Jump to content
    Fantasyboy69
  • Author
  • 11,782 Words
  • 2,989 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Bard and the Prince - 12. Chapter 12

The journey to Morath was uneventful save that Parker was absolutely engrossed in his lessons when they stopped for the evening and morning rests. Sword work was by far his favorite and his best. He was still very young, but he was getting to be a challenge for Robin if he did not pay attention. The sword seemed to come naturally to him. Like an extension of his will the practice blades danced in his young hands. He could shift the blade so quickly and subtly that even Shelby was amazed at the angle in which the parried blade went, always being just where he needed it to be for a very devastating counter attack. His only real problem was the footwork involved. Still young and not a master of his body, he could not quite get his feet to go exactly where he wanted them too and that was sometimes the only saving grace Robin had.

When it was not weapons it was History and Languages with Hunter, backed by the holy writ and whatever tomes the boy decided were fun. One day it was cooking, the next sewing, and that impressionable, young and astute mind of his soaked up every scrap so that Lexi had to stop him from speaking in whatever language he had learned that day. Sometimes he would even switch languages in the middle of a sentence just to see if Robin or Lexi were honestly paying attention. It was fun for him, and a source of pride for Hunter, that the boy was so quick.

Then there was magic with Winter Heart and that entailed runes, the languages of magic, how to build and construct a spell from scratch and how to defeat and counter a spell cast at him. These lessons were attended also by Robin and Lexi as they had need to know this too. “There is no easy way to counter every spell, since wizards are always coming up with new ones. You can counter the effects in general, like stopping yourself from burning.” That would stop a lot of the damage from a fireball, an incineration, and other fire spells. “It takes years to be able to think of every spell needed to counter every spell effect possible. Lexi, cast a spell at me. Anything.” Lexi was in cat o' nine form and sat with his tails swishing in Robin's lap. One tail twitched more than the rest and a weak bolt of lightning, not much more than static, arced out but met with a small, thin shield of energy. Parker clapped, suitably impressed. “Nothing to that spell, it would stop something minor like I knew Lexi would use. Also, Lexi, you have a strong tendency to use electricity spells. Try to vary your repertoire.” The prince nodded. He did not have much more in the way off offensive magics, at least as a human. “Knowing your enemy is paramount...” Winter Heart was cut off by a tangled root that sprung up to try and wrap around his body, but the griffin just waved a claw and the root eased back into the ground. Lexi hissed good naturedly. “Nice, but your tails give away which magic you are using.” So they practiced for a few hours every night while Shelby and Hunter took their rest.

Parker had taken to reading one book in particular while they flew. It was far more advanced than he was able to cast then, maybe more so than Lexi could cast dependably, but he was memorizing it from the first page to the last. It was the part of what Trav had left him in that chest. That and a strange black pearl the size of a goose egg, perfectly round, and hanging from a long chain of the black metal adamantite. What their purpose was not even able to be divined as if anyone else touched them they gave a huge jolt and the person dropped them. So he did his best to puzzle out the foreign language by phonetics as he could tell it was a book that contained some sort of magic that only he was supposed to use.

Why me, he thought, I'm no wizard. Yet he was seeming to be heading there. Like everything else he did he went at it with his whole being and he was far better at it than he could ever imagine. Nothing compared to Lexi or Robin, but he could quite easily boil water with a gesture and light a campfire with one so similar that he at first could not see the minor difference. Once he saw it he saw why he could not do half the cantrips that Winter was teaching all of them. He had not seen those fine nuances that Lexi had learned years ago and Robin picked up with seeming ease.

They had flown over the forest in eight days with their need for multiple rest times and it was finally sinking in that they could either be soon free of this curse or it would endure. Maybe they would die, this wizard was one of the strongest Trav had said, capable of casting spells stronger than his own. Not a man to trifle with for any reason. They had no real plan of attack, they knew nothing of the wizard's habits or even where he was exactly as no divination spell could pinpoint his tower. Robin was rehearsing every song he knew in his head and even consulted the books he had so he could get the biggest sonomagi repertoire he could for this one because it might turn ugly.

Their last moments in the forest were eerie. Something here felt...expectant. Like the entire woods had taken a deep breath and held it for this one event. There were no bird songs, no insect chirps, no small animals scurrying from branch to branch. Even the wind had died down to nothing as if all of nature wanted to witness their arrival to the fell swamps of Morath, to see their scant hopes of ever traversing this lifeless fen dashed against the rocks like a tossed ship. It was close to sundown when they crested the ridge were the forest abruptly ended and all six fell back as the stench of rot and decay struck their nose. Even Parker gagged and nearly vomited the light supper they had and his nose was nowhere near as sensitive as the others.

“Gods above it smells worse than Captain Darel's dirty underclothes,” exclaimed the lad with his nose pinched. Had this not been so daunting they would have laughed at the sour look on his face. When it was bearable they went back up to the top of the ridge and stared out at the landscape. All hope seemed to shatter. There was no solid ground for them to walk on and no wind for them to sail over this soggy place. Dead husks of trees stuck out of the bogs like skeletal remains of the forest that must have stood here, silent testimonials to the ravages of this gods forsaken land. The water was a murky brown that hid even the depth of it. What threats lurked 'neath its covering gloom? “And we have to cross that?”

Robin nodded silently. This would be no pleasure trip.

Hunter shifted to drake form and sniffed. I smell the decay of the undead. That was not a thought they wanted in their heads. The undead felt no pain, they had no remorse for pleas of mercy. This just became much more of a horror story. If you wish to keep them at bay we should wait for sunrise where Lexi's aura will protect us far better than my magic. That was not a wait the could afford, not this close. Hunter must have sensed their thoughts for he sighed. Very well. I will do my best, although my faith has diminished somewhat with this trial. Not good to hear a priests faith was slipping.

“Take some time to commune with your God. Seeks his guidance and help. We need to change anyway and it is time for our rest.” Robin's suggestion seemed to bolster the drake and he nodded. Robin pulled the holy writ out and handed it over. “Or we could use a sermon and blessings for the ordeal ahead.” The grin that spread across his features was a ray of sunlight. He nodded and gently flipped open the writ.

This was the first time he would give them a sermon, and actual reading from the writ for purposes other than teaching. He flipped to a specific section. Obviously he had been waiting for this time for he was prepared. Robin, could you turn to page seventy-one in your hymnal and play for us? I hope more than he and I know this song. Robin smiled and pulled out the other book and his lute from the trunk and tuned it. Lexi looked over his shoulder and began to play the melody through his horn, the flute like notes lilting to rise above the gloom to dispel some of the malignant presence. Parker's eyes drifted shut as the song swept him away from the now into a place that no evil spirits or night elves could get him, a serene smile turning his features to a peaceful bliss.

