Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 10,138 Words
  • 2,120 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Heart of The Tree - 21. Part III - The Heart Revealed. Chapter 19

The next morning, Jamie awoke to the sounds of Bobby stirring. Relishing the feel of lying in Bobby’s bed, he didn’t move for a couple of minutes. He sat up when the continuing noise made him feel guilty. He looked over the side of the bed.

“Morning, Bobby. Why don’t you get up here and lie in your bed for a bit? I think it’ll be my turn to sleep on the floor tonight.”

Bobby gave him a sheepish grin. “I’d like to refuse, since you’re the guest, but this floor wasn’t as comfortable as I’d hoped. I’ll find something for you to sleep on, though.”

Jamie admired Bobby’s body as the guy stood up and stretched, wearing only a pair of boxers. Jamie didn’t regret turning Bobby down the night before, but he couldn’t help wondering what would have happened if he’d said yes. From Jamie’s point of view, Bobby was highly desirable, because of both his physical appearance and his personality.

“Move over so I can get in,” Bobby said.

Jamie slipped out of the bed. “You lie there by yourself while I go have a shower. It’s still early, so try to get some rest.”

Bobby smiled as he lay down. “Thanks, mate. I really appreciate it.”

Jamie grinned back. “Now, if you can just tell me where I need to go?”

“Down the hallway to your left. It’s the second door.”

“Okay. I’ll see you soon.”

Jamie quickly selected some clothes and went to the door. After peering out to check if it was safe for him to go while dressed in just his underwear, he padded down to the bathroom and closed the door.

Twenty minutes later, Jamie returned to the bedroom. As he’d hoped, Bobby was sound asleep. A light sheet covered his lower body. Jamie dropped his dirty clothes onto the top of his closed bag and then left the room, carefully closing the door behind him.

He headed to the kitchen, nervous about the reception he’d get if either of Bobby’s parents were there. He sighed with relief when he found neither of them. After searching through a few cupboards, he made himself a cup of tea. He would’ve preferred coffee, but he couldn’t find any.

He was sipping his tea while staring out of the kitchen window and admiring the backyard garden, when he heard someone coming down the hallway. He looked around expecting to see Bobby, but it was Mrs. Elkington, wrapped up in a dressing gown.

She stopped for a moment in surprise, and then scowled at Jamie as she entered the room. After glancing around and seeing they were alone, she narrowed her eyes. “What did you do to my son, and what will it take for you to leave him alone?”

“I didn’t do anything!” Jamie said, edging back against the kitchen sink.

“Don’t give me that! Until you showed up, Bobby was a normal boy, but you’ve turned him into a sexual pervert.” She almost spat the words at Jamie.

“I’ve done nothing of the sort,” Jamie said, raising his voice slightly and hoping that Bobby would wake up and hear them. He wasn’t physically intimidated, but Mrs. Elkington had an almost manic intensity about her.

“Do you expect me to believe that? Do you think I’m a fool? I’ve heard about what your sort do, and I can see the evidence with what you’ve done to my son. He used to be a nice boy, but now I’m ashamed of what he’s become.”

Jamie stiffened as the words sank in. He scrambled desperately to try to counteract her assumptions.

“Bobby is one of the sweetest and kindest guys I’ve ever met. He barely knows me, but since he heard what my dad did, he’s shown the sort of generous nature that all parents should want their children to have. You should be proud of him, not ashamed. There aren’t many people who’d do what he’s done.”

“He barely knows you? Exactly how long has he known you?”

Jamie realised he’d made a mistake, but he had warned Bobby that he was bad at lying. “I met him in person for the first time yesterday.”

“Yesterday!” Bobby’s mother said, shocked. “You corrupted my son in only one day?”

“He didn’t corrupt me, Mum. Jamie’s a gentleman,” Bobby said as he entered the kitchen. His face was set in a stern mask as he walked to Jamie, but he kept his focus on his mother.

Bobby was wearing only a pair of shorts, and normally Jamie would’ve been drooling over the body that was on display, but the tension in the air short circuited any amorous thoughts.

Bobby stopped next to Jamie and put an arm across his shoulders.

“I will kindly ask you to stop harassing my friend, Mum. He’s here because I want him here, and if he’s not welcome, then I’ll take that as meaning I’m not welcome either.”

“Bobby...” Jamie said.

“This is still my house, young man! If you want to set rules, then you should do so in your own place. I will not have my home turned into a den of iniquity, no matter what you threaten!”

“If that’s the way you want it, Mum,” Bobby said, glaring at her.

“Bobby, can I have a quiet word?” Jamie asked. He noticed Mrs. Elkington’s expression was matching her son’s.

“Later,” Bobby said out of the side of his mouth.

“No, now. It’s important.”

Bobby broke eye contact with his mother to look at Jamie.

“Please?” Jamie asked.

Bobby nodded and looked back at his mother. “We’re going outside for a bit.”

She sniffed. “When you come back you’d better know whose son you are, because you’re currently not the boy I raised.”

Bobby narrowed his eyes but didn’t say anything. He led Jamie out into the garden. When they were outside, and in full view of the kitchen window where his mum was watching, Bobby stopped and pulled Jamie into an embrace.

Jamie pushed back and hit Bobby on the chest. “Stop it!”

Bobby’s harsh expression had disappeared. He looked crushed. “I’m sorry, I thought you’d like that.”

“That wasn’t why you did it. You’re trying to antagonise your mum, and you’re using me to do it.”

“If she gets concerned enough she’ll speak to Dad, and then maybe they’ll start working together.”

Jamie shook his head. “Don’t you see? All you’re doing is making her mad at you, and you’re most likely going to alienate her. You said you love your parents and don’t want to lose either of them. I’m telling you that if you keep going the way you are, you’re going to lose your mum and possibly your dad, without succeeding in anything else. Do you really prefer to have no parents, instead of two parents that don’t live together?”

Bobby winced and dropped his head. “No,” he whispered.

“You want me to help you get through your parents’ divorce, so I’m telling you that what you’re doing is so wrong it’ll be a complete disaster.”

Bobby looked up. “What I need from you is something that will keep my parents together.”

Jamie shook his head. “I can’t do miracles, and that’s what you’re asking for. I can help you get used to the fact, but from the little I’ve seen, the only way for your parents to be happy is for them to separate. I may’ve just experienced them at their worst, but I don’t think so.”

Bobby made a face. “No, that’s pretty well what they’re like all the time.”

