Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

GA Writing Prompts - 47. # 300 The Ring

span>Tag – The Ring. You were shopping in mall and came across a little jewelry store. As you were walking down the counter the merchant spotted you and motioned you over to show you something. When you got near he immediately pointed out a ring, saying it would be "perfect for you." The thing is when you seen it for some reason you really wanted it. What made the ring so "perfect?"

The Ring

 

The ring looked very old.

"The ring has a history," the merchant said.

He showed me the small symbols that were engraved in the ring.

"Perfect," I said. "I'm fascinated by ancient things. Do you know what the symbols mean?"

The man looked me deep in the eyes. I shied away from his intent look and eyed the ring more closely.

"Beginning and end are one," the man said.

I looked up.

"Isn't a ring a perfect symbol of it?" he asked.

"Sure," I replied. "Quite naturally. Is this what the symbols say?"

"Maybe," he said. "Every beginning holds its own magic." He smiled mysteriously, then took the ring from my hand and held it up. "Have you heard of Doggerland?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"Doggerland is the name given by archaeologists to a former landmass in the North Sea that connected the island of Great Britain to the mainland during the Ice Age until about 6,500 BC. It then was gradually flooded by the rising sea levels," he said.

I looked at him curiously. He gave me another strange smile.

"But surely you have heard of Stonehenge?" he asked.

"Certainly," I replied. "It is a prehistoric monument in England, north of Salisbury. It was built 5,000 years ago."

"The original site was built much earlier, before the sea levels rose," the man said.

"You mean the ring was made in Doggerland nearly 9,000 years ago?" I asked doubtingly.

He gave me the ring and I held it in front of my eyes. It looked indeed very old, but I couldn't imagine the ring was actually 9,000 years old.

"How would you know?" I asked, turning my eyes to the man.

His black eyes mustered me and he smiled again. "The land was lost as was the ring. The ancient kingdom faded into non-existence. There are no written records, yet the ancient realm is not entirely forgotten. The guardians have guarded the knowledge ever since."

I was intrigued. Should I believe him? The story sounded totally made up. I looked at him.

"But then why do you reveal this secret to me?" I asked.

"Because the time has finally come to unleash the ring's power once more," he said.

His smiled faded and he made a gesture with his hand to someone behind me. I turned around and saw two men ushering my friends out of the store. The men closed the door and locked it. I turned back to the merchant.

"What...?" I started, fear seizing me.

The man's look was grim. "The powers of the ring want a human sacrifice. A man must be killed to evoke the ancient magic. I've just decided that your blood will be shed on the altar. May I introduce myself. I'm Garwain, guardian and keeper of the ring and the ancient magic of fire."

He made a gesture with his hand. The two men seized me and before I could yell, a cloth was stuffed into my mouth and my hands were tied on my back. Garwain opened a door to a staircase. They dragged me down the stairs and locked me up in a basement room.

 

 

Dolores Esteban
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Dolores,

 

Well you captured my attention. I hope you decide to come back and expand this. Looks like it would be a hell of a story.

Link to comment
On 02/10/2014 02:51 AM, comicfan said:
Dolores,

 

Well you captured my attention. I hope you decide to come back and expand this. Looks like it would be a hell of a story.

Nice to hear it got your attention. Thank you!
Link to comment
On 02/15/2014 12:17 PM, Valkyrie said:
Great story! I hope you decide and expand on this, too.
Thank you, Valkyrie. I'm happy you like the story. I'm actually planning on expanding it.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..