The change happened in the middle of the third song and about half way through the sermon, but it was so swift now that Lexi just took up Robin's lute after a second's pause and picked up where they left off, Robin dropping even lower to pick up the harmonies the prince had been fluting. It was a different song after that, one more of power than grace for Lexi was not the lute player Robin was and Robin could not have such delicate notes Lexi could produce through his horn. Yet it seemed to still be the same song to Parker...until the swamp began to crash down on them. Groans could be heard from all around and the slurp of sludge let it be known that somethings were coming here. I am ready now, my friends. Mayhap a little fire might be in order, hmm? That phrasing made them wonder until the first zombie trudged into view. Half of its face was there and gaunt looking, the other half was rotting away and when he opened his mouth to groan maggots could be seen feasting within. Winter Heart made a simple gesture and the zombie burst into flames.

“They are solid and flammable Parker.” The boy was frozen in fear, shaking like a leaf. He remembered too well the fear of the undead. “Dammit! Shelby, guard him while we take care of this. I don't doubt you'll have your fair share of targets.” The golden turtler nodded and his shell began to glow.

No one here, and few elsewhere, had ever seen a turtler use their innate power. Red ones spat fireballs, Blue ones could sprout wings, yellow ones could cause small quakes around them and the gold.... They watched as that glow was flung around Parker as a bubble of light. Its scintillation brightened the night and showed there were hundreds of zombies and skeletons that had come up while they were having their sermon. They had stayed clear of the aura surrounding the unicorn but closed in when it was gone.

Had Hunter known? Probably and he was using the time to regain his faith, build their morale...and fill the night with song. Two of the four spellcasters were set for this, faith and music having built up their powers. The other two were arcane spellcasters and needed no such foundation. Hunter folded his hands in prayer and muttered under his breath in a language Robin did not know. A pale light surrounded the priestly drake and then the same glow was taken up by the group as his spell took effect. Then he began another one.

Lexi laid the lute in its case before standing. He had dealt with zombies a few times in his travels. Not this many, but he knew they were slow and he could take the time to at least put the instrument away. Then he stood and cast his wall of fire at their backs. It would not stop them from getting through, but it would make them burst into flames when they passed through. His next spell made a pair of flame wrought blades appear in his hands and he went to do battle. Fire was not his best offense, he liked electricity better, but he had a few spells that would do. He waded into the throng slashing and slicing as he went. It would not kill them outright, but hack up a zombie enough and it was no longer a threat until it was burned. Nothing really got close to him, he would duck out of the way or spin away only to use that spin as a weapon, his blades corkscrewing as he went. Few had the balance to do this feat, but Nathan had drilled him from the moment their arms master said he was good enough to learn it...and Lexi had gotten it down in two weeks. Gore flew off in sizzling arcs of flesh that splattered every which way.

Robin simply turned his head and shot out a gout of flame that made another wall of flames, this one hotter than Lexi's and would incinerate those who went through yet leave what little vegetation unharmed. With that done he slashed out with his claws while he began to sing. The undead could not appreciate what a fine voice he had, could not tell he was naturally gifted and had trained for almost a decade to improve his raw talent, but they could tell after four of those nearest burst into flames that he was someone they had to eliminate fast. I THOUGHT ZOMBIES WERE BRAINLESS, he commented.

“They are. Unless they are being actively directed.” So someone, and it did not take a sage to know who, was making them think tactically. Robin could not get off the ground to avoid them and while he was doing his best with his claws and breath, they were still coming.

Winter Heart shook his head and raised his claw. A few quick words summoned dozens of fireballs, smaller than most, but the swarm spell used the same amount of energy for multiple targets. When they hit the explosions were deafening and if they did not destroy the skeletons outright then the concussion knocked them over or slammed them hard enough to break them apart. “I will see what I can do about the control of the zombies.” Hunter moved over mid prayer and stood next to him, his own aura of divinity potent if not all that large. No undead would get too close now. Winter's eyes slammed shut as he sent out his mind to find the one who was controlling them.

Shelby was mostly useless right now. He knew he had to maintain concentration on the spell surrounding Parker, but he did not know how much. He had never had to use it before in his brief time as a turtler. “Go do something, Shelby,” urged Parker. The turtler just looked at him with eyes that said he would not leave him. “I can take care of myself, you know.” Again the turtler just gave him a look. Parker crossed his arms in a pout and stomped his foot. “I can,” he muttered sullenly. He could not just stand there while everyone fought off the undead. What can I do though, he asked himself. He was stuck in the shield. He could not get out to use his sword and all the spells he knew were too small to do much help and they were all close range cantrips. What good was being able to start a campfire within a few paces when the battle was still outside his range? Parker felt useless, unable to do anything but just stand there.

A few zombies had turned to dust when they came to close to Hunter and Winter Heart, but then they seemed to grow smarts and began to pick up rocks and throw them at the pair of most devastating mages. Their aim was poor, but the missiles they hurled were easily a hundred pounds and any one of them could kill. They whistled a low thrum as they rocketed through the air and landed with a huge, deafening thud when they hit the squishy ground, two slamming into the barrier that surrounded Parker and Shelby and turning into the finest powder. When each boulder hit the turtler felt his skull throb with a flash of red pain and he was driven to the flat of his shell. The barrier wavered and shattered like spun glass. Parker centered himself like they taught him and flung out his hand. “Pyronium!” He cried and the nearest zombie's chest sparked into flame but that would not be enough, yet he knew no other spells that would work...all except one. One spell he had been studying so intently that he could see the words in front of him like they were projected there by an illusionist. “Iblan nure' ...intrins nure'...mar'ar'oh nure're',” he whispered and the world went black as he felt his energy being sucked out to cast a spell he now realized was too advanced to cast. He would die because he had been too eager to help his friends.

Hunter heard the incantation and could not decipher the language past that he knew it was a spell for arcane magic. He finished his prayer and Lexi's blade went from fire red to blinding white, the dragon's claws shining with a similar light. Feeling good he had been able to get that difficult spell done, he did not see the boulder hurling for him and it struck him in his armored chest, driving the air from his lungs and dropping him to the turf. Winter was completely unprotected while he searched for the mind that was controlling the undead and unaware that he stood over his fallen friend. The dragon saw the drake fall and moved to stand over the prostrate priest to use his heavy body to keep the rocks from crushing them. Three zombies had banded together to get a massive boulder off the ground to throw and Robin knew that the missile would strike true, yet his body might cushion the fall enough to allow the mages to live. He chanted a swift song and a net of music notes strung itself above them from the adjacent trees. It would not stop it, but it may slow it even more. He closed his eyes and prayed...

