Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 3,927 Words
  • 1,901 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Heart of The Tree - 28. Part IV - The Heart Decides. Chapter 26

“Okay, we’re now in Dubbo. What’s going on?” Bobby asked.

Alex threw Bobby a grin before returning his attention to the road. “Not just yet. It’s Jamie’s idea, so I think he should explain things.”

“You said I’d find out when we got to Dubbo. Now you’re saying I still have to wait? Come on, just tell me.”

Chuckling, Alex shook his head. “It won’t be long. We’ll just pick up the guys and then we’ll go celebrate your birthday.”

“I’m beginning to think I made a huge mistake agreeing to this,” Bobby said, crossing his arms.

When the idea was first put forward for Bobby to have his birthday in Dubbo, it had seemed like a good idea. It was four weeks after Aunt Cynthia’s funeral, and Vince was still cautious about appearing in town. Bobby and Alex had heard a number of rumours, but none that explicitly mentioned Vince. There were a couple that suggested that the new Heart was a guy, but most people seemed to discount or ignore those. Rhys was still convinced that Susie Young had worked out at least part of it and that she had told her uncle, John Young, who Rhys had since discovered was a long-standing councillor.

Bobby’s birthday was an excuse for a combination holiday and party weekend away from Mourton, but as Bobby’s friends became tight-lipped about the details, he started to feel apprehensive. Alex finally told him that he’d get the details when they were in Dubbo, and that he was going to have the time of his life, but wouldn’t say anything else.

“There they are,” Alex said.

Bobby looked up to see Jamie and Rhys waiting by the side of the road. Alex pulled over and the two guys climbed into the back seat.

“Hi, guys,” Alex said.

“G’day, Alex. Happy birthday, Bobby,” Jamie said. “The others said they’ll meet us there.”

“Happy birthday, Bobby,” Rhys said, grinning broadly. “You’re in for the really special treat – I have to say I’m going to be jealous.”

“Can someone tell me what’s going on? Alex is being a bastard and won’t say anything.”

“Okay, Bobby, I suppose it’s time to put you out of your misery, in more ways than one,” Jamie said. Rhys and Alex chuckled. “You know where to go, Alex?” Jamie asked.

“Sure – leave it to me,” Alex said, as he started driving again.

Bobby twisted around so he could glare at Jamie. “Well? Start talking before I decide throttling you is going to be my birthday present to myself.”

“All right, but bear with me, though, as this may take a bit of time to explain,” Jamie said.

“I’m waiting...”

“Now, we all know you’re straight – unfortunately – but you haven’t been getting any, so I had an idea a couple of weeks ago to do something about it.”

“You’re not setting me up for a blind date, are you? I can’t believe it if that’s the big surprise. I’ll say right now that I’m not going out with a girl I don’t know.”

“How are you going to get to know someone if you don’t go out with them?” Jamie asked.

“It is a blind date! Well, you can think again. I’m not playing along,” Bobby said, glaring.

“It’s not a blind date. You won’t have to go with a girl you don’t want. In fact, you get to choose the girl you’ll spend the weekend with,” Jamie said, a broad grin on his face.

“What are you talking about?” Bobby asked.

“You see, I happen to know where there’s an upmarket brothel, with some real exotic beauties. We’ve all chipped in to hire you a girl for the weekend,” Jamie said.

“A BROTHEL?” Bobby was shocked. He didn’t know what to say.

“You can see why I’m going to be jealous. I did a drive by yesterday and saw a couple of them out the front. I was drooling so much that I almost lost control of my bike,” Rhys said.

“Well, you can all bloody well go fuck yourselves. I’m not having anything to do with this,” Bobby said. “Alex, turn around. We’re going home.”

“I think he might be a bit upset,” Rhys said to Jamie, though he didn’t seem concerned.

“Mia said he might be,” Jamie replied in a similar tone.

“MIA! You mean she’s in on this, too?” Bobby asked.

“Of course! She had to put in her part of the payment, because the prices on the web site I checked out were pretty steep,” Jamie said.

“Alex! Pull over. I’m getting out and catching the train home.” Bobby’s face was going red.

“Steady, Bobby. We’re almost there. If you really don’t want to pick a girl, then we can call the whole thing off. We won’t make you do anything you’re not happy with,” Alex said.

