Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

GA Writing Prompts - 33. # 122 Cold Case

span># 122
Use the following words in story: Red hand print, shattered vase, new car, fifteen year old boy, and a spider.

Cold Case

 

 

 

"A case of burglary," Steve Mills said.

He placed a folder on Adam’s desk. Adam looked up with surprise. It was his first day in the office. He had just joined the cold case team.

"A case of burglary?" he asked back in confusion.

Steve gave a nod. He opened the folder and took a bunch of photos out of it.

"Someone broke into the house of Derek Peterson, a wealthy banker. Peterson was on a vacation. He was in some exclusive club in Spain. His house was empty. The alarm system went off at 3am. An automatic call alarmed the local police station. They sent a car to Peterson’s house, but the burglar had already run. He had stolen several vases. He broke another," Steve said, placing a photo on the desk.

Adam looked at the photo that showed a shattered vase.

"He left no traces, unfortunately. We had all investigated carefully," Steve carried on.

"A professional," Adam replied.

"Not so much," Steve said. "He did not deactivate the alarm system. He risked the alarm system going off, probably because he knew exactly where to find what he wanted."

"The vases," Adam said. "Are they expensive?"

"According to Derek Peterson, five antique Aztec vases are missing, each worth about 100.000 English pounds," Steve said.

"The burglar most likely is someone who knew the house well. He most likely knows Derek Peterson. Let me guess. You checked everybody. Each suspect has a watertight alibi," Adam said.

"Exactly," Steve said with a nod. "No traces, no suspects, nothing."

"I suspect his insurance paid in the end," Adam said. "Why is this case a cold case then?"

"Yes, his insurance paid," Steve simply said.

Adam gave him a questioning look.

Steve handed him another photo. It showed the face of a very young man.

"Timothy Baker, a fifteen year old boy, called the police and told them that he had seen the burglar get out of his car at about 3am. Baker’s descriptions were vague, however. He said the man was neither small nor tall, neither slim nor thick. The car was not an old car and not a new car," Steve said.

Adam’s look was puzzled.

"I thought you had no traces. But you even have a witness," he said slowly.

Steve sat down in a chair. He looked at Adam for a second.

"It’s just that Timothy Baker was thirty miles away when the man broke into Derek Peterson’s house. Timothy Baker had a vision. He’s sort of famous for it," Steve said.

Adam looked at Steve for a second or two in disbelief. He leaned back in his chair. He watched a small spider crawling down the window pane. Finally, he turned his eyes back to Steve. They looked at each other. Adam opened his mouth, but Steve raised his hand and stopped him.

 

"He’s sort of famous for it. 90% of his visions prove to be correct. Of course, his statement was not considered a reliable fact. The boy was laughed at. They did not investigate on Timothy Baker’s statement," Steve explained.

He leaned forward and fixed his eyes on Adam.

"The case of burglary was officially closed. However, I have never closed it. I know there is more to it," he said with an intent look.

Adam shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

"Why?" he asked. "Even if the boy’s vision was true, it would not help us a lot. A man, neither small nor tall, neither slim nor thick, in a car, neither old nor new. I beg you, Steve, you cannot make anything of it."

Steve’s look was serious.

"So far, I was not able to make anything of it. But I will," he said in a determined voice. "I talked with Timothy Baker again a couple of weeks later. He said that the burglar had not only stolen the vases, he had also stolen an obsidian knife that Derek Peterson did not miss because he did not know it existed. The knife had belonged to his father who had hidden it in the library. The burglar must have known of the knife and he must have known of its hiding place."

Adam measured Steve.

"I fear I don’t get it," he said. "I can’t see where you’re aiming at."

Steve leaned back and smiled at Adam.

"Well, a week ago, a man was murdered in Rome. The murderer cut out his heart and threw his body down the Spanish Steps. He left a red hand print on the man’s abdomen. The man’s name is Jeremiah Irons. He was a dealer in Aztec artifacts. They performed an autopsy and concluded that his heart was cut out with an obsidian knife," Steve said.

He leaned forward. Adam shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

"I investigated a bit," Steve continued. "Derek Peterson had bought the Aztec vases from Jeremiah Irons eleven years ago. I have found a trace, finally."

He leaned back and measured Adam.

"I read your application papers and I investigated a bit on you as well," he said. "I was happy to learn that your father is a renowned archeologist and that his special field is the Aztec and Toltec culture."

Steve smiled triumphantly.

"Do you get it now, Adam?" he asked. "You’re my perfect partner in investigating the crime. I always knew that there was more to the case. I was right. I have booked two flights. We’re flying to Rome in two days."

Adam looked at Steve Mills calmly. He didn’t show his urge to instantly make a call. Adam folded his hands on his belly as if protecting his body or hiding something from Steve’s sight. It was an unnecessary gesture as a pristine white shirt covered Adam’s skin. Adam looked at Steve. He forced himself to focus on the man.

"In two days?" he asked calmly.

 

 

 

 

Dolores Esteban
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh Lord, Dolores, you have to continue this story. I mean you set it up so well and now I want to know all about this knife and whatever secret Adam might be hiding as well. Looks like you got a good tale to tell.

Link to comment
On 05/17/2012 11:12 PM, comicfan said:
Oh Lord, Dolores, you have to continue this story. I mean you set it up so well and now I want to know all about this knife and whatever secret Adam might be hiding as well. Looks like you got a good tale to tell.
Thank you so much! I'm planning to take part in CampNano this year. This story might be a good one to write in June and/or August. Provided the muse dows not leave me again, that is. Thanks for your encouraging words. :)
Link to comment

I have to agree Dolores; this sets up so beautifully for a full length story. So many questions to be answered, but I wanna know the secret of the vases.

Link to comment
On 05/18/2012 02:58 AM, Andy78 said:
I have to agree Dolores; this sets up so beautifully for a full length story. So many questions to be answered, but I wanna know the secret of the vases.
Thank you, Andy. I'm planning to continue the story. Hopefully, my muse won't disappoint me and you. Thanks for the review. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..