Lexi could not see what was going on as he was too busy hacking the zombies apart and keeping the few skeletons off his back. Skeletons were harder to kill than zombies. They could not be hacked to pieces and could not be burned. One needed a blunt weapon, a hammer or club, to smash a skeleton apart, but he did not have one. And these skeletons had weapons and a cunning the zombies did not even if they were actively controlled. They worked as a more cohesive group than the rest and Lexi was hard pressed to keep their insidious blades from scoring hits on his unprotected flesh. He had each blade working independently of each other, a tactic he was not so proficient with unless each opponent was in front of him, yet he was having to parry blows he could not see and somehow he was able to do it. He thought too soon as he felt a slice across his ribs. Not bad, but enough to put him back onto his toes and try and avoid fighting the skeletons all together until he had dealt with the zombies.

Two of the skeletons exploded as a radiant heat source zipped over his shoulder and slammed into them only to rebound and head back towards Lexi. He ducked as it passed perilously close to where his head had been. “Watch the spells, Winter!” He looked back to see Robin standing over the priest and beside the mage whose eyes were closed in a searching trance. He could not have cast that spell. Two more skeletons were broken to pieces as that almost invisible force ricocheted around and seemed to making a pattern just where Lexi had been standing, freeing him to get out from under the over burying forces. Then it flew over to some place above Robin and Lexi saw the gigantic boulder that would crush his Charrinda. He could not cast a spell fast enough, yet as that force hit the boulder the rock was knocked off course and slammed into a tree. The force fell momentarily to the swampy ground and Lexi gasped as he recognized a demon! A demon was helping them? It had bat wings, a wickedly barbed tail like a scorpion, little claws at the end of abnormally long limbs, a squished face like a wrinkled old man, a furry face and torso, a black flame for hair on its head. Then it shook off the blow it had dealt itself to save Robin from the missile and went back to work on the skeletons. Taking his clue Lexi got up and went back to work on the zombies.

Robin looked up when he heard the loud thwap of something hitting the boulder hard enough to move its course. His prayers had been answered but not how he expected. He saw the demon and saw it shake its head to clear the cobwebs of the hit and then it looked at him with a sinister but familiar gleam. The dragons eyes widened as he saw it wink and then fly off to go take on the skeletons like a flaming ball of shadows, cackling like an insane child. Robin left the net in place since it would stop smaller boulders and went to go claw and flame those zombies that Lexi could not get to.

The zombies and skeletons fell to the fighters by the time Winter came back from his search, the demon having vanished somewhere in the night. He looked around at the carnage and nodded. “Guess I was needed.” Lexi, who was tending to the fallen priest and Shelby looked at him like that was obvious. “Where is Parker?”

RIGHT HERE said Robin as he scooped him up. The boy was alive, but only just. I THINK HE TRIED TO CAST A SPELL THAT WAS BEYOND HIM YET. I DON'T KNOW THOUGH. Winter came over and looked him over for injury. There was a nice cut on his forehead and it would leave a nasty bruise for a few weeks, but Robin was right. His meager energy supply was depleted and he would have an even worse headache when he woke up, trembling limbs, and maybe even the flashes before his eyes for a few days. By the way Robin had found the boy he had sprawled over Shelby in an attempt to protect him from the rocks that obviously knocked the boy out. BRAVE LITTLE IMP. Robin looked up in shock. THERE WAS A DEMON HERE. I SAW IT AND IT HELPED US. He was very confused as to why a demon would help them. He knew more about Caametu since Parker had mentioned them and knew this was not one of the nicer demonic hosts.

“I saw it too. It, or rather he I think, if demons have genders, took out the skeletons and that huge boulder. Why would it help us?” He moved over to Robin and took the unconscious boy from his gentle embrace and set him down in the grass to start healing him at least until Hunter was well enough to take over.

Winter looked at the boy. “Mayhap he summoned it. That would knock him out if any spell would and would explain why a demon was here to protect us.” It sounded as good as any theory. “Either way he should be fine in a few days, but we do not have that time. The sender of the undead is the same mage we seek. He knows that we are here and why. I could get that much before he kicked me out of his head.”

“Is he the one who cast the spell?” asked the prince. If he was then he would also pay for this attack on them. If not then Lexi would seek no retaliation against him since they were the initial aggressors.

“I could not find out before he sensed me. He knows of the spell...I think, but I cannot tell whether he was the caster.” And that irked the griffin. He was a strong mage, he knew that, and he should have been able to stay in the man's mind long enough to determine that he had cast the spell, yet he had been rejected like some third rate apprentice. It ate at his pride that he had been so easily thrown out.

“Then we continue on as planned. Are you strong enough to keep watch, Robin? We should not move them until morning at least.” He nodded and began to sing little ditties here and there around their camp, small wards flaring to life. Lexi set out his sleeping roll and Winter did the same for Parker's. They were not in the mood for conversation as they settled down for the remainder of the night, Winter resuming his mockingbird form to sleep. Robin curled up next to his beloved and took on his Salamandrian form to caress his cheek and kiss him goodnight. Then he stood and walked to the tree line and took to the air, his powerful wings taking him up above the swamps where he could see for leagues. Nothing stirred that he could see...nothing except the one thing he had hoped to avoid. It had been tickling at his senses since he had changed that evening and he had not known what it was until now.

She met him in the air and circled above him. You are far from your hunting grounds, Salamandrian. She was a beautiful specimen of her kind. Glossy black scales, perfectly curved horns, wickedly sharp claws.

“I am on a different type of hunt, and I do not wish to intrude on your breeding grounds, Lady of the Night.” One should always be polite to a dragon. You would live longer.

Yet you have. This hunt must be important enough to risk it. She was no dumb beast. She knew no Salamandrian was a match for a dragon especially in the air.

“I fly the fringe in hopes that I and my group may obtain permission to pass through to our goal, Magnificent one. We mean no harm to you or your clutches.” He was circling lazily since he could hover for only a short time, but he was ready with a spell should she prove hostile, and black dragons were known to be just that.

Group? The one that were beset by the undead? I saw no Salamandrian with them.

“I am the red, Midnight Mistress, although I am not by birth.” He told her briefly why they were here, briefly because he could not recite it all before sunrise.

The dragon female seemed to find it all funny, a grand joke. You are a wonderful story teller, Salamandrian, and for that I will leave you alive. Your friends must each do the same as you and ask for my permission. She winged back the way she had come and Robin glided back to his camp. It would be interesting to hear what tales they could come up with. Lexi would be great and most likely Winter, but Parker? The lad would be ill equipped to tell a tale to a dragon who would likely see him as a tasty little treat. He sailed back to the camp and landed soundlessly so to not wake them.