“You don’t have to wait. I’M NOT DOING IT!”

Alex pulled over. He turned to grin at Bobby. “Last chance to change your mind. We’re here and there’s a couple of girls out the front. If you really don’t want one, we’ll go.”

Bobby couldn’t stop himself from looking. His jaw dropped, and then a slow grin spread across his face.

“You’re all bastards; you know that, don’t you?” he said in a calm voice.

Rhys burst out laughing.

“I take it you like what you see. There’s more girls inside if you want to check them out,” Jamie said.

“You’re all bastards, and yeah, I like what I see. I don’t need to go inside – I know which one I want,” Bobby said, undoing his seat belt.

When he got out of the car, Mia, Mark, Vince, Matt and Shane stepped out of the coffee shop next door. “Surprise!”

Bobby gave them a grin and then went up to run his hand down the body of the black BMW Z3 Roadstar that was parked outside of the car rental place.

“She’s a little beauty,” he said in awe.

“I thought you’d go for the Porsche,” Rhys said.

Bobby shook his head but didn’t take his gaze off the BMW as he strolled slowly around it. “I’ve always wanted to drive a sports convertible. The Porsche would be fun, but this is the girl for me.”

“They might have a Porsche convertible inside, if you want to check. There was a Boxster listed on their web site,” Jamie said.

“Nah. I don’t want any more choices. Let’s get a move on – we’re wasting valuable driving time!”

The group headed inside, Bobby and Jamie in the lead. A thin guy in a black suit approached them. He looked to be in his early thirties. A small, elegant name tag read Peter Davidson.

“Can I help you?” he asked.

“Hi! It’s my friend’s birthday here and we’d like to hire the Z3 Roadstar out the front for the weekend,” Jamie said.

Peter Davidson blinked and then frowned. “Who’ll be the driver?”

“He will be,” Jamie said, flicking a thumb towards Bobby.

Peter shook his head. “I’m sorry, but whoever hires the car needs to be at least twenty-five. Company rules.”

“Ah, come on. Surely you can bend them a bit. It’s for his birthday,” Rhys said.

“I’d love to, but it’s the insurance company that determines this. They won’t insure the vehicle unless the driver is over twenty-five. He can’t drive it until then.” Peter was sympathetic but adamant.

“Shit!” Jamie said. He turned to Bobby. “I’m really sorry, mate. I just didn’t think to check if there was an age restriction.”

“That’s okay. I had a dream for a few minutes, and now I’ve got something to look forward to when I’m older.” Bobby smiled down at Jamie, but everyone could tell he was disappointed.

The group headed outside, where they milled around, uncertain as to what to do.

“We had it all planned out, and got messed up because of one small problem.” Rhys kicked a loose stone on the pavement.

“I’ve got an idea,” Shane said, tapping a finger to the side of his face. “Why don’t we all grab a drink at the coffee shop while I see what I can do? I’ll have a jasmine tea, if they have one.”

“What are you going to do?” Matt asked.

“Leave it with me for the moment, because I’m not sure it’s going to work.” Shane pulled out his phone and dialed a number.

“Cindy, darling. How are you?”

Shane rolled his eyes. “How could you not know who I am? There’s no one else in the world like me, and you know it.” He grinned.

“That’s better. Now, I’ve got a teensy-weensy little favour to ask.” Shane pulled a face. “Now, don’t be like that, Cindy. I’m being serious!” He smiled.

“Okay, the situation is I’m here with a group of friends, and one of them is having his birthday. We’ve just been to Luxury Car Rentals to get him a sports car for the weekend, but they knocked us back because he’s not twenty-five.”

Shane listened for a moment. His eyebrows shot up.

“I didn’t know that. However, we’re getting off the track. I was wondering if you’d mind bringing that lovely little... Now don’t get defensive, it’s for a good cause, after all. You don’t really want Bobby to have a rotten birthday, do you? He’s got this damn awful beaten-up car that he calls his girlfriend that he’s trying to turn into a fashion model, and since he’s so into cars we wanted to get him something decent for the weekend. Well, that was the idea, until it got squashed by the rules and regulations. Now, if you aren’t doing anything and if you could do me a big favour and...”

Shane narrowed his eyes and stared at Bobby.

