Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 6,919 Words
  • 9,456 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Peace and Quiet - 3. Chapter 3

Things were just starting to get good...then Amos shows up.

Life was simple. I got up, worked on the farm, worked at the store, ate a few times when I could grab a bite, and slept. There was nothing stressful in my life and I loved it. Peace and simple living...I missed it. I made sure to call Mary Beth like I said I would and I called Zeke every night so I could make sure I went to bed in a good mood. He would natter on about anything and I would just listen and a few times let it lull me to sleep. I would wake up when he paused to breathe, about every hour or so, and he would chuckle and tell me to go to bed.

I saw one of the Pack leaders a few times a week. Sometimes it was Jon doing some shopping with another Pack member. He would introduce us and it was simple. Slowly I was getting to be known by the Pack and in turn I was getting to know them. There were a few other nomads like me who settled in the territory and they had nothing but good to say about the Alpha and his family.

Other times it was Pat, who would always greet me as if I truly mattered. It made me feel good to know someone thought I was worth more then just a whipping boy. He had a very mild manner to him. I could see why he was such a good mate for Jon. They were utterly devoted to each other and only each other. Part of me knew I would never be that lucky to find some so perfect for me.

Dylan would always greet me with a big smile and it was one such day that he came by the store that I wondered what was going on with him. He wasn't his normal creepy self. Something was on his mind.

“Hey, Quint, how are you today?” I was once again filling in for cashier. Thankfully it only happened once or twice a month, but I was getting use to it.

“Not too bad. Busy.”

“I can see that. Got a question for you.”

“Shoot.”

“What would you like to get from someone special to you?” I blinked. Did he just ask me... “I mean, what would be a good gift idea to get someone you liked. A lot.”

I thanked God it was that and not what it sounded like. It would have been too easy. As much as he creep me out, I knew I would go at the crook of his finger. I was lonely and he was hot. “Um...man or woman?”

“Woman.” There went the rest of that. I had no chance now. He did not play for my team.

I looked around and saw no one was close enough, so I whispered, “Human or Lycan?”

“Lycan. Lunais born.”

“Well, I would say something nice like perfume as long as it's subtle. Maybe a nice necklace. I don't really know. It's been too long since someone got me anything nice.”

“Really? Not even that ass I'm to keep watch for?”

“Yeah, well, he was never one for gifts. Too...macho. An alpha in his own mind.” I shook my head to chase away the thoughts. They were better left in the past and forgotten.

“Dropping the subject. A necklace sounds good. Platinum with a pendant. Thanks, Quint.” He paid for his groceries and left with a bounce in his step. Now that he wasn't stalking me, I could really see the charmer in him. Still creep me out a bit too much just from the touch. Then he came bouncing back in like the biggest kitten in the world. “Did you wanna grab some lunch? You have lunch in ten, right?”

I didn't even want to know how he knew that, but then he was the enforcer and it was his job to know what went on in the territory. “I...I guess. I only got a half hour until I start my actual shift.”

“Good. Reuben, extra sour kraut, and spicy mustard, right? With a Mountain Dew no ice? Seasoned fries with yellow mustard?”

“Stop being creepy...and yes.” He laughed and went skipping off towards the diner. I wish he would stop being so hot and so durned weird. Honestly, it was more frustrating than anything. How the hell did he know my lunch favorite?

When I did get to the diner the sandwich was just being served. “There you are, Little Quintin. When Dylan was ordering I knew that one was for you.” I chuckled and sat across from the walking bane of my life.

“So...how did you know exactly what I wanted?” A huge part of me was very suspicious.

“Dad said you ordered this when you first got here. When someone requests something this specific, it means it's a favorite.” So he did his homework. Not totally stalker creepy, but close enough to make me wonder. “So, first week aside, how has your home coming been?” I watched him take the biggest bite out of his burger...it was almost as big as my sandwich. Being he was seven feet huge...made sense.

“Not bad. Getting use to being around people. Amos...didn't encourage socializing and truth be told I didn't want anyone to find out about anything.” His face was very expressive. He even smelled unhappy.

“I didn't read the file Dad has but I'm going to say this was not your idea.” I shook my head. “One more reason to kick his ass ten ways from Sunday if he shows up.”