Robin sat next to Lexi who placed his hand on Robin's scaly thigh. “Good thinking love,” he whispered almost inaudibly. It was so quiet that Robin more felt it than heard it.

:I knew we would be flying or walking through her territory, knew she would challenge us. I'm not sure how I even knew she was there.: They were still learning all that they could do and feel, so this was not unheard of. Robin's forms may be all draconic, but they varied so much in their strengths and weaknesses that he would spend a bit of time learning each one's nuances. Not that Lexi was any better off, really, with a variety of forms, but his were more natural, more attuned to the world around than Robin's.

Lexi smiled and settled down for a rest although he was not really all that tired. He would be by morning when he had to keep the undead at bay if he did not rest. His eyes slid shut and he realized Robin was putting him to sleep with a song too low to be heard by human ears. Yet he could do nothing about it. :Sleep well, Charrinda,: Robin said and lightly kissed his brow.

Morning came all too quickly for them but it dawned with a very large surprise. Robin had been very busy it seemed. Around the camp lay dozens of smoldering heaps of ash and piles of bone where zombies and skeletons had been. Robin looked tired, his eyes drooping in the pre dawn light. Apparently Salamandrian did not have the eternal wakefulness of the dragons. “Why didn't you wake us?” Lexi asked as he stretched.

“You needed sleep, I can sleep on your back.” With that he collapsed knowing he would be fine with them awake to watch over him. When the sun peeked through the perpetual mist of the swamps at the horizon they changed without any stir from Robin.

Parker was somewhat lucid by the time the sun was saying it was mid morning. He gasped and clutched at his pounding skull like a thousand giants were having a dance contest within. Shelby and Hunter were there in a moment, Hunter applying the healing he could not while the boy was so close to slipping away. Now that he was conscious the priest could do more. Shelby took on his snapper form and gently pushed the hair out of his face. “You gave a us a scare, imp.”

“I'm not dead?” They shook their heads. “Wish I was. Gods above my head hurts somethin' fierce.” Hunter delved him for any other pains but found only the lack of energy. “Did...did we win?” That seemed more important to him than anything else past groaning.

For now. Robin's sleeping, Lexi and Winter are doing what they can to keep us from being detected again. Parker nodded minutely and closed his eyes. Hunter could tell he was struggling to keep from falling unconscious again and fed him a bit of energy. Not much, their life forces were too dissimilar, but it was enough to allow him to stay awake. As he did so, Hunter found some strange things about the boy, somethings that were not quite right.

First off he was far too healthy even for as good as a life as he had led. His heart was too strong, his lungs too perfect, his mind too keen. There was something to this boy, something more than anyone had seen so far else someone would have said something about him to anyone else. His eyes were better probably than Hunter's own! There have been some changes in the boy, perhaps his reading and practicing of magic, use of arms, and this “adventure” were changing what he was capable of. Hunter had noted that the boy was wearing that odd black pearl, an item of very powerful yet subtle magic. Could it be enhancing the boy to actually cast spells? The former priest had never heard of such a thing, but then he had never practiced arcane magics and had not studied anything remotely what the wizard named Travis was rumored to be capable of. Yet the boy was healthy, just very tired. All he needed was rest.

Hunter caught a whiff of something coming this way, something very large. He turned his gaze out to the swamp, Shelby following that piercing gaze with his own. Winter Heart was already preparing a spell of some sort, but Lexi seemed undaunted, even uninterested in the fact that a black dragon was swimming lazily towards them. Lexi? The unicorn looked at him and nodded as if she was expected. Okay, I trust you my friend. The drake stood up and walked to the edge of the precipice to greet her. I do hope that you come in peace, of Lady of Midnight.

That depends, drake, whether the Red has spoken true. Your party seeks not to harm me or my eggs? Her gaze penetrated into the drakes mind, searching for something, but she was thrown out like a stray cat. Hunter had very formidable mental defenses and more so against all dragon kind, it was part of being a shield drake.

He has, Queen of the Fen. Our mission has none to do with your august self for it comes from the Gods themselves. It did...somewhat. For Lexi and Robin to deal with the demons they needed to be whole and in their natural bodies and since this wizard that cast the spell on them is one of these powerful ones it stands to reason eliminating them, as much as he deplored the though of killing, would kill two birds with one stone.

Really? She so far had not acknowledged the other beings, preferring to speak with the only thing there close to a dragon. Never having encountered the mountain dwelling shield drake she was unable to fathom why she had been so easily beaten when she tried to probe its thoughts.

We have with us a pair of Charrinda that must be aided in their quest to halt the invasions of demonic forces into the realms. All of us save the child were once humans, changed by a wizardly spell into the forms you see before you. Our journey, oh Dread Lady, takes us through the swamps to the wizard to ascertain whether he is the one who altered an intrinsic nature spell into a curse. Hunter had not taken his gaze from her throughout that small speech to let her know he was not trying to dissemble in any way.

Close enough to what the Red said last night. That wizard may well be the one you seek. Naught have I anything to do with one who steals the eggs of dragons for his foul spells. I will spread what word I may to other dragons, though I have not heard from them in a long time.

Then known this. The last of the smokes has been slain as has a brooding white. The dragon's eyes narrowed dangerously. Think you I have the power to slay a white? I was a priest before all of this. I would never slay anything so grand as a white and I doubt that unless my god was with me could I ever endanger one such as yourself. It was true too. Priests were not known to be able to take on a dragon unless they were those that followed the Dragon Goddess. Something is using demons to slay your kind to upset the balance of nature. Treena is most upset, it felt odd for Hunter to say this for, though he believed in the beliefs of others, he personally could not say that Treena was upset. The unicorn is one of her followers if ever there was one. The unconscious man is the Red and a follower of Sonoh. They are not pleased in the least that the delicate balance of magic in nature is tilting.

The Dragon looked at the unicorn and at the sleeping man. Lexi raised his head from his feeding and gazed back easily but not aggressively like any other unicorn would do in the presence of a dragon. What say you, nag? Lexi began trilling notes at the dragon who nodded every now and then in serious contemplation until she heard something that did not sit well with her at all. Never had any of then though to actually see a dragon scared. Then I shall take my leave. If that wizard is indeed the one of whom you speak then I will call this day that I let you pass one of rejoicing. She spread her enormous wings and sailed off back in the direction from which she came.