“Then go inside and apologise. We can work out somewhere else for me to stay and then we can talk, but my being here is just causing problems.”

“No. That’s one thing I’m insisting on – that you stay here. We’ll work out the rest, but I don’t want you moving out.” Bobby’s face was grim.

“It’ll be better for everyone...”

“No! And that’s it.”

Jamie paused. He had to admit that spending more time with Bobby was tempting, but the pain in the house brought back too many bad memories.

“It’s not up to you, Bobby. I’m going to pack up and leave today. I can’t stay here.”

“Please? I really need you to stay. I’ll be good, I promise. I’ll go in now and apologise, and I’ll stop making out you’re my boyfriend. Just stay? You won’t see my parents a lot anyway, as they rarely spend much time in the house.”

Jamie’s resolve weakened and he nodded his head. Before he could qualify that acceptance, Bobby had gone back inside.

Jamie watched through the kitchen window as Bobby talked to his mum. He could tell there were some angry words spoken by her, and the way that Bobby hung his head appeared to indicate that he was accepting whatever rebuke she was dishing out. At one point Bobby looked up and shook his head. Jamie guessed that was in response to Mrs. Elkington repeating her demand that Jamie leave.

He turned away so he wouldn’t have to watch. Strolling around the garden, he admired the care that had been lavished and the multitude of plants that blended into a harmonious whole. Gardening was not something that Jamie enjoyed but he recognised that someone had spent a lot of time in that place.

When Jamie heard the door opening, he looked around to see Bobby heading out. He was carrying a tray that bore two mugs, a couple of plates and a small stack of toast.

“Okay, that’s done. I’ve told her that we’ll be good and that there’ll be no kissing, hugging or holding hands around them. I’ve also promised that we’ll sleep in separate beds – we’re going to buy a camp bed this morning while we’re at the hardware store,” Bobby said. “I thought we could have breakfast out here.”

“Wait a minute. That sounds like she still thinks you’re gay,” Jamie said.

Bobby walked over to one of the raised garden beds and placed the tray on the corner post. He stood up and gave Jamie a pleading look.

“I didn’t say I was, but I didn’t say I wasn’t. You don’t have to play along, but I’d appreciate it if you didn’t say anything.”

Jamie stared for a moment. “I think you’re making a mistake.”

“I’m not going to rub their faces in it, but I think they just might talk to each other if they think I’m gay. Please, just let me try?”

“Okay.” Jamie sighed and then joined Bobby by the tray. “Breakfast looks good.”

“I didn’t know what you like, so I thought I’d keep it simple with toast. Do you prefer tea or coffee? I’ve got one of each. I drink both, so don’t worry about what I’d like.”

Jamie laughed. “Okay, I’ll take the coffee.”

* * *

Vince stopped the ag-bike and turned off the engine while he looked around at the paddock. “Oh, fuck.”

“What is it?” Matt asked. He’d been enjoying sitting behind Vince, his arms wrapped around his boyfriend’s waist, while they took an early morning trip around the property. The four-wheeled bike was fun to ride, and spending time with Vince made it even better in Matt’s view.

“I don’t think anyone looked after the place while I was away. Look over there,” Vince said, pointing. “We’ve got blackberries coming up, and if we don’t get onto them quickly, they’ll start to take over.”

Reluctantly, Matt let go so he could stand up and check out what Vince was indicating. “Yeah, I see them. Can we get some spraying done before everyone arrives?”

Vince sighed. “Of course we can, but this confirms I can’t leave the place to go to uni with you. If I do, things will start falling apart. You saw the state of that gate: it’s still busted and it looks like the bull broke it days ago. That should’ve been fixed as soon as it happened.”

“Maybe that was just because they were all out looking for you?”

“No. It was starting to happen beforehand. There were too many things that if I didn’t do them they didn’t get done. Dad is busy all the time, but there are more and more things he’s just not able to do anymore.”

Matt was silent as he dropped back down. He put his arms around Vince and rested his head on Vince’s shoulder. Vince responded by laying his head against Matt’s.

“I just don’t know what to do.” Vince slumped in the seat.

“We’ll work something out. I’m not going to let you just slip away from me,” Matt said. He squeezed Vince to try to cheer him up.

“If it’s a choice between you and the farm, I think I’ll choose you, but I wouldn’t be happy having to make a choice,” Vince said.

Matt’s first thought was to express mock outrage about the words “I think”, but he stayed silent. He understood the connection Vince had with the land, and it was not the time to be flippant. Matt didn’t know what the answer was going to be, but he knew they would have to try to find one. Vince would always have a regret in his mind if following Matt meant losing the farm.

“This is not something we have to work out between just the two of us, Vince. We’ll talk to your friends this afternoon when they come around. Maybe one of them will have an idea on what to do.”

“I’d hoped that this afternoon would be just friends getting together to have a good time, but you’re right. We’ll ask them and see what they think. In the meantime, I think we need to get moving.”

“Head back to the shed and get the spraying gear?” Matt asked.

Vince shook his head. “Let’s check the rest of the place. The spraying needs to be done, but another hour or two, or even a day or two, isn’t going to hurt. I want to see what else needs to be done.” He gave a bitter laugh. “And knowing our luck, we’ll be out of Roundup or dye and will have to go into town to get some more.”

Vince started the engine and then headed to the next paddock. Matt still enjoyed the ride, but the shine had been taken off it.

* * *

“So, what are we looking for?” Jamie asked as they got out of Bobby’s car. They were parked outside the hardware store.

“A new hose for the girl, a camp bed for me to sleep on, and whatever else strikes our fancy,” Bobby said.

“I’ll take the camp bed – you can sleep in your own bed. I think that’s fair.”

“No, you’re the guest – you get the bed. It’s not up for discussion, but if you disagree, I’ll arm wrestle you and the winner gets their way,” Bobby said. He grinned and flexed his arms.

Jamie gave him a wry half-smile. “I don’t think I have any chance of winning, so I’ll let it slide... for now. Let’s go in and see what we can find. Have you got the details of the hose you need?”

“I’m going to show Alex the problem and let him work it out. It’s easier than tracking down the right part number.”

“Alex? Who’s he?”

“Alex Landeau is my car mentor. He’s the son of the store owner, so he makes sure there’s always a good collection of spare parts. I know a lot about engines and cars, but he knows more, and he’s been helping me out whenever I’m restoring something,” Bobby said. “I’d also prefer it if you didn’t mention that to my friends.”