“Well, let’s see... he’s nineteen, close to two metres tall, chunky build – attractive, I suppose, if you like the muscular type – brown, wavy hair that’s in desperate need of some decent styling and he could do with a fashion consultant, but what can you expect from a mechanic?”

Bobby glanced down at his clothes and then looked back at Shane. Bobby raised an eyebrow and Shane grinned.

“Thanks, Cindy! I owe you one. We’re at the coffee shop next to the rental place. See you soon!”

Shane threw a smile around the group. “She’ll be here in about thirty minutes.”

“Who’s Cindy and why is she coming here?” Matt asked.

“I think that should be a surprise, don’t you? We’ve messed up one – let’s all see if we can do better this time,” Shane said.

“Shane!” Matt drew out the word warningly.

“It’s okay, Matt. I think I know what he’s got planned. Cindy has some sort of sports car, doesn’t she Shane?” Bobby said.

Shane pouted. “Well, if you don’t want to wait to find out, there’s not much I can do about it.”

“What’s she got?” Alex asked.

“Not telling.”

“Go on, you can tell us. We’ll find out soon enough, anyway,” Jamie said.

“You’re right,” Shane said, nodding his head. He fell silent.

“Well?” Jamie asked.

“As you said, you’ll find out soon enough.” Shane smiled cheekily at Jamie.

While they waited, they filled Bobby in on the plans for dinner. Mia was keen to try out the Vietnamese restaurant that was near their house. Bobby was told he would be staying the night at the house with Rhys, Mia, Mark and Vince, while Alex would be staying at Jamie’s place. It meant that only Alex and Matt would have to be careful with what they drank.

Twenty-five minutes later, a small, old-fashioned but sporty red car pulled up. A thin brunette wearing an old-style pair of driving goggles waved to the group.

“Oh, my god! An MG Midget!” Bobby said.

Shane rose to his feet and hurried around to the driver’s side to greet the young woman. He gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“Everyone, this is Cindy Alderson. Cindy, here are some of my new and old friends. The guy with his jaw on the ground is the birthday boy, Bobby.”

“Hi, everyone. I believe there’s someone here who wants a ride?” She smiled at Bobby.

“Me! Me!” Jamie said, raising his hand and waving furiously.

“Settle down, Jamie. It’s Bobby’s birthday, not yours,” Alex said. He leant over and whispered something in Jamie’s ear. Jamie immediately lowered his hand and stared at his boyfriend. A grin spread across Jamie’s face. “Really?”

Alex smiled and nodded.

“Okay, Bobby’s turn,” Jamie said.

“I’ve got a spare set of goggles, but I’ll say up front that I’m driving. I’m not letting someone I don’t know take my baby for a spin,” Cindy said.

Bobby nodded. “That’s fair. I’d be exactly the same – you can’t be too careful.”

“Then come on. I know exactly where I can take you so you can appreciate her finer qualities.”

Cindy reached in and pulled out the spare goggles and handed them to Bobby.

“What’s her name?” Bobby asked as he adjusted the straps.

“Name?”

“You can’t tell me she doesn’t have a name.”

Cindy considered Bobby for a moment. “Okay, yes, she’s got a name. She’s Lady Penelope – a lady with attitude.”

Bobby smiled. “In that case, Cindy, Lady Penelope, may I have the honour of a ride?”

Cindy laughed. “Get in. She doesn’t like pretentious oafs.” Cindy turned to Shane. “I’ll have him back in an hour or so.”

* * *

“Try him again,” Jamie suggested.

“I’ve been trying him every five minutes, but his phone’s off.” Mia was testy, but all of them were beginning to get concerned. It had been almost two hours since Bobby and Cindy had driven off and there had been no word from either of them.

Rhys frowned at Shane. “What do you know about Cindy? She’s not a secret axe murderess or something, is she?”

“Of course not! She’s Zoe’s best friend. Zoe is one of the girls I’m doing nursing with. I think Cindy’s doing engineering, but I’m not sure.”

“You don’t really know much about her, then? And you entrusted Bobby with her?”

“Leave him alone, Rhys.” Matt glanced around the group. “Zoe’s a nice girl and I’m sure her best friend is a good person, too. Maybe they’re just having fun.”

