Jump to content
    David McLeod
  • Author
  • 4,139 Words
  • 1,860 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Protector of Children - 9. Chapter 9: Synergy Part 3: Refuge

em>Casey and Aiden made a lump in the middle of the bed. That’s not what I saw first, though. What I saw first were two pairs of Casey’s pajamas strewn around the room. Looked like Gary and Uncle George had put the boys in pajamas, and they’d rejected them. I pulled back the covers. I was right. They were both naked and cuddled close together. The bed reeked of boy-pheromones.

Synergy Part 3: Refuge

“…ideas which divide one group of human beings from another, only to unite them in slaughter,
generally have their roots in religion.”

—Sam Harris, The End of Faith

 

Calvin

I think I’ve skipped a bunch of things. Mama had decided she didn’t want to live on the ranch, anymore. She wanted to sell it, and could have … she was sole trustee now that Fred was dead. But Uncle George stepped in when he saw how much I would miss the place. He agreed to be trustee; however, it wasn’t that easy, especially when Fred’s brother and some developer tried to get in the middle of things. It seems Fred had made some promises that he hadn’t told Mother about.

The attorneys kept looking at the kid Uncle George had brought with us. Aiden—that’s the kid’s name—read every word on every document, especially the ones dealing with water and mineral rights. And caught some mistakes. At least, everybody acted like they were mistakes. I was pretty sure that Fred-the-Dead’s brother had tried to screw us. He got really pissed off a couple of times. The brother got pissed off, that is. Fred’s dead, remember?

Turned out, Fred had no rights at all, and what was accidentally going to be signed over to his brother and the developer, wasn’t.

 

I figured Casey would be bored with all the legal stuff, but he didn’t act like he usually did when he was bored. I wondered about that, and watched him, and finally figured out that he was looking at Aiden. Then, a couple of times, I thought I caught Aiden looking over the top of one of the documents at Casey. I wasn’t sure what was going on, but something was.

Kevin was a mystery, too. He sat beside me, and every once in a while touched me under the table. But I didn’t feel any sex stuff. Then, I realized that he was reassuring me. His touches came when it looked like Fred’s brother had scored a point … until Aiden shot it down. It was like Kevin knew what was going on. He’s getting his powers, I thought. He’s seeing things in Aiden’s mind—and probably in mine!

I decided to test how well Kevin could read me, so I thought about what we had done, last night. I could feel Kevin get really hard. Then Aiden put down the paper he was reading.

Is there a problem, Casey?” he asked. He didn’t say it aloud.

I blushed, and clamped down on my thoughts. I’m pretty sure Kevin’s giggle was just in our minds.

 

After the paperwork was done, we drove to the El Paso airport to put Mama on the plane to Miami, where she was going to live with her sister. Then, Uncle George took us to supper at a Dave and Busters—where Gary and Nemesis were waiting for us. Casey was the only one who didn’t know them. I did the introductions.

“Casey, this is Gary Walters and his son, Nemesis. They’re good friends of mine—and of Uncle George and Kevin and Aiden.”

“Anybody hungry?” Gary asked after Casey had shaken hands with Gary and knocked fists with Nemesis. Don’t know which one of the youngsters answered fastest.

 

“How come you came to Texas?” I asked Gary. Pizza had been ordered, and we were killing time until it arrived. “Are you going to bring an expansion team to El Paso?”

El Paso had a “South League” team, and every few years a couple of the real teams played an exhibition game in the Veterans Stadium. Wasn’t the same thing, though.

“I’d not thought of that,” Gary said. “No, I’m thinking of a way to help you make your ranch keep paying for itself, and to give an experience to some city boys who’ve never seen a ranch … or a rattlesnake.”

I got a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. Uncle George had told me that even though we owned the ranch free and clear, it was going to be hard to hold onto it. Mostly because some developers knew we had heavy-duty water rights, and had talked a couple of crooked County Commissioners into raising the property taxes, hoping to force us into foreclosure for taxes so they could build ticky-tacky retirement communities.

At first, I was a little mistrustful of Gary … even though I trusted Uncle George. But, there was something about what Gary said and how he said it, so I decided to at least listen.