“I would say don't underestimate him. He's vicious.” He looked ready to ask what I meant and then stopped himself. I'm glad he did. I didn't want to think about all the nights of abuse.

“I won't. So, how's working at the store going?” Bless him for changing the subject. We chatted while I ate and he didn't seem to find it insulting when I would lapse into silence either. He would just wait until I talked and then would continue on as if the pause had only been a few seconds.

When I was heading back to work and going to pay my check, the cashier said it had been handled. “You didn't have to pay,” I said, a bit touched that he did.

“Hey, a lunch isn't much. I still feel like crap for making your first week hell.”

“Yeah, well you're still creepy.” He laughed and went walking back towards his truck. “Just not as creepy.” Lord help me, I did not need this in my life right now. I did not need to get some crush on the pack enforcer. I was in no shape to deal with a new relationship. It wasn't healthy. Even I knew that and I'm no durned expert on love. “Crap.” I went back to work.

When the Alpha invites you over for the evening on your day off, you don't say no. It would be insulting to even think it. The only problem is I didn't know anyone other than Jon, Pat and the Creepy One. The excuse was a company picnic. The reason was there was going to be a big announcement in the pack. It was a really big thing too else I wouldn't have gotten the invite.

I pulled up to see over a hundred Lycans I had never met...and this was just the ones gathered in the parking area of the camp. I could hear and smell twice as many scattered around and I almost got back in my car and left. It was too much. Too much noise, too many new scents, too much going on here that I was not ready for. Yet I was stuck because I saw Alpha Andrews standing with a very large man, and they had seen me.

“Quintin, would join us please?” asked Alpha Andrews. Like I could say no. I walked over, jumping at every new sound that came from all angles. “Quintin Marshall, this is Alan Davenport.”

The big man, Jon's foster father and the Alpha Solaris, stuck out his big hand. I felt dwarfed again and I could see where Dylan got his size. “A pleasure to meet you, Quint.” I heard the accent of an Aussie and couldn't help but grin.

“And you, Alpha Davenport.”

I watched his mouth twitch in amusement. “Just call me Alan. I may be an Alpha, although Solaris don't quite see it the same, but I'm still just a man.” I bowed slightly, hoping to not give offense. I was standing with two of the strongest Alphas on the continent and I felt so insignificant. “I have heard a lot about you from my grandson.”

“I...uh...”

“Grandpa, stop teasing Quintin. He thinks I'm creepy enough without your help.” I yelped a bit when I heard Dylan was right behind me. The glare I gave him made him step back. “Sorry. I figured you would hear me, but you're not use to so many people, are you?”

“Creep. And no. I almost didn't come, but no one in their right mind ignores an invitation from the Alpha...or all three.”

Said third alpha came up with his mate. Here I was, not even pack, the smallest guy here except I was a tad taller than Pat, and I felt so dwarfed it wasn't funny. Ever have that feeling? Like you're in such august company that no matter what you've accomplished in your life you would never measure up? That was me right then.

“Hey Quint. Glad you did come. You didn't have to and you don't have to stay. The pack is loud and obnoxious, especially if you're not use to it. It was an invite only, not a command. I technically cannot command you anyway since you're not pack, and I don't like ultimatums. I might request strongly, but most of the pack know they can tell me to stick it if they have good enough reason.”

I could only stare. People could say no to the Alpha...and live? “I...I need some air.” I fled. I knew the creek was just a short hike away and I headed there. No one followed immediately, although Dylan did after a few minutes. I sat on a rock that was out in the water and hadn't been hard to reach in a single jump. All this was too much. How many lies had Amos told me to keep me controlled? How many things had he made up about pack life? How much was true? I didn't know and it was making my head spin. Too many ifs and maybes. Too much I didn't know, and...

I caught a scent on the wind and I turned my head slowly in horror. Amos. He was standing right there not fifty feet from me and he had the scariest grin I had ever seen. “DYLAN!” I screamed and leaped back to the shore with all the speed fear can grant. I almost crashed into said enforcer.