“Why not?”

As they entered the shop, Jamie paused to let Bobby take the lead.

“Because they think I’m doing all of it myself. I don’t want them to know that I’m getting expert help. I’ve got an image to maintain,” Bobby said.

Jamie laughed. “Okay. Image is important, and I wouldn’t want yours tarnished. I wouldn’t mind chatting with him myself. I like to tinker, but I don’t think I’m in yours or his league.”

“You’ve got to start somewhere. I’ve always liked mechanical things. They...”

“They what?” Jamie asked.

Bobby paused before he answered. “I can understand them, unlike people.”

Jamie glanced at Bobby, who had slowed down but was still moving towards the back of the store. The bigger guy had a distant expression on his face.

“No one understands people. There are those that think they do, and maybe they get it right most of the time, but there’s always someone who’ll trip them up,” Jamie said.

Bobby shook himself out of his introspection and grinned at Jamie. “Enough of that. Let’s go find Alex. My girlfriend needs a new part and I need a place to sleep.”

Alex was in the yard behind the store – where the timber, piping and other large items were stored – cross-checking items against a clipboard he was carrying. He looked up as Bobby and Jamie approached, and his round, freckled face broke into a smile.

“Bobby! Good to see you, mate. Merry Christmas!”

“Merry Christmas, Alex. I’d like you to meet Jamie. Jamie, this is our local mechanical miracle worker, the wizard of whirring and all-round nice guy, Alex.”

“G’day, Jamie. Bobby’s been smoking something, so ignore everything he’s just said.”

Jamie shook Alex’s hand. “I can definitely say he’s been doing nothing of the sort, since I’ve been with him non-stop since breakfast.”

Alex’s eyes went wide with surprise. He looked at Bobby.

“Jamie is staying with me for a couple of weeks, so I’m going to need a camp bed as well as some essential supplies.”

Alex’s forehead wrinkled. “Has that got something to do with the shiner you’ve got, Jamie? You can tell me it’s none of my business, if you like.”

“My dad punched me and kicked me out. I need a place to stay until my mum comes home from Perth, and Bobby’s putting me up.”

Alex made a face. “I’m sorry to hear that, mate. I’ve got a great mum and dad, but some parents deserve to be dropped off a cliff.”

Jamie shrugged. “I haven’t seen a lot of him since my parents divorced, so it’s no big deal. I know where I stand with him now, and that’s the end of that.”

“Well, you couldn’t have fallen in with a better guy than Bobby,” Alex said.

“True, very true,” Jamie said, turning to grin at the guy in question.

Bobby blushed. “Cut it out. Alex, I need a new hose for the girl. Can you come out and have a look at her? Jamie found the leak, so I know which one needs to be replaced, but it’s easier to show you than explain.”

“Sure. Give me a few minutes to finish up what I was doing and I’ll be with you. You’re parked out front?”

“Yep. We’ll see you soon. If we’re not there, we’ll be checking out camp beds.”

Bobby and Jamie headed back inside while Alex returned to his stock check.

After purchasing a simple bed and putting it in the back of the car, Bobby and Jamie put the bonnet up and started to examine the engine.

“They certainly made them simpler in those days,” Jamie said.

“I know. The modern engines are more efficient, but they depend so much on real-time monitoring and other fancy gadgets that they’re also a lot more complex.”

They were still chatting when Alex arrived. It only took a minute for Bobby to point out the piece that needed replacing.

“Hmm... I’ll have to check if we have anything in stock. It doesn’t look urgent, though.”

“No, it’s not. It only showed up on the way back from Dubbo after picking up Jamie,” Bobby said.

“Dubbo? Is that where you’re from, Jamie?”

“Yep. I normally live there with my mum, but she went away for Christmas, so I moved in with my dad – until he kicked me out.”

They walked back into the store. Alex started leading them to the automotive section. “And how do you know Bobby?”

Jamie looked at Bobby. He wasn’t sure how to answer the question.

“I was with Vince and a friend of his when the friend got a call saying that Jamie needed a place to stay, so I volunteered my place,” Bobby said.

Alex frowned. “What about your parents? Are they okay with Jamie staying?”

Bobby shook his head. “Nope, but they’re going to put up with it. I threatened to move out if they wouldn’t let him stay.”

Alex stopped in front of a large collection of engine hoses. He started to scan them for the required part. “I can’t see that they would’ve taken that well. What made them give in?”

“They’ve managed to get the impression that Jamie’s my boyfriend, and so they’re scared I’ll run off with him if they aren’t careful.”

Alex had just picked up a replacement hose when that statement was made. The hose fell to the floor and Alex’s head snapped around to stare at Bobby and then at Jamie.

“But... but... you’re straight!”

Bobby laughed. “I know, but they don’t think so at the moment.”

“How did they get that idea?”

Jamie wasn’t comfortable with what Bobby had done, but it was also clear that Bobby considered Alex a good friend, and one that would be able to handle the truth. A quick glance around showed there was no one else in earshot.

“My dad punched me after I told him I’m gay. When I told Bobby’s parents that, they freaked,” Jamie said.

Alex stood there open-mouthed. Bobby reached down and picked up the hose from the floor. “Is this the part I need, Alex?”

Alex nodded his head, his eyes fixed on Jamie. Jamie started to squirm and thought it might be a good idea if Alex and Bobby could speak privately.

“Do you mind if I wander around the store for a bit?” Jamie asked.

“Sure, go ahead,” Bobby said. “I’ll find you when it’s time to go.”

Jamie headed off but stopped when he was at the end of the aisle. A quick look over his shoulder showed Alex and Bobby with their heads close together, talking quietly. Jamie didn’t mind people knowing he’s gay, but he didn’t like being forced to tell them. Most of the time he didn’t consider it relevant, and so he wouldn’t mention it. However, he recalled that he’d told Bobby he didn’t like hiding the fact, so maybe Bobby had misunderstood what that meant. He would have to clarify things with Bobby when he got a chance.

* * *

“Thanks for having us around,” Bobby said to Vince.

Vince grinned, but his grin quickly faded. “No problem. I wanted to see everyone, but I also wanted to be able to be with Matt, and yesterday at the pub was hard.”

Jamie smiled. “I remember when it was like that. Yeah, it can be really frustrating, not being able to show how much you care for someone, just because you’re in public.”

Vince contemplated Jamie. “So you’re over it now?”

