Jump to content
    Doctor Oger
  • Author
  • 405 Words
  • 820 Views
  • 4 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Sock Drawer - 1. Ill or nothing

Symbolist prose-poetry.

Ill or nothing

I remember how I used to look up at skies red like bloody sick. So crimson, and glowing like a pest blain, it seemed to call out to me in a fever, waiting for death to cut open its skin and release the blood and pus to spill out over the whole world. When it looked like this it never rained. My eyes would droop and my mouth drop open, and smoke and sweaty steam would creep into my nostrils until their tang began to sicken me, and all I could smell was that rotten grease. The entire city was coated in it. The grime, and sick. And the sky even was sick, we’d damned the sky. I waited for it to die.

That was why I never smiled. The city was a stinking pit of darkness. The people there were pitted black strips of tar smeared with ash, and filled to the brim with despair, and fear. They lashed out at anything blacker than they, slunk into darker shadows when night fell, and devoured everything that smelled clean and innocent enough to not give them smallpox. Everyone, and I was no exception, lived in fear and futile anger. I was too calm, too reserved, to succumb to the fever. I only watched. And waited. For the sky to break open and drown us all in purulence and wound water, I used to think. But no, I didn’t really wait for anything. Now I think, would it have been better if it had stayed that way forever?

Smiling used to be impossible and now I can’t stop. The sky is dark blue and clear, with white stars brilliantly blinking down. And the occasional wisp of a cloud is ghosting swiftly across that vast noble space. My smile began today. Today began a year ago, or an aeon back in the past. My serene and stony face never moves. Now I know. I know I could not have known better. I exchanged fear of the future with the knowledge of nothing more to come.

Under the red sky time seemed tedious and endless, now it does not exist anymore. My eyes never close, my mouth never opens and my nose is a pit with ragged edges, and the long slender curved blade that I hold up by two handles throws a dull slash across the empty sky, forever.

Copyright © 2017 Doctor Oger; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow, Doc, that's really chilling.

 

Your descriptions and details gave me shivers. The bloody sky, the darkness of the city, the people who never smiled and hid in fear gave such a sense of depression to the piece.

 

Great job, Doc! :) Hopefully the next one will be a bit more cheerful...?

Link to comment
On 10/06/2015 04:07 AM, Lisa said:

Wow, Doc, that's really chilling.

 

Your descriptions and details gave me shivers. The bloody sky, the darkness of the city, the people who never smiled and hid in fear gave such a sense of depression to the piece.

 

Great job, Doc! :) Hopefully the next one will be a bit more cheerful...?

Sure, I'll make it a cheerier one.

Thank you very much!

It seems to have had the desired effect.

Thank you for the review.

Link to comment
On 01/15/2016 06:08 AM, Roberto Zuniga said:

So much imagery! This is so well constructed and so intense and deep and dark and luminiscent. I can only say BRAVO!

Thank you so very much.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..