Shane looked around nervously. “Her dad owns one of the largest car dealerships in town, and she’s another motor nut. I think I heard her say she restored that sports car herself, but I’m not sure. I just thought she and Bobby would get along.”

Mia reached over and patted Shane on the arm, which made Mark scowl. “It’s okay. I’m sure it’s nothing.”

“Then where are they?” Mark asked, glaring at Shane.

“I think that’s them coming now,” Alex said, pointing down the street.

They all turned and saw a red sports car heading towards them. It was a moment before they realised that the driver wasn’t Cindy.

“Bobby’s driving!” Jamie said. He turned to Alex. “I’m sure she said she doesn’t let anyone else drive it.”

Alex shrugged. “We’ll know soon enough.”

The group gathered around the MG as soon as it pulled up to the curb. Bobby sat up on the driver's door and pushed back his goggles. “Sorry we’re a bit late.”

Mia flung both hands into the air. “A bit late! You were supposed to be here an hour ago!”

Cindy took off her goggles and tilted her head as she stared at Mia. “You look a bit young to be his mum.”

Vince stepped between the two girls. “Sorry, Cindy. We were just getting a bit worried, that’s all.”

Cindy smiled. “I suppose it was a bit more than an hour. But it’s Bobby’s birthday, and we were enjoying ourselves too much to stop.”

“I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve invited Cindy to dinner with us. I thought it was the least I could do after she gave me a drive,” Bobby said.

Rhys flicked his gaze at where Cindy was smiling at Bobby, and then back to his friend. He raised his eyebrows as he contemplated how quickly the two appeared to have hit it off.

* * *

“Vince?”

Vince looked up from the second-hand Camira he and Matt were checking out. “What is it, Alex? I thought you’d be out the back with the others.”

The group were at Cindy’s dad’s car dealership. Cindy had taken Bobby, Jamie and Rhys out the back. Mia, Mark and Shane were looking at the new cars on display, while Matt and Vince had started on the used vehicles.

“I’ll join them soon, but I thought I should fill you in on the latest from home.”

Vince glanced around nervously, but there was no one near them. “What is it?”

Alex smiled. “Mainly good news. Between Bobby and me, we pick up a lot of the gossip. Most of the people our age aren’t talking about The Heart – it’s as if they’re trying to stay off the subject. When they do talk of The Heart, it’s as a guy, and we’re not hearing much that is bad. Almost everyone seems positive, so that side of things is looking good.”

Vince narrowed his eyes. “Why do I get the impression that there’s a ‘but’ coming?”

Alex pulled a face and then grinned. “Possibly because there is?” He dropped his grin. “I catch a few things at the store when the customers don’t realise I’m in earshot. It tends to be older guys, but some have started saying that Aunt Cynthia was the last Heart and there isn’t going to be another one. They’re saying that The Tree is her last legacy, and that something respectful needs to be done – they can’t just let it slowly die.”

“What does that mean?” Vince glanced at Matt, who shrugged.

“I don’t know,” Alex said, “but I thought I’d pass it on. No one’s telling the older folk that there’s a new Heart, but don’t expect that secret to last. There are too many people who either know or suspect.”

* * *

Ernest Dresdan was relaxing in front of the TV with a beer when the phone rang. “Can you get that, please?” he called out. It was the first chance he had had to rest for several days.

A minute later, Mary joined him. “It’s Peter McCann. He says it’s important.”

Ernest reached out and took the phone from his wife. “G’day, Peter. What’s up?”

“Sorry to bother you at home, Ernest, but something happened at the council meeting tonight that I thought you’d want to know about. It’s likely to make your job a lot more complex over the coming weeks.”

Ernest frowned. “What is it?”

“It was supposed to have been an extraordinary meeting to discuss some drought relief issues, but there was a surprise vote – I had no warning because it wasn’t on the agenda. But the way the debate was cut short made it sound like it was organised ahead of time.”

“Spit it out, Peter.”

“I voted against it, of course, as did Joan and Veronica. I really don’t know what John’s got in mind – it just doesn’t make sense. He’s talking about a lasting tribute to Aunt Cynthia.”

“Peter...”

“The council voted to cut down The Tree. They’re calling it a safety measure, but there’s got to be more to it than that – the conniving way they did it makes that obvious. This is going to inflame the town.”