Jamie made a face and rocked his head indecisively. “I think so, but since I’ve been single for the last year, I really won’t know until I meet someone again.”

“What happened?” Vince asked.

“He moved to Sydney, and I stayed in Dubbo. It’s one of those things that happens when you finish school. We ended up at different unis and that was it. We talked a bit at first, but I haven’t spoken to him for months.”

Vince looked at Matt, worry written across his face.

“Don’t worry, Vince. We’ll work things out. I’m not going to let a little thing like that stop us from getting to know each other. We’ll find a way to stay together,” Matt said, smiling to reassure the younger guy.

“Who else is here?” Bobby asked.

“Everyone except Padma. Mark brought Karen and Mia, and Rhys rocked up a couple of minutes ago. I’ll fire up the barbecue shortly, but they’re all out the front,” Vince said. He grinned at Jamie. “I’ll introduce you to the others.”

After quick introductions and after Warren had arranged drinks for the newcomers, they all settled down in the shade of the ghost gum that dominated the area in front of the house.

Vince whispered something to Matt and Matt nodded.

“I know we all really just want to have a good time, but Vince and I have got a problem that we hope someone might be able to help us with,” Matt said.

“I can get you condoms, but the rest is up to you,” Rhys replied.

Vince blushed. “Shut up, Rhys. It’s not about that.”

“Then what is it?” Rhys asked, in a more serious tone.

“Matt’ll be going back to uni at the end of January, and we don’t know what to do when that happens,” Vince said.

“Aren’t you going to uni, too? Didn’t you get in?” Mark asked.

“That’s the problem. My marks are good enough to get in, but if I go, Dad can’t look after the farm by himself. If I go, we risk losing the farm. If I stay, I risk losing Matt.”

“You won’t lose me that easily,” Matt told Vince. He turned to the rest of the group. “But it’s definitely a problem. We’re not sure what to do, and we’re hoping someone will have some ideas.”

Shane jumped up and started waving wildly. “Come on, people. Let’s put our thinking caps on and come up with a solution for the lovebirds.”

Karen sneered. “This from the guy who’s so stupid he didn’t know who Australia’s playing in the cricket. We don’t need you telling us what to do, fairy boy.”

Shane froze and then slowly turned to face Karen.

“Karen!” Mia shouted.

Matt glared. “I think that was uncalled for.”

Shane held up a hand. “Stop, everyone. I think I can handle this myself.” He stared down at Karen. “All right, then. Your friends think you’re supposed to be the smart one, though I’m having my doubts. What are your ideas?”

Karen sniffed. “I am smart – I was top in our year at school by an easy margin. I don’t need you to tell me otherwise.”

Shane opened his eyes wide and flopped his right hand at her, mockingly. “Oh, yes. The ability to remember the definition of an invertebrate, or the ability to plug numbers into a formula – definite signs of being smart. You seem to think that being smart means knowing things. Okay, here’s a question for you. How many types of dragons are there in Australia?”

“Stupid question. None, of course.” Karen turned her head away in disdain.

“Au contraire! Australia has over sixty species of dragons. However, unlike you, I think not knowing that fact makes you ignorant, not stupid.”

Karen turned back and scowled at him. “Yeah, in your fantasy. Unlike you, I live in the real world. There are no such things as dragons.”

“Now you’re showing stupidity. Just because something doesn’t fit your world model, you dismiss it out of hand. You’ve made no attempt to determine whether there is any evidence behind my statement. For your information, Australia has a dragon as its national reptile emblem.”

“What are you talking about? Dragon’s don’t exist!” Karen’s face was going red.

Shane shook his head mockingly. “I’ve given you all the leads you needed and you’ve just ignored them. That’s not smart. Since you seem to think that knowing facts makes you smart, you should know that dragons are an official part of the lizard genre. The best known one is the Frilled Lizard, also known as the Frill-neck Lizard. You’ve heard of it, haven’t you? It used to be the two-cent coin.”

“Don’t mock me!” Karen said.

Shane looked at her sadly. “Haven’t you worked out that knowing things doesn’t make you smart? If that was the definition of smart, computers would be smart, and you should know that computers are amongst the dumbest things around – they will do whatever they’re told, no matter how stupid. Being smart is the ability to analyse and solve problems. Well, we have a problem here that needs a solution – you’re on the spot. Let’s find out how smart you really are. What’s the answer?”

He put his hands on his hips and stared down at her. She sat there, open-mouthed.

“No? Nothing? Well, how about shutting up and listening, then. You might be able to contribute, but I’m beginning to doubt that you have the brains to solve a problem that involves real-world things, like people.” Shane turned his back on her and looked around at the others. “Anyone?”

Everyone was looking gobsmacked at Shane’s handling of Karen. Warren was the first to recover.

“I’ve already told Dad that I’m willing to send money to pay for someone to come out and help, but he’s gone stubborn and doesn’t want to accept it,” Warren said, scowling back at the house.

“Oh, that’s an easy one,” Shane said. He winked. “Pay someone directly, and then tell your dad if he doesn’t use them, the money’s wasted. He won’t be happy, but he’ll use them because he’s not the sort that likes to see money going down the drain.”

Warren was startled and then grinned. “Brilliant! You’re exactly right, and I even know whom to see. One of the guys I went to school with now works as a farm contractor. I’ll ring him later.

“But that’s not going to be enough. I can probably afford to pay for maybe eight hours a week, but that’s about it. The farm needs more than that.”

“Vince, how much of the work can be done with unskilled labour?” Bobby asked.

“A reasonable amount, but experience will make it easier and quicker. Why?”

“You’ve been at school five days a week for most of this year. You’ve only had a few hours a day plus weekends to work, and you haven’t spent all that time on the farm. I was thinking I could come here after work two or three days a week to help out. It may not be enough, but it’ll help.”

Vince stared. “You’ll do that?”

Bobby smiled. “It’s not going to be forever, and yeah, I’ll do it to help out. That’s what mates are for.”

“So, we have Warren contributing a day a week and Bobby maybe another day. How much more do we need to keep this place going?” Shane asked.

Matt looked at Vince. “We’re only two hours away. We can get back here most weekends, and there are two of us, so that’s double time. What do you think?”

“Wait a moment there, Mattie. You two need a social life and study time, too. I think you should limit yourself to every second weekend, but it’s a good idea,” Shane said.

