Jump to content
    Frostina
  • Author
  • 996 Words
  • 1,540 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Trying to... - 1. Trying to Uncomplicate

Too many things to take care of... Prioritisation is never easy.

Tyler stood alone in the semi darkness, silently sipping his tea; trying to soothe his throat for he had yet to perform another set when Rhea was done with hers. He was having a tough time not looking at the man that had been showering him with attention for the past six weeks.

Stop thinking about him! He chided himself. He knew he shouldn’t, he couldn’t, not with the pair of arms he had to disentangle himself from every night. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

‘Ty!’

Tyler squeezed his eyes shut, hoping... no, almost praying for Scott not to find him. He didn’t want this, not now. Not before he had to go up on stage and sing the most emotional songs.

‘Ty, are you feeling okay?’ Scott’s concerned gaze met his in the dimly lit corridor as Tyler finally opened his eyes to find the former standing right in front of him. Close, too close!

‘Yes,’ Tyler was surprised to find his voice huskier with the unspoken emotions, the ones that the green shining eyes always evoked in him. He quickly cleared his throat and nodded at the tea in his hand. ‘I needed this, thank you. What’re you doing here?’

‘I was looking for you,’ Scott looked over Tyler’s shoulder, into the room littered with dancing couples. ‘I figured, with Rhea singing,’ he paused, looked into Tyler’s eyes and took a step closer, ‘I would ask if I could have a dance.’ His voice trailed off at the last word, the whisper barely reaching Tyler. It probably wouldn’t have, were they not standing so close that Tyler could feel Scott’s breath on his cheek.

‘Scott,’ Tyler drew in a sharp breath, begging his heart to slow, ‘please don’t. I’ve told you a thousand times, I can’t.’ He took a step back, regret etched on his face, but he made sure he looked into Scott’s eyes so that the latter saw the sincerity in his words.

‘I know,’ Scott whispered, his shoulders slumping. He looked down at the floor a moment and when he took in a huge breath and looked back up at Tyler, his eyes glistened more than they did a moment earlier, ‘I wish... I just wish you’d tell me why.’

Scott tentatively reached out to touch Tyler’s cheek, but Tyler arrested it midway and brought it to his lips instead.

‘I wish I could,’ Tyler whispered, kissing the nimble fingers before dropping his hand and returning to the hall.

 

* * *

 

The speeches done, the special dances all danced, the wedding reception was almost over. The caterers were cleaning up the tables, and there were hardly twenty people whom the Peters’ called family that still lingered. The bride and the groom were ready for their departure when Tyler decided to pack up. When the bride walked up to the stage, to make an unusual request, he was surprised.

He took the piece of paper Mel handed to him and his vision blurred. He couldn’t believe what she’s just asked him to sing. Hugging his smiling friend tight, not bothered about wrinkling the perfect white gown that took her only a month to find, he whispered into her ear, ‘You’re the most beautiful person I’ve ever met, Mel.’ He pulled back and saw tears in her eyes too; trying to lighten the situation he smiled, ‘Well, maybe the second most.’

That earned him a swat on his arm. Kissing Tyler’s cheek, Mel nodded towards the stage and smiling, she made her way back to her table where her Greg was waiting for him.

Tyler picked up his guitar, sat on the edge of the stage and decided to make the final dance as special as he could for his two closest friends.

 

‘In the arms of an Angel fly away from here,
From this dark, cold hotel room, and the endlessness that you fear...’

Tylerlooked around to see most of the remaining guests dancing and had to tear his eyes from Scott sitting solemnly at the table, looking at him longingly.


‘You are pulled from the wreckage of your silent reverie,
You're in the arms of an Angel; may you find some comfort here...’

* * *

 

He didn’t look at Scott again; his voice was already too laced with emotions. The ones he was feeling: the ones he did not want to feel, the ones making him rethink the rules he’d laid out for himself in the last few years. After Sarah...

His feet dragged on the floor of the hotel lobby as he made his way to the front entrance. The doorman smiled at him.

‘Ty!’

Tyler knew it would be best to pretend he hadn’t heard that call, so he just hurried the next few steps, ignoring the sound of running feet behind him. Blessing his lucky stars when he saw a taxi, he climbed in and almost yelled at the driver, ‘Go, go, go!’

Once they took off, he turned to look back; he wouldn’t, he’d never admit to even himself that his heart broke a little at the look of Scott standing there, an arm raised as if to call him back. Tyler told himself it was raised in goodbye.

Maybe this is how it is supposed to end, Scott doesn’t need more complications. And I cannot be who he wants me to be.

He made the rest of the trip in silence; smiling when he thought about the face he would invariably see looking out the window.

Chuckling at how right he was, he unlocked the front door, only to have an armful of bubbling energy envelop him in the most beautiful of hugs; making all his pain bearable and his face light up in pure, unadulterated joy.

‘Missed you, daddy!’

‘You too, Angel!’

 

 

Please visit the topic in the forum. It's not just a discussion thread. I need help on the story.

Let me know what you think about it. Would really appreciate feedback. Thanks and hope you enjoyed.
Copyright © 2011 Frostina; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awww you like bittersweet endings, drat! But I love how you made me experience all those emotions, thank you for that. And I'm really glad you wrote this :2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 07/09/2011 06:44 AM, jian_sierra said:
Awww you like bittersweet endings, drat! But I love how you made me experience all those emotions, thank you for that. And I'm really glad you wrote this :2thumbs:
:hug: yay! you liked it! :) Thanks to you i keep writing... lol as for the bittersweet, well, you know i am a hopeless romantic! can't really end it in a complete tragedy! my fingers wont allow me! :P
Link to comment

I liked the ending too :D I like a touch of realism every now and then, life doesn't always offer happy endings. Thanx Frosty for a good read!

