Jump to content
    DynoReads
  • Author
  • 178 Words
  • 801 Views
  • 8 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Winter's Fury - 1. After the storm

A winter's storm predicts a terrible deed. Will he complete his plan, or will the ice stop him in his tracks?
*warning this poem concerns an attempted suicide*

With howling winds and rain in icy sheets,

Nature mourns what is to come.

Dropping temperatures preserve her tears:

giant icicles hang from branches, droop from eaves.


 

The sun peeks over the horizon,

the wind dies down, all is silent.

Sun light glistens on frozen trees,

dances across ice wrapped bushes.


 

Inside, unaware of the frozen beauty,

he makes his plans.

Writes a letter, loads his guns,

no need to pack this trip.


 

A front door slamming

shatters the morning calm;

determine strides crunch new fallen snow,

an engine roars to life in the frosty dawn.


 

Sure strides, a slip, a fall….

Arms thrown out, the rifle drops.

A loud retort, a single shot,

red drops splatter the pristine snow.


 

The engine chugs happily,

waiting for the man who lies upon the ground.

The sun climbs above the horizon,

the only witness to the tragedy below.


 

A sputter, and silence.

Fuel consumed, the engine sleeps.

Man and his machine, both at rest.

Nature mourns a life ended too soon.

The events described here did happen. A man planning to kill himself at his hunting cabin slipped on his icy steps and accidently shot himself. Instead of finding a note and calling the police, his family found his dead body, a horror he had hoped to spare them.
It takes a lot of work to plan a suicide. If you are, put your energy into reaching out instead: National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-TALK (8255)
Copyright © 2015 DynoReads; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well written account of a tragic end, but a powerful message for all that read it. Nicely done, Dyno.

Link to comment

Wow, Dyno...words fail me completely. I can so easily envision the family's discovery, having had such a tragedy impactme twice--once by one of my nephews' success, and the other by my last boyfriend. I can understand what caused it, but the feeling remains that I could have done more to prevent it if I'd only known...particularly in the latter instance, where I'd seen him less than a month before he died.

Link to comment
On 12/28/2014 12:55 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
Wow, Dyno...words fail me completely. I can so easily envision the family's discovery, having had such a tragedy impactme twice--once by one of my nephews' success, and the other by my last boyfriend. I can understand what caused it, but the feeling remains that I could have done more to prevent it if I'd only known...particularly in the latter instance, where I'd seen him less than a month before he died.
I think that is the worst part of a suicide. The guilt and helplessness of those left behind. I should have known. I should have seen. I should have done something else. When there may not have been anything anyone could have done.

 

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.

Link to comment
On 12/27/2014 03:31 PM, Bill W said:
Well written account of a tragic end, but a powerful message for all that read it. Nicely done, Dyno.
Thank you for the review, and the help polishing it.
Link to comment
On 12/27/2014 03:28 PM, nostic said:
Perfect thing to read to start a new day. Some people are unlucky even in dying.
Some people just can't face another day of the same things. Thanks for leaving a comment.
Link to comment

Years ago I came that close, but the thought of who would raise my kids jumped into my mind. Life is still a struggle but I decided to focus on my kids and pour my anger and sadness into my writing. I write a lot.
Deep story, thanks for writing it.

Link to comment
On 09/19/2015 01:12 PM, keyisfake said:

Years ago I came that close, but the thought of who would raise my kids jumped into my mind. Life is still a struggle but I decided to focus on my kids and pour my anger and sadness into my writing. I write a lot.

Deep story, thanks for writing it.

Thanks for the review.

 

This poem is the most difficult for me. I saw the guy mentioned about half an hour before he fell. It still haunts me.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..