Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Play Favourites (King Edward and His Favourite Men) - 11. Chapter 11



Sir Mortimer talked to Hugh Despenser the following morning. He folded the letter that he had read to Despenser. He looked at Hugh Despenser and studied his face.

“And that is why we want you to demonstrate your affection to King Edward in an explicit way. Make a great stir. Cause an affront. We want the peers to question their king,” Sir Mortimer said, looking at Hugh Despenser seriously.

Hugh did not reply at once. He gazed at Sir Mortimer. Hugh’s face had turned pale. The man’s self-confidence was utterly shaken.

Sir Mortimer watched Hugh’s face with delight. Hugh Despenser nodded.

“I must do what you want me to do,” he said in a suppressed voice. “I have no choice, have I?”

Sir Mortimer gave Hugh Despenser a contented nod. He smiled almost playfully.

“Roger d’Amory was too kind a man. Or maybe he wasn’t just clever enough. He could have gained so much more than he has gained now,” Sir Mortimer said.

He smiled at Hugh Despenser mildly. Hugh just looked at Sir Mortimer.

“So you tried to win over d’Amory also?” he asked finally.

Sir Mortimer shook his head.

“No, I did not. Too great a risk. The man is not cold-blooded enough to play that kind of game. You, however, are a self-confident man who takes nothing for granted. You want a piece of the pie,” Sir Mortimer said, smiling again.

“What if I reject your offer, Sir Mortimer?” Hugh asked.

Sir Mortimer shrugged and waved his hand.

“I then would read the letter to the peers and noblemen,” he said coldly. “I am fairly sure the men would hear the news with interest. And so would the king. You would lose everything.”

Hugh swallowed. He kept gazing at Sir Mortimer. The man was a devil. That was for sure. Hugh Despenser finally nodded.

“I see. I do understand perfectly. I would lose my right as the rightful heir,” he said.

“You would lose your birthright, your titles and ranks,” Sir Mortimer said.

He smiled at Hugh Despenser. Hugh still gazed at Sir Mortimer.

“I have no choice then. I will do what you want. So be it, then,” Hugh said in a stifled voice.

Sir Mortimer smiled mildly, and then he turned away and left the king’s parlour where he had spoken to the royal chamberlain.

Hugh Despenser stood in the centre of the room. His face was pale and his shoulders were slumped. The proud man felt like a beaten dog and he felt like a lion in a cage. He saw no way out.

But Hugh was not a man to act like a minion. He flew into a rage. He clenched his hands and he gnashed his teeth. Sir Mortimer was a devil. That was for sure. But Hugh had gained the king’s heart. He was the king’s favourite man. Hugh would not jeopardise his position.

Hugh took a deep breath and paced the room. He would not give in to Sir Mortimer. He had to devise a plan. He had to make up one soon. But for the time being, Hugh decided, he would step carefully and pretend he worked according to Sir Mortimer’s plans.

~~**~~


“He will do what we want,” Sir Mortimer said to the queen.

He informed her on his meeting with Hugh Despenser. The queen curled her lips.

“Then I will go down for lunch today,” Isabella said. “I want to look Hugh Despenser straight in the eyes. My presence will strengthen his resolve. He will know then that I watch his steps closely. Thus he will not betray my plans.”

Sir Mortimer nodded in agreement. The queen smiled mischievously.

~~**~~


Isabella joined the king and the peers for lunch. The queen looked around gracefully. She cast a smile at Hugh Despenser who did not respond and just gazed at her. Isabella curled her lips and then smiled again at the man. Hugh Despenser turned his head away. Isabella gracefully took her spoon. She looked from one to the other. The peers and noblemen nodded at the queen.

Dinner had almost come to an end when Edward leaned in to his new favourite. He talked to him in a low voice. Hugh Despenser replied and smiled at the king. The king smiled back at him. The queen and the peers watched them attentively. Isabella leaned forward a little. She watched the scene curiously.

Then Hugh raised his hand unexpectedly and for a moment placed it on Edward’s. The king’s face showed surprise, but he did not react. Isabella held her breath. The queen felt excited. She glanced at the peers and noblemen. The men had stopped talking. Isabella rejoiced.

