Jump to content
    DynoReads
  • Author
  • 839 Words
  • 606 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Moments in Time - 2. Farmer's Market - Like a Photograph

Photographs, a 2 dimensional picture, capture a moment in time. A memory is more than a picture.
Visit a Farmer's Market with Todd as he searches for the perfect memento for a friend...

Todd carefully climbed the step ladder in his closet and retrieved an old photo box from the top shelf. He cradled the box in his arms as he walked into his bedroom and sat on the bed.

I know there is something in here from that farmer’s market where I first met Jim and Martin. Hopefully it’s something that can be the something old for their wedding. I’m so glad they can legally marry now.” Musing aloud, Todd took the top off the box and rifled through the contents.

He placed several photographs on the bed. Pictures weren’t what he needed right now. Underneath he found pennants from several gay pride parades. While old, the small flags weren’t exactly what he wanted either. They joined the photographs on the bed. The next item down was a brochure from Miller’s Crossing Farmer’s Market.

That’s the place, but a brochure just wouldn’t work for a wedding.” Todd picked up the brochure to add it to the pile on the bed. As he placed it on the bed, two 2 inch wreaths woven from corn husks fell on his lap. “Ah, how perfect. Not only from the market where I met Jim, but we first talked about the sweet corn.”

Todd studied the picture of sweet corn on the brochure and remembered meeting Jim when he was 16:

Why can’t I go to the pool? I could be watching hot guys! Instead Mom drags me to this lame farmer’s market. I hate this place. Todd randomly grabbed corn ears and shoved them into the carry bag.

You don’t want that ear,” a deep voice rumbled next to him.

Huh?” He looked up at a tall, dark haired guy. “Why not?”

There's a worm in that ear.” The guy pointed to a round hole in the corn husk. “You can see that the worm entered there.” He picked up another ear.

This one looks good, because it’s nice and fat, but there's a lot of silk on the end. That means it isn’t fully ripe. If you peel back the husks like this, you can see the immature kernels on the end.” The man husked the ear and showed the teenager the small kernel at the end.

Todd watched for a moment, then dumped the carry bag out in the bin of corn. He carefully selected an ear with a little silk. He opened the husk as the man had showed him, and didn’t see any tiny kernels. He rolled the ear in his hands looking for the little holes in the husk. “This one looks good, doesn’t it?”

Yes, that's a good ear. Think you can handle it, son?”

Yeah, I guess so,” Todd grabbed another ear and carefully examined it.

The man clapped Todd on the shoulder and walked towards the melons. Todd watched as he picked up a musk melon and smelled it. Why did he smell the melon? That’s just weird.

Todd, what did that man want?” His mother interrupted his thoughts.

He was showing me how to choose good ears of corn, Mom.” Todd placed another ear in his carry bag.

Did you thank him for the help?” she asked.

No, he walked away before I could.” He watched the man who helped him as another man walked up with some strawberries.

Jim, look at these strawberries. They smell so divine!” He practically shoved the basket under the nose of the man.

Yes, they do Martin. I think some strawberries with this musk melon would make a great dessert tonight.” Jim put his arm around Martin’s waist and kissed the top of his head.

Todd saw his mom stiffen just before she grabbed his arm. As she yanked him away from the corn, she muttered “THOSE PEOPLE shouldn’t act that way in public.”

Todd winced. How will she react when she finds out I’m one of those people?

The church bell chiming 4 o’clock brought Todd out of his reminiscences.

She didn’t react well, that’s for sure. Jim thinks she’ll come around eventually. I don’t know.”

Pulling his cell phone from his pocket, Todd called his friend.

"Hello?"

"Hey Martin, this is Todd. Have you found anything for the something old yet?"

"We have some ideas, but nothing seems right," Martin sighed.

"I found a couple of those mini corn husk wreaths that tour groups made at Miller's Crossing. I think the florist could use them to make your boutonnières."

"I remember those. Miller's Crossing always had you make wreaths while the other farm markets made dolls. They would be perfect!" Martin replied.

"Then I'll take them to the florist." Todd pocketed the wreaths.

"Thank you so much. Don't be late to the rehearsal tonight. I need my best man there."

"Nothing will keep me away. See you there."

Todd picked up the brochure and photographs. He took one last look at the brochure before returning it to the memory box. He placed it carefully in the closet.

"Pictures are nice, but memories are better...."

My thanks to Bill W, for the beta read of this chapter, and to LJH for the edit.
Copyright © 2014 DynoReads; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..