Parker just gawked. “So that's a real dragon. Much scarier than Robin.” He tossed back the covers and tried to get to his feet. Shelby was by his side and trying to keep him there. “I don't have time to be laying about. We have work to do.” The death snapper looked about for help but the others merely shrugged. The boy would not take no for an answer and they would hardly use force to keep him in bed. “Get the baron strapped in and I'll tidy up the camp.” Lexi played a laughing trill. Parker was taking control of the day with Robin out of it and doing it without meaning to. Whatever had happened last night had changed the boy quite a bit. That or his entire life's training to run a household was asserting itself. All they could do was go along with him and they got the place in order very quickly.

Robin awoke near to dusk and looked around at the fell fen. He could see nothing of the ground they were on when he fell asleep and only the feeling of Lexi beneath him gave him any comfort at all. “How far to go?” he asked of the fog knowing that his friends were close by.

“Another hour or more, though not two. Are you okay, Robin?”

“Fine, Imp. Are you okay? You gave us quite a scare.”

“Right as swamp water.” Lexi chuckled a bit and let Robin sift through what they had seen that day. Nothing. Water, bogs, decaying trees and a few leeches large enough to feast on an elephant, but nothing of consequence. The dragoness had left them alone entirely and so had the trolls that she most likely controlled, which was unheard of since trolls were ever known to hunt these swamps with impunity. Not a one had been seen at all.

“Lovely traveling weather. I'm guessing we're to tackle this at night when I'm strongest?” Robin asked and Lexi trilled an agreeable note. Robin nodded and began looking inside himself for that node of energy he had always felt subconsciously. It pulsed with his heartbeat and seemed fit to bursting but he could not understand why. He had played himself out last night and had not known how to refill his own personal reserves at all. Winter Heart said it varied from type to type. Wizards had their memorized spells, sorcerers from within, druids from the energy around and clerics from above and through prayer. Where did sonomagi fit in? He seemed to be more like a sorcerer than anything else but how did he regain energy?

Yet here it was. And there it went. He was trying too hard to find that node that he had pushed it away. This did not bode well for the encounter later that he was so scattered now. And there was a gathering feeling of expectancy once again. It was eerie and Robin was not one for unexplained feelings that made the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end. Something was watching. Some creature was tracking their every movement even through the pea soup fog. Lexi felt it too, that gathering of attention to this very spot in the fen. Robin sniffed and only got the fetid stench of decay in his nostrils. He strained to hear anything but only got the noises that he and his companions made. Sight was useless and touch also and he did not want to taste what was out there. It was frustrating and more than a bit scary.

Robin just relaxed in the saddle and hummed to himself tunelessly. It was a nothing tune, something he did just to keep his voice active, yet somehow it fit the swampy area they were in and Lexi picked up on it, harmonizing even when there was nothing to harmonize with. The dense fog was slowly drifting among them yet not touching them in the slightest. When Robin saw what was happening he stopped and the fog came rushing back in to coat them in its velvety gray embrace. “Keep humming, Robin,” said Winter Heart. Robin resumed and once again the fog swirled and danced until they were in a place of calm and open swamps, where they could see more than two feet in front of them, where they could see they were surrounded on all sides by trolls. “Company.”

But the sight of the trolls was not what made Lexi halt. It was the looming tower ahead, fog pouring from the base of it in all directions, that made them all look up higher and higher until their necks were craned. This lone edifice was taller than anything they had seen yet. Only those things made by the gods were larger. Tall gray stone reached well into the low clouds and seemed more oppressive for the mosses and lichens that crawled and drooped from the tower. Skeletal trees and actual skeletons littered the medium sized isle that supported the base of the sky-reaching keep, deathly reminders of the reason they were here. A few cawing ravens leered at them, ready to swoop in when the trolls did, pecking the eyes of these unwary prey and gorging on the entrails they hoped that would be spilled.

So far the trolls were just circling but none doubted they would attack if they took another step closer to the tower. Robin slipped his hands back to pull out his swords from the sheaths on the saddle. Trolls were a nuisance of the highest order for they could only be killed by fire and to hack one to pieces was to regrow into that many trolls. A hundred pieces, a hundred trolls in less than a day. “Any ideas?” asked Robin. Lexi shrugged for him to dismount and he did onto a rotting log that barely held his weight while the unicorn shifted to the cat o' nine shape to better use its potent fire magics, Robin stooping to pick him up before he fell into the deep water.

My magics will not be so good until after the battle, the True God willing we survive it. So Hunter would not be much help here magically. Still, a shield drake was no small menace with their claws, teeth, and strong defensive magics. Already he was placing kinetic barriers around them that would turn the trolls' own attacks against them.

One troll stepped forward. It was by far the most grotesque creature any of them had ever seen, the undead included. Yet for all its fierce and gruesome visage there was intelligence there, a cunning that said he knew these humans were no threat and could easily be killed. “Come you here to deal with the wizard?” it asked in a deep and foul reeking voice.

“We have come to question him and deal with him as the situation befits.” Robin wondered exactly what was going on here. He did not like trolls being able to reason and speak, it made killing them that much harder if they chose to attack.

“Then know this, human. I am Gurtuk. Should you try to enter we will attack. Not for your crimes but because we must.” Ah. The wizard's spells held them in his grip and he could use them if he chose. They had no choice in the matter either and though the troll would probably love to kill them just for the food he did not want it to be on the orders of the wizard. He would not savor the crunching on the bones as he sucked out the marrow from the leg of the still living humans.

“I understand. Perhaps, should we win through, the wizard will no longer threaten either of our groups.” The troll nodded as if he knew what Robin meant. Robin was stalling for time as the sun was getting close to setting. Only a few more moments and he would be a true bane to this group should they attack...rather when they attacked.

“Perhaps.” The troll went back to the group and waited while drawing a wickedly sharp sword with serrated edges. They worst part was that while being bone, it was the leg bone from a human shaped into a blade. Not a very good sight.

Robin slid off of Lexi and removed his robe. Most of the trolls were salivating at the form, that succulent human flesh they may get to taste of, but the leader Gurtuk was eying him curiously. Why would the human disrobe? Then sunset came. The trolls pulled back as Robin's form grew and that fearsome red dragon stood there glaring at them. Few creatures instilled fear in trolls. Red dragons were the top of that list. KNOW THIS GURTUK. I AM FAR MORE THAN YOU REALIZE. He was not being cocky, he was telling the leader that he had to get into the tower to deal with the wizard. I CANNOT LET YOU HINDER US.

