Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Space Pioneer 3 - The Yanara Archives - 3. Chapter 3

They arrived at the planet seven days later. The Horus went into orbit and the computer scanned the planet thoroughly. The sensors detected no life forms were, but discovered the remains of an old town. Lest decided to land on the planet and set out and investigate the old city. The Daglon warship landed in a plain, half an hour flight away from the town. Lest, Jeff and Corr took a shuttle and set out to explore the ancient city.

The men were stunned at the sight of monumental buildings that were erected along streets and avenues. Freeze-thaw had broken the rock of the walls and chemical erosion had damaged the surface. The painting on the walls was gone and the naked rock was primeval. Stone serpents seemed creeping down the walls. Their heads, twice as big as the Horus shuttle, rested on the pavement. The serpents’ mouths were open and showed two long and sharp obsidian teeth that reflected the light of the sun.

“No signs of biological activities,” Lest said. “I think this place was left long ago.”

They moved down the wide avenue that was dusted with white sand and was torn open in a few places. The men were suited up, although the air was breathable. The suits were combat suits and the men were glad they had picked them. They carried plasma guns and they seized them tighter the farther they proceeded into the town.

“This place is creepy,” Jeff said. “Decay has settled in, but peace has not come with the ages. I feel as if an age-old threat lingers in the streets and tries to grasp my mind.”

Lest gave a grunt of approval.

“I can barely believe the rest of the planet is covered with ice sheets,” Corr said.

“The northern mountain ridge stops the warm southern air,” Lest said.

“Yes,” Corr replied. “These mountains are high. 7,000 meters on average.”

They entered the large and square place that was the center of the city. The sight was shocking. The pavement of the place looked glazed, molten in some areas, and the buildings were vastly destroyed.

“An atom bomb,” Lest said. “A nuclear war ended life on Yanara.”

The men looked across the place. It seemed the agony of a long gone past had frozen in an instant and had left the destroyed buildings and the glazed streets as a witness to eternity.

“Let’s go back,” Lest said.

The men went back to the shuttle that was parked at the edge of the city and flew back to the main ship. The shuttle entered the Horus and the men got off and went to the armory where they took off their combat suits and stowed away their weapons. They went on the bridge. Lest sat down in his seat and looked at his crew.

“The planet faced a nuclear war. The recorded transmission roughly 1,000 years ago is a mystery. Maybe it came from a stranded ship,” he said.

“I felt as if someone or something was out there, watching us, lurking in the streets like a shadow,” Jeff said.

“It cannot be,” Lest said. “The Horus computer didn’t detect any life forms. We had a look at the city. The city is dead. Our mission is accomplished. I’ll contact Okpara.”

 

***


Corr established a connection with the chief archivist. The man’s face showed on the screen.

“Greetings to you, Okpara,” Lest said. “We had a look at the city. The city is dead. No biological life forms exist on the planet. The planet of origin of the Yanara people, if this is the planet anyway, faced a nuclear war. The computer detected no lethal nuclear contamination. It reclined over the ages, but a nuclear war would explain the ice age. It could be the result of a nuclear winter.”

“We always considered us refugees with a forgotten past. Thanks to your endeavors we were able to identify our home planet. I have no doubt you found it, Captain Lest. The stone serpents strongly indicate you did, ” Okpara said.

“I can’t explain the signal that the passing ship received 1,000 years ago,” Lest continued. “It an error signal perhaps or maybe it came from a stranded ship that the subsequent investigation unfortunately didn’t detect. The signal came from the ancient city, according to the stated coordinates in the report. We didn’t see a stranded or crashed ship there, but our search was only a short scouting expedition. Since the Horus computer didn’t detect any biological forms on the planet, we must conclude that all life died out as a result of the nuclear war and that there were no survivors on the planet. Hence, the refugees on the spaceship were the only Yanara survivors.”

The old archivist nodded thoughtfully. “Captain Lest, your mission is well accomplished. Could you send us video material as a documentation, please, pictures on the walls and inscriptions preferably. Thus we could approach the Alliance and launch an official investigation mission. I speak on behalf of the Society of Yanara Archives. We’d pay another 10,000 credits in addition to the 50,000 credits we already agreed on.”

“Let me think about it, Okpara,” Lest replied. “I would have to set up a proper expedition. It must be carefully planned.”

“Of course, captain,” Okpara replied. “Contact me in the course of the day.”

They ended the conversation. Lest leaned back in his chair.

