Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

GA Writing Prompts - 27. # 94 Red Rose

span># 94
List of words to be used in a short story: A blue shirt, a red rose, an older woman, a kitten, a flat tire, a card.

Red Rose

 

 

Samantha turned her head and looked at me.

"I have never confessed this to you. I cherish your company. I always feel happy when you are around," she said with a smile.

A blush graced her face and she looked away briefly before turning her eyes back to me. I took her hand gently. A moment or two passed before we moved on. We walked arm in arm amidst the flowers. We moved down the path in the park, nodding politely at the people we passed. A girl walked hand in hand with her boyfriend. An older woman carried a kitten. Her husband complained about a flat tire. The woman gave him a reassuring smile.

Samantha turned her head to me.

"Look at them all. They walk hand in hand and smile at each other. Sometimes I wonder what they really feel for each other," she said. "Do they really feel love for each other? Or are they just pretending they do so? What is love anyway?"

I smiled at her. I smoothed down my blue shirt.

"A complicated topic," I said. "Philosophers have mused on it for ages."

Samantha looked at me. She gave me another smile.

"I’d rather say that love is what lovers talk about," she said.

"Certainly," I said with a nod. "But have you ever asked yourself if the love that you feel is genuine and true?"

Samantha raised an eyebrow and a faint frown crossed her face. I raised my hand.

"Let me explain," I said.

I picked a red rose and handed it to her.

"Look at this rose, Samantha. What can we tell each other of it? When you look at this rose, you remember other roses you have seen. Real roses and images of roses. A rose on a valentine card, for instance. The rose you hold in your hand is attached to the memories of other roses, to the memories of things that happened in your life, to people you met, to thoughts you had and to feelings you sensed. This rose is your very particular rose, Samantha. And to me, this rose is a very particular rose as well. So, when we talk about the rose in your hand, do we really talk about the same flower?"

Samantha nodded slowly.

"I doubt we would fully understand each other’s rose," she said with a smile. "I see what you’re trying to say. Can we truly understand each other’s love?"

I nodded at her.

"People have tried for ages and they will try forever. Will they ever understand the secret of love?" I asked. "Do you feel the tragedy of love, Samantha? Eternal longing and eternal melancholy. They are forever entwined."

I sighed. Samantha laughed softly.

"It seems you admire the French attitude towards love," she said. "Isn’t it called la maladie d’amour?"

I looked at her. Samantha gave me a charming smile.

"The sweet pain of love. Isn’t this the essence of life?" she asked with a twinkle in her eyes.

She handed the rose back to me. I smiled and offered my arm to her. I suddenly realized how much I cared for her. I glanced at Samantha. She smiled back at me. And then we moved on. We walked arm in arm amidst the flowers.

 

span># 94
List of words to be used in a short story: A blue shirt, a red rose, an older woman, a kitten, a flat tire, a card.
Dolores Esteban
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Such a different look at the idea of love. Interesting use of the words as well. Seems each person takes these in their own direction. Nicely done Dolores, as usual. :)

Link to comment
On 02/26/2012 01:43 AM, comicfan said:
Such a different look at the idea of love. Interesting use of the words as well. Seems each person takes these in their own direction. Nicely done Dolores, as usual. :)
Thank you! :) Writing to the prompts is fun.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..