Then Hugh drew back his hand and continued to eat as if nothing had happened. So did King Edward as well. Isabella glanced at the peers. Some of them still gazed at the king. A few others cast each other meaningful looks.

Isabella smiled gracefully and finished her meal. She then excused herself and retired. The peers looked after her and gave each other meaningful looks again. The queen had noticed the affront. But the queen had kept composure. A few of the peers nodded admiringly.

Roger d’Amory’s heart broke again at the sight. He finished his meal by sheer force of will. He felt even more humiliated when he saw Sir Duffy’s look. The man cast him a pitiful look for an instant. Roger retired to his room early.

~~**~~


A knock at the door jolted Roger out of his thoughts. Roger winced. He hesitated for a moment, but then he opened the door. Hugh Audley stood in the doorway. The two men gazed at each other.

“May I come in?” Hugh Audley asked.

Roger nodded and pointed into the room. Hugh Audley entered and stopped in the centre of the chamber. He turned back to Roger who still stood by the door. The two men gazed at each other. Roger finally closed the door and crossed the room slowly. He gave Hugh Audley a questioning look.

“I saw you at dinner tonight,” Hugh Audley said. “You did not look good. I suspect you are not feeling well. I can only guess. Are you feeling the way I felt when King Edward turned away from me and turned to you instead?” Hugh Audley asked.

Roger gazed at the man. He swallowed.

Hugh Audley had been the king’s favourite. Roger had learned of it when Edward and he had already been intimate friends. Edward had assigned a new position to Audley. Like Roger had done, Audley had left court for a while. He had returned at the end of 1314. Hugh Audley had avoided crossing Roger’s ways. And Roger had only seen him at table. Audley had ignored Roger. And Roger, enamoured of Edward, had not given a thought to the previous favourite of the king.

Roger nodded slowly.

“I was a naive man when I came to court,” Roger said.

Hugh Audley studied him.

“May I take a seat?” Audley asked finally.

“Of course,” Roger said and hurried to show the man to a chair.

Audley took a seat. Roger sat down as well.

“We have never exchanged a word in almost three years,” Roger said. “Why did you come to see me tonight?”

Audley nodded.

“You witnessed the affront, didn’t you?” he asked. “Neither I nor you would have dared to place his hand on the king’s hand in public.”

Roger nodded. He folded his hands. He looked at Hugh Audley gravely.

“Hugh Despenser is an entirely different man. Fiery, passionate, self-confident, bold,” he said.

Audley nodded.

“Bold, yes,” Audley said. “But he is not an idiot. He is a man who plans his steps carefully. He must know that this was too bold a step.”

Roger shrugged.

“Perhaps he just wanted to demonstrate that I have definitely lost the battle,” Roger said.

Hugh Audley gave a laugh.

“Do not overestimate your importance, d’Amory. Hugh Despenser does not give you the faintest thought. Even Edward was surprised at his action,” Audley said.

Roger shrugged again.

“The peers were content. Although they did not approve of me, they did not openly object. Edward gave away power and stayed on the sideline. This is why they approved of the situation. The power was theirs,” he said.

Hugh Audley nodded.

“Exactly,” he said. “But Hugh Despenser, Edward’s new favourite for just a few days, right in the beginning pushed himself to the fore. He pushed himself to the fore and openly demonstrated his affection and thus, of course, demonstrated the king’s malady. Hugh Despenser reminded the peers of what they had almost forgotten. Edward’s cousin Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, will rejoice. He can stir another upheaval.”

The men exchanged a look.

“Lancaster was one of the men who made sure Piers Gaveston was executed,” Roger said in a sober voice.

Hugh Audley nodded.

“Why should Despenser come to the fore?” Roger asked. “He would risk being executed also sooner or later.”

Audley looked at Roger pensively.

“I cannot say by now, d’Amory. But one thing I can say for sure: Hugh Despenser does not only risk his life. He also endangers the king. Edward is weak. His position is weaker than it ever was. Edward has many enemies. They just wait for an occasion to bring him down,” Audley said.

Roger nodded.

“Edward knows. He told me again and again,” he said.

Hugh Audley looked at Roger thoughtfully.

“Edward looked surprised himself when Despenser placed his hand on his. I am certain he has not encouraged the man. Despenser acted selfishly for some reason,” Audley said.

