Jump to content
    Toast
  • Author
  • 1,032 Words
  • 5,597 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Zax - 2. Chapter 2

Chapter Two

 

 

A thousand years ago or so, Paragon found itself in a dilemma. After an equally long history of expansion and dominion, Paragon came face to face with an epiphany. A race so far advanced beyond their understanding and so sophisticatedly different that it shook the foundations of the empire itself. An ever burgeoning empire built on the steadfast belief in its own glory found itself second rate. And the political and cultural fallout was devastating to the mindset of those in power and was poisonous in the extreme to what we would call rational judgment. But what could be done? They were helpless. This was unacceptable. Except, the Paragonians were a race who thrived on finding answers, who sought out solutions to impossible riddles, who found secrets where none where. The hidden weaknesses in the obviously strong. They bided their time. And out of necessity one arose who sought and found an answer. An answer that destroyed a race of gods.

 

~*~

 

Keufer K’han loved his son. And as proud as he was of him, he still feared for him. His son would take the rite of passage too seriously. He would go beyond the bounds of knowledge. He would risk all. He would heedlessly put himself in danger. Keufer smiled. His son was just like him at that age. Maybe even more reckless. He knew Timfer would push all the way and he wanted to protect his son the same way his father had protected him. This is where the Elite came in. The Elite were the greatest form of protection known to Paragon. Anyone or anything under their protection was invulnerable. There were so few left. Once, after the Great Conquest, they were every where. But over time their numbers had dwindled. They vanished in large numbers at first and then one by one. There was a myth that they all died, having suffered defeat, they had committed a ritual dead. But Keufer held other beliefs. He was gambling on them and putting his trust in his son and his destiny.

 

~*~

 

Aelix was recounting a past life. Maybe not a life but a past experience. He found he could have a synopsis of facts, a kind of dry history… or he could have just feelings, a kind of dream of life… or he could have both. Or he could relive the life in total in seconds. With or without a commentary of related history, hyper psychology, consequence, etc. The amount of information trails were endless. He was Amfer. The Guardian of Sumar S’oar the First. His life centered around the protection and welfare of this one man, who gloried in his triumph and who sought domination of all others.

 

Aelix opened his eyes. He did so, because of a touch on his bare arm. Before him stood a man dressed in a sheath of diamond brilliance. “Follow” the man said. Aelix, blinked at the man as thousands of pieces of information crossed his mind. He was momentary too stunned to react and then instinct took over and all unnecessary cognition blanked into the background and Aelix was himself again. It was a relief. He stood and like a wild zefer he stretched for all he was worth. The man who had given him the command was now some ways across the large hall unconcerned whether he was obeyed. Stepping across the perimeter of the unformed jar, he made his way after the tall figure. He was intensely curious. He knew and didn’t know this creature. Suddenly, Aelix was seeing a double image of the man. One on top of the other. Form and Spirit. Man and Paragon. Aelix blinked again to clear his mind and vision, then hurried along after this dichotomy. He noticed the flooring then. It was a timeless design of precious stones. It was not symmetrical and yet completely organic like crystals growing in a waterfall. He wavered at the beauty. His mind was cataloging he realized. Noting everything, with commentary. Known and unknown, etc. Every space was full and even the objects that held or contained the objects were marvelous works of heart and art.

 

The man in front of him passed thru a dagger archway and a small foyer into a half domed chamber. It was a quarter the size of the previous hall and thus quite large. About center ways of his crossing the chamber the man pointed. “Stand here” he simply stated and continued on to an air formed reclining chair in the middle of a spiral sculpture. This chair was not the simple air cushion that had held Aelix in ease and comfort minutes before. It was a black orchid of lush velvet.

 

Aelix stood like a dancer in a reverie of awaking, waiting for what came next.

 

~*~

 

Timfer was in his staterooms packing. Really, he was throwing a few things in a back pack. Silly, unneeded things like an embrace amulet his father had given him. He was so angry it had come to this. But, he felt it was now. The time was now. He had spent a month preparing this stolen departure and a life time preparing for the ritual. It was at this moment the summons came from his father. So, his father knew. He considered just walking out, not stopping. But, the summons was followed by a plea, “Would you leave without an embrace?” Tears came to his eyes.

 

~*~

 

Durush S’oar contemplated the myth of the Great Conquest again. Only a handful knew the secret and now he was one of the few. This information came at a great price. His Elite. This added to the talk of his weakness at court. He could expect an attempt on his life at any time now. But, the knowledge was worth it all. Just keep himself alive for a few days and he would inherit the legacy and then he would take back his Elite and much more. Most importantly, he would set things right. This time there would be true victory.

 

 

 

 

 

January 28, 2011

Copyright © Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original art, characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.<br /><br />© Copyright 2011 by Bugeye. All Rights Reserved.<br /><br />
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..