“I don’t look forward to visiting this place of decay again,” he said. “Corr and Le’Ton, scan the planet again for any life forms and check out the radiation. A deep scan of the city, please.”

Lest rose to his feet and nodded at Midad. The two men left the bridge and went to the galley. Lest hit a button of the food processor and ordered two cups of coffee. He placed them on the counter.

“What do you think, Midad?” he asked.

“We are able to set up an expedition without difficulties,” the doctor replied. “It wouldn’t take long to document the remains of the city. What bothers you, Lest?”

“A feeling that something is wrong there,” Lest said. “The scrambled transmission and the subsequent fruitless investigation give me some thought.”

“This was way back in the past,” Midad said.

“Why did the Alliance discard the planet and catalogue it as not suitable for settlement, mining and exo-culture?” Lest asked.

“The contamination with radiation and the ice age are convincing explanations,” Midad replied.

“The contamination has declined to tolerable levels and an ice-age can be ended by terraforming. The planet is rich in iridium, a paradise for miners, one must think,” Lest said.

Midad shrugged and took a sip of his coffee. “I don’t know, Lest,” he said. “You don’t have to do what Okpara wants. He can send another team here. It seems to me his society is awash in money.”

Lest nodded. “Yanara is an odd planet. It’s an odd mixture of old and new. A strange place,” he said, seizing his cup of coffee.

“Yes,” Midad replied. “The Alliance probably approached them prematurely. The Alliance is always eager to find new allies. The Mohic Empire and the Empire of Titania are strong independent nations. The Alliance would face difficulties in the case of a war.”

“I don’t see how the Yanara people could support the Alliance in the case of a war,” Lest said.

“The Yanara people can’t,” Midad said, “but the planet is a strategically significant point in space. It’s an Alliance outpost, much like the planet Cleus that the Alliance has sacked.”

“Do they plan to attack the Mohics or the Empire of Titania? Have they gone insane?” Lest asked. “In all honesty, Midad, the Alliance wouldn’t stand a chance against the Titan warriors.”

Lest placed his cup forcefully on the counter.

“I don’t think the Alliance will attack the Empire of Titania,” Midad said. “It’s more defensive measures or balancing means and forces, for a better term.”

“I didn’t get the whole sum from Perez for our trip to Rho 59,” Lest said. “I feel cheated, but I won’t argue with Perez. Anyway, Okpara’s offer came in handy.”

“You could have organized a transport to the Mohic Empire instead,” Midad said.

“The Yanara job intrigued me, another contract with the Mohics did not,” Lest said. “We’ll get another 10,000 for an expedition trip. I think the deal is profitable.”

“Acquisitive frenzy often enough results in financial ruin,” Midad said.

“I have to cover the costs,” Lest replied. “We have two more on board, Jeff and Hulton.”

“I won’t argue with your personnel decisions,” Midad said. “Although I think we’re a bit overstaffed.”

Lest raised an eyebrow. “And who do you think should I throw out?”

Midad made a dismissive gesture with his hand.” Let’s stop it, Lest. We’ve been too long on this ship to now start arguing with each other,” he said with a smile.

“You’re right,” Lest said, smiling back. “I apologize. Let’s plan this expedition instead.”

 

***


The expedition team was made up of Corr, Jeff, and Lest. They were suited up in combat suits. Their helmets were equipped with cameras. The men moved down the avenue and entered the glazed square place.

“The monumental architecture is totally unlike Yanara architecture,” Jeff said. “Is this really the same culture?”

“This place looks very unlike the planet Yanara, but it could well be their place of origin. Bear in mind that only 5,000 refugees reached Yanara,” Lest said. “They lost their technological knowledge and started anew as farmers on an unknown planet. Okpara’s ancient manuscripts tell of a spaceship, but the descriptions lack precision. The author of the texts had no idea of space travel. He only put down what he had heard, what had been passed on to him.”

The men crossed the glazed area and moved toward a building that dominated the place and was only partly destroyed. Wide steps led up to the entrance.

“A townhall, a guildhall, or the hall of the king,” Corr said. “It’s the most prominent building in the place, despite the damage.”

“I didn’t see any images or inscriptions on the walls of the buildings. The serpents sculptures are the only art work” Lest said. He looked around. “Hell, these serpent heads really give me the creeps.”

The entire place was seamed by huge serpent heads. The serpents’ mouths were open and showed two long obsidian teeth. Many serpents were damaged, many were also glazed, but what remained of them gave an impression of how the place had looked like in the past.

“I think the culture that built them was murderous and blood-thirsty,” Jeff said.