With all attention on Robin Shelby had drawn his fire sword and Lexi had donned a robe of his own and his own wizard staff. Made of ivory and topped with an amber the size of a hen's egg, it was far less impressive than Robin's, but it suited the man perfectly. Along its length were subtle runes that Lexi had only begun to decipher with the studies with Winter Heart. He knew that somehow this staff acted as both a focus for his arcane magics and his divine magics although he was unsure how priests used focuses. There were also runes on there that said to those who could read them that he followed Treena. How had Trav known?

“Then we fight.” The trolls roared as one and rushed in. Winter cried out and shot skyward with Parker on his back, sending out gouts of fire at the right flank. As the lines struck the trolls screamed in fear. Fire, the bane of the troll. Several were trying to put out the magical flames but they were consumed all the quicker as they tried to douse themselves in the water. Somehow this fire was fueled by the water.

“Nice spell, Winter,” murmured Parker. He filed away the incantation.

Robin and Lexi spun about, their weapons both natural and hand held, striking out to bloody the nearest trolls on their way to get to the tower. Lexi's voice rang out in a simple spell that shrouded him in flames, harmless to him but very dangerous to the trolls who suddenly gave him a wide berth, yet the prince flung himself at them, the flames leaping off his body and onto the closest victims. Those near the now engulfed monsters backed away from them and circled around to surround Lexi so he could not concentrate enough to cast another spell. Yet they found a flame sword wielding death snapper and an irate shield drake guarding his flanks. Two dropped from the baleful glare of the snapper, their essences leaving as blackened mist and swirling off into the skies above. Get to the castle, the two of you. We shall hold them off. Hunter's words seemed foolhardy, yet they were doing a decent job of protecting each other.

The bard nodded and drew his head back, the sound of great bellows working. The trolls knew that noise instinctively and scattered to get out of his range. They also left the doors unguarded and he spun a circle, his fiery breath cutting a swath out of the ranks as the trolls burned swiftly from the dragon fire. USE THE CASTLE AS A WALL. He told his friends and they began to position themselves to put the castle at their backs. It seemed to be going all too easy. Trolls were rumored to have no fear save of fire, yet all the combatants had some sort of fire attack, and they could have easily over run them by sheer numbers. They held back though, making an area around the castle's door. Robin, seeing that something was amiss, used the opportunity to exhale another gout of flames that made a semicircle wall that the trolls would have to pass through to get to them.

“Now all of us can go in,” said Winter Heart as he landed safely. “It should be safer and I can help with the magical traps we are sure to encounter along the way.” They all nodded but looked at Parker. The boy just shook his head.

“I know, I know. Stay with Shelby and Hunter.” He knew he was a burden for this excursion, but they were only protecting him. While it irked him he knew they cared for his well being

“Actually, you little sneak, you're going up front with Winter. Learn from him.” Robin nodded to Lexi's words, knowing that once the prince had learned just this way. He may get hurt but Winter was proving an adept spellcaster. He should be able to detect the nastier traps.

“Really?” His grin fell from his face as he realized he had to take this seriously. He nodded and followed the griffin ahead with all of his sense alert. His keen eyes and active mind began to look for anything that might be a trap trigger. A strange mark on the wall, a tripwire, anything that could conceivably be a trap.

Winter stuck out a claw and stopped Parker, pointing to a stone two steps in front of him. “See how this one is just slightly higher than the rest?” Parker nodded. He could only just see the variation but there were enough variants that he had not noticed just how much higher this one seemed than the rest. “Pressure trap. Look for something around that could be the actual trap.” Parker nodded and slipped over to the wall. What looked like a normal crack in the wall hid a very cleverly concealed nozzle that would either douse them all with some sort of liquid or gas. In fact there were six nozzles on that wall.

“This them?” he asked and the wizard bird nodded.

“Good eyes. Pressure traps are some of the hardest non-magical traps to disarm. Can you tell me why?” Lexi was looking around for any more traps while Winter was giving him some instruction.

“Because you can't get to the mechanism. It's always under something and if you move that you could trigger the trap itself or the trap that is only set off when you try to lift the trigger.” Winter nodded, wondering if Parker would be a good thief. The wizard had not thought about there being a trap to spring if you attempted to disarm the trap. It was devious and something he should know more about just in case. They went around the trap, still looking for more. They bypassed trip wires, triggered one pit trap but Parker was easily hauled back by Winter. “Thanks,” he said with a bit of a pout.

“Learning experience.” The griffin pointed out the slight variance in the flooring to show the presence of a pit. Once again Parker's eyes caught it and noted three more that would swallow up a single man that were within twenty paces. “You've a keen eye,” said Winter Heart and Parker smiled. Lexi and Robin looked on with a bit of a fond smile. He was such a treasure to them, this little boy, and they shared a thought that someday, if they got through this alive and well, they would want for a child just like him.

Peeking around the corner, Parker nodded to let them know he saw no traps. “Just a big room.” That seemed odd, but not too menacing really.

“Describe it.” Robin wanted to see it in his mind in case something was there they didn't want to be.

“It's smaller than the great hall, but not by much, with a ceiling large enough for a smoke to fit in comfortably. Perfectly round. There is one other door that I can see. The ceiling is not supported at all. No pillars or nothing. No art, designs...it is completely empty.” They nodded and went around the corner. That was one big room. It was two hundred feet in diameter with a seventy foot ceiling which was slightly domed. There was absolutely nothing in here. None of them trusted it for a second. As a group they edged into the room and stuck close to the walls. That was when they realized their mistake as the hall they came through was sealed off and smaller doors along the wall fell back to pour out hundreds of goblins and from the other hall came an ettin, a two headed giant. “Not empty now,” Parker quipped under his breath and leaped aside to avoid a goblin club, drawing his short sword.

“I'll take big and ugly,” said Robin and flapped once to cover the distance to the ettin. Lexi leveled his staff at a group of goblins that surged forward and spoke the words for a lightning spell. It arced from his staff to the first goblin, dropping him to the stone floor with blood leaking from his ears and nose, and then zapped at the next closest. It bounced back and forth to strike the goblins until a dozen had died, their blackened souls drifting out to swirl overhead. The prince spun his staff to slam into a goblin trying to sneak up behind him and it gasped as the wind was knocked out of him, then his head was severed as Parker came in swinging to stand at the prince's back.

“Well met, Imp.”

“You know, Lexi, life i'n't dull with you and Robin.” Despite the fact that they were hip deep in three foot tall beasties it made Lexi chuckle. The duo danced in a circle, their weapons and spells lashing out. Some even came from Parker, who used some basic cantrips to make the floor very slippery. Then he would efficiently dispatch them without much thought or care.