“What is it?” I ran into his arms, damning myself for my fear. “Shit, where is he?” He knew there was only one thing that should put this much fear in me.

“Right over...” I pointed but no one was there. “He was...god let me just be seeing things, please.” I heard another sound right behind us and spun to see the three alphas and Pat, all of them having come at a dead run when they heard me scream. It was then that I felt that strange charge coming from Dylan and I stepped back. “I saw Amos right over there.” Dylan nodded and jogged around the creek bend to the spot, sniffing, and I waited with the others.

“Calm down, Quintin, and let me know exactly what you saw.” I dully looked over at Alan and just began to talk. About everything. I don't even know what, it just spilled out. Everything I had been told, everything I had seen...all of it and I couldn't stop. I felt like a whining brat, but they were all looking on as if what I had to say was the most important thing in the world. When I started to wind down, Alan turned to Dylan. “What did you find?”

“Foot prints leading there and away. I got a brief scent, but it was heavily masked. Might be something for you, Papa Travis. You got the best nose.” He nodded and trotted over to the spot. “While it may not make you feel better, you're not hallucinating. Someone was there and took off quick. It may not have been this Amos guy and the few I asked to look for him will tell me what they find.”

“God, I wish I was just seeing things. All of you must think I'm a coward.”

“Not at all.” Jon led me by the shoulder over to a fallen tree and we sat. It wasn't lost on me that by doing this said we were equals, just two men sitting on a log and talking about our troubles. “I have no idea what that dick put you through and I have very little idea of what seeing combat will do to a man. I can sympathize and tell you a bunch of words, but I'm not you. I don't know. I do know that you had the courage to leave a bad situation, to get out. A strategic withdrawal. That takes guts.

“You're a person who's been hurt and you're dealing with that. It's only been about a month, right?” I nodded, which made me realize that the full moon was only two nights away. “Give yourself time. I still get sweats when I think about how the leader of the East Coast Pack tried to have Dylan sacrificed. It scared the shit out of me to think that someone was going to cut out my son's heart for their own personal gain. Still does. I still lie awake at night and wonder if forming my own pack was the right thing to do for them. I'm not great leader, I just try to do my best and it seems they're willing to forgive my stupidity. The thing I realized and that you will too, is that you're surrounded by folks who want to see you get your head on straight and get over all of this. Pat, Travis, Pop, me, and especially Dylan.”

I made a face like I didn't quite believe that. “Hey, the little dude is loyal as a puppy. If he thinks you're worth his time, he'll make time for you. He asked me to invite you here today. I think he sees a lot of what he use to be. A person who felt like they didn't quite belong anywhere. A freak, a mistake, a scared boy just wanting to find his place in the world.” I looked down. I was all that and a twenty year old kid, who had a bad past too, it seemed, had seen all that and was right now looking at me like he was so durned worried about me. “It takes time. Give yourself that time to heal. If Amos is in town we'll find him and per your wish...impress upon him the need to leave you alone. If he doesn't take the hint, I'll rip his head off personally for messing with someone I respect.”

“This...is all so durned weird. You're nothing like Amos said an Alpha is supposed to be. None of you are. The only one that seems to fit is Pat.” Jon grinned.

“The homemaker?” I flushed a bit and nodded. “He does it because he likes to. He use to be my office assistant...guess he just likes to help out. And I let him...he makes damn good food.” I laughed. “That's better. And I'm not your typical alpha. I don't lead by an iron fist. Mine is more like a Nerf bat. It don't hurt unless I really want it to. Travis, he's more like the diplomatic type. He will listen to all sides and judge as he sees best. Pop...he's the independent type, which is why he adopted me umpteen billion years ago. He likes that people think for themselves. I learned a lot from them over the years and settled pretty much into the role of adviser and older brother. Not that I will stand for someone trying to take over, I'll knock some skulls as will the others. I just prefer to do it another way.”

Travis came back. “If this guy, as it is a male, feline, around late twenties to early thirties, close to three hundred pounds and almost six and a half feet tall,” I blanched at how well he had gotten the general stats of Amos from a sniff and examination, “if that's him, I have his scent now. He is good at masking it, but Lupus noses are better than the rest. I will be organizing a few things with and for Dylan and we'll find him.”