“What you got in mind, sir?” I asked.

Gary told us about all the boys in the orphanage who had grown up surrounded by concrete and asphalt.

“Chicago used to have some incredible parks … Grants Park and Lincoln Park stretched for miles along the lakefront; and there were dozens of others.

“The parks have been taken over by the homeless and the gangs. The police can’t do anything about it. There aren’t enough cops, and the gangs are better armed. Drug sales raise more money than taxes, and buy better weapons … and public officials and judges.”

Aiden got a funny look, then, but it didn’t last, and Gary kept talking.

“Erewhon was built on property we thought would be safe, secure, and secluded.

“That’s changed, and we may have to relocate, soon.”

Nemesis sucked in a breath, so I figured this was news to him.

“I’m looking for a place that is … and will remain … safe, secure, and secluded for a long time to come.

I had to admit that the ranch in its box canyon met those criteria. However: “How many people are you talking about?” I asked.

“Initially, 1,132,” Gary said. “As of 8:15 this morning. Plus the construction crews and their families. Maybe more, later.”

My mouth must have been hanging open, ’cause I felt drool running down my chin.

“More than a thousand people!” I saw the wide-open spaces disappear, and the ticky-tacky the developer wanted to build popping up all over the canyon.

“Not like that,” Gary said.

He’d just seen what I was thinking! Uncle George had shown me he could do it, and then promised he wouldn’t unless I asked or he thought I was in danger. I told him he could do it, any time he wanted. Actually, it was kind of fun, thinking about him and me until he got a stiffie. Sort of like what I was doing to Kevin in the lawyer’s office. Oops! TMI. Besides, Gary was still talking.

“We’d want to build some group homes … something like two-story farm houses, and maybe some bunk houses and a mess hall … uh, chow hall.

“It’s hard to explain … I could show you…?”

Nemesis interrupted, claiming (or complaining) that he hadn’t come here to talk business, and challenged “anybody” to skee-ball. By “anybody” it was pretty clear he meant Gary. They excused themselves. Aiden dragged a willing Casey and a puzzled Kevin behind him, leaving Uncle George and me at the table.

It wasn’t hard for me to figure out. “They arranged that … Nemesis and Aiden … to get the others away, didn’t they?” I asked.

“Um hmm. They knew I needed some alone-time with you. Well, Nemesis and Aiden did. Gary isn’t as comfortable eaves-dropping on people’s thoughts as the boys are.”

“What’s up?” I asked. I wanted to believe Uncle George was trying to look after me, but I was a little afraid. Then, everything stood still. Uncle George scooted around the banquette and hugged me.

“I love you, Calvin, and I will never do anything to hurt you. I hope that I will never do anything to disappoint you.

“Gary didn’t contact me until after we had left the lawyer’s office … I really didn’t know myself what he wanted until he told you. Please don’t hold that against Gary … he’s not trying to pull anything over on you … he’s a direct, upfront guy, and he expects everyone else to be that way, too. He lays things out the way they are … what you see, what you hear, is what is. If you say no, it’s over, and Gary will still be a nice guy and our friend.

“I trust him; I trust him a lot. Before I met you, he was my first and only friend. Would you please listen to what he has to say? Maybe invite him and Nemesis to come back to the ranch?”

Only friend? Uncle George was over 200 years old, and Gary was his first and only friend before me? I reached out and hugged him especially tightly. I’ve got to work hard to make up for that! I thought.

Uncle George laughed. It was a happy laugh, not just a “that’s funny” laugh. He knew what I had just thought. I was glad he did, and that he found pleasure in it. He didn’t laugh often. I was so happy, I sneaked a quick kiss. Then, Uncle George tugged my arm, the world started up again—and I kicked his butt at skee-ball.

I’m playing skee-ball with Death, I thought. At the next two machines are my little brother and four gods. Yeah, I’d figured by now that Aiden was one of them … one of us, I guess, given what all I could do, now. Who’d have thought …?”

All of this was making me a little dizzy … I needed time to think … so I invited them home with us.

“Gary? I want to know more about what you said … and, someday, I want a skee-ball lesson! Can you and Nemesis come home with us? It’s a couple of hour drive…?”

