Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Space Pioneer 4 - Akar Kazbek - 2. Chapter 2

The ship dropped out of real space. Lest contacted Perez.

“Lest here. The trip was uneventful. One hour until arrival on the asteroid,” Lest said.

“Cancel the approach at once, Lest,” Perez said in an urgent voice. “The miners went on strike. Demonstrations grew increasingly aggressive. Riots started today. Alliance is on the way to the asteroid belt. A few ships are already there. Our mining ship can’t land on the asteroid and take off from there unimpeded. The Goyans are working on a plan. We’ll set something up. Wait for further instructions.”

Lest straightened and inhaled deeply. “Perez, forget about it. There’s no way I’ll land the Horus on Akar Kazbek.”

“We’ll set something up, Lest,” Perez said and ended the transmission.

The main screen went dark. Lest was staring at it.

“Damn,” he said, turning to the front console. “Corr, full stealth mode, additional shields. Le’Ton, send a map of the system to the screen.”

The map showed the sun and the nine planets of the system. A brief description of the planets was included in the map.

The first planet was a solid celestial body with a hot and toxic atmosphere. The second planet, a terraformed rock planet, was partly inhabited, but wide areas were left untouched. They were covered with boulders, huge basalt rocks, the result of volcanic activity in the past. The planet was a center of scientific research. The third planet Akar Kazbek, the main planet of the system and a major center of Alliance activities and operations, was densely populated. The fourth planet resembled Akar Kazbek closely and was also populated. The second, third and fourth planet were under complete Alliance control. The fifth and sixth planets were gas giants. The three outer planets were solid but too cold for settlement, the average temperature was 50 to 110°C below zero, but Alliance military had nonetheless set up a couple of outposts there.

The space between the planets was studded with platforms and probes. Many probes were military probes that observed and recorded all incoming and leaving spaceships. The recordings were kept for a year and were then discarded, according to official Alliance statements, but nobody believed it. The official flight corridors were documented in the map. It was mandatory to use them because traffic was heavy round the clock.

“Forty-five minutes until arrival on the asteroid,” Corr said.

“Cancel approach,” Lest said. “Le’Ton, plot a route to the outmost planet. We’ll go into orbit until we hear from Perez once more.”

The Horus passed the asteroid belt and set course on the ninth planet of the system. They avoided the two main flight corridors in the area and moved along the boundary of a secondary flight corridor for cargo vessels. The ship reached the ninth planet, Lambda Eridani, and went into orbit.

Two hours had passed by when Perez called the ship again. “Perez here, Where are you, Lest?” the dealer asked.

“Orbiting the ninth planet,” Lest replied.

“How’s the ambassador doing?” Perez asked.

“Fine, I suppose. I’ve not yet informed him on the change of operation. He’s in his room,” Lest replied.

“Good,” Perez said. “Listen, Lest. The Goyan ship, a commercial passenger ship, that is supposed to take the ambassador on board on Akar Kazbek, cut down its speed and is coming in slow. They sent an emergency code due to engine failure and were assigned a secure flight corridor, E2T3. Line up with the ship. It will land in sector G8 of the main spaceport on Akar Kazbek.”

“What do you think, Perez? I can’t land the ship in an Alliance spaceport. Too many vessels everywhere. How do you think should we land there and take off? They’ll detect the Horus as soon as we’ll enter the atmosphere.”

“Nonsense, Lest,” Perez replied. “They won’t detect the Horus in stealth mode. Just do what I’ll say. We worked something out. You’ll leave the flight corridor immediately after entering the atmosphere. Land the Horus in Aphea, a closed airport at the edge of a desert, three hundred nautical miles from the main spaceport. I’m sending the coordinates. The Goyans on Akar Kazbek chartered a hovercraft and are already on their way to Aphea,” Perez said.

“Nicely thought out,” Lest said. “I see a minor fault, though. Leaving the secure flight corridor and dashing through Alliance airspace might prove a little difficult. I’m thinking of a possible collision with another craft.”

“Well, Lest, everybody has a part in the plot. That’s why I hired you and your ship. I trust you can wing it,” Perez said with a smirk. “I mean, I’m confident you’ll know how to improvise.”

“Thanks,” Lest said sourly. “When will the Goyan ship enter the system?”

“In fifteen minutes,” Perez said. “Flight corridor E2T3 is about fifteen degrees clockwise from your current position. Check the map of the system. The Goyan ship communicates with Akar Kazbek ground control on emergency channel E111. And, Lest, good luck.”