I nodded. “Thank you. All of you. Isn't there a barbecue going on?” They smiled and saw that while I was still scared, I was wanting to put on a brave face.

“That there is. We'll head back, give you a few more minutes. Little dude, hang back with him just in case.” The rest went back.

“Feeling better?”

“Better, but not good. He's here in town already and I don't know if I can even go home. I already told the folks to call the cops if they see him, but now I'm really worried about them.” He sat next to me and bumped me with his shoulder, which sent that shock through us. “And stop, creep. I don't need to feel that jolt every time you touch me.”

“You feel it too? I thought is was just static or something.” He grinned and nudged me one last time. I shoved him, which was as effective as a child shoving a two thousand pound bull, and he laughed. “You do have some fight in you.”

“Just because I don't like to fight doesn't mean I won't. Seen enough to last me the rest of my life, but I'm done.” I stood. Maybe it was something about Dylan. Something about the alphas making me feel so welcome. Right then I felt braver than I had in a long time. “I'm done running away. Running for help...I'll do that. I'm not stupid.” He laughed and stood up too. “And you're too durned tall. What is it with you alpha types? Just...corn fed and huge.”

“Yeah, well, from what Grandpa says about Solaris, I will never be an Alpha.” We started walking back. “I'm too aggressive. Solaris leaders can't feel like ripping off people's head for being dicks more than once a day. You laugh, but it's true. I know Dad said something about me...and my past.” I nodded. “I don't trust people easily. You should know that by now.” I did. From our first meeting he hadn't trusted me, but then I was not the type to trust either. “I'll be honest, I've had to fight the urge to question you about this Amos guy. To know how he thinks, to find out what makes you tick. I'm doing it for my dads because they asked me not to pry. It's hard because I don't want another knife plunging towards my chest.” It hadn't been a lie either. I could see the haunting thoughts behind his eyes. “So I'm trying here, Quint.”

“Wait...Alphas aren't born? And why do you want to know about me?” We started walking back slowly.

“Most are, but Dad became an Alpha. All of his experiences when newly born, having to deal with Angus and all the stuff with me, he became something more. He wanted more than anything to protect me and to help the Lunais and I guess he was just made to do it. I don't know how it happens, only that it does. You would have to ask Grandpa or Papa Travis about it.

“As for you, well...you're only a few minutes away from where I live and you've got someone following you. You also look like you need a friend. You don't want one, but you need one, and I would like to see if I can't get you wanting friends.”

“Yeah...well...you got me there. I'm no longer the social type.”

“I could tell, Quint. Just...smile and make nice and you may find our Pack a good fit for you. And be sure to ask the Alphas about it, if you're curious.”

I wouldn't, it would be a bother, but it was something to think about. Was Amos an Alpha? He was an alpha dick, that was for sure. I doubt he was, but if Alphas could be...forged, he might be one. We walked back to the barbecue and I grabbed a soda from the cooler, feeling a bit easier now with all the noise and scents as it made me feel safer. I could hide among them and Amos would never find me, or if he did, I would be surrounded by people who would keep him from taking me.

“Hey, Quint, over here!” I looked over at Dylan who towered over everyone else, and waded through the crowd. He stood next to two people. One was a stunning young lady I could smell was a Lunais. She was a ginger blonde with a killer figure and the way she stood, she could probably kill me easily but would rather tickle me to death.

The other was a man with blonde hair that had some odd coloration. I knew what becoming Lycan could do to your looks, but he...he was handsome with his grayish blond hair and slightly pouty lips. I knew he was as young or younger than Dylan by the way he held himself. A bit unsure and wanting to look more impressive than he felt. His eyes were kind of wide spaced, but it was not unattractive.

“Hey, Quint. This is Colton Matthews, one of the other hunters for the pack. Just relocated over from Toledo, Ohio a few months back.”

“Nice to meet you,” he said and offered his hand. I shook it. “Welcome home.” I smiled. His scent was pleasing and honest.

“And this...this is Heather.” Even the tone of his voice said he was in love with her. His scent went through the roof and I had no doubt that she knew exactly how he felt.

