Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 3,073 Words
  • 1,860 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Heart of The Tree - 11. Part I - Who is The Heart? Chapter 9

The stunned silence that followed Vince’s confirmation was finally broken by a happy Mark.

“That’s great, then! All you need to do is marry Matt and this whole thing will be finished.”

Vince jumped up and took the two steps necessary to loom over Mark. The fury on his face erased Mark’s glee almost instantly.

“Marry Matt? What fucking planet do you live on?”

Bobby heard Mia draw in her breath at the angry swearing, but he kept his attention on Vince as he slowly rose to his feet. He had a feeling that he might need to intervene to stop someone from getting hurt.

“Rhys was wrong. There’s one thing worse than being gay in a small country town, and that’s being gay and out in a small country town. You’d have to be fucking dreaming to think I’m going tell the whole town!”

Vince then stepped back from Mark and threw a scowl around the room. His fury’s intensity appeared to drop a notch.

“It can’t happen, anyway. Didn’t you pay attention at the last election when the government changed the laws to make sure two guys can never get married? If I have to get married to heal The Tree, then goodbye Tree – it’s as good as dead.”

“Vince, I’m sorry...”

Vince turned on Rhys, who took an involuntary step back. Rhys looked afraid.

“Sorry? Sorry! Don’t give me ‘sorry’, you bastard! I’ve been hearing you bad-mouthing and joking about gays for years. Every single one of those times has hit me where it hurts the most. Despite that, I’ve wanted to think you’re my friend, but you crossed the line today. You’ve destroyed any chance I ever had of living here in peace. I hope you’re satisfied.”

Vince started to leave, his bitter glare intimidating everyone, preventing them from speaking. It was only when Vince was opening the door to the main part of the shop that Bobby realised he couldn’t let him go without saying something.

“You’re still my friend, Vince.”

Bobby watched anxiously as Vince paused. A single nod of the head, without turning, was his only acknowledgment. While Vince threaded his way through the maze towards the front door, Bobby stepped up to the meeting room doorway.

“Out of the way, Bobby. I’ve got to go after him.”

“Let him go, Rhys. He doesn’t want to see you at the moment,” Bobby whispered over his shoulder.

Rhys tried once more to push past, but then gave up.

“Do you love him, Vince?” Padma asked, her soft voice floating through the room to catch up to Vince before he left the shop.

Vince stumbled. He threw back a mixed look of despair and hope, then left the shop. Through the display window, Bobby saw him put his hands to his head and look around wildly, as if he was trying to work out what to do. Moments later, he strode out of sight.

“Why did you ask that, Padma?” Mia asked.

Bobby turned to face back into the room. Rhys was slowly pacing, fists clenched, looking distraught. Padma was walking beside him, one hand resting gently on his arm, whispering something. Everyone else was still sitting, though most were perched on the edge of their seat.

“Because he needs to know the answer.”

Bobby nodded to himself. If there was one thing that could bring everything to a happy conclusion, it would be Vince admitting he loved Matt, and Matt returning those feelings.

“I didn’t see it. I should’ve, but I didn’t,” Aunt Cynthia said, shaking her head. She looked frail.

“I don’t see how you could. We all know him well, and I don’t think anyone realised,” Mark said, as he rose to his feet and went over to put an arm around the old lady.

“The only time he ever asked me for advice was on how to tell a girl he wasn’t interested,” she continued, as if to herself. “Why didn’t I see it?”

“I probably know him better than anyone, and it never crossed my mind, either,” Mia said, shaking her head.

“Have I messed everything up? I didn’t know if I was doing the right thing or not,” Rhys said, wild-eyed.

“I don’t think he’ll forgive you for some time,” Bobby said, causing Rhys’s whole frame to slump. “But I think it’s better that it’s out in the open. If he’s the new Heart, then it must’ve been eating him up inside. Maybe now he’ll let himself go and start to heal.”

“I think it’s pretty definite he’s the one. I just don’t know what happens next,” Mark said.