Actually, even pushing the speed limit a little, it’s nearly a four-hour drive from El Paso to Silver City, and another hour to the ranch. I knew, however, that as soon as Casey fell asleep in the back seat, Uncle George would translocate us most of the way home.

“Thank you, Calvin,” Gary said. I felt really good inside. He’d said that to me like he really meant it, like it was really important, and like I wasn’t just a kid.

 

Impala was in the parking lot. He was the black Hummer, today. And he had the same white star over the right headlight that Impala had over his eye. It was really tiny, and if you didn’t know it was there, you wouldn’t see it. Oh, and there was the same huge GPS screen as in the Mustang.

I was right. Casey fell asleep before we left the El Paso city limits, and Uncle George popped us past Silver City as soon as we hit a deserted stretch of road. By the time we got to the ranch, Aiden had fallen asleep, too. Gary carried Aiden and Uncle George carried Casey into the house. Casey woke just enough to ask if Aiden could sleep in his room; Aiden woke just enough to nod. Something passed between Gary and Uncle George. Then, Uncle George said something that floored me. Yeah, I, Calvin, who made love to Death (and played skee-ball with him) was flabbergasted.

“Calvin? This is your house, now. It’s your decision.”

Yeah, I guess it is. But I’m way over my head, here. “What do you think?” I asked.

Again, something passed between Gary and Uncle George, and they both nodded.

“Okay, then. Will you please put them to bed?”

 

“Calvin? I have work to do … and you have guests.” Uncle George had gone; this was Death talking.

“Would you sleep with Kevin while I’m gone? He is still trying to reach understanding; he’ll need cuddles … at least.”

The at least was additional, if unneeded confirmation, that Uncle George was okay with Kevin and me having sex.

I nodded, and went to find Kevin.

* * * * *

Even though Casey and I had separate bedrooms for several years … even since Fred-the-Dead started fucking me, I realized … I still woke up Casey every morning. Usually, it was for chores, even though we didn’t really have to do them any more. After all, we owned the ranch, and the crew Uncle George brought in was very efficient.

Still, the next morning I crawled out of bed at the usual time. Kevin was sleeping soundly. He probably hasn’t had many good sleeps since his father kicked him out of the house, I thought. I kissed his forehead, gently so not to wake him. Then, shivering a little in the cold, I walked to Casey’s room.

He and Aiden made a lump in the middle of the bed. That’s not what I saw, first, though. What I saw first were two pairs of Casey’s pajamas strewn around the room. Looked like Gary and Uncle George had put the boys in pajamas, and they’d rejected them. I pulled back the covers. I was right. They were both naked, and cuddled close together. The bed reeked of boy-pheromones.

At first, I was kind of happy. Uncle George and I were so happy together; Kevin and I were going to be happy—and Bobby, soon. I knew that. I wanted Casey to find happiness, too. I just hoped that Aiden—who I knew was a god—hadn’t taken advantage of him. I frowned at that thought.

I must have broadcast my concern, because I heard steps behind me, and then Nemesis’s voice. “Calvin? They’ll sleep for a while; why don’t you and I talk?”

 

There were notes for me in the kitchen. Uncle George was still at work, and Gary was running errands. That meant he was at work, too. Both were at their primary jobs. They both would be back in time for supper.

I was accustomed to drinking coffee in the morning, so I made a pot, and offered some to Nemesis. He accepted, although I thought he put entirely too much cream and sugar in it. He must have caught that, because he giggled.

“The first time after I was Nemesis and Gary gave me coffee? He said he nearly got nauseated watching me put so much cream and sugar in it. I used to like coffee, a lot, but when I became a little boy, again, I guess I didn’t like it so much, but I still drink it, sometimes.”

“Nemesis? You saw Casey and Aiden … Casey’s my little brother. I want him to be happy, but … the gods have powers. Did Aiden take advantage of Casey?”

Nemesis looked surprised and a little—pissed, I guess: he raised his eyebrows and set his lips in a frown.

“No way. Absolutely, no way,” he said.

“Gary has rules for us boys … the ones who are beholden to him, like me and Aiden.