Ernest paled as he realised that Peter was right, and that he and his police force were going to be stuck in the middle. “Oh, shit.”

“Exactly! We have to do something to stop them.”

“But what can we do? The next council meeting isn’t for another four weeks. If they cut it down in the meantime, there’s nothing we can do.”

“We have to delay. Get the town folk out in force, while I work to try to get some of the votes changed back to something sensible.”

Ernest thought for a moment. “Did the question of the new Heart come up in the discussions?”

Peter snorted. “Are you joking? Of course it wasn’t mentioned. No one is going to go on record as believing the legend – even those of us who do! Even so, I’ve heard rumours that there isn’t another Heart. If there was, she would’ve stepped forward by now.”

Ernest debated with himself for a moment, then made a decision. He hoped he would be forgiven for betraying a confidence. “There is a new Heart, Peter, and I know who it is. But they need time – they’re not ready to commit under The Tree, yet.”

“There is? Who is it?”

“I can’t say. Sorry, but it was made clear to me I wasn’t to tell anyone. I’m stretching things just by saying something now.”

“You had better tell her that she doesn’t have much time. Unless we can stop the council, The Tree may not exist for much longer.”

“I’ll pass on the info, Peter. In the meantime we have to buy as much time as we can.”

A couple of minutes later, Ernest hung up. He was still thinking when a cup of tea appeared in front of him.

“I thought you could do with something to drink.” Mary Dresden settled into a chair with her own drink.

“Thanks, dear.” Ernest took a sip before continuing. “Peter’s told me that the council has voted to cut down The Tree.”

Mary nodded. “I thought it was something like that, from your side of the conversation. Well, what are we going to do about it?”

“Delay. We need to stall for as long as possible. Peter’s going to try to get some of the councillors to change their votes, but we have to stop them from cutting down The Tree in the meantime.”

Mary tapped her lips as she thought. “Vince needs to know – that’s the first thing. We should also see if there are any legal hurdles we can place in their path.”

“Ian can’t do that – he has the council as a client and that’s a definite conflict of interest. He’s a stickler for that sort of thing.”

“Then we need to consult with the other two lawyers in town. You know – the gay couple. They should have sympathies for Vince.”

Ernest grimaced. “I can’t do that. I need to be seen as impartial, or I lose any ability to influence what’s going on.”

Mary smiled. “Leave them to me. I’ll also ring a few of my friends and pass on the word. We should be able to start a protest against this that will make the council sit up and notice.”

“There are a few I can ring, too – just passing on the news without commentary, you understand.” Ernest winked.

“Of course, dear. I wouldn’t expect anything else.” Mary smiled.

Ernest pulled out his phone. “I’d better ring Rhys and see if I can get hold of Vince. I hate doing this – that young man doesn’t need this on his shoulders.”

“That’s true, but he’s not the only one who’s bearing the burden. He’s just the one out front. I think most of the town will support the new Heart.”

Ernest looked at Mary before he rang Rhys. “But how many will drop that support when they learn the new Heart is gay?”

Copyright © 2014 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It seems to me that for every notable tree, there exists somebody who wants to cut

it down. People can be such damned monkeys, can't they?

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/22/2013 12:21 PM, Stephen said:
It seems to me that for every notable tree, there exists somebody who wants to cut

it down. People can be such damned monkeys, can't they?

Very true. There is always someone who is anti for any cause.
Link to comment

This chapter had such a charming beginning only to end with knowledge of rotten machinations. I guess I should accept the bad with the good if I must.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/23/2013 02:27 AM, Ron said:
This chapter had such a charming beginning only to end with knowledge of rotten machinations. I guess I should accept the bad with the good if I must.
Unfortunately, that's life. Things are rarely all one way or the other.
Link to comment

From lovely birthday celebrations to cutting down the tree. Well, I hope there´ll be enough resistance to to be able to stop those narrow-minded people from taking away the tree. It´s always so sad when people want to destroy something old and something that means a lot to so many people.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/05/2014 06:53 PM, Suvitar said:
From lovely birthday celebrations to cutting down the tree. Well, I hope there´ll be enough resistance to to be able to stop those narrow-minded people from taking away the tree. It´s always so sad when people want to destroy something old and something that means a lot to so many people.
I agree, but unfortunately it happens all too often :(
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..