Jump to content
    Daddydavek
  • Author
  • 1,348 Words
  • 3,888 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dean Warner Intrigues - 9. Another Gunshot

Chapter 9 Another Gunshot

 

Dean went to the kitchen and got a drink of water from the front of the refrigerator which had a dispenser. He finished and then walked to his bedroom and flipped on the light and flopped on his bed all in one practiced movement.

BANG! THNNKK.

Dean rolled on the floor and pulled his cellphone out of his pocket and dialed 911 which again was answered at once. “My name is Dean Warner at 946 North Ash Street and I just walked in my room, flipped on a light and flopped on my bed and heard a gunshot and the sound of the bullet hitting my bookcase. I rolled on the floor and don't know if the shooter is coming for me. Please hurry!”

The operator told Dean to stay down and on the line. Police were being dispatched. Dean looked around and wanted to squeeze under his bed but knew there was so much junk under there that he had no chance. He was sweating and hoped the shooter was not coming to finish him off. He wished he had never flipped on his light switch. He felt like a tartget was painted on him.

“Are you still there” the operator asked? “Yeah” he mutterd. “You should be hearing sirens momentarily.”

On cue, wailing sirens could be heard converging from both directions of his street. Dean still felt scared and he stayed on his floor until he heard police with dogs outside his window and then the sound of his front door being kicked open and a policeman suddenly popped into his room with his gun out. “You okay kid?”

“Just scared shitless” was the sincere reply. “Any sign of the shooter?”

“I don't think so, but we have the dogs and men equipped to follow a trail. We also dispatched squad cars to the park and blocking all the entrances and exits to see if we could block him.”

Dean picked himself up and looked at the window that had been shot through for the second time in just a few months time. He noticed his alarm clock indicate it was quarter after two and knew he wasn't going to get any sleep anytime soon. He broke the connection to the 911 operator and called John's number.

“What?”

“I need a lawyer. When I went into my bedroom and flipped on the light, I flopped on my bed just as a shot rang out and the bullet smashed into my bookcase. I'm not hurt but the police are here now and I could use your support.”

“I'm moving....I got to get dressed and I'll be there as soon as I can.”

“Thanks!”

The policeman ushered Dean to the kitchen. A short time later Detective Jack Turner entered the house and came into the kitchen and nodded to Dean and told the policeman waiting with him that he could go. Dean told the detective that his attorney was coming and the detective gave Dean a questioning stare, and Dean said, “John Trask, III, because of my status as beneficiary of that trust administered by their law firm, we've become friends as well and I am sure I could use his support.”

“When will your mom get home?”

“Oh shit, ehhh exuse me, I forgot to call her.” Dean whipped out his cell phone and called his mom.

“Mom it's Dean, the police are here, I am ok, but there was another gunshot and the bullet just missed me.” “It came through the window again.” “Ok, I'll see you when you get here. Drive carefully. I'm not going anywhere. Oh, I've called John Trask and he's on his way over.”

A short time later John arrived and a few minutes after that Debbie stormed into the house and ran up to Dean, grabbed him to her and said: “What in the hell is going on here?” She turned and spotted Jack Turner and continued: “Well detective?”

“The evidence units are on the way. The tactical units took off with the dogs and headed into the park behind your house. Dispatch sent units to block the park entrances. County is supposed to be sending a helicopter as well. We had almost everybody on duty tonight as we were doing some night training in a drill when the call came in and all units were assigned and dispatched.”

“Now I need a statement from Dean detailing all his activities over the past 24 hours.”

It was a long night indeed. Debbie made coffee. The evidence unit arrived and made a mess in Dean's room. Debbie wanted to go outside and tell her neighbors whom the police had held back and tell them what she knew, but Turner said we are releasing no information at this time, even to neighbors. Dean detailed his actions over the past twenty-four hours and John was questioned as well. In the process of course, Debbie learned Dean was seeing John and gave John a knowing look. Dean didn't see it as he was avoiding looking at his mom.

It was a little after five in the morning when Turner told them that a rental car was found in the park but it was clean. The car was rented on Sunday in Terre Haute by a woman identified as Mary Breen using a prepaid Visa Card. The driver's license showed she had an address in Springfield IL. The dogs had followed a scent trail to the lake in the park and the trail ended at the waters edge. They walked the dogs two miles along the bank in both directions and could not pick up any scent trail or evidence the man came out of the water. The old county helicopter failed inspection on pre-flight check-out and never got off the ground.