“If they’re coming back, I don’t see why I can’t do the same and help out,” Rhys said. An evil grin appeared on his face. “My dad will be overjoyed to see me back that often, which is a nice added bonus.”

“Same for me, except for the part about Rhys’s dad,” Mark said.

Vince looked around at everyone, an expression of dumb amazement on his face. “I... I...”

“It sounds like it’s settled,” Shane said, smiling. He turned to Karen. “Problem solved, or at least postponed for a while. Thank you very much for your contribution.”

She snarled at him. “You think you’re so smart.”

He lifted his hand and placed the forefinger on his cheek as he drew his head back. “Moi? You must be mistaken. Warren, Bobby and Matt are the smart ones – everyone else just followed their lead. But of course, you’re so smart you must’ve worked that out for yourself. When you show yourself as smart as them, you can call me fairy boy. Until then, you haven’t earned the right.”

“Shane...” Matt said in a warning tone.

Shane grinned sheepishly. “Sorry, Karen. I go a bit over the top at times. No hard feelings?”

He flung out his right arm and flopped his hand down at the wrist, clearly expecting her to shake hands. There was a distinct pause before she stood up and accepted.

“Ouch! You don’t have to squeeze that hard!” Shane said.

“I’m going inside for a bit,” Karen said, and stalked into the house.

Mia scrambled to her feet. “I’d better go check on her.” When Mark made to follow her, Mia shook her head. “No, you stay here.”

Rhys raised an eyebrow at Shane. “Don’t you think you might’ve gone too far?”

“That’s the second time she’s called me fairy boy, and I thought she needed to be slapped down. I may’ve slapped too hard, but I don’t regret doing it.”

Bobby walked over and put a hand on Shane’s shoulder. Shane turned to look at the bigger guy and got a smile in response.

“Karen is smart, but she’s also very insecure. In some ways, being smart is the only thing she thinks she’s got going for her. You didn’t see how she organised things when we were looking for Vince, making sure we maximised our chances, and fretting the whole time that she was leading us all astray. You’ve hit her in the one area where she thinks she’s strong. Will you go and sincerely apologise, as a favour for me, if nothing else?”

Shane blushed and dropped his head. “Okay,” he said in a soft voice. He headed into the house.

“Did Karen really do all of that?” Vince asked.

“She did,” Mark said. “Since she doesn’t have a car, she left the rest of us to do the legwork, but she kept track of everything that was going on, and made sure we didn’t waste our time by checking places that someone else had already searched.”

“She worked really hard, Vince. We all did. None of us wanted you gone,” Rhys said in an uncharacteristically tender voice.

Vince stood up and turned to stare over the nearby paddocks. With his back to the others, he raised a hand and wiped it across his face. Matt joined him and put an arm around his waist.

“I wonder what’s going on around the other side of the house,” Rhys said, turning his back on Matt and Vince. “I’ll think I’ll just go and see.”

The others all followed, giving the couple some privacy.

“I know Vince was going to do it, but I’ll start the barbecue. He can have the day off,” Warren said.

When the food was ready, Jamie volunteered to go inside to get Mia, Karen and Shane, who hadn’t returned. He found them sitting around the kitchen table. Karen and Shane were having a spirited discussion. Mia smiled at Jamie as he entered, but the other two didn’t notice him.

“Okay, I’ll concede that we’re talking about a three-year period, and it’s unrealistic to expect Bobby, Rhys and Mark to help out for that long, but while they’re enthusiastic, we’re buying time to come up with other ideas,” Shane said.

“Shows what you know. Bobby will do it. He’s never gone back on his word – he’s the most loyal friend I know,” Karen said, glaring across the table.

Shane lifted both hands. “Peace! I don’t know him that well, so I’ll take your word for it. Now, I loved your ideas for maximising the financial benefits that Vince can apply for, but I’m not keen on him deferring his course for a year just so he can get a job and qualify as an independent for government funding. This is a critical time for those two and being apart for a year isn’t good.”

“What if he gets a job in Dubbo? He’ll be near Matt, and after a year he gets more money for his course,” Karen said.

“But that means we’d need to support the farm for an extra year,” Shane said.

Jamie coughed loudly. “The food’s ready. If you want some, you’d better be quick. Bobby’s already claimed half of it, and Matt was eyeing the other half very possessively.”

Shane and Karen looked up in surprise.

“Oh, hi, Jamie. We’ll be right with you,” Shane said. He turned to Karen as he got to his feet. “We can continue this later. Thanks, Karen. I think we’re getting there.”

Karen’s lips twisted, as if she were trying to resist smiling. She nodded.

* * *

“Remember, guys, I’m driving, so feel free to drink if you want to,” Warren told Matt and Vince as they walked up to The Nacho Nirvana.

“I might have one or two, but I don’t want to get plastered and say or do something stupid,” Vince said.

“Don’t worry, Vince. If you do something stupid, I’ll just top it and everyone will be looking at me instead,” Shane said.

“Relax,” Warren said, giving his brother an encouraging smile. “You’ll be fine. Just be yourself and no one will care.”

“Matt, you understand what I’m talking about, don’t you?”

“I do, but Warren’s also right. Don’t think there’s a sign painted on your forehead, because there’s not. Just have fun and don’t worry about things.”

Vince was still apprehensive when they entered the restaurant. He was worried that he would out himself to everyone there, because he had to keep stopping himself from reaching out and grabbing Matt’s hand. If he lost control after a few drinks, he was sure the news would be all over town by the next morning.

“Warren, Vince! Good to see you again. And you two must be Matt and Shane. Mia’s organised a table in the back corner so you’ll have some privacy.” Paul winked at the guys. “I’m going to be your waiter tonight, so don’t worry that I might overhear things I shouldn’t.”

“What... what do you mean?” Vince asked. He wondered what Mia had told her younger brother.

Paul grinned. “Mia’s told me what’s going on and I’ve promised not to say anything, but I wouldn’t mind a word with you when you’ve got a chance. I’ve something I want to ask you, but for now I’ll just take you to your table. You’re the first ones here.”

Vince glanced at Matt, worried that word was already getting out. Matt smiled and ushered Vince to go ahead. Paul had already taken a few steps and was waiting for them to follow.

They ended up at the table in the niche at the back right hand corner. The light was lower there, and the internal wall that enclosed the entrance to the kitchen meant that there were walls on three sides. Matt and Vince slid around to the far side, where they could sit facing everyone and not worry about anyone behind them. As soon as they sat down, Matt reached out below the level of the table and took Vince’s hand. Vince jerked upright in surprise and then smiled at Matt as he realised that only the people sitting beside them would be able to see what they were doing.