“Sir Mortimer,” Roger simply said like stating a fact.

They looked at each other. Audley nodded.

“Sir Mortimer and the queen are behind that affront,” he replied.

“Then they must have suborned him to do so. They must have something on him,” Roger said.

Both of them leaned back in their chairs. Roger folded his hands. Audley was thinking.

“It is not my business. Nor is it yours. Why have you come to see me then?” Roger asked finally.

Hugh Audley shrugged and gave a small smile. He looked at Roger embarrassedly.

“Despenser’s action made me angry. Perhaps I do just envy the man,” he said.

Roger measured Hugh Audley.

“I winced at the sight also. My heart broke again. And, yes, I too felt the anger. So why not just leave the king to his fate?” Roger asked.

Audley leaned forward.

“Because you and I, we both loved the man,” Hugh Audley said in a low voice.

They exchanged another look. Roger nodded.

“So what can we do to save Edward from his doom and destruction? Be aware, Audley, neither you nor I will gain anything from it,” Roger said.

Hugh Audley nodded.

“I just can’t sit and watch how Sir Mortimer wins so easily,” he replied.

“Neither you nor I have influence on Edward anymore,” Roger said.

“We must find a way to gain it back,” Audley said. “I will be thinking about it. Think also, Roger. I will come to see you again very soon.”

Hugh Audley rose to his feet. Roger showed him out. He went back to his chair, sat down and started to ponder.

~~**~~


“We are making progress. A few more bold steps and the peers will soon react,” Isabella said cheerfully.

She leaned back in her chair and smiled at Sir Mortimer.

“Yes, my lady,” Sir Mortimer agreed. “Sir Duffy gave you a pitiful look.”

Isabella curled her lips.

“I do not need Sir Duffy’s pity. I need the peers’ disapproval. I need Sir Lancaster to show up,” Isabella said. Her voice was determined.

Sir Mortimer nodded.

“Patience, my lady. We are making progress. I am confident everything now will work out just fine,” he said.

Isabella nodded pensively. Then she gave Sir Mortimer a smile.

~~**~~


Edward and Hugh were in the king’s parlour. They looked out of the window.

“This was bold, my dear chamberlain,” Edward said. “Be more careful next time. You raised the peers’ attention. They watched us curiously.”

Hugh gave a laugh. He placed his hand on Edward’s shoulder. Edward turned his head and smiled at the man.

“Those bigoted men will remain silent. Why would they want to give away their power?” Hugh asked.

“Those men are wayward and therefore dangerous,” Edward said in a sober voice.

Hugh gave another cheerful laugh.

“You enjoyed it, didn’t you?” he asked in an attempt to distract the king from his disturbing thoughts.

Hugh was well aware that his move had been bold. But he had felt compelled to take the step. The queen had watched him. Now the queen would relax. Hugh had played for time. Hugh had tried to find a way out of his predicament. But so far he had failed to find one.

Hugh leaned in to the king. His lips touched Edward’s cheek lightly. Edward turned his head and he caught Hugh’s lips. They embraced. Hugh pulled Edward closer. Edward gave in. He wrapped his arms around Hugh Despenser.

~~**~~


Sir Duffy and a few peers had assembled in the grand hall. Sir Duffy sighed. He wiped his forehead.

“I will talk to the king in private tomorrow. He must not demonstrate his affection in public. I will make that clear to him,” he said.

The other men nodded slowly. Sir Duffy wiped his forehead again. He shifted in his chair uncomfortably.

“I do not approve of his malady, sirs. By no means do I approve of it. But, after all, Edward is King of England. He is weak. An upheaval would weaken his position even more,” one of the men said.

Sir Duffy nodded seriously.

“Like I said, I will talk to the king tomorrow. His enemies are many, his friends are only few. Edward is not a stupid man. He is just so...”

Sir Duffy fell silent. The men exchanged meaningful looks.

“Possessed,” one of the men said.

“Obsessed,” another tossed in.

“Addicted,” another man said.

Sir Duffy sighed resignedly.

“Perhaps,” he said. “But, after all, he is just a man.”

They fell silent. Sir Duffy straightened.