“Hi. Has Dyl really been stalking you?” We all laughed at how red he turned.

“Not so much any more.” So this was the special girl he wanted advice about. “He's still creepy though.”

“Has been since I met him.”

There was a bell sounding somewhere nearby and I saw Jon was ringing a triangle, one use to call folks in for chow. It got everyone's attention. “Okay. So, everyone is here who said they would be here. I could offer a huge speech, but I won't.” Dylan clapped me on the shoulder and led Heather up to the front. “You all know the little dude.” Which of course was the worst nickname for someone that huge. “After a lot of ceremony, and believe me I'm not exaggerating, Dylan has finally proposed to Heather.” There was a huge uproar and applause from the crowd, but part of me fell. It was a small part, but it fell hard. “The actual wedding is going to be held in a few months. We're just hoping the drugs won't wear off and she realizes she's marrying him.”

“Dad! You're not supposed to tell her.”

There were more words, but I tuned them out. I just made my way to the side while trying to seem like I wasn't. I knew I never stood a chance and I'm glad the situation was taken out of my hands altogether. Still, he was the first guy I had ever found attractive enough to even think about anything.

“Long day?”

I looked up at Colton and nodded. “I'm still not use to all of this.”

“Me either. I was not prepared for how much I would be taking on when I accepted the job as hunter. This isn't Ohio.” I nodded. “Still, the guys are a great bunch to work with and Jon is the best Alpha I've served. Just don't tell him I said that last part.”

“I won't. How many have you known?”

“Three. I was part of the East Coast Pack growing up. Dad was a Hunter under Mr. Andrews and I was going through training when the split happened. Mr. McLeod is not a nice man to serve and since I'm not Canis Lupus, I was not well received.” My brow furrowed. I could smell he was a canine, but never having smelled too many, I wasn't able to tell what he was. “I'm Latran Lunais, a werecoyote. That and being Lunais...I had to leave. I'm glad that Jon accepted me.”

“I'm finding out a lot more about...our race than I ever thought possible.”

“Why pause? I'm just being curious.” I started talking and he listened. It was a quiet talk within the loud din of the betrothal party and somehow I ended up crying on his shoulder. It didn't mean to, I just couldn't help it. Yet Colton just held me and made sure I was going to be okay.

“And now your shoulder is wet. I'm sorry to unload.”

“It's cool, Quint. You can always come to me with a problem. You may not be pack yet, if ever, but that doesn't stop us from becoming friends.” I grinned. “And besides, you're kinda cute when you've got snot running down your face.” He took off like a shot and I chased after him, threatening dire consequences when I caught him. Which didn't happen because he got lost easily in the crowd and I could not filter out his scent from the rest. I was a bit glad he got away. I didn't want him to see the small smile on my face.

“Kinda cute?” I whispered to myself. Part of me liked that...the rest wondered if Dylan hadn't just found someone to be nice to me so he didn't have to. “That sounds like Amos talking,” I chided and stamped that thought down. It wasn't Dylan's way to do that. I at least knew that much about him. Maybe...maybe Colton does think I'm cute, I said, but then I felt a huge wash of reality. I wasn't cute, I wasn't some catch. I was a freak among people who had accepted their own beast. Looking around I saw that no one was looking at me, so I hopped in the car and drove home. I was in no mood to party anymore.

When I got there, I saw the cops were parked outside the house. I pulled up and jumped out of the car and ran. “Mama!” I called out and bolted through the door and past some sheriffs. I saw her on the sofa with a cup of tea in her hands. “Mama, are you okay?” I ran to her side.

“Quintin, I did just as you said I should. That man came here looking for you, and I called the cops.” I sat down hard. Son of a bitch!

“Did he hurt you, Mama?”

“No. Scared me, but he didn't hurt me.” Letting out a sigh I turned to the nearest officer and told him to garb something to write with because I was going to tell them everything they needed to know about him to put a bullet through his head. I didn't care about him living now. He had scared my Mama. The gloves were off.

After taking my statement and my accounts, they said they would be coming around to check on us once a day for a week. If anything else happened we were to call them. Yeah right. I was going to call someone who could do something about him. It was getting dark and I knew one thing. If he came here tonight he would find one pissed off lynx waiting to tear out his throat. Once they were gone, Mama came running over and hugged me.