“Would you like anything to drink?” Paul asked.

Everyone ordered beers, except for Shane, who asked for a glass of red wine. A couple of minutes later, Paul was back.

“Here you are,” Paul said as he handed out the drinks. Once he’d finished, he straightened up and then bit his lip as he stared at Vince. He opened his mouth, but then shook his head.

“You said you had a question for me,” Vince said, guessing at why Paul was hesitating.

Paul nodded and slid into the seat opposite. “If you don’t mind. It can wait, if you prefer.”

“Ask away,” Vince said, though he was nervous about what Paul’s question would be.

Paul gave Vince a sheepish grin. “There’s this girl that I really want, but I don’t know how to get her to notice me. I thought you’d have some ideas.”

Vince stared. It was the last topic he had expected. “Why are you asking me?”

“Well... I thought you’d know, with everything that’s going on. You’re only a few years older than me, and you’re in love, so you must know what it takes… don’t you?”

Vince glanced at Warren, Matt and Shane while trying desperately to think of something to say. Warren just grinned. Shane put both elbows on the table, rested his face in his palms, and stared across at Vince with an eager expression. Below the table, Matt squeezed Vince’s hand.

“Why don’t you get her something? What music does she like?” Matt asked.

Paul looked blank. “Uh...”

“Does she read books?” Matt asked.

“Oh, yeah! Lots.” Paul smiled, relieved that he was able to answer the question.

“What sort? Romance, adventure, action, historical, fantasy… or something else?” Matt asked.

“Umm... romance?”

“You don’t seem too sure,” Matt said, raising an eyebrow.

“How am I supposed to know? I haven’t gotten her to talk to me yet,” Paul said defensively.

“What about sports? Does she play any?” Vince asked, picking up on the lead that Matt had given him.

“Tennis, I think.”

Vince smiled at Paul. “It sounds like you don’t really know her that well. Why do you want her if you don’t know what she likes or what she does?”

“But she’s absolutely the best! There’s no one else in our class even close to as good looking as she is!”

“So, you’re basing this on her looks. Don’t you think there’s more to a person that what they look like? How about getting to know a bit more about her and then deciding if she’s the one for you?” Vince asked.

Paul had a faint frown on his face. “I get what you’re saying.” He stood up and nodded to Vince. “Thanks, Vince. I really appreciate it.” Paul looked at Matt and smiled. “I thought Vince was the one to ask since he’s the new Heart, but it looks like you two are a team. I’m really happy for both of you. Good luck with everything!” He started to walk away.

“Wait a minute,” Vince said, panicking. “What was that you just said?”

Paul turned back. “I said I’m really happy for both of you.”

“No, before that, about The Heart.”

Paul chuckled. “Mia was the same. You’re the new Heart, which means you’re taking over from Aunt Cynthia, but it looks like it’s you and Matt together that we need to see for advice. Anyway, I’ve got to get back to work. See ya!”

He was gone before Vince could react.

Vince’s mind went into a spin and he couldn’t make any sense of what was going on. He was sure he should, but his brain wasn’t functioning. He turned to Matt. “What was he talking about?”

Matt shrugged. “No idea.”

“I think I know,” Warren said slowly, staring in the direction that Paul had disappeared. “Aunt Cynthia’s always been the person to go to if you want relationship advice, and we’ve all learnt that she was The Heart of The Tree – The Lovers’ Tree. Mia’s told Paul that you’re the new Heart, and he thinks that means you’re now the one to see, instead of Aunt Cynthia.”

“But I can’t do that! I know nothing about girls, for starters. This is not my responsibility!” Vince said.

“That may be true, but I think you and Matt did a good job with Paul. You’ll do well, as long as you do it together,” Shane said.

“But I don’t want to! This isn’t supposed to be happening to me!” Vince said.

“Steady, Vince. We don’t have to do this if we don’t want to. All you need to say is that you can’t help them and they’ll get the hint,” Matt said.

“And if you want to help out people who need it, Matt does this sort of thing all the time with the guys at uni,” Shane said.

“Now you just wait a minute. That’s about other guys, not girls! I’m in the same situation as Vince when it comes to understanding women,” Matt said to Shane.

Warren laughed. “I don’t think any guy understands women, though some think they do. No, I agree with both Shane and Matt. You two did fine with Paul, and common sense will see you through most things, but if you really don’t want to, you don’t have to. Some people’ll just ask because they’re too lazy to work things out for themselves, or just to confirm the answers they already know.”

“I don’t want this. I don’t need this! I just want to be able to relax and be able to spend my life with Matt. Is that too much to ask for?” Vince said.

The other guys were still calming Vince down when Mia arrived.

“Sorry, I’m late.”

“That’s okay. We were early,” Matt said. He looked at his watch. “Actually, you’re early, too – just not as early as us.”

Mia smiled. When Shane rose to his feet, the two exchanged pecks on the cheek.

“Hmm... that’s a lovely fragrance, Mia-mine. It’s not Chanel, though, is it?” Shane asked.

Mia chuckled. “No, it’s not. I thought I’d try something different tonight.”

“Before you two start swapping stink stories, will you tell me what you told your brother, and who else you’ve been blabbing to?” Vince asked, his anxiety making the tone sharper than he’d intended.

Mia dropped into the chair next to Shane. She frowned across the table. “I told him not to bother you! Has he been a nuisance?”

“He knows about me! He said you told him that I’m the new Heart!”

“Keep it down, Vince,” Warren said, glancing around to see if any of the other diners had reacted. “You don’t want everyone in the room to know.”

“I won’t need to worry about that if Mia keeps telling everyone!” Vince said, but he felt relieved when a quick scan of the room showed no one staring in their direction.

“I only told my family, and only after Aunt Cynthia said I can trust them. I also made Paul promise not to say anything,” Mia said, getting distressed.

Shane reached over and patted her on the hand. “It’s okay, Mia. I’m sure it’ll all work out fine. Paul was pleasant and said he was really happy for Matt and Vince.”

“It’s not okay!” Vince said in a panicked tone, leaning forward to emphasise his dismay. “He thinks I’m taking over from Aunt Cynthia, and he wanted advice on how to get a girl!”