“And, moreover, he is King of England. And he finally should act like a king,” one man said.

The peers nodded in agreement. They rose to their feet and left the hall.

~~**~~


Hugh Despenser acted more carefully the following days.

At dinner, he now and then met Sir Mortimer’s eyes. Sir Mortimer then cast him a furtive smile. Hugh winced inwardly. He had come to hate Sir Mortimer in the briefest of time. If he were able to, he would instantly kill the man. Sir Mortimer was a devil who devised devilish plans. Hugh was sure that a man’s ruin filled Sir Mortimer’s heart with great satisfaction and joy.

Sir Duffy talked to Edward. He was the king’s long-time confidant and therefore he dared to speak frankly. The king did not take offence. Sir Duffy felt relieved when he found that Edward was insightful and compliant. He immediately reported his conversation to the king’s confidants. The peers relaxed and calmed down.

Sir Mortimer and the queen, however, were waiting patiently for Hugh Despenser’s next move.

Roger d’Amory and Hugh Audley also watched the king and his new favourite. They met again a few days later. Audley came to Roger’s room in the evening.

~~**~~


“Despenser is acting more carefully,” Roger said. “Edward may have asked him to do so.”

Hugh Audley nodded.

“Yes. Edward is not a stupid man,” he said.

Roger sighed. Hugh Audley smiled at him. Roger smiled back briefly.

“Edward saw through Sir Mortimer’s plans at once. He made plans himself on how to silence and weaken Sir Mortimer and the queen. He even made plans on how to get rid of Sir Mortimer. His plans were smart and clever. No, I agree with you, Audley, Edward is not a stupid man. He is just...”

Roger fell silent. Audley rubbed his chin.

“He has a sedate temper,” Audley suggested.

Roger shrugged.

“I sometimes thought he was like in a slumber. Now and then he woke up, and then he was an entirely different man,” he said.

Audley nodded.

“He then was the true Edward as a man and a king,” Audley said seriously.

Roger gave him a look.

“So you experienced it also?” he asked.

Hugh Audley nodded.

“I experienced it often, yes,” he said.

Hugh Audley straightened.

“His malady torments him. He thinks he would be a better king without it. But he cannot get rid of his malady. But he could very well get rid of the throne...,” Audley mused.

“You think he works on his own self-destruction?” Roger asked, leaning forward.

They exchanged a look. Hugh Audley nodded.

“Yes, in a sense. He thinks he would be a happier man without the throne. But he also knows that he cannot resign. He does not know what to do. The loss of the throne would also mean the loss of his life,” Audley said in a serious voice.

Roger nodded slowly.

“You are right, Audley, I think. This is why he prefers to push aside these thoughts. And he fears to be suddenly roused from his slumber,” he said.

Roger leaned back.

“So why should we rouse him from his slumber then?” he asked.

“Because he will risk the throne and his life, if Despenser makes a few more and even bolder steps,” Audley replied gravely.

Roger rubbed his chin. Audley watched him.

“Can’t we stop Despenser instead?” Roger asked.

Audley gave him a questioning look.

“Let’s think. Provided the queen and Sir Mortimer are behind the affront, then they must have something on him. Despenser is a proud and self-confident man. I cannot imagine he copes well with being Sir Mortimer’s submissive servant,” Roger said.

Audley nodded slowly. He was thinking.

“Sir Mortimer might have promised him titles and ranks,” he said finally.

“Nothing Edward could not assign to him also,” Roger said.

Audley nodded.

“Then what is it that Hugh Despenser fears will come to light?” he asked.

“I have no idea,” Roger replied. “Isn’t there anyone we could interrogate on his past?”

Audley was thinking.

“No one comes to my mind. We cannot interrogate his father or any family members,” he said.

Audley rose to his feet.

“I will be thinking about it, d’Amory. Think also. I will come to see you again very soon,” he said.

Hugh Audley left Roger’s room. Roger went to the window. He looked out into the night. Roger was thinking for an hour or two. Then he turned abruptly and hurried out of the room.

~~**~~



This story is copyright © 2011 by Dolores Esteban. The descriptions of characters, the concept of the story, and the plot are original, and are the property of the author. Distribution is prohibited without the author’s written consent.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..