Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

GA Writing Prompts - 57. # 405 Jump

span>First Line: "You honestly think I would wear something like that?"

Jump

 

‘You honestly think I would wear something like that?’ Brian said to himself, shaking his head. He looked at the boy with the smart phone in his hand. How old was he? Thirteen, fourteen? Two other boys joined the first. They all looked alike, dressed in sweaters and baggy jeans that revealed their underpants. The sight was a pain to his eyes.

Brian was in his forties and not for a million would he have wanted to change place with one of these boys. Brian had a moment of clarity. He had had his share in life and he had had his moments and he would doubtlessly have some more. He had gotten all that he could get from life. These boys had no idea of life or what their life was to be, but Brian admitted they could not be blamed for their ignorance. Ignorance was a blessing when you were young, it was a curse when you grew older. At some point in life, you had to look in the mirror and face your scarred and battled self. Once you had looked long enough, the battle of life faded and turned into boredom. Life had taught Brain a few lessons. The lessons were simple.

He took a breath and clear air was filling his lungs. Brian looked at the sky. Summer had ended. This was the course of life. He had experienced this truth often. The truth was simple: one thing followed the other, the grand scheme of things was the same always, only the details varied. Summer followed spring and autumn followed summer. Then, inevitably, winter would come. Winter, however, was not the end. It was just an intermezzo before spring came around again. Once you had experienced the cycle of life, had gone through it often enough, you knew it all inside out. Every single incident then was predictable and everything became boring.

Two boys left the place, the other approached Brian on his skateboard. Brian looked at him languidly.

"Got a dollar?" the boy asked, skidding his skateboard to a halt.

Brian shook his head. He looked at the skateboard and sensed a vibration, vague, yet strong enough to not be ignored.

"The heck with it," he said.

The boy looked at him questioningly.

"The heck with that boring cycle of life," Brian said, pointing at the skateboard. "Can I give it a try?"

The boy eyed him. "I doubt you can ride it," he said. "But you can give it a try, for a dollar, that is."

Brian searched his pockets and handed the boy a dollar bill. The boy stepped aside. Brian put one foot on the skateboard and pushed forward with the other. The boy watched him warily.

Rain started falling, but Brian didn't care. He focused on riding the skateboard. And then he did what he had always been too afraid to ever try in life. He was trying something new. He dared a leap and jumped and, against his expectation, he landed on his feet.

span>First Line: "You honestly think I would wear something like that?"
Dolores Esteban
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 03/30/2015 03:17 AM, Daddydavek said:
I hope I never become as jaded as the forty something in your story......
I remember I was fed up with my job when I wrote the first draft of the piece...Thanks for reading!
Link to comment
On 04/03/2015 01:16 PM, comicfan said:
life can wear you down. Glad he took a shot Dolores.
Thanks for reading and the feedback :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..