“Oh, honey, he was so mean to me. With your father out of town for the weekend, I just don't know what to do.”

I had forgotten he was going to be out of town. I made one decision I almost regret to this day. “Mama, sit back down. I...need to tell you everything.” She sat, looking more worried than before. “That thing that Amos gave me...it's not like HIV or AIDS.” Her hand started to shake. “It's better and worse at the same time. It won't kill me or anything, but it is contagious, which is why I said to leave me be if I bleed.”

“Honey...you can tell me. I'm scared enough that it won't shock me now.”

“Then...the thing is...I'm a Lycan.” She looked blank. “A werebeast.”

“You're a werewolf?”

“Not a wolf. Lynx.” She almost laughed outright. “I'm serious, Mama, dead serious. He is too. I need you to know because night after tomorrow is the full moon and I will get hairy no matter what I do. He may be back and he's a lot bigger than I am.”

“Quintin James Marshall, you best not be lying to me.”

“Mama, I have never been more honest with you than I am now. I could change right here, right now, but it would scare you something fierce.”

I saw the look on her face right before she said it. “Then change. I won't believe you until I see it. You know I'm from Missouri.” I stood and looked at her one time. “Get on with it. I don't want to think you're a liar, Quintin.” So I changed. I stripped off my clothes right in front of my own mother, watching her protest, and then I felt myself start to get heavier. The fur grew out as I was panting, still wishing this never had to happen again. I fell over on my side, smelling the fear from my mother and it was making me apprehensive, but I was already turning and couldn't go back now. When it was done I lay there a moment and wished I didn't have to let her know this. I wish Amos had stayed gone so I could just make some excuse to leave for the night of the full moon. When I did look over at here Mama was slack jawed. “Heavenly Father, what did that monster to to you, baby?” I looked at her like it was silly to even ask me to answer. One thing about changing outside of the moon, I kept more of my mind. “Do...do you still understand me?” I nodded. “Good Heavens! And he turns into this?” Again I nodded. “I'm not going to call the sheriff. I'm going to call animal control if he shows up.” I couldn't help but laugh, which came out more of a purr than anything else. “Your father will not like this at all.”

I knew that. I knew it very well. Waiting a few minutes, I changed back and got dressed. “There is more. A lot. There are hundreds of Lycans around here, which is how I got a job so fast. The company's owner is a Lycan and the pack Alpha.”

“Is he a lynx too?”

“He's a wolf. Good man. If it comes down to it, I am going to take you to him and he will assign people to protect you from Amos.”

“You can't?”

“No. Mama, I'll tell you he scares the crap out of me and on top of that, he's bigger. If you don't like the idea of going to stay with Lycans around here, I know of one place you can go and they would fight for you with every ounce of power they had.” I told her of the Whitebears. I knew I didn't even have to ask, Bridget and Jessup would open their house to Mama in a second.

“Is that who you talk to every night?”

“Yeah. Zeke got me smiling and got me some peace back. Good folks. Bigger hearts than the rest of them, and they're polar bears.” She smiled.

“Sounds like it. I...this will be a big shock to your father when he finds out. Honey...I know it must be hard to hear this but you may want to find some place else to live.” It hurt but I knew she was right. “Your father...and then that monster coming around.”

“I know, Mama. I've thought about it and tonight, with him showing up, it is time that I did get out of the house. You might be safer then.” But I didn't believe it. Amos would use them as leverage and bait to get to me. “I'll start looking around for a place. Might not be close, but I'll find something. For now, I'm gonna call Zeke and you can talk to Brigid. If you can, and if you think it best, you can get out of town until after the full moon.” She nodded, still a bit shaken.

I dialed the Wolf instead of Zeke directly. “Lone Wolf, this is Zeke.”

“Hey kiddo.”

“Quint! Hey, why call the house and not me?”

“Actually, I wanted to talk to your mom for a bit. Let her talk to mine as Amos showed up here and scared her a bit.”

“MOM! We're going to Montana tomorrow. Quint told his mama and that shit stain went by their house.” It was loud enough that even Mama could hear it and she smiled.