“Thanks, Perez. Lest, out,” Lest said. He turned to the front console. “Jeff, identify corridor E2T3 and program the course. You and Corr are in charge of the line-up with the Goyan ship. Le’Ton, check out Aphea and the air traffic in the sector. Plot the safest path to Aphea.”

“Little time to do this properly,” Le’Ton said.

“Well, rise to a challenge,” Lest replied. “I’m confident you can.”

“Roger, captain,” Le’Ton said, focusing back on his screens.

“Hulton, watch out for the Goyan ship and monitor channel E111,” Lest said.

Lest leaned back in his chair and looked at the main screen. The Horus left orbit and proceeded to flight corridor E2E3 where they waited for the Goyan ship. Thirty minutes went by.

“The sensors detected the Goyan ship,” Hulton said finally. “The Goyan ship is slow.”

“Ready the Horus for line-up,” Lest said.

“Ship is ready for line-up,” Corr confirmed a minute later.

“Visual contact with the Goyan ship established,” Hulton said.

“Image to the screen,” Lest said.

The screen activated and showed a big Goyan spaceship, clearly a commercial passenger ship. Blue external lights were switched on and the ship moved along the flight corridor at a slow but steady speed.

“The Goyan ship is on redundancy systems,” Hulton said.

“Can we listen in on the talk between ground control and ship?” Lest asked.

“I’m monitoring the channel,” Hulton said. “I’m sending the transmission to the bridge intercom.”

Cydona ground control requested a status update from the Goyan ship. A male voice, presumably the Goyan captain, replied. The man reported that the ship’s redundancy systems worked properly and that the engineers attempted to reboot the ship’s main engines. His reply was accurate and to the point, but the words were clipped and pressed. The undertone revealed the man’s stress.

“He sounds as if he fears his ship will go down and won’t make it to Akar Kazbek. The man is a good actor,” Lest said.

“Either this or he fears detection of his fraud,” Jeff said.

“Correct. I can actually relate to his concerns,” Lest replied drily.

“The Horus has lined up with the ship,” Corr said. “The Goyan ship moves steady and on a straight course. The Horus adapted to the Goyan ship’s speed.”

“The airport Aphea is located at the edge of a desert and is partly buried in sand. The airport was given up twenty years ago because of the expanding desert,” Le’Ton said. “We can’t use the main runways. They’re all covered with sand. But there’s a vast parking area that’s not yet entirely covered with sand. A hover landing shouldn’t be a problem. Air traffic is practically zero in this sector. The main spaceport is the center of flight activities. I suggest we leave flight corridor E2E3 immediately after entering the atmosphere and fly due north. The main spaceport is located on the northwestern coast on 20° latitude. Only ocean up to the northern pole. Flights come in mainly from southern directions and there are only two official northern flight corridors. We can avoid them and fly into Aphea from a northern direction. I’ll plot a course.”

“Good work, Le’Ton,” Lest said. “Jeff, status update, please.”

“We’re passing the sixth planet in twenty minutes,” Jeff replied. “Arrival at Akar Kazbek in approximately six hours.”

“Can the Goyan ship run another six hours on the redundancy systems?” Lest asked. “They must perform a landing, too.”

“It should work out,” Hulton said. “The Goyan captain just informed ground control that they have another six hours and forty minutes on the redundancy systems. Ground control suggested landing on the fourth planet, but the Goyan captain declined. He’s confident his ship will make it to Akar Kazbek in time.”

“The man knows his metes and bounds,” Lest said, rising from his seat. “I’m going to speak with the ambassador. It’s time to inform him on the change of operation.”

 

***


“What happened, captain,” Jokin Trecothik asked. “Shouldn’t we have arrived already?”

Lest reported the new plans to the man. Jokin tensed.

“It was my first official mission as a Goyan ambassador. It all went terribly wrong. I think I must resign from my position,” he said.

“Why, ambassador? The Goyans put a lot of effort in getting you back,” Lest said. “You must not disappoint them.”

Jokin smiled faintly. “I wish it were over already. When will we land on Akar Kazbek?”

“In a couple of hours. Stay in your quarters, Jokin. I’ll keep you updated,” Lest said.

Jokin nodded and took a deep breath. He sat down in a seat and clenched the arms of the chair. “Thank you, Captain Lest,” he said.