Rhys’s eyes narrowed as a look of determination appeared.

“Fine. I think we need to spend as much time with him as we can on letting him know he’s still our friend. Since he won’t want me around, I’ll start working out an answer to the other part of the problem while you guys do that.”

“What other part?” Mia asked.

“How Matt and Vince can get married.”

When the shop bell rang to announce the arrival of a customer, Mia stood up and said, “I’ll get it, Aunt Cynthia. You stay here and rest.”

The old lady rose unsteadily to her feet. “No, dear. It might just be what I need. You stay here with your friends and work out what to do. I’ll look after things out there.”

“Are you sure? I don’t mind.”

She shook her head and smiled. It was only a shadow of her normal cheerful grin, but it was positive. “I’m sure. I don’t think I can help you now. It’s up to you young folk.” She headed through the door and closed it behind her.

“How are you going to do that, Rhys?” Mark asked.

A grin appeared on Rhys’s face. “If the law says they can’t get married, it’s time to find a loophole. To find a loophole, I’m going to need a lawyer. So, I’m going to see a couple of lawyers who should be sympathetic to the idea of two guys getting married: Patterson and McKaylee.”

Bobby frowned. “Are you sure? I’ll do it if you want. You didn’t seem to think much of them when you last mentioned them.”

For a moment, the mask slipped and they all saw how much anguish Rhys was feeling.

“I think I have to. I need to do this for me, as well as Vince,” Rhys whispered.

Padma stepped over and gave Rhys a hug, and while he relaxed in her grip, Mia pulled out her phone and dialed a number. A few seconds later, she put the phone down, showing disgust.

“Vince’s got his phone off. I’ll keep trying, but maybe we should just let him run off some steam. Sooner or later he has to calm down.”

The meeting broke up soon afterwards. Rhys headed off to work, Mia and Mark stayed to help Aunt Cynthia with the shop, and Padma and Bobby headed home.

Karen walked alongside Bobby, not saying anything. Bobby waited a few minutes before speaking.

“What is it, Karen?”

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t give me that. You wouldn’t be heading in this direction unless you wanted to say or ask something.”

They strolled along for several steps before Karen spoke again. “What do you think about Vince? About him being gay, I mean.”

Bobby shrugged. “He’s still my friend. If he’s in pain because of it, then I’d like to know what I can do to help him.” He glanced down at her as they turned into his street. “What about you?”

“It’s not Vince I’m wondering about.”

Bobby stopped and turned to face her. “What do you mean?”

She glanced around to see if there was anyone else in earshot. Seeing no one, she turned back to Bobby. “You’ve never given me a good reason why you keep turning me down. I can’t help wondering if you’re gay, too.”

Bobby turned away from the naked appeal he saw in her eyes. “That’s a very personal question.”

“You’re evading the issue. It’s true, isn’t it?”

Bobby started walking slowly. “No, it’s not true, but I think I can see why you thought it might be.”

“Talk to me, Bobby. Tell me why you keep turning me down.”

Bobby watched the children in the playground on the opposite side of the road. Their laughter drifted across to contrast with the seriousness of the conversation he was having with Karen.

“I’ve told you before, but you’ve never listened. I don’t think you’re willing to hear what I say.”

Bobby fell silent. He knew Karen was pestering him to explain, but he strolled along on autopilot as he thought about what he wanted. Coming from a house where his parents didn’t love each other, he’d promised himself that he’d wait until not only was he sure he loved someone, but that they loved him back. He liked Karen, but he found her frightening. She was destined for things he wouldn’t be able to keep up with. If he was at her side, he’d drag her down towards his level, and eventually she’d resent that. He didn’t want to risk that happening, so he turned her down.

After a few minutes of being ignored, Karen fell silent. She continued to match Bobby’s stride as he headed home. He sensed she wasn’t finished, but was just biding her time.

“Do you want to come in for a while?”

“Are your parents home?”

He shook his head. “They’ll both be out for hours.”