Hunter and Shelby once again fought side by side and the bodies piled up around them. Most were killed by the outright glare from the death snapper, but the shield drake's claws and teeth took their toll as well. Crimson stained the stone already, but the heroes had not gotten away unscathed. Yet any wound taken was instantly healed by Hunter's divine magics. The former priest seemed to have a vendetta against goblins and his ferocity was unparalleled at that moment. Scores dropped as he flung himself into the fray, spurts of goblin blood gushing to make the footing tricky and slick. Above the fighting was Winter Heart and his magics. Arrows of acid were fired from his talons to eat away at the goblin forces, but they still kept coming. There seemed to be no end to it at all and while Winter knew he had many spells left in him, he was needed for the fight with the wizard.

Robin landed and slammed down on the nearest goblins with a fist that was empowered by the sound of the raging battle. Handy to be a sonomagi when there was a lot of sound around. The ettin's heads looked at him with big toothy grins, saliva dripping down from yellowed tusks. “Aren't you lovely,” said Robin and ducked as the giant swung his huge spike mace, taking out a fair number of goblins instead. The bard knew this giant was stronger than him, probably by a lot, but he had speed and finesse on his side. Diving between the monster's legs, he slashed out with his claws but the hits that would have fell an ogre didn't do much to the twenty foot tall monster. It did make him look at the bloody tears in his calves, but not much else. This would be a long battle. Robin screamed, the spell knocking everything in front of him down and clutching their ears, the ettin once again proving more dangerous to his allies than his enemies as he squashed a handful as he landed. “Thanks again ugly.”

Robin took a moment to become the black dragon, but he was swarmed by the goblins who knew how to fight such a foe. Climbing up his legs and wings, they surged onto his back and he realized his mistake, but his sole attention was on the giant that was getting to his feet. Drawing back his great head, he spat a ball of highly corrosive acid on the back of the monster. THAT got his attention and a few goblins beside. The stench of sizzling ettin flesh made him gag and shake, a few goblins dislodged for the moment. Stringing hits fired along his back as the goblins sliced and hacked and bashed at his thick hide. Then there was a raucous cry from above as Winter Heart dived down to send blades of air to shave the beasties from Robin's back. MUCH THANKS FEATHER HEAD.

“Don't mention it. How about some of that sonic magic. I'll deafen us.” Robin nodded and looked inside himself for a good spell.

Lexi and Parker had made their way to the drake and snapper and they all fought as one cohesive group. Duck, spin, twirl, slice, rend...they were death on feet and every death ended in the blackened souls being released into the air. Then all went silent. The allies missed their rhythm and stopped, looked around because the fighting seemed to have stopped to their ears. Then they saw the goblins writhing in agony as Robin's head was raised in a roar of some sort. Goblin head after goblin head seemed to explode in a shower of goblin bits, spraying them with brains and skull fragments. It lasted far longer than it should have in Lexi's opinion and all but a few stragglers lay in pools of their own blood, urine and feces. The ettin seemed unaffected but was still sizzling from the acid. Robin lowered his head and glared at the giant. Sound returned and the echoing of the dragon's roar made them wince in pain. IT WON'T DIE!

Yes it will, said Hunter and his own form changed. They had seen the wolf and the drake, but this new one was simply massive. A reptile, it was bipedal with an almost birdlike quality. Skinny forearms ended in wicked claws and a mouth full of teeth could easily bit a man in half. Forty feet long and standing twenty tall, it was only slightly larger than the red dragon but the razor sharp talon that hooked far above the others at a length of three feet could disembowel even the ettin. A throaty cry came from Hunter's jaws as he leaped and came down atop the giant, those wicked talons digging deep into the flesh. The ettin fell back and roared out its pain as it peered down to see its innards spilling all over the ground. Too stupid to think past the pain that it was going to die, the ettin swung at Hunter but its throats were ripped out by an angry dragon and an irate griffin. Still it did not seem to realize it was already dead as he swung one final time in a futile attempt to smash the monster that hurt it. It finally feel to the ground and moved no more. The megaraptor form dissolved back into Hunter. As I said, yes it will. This wizard is well prepared.

“So are we,” said Lexi, surveying the damage they had wrought. Not many adventuring groups could boast to cause as much damage as they could. “Lets hurry along. I'm tired of this game.” They all nodded and after checking they were all well, the troupe went down the hall.

* * *

The goblin ran up the servant stair as fast as its stubby legs could carry it. Faster than it had ever gone before honestly for never had any goblin had to impart this news to their master. Wall sconces flared and dimmed as it passed on its trek up the endless steps. The master will not be pleased, it thought. That meant he would be blamed for imparting the news. The final door loomed ahead and rather than storm into the room the goblin paused to creep in lest he disturb the master in his studies. The door had not been used in a very long time so the hinges squealed as it opened. “Knock that noise off and get in here,” came a harsh command and the goblin did as ordered. “Why are you here?”

The goblin fell to the floor in supplication. “Greatest of masters the tower...has been invaded.” It cringed on the floor.

“I know. Disarm the rest of the traps, these ones have proven stronger than I realized.” With a wave of his hand the master dismissed the goblin who left very quickly. “Oh, and escort them to my sitting room.” The goblin nearly stumbled through the door. Escort them? He would be killed on sight, but then the master knew that.

* * *

The way was going easy...too easy. Before there had been traps and spells to counter, monsters to bash and puzzles to solve. Now there was nothing. Not even a stray shadow that may hide a lurking foe. SOMETHING TELLS ME HE KNOWS WE'RE HERE,said Robin and the others agreed. But what was the wizard's game? This rapid shift was not normal as far as any of them were concerned, no one just suddenly let you in especially after you just killed their minions.

“There is something up ahead,” Lexi said and they slowed down. Taking better grip on their weapons, they waited as they inched forward.

A lone goblin stepped out dressed in something that could pass as livery. An old robe of brown wool with a white pattern stitched over the breast, this goblin looked more important than the rest of the fodder. “If it would please you to follow me, the master will see you now.” Hearing the common tongue from the goblin mouth was slightly alarming. Watching it turn and head for a door that had not been there before was more so. “Please hurry along for the traps will be rearmed shortly.” Feeling naïve, they followed the goblin into the door.

“Are you the reason the traps are disarmed?” Lexi asked.

“The Master bid me to disarm the remaining traps and escort you.” The goblin sounded proper and refined but they all smelled he was scared out of his mind. Feared them almost as much as he feared his master.

The walk to the sitting was short compared to the rest of the tower and when they arrived they found a dignified and stately place for a meeting. The hearth was blazing and lit the room where the ambient magelights were not placed. Wall to wall carpeting was welcome after hard stone flooring and tapestries from various lands made the stark walls alive with color and exotic beauty. “I do not wish to sound impatient, but where is your Master?”

