Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

GA Writing Prompts - 19. # 89 I Have the Blues

# 89
The winter time arrived as it always did, so for the next two years the world would be covered in feet of snow while we lived below ground.

I had experienced this several times in my life. But that year I really got the blues. I spent the last day on the surface of the planet like many others did as well. The snow started falling on the exact day they had announced it. Summer had drawn to an end. The long and draining winter time had arrived.

Summer and winter last a long time on my planet. Each period is about two years on Earth. I know this because I worked on Earth for a few years before I returned to my home planet some time ago.

Like I said, I spent the last day of summer on the surface of the planet. Our infrastructure is adapted to the climatic characteristics of it. We have perfected our buildings over the centuries. The houses are on the surface during the summer period. Winter always comes on schedule. The buildings are moved underground on the last day of summer. They are constructed like the hydraulic elevators on Earth. The whole process is completed within a few hours. And then we live below the ground for an extended period of time.

I was accustomed to it. I had experienced it several times in my life. But that year I really had the blues. I had it badly. I was among the last persons who retreated underground. There is an extra building in every major city for those who cannot let go. It is in fact a major event that many even look forward to.

We gather in a large glass building in the morning. The roof is open in the beginning. We watch the sun rise for the last time. It is an almost religious event. The light of the sun is faint and the day is already cold. We are dressed in thick clothes and we are wrapped in blankets. We celebrate. We feast. It is in fact party time. At noon, however, the general mood shifts slowly towards a more depressed one. However, the word is not entirely accurate. The atmosphere is sad, but it is also solemn with an undertone of finality. We know that we are drawing to a close.

Clouds gather in the afternoon until the sky is darkened. This usually happens very quickly. The sun is obscured by clouds within an hour or two. The clouds are low and the temperature drops rapidly. This is when the roof of the glass building is shut. This is when the final countdown begins.

People stop their chatter. We gaze at the sky. We’re mesmerised. And then, from one minute to the other, the snow starts falling. We watch it until nightfall. At dusk, the large glass building is moved slowly underground. When all buildings are underground, the wide openings are closed for another long period of time.

I was among the last figures that stood lost and lonely in glass house underground. We opened a bottle of champagne and drank a toast to the sun and to the return of the summer. And then, wrapped in our blankets and with our hearts sunk, we left the glass building. It was hard to let go a bright period of time. Reluctantly, we moved on to pastures new. Such is life!

Today is the day after. And I do have the blues.

Dolores Esteban
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/02/2011 12:34 PM, comicfan said:
That was really good and sort of sad, Dolores. Glad I got to read it.
Hi. Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm happy you liked the drabble.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..