“Okay, then.”

He sighed to himself while he dreamed of the day that someone special wouldn’t bother asking, but would go into the house with him just for his own sake.

* * *

Aunt Cynthia was out the back, taking a break. Mark and Mia were in the main part of the shop, which was mercifully clear of customers. There’d been a steady stream for almost two hours after their meeting had broken up, and they were only just finding time to catch their breath and talk.

“Do you think Rhys has it right? That Matt’s gay and Vince is the new Heart?” Mark asked.

Mia pursed her lips as she stared out into space. It was a question she’d been asking herself ever since Vince had walked out.

“It all fits, but we were fooled by Pat. My instinct is to say yes, Vince is the one, but I don’t want to be disappointed again.”

Mark shook his head. “Who’d believe that about Vince? He just doesn’t seem the type.”

“The type? What type are you talking about?”

“Gay. He’s nothing like a girl, his fashion sense is only ordinary, and he likes sports. How can he be gay?”

Mia started to get angry. It had been really good that Mark had stuck around to help when he didn’t need to, but she thought his attitude at times left a lot to be desired. She was about to give him a piece of her mind, but he started to frantically backpedal.

“Not that there’s anything wrong with that! I know that not all gays are like that, but that’s what you see or hear about the most.”

Mia was mollified. She could appreciate what he was saying. It had just been the way he’d first said it that had upset her.

“Yeah, and the same applies to Matt.” She laughed. “All the time, I thought he was being a gentleman, when it was really that he just wasn’t interested.”

Mark gave her a wry grin. “No, he’s a gentleman as well. Even I recognise that about him.”

She gave him a quizzical look. “But you’ve always hated him!”

He looked away, embarrassed. “Yeah, but that never stopped me from knowing what sort of person he is.”

“You kept saying he couldn’t be trusted. That he was hiding something.”

He turned back to her. “I was right, too, wasn’t I?”

She sat upright, surprised. She wondered how Mark had been so perceptive.

“Did you know he was gay from the start?”

He shook his head. “No. There was just something about him that I didn’t trust, like there was something he wasn’t telling us. I had no idea of what it was, just that there was something.”

She smiled at him. “I’m going to have to pay more attention in future. You were right, assuming that Matt’s gay, of course.”

“Of course.”

Mark frowned. “I’ve got a problem, though.”

“What is it?”

“Assuming Rhys pulls off a miracle, and with him I’m not willing to bet against it, what do you give two guys for a wedding present?”

Mia stared for a second and then burst out laughing, to be joined by Mark.

* * *

Karen was talking about what she’d be doing if she got into the course she wanted at the University of New South Wales in Sydney. Bobby, as he often did, was enjoying her company, but only as a friend. He was scrupulous in making sure he never encouraged her beyond that point.

He was startled when he heard his phone beeping. Moments later, Karen’s phone beeped.

Pulling out his mobile, he flipped it open to read the text message he’d just received.

URGENT. Meet me @ Vs NOW.

Bobby quickly checked who’d sent the message: Rhys. He looked up to see Karen checking her phone.

“Did you just get an SMS from Rhys?”

She nodded. “Yes. He wants us at Vince’s house.”

She looked uncertain. Bobby could appreciate that. Rhys was not one to send out an SMS to everyone at the same time, let alone to mark it as urgent.

Bobby stood up and strode to the kitchen bench to pick up his car keys. “Come on. We’ll take my car. Let’s find out what he wants.”

Karen nodded as she lifted her phone to her ear while they walked out of the house. Moments later, she put it down again. “His phone’s engaged. I got his voice mail.”

Bobby nodded. “Everyone will be trying to call him. We’ll find out when we get there; let’s go.”

Getting into his Corolla, he reached over and unlocked the passenger door for Karen. He then turned the key. “Come on, baby. You can do it. Come on,” he said as he waited for the starter motor to get the engine going.

“Yes!” He turned to Karen. “Let’s go.”