“Let’s just calm down,” Matt said. “There’s no harm done at the moment, and we’ve answered Paul’s question, so that should be it for now. In a few weeks, we’ll be at uni and it won’t be an issue anymore, so let’s not make it into something bigger than it really is.”

Vince turned to glare at Matt. “She told people! Without letting me know!”

“Aunt Cynthia said it was okay,” Mia said.

“Whose life is this – Aunt Cynthia’s or mine?” Vince asked. “Please... don’t... tell... anyone! Understand?”

Mia’s distraught expression made Vince feel guilty. He dropped the abrupt tone and got up from his seat and reached across the table. He put a hand on her shoulder. “I know you didn’t mean any harm, but I’d like to control who knows what, okay?”

She nodded.

The conversation around the table was slow to restart, and then it stayed on safe topics. Padma, Karen, Mark, Bobby and Jamie showed up soon afterwards. Rhys was twenty minutes late.

“Sorry, guys, but I had some customers that took an age to make up their minds on what they wanted to buy. I can’t see why it’s that difficult – it’s all alcoholic, after all. Pick the cheapest and be done with it,” Rhys said as he dropped into the last empty place.

Mark shook his head at Rhys. “You’re not going to make it as a salesman if that’s your attitude.”

“I don’t intend to make it a career. If it wasn’t for my dad, I wouldn’t be doing it in the first place.”

“Why’s that?” Matt asked.

Rhys rolled his eyes. “He told me that the amount of money he’ll send me while I’m at uni will depend on how much I earn this summer. Unless I want to get myself a part-time job in Dubbo, I need to earn buckets now so I can party hard for the rest of the year. It’s just a pain, that’s all.”

“Uni’s not all parties,” Jamie said. “They have these things called classes and exams, too.”

“Please! Don’t remind me. I’m still having nightmares from high school when I had that stuff. Let me stay in my little fantasy world for a bit longer before reality bites,” Rhys said in mock horror.

The group settled down and Paul took their orders. Vince stayed mainly quiet – just enjoying the atmosphere and the comfort of Matt’s hand in his. He was surprised how Rhys and Shane kept most of the table amused with stories about their friends. Matt was forced to clarify Shane’s view of things several times, as were Bobby and Mark when Rhys stretched the truth to the breaking point.

Bobby took advantage of a small break to interrupt the story telling. “Sorry to change the topic, but I’ve got to work tomorrow, so I’m wondering… is there anyone who can show Jamie around?”

“What sort of things are you interested in, Jamie?” Mia asked.

Jamie held up a hand and started listing things on his fingers. “Guys, cars, guys, drinking, guys, sports, and did I mention guys?”

“Seriously,” Mia asked, failing to suppress a smile.

“Okay, I was joking about the cars, drinking and sports,” Jamie replied, grinning at Mia. “No, really, I’m not that fussy. I just like hanging around with other people. I’ll fit in with whatever the rest of you want to do.”

“Apart from guys,” Mark said, rolling his eyes, “what interests you? Maybe there’s something around here we can take you to that we wouldn’t normally do.”

“Honestly, I’ll be perfectly happy just hanging around. I noticed a park in the middle of town, and I’ve got a couple of books with me, so anytime you’re busy I’ll go sit in the park and read. I can go wandering through the shops, too – I noticed a couple of book stores I can probably spend a few hours in.”

Mia smiled. “I work right next to the park, so how about after we finish eating, we walk down and I’ll show you the shop? You can drop in anytime for a chat, and I can organise something for you if you get bored.”

“Sounds good to me,” Jamie said.

“A good idea, Mia. I’d like to go see The Tree, too,” Matt said.

“Why?” Vince asked, surprised at the sudden change in direction.

Matt smiled at him. “It seems to have played a big part in my meeting you, so I’d like to see it, that’s all. From what I’ve heard, it’s something special. I’m sure I saw it when I was here before, but I never knew its significance. I’d like to have a good look and find out for myself why it’s so special.”

“I wouldn’t mind having a look, too,” Shane said. “Is it really true that saying ‘I love you’ under The Tree binds the two people together?”

Karen sniffed. “As if it could.”

Mark scowled at Karen for a moment before turning back to Shane. “It’s supposed to, but it’s hard to say if that’s cause or effect. I personally like the theory that people wait until they’re sure, before they say it under the tree.”

“I think I’m missing something. What are you talking about?” Jamie asked.

Bobby, Rhys and Mia quickly educated him on the “special” properties of The Tree, and then gave Jamie a refresher on the legend of The Heart of The Tree, which he’d heard previously from Shane.

Vince felt uncomfortable as they talked. He hated being pressured into outing himself to the town, just to try to cure The Tree, but he knew he would feel guilty about leaving it to die. It was a fixture of the town, and in some respects the centre of the town. A gentle squeeze of his hand diverted his attention back to Matt.

“There’s no need to worry about it now. We’ve got plenty of time to make decisions,” Matt whispered.

Vince nodded and gave Matt a faint smile. He knew his boyfriend was right, but there was still a knot of worry at the back of his mind. Paul had given him a glimpse of what might happen if he came out. The thought of other, darker possibilities made him want to throw up.

The young people were chatting on other topics over dinner when they were interrupted.

“Shane, is that you?”

Shane stopped his story about Matt and the runaway bull to look up at the slightly plump redhead standing nearby.

“Mary! What a surprise!” Shane said, rising to his feet.

The two kissed each other on the cheek.

“What brings you to Mourton?” Shane asked.

Mary laughed. “I was just about to ask you the same thing. I’ve got cousins who live in the area, so we come here at this time every year. What about you?”

“I’m visiting some new friends. Here, let me introduce you.” He turned and grinned to the others at the table. “Everyone, this is Mary Doulton. She and I are doing nursing together. Mary, this is...” he took a deep breath before pointing his finger rapidly around the table, “...Rhys, Padma, Karen, Bobby, Jamie, Warren, Vince, Matt, Mia and Mark.”

Mary hit Shane on the arm. “Stop it! You did that deliberately – you know I’m no good with names.” She cast a smile around the table. “Hi, everyone! I’ll apologise now, because there’s no way I’ll remember all of that. Hi, Matt. Good to see you again.”

“G’day, Mary. I’m surprised you remember me. I think we’ve only met a few times,” Matt said.

Mary giggled. “There’s no way I could forget that party. Phoebe spent half the night trying to hit on you, and then came crying to me when Shane told her she’s not your type. I laughed at her, and then she didn’t speak to me for a whole week.”