Lest gave him a nod, then left and went back on the bridge.

The two ships moved along the assigned flight corridor, the Goyan ship with its emergency lights switched on and the Horus in full stealth mode.

 

***


The ships approached Akar Kazbek. The Goyan captain was given the entry vector and the Goyan ship started the descent. The Horus increased the distance to the Goyan ship. The two ships entered the planet’s atmosphere. The Goyan ship followed the path to sector G8 of the main spaceport and the Horus pulled away and dashed due north. The Horus decelerated and made a wide left turn. Avoiding the two official northern flight corridors, the Horus flew back south and set course on Aphea. The external sensors didn’t depict any objects traversing the ship’s route. The plan seemed to work out, but the atmosphere on the bridge was nonetheless tensed. The Horus decelerated and the ship continued its flight at the speed of a conventional aircraft.

“Arrival at Aphea in five minutes,” Corr said.

“Coordinates of the parking area are entered,” Le’Ton said.

The ship arrived and hovered over the deserted airport. The sensors were scanning the area.

“The area is empty. No signs of any operations under way,” Hulton said. “The Goyan’s hover vehicle is not yet there.”

“Okay, touch down,” Lest commanded. “We’ll wait for the Goyans down there.”

Corr initialized the hover landing and the ship landed smoothly in the parking area.

“Ship in standby mode,” Lest said. “Hulton, any sign of the Goyan hovercraft? Scan the farther surroundings and the roads to the airport.”

Twenty minutes passed by. Lest was pacing the bridge impatiently. Finally, the sensors detected an approaching vehicle.

“Zoom in, please.” Lest said, looking at the main screen.

A hovercraft was coming down the main road to the airport. The vehicle entered the airport area and proceeded to the parking site. It stopped at the entrance, the doors opened and four Goyans climbed out. They looked around. One man pulled out a device and spoke into it.

“Stealth mode out,” Lest said.

The Goyans jumped when the Daglon warship became visible. They gazed at it, one Goyan pointed at the ship, another at the hovercraft.

“Open external communication channel,” Lest said.

“Channel open,” Corr replied.

“Captain Lest speaking. I see you and the hovercraft. Please identify yourselves,” he said.

The Goyans jumped and then hurried towards the ship.

“Can we be sure these are the men who are supposed to pick up Jokin?” Jeff asked from the console.

“Contact Perez,” Lest said.

The Cyrus dealer was on the main screen a few seconds later.

“Lest, I see you made it,” Perez said with a smile.

“Four individuals are approaching the ship,” Lest said. “They look Goyan, but can we be sure these are the men who were sent to pick up Jokin Trescothik?”

“I’m sending an alpha-numeric code that the Goyans on Cyrus provided,” Perez said. “The Goyans on Akar Kazbek must provide this exact same code. Ask them to contact the ship. They carry a portable device.”

“All right, Perez,” Lest replied. “Hold the line.”

Perez confirmed with a nod.

“Provide me with a safe channel, Corr,” Lest said.

Corr sent a channel code and Lest activated the external intercom.

“Contact the ship on channel D282,” he said.

The Goyans stopped and bent over their device. A short time later, the Horus computer announced an incoming message. The Goyans sent the alpha-numeric code.

“Check the code against the code Perez sent, Hulton,” Lest said.

“Each code has a sequence of 117,892 numbers and letters. The computer compared the codes. The codes are identical,” Hulton said.

“The codes are identical, Perez,” Lest said. “We’ll open the rear hatch in a couple of minutes. I’ll go and get the ambassador.”

Lest left the bridge and went to the quarters. He entered Jokin Trescothik’s room. Lest smiled amiably at the man.

“Ambassador, are you ready to get off the ship?” he asked.

Jokin wiped his forehead, then straightened and smiled at the captain. “The final part of the trip was hard to bear, but it was nothing compared to my long stay in Nanuq Kitlali’s tower. I’m ready to get off the ship. I thank you again, Captain Lest,” he said.

Lest gave him a nod and motioned at the door. The Goyan ambassador left the room. Lest showed him to the cargo bay and contacted the bridge.

“Open the rear hatch, Hulton,” he said.

The hatch opened and the ramp went down. Lest and Jokin left the ship. The four Goyans outside moved closer and stopped, gazing up the ramp.

“Father,” Jokin called out at the sight of the men.

He hurried down the ramp. An elderly Goyan opened his arms and hugged the young ambassador.