“Well that brings you up-to-date with what we know. I am advising Dean to stay away from windows in lighted rooms at night and to be careful. The slug dug out of your wooden bookcase was a rifle round. Evidence teams will be doing a search along the back of your property and the adjacent property out for several hundred feet to see if we can find the cartridge starting when it gets lighter outside. A rifle can be fired at a distance, especially with a scope. Police units will be in the area all day and possible longer. Your front door is not secured and Dean, your room is a mess. I suggest you take your mom to a motel and get some rooms and get some rest as you both look like you could use it. I have your cell phone numbers. Take your chargers and take care of yourselves. One of my men will take you as I don't want anyone seeing Dean leaving the premises.”

John Trask turned to Debbie: “Mrs Warner, I have a guest bedroom you can use and Dean can crash with me. It will save you the hassle of a motel and I would feel better knowing you were in a building with some security.”

Debbie was about to object but Turner said, “we will shield them getting into the car and they are to stay down. Does your building have inside parking?” John indicated it did.”

“ Let me grab a bag and you better grab what you need too Dean and we can go” said Debbie.

When they got to John's place, he showed them in and took Debbie to the guest room which had its own ensuite bathroom. It was nearly eight o'clock and they heard the shower come on in the guest bathroom as John and Dean both went to the master bathroom to take a leak. They finished, washed their hands, brushed their teeth and then stripped and fell into bed. John remembered to call the office and left a message to explain what happened and that he would not be in today. They both turned their cell phones off and put them on a charger before they fell asleep.

2012, Daddydavek; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 24
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well that's one way to introduce your new beau to your mom. I am a bit confused, a) how do they know the gun'man' is a man - especially since a woman rented the abandoned car and B) doesn't Dean's window face Weiss/Weitzel's house? How could the shooter get through the same window again without being in that house?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/23/2012 10:37 PM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Well that's one way to introduce your new beau to your mom. I am a bit confused, a) how do they know the gun'man' is a man - especially since a woman rented the abandoned car and B) doesn't Dean's window face Weiss/Weitzel's house? How could the shooter get through the same window again without being in that house?
I should have provided a map of the area. Ash street curves gently and the houses are fairly far apart. I think I mentioned 60 feet in the story, so they are angled slightly.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, the shooter is very brave or stupid one. Wonder if the shooter killed the lady who rented the car or what. Lot of mystery here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/12/2012 06:12 AM, joann414 said:
Well, the shooter is very brave or stupid one. Wonder if the shooter killed the lady who rented the car or what. Lot of mystery here.
Perhaps the shooter was very well paid and didn't want to be a target himself should he have failed his mission. Or perhaps it was just he couldn't trust that Dean hadn't seen him?
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Just when things were going so smoothly, danger is rearing its ugly head.
Dean doesn't realize it yet, but he is very lucky to have his mom's seal of approval regarding his burgeoning relationship wth John.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/12/2015 07:57 AM, Reader1810 said:

Just when things were going so smoothly, danger is rearing its ugly head.

Dean doesn't realize it yet, but he is very lucky to have his mom's seal of approval regarding his burgeoning relationship wth John.

Danger is stalking Dean and he and his mom are right to be worried. Thanks for reading and reviewing.

Link to comment
On 07/12/2015 07:57 AM, Reader1810 said:

Just when things were going so smoothly, danger is rearing its ugly head.

Dean doesn't realize it yet, but he is very lucky to have his mom's seal of approval regarding his burgeoning relationship wth John.

Danger is stalking Dean and he and his mom are right to be worried. Thanks for reading and reviewing.

Link to comment
On 04/26/2016 12:24 AM, Timothy M. said:

This is where the criminal stuff goes from random to personal and rather scary for Dean. :o

The conclusion is inescapable, Dean is a target...

Link to comment

Hey, does anyone have any extra fingernails I can borrow? I seem to have bitten mine during this chapter. :P

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Ajbt2001 said:

Hey, does anyone have any extra fingernails I can borrow? I seem to have bitten mine during this chapter. :P

 

Being shot at is beyond scary and the second one rules out any possible coincidence...

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..