Link to comment
On 07/09/2011 07:12 AM, Marzipan said:
I liked the ending too :D I like a touch of realism every now and then, life doesn't always offer happy endings. Thanx Frosty for a good read!
Glad you liked it babe! ^_^ life is about dodging the curve balls and not always do we manage to emerge without bruises! hurts? yes, definitely! It's who applies the salve that matters most, methinks! ^_^:hug: thanks :)
Link to comment

What a complete little idea. Lovely. The whole thing just seems to hang together with an unexpected twist at the end of it. However, the twist causes a lot if dissatisfaction in me (in its content, not its existence), and makes me want to argue argue argue :D !

 

This is written with a lovely luminosity, a sort of sparkly clarity and articulates an often difficult to deal with set of circumstances. It's just a shame Tyler feels he has to give in to them.

Link to comment
On 07/09/2011 05:01 PM, Dannsar said:
What a complete little idea. Lovely. The whole thing just seems to hang together with an unexpected twist at the end of it. However, the twist causes a lot if dissatisfaction in me (in its content, not its existence), and makes me want to argue argue argue :D !

 

This is written with a lovely luminosity, a sort of sparkly clarity and articulates an often difficult to deal with set of circumstances. It's just a shame Tyler feels he has to give in to them.

lol! i'd argue with ya! ^_^ and i bet i can keep up! Like i said in the description, i will be trying to 'figure stuff out in their lives and, i believe we havent seen the last of Tyler or Scott. ^_^ my intent is to keep all of them separate, but for people like you :P who would look for more answers, there will be a link... hopefully! Thanks for reading and reviewing. :)
Link to comment

Aaaawww Frosty awww man That was beautiful, I really am just sat here saying awwwww. Very emotive Frosty.

Your just so amazing :D:wub::boy:

Link to comment
On 07/09/2011 07:20 PM, Mark92 said:
Aaaawww Frosty awww man That was beautiful, I really am just sat here saying awwwww. Very emotive Frosty.

Your just so amazing :D:wub::boy:

:D yay! you liked it! :hug: thanks for the review! ^_^ I think i might have one more ready to go! ;)
Link to comment

I like little compact stories like this. You do this one so well, packing everything in beautifully. Especially now, the ending touched me. Hope you do have more like this.

Link to comment
On 07/10/2011 02:14 AM, carringtonrj said:
I like little compact stories like this. You do this one so well, packing everything in beautifully. Especially now, the ending touched me. Hope you do have more like this.
Thank you. :) this is my first time attempting anything like this. It's really nice to see that the emotions carried through. I have just the one other, but I am trying to write a few more. Any/all suggestions, comments and crits are welcome.
Link to comment

I like it and want more. People with kids still have relationships and it's nice to see this family story.

Link to comment
On 07/10/2011 10:53 AM, K.C. said:
I like it and want more. People with kids still have relationships and it's nice to see this family story.
Thank you KC. ^_^ of course they have relationships. just that the dynamics are a little different. :) and attempting a new one is never easy... :) so, let's see where i can go from here. I just plan on snapshots of their lives :)
Link to comment

Unless I read this wrong, Frosty, you have a widowed father who has the chance again at love but won't do it because of his daughter at home. Sounds like a man afraid of taking the chance but knowing he is wrong doing it. Hard to swallow the pain and anguish that seems to be there and yet you know could be solved if he would take a chance. But then again, when is life ever so easy for anyone. I hope you continue this little tale. I enjoyed it greatly. :)

Link to comment
On 07/10/2011 01:27 PM, comicfan said:
Unless I read this wrong, Frosty, you have a widowed father who has the chance again at love but won't do it because of his daughter at home. Sounds like a man afraid of taking the chance but knowing he is wrong doing it. Hard to swallow the pain and anguish that seems to be there and yet you know could be solved if he would take a chance. But then again, when is life ever so easy for anyone. I hope you continue this little tale. I enjoyed it greatly. :)
you read it perfect Wayne. :) thanks for the review. :) just that, he's not 'widowed', just single. we might, and i stress on 'might' get to see what happened. :) I hope the bits come to me :D i would love to see this story go somewhere :D
Link to comment

Very nice little story. I agree with the previous reviewers: this deserves a sequel. :)

Link to comment
On 07/10/2011 10:06 PM, Bleu said:
Very nice little story. I agree with the previous reviewers: this deserves a sequel. :)
:*) thank you. :) I hope i have a nice one! ^_^
Link to comment

Go for the jugular, girl. This is brilliant. I love the way you infuse and resolve all the micro subplots and weave the story thru to the twist. It's like looking at a Hopper painting and finding the stories he paints. All good short fiction must embrace the same rules as applied to writing shorter stories or even novels. It seems logical, only at the end of all the suspense, that Ty will walk away, but why? And when the twist came, it blew me away...well done ma'am.

Link to comment
On 07/29/2011 04:21 AM, LJH said:
Go for the jugular, girl. This is brilliant. I love the way you infuse and resolve all the micro subplots and weave the story thru to the twist. It's like looking at a Hopper painting and finding the stories he paints. All good short fiction must embrace the same rules as applied to writing shorter stories or even novels. It seems logical, only at the end of all the suspense, that Ty will walk away, but why? And when the twist came, it blew me away...well done ma'am.
:D i am so glad you like the approach. tbh, i was a little wary of the reactions i was going to get. Thanks for the comments. :) its always nice to know the efforts are appreciated! ^_^
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..