Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

GA Writing Prompts - 42. # 224 Stabbed

span>Create your own mystery story. The only thing that must be included is the clue, which is a blood red ruby.

Stabbed

 

"Your accusation's entirely out of place," Alexander Carmichael said sharply. "You suspect me of having murdered Amanda, don't you? You're wrong, detectives."

He straightened and then continued, forcing himself to keep his voice calm.

"Again, detectives. I have not seen my half-sister and I have not heard from her in twenty years. Apart from the letter she sent after our father's death. That was nine years ago. She accepted the inheritance, a monthly allowance in money, 5.000 pounds sterling until her death. Don't think I killed her for saving that money. My father left me the rest of his fortune, 26 million pounds sterling. You'll find out about it anyway. I can do without Amanda's money and always could. Your accusation's downright ridiculous."

Alexander Carmichael took a breath, turned around and moved to the window. The two detectives watched him until he finally turned back to them and made a gesture with his hand.

"Do what you need to do. Investigate. Check my accounts, my correspondence, my house, whatever you want. I won't hinder you. I can't stop you anyway," he said.

"Is this all that bothers you, Mr. Carmichael? Don't you feel upset? Your half-sister was murdered," Ryan Jones, one of the detectives, said.

Carmichael measured him and then shrugged.

"I saw Amanda only once, twenty years ago. She was fourteen. I was nine. She had come with her mother, my father's first wife, to our grandmother's funeral. My father and his first wife divorced after only one year. Amanda had just been born. My father married again two years later. My mother died one year ago," he said.

He started pacing the room, an elaborately furnished parlour, and finally stopped at a desk and pointed at a photograph. The detectives stepped closer.

"My father and my mother," he said. "They loved each other dearly. My father didn't talk a lot about Sheela, his first wife, and Amanda, their daughter. He once said that the marriage had been a mistake. Sheela was an outgoing and extroverted woman, while he was calm and reserved. He was a rational, suppressing his emotions. My father acknowledged his daughter, but felt no connection to her." He looked up. "My father couldn't cope well with children. He couldn't cope well with me either," he said. His shoulders slumped.

"Aren't you interested in the details of the murder?" Mark Bentley, the other detective, asked.

Carmichael straightened. "What details?" he hissed. "She was murdered, stabbed. You have told me."

Ryan Jones and Mark Bentley exchanged a look.

"Yes, she was stabbed," Mark said. "A man walking his dog found her body on a clearing in the wood early in the morning. Her body was laid down on the ground. She was lying on the back, her hands folded on her belly. Her face looked peaceful."

Alexander Carmichael stared at Mark.

"She was dressed in a long white silken dress," Ryan said. "A veil covered her braided black hair."

"She looked like a bride," Mark said. "That's what the man said who found her. They have taken photos."

Carmichael looked between the detectives. "What are you trying to tell me?" he asked.

"The murder planned the deed carefully," Mark said.

"And no sign of a struggle or fight," Ryan added.

Carmichael made a step back. "You mean she sacrificed herself?"

Ryan and Mark exchanged a glance.

"Sacrificed?" Mark asked.

Alexander Carmichael compressed his lips and his face turned red. He shot Mark an enraged look.

"I've just said what you have thought already. What do you want?" he hissed.

"Information," Mark said calmly.

"There's one more thing," Ryan said.

Carmichael turned his eyes to him.

"A red ruby was placed on her forehead," Ryan said.

"A bloody red ruby," Mark said, making a step forward.

Carmichael's eyelids flickered, but then he straightened and narrowed his eyes.

"I have no idea what are alluding to, detectives," he said. "But like I said, investigate. Check my accounts, my correspondence, my house, whatever you want. I will not hinder you. You will not find anything." He looked at his watch. "Any more questions, detectives? I have matters to attend to." He lifted his chin and gave them a questioning look.

Ryan and Mark left the mansion a couple of minutes later. Alexander Carmichael took his cell phone and typed a number.

***

Ryan Jones entered the room. The investigation team had already assembled. Ryan summarized the findings.

"A red ruby," Catherine Garner said. "A symbol of passion and love. And a symbol of power. The gem of the kings."

"Also a symbol of immortality in my culture," Ish Putney said. "My grandparents came from India," he explained at their questioning looks.

They looked at the enlarged photos that were attached to a board.

"The dress she's wearing..." Catherine started.

"Looks like a wedding sari," Ish finished her thoughts.

"The gem," Catherine said, turning to Ish.

"A bindi," he said. "A mark of the married woman. Married Hindu women wear a red dot or a red gem on their forehead."

"God," Catherine said. "She was murdered on her wedding day."

"Sacrificed," Mark Bentley said. "Alexander Carmichael used the word. He knows more than he told us."

"The dot or gem on the forehead also signifies the individual's spiritual eye," Ish said. " Through the third eye, Hindus believe to see all that which cannot be seen through the two physical eyes. I wonder what she saw and we do not see," he said thoughtfully.

"And what Carmichael is trying to shield from our eyes," Ryan added.

"And the murder is trying to reveal and make public," Mark said. "Her body was found forty kilometers from Carmichael's mansion. He works in London. Amanda lived in London. Don't tell me he has not seen her in twenty years."

"Love, passion, power," Catherine said. "Symbols of the gem. One symbol will lead us to Carmichael."

"Don't forget immortality," Ish said.

All eyes turned to him.

"Amanda Carmichael is dead," Ryan said curtly. "Stabbed."

***

 

 

 

 

Dolores Esteban
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This one you could easily carry on with, the symbolism, mystical spirituality...

The crime itself screams for resolution.

Link to comment

Dolores, this is so interesting. You have given the reader such an interesting case. This would.make a great read if you ever decide to expand it.

Link to comment
On 04/14/2013 06:04 AM, Stephen said:
This one you could easily carry on with, the symbolism, mystical spirituality...

The crime itself screams for resolution.

Thanks for reading and leaving your thoughts. Yes, it's an introduction to a longer story and I'm planning to continue it, maybe in November, when doing NaNoWriMo. I'm glad you liked it.
Link to comment
On 04/14/2013 09:17 AM, Mann Ramblings said:
Love it! More! :D
Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm glad you liked it. I'm in fact planning to continue the story.
Link to comment
On 04/14/2013 10:23 AM, comicfan said:
Dolores, this is so interesting. You have given the reader such an interesting case. This would.make a great read if you ever decide to expand it.
Thanks, comicfan. I'm happy you liked the piece. I'm planning to continue it during NaNoWriMo in November this year.
Link to comment

This is really good! There are so many directions this story can go; I'm glad you decided to expand this idea.

Link to comment
On 04/15/2013 04:24 PM, aditus said:
This is really good! There are so many directions this story can go; I'm glad you decided to expand this idea.
Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm happy you liked the Piece. Thanks.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..