“I have rules, too. You do know who Gary is, and who I am?” This wasn’t a twelve-year-old boy talking; this was an immortal god.

I wasn’t afraid, though.

“Yeah, I know who you are. You and Gary and Aiden are gods … but you don’t scare me, and I don’t really care what you can do. You’re on my territory, now. I’ve killed rattlesnakes and coyotes and a Ker. They’re supposed to be immortal, you know.

“I was raped by my step-father. He raped Casey, too, and I nearly killed Casey trying to protect him. I would have if Death hadn’t intervened.” I said Death deliberately; this wasn’t an Uncle George thing.

“God or no god, if one of you has taken advantage of my little brother, he’s gonna be in trouble!”

 

Nemesis

Wow! Calvin’s got the same kind of courage that Gary has—standing up to me like Gary stood up to Dike at our first meeting. When Calvin was talking, I got really worried—I wasn’t sure what to say, but that memory gave me the answer. So did what Gary had told me about his meeting with Dike at the Italian-Mafia restaurant.

“Calvin? Thank you for standing up to me. I don’t think anyone has challenged a Nemesis in centuries.”

My thank you put Calvin off-balance long enough for me to continue. “Hubris, or false pride, has been the downfall of both mortals and gods for centuries—at least, in our world. You’ve reminded me not to be too proud. Thank you for that, as well.

“It would be impossible for me to hurt you or Casey. I’ve hurt and been hurt, and I’ve seen so much hurt, that I would die—literally die—before I could hurt a child.

“Aiden, too.”

“Aiden too, what?” came a voice from the doorway. Aiden stepped into the kitchen, followed by Casey.

“Aiden, too, is a pain in the butt,” Nemesis said, before pulling the boy into a hug and giving him a more than friends kiss. He held out his arms to Casey, too, but Casey stepped back. He had a really odd expression on his face. His expression scrunched up, as if he were going to cry, and he half-turned. Before he could run away … and that’s what I knew he was going to do … I grabbed him into a hug and gave him a big sloppy kiss on the mouth.

“Ummm, delicious. I may just eat you for breakfast!”

Casey stiffened, and I knew what he and Aiden had done, last night.

“Hey, kiddo,” I said. “It’s okay. Really, it’s okay. I know, and it’s okay.”

I looked at Aiden and raised my eyebrows. He acted like he was afraid of me. Now, I understood why. Like Nemesis, he had no powers unless I did something wrong; and, this was my territory. My position had been confirmed by Gary and Death. I kept looking at Aiden until he said, “Casey? It’s really okay. He knows, and he’s really okay with it.”

Casey and I had never had sex, and now that I was bound so tightly to Uncle George and Kevin … and, soon, Bobby, I knew we probably never would. Uncle George and I had hidden from Casey who Uncle George was, and what he was turning me into. We had hidden our relationship. I knew that we no longer could do that.

Casey shrugged off my hug, and then walked calmly from the room. We heard him running down the hallway. We heard the door to his room slam shut. We heard the lock engage. There was only one thought in our minds: What do we do, now?

Kevin came in, then. He knew something was wrong, but he wasn’t sure what. I wasn’t about to take time to explain. Casey had to come first.

“We need help,” Aiden said.

“I can get Uncle George back here,” I said. He had given me his cell number, and said it would work no matter where in the world—or time—he was. Actually, I knew that if I really needed him, he’d know it, and come home instantly.

“I was thinking of someone a little less scary,” Aiden said. He giggled at my frown.

“Uncle George is not scary!” I said.

“You know what I mean,” Aiden said.

“Okay, who do you have in mind?”

“How about a goddess … one of the old ones … who’s also kind of our grandmother?” Aiden said.

Casey and I had never known a grandmother. “Sounds okay, to me.”

Nemesis pulled out a cell phone and punched a button.

I didn’t hear all he said, but as soon as he flipped the phone closed, Dike appeared in the middle of the kitchen. Nemesis and Aiden ran to her for hugs, which made me feel better. Also, a little lonely.

Then, she smiled and opened her arms. I was older than both Nemesis and Aiden, but I wasn’t ashamed to get a big hug from her. Neither was Kevin.