After a moment the phone was transferred. “Quint, how are you? How's your mom holding up?”

“You can ask her yourself. I just told her about me and what Amos did.” I handed the phone over to her and went to my room to grab my cell phone. It was new to me and a gift from Jon. “Just in case,” he said and wouldn't take no for an answer. I called Zeke.

“So, you want us to come out there? Dad is thinking about it.”

“Nope. I was hoping I could send Mama there. Let the moms talk it out and see what's best, but I don't want Amos anywhere near her again. If he comes over I'll tear out his fucking throat.”

“So it's kill on sight now? And FYI that was the sexiest thing I have ever heard you say. All stern and stuff...hot.” I laughed and rolled over on my bed. “So...wanna talk about the day?”

“Actually...no. It's been stressful, but I just want to talk to you about anything other than Amos. So...you like it when I talk sternly?”

“Oh god yes. I have a bit of a thing for dominant males.”

“A bit? Sounds like more than a bit. Tell me what you did when you saw that picture of me.”

“You don't want to hear...”

“I said tell me.” I heard him shudder. I could play this game for him.

“God...I woke up and went into the bathroom and jacked off to it. Twice. Each day you've been gone.” God, really? Had I made that much of an impression on him? “I would do more...if I had more pics.”

I laughed as I could hear the smile in his voice. “If you're a good soldier, I might email you something.”

“Yes sir!” Did he just mock salute like I could see in my head? If so it was so adorable. I spent the rest of the evening teasing with Zeke. It was nice to know I could be this person again, at least with him. Made me wonder why I left. Made me wonder when I would be going back.

Morning came and with I could hear a lot of activity down stairs. I pulled on some pants and went down to see Jon and Dylan were in my house and Mama was grabbing some last minute things. “Um...Mama, I guess you met Jon and Dylan.”

“Yes. Wonderfully polite men. They're taking me to the airport to fly to the Whitebears' house for a week.” So Brigid had been able to convince her that it was safer. It was a lot safer.

“You're going along on the flight,” Jon said and I almost heard a command in his tone. “Jessup said he and Zeke would be there to pick her up. Thought you might want to see them again.” A good reason, but there was still that tone that said I would be going to fly there for some reason. This did not bode well.

“I'll shower then. When do we leave?”

“We leave the house in twenty minutes.”

“Yes, Alpha,” I said and bounded up the stairs. I realized what I had said, but when I glanced back he was calmly toting a bag out to his truck. Good enough.

Once we landed I could see Zeke there looking a bit stern, but Jessup was just looking like he was there to pick up a long lost friend. Dylan went off first, followed by Mama and Jon and then me. When Zeke saw me, his facade melted and he waved a huge paw at me. “QUINT! They didn't tell me you were coming.” He ran up and pulled me into a massive bear hug...har har har. When he did I almost melted. It felt so good to be back with him, to know that I would always find shelter in these massive arms.

“I missed you too, Zeke. Mama, this is Jessup Whitebear and his son Zeke.”

“A pleasure to meet you, ma'am. Quint has had nothing but kind words to say about you and by how anxious he was to get home, I know you'll like it at the house. Brigid is making peach cobbler and it should be done by the time we get there.” He grabbed all of her bags with no effort. “I know it ain't much time, but we gotta get going, Zeke.”

He groaned and went to put me down, but I stopped him when I gave him a kiss. His arms just stopped and then pulled me in closer. Mama just gawked and it lasted until Jess wuffed at him. Zeke let me go with the biggest grin on his face. “Yeah, you need to come back more often. Phones are great...”

“Come back with us,” said Jon. “You can see Montana, get out of the house for a bit, get to spend time with Quint, and hopefully help us catch that asshat as you have his scent in your memory better than anyone save Quint.” Zeke looked back at Jessup with the most hopeful look. He was silently begging him to let him go.

“Don't eat them out of house and home,” was all he said and Zeke whooped it up like he was getting paroled or something. “You take good care of my boy else you'll have to face his mama.”

“We won't get him killed,” said Dylan. “I got some stuff that should fit you.”