Lest went down the ramp. One of the Goyans turned to him, while the rest gathered around Jokin Trescothik.

“I’m Ittin Istcothik, the Goyan ambassador on Akar Kazbek. I came here to pick up my young colleague and arrange his safe travel home. I thank you, Captain Lest, on behalf of the Goyan nation,” the man said.

Lest gave the man a nod. “He’s a nice man,” he said. “He had much to endure.”

Ittin Istcothik nodded. “This is why I brought his father and his two brothers,” he said with a sideways glance at the group. “Family is important to the Goyans. His family has suffered, too.” The man turned his eyes back to Lest. “Good luck on your journey, Captain Lest.”

“Good luck on yours,” Lest replied with a smile. He turned away and ascended the ramp.

“Captain,” Jokin called out.

Lest turned back. Jokin and his father and brothers looked up to him.

“My sincerest thanks again, Captain Lest,” Jokin said.

“It was a pleasure to meet you, ambassador,” Lest replied with a nod. “Have a good trip home.”

Lest moved up the ramp and entered the cargo bay. He hit a button and closed the hatch manually. The captain went back on the bridge.

“Ready for take-off,” Lest said, sitting down in his chair. “Wait until the Goyans have left the area, then switch the ship back to stealth mode. Le’Ton, take up another challenge and plot us a safe route to orbit.”

“Yes, captain,” Le’Ton said in a flattered voice and turned back to the screens with a smile.

“Take up a challenge and rise to it. Bear in mind that what goes up must come down,” Hulton said drily.

“Shut up,” Le’Ton snapped.

The others laughed. Lest made a dismissive gesture with his hand and turned his eyes to the main screen. The airport area was deserted. The Goyans had left with the hovercraft.

“Perez. Lest here,” Lest said.

“I hear you,” Perez replied. “I heard the ambassador is in safe hands. Good work, Lest. I filled your ship’s account. The Goyans released the money. Where are you going? To Cyrus or elsewhere?”

“We’ll set course on Cyrus. I’ll see you there,” Lest replied.

They ended the transmission and the screen went black. Lest leaned back in his chair.

“All right,” he said. “Corr, initiate take-off .”

 

***


The Horus climbed to orbit and followed the path Le’Ton had plotted. The ship moved along the boundary of a flight corridor for mining ships. The corridor was less frequented than usual due to the miner’s strike and only two ships came their way and passed by. The Daglon warship moved on, shielded and undetected by the cargo ships. As soon as the Horus had left the solar system, Lest commanded the switch to space jump mode. The sound of the engines changed, the light on the bridge flickered and the Horus dropped out of real space. The ship set course on Cyrus.

The Horus was on autopilot. The crew went to the galley and the lounge.

“I’m glad things turned out well in the end,” Doctor Midad said, placing a plate with a sandwich on the galley counter.

“Yes,” Lest said, poking in a pile of scrambled eggs. “It was a tough mission.”

“I’m never sure which side Perez is on,” Jeff said. “He organized the illegal Titan weapon transport and acted as a mediator in the Goyan ambassador’s kidnap.”

“Perez is a criminal, but he acts within certain limits,” Lest said, reaching out for a salt shaker. “He has a set of personal ethics. Believe it or not.”

The trip to Cyrus was uneventful. The Horus touched down in the assigned hangar and the men got off the ship. Lest went to Perez’ office. The dealer stood behind his counter, checking the display of a device. He looked up when Lest entered.

“Lest. Glad to see you. How are you doing?” he asked.

“Fine,” Lest replied. “How are things going, Perez?”

“I can’t complain,” Perez replied with a smirk. “You did an excellent job with the Goyan ambassador, Lest. What are your plans?”

“We’re going to enjoy the comforts of the planet,” Lest said. “We’ll stay on Cyrus for a couple of days. No plans yet. I’ll have the ship overhauled and updated.”

“I could offer you some new equipment,” Perez said.

“That’s why I came here,” Lest replied.

Perez pointed at the table in the corner of his room. “Let’s sit down and talk, Lest,” he said amiably.

He knocked at the back door of the room and a henchman looked out. Perez spoke to him, the man disappeared and came back a short while later with a small tray in his hands. He placed two glasses of Serena tea on the table.

Perez locked the front door, sat down and rubbed his hands. Lest smiled inwardly. He seized his glass and took a sip. It was going to be a long talk and tough negotiations, he guessed.

 

***
2015 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..