 

I felt Dike’s concern … and understood that she’d read me during the hug. For some reason, that didn’t bother me.

“Calvin has suffered several shocks,” she said. “He’s gotten a glimpse of what’s going on. He knows that Aiden isn’t just an ordinary little boy. And, I think, he sees what is happening to him.

“None of you have done anything wrong,” she said. “I will speak to him.”

 

Gary came in while Dike was talking to Casey. He got a good kiss and an explanation from Nemesis.

 

The hardest part for me was explaining to Casey who Uncle George really was. Yeah, he was Death, but he was a nice guy … and I loved him very much. Casey just thought he was a nice guy, and didn’t wonder why I was such good friends with the new foreman, who was older than me.

Casey was awed to learn that Uncle George was really Death and that I was his official assistant, with Attributes, Aspects, and Authorities. He was okay with Gary and Nemesis being gods. What he had trouble accepting, and what hurt him, was that Aiden was a god, too, and that Aiden was powerful, smart, and … powerful. And Casey wasn’t any of those things.

Dike had given him something which seemed to settle that. I still don’t know what she said to Casey. All I know is that it worked … and that Casey started finding his own power: his Attributes, Aspects, and Authorities as … well, I’m not sure, yet. I think it has something to do with the out-of-doors.

 

Agreement

Things had settled down by the next morning. I went to awaken Casey, but he and Aiden were already up. By the time I got back to my room, Kevin was awake. He and I found everyone else in the kitchen.

I could cook a seven-course meal over a campfire, but I was lost in the kitchen. I was glad that Gary had organized things. Nemesis fried pork chops, Aiden cut up fruit, and Gary made buckwheat pancakes. Uncle George set the table. Casey, Kevin, and I just sat back and watched. I think we all were a little awed at how much power was involved in fixing breakfast.

“Pancakes are part of a tradition Gary started just after we found Bobby,” Nemesis said. “You three are part of us … and this is our way of welcoming you.”

 

After breakfast, Uncle George went back to work, and the others found things to do, leaving Gary and me alone. I figured it was time to discuss the real reason for his visit, and invited him into what had been Fred-the-Dead’s study.

“I’m not sure I should talk to you about this without Uncle George here,” Gary said. “I don’t mean that you aren’t the only one who can decide, but I don’t want anyone, ever, to think that I took advantage of you. You need … I’m sorry … but you need an adult here.”

I laughed. And realized that recently I’d not laughed very often.

“Gary, I’m of age by the laws of this state. Uncle George has told me that I’m in charge … not only of the ranch, but also of my destiny. And Casey’s, too. Except that I think Dike has sort of short-circuited that a little bit.

“Uncle George trusts you. He said you were his friend. I don’t know how to say this, but if you are his friend and he trusts you, I have to trust you. It’s …”

“I think I understand,” Gary said. “You and Death and I, and the others, we’re individuals, but we’re also part of something much bigger than all of us put together.”

All I could do was nod agreement. Gary looked hard at me, and then nodded, too.

“Here’s what I have in mind.”

Gary showed me on paper and in his mind what he wanted to do. It wouldn’t destroy the ranch, as the developers wanted to do. It would be natural and green, and it would help kids who had been abused … I had to ask Gary to stop showing me some of the abuse stuff: it was just too much.

I agreed. Gary and I shook hands. We didn’t need a contract; we didn’t need witnesses, although I knew that Aiden was nearby, and could create and witness any legal document that we might need.

Gary and I were going to do this, together. If I hadn’t been so much in love with Death, and Gary so much in love with Nemesis, we’d have sealed the bargain with a kiss. As it was, the handshake was … well, I got a serious woodie, and when Uncle George got home that evening … our reunion was pretty incredible.

em>Casey and Aiden made a lump in the middle of the bed. That’s not what I saw first, though. What I saw first were two pairs of Casey’s pajamas strewn around the room. Looked like Gary and Uncle George had put the boys in pajamas, and they’d rejected them. I pulled back the covers. I was right. They were both naked and cuddled close together. The bed reeked of boy-pheromones.
Copyright © 2013 David McLeod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..