Jump to content
    Doctor Oger
  • Author
  • 894 Words
  • 1,349 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Batshit Mages - 3. Necromancy Nerd

p align="justify">Prompt 460 - Creative
Tag – First Line
“Who invited you?”

"Who invited you?"

"Magister Braegan," said Teague.

The fat man with the dried scales all over his face consulted his little leatherbound folder, then nodded. "And you?" he asked Kjeld, who was standing a little behind Teague.

"He's with me," said Teague.

"This isn't a dinner party. You can't just bring a plus one to a demonstration," said the scaly man. Kjeld looked at Teague and started fidgeting with his sleeves. Teague's gaze stayed fixed on the man's. In fact, his dry, level expression never changed and he only quirked a brow. The man looked to the side and let out an irritated breath, then waved them both through. Teague walked past him with his expressionless face and Kjeld followed him nervously.

"What was that?" he asked quietly as they were walking through the narrow, gloomy hallway, passing the odd torchholder and an iron door here and there.

"A bouncer," said Teague, looking ahead.

"No, I mean... he said you couldn't bring me and then he just let us through anyway?"

"Yeah?"

"What was that about?"

"He's a very important man. With a very important job," said Teague with a sideways glance at Kjeld. "To turn away people who haven't signed up for the demonstration. Because if anyone could just come and watch without an archmage's reference, where would we be? Anarchy," Teague explained drily. Kjeld laughed.

"It does feel a little... forbidding," he said with a smirky look around the dark, grimy hallway. "As though a lot of really secret secrecies are going on down here." He glanced back at Teague, who just seemed as if he had smirked a bit.

The demonstration turned out to be surprisingly boring. Kjeld had expected an exclusive necromancy show for teachers' pets to entail at least a walking dog skeleton or a snapping skull or two. But instead, they sat through a two-hour lecture over a severed human leg that was getting picked apart layer by layer. Teague listened intently. He seemed very engrossed and barely moved. For a while, Kjeld was convinced the boy didn't even blink. But when he finally did, even that looked extremely focused.

Necromancy. Nerds.

 

"Why was that such a secret affair?" Kjeld asked during lunch. He would have asked the point of the whole boring lecture earlier, but Teague had been too preoccupied scribbling things into his little notebook and looking thoughtfully absent. Now he had had to put the book and his pencil away to be able to hold his bread.

"What?" He looked up at Kjeld.

"The lecture."

"It wasn't secret."

"But down there in the dungeon? With a bouncer who turns away people who haven‘t been invited by an archmage?"

Teague shrugged. He didn't seem to understand quite what Kjeld meant.

"It was so exclusive. But they only talked about skin layers and bone and stuff."

"Well, it was pretty advanced," Teague offered. Then he smirked a bit. "Told you you would be bored."

"I think I nodded off a few times," Kjeld admitted.

"So you probably missed the interesting bits."

"What interesting bits? The bonesaw? The fat layer wriggling?"

Teague laughed. Kjeld had to grin. A laughing Teague, what a rare and not altogether unappealing sight.

"The bits that were directions to creating reviving spells," Teague explained. "Those are actually dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. That's why they don't let just anyone listen."

That actually made sense. Kjeld nodded and looked down at his lunch. He didn't much care for the stale bread and even staler cheeses they had here. At home, his diet had consisted of meats, herbs and flat stonebaked breads for the most part. Here on the island, however, this mostly human-civilisation-based food had to keep for a while and be as simple and inexpensive as possible, apparently. The tower was wealthy and powerful, but it seemed as though no worldly pleasures were supposed to dull the acute minds of the magic students here, and not one bit of silver could be wasted on them if it could buy a vial, some ink or an interesting ingredient instead. Kjeld felt like a conscripted monk.

He felt Teague's scrutinizing attention on him. The boy never knew when he was staring. He looked up at him.

"You're really picky," Teague observed calmly. "Whenever you do try some of your lunch or dinner, you pull a face and stop eating after a few bites. What do you live on?"

"Breakfast. And I do not 'pull faces'." He really didn't. He was a proven expert at facial neutrality. Teague held up his hands and smiled apologetically.

"Sorry, my friend, but you do. Like a spoilt toddler."

"We can't all be masters of The Perfect Stone Mask like yourself." Kjeld shrugged. Teague mirrored the shrug and smiled ruefully.

"I get that a lot."

This peaked Kjeld's interest. "That you have an expressionless face?" He had meant that as a joke. Teague's expressions and gestures were always calm and controlled, very understated, but very expressive nonetheless. They were subtle, but if you cared to look and listen, you could see and hear every last bit of meaning and emotion. Now Teague nodded once. As usual, it was a very short and small nod. But it said what it needed to say. Kjeld smiled. "People are blind."

Teague kept staring at him thoughtfully.

 

p align="justify">Prompt 460 - Creative
Tag – First Line
“Who invited you?”
Copyright © 2017 Doctor Oger; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..