“In his study. I believe he will be with you shortly.” The goblin bowed and scurried out of the room, that fear scent lingering long enough to realize how very afraid he really was.

They did not have long to wait for a man in his late fifties came walking through the walls. He wore nothing that said he was a wizard save a pendant that thrummed with his pulse, but they all felt the magic in him. “Prince Alexander, why have you come thusly to my tower?” No ceremony, nothing to say he was put off at all. Just curious.

“Once you have heard why we are here you will know the reason we came thusly.”

Lexi and the rest were bid to sit or relax whichever was best for their anatomy. Lexi told the tale without wasting another moment. Through it all the wizard merely nodded and shook his head. He seemed at first confused and then mostly just dismayed. Robin could tell right off that this was not the one who cast the curse. “I do apologize to you and your companions, Your Grace, but I am not the mage you seek. I know the intrinsic nature spell and have heard that demonic influence can turn it to a curse, but until now I have not seen the results. The others you seek are indeed capable of this level of magic but I doubt that the Sorceress Leora would do this.”

WHY? Asked Robin. He had not resumed the Salamandrian form but had come in as a black dragon. He was surprised to be able to fit through doors.

“Her powers, while greater than my own, are not geared towards this type of curse. She is a muertici.” For all but Winter Heart that meant nothing. Even he had to dredge up long forgotten memories of lesson he never knew he had. When the information came it was a flood of information and a host of new spells he had learned about dealing with the dead, the spirit plane, and the undead. Those would have been very handy during their trek through the swamp.

“A death witch. A necromantic sorceress who deals only in the realms of the spirits and the dead.” Winter Heart said and Lexi nodded as if that explained it all.

“But isn't this a spell that deals with the inner spirit of the person?” asked Parker with his nose wrinkled on one side.

The master of the tower looked to the adults before answering, as if asking permission to correct the child in their midsts. “Youngling, she knows and can cast this spell upon herself and none other. Once this spell was perverted by demonic influence it may be cast upon another and then it is out of the scope of her powers for she has no dealings with the realms of the living including demons. Perhaps especially demons. I believe she would support a unicorn before a demon.”

“Then you believe we should not bother her for this, except maybe to ask her opinion on who may have cast it?” questioned Lexi.

“Oh, no, bother her all you want. I insist.” Robin raised a brow. “We have a bit of a rivalry going on and use every opportunity to annoy each other without causing actual harm. You showing up, sent by me, would upset her quite a bit. She might even try to send her hordes against me again. You faced those, the undead I controlled just to irk her. Yes, go see her.” The prospect did not upset him in the slightest, it seemed. This wizard was insane. “But, leave that until the morning. If you wish to stay here for the evening, you may. The trolls and other denizens of the swamps will not come close to the tower, but if you leave here tired you may fall prey to them.” He stood to leave, but stopped. “By the by, how did you find my tower?”

“My brother told us where to find you.” Lexi felt his chest constrict. Of all the losses, Travis hurt the worst.

“And how fare's your brother? A very astute mind.”

“He's dead.” The simple statement rocked the mage to his core and he sat down hard. “You didn't know?”

“No. Young Travis and I spoke but rarely, usually for exchanges of magic. What could kill such a man? His potential alone was greater than my own.” They had not expected honest sorrow, especially from someone who appeared to be mentally unbalanced.

“We don't know. Someone strong enough to kill three of the crown princes of Lycenia. Ethan and Nathan were also killed. All that remained were piles of ash and dust.”

The mage stood and started to pace quickly. “Describe the dust and ash.” Lexi did, with some small input from Robin. The stench of sulfur caught his attention. “This ash...was it blacker than the darkest night?” They nodded. “I don't know if this will be good new then. Your brothers still live. BUT,” he said loudly to stop their hopes from getting too high, “they have been sent to the lower planes. The ash you describe is the land from the realm of demons.”

Lexi, whose hopes had flared, sank lower and clutched at his chest. “Is there...is there any way to save them?”

“When binding a mortal on the demon planes one must keep some sort of amulet or item charged with magic to keep them there. When you find this mage who has cursed you, you will find the items that bind your brothers.”

Thank you. There is small hope now to free them. Robin saw there was very little hope, but small hope was better than none.

“I wish I had heard sooner. I might have done some good tracing the magic, but it is faded by now.” He looked at them. “I am very sorry. You are welcome to stay. I...you, lad, what are you wearing?” His interest was suddenly on Parker. Or rather the necklace he wore.

“A gift from Prince Travis.”

“And a princely gift it is. I gave that to his teacher some eighty years ago. It seems to like you.” With that he swept out of the room, the goblin entering again.

“If you wish to stay, you may follow me.”

Copyright © 2014 Fantasyboy69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Things just keep getting more and more involved. I am enjoying this story!!! Thank you!!!

Link to comment

CHAPTER 4

 

Travis as a wizard, Ethan as a priest, weak but versatile Alexander, Nathan had enhancement magic, augmenting his own natural strengths to supernatural, and Frederick was a sorcerer. His magic came not from within but from manipulation of the energies around him from harnessing air for lightning, to summoning elementals, to summoning demons. He could not cast nearly as quickly as a wizard, but he would not get tired. “Name me three uses for such a small spell.” Raven was no sorcerer but he knew the mechanics of their gifts.

 

 

CHAPTER 12

 

Wizards had their memorized spells, sorcerers from within, druids from the energy around and clerics from above and through prayer. Where did sonomagi fit in? He seemed to be more like a sorcerer than anything else but how did he regain energy?

Link to comment
On 09/14/2014 04:01 PM, alfredfranco said:
CHAPTER 4

 

Travis as a wizard, Ethan as a priest, weak but versatile Alexander, Nathan had enhancement magic, augmenting his own natural strengths to supernatural, and Frederick was a sorcerer. His magic came not from within but from manipulation of the energies around him from harnessing air for lightning, to summoning elementals, to summoning demons. He could not cast nearly as quickly as a wizard, but he would not get tired. “Name me three uses for such a small spell.” Raven was no sorcerer but he knew the mechanics of their gifts.

 

 

CHAPTER 12

 

Wizards had their memorized spells, sorcerers from within, druids from the energy around and clerics from above and through prayer. Where did sonomagi fit in? He seemed to be more like a sorcerer than anything else but how did he regain energy?

Sonomagi are more like sorcerers. They gain energy from noise as well as strength. The more sound, the faster he gets back his energy and the stronger his spells. Which is why, in the swamps, his spells were boosted up by the songs to the One God.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..