I went over to Mama. “You're safe now. There are a lot more friends around down here with big guns to kill that thing should he show up. That's the new order of business. Kill on sight,” I said to Jess and Jon. They nodded. “No one scares my Mama but me.” She looked worried but still she laughed a bit. “We'll see you in a week.”

“You take care, baby. Don't be brave, run for help. And keep that boy close to you. If he drove that animal off last time, looks at you like you hung the moon, and blushes like that from just a kiss, he's yours for life.” It was my turn to blush and the sideways glance I sent Zeke said he was clearly not going to refute her claims. Mama looked Zeke up and down. “Yes. This is the type of man for you, baby. Respectful, happy, big enough to make you feel safe when you need it and a good head on his shoulders to know when to let you be. That's the last I'm going to say on it.” Jessup nodded like he agreed with everything Mama said. They hopped in the truck and were gone.

“Lets get going. I'm technically only supposed to come to the fringes for an hour and that is nearly up.” We loaded onto the plane and Zeke whistled low when he saw the interior. “Semi-formal intros. I'm Jon Davenport, Alpha for the Homestead Pack. Just call me Jon. That is Dylan, my son and the pack's enforcer.”

We sat and prepped for takeoff. “Nice to meet you. Quint has said a lot of nice things about you guys. I don't see the creepy part though.” The rest of us laughed. It was going to be a very interesting week. Alone...with Zeke.

Copyright © 2015 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 73
  • Love 19
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I could say a lot but in the end it all comes down to this:

"Sleep less, write more and publish faster", also translates as: "Keep your readers happy!"

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So, spinning us left and right with Zeke and Quint: are they mates or aren't they??? At least their friendship is going strong, and I love the way that Quint's mama and the Whitebears connected right away. Amos has some more nasty tricks up his sleeve (or somewhere), I suspect, but at least Quint found some stability, friendship, and maybe even love before everything hits the fan with Amos.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Guest Jaleenice25

Posted

I absolutely love, love, love this story. The best part, I think is that there is a hint of a backstory, but it keeps moving forward and the reader is not dragged down with mundane facts. You provide just enough information to keep the story riveting. I sat forward in my chair for all 3 chapters, need more now. :P

Link to comment
On 08/10/2014 01:46 AM, Jaleenice25 said:
I absolutely love, love, love this story. The best part, I think is that there is a hint of a backstory, but it keeps moving forward and the reader is not dragged down with mundane facts. You provide just enough information to keep the story riveting. I sat forward in my chair for all 3 chapters, need more now. :P
I do my best to tell some back story, but I hate when it feels like nothing BUT what has already been told. Also, this next chapter has been delayed due to weddings and not having internet out in the middle of nowhere. I hope to get it posted soon
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Trying to be patient for the next chapter, but I am feeling so drawn to these people! I'm really enjoying the way you gently weave the back story in. I appreciate not being hit over the head with it.

I think I'll go re-read the first 3 chapters.......

Have a great Saturday!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Way to throw us for a loop. I had it figured that Dylan was the guy for Quint...now it looks like Zeke is back in the forefront...but what about those electrical surges from Dylan? You sure have my interest. I love the feeling of family in this story..it is very feel good...cheers...Gary

  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Despite the strong reaction between them, it looks as though Dylan is already claimed by the other team. It's good that Zeke is willing and able to step in. He's a nice guy. Finally the gloves are off to deal with Amos. You don't threaten mamas and get away with it.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Exciting chapter; have to wonder why Amos just won't leave Quinton alone?  Is he just that much of an ass or is it that he turned him?  Questions. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It has been long enough ago that I first read this story that I have forgotten most of the details. I remember the characters, and I fell in love with them all over again! Thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Amos step over the line and now is on death row.  I hope nothing delays the sentence when they find him.  Mom going to stay with the Whitebear family give me hope that Quint's mom will see what a real family is about.  Maybe she will also seek her freedom from her abusive husband as a result.  Dylan gets engaged, but he and Quint are still shocking each other.  What's with that?  Quint and Zeke make a great couple, and I hope that they will be the romance in this story.  At least they have a while to spend together by themselves to explore and get to know each other. Love this story.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..