Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

GA Writing Prompts - 20. # 87 Jonathan T. Baxter

# 87
It finally arrived, the day I had been dreading. I don't think anyone can really prepare for it but now it is here. Time to face the facts and just get deal with it all.

Jonathan T. Baxter

 

Last Page of Jonathan T. Baxter’s diary:

You don’t believe in fortune-telling, do you? Back then I did not. I laughed at the fortune teller’s words. My friends had told me of her and I had just seen her for fun. I wanted to see her fancy costume. This was what mainly interested me in her. Her look was grave and intense when she talked to me. I nodded seriously, but I was barely able to stifle a laugh. I shook off the slight feeling of uneasiness that took hold of me at her intense gaze and I forgot about her words the minute I left her. Or so I had thought.

The slight feeling of uneasiness came back, however, on every New Years Eve. The fortune teller had said that December 31, 2010 would inevitably change my life. Fifteen years went by and I had never been able to entirely shake off the prophecy. My fear had been subconscious for many years. But in the final years I had become increasingly nervous. And then, it finally arrived, the day I had been dreading. I don't think anyone can really prepare for it but now it is here. It is New Year’s Eve, 2010.

I am standing by the window and I’m looking out on a fog-shrouded place. Places look ugly in winter when they are not covered with snow. The room is heated and it is warm inside. And yet I shiver and I feel cold. She gave me no exact time of the day. So what else can I do but wait for his arrival?

She told me he would come to see me on New Year’s Eve, 2010. I could tell myself that her words were just meant as a joke. I could tell myself she had told it all for fun. I have tried to push aside my fears and my worries. But, in all honesty, my attempt had not worked out. What if she had told me the absolute truth? You can’t shake off the truth, can you? You must be prepared to deal with it, just in case you’re confronted with it. I had fifteen years to prepare myself for that moment of truth.

She told me he would come on New Year’s Eve and confront me with the naked truth. She did not mention his name, but I instantly knew who she was talking about. Brian. He had sworn to come back. Her intense and serious gaze had revealed that she knew the whole truth. But it was not hers to judge or pass sentence on me. She did me a favor after all. She announced his arrival.

I am standing by the window and I am waiting for him. He swore to come back. I nodded seriously, but I was barely able to stifle a laugh. My friends had told me of him and I had met up with him just for fun. I wanted to see his fancy costume. That was what mainly interested me in him. His look was grave and intense when he swore to come back. I could barely understand his stifled words. We had done it only for fun. Why was he so serious about it? I shook off the feeling of uneasiness that took hold of me at his intense gaze. Why did he look at me like this? His look made me angry. We were down by the river and he really pissed me off. And that’s why I drowned him. I lost my temper, yes. I left and I forgot about him the minute I left. Or so I had thought.

I remember his gaze that was intense and grave. She told me he would come to see me on New Year’s Eve, 2010. He had sworn to come back, after all. Night has fallen. He has not yet come. Has he survived or will I meet up with a ghost? The room is heated and it is warm inside. And yet I shiver and I feel cold. She gave me no exact time of the day. So what else can I do but wait for his arrival? She told me that December 31, 2010 will inevitably change my life. I know she is right. One more hour until midnight. It is time to face the facts and deal with it all. I made up my mind. It was not hers to judge or pass sentence on me. I will do so, however.

I’m putting down the pen and I’m getting my gun. This is the End.

Happy New Year!

Dolores Esteban
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That was scary Dolores. He drown the guy and now either the spirit or the guy himself is do to show up. Not exactly a bright sort of spot. Guess with that being the last journal entry it wasn't a nice meeting.

Link to comment
On 12/04/2011 05:51 AM, comicfan said:
That was scary Dolores. He drown the guy and now either the spirit or the guy himself is do to show up. Not exactly a bright sort of spot. Guess with that being the last journal entry it wasn't a nice meeting.
Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..