As Bobby pulled out of the driveway, his phone started to ring. Without bothering to look, he passed it to Karen.

“It’s Padma,” she said when she checked the caller ID.

“Padma, it’s Karen.”

Guessing what the call was about, Bobby changed what he’d intended to do, and turned to the right instead of the left.

“We got the same message. Just a sec,” Karen said as she turned to Bobby. “She’s asking if we can pick her up.”

“Already on the way.”

“Did you hear that?” Karen said into the phone. “Okay, see you soon.”

* * *

Mark and Mia looked up from their phones at the same time. They didn’t need to speak to know they’d received the same message.

“I’ll get my car,” Mark said. He jumped to his feet and rushed out the door.

“Aunt Cynthia! We’ve got to go. Something’s gone wrong!”

The old lady appeared at the rear of the shop. “Go, dear. I’ll look after things here.”

“Thanks!” Mia said as she ran out the door. She looked around anxiously as she waited for Mark to show up. While she waited, she dialed Rhys’s number.

“It’s 2005. You know what to do.”

“Damn!” she muttered as she hung up.

The sound of a car horn attracted her attention. When she saw Mark’s car, she stepped between the parked cars in front of the shop and jumped in.

“I tried to ring him back, but I got his voice mail,” she said while she put on her seat belt.

Mark nodded. “One of the others probably got to him first. We’ll find out soon enough. Hang on.”

He spun the wheel and did an illegal U-turn across the road. The tyres screeched as he started to speed in the direction of Vince’s family farm.

“What do you think it’s about?” Mia asked him once they were out of the centre of town.

“No idea. Or rather, I don’t want to believe what I think it’s about.”

“What do you mean?”

He sighed heavily, though his concentration didn’t waver from the road. “Vince said Rhys ruined his chance to live in Mourton. I remember what Aunt Cynthia said about how much despair The Heart of The Tree must be in. I’m afraid we’re going to find that Vince has tried to check out – permanently.”

“Check out?” Mia asked, wondering what Mark was talking about.

He gave her a sideways glance. “Suicide.”

“No!” she said, putting both hands to her mouth. “Please, no!”

“I hope not, but that was the first thing that sprang to mind when I got that message.”

Mia stayed silent. She was afraid to speak. They drove in silence for a few minutes.

“That’s Rhys!” Mark said, when a motorbike overtook them.

“I thought he was already there,” Mia said as she watched the bike speeding away from them.

“Obviously he isn’t. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not. Why did he send that SMS if he wasn’t already there?”

Mia brought out her phone and read the message again.

“It says to meet him there, not to join him there. He must’ve heard or found out something. But what?”

“We’ll find out soon enough. We just have to be patient.”

When they reached the entrance to the Asters’ farm, Rhys was sitting on his bike at the side of the road, with the visor of his helmet up.

Mark pulled up next to him and Mia wound the window down.

“What’s going on, and why are you waiting here and not at the house?” Mia asked.

“I got a call from Vince’s mum. She’d just got home to find Vince’s room in a mess and a note on his bed. His ute’s gone, as well as a lot of his clothes. She said the note told her to ring me, and that he couldn’t stay at home any longer.”

Wide-eyed with trepidation, he stared at them.

“Vince has done a runner.”

Copyright © 2014 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Vince does a runner. Can't blame him. He must feel like it's all hopeless, but at

least he hasn't done anything more drastic.

Link to comment

Poor Vince! He must have felt terrible when Rhys told everyone he´s gay. I hope Vince is ok, probably hasn´t done anything to himself if he packed a bag to take with him. At least there´s a chance to get him back home safely.

Wonderful story :thumbup:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/05/2014 01:53 AM, Suvitar said:
Poor Vince! He must have felt terrible when Rhys told everyone he´s gay. I hope Vince is ok, probably hasn´t done anything to himself if he packed a bag to take with him. At least there´s a chance to get him back home safely.

Wonderful story :thumbup:

The end of the first part of the story. The next part of the journey starts from here.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..