“You’re absolutely right,” Lest replied. “They killed each other in a nuclear war.”

“Which leaves a question,” Jeff said. “Who was the aggressor and who did they attack?”

“Two Yanara parties fighting over something,” Lest said.

He climbed the staircase to the entrance. Jeff and Corr followed him.

“I didn’t see the remains of any life forms,” Corr said. “Did they all get vaporized or are there just none to be found in the city?”

The others just shrugged. They reached the entrance. The opening was wide and high. The door wings were missing. A vast dark hole awaited them.

“An elephant would look dwarfed in this doorway,” Jeff said.

“What’s an elephant?” Corr asked from behind Jeff.

“A terrestrial animal,” Jeff said.

“Ah,” Corr replied. “I’m glad I can’t smell the stench that sweeps out of this pit.”

“Stench? How do you know? Is your imagination going wild?” Lest asked.

“Why? Don’t you look at the display that the neural implant provides? It shows the data that the helmet sensors get,” Corr said.

“Hydrogen sulfide. The smell of rotten eggs,” Jeff said. “The stench fits the scary look and feel of the place.”

The men moved on and entered the building. The hall was large and the light was dim despite of the light from the entrance. The floor and the walls were tessellated. The mosaics showed white and red serpents, entwined and entangled. The walls had no windows.

“No images and inscriptions in here, I think,” Lest said. “But let’s walk along the walls to make sure we don’t miss anything. Corr, Jeff, examine the side walls. I’m going to have a have a look at the rear wall.”

The men crossed the hall and checked on the walls.

“Gross!” Lest cried out. “I’ve found the source of the stench.”

The others joined him. Lest pointed at the rear wall where a vast carcass lay on the floor. The serpent-like body stretched from one wall to the other, a length of approximately forty meters. The body’s diameter was roughly two meters.

“A giant snake,” Corr said. “Where is the head?”

“Up there,” Jeff said, pointing up the wall. “God, it makes me want to puke.”

Lest and Corr looked up. The serpent’s head was placed on a platform on the wall. The mouth was torn open and showed two long and sharp teeth.

“A serpent cult. Disgusting at least,” Lest said.

“Those stone serpents are based on a real giant snake,” Jeff said. “Incredible. Why did the computer not detect this nasty thing?”

“It’s dead,” Corr said. “The body is rotting and producing the stench. The head looks preserved. This would mean that someone preserved it. This would mean that somebody is alive here.”

“Correct,” a male voice said.

The three men spun around. A figure stood in the doorway, wrapped in a tattered aluminum blanket.

“So much for no life forms on the planet,” Jeff said. “Why didn’t the Horus computer detect him?”

“Too subtle a sign probably,” Corr said.

Lest made a gesture with his hand. “Muted communication, encrypted channel,” he said. He focused on his neural implant and contacted the Horus.

The man came closer. His head and face was covered by a shawl. The cloth had two small holes where the eyes were not covered. Corr raised his plasma gun and Jeff made a step back.

“The Quetzal announced your coming,” the man said, waving one hand at the carcass of the serpent behind them. “We thought our wait had an end when the vehicle arrived so long ago, but we were mistaken. It was not yet the time. The era of the Quetzal had not yet come to an end.”

He stepped closer.

“The men who came with the vehicle gave us clips for our ears, so that we could talk with them. They hoped we could help them leave the planet, but it was a false hope. The clips didn’t work and the vehicle didn’t fly anymore. We wanted to leave with the vehicle, but it was seriously damaged. The clips still work and your vehicle will fly and take us away. This is the death-bed will of the Quetzal,” the man said.

He made another step towards them. Corr pointed his gun at him and Jeff watched the man warily while Lest communicated with the men on the main ship.

“The men worked on what they called a communication module. They tried to speak with it like we spoke with the Quetzal, but their god didn’t reply. Or maybe it did, because a while later another vehicle arrived, but it fled at the sight of the Quetzal and the army of fearless warriors that was led by Aucaman, the leader of my people back then,” the man carried on. He pointed at the carcass. “This Quetzal was the last of his kind. They can go long without food and water. Food and water ran short after the Ki Tsin. The Ki Tsin didn’t kill the Quetzal. They even got bigger and stronger by the Ki Tsin. The Quetzals were gods in the old days and only the gods did survive.” The man paused. “And the spared ones, of course,” he added.

“Why do we understand him?” Corr asked on the muted channel.

The translation that came in via the neural transplants was odd at times, but they got most of what the man said.

