Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Aglanthol 3 - The Castle of Saelethiel (The Law Cannot Be Shaken) - 20. Chapter 20

Time passed by. Magath was lying on his back on the ground. The feelings of despair and shame slowly faded. Magath gazed into the darkness. He ignored the rain. Time was running out and it was too late to alter the course. The past was gone and could not be undone. It did not matter any longer anyway. Time was running out. Time had starting ticking. There was no future for him. There was only one door. With every hour that passed, he stepped closer to it. Soon he would place his hand on its knob. Soon he would step through the ultimate door.

Magath swallowed. Was death really the ultimate end? Or was it just a threshold, a passage? Magath thought of what he would have to leave behind: Tanmil, his home, and the people he loved. His neighbour Dran. Gwyn, the old woman who had always been supportive and kind. Neldor, the wizard, who had taught him the mind focusing magic. And above all...

Magath let out a sob and tears filled his eyes. He would have to leave behind the man he had loved more than all others. Qildor. They had barely had time to get to know each other. Magath let out another sob. He regretted so many things. He would miss all the people. He would miss Qildor so much. Fate was cruel. It had not even granted him a final farewell. Magath’s heart broke and he started to grieve. Deep sadness took hold of him. Magath grieved his own death. He mourned his own loss. The feeling was aching and painful. Close to his death, he pitied himself. The feeling was bitter and cruel.

~~**~~

Time passed by. Ogol was lying on his back. The feelings of despair and shame slowly faded. He looked into the darkness. His body felt numb and his mind was more and more blurred. Ogol knew that his time ran out. The path ahead was short and he would soon reach the ultimate door.

Ogol took a deep breath. Images of his past came to his mind. They were vivid and lively. They appeared randomly and there was no obvious connection between them. Ogol looked at them. He made no further attempt to escape or even bring down the brethren. His time had come. Ogol already sensed the knob of the door that would lead him out of here in the end.

Ogol watched the images that came to his mind. Images from his childhood. They showed happy days with his parents and friends. He had been a cheerful boy, curious and smart. Images showed him with his mentor, the Khalindash shaman who had taught him and had set his hope on him. Ogol had been eager to learn. He had been greedy for knowledge. He was open-minded and welcomed the world. He had had plans for the future. Ogol swallowed and his eyelids flickered. What had become of him?

Another image showed up and showed a classroom that was filled with students. Ogol winced at the sight of the image. He remembered the day very well. The image did not dissolve. Ogol was forced to look at it. An Aglanthol boy, about fifteen years old, stood in front of him. Ogol was the oldest in his class and he felt uncomfortable among the young boys. His Aglanthol fellow-student sensed Ogol’s insecurity and he started to tease him. The boy grinned at Ogol and told him that, no matter how talented he was, Ogol as a Khalindash man would never make a career. Ogol turned to his teacher, hoping the man would scold his fellow-student. But the man smiled mildly at Ogol and said that a career perhaps was only something for a haughty man. His eyes rested warmly on Ogol and then the man said that a simple shaman could do so much good to the people.

Ogol cringed. He gazed into the darkness with widened eyes. His hands and his lips shivered. A foolish boy had teased him. A fifteen-year-old loudmouth had fooled him around. Why? Why had Ogol believed him?

Ogol swallowed. He licked his dry lips. His teacher had not insulted him. The wise man had given him a subtle warning. Pride comes before a fall. The words echoed in Ogol’s mind. This was the warning. Ogol now understood. He had misunderstood the man’s words. He had stepped on a path of revenge without reasons. He had wasted twenty years of his life. It was his own fault. The blame lay with him.

Ogol gave a grunt. He took a deep breath. Why had he never pondered again on his teacher’s words? All his life was built on self-deceit. As a simple shaman he could have done so much good to the people.

Ogol turned his head aside. He felt regret, remorse, and deep sadness. He had wasted his life and no one was to blame for it but him. Ogol thought of the brethren. Was his old teacher among them? Did he see him now? Did he see Ogol’s ruin? Did the man despise him? Or did he pity him?

Ogol closed his eyes. He felt sorrow and grief for his own wasted life. However, the feeling lasted only a short time. Ogol had not accepted his fate for twenty wasted years. He would not waste another minute with deceiving himself. He would accept his failure and his defeat. Inwardly, Ogol straightened and lifted his chin.

"No man can avoid his destiny," he repeated the law that he had once learned in the castle. Ogol’s voice was rough and hoarse. He could barely utter the words.

He swallowed and licked the rain from his lips. And then he straightened again inwardly. Ogol repeated aloud the words that he had once said, many years ago in the castle.

Ogol had been ready to undergo the trial that ended the training of the magicians. But then he had left the castle one night and without a word. He had taken a decision. He would not let the brethren judge on him. He would never bow to these men. He would not undergo the trial.

Ogol swallowed and then he repeated the ancient and holy words.

"No man can avoid his destiny. This law is written in the book of time. The Castle of Saelethiel lies high up in the Western Mountains. It was founded in the mists of time. The castle guards secrets that are far beyond a man’s understanding. The guardians of the castle watch out and enforce the law. The law is timeless and it cannot be shaken. When time has come, man must face the truth. He is summoned to look into the abyss of his soul. Man must undergo a trial. No man can avoid his destiny, however hard he tries. This law is valid for all times. This law cannot be shaken."

Ogol’s voice broke and tears filled his eyes.

"This law cannot be shaken," he repeated in a low voice.

He straightened and inwardly turned to the Castle of Saelethiel. He bowed deeply to the brethren who stood in front of him and looked at him solemnly.

"No man can avoid his destiny. This law is valid for all times," he said to the brethren.

"This law cannot be shaken," the brethren replied in one voice.

Their grave eyes rested on him as Ogol turned away and walked upright to his final goal.

The brethren’s words echoed in Ogol’s mind as he stepped through the ultimate door. His mind drifted on. Ogol’s limps went totally numb. The sound of the rain finally stopped. Ogol’s mind levitated and rose high up into the air. Ogol blinked at the sight of the sun. Joy filled his heart. A crow and a dove crossed the blue sky. Ogol rejoiced. He let out a cheerful cry. And then, his heart filled with joy, Ogol followed the birds to the castle.

~~**~~

Magath was lying on the ground. He felt hollow and empty. All thoughts and emotions had finally left him. He moved his hands and seized Gwyn’s amulet. His cold and stiff fingers opened it. It was too dark to see what it contained. It was too late anyway. Magath pressed the amulet against his heart. It would help him now to make his final step. Magath felt ready and inwardly straightened. And then he walked to the ultimate door.

"No man can avoid his destiny," Magath said in a low and hoarse voice.

The door in front of him opened wide and Magath stepped through the door.

His body went numb. The darkness lasted no longer. Magath felt airy and light. He rose high up in the air. The sudden light almost blinded him. Feeling amazed, however, he looked into the light. A dove and a crow crossed the blue sky. Magath rejoiced at the sight and he followed the birds a short way to the castle. But then he turned away, his heart singing with joy, and he flew east in order to cast one last glance on the village of Tanmil.

~~**~~

"No man can avoid his destiny," Leandor said. His voice was solemn and grave.

"This law is valid for all times. This law cannot be shaken," the brethren replied in one voice.

The brethren stood motionless.

Silence hung over the Castle of Saelethiel.

"The law is satisfied," Leandor said.

The brethren lowered their hands and dissolved their circle. The magical energy field dissolved and the material world returned to their original shape.

~~**~~

 

2012 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..