She turned back to Shane. “Anyway, I just wanted to say hello. You’ve got my number. I’ll be in town for another couple of weeks if you want to catch up at some stage.”

They exchanged pecks on the cheek again.

“I’ll see you later, Mary. Have fun!” Shane said. He waited until she disappeared to the far side of the restaurant before he returned to his chair, smiling. “It’s nice to see a familiar face,” he said.

“Thanks, Shane. The feeling’s mutual,” Matt said dryly as he tucked into his fajitas.

“You know what I meant,” Shane said, poking his tongue out.

They were finishing up their dinner when Padma turned to Matt.

“Mary didn’t say, though she implied it. Does she know you’re gay?” Padma asked Matt.

“Yes. I don’t parade it, but I’ll tell anyone who wants or needs to know,” Matt replied. He chuckled. “I remember that party. Phoebe didn’t seem to get the hint that I wasn’t interested, and Shane had to rescue me by slipping her a quiet word.”

“In that case, I think we may have a problem,” Padma said, looking around the table.

“What do you mean?” Bobby asked.

Padma nodded her head in the direction of the restaurant entrance.

“I just saw her go out with the Hennsleys, and Katie was staring in this direction as they left. If Mary mentioned that Matt’s gay, then the news is going to spread quickly. The first one Katie will probably tell is Susie Young, and she’ll just love to spread the gossip.”

Vince felt cold as he realised that if people knew about Matt being gay, it wouldn’t take long before they worked out that he was too, just like Rhys had done originally.

“Who’s Katie?” Matt asked.

“Katie is the daughter of the caravan park owner. She’s probably the one who told Susie Young which tent was yours, that night,” Mia said.

Vince gripped Matt’s hand in a vicelike grip. He felt a rising wave of panic.

“And who’s Susie?” Shane asked.

“The slut who thought lying naked in Matt’s tent was a good way to get him as a boyfriend,” Vince said. He turned to Matt. “What’ll we do?”

“The first thing is to calm down. You’ll notice Mary didn’t say anything directly in front of you guys. I’m hoping that means that she knows to be discreet, so it may be that Katie was only looking in this direction to confirm I’m back in town. I’m not looking forward to having half the eligible girls throwing themselves at me again, but that might be all it’s going to be.”

“But what if she’s said something?”

“Then we head off to Dubbo early. We don’t have to stick around here if it makes you uncomfortable. You can stay with me until you have your own accommodation organised,” Matt said.

A short discussion didn’t produce any other ideas. Shane offered to ring Mary to find out what she’d said, but he wasn’t sure that that wouldn’t prompt the response they were afraid of. They decided it was better to wait to see what happened.

Once they were outside, Vince started to relax. He wanted to hang off Matt’s arm, but having his friends around him gave him a compensatory sense of support.

“Why don’t we all head down to the park?” Bobby suggested.

“Good idea, Bobby. The night air should clear our minds,” Mia said.

They walked down the street. Bobby and Rhys took the lead, with Jamie tagging along. Matt, Vince, Warren and Karen followed, with Warren and Karen talking about her coming move to Sydney. Matt and Vince walked close to each other, but didn’t touch. Mark, Mia, Padma and Shane brought up the rear.

When they arrived, they found a young couple standing arm-in-arm outside of the barrier, staring at The Tree.

“G’day, Stu, Carol,” Rhys said, recognising the two from school.

“G’day, Rhys,” Stuart replied. He sounded glum.

“What’s wrong?”

“The council’s sealed up the hole in the fence and we can’t get in.”

Rhys glanced at Bobby and Jamie. “Easily fixed. Give us a few minutes. Bobby, we need those muscles of yours.”

Once the rest of the group arrived, it didn’t take them long to move a couple of the concrete blocks that supported the fence. The gap that was opened up wasn’t large, but Stu and Carol thanked them sincerely before slipping through.

Matt looked around to check that no one was watching, and then grabbed Vince by the hand. “Come on.”

The two guys slipped through the opening. Vince glanced back to see that the others were milling around, making it difficult for anyone to see what he and Matt were doing. It only took a few steps before they were hidden in the half-light under The Tree.

“Matt...” Vince whispered.

“Shhh...” Matt replied, placing a finger on Vince’s lips.

Once their eyes adjusted, Matt and Vince could see Stuart and Carol embracing under the canopy. Arms around each other’s body, the guys eased their way around to put the centre of The Tree between them and the other couple.

“I can see why this tree is so special,” Matt whispered. “It’s so comforting here that I can imagine The Tree guarding our privacy.”

He let go with one hand so that he could touch The Tree. He let out a slow sigh.

“What is it?” Vince whispered. He was glad they’d come, as he felt many of his worries fading away.

Matt pulled Vince in for a long, slow kiss. When they finished, Matt rested his head on Vince’s shoulder.

“I’m not ready, but when I am I’d like to come back here so I can say the words to you. You’re very special, Vince, and I don’t want to lose you,” Matt whispered.

“I can say mine now.”

“Don’t. It’s too early, but when it’s time I’ll let you know. For now, you’re very important to me, Vince, and I don’t want to let you go.”

They kissed again.

Copyright © 2014 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Lovely ending to this chapter. Matt meets The Tree. I wonder what brought on

that sigh? Being the Heart comes with responsibilities, or burdens as Vince sees it.

I don't think I'd be happy about that part either.

 

This may seem to be pedantic,, but exactly what kind of tree is this anyway?

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/08/2013 02:46 PM, Stephen said:
Lovely ending to this chapter. Matt meets The Tree. I wonder what brought on

that sigh? Being the Heart comes with responsibilities, or burdens as Vince sees it.

I don't think I'd be happy about that part either.

 

This may seem to be pedantic,, but exactly what kind of tree is this anyway?

A Moreton Bay Fig tree. The original inspiration is this tree but that is larger than the tree I imagine as The Tree. Do an image search on Moreton Bay Fig tree to see lots of examples.
Link to comment

I checked your pics, it´s a fabulous tree, no wonder people want to get married under it.

Another great chapter :*)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/05/2014 07:38 AM, Suvitar said:
I checked your pics, it´s a fabulous tree, no wonder people want to get married under it.

Another great chapter :*)

Thank you. The tree that originally inspired my mental picture is actually in California. I saw it a long time ago when I was there for work. The Morton Bay Fig Tree can grow to be very impressive.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..