“He speaks Ancient Zalaki,” Lest said. “His ear clips connect to the Alliance database. The clips run on a battery. A wonder the battery has not yet died. The ship stranded 1,000 years ago. The manufacturers of these clips promote them as working for a lifetime. They work even longer, I see.”

“What can we do? Shall I blast him down?” Corr asked.

“Wait,” Lest said. “He has no weapon. I’m certain there are others and I want to hear more from him before I take a decision. I’ve contacted the Horus. They’re coming.” Lest opened the external channel. “The Ki Tsin?” he asked, making a step towards the man.

“The Ki Tsin killed the life on the planet. Only the Quetzals survived. And the people that Nanco, the first leader of the spared people, led into the room that is devoid of the sun,” the man said.

“A nuclear fallout shelter, I suspect,” Lest said on the muted channel. He opened the channel again. “Where is this room and what is your name?” he asked.

“This room is right beneath your feet and my name is Lakaman,” the man replied. He wrapped the aluminum blanket tighter around his body.

“Why the aluminum blanket?” Jeff asked. “It can’t really protect him from radiation.”

“The radiation has declined to a tolerable level,” Corr said.

“He doesn’t know,” Lest replied. He turned to Lakaman. “What happened with the men who came in a spaceship long ago?”

“They died,” Lakaman said. “Ki Tsin killed them. Not right away, though. It is said they lived forty days before Ki Tsin killed them.”

“I rather think they starved,” Jeff said.

“And the other ship that arrived a while later? Did they find the first ship and the dead men?” Lest asked.

Lakaman didn’t reply instantly. He stepped closer. “I don’t know. It is said they fled when they saw the Quetzal and Aucaman’s army,” he said. “The Quetzal announced your coming. His death announced the end of the wait, the end of an era. Where is your vehicle?”

“Parked outside town,” Lest said.

Lakaman nodded. “We’ll go there now,” he said. “I’m calling the Yanara people.”

“How many are there?” Lest asked.

“One hundred and four,” Lakaman said. “Food and water ran out after the Ki Tsin. The first of the spared people took a lot of food to the room that is devoid of the sun. It lasted long, but not long enough. We cultivate cabyum in the hallways that lead to the room that is devoid of the sun.”

“What’s this?” Jeff asked. “Mushrooms?”

“I have no idea,” Lest replied.

Lakaman made another step forward until he stood in front of them. His shawl covered his face and although the cloth had holes for his eyes, the men were not able to see Lakaman’s eyes.

“I feel as if a mummy returned to life and is speaking to me,” Jeff said. “It’s downright creepy. His sight sends shivers down my spine. Can we leave the hall, please.”

“We’ll leave as soon as the Horus has arrived,” Lest said. He addressed Lakaman. “You ran out of food, but yet you survived?” he asked to keep the man talking and gain them time.

“Among the spared people a few are chosen. They hear the call of the Quetzal. It is very rare, but when they hear the call, they offer their bodies and their blood to the people,” Lacaman said. “Thus we survive. It is the will of the serpent.”

“Cannibalism,” Corr said. “What’s it got to do with the serpent?”

“God, it makes me want to puke,” Jeff blurted out.

Lest raised his hand. “Quiet,” he said on the muted channel. He focused on his neural implant.

“The Horus is over the city. They took in the shuttle. The computer picked up Lakaman’s body signature, but doesn’t detect other people. I think the people are underground and the room is perfectly shielded. Let’s move to the entrance slowly,” Lest said. He turned to Lakaman. “You want to get on my ship? Where do you want to go with it?”

“We will go where the others went before the Ki Tsin killed the life on the planet,” Lakaman said.

“How do you know where this place is? Do you know where they went?” Lest asked.

“It is written down in the Yanara Archives where the other Yanara went,” Lakaman said. “It is said they had a vehicle like the ones that came in the times of Aucaman. We don’t know how to read anymore, but we’ve learned the words all by heart. It is said that the vehicle must be fed with the holy words. We’ll speak to the communication module like the men did so long ago. Our words will awaken the god and it will answer with a mighty roar. We will pledge the mighty serpent to take us to the place without Ki Tsin. The last Quetzal died and with it the era of Ki Tsin. The vehicle will take us to the place. I’ll feed it the holy words and it will swallow them. Thus it will know.”

“He has no idea of how a spaceship works,” Corr said.

“He has no idea of a spaceship at all. He confounds it with a flying serpent,” Jeff said.

“How should he know?” Lest asked. “His talk is all based on what was passed on to him through the ages.” He focused on his implant. “The Horus has landed in the glazed place and is in standby mode. Hulton and Le’Ton are on the bridge. They’ll open the rear hatch. Galven and Forrit will secure it. They’re suited up in the cargo bay. Once we’ve left the hall, we’ll run.”

Lest moved slowly through the hall. Lakaman walked by his side and continued talking. Jeff and Corr followed them. They stepped outside. Lakaman winced under the bright sun and pressed his shawl against his face with both hands.

“The light hurts. The spared people are used to the darkness in the room that is devoid of the sun, but we will bear the pain of the light as we walk to your vehicle. I’m calling my people now,” he said.

Lakaman took one hand from his face and spotted the Horus. The huge Daglon warship rested in the glazed place, surrounded by the rock serpent heads. The sight was absurd and surreal.

“A Quetzal,” Lakaman stammered.

“What?” Lest asked. He was descending the stairs.

“This hall is the hall of the Quetzal. The building is the head of the Quetzal. The entrance is the opening of its mouth. Two white pillars stood in the doorway in ancient times. They were the teeth of the Quetzal,” Lakaman explained as he followed Lest down the stairs.

Corr and Jeff followed the men.

The rear hatch of the Horus opened and the ramp descended. Galven and Forrit appeared in the opening, suited up in white combat suits.

“The holy Quetzal has returned,” Lakaman said with awe. “He opens his mouth and sticks out his tongue and shows his two white teeth.” He reached out a hand towards the spaceship. The time has come. The time has finally come,” he said in a quivering voice.

Jeff and Corr went past the man.

Lest looked back and waved his hand. “Run,” he said through the intercom.

The three men were running and dashing up the ramp. The men looked out as the rear hatch was closing. Lakaman pulled down his shawl.

“Oh my god,” Jeff said in shock.

The man had no nose and no lips. His head was a skull that was covered with thin rust-brown skin with black dots.

“Mutants,” Corr said.

“Do you think they all look like him?” Jeff asked.

“Could well be,” Lest said. “The Alliance detected them one thousand years ago and decided to ignore them. A scandal.”

The hatch closed. Lakaman had not moved, probably stunned by the arrival of spaceship.

The men went on the bridge and sat down in their seats. The ship took off and climbed to orbit. Lest contacted Okpara and reported to the archivist what they had found on the planet. Okpara was shocked. He asked for the video material. The men’s helmet cameras had recorded the events and the Horus computer had received the transmission of the talk between Lest and Lakaman. Lest sent the material to the Yanara archivist.

Okpara contacted them again the following day.

“Thank you for the material, Captain Lest,” he said. “The rest of the sum has been sent to your ship account. Our society will take legal steps against the Alliance for negligence and obfuscation of their discovery. Our lawyer is dedicated to the case. The Yanara elite, our scientists and technicians, will launch a rescue mission. No matter how degenerated our Yanara brothers may be, we must not leave them to themselves. Lakaman clearly stated that they want to leave the planet. They waited 11,000 years for a ship to pick them up and have never given up hope. They deserve a helping hand from their brothers. Thank you again, Captain Lest, for taking up on our job offer and accepting this mission.”

“I’m glad I could help you,” Lest said. “Greetings to you, Okpara.”

The transmission ended and Lest leaned back in his seat. He looked out of the front window. It showed the blackness of real space.

“On to Cyrus,” he said. “What about an uneventful trip to the Mohic Empire for a change?”

The others nodded their agreement.

The Daglon warship dropped out of real space.

 

***
Many thanks for reading.
2015 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh my, I pressed something and lost my whole review!

 

I did like the story though; it's good to see everybody. Definitely a strange and
sobering tale. I hope somebody tells the poor, patient mutants that they haven't
been abandoned again, -and soon!

Link to comment
On 08/30/2015 04:55 AM, Daddydavek said:

That was a shock and a surprise....

 

More please.

Many thanks for reading. I'll continue with Space Pioneer 4 - Azar Kazbek, another short story.

Link to comment
On 08/30/2015 09:51 AM, Stephen said:

Oh my, I pressed something and lost my whole review!

 

I did like the story though; it's good to see everybody. Definitely a strange and

sobering tale. I hope somebody tells the poor, patient mutants that they haven't

been abandoned again, -and soon!

Many thanks for reading. I'm glad you liked the story, although it's indeed somewhat strange. I'll continue with another short story, Space Pioneer 4 - Azar Kazbek.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..