Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 6,051 Words
  • 3,554 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Spots - 20. Chapter 20

Saturday 19th April, 2014

WARNING: This chapter touches on the subject of child sexual abuse. Readers who are particularly disturbed by this subject may wish to stop reading when a birthday party is mentioned, about two-thirds of the way through the chapter. It will be possible to skip that portion and still continue the story with the next chapter, though some details of the events described will be missing.

Stacey grabbed Karen. “Charlie kicked a goal!”

Karen laughed. “I know. Now, could I have my arm back before you rip it off?”

“Oops. Sorry.” Stacey blushed.

“You’re not really sorry. You’re just excited.” Karen chuckled as they watched Charlie being swamped by his teammates. “So’s everyone else.”

“He’s going to be so happy. He’d been dreading this game, wondering if something was going to go wrong.”

Karen grinned. “He’s not the only one who’s happy. You’re over the moon, too.”

Stacey punched her lightly in the arm. “Give me a break! I know that your boyfriend has kicked goals before, but this is a first for mine. At least in the VFL.”

Karen gave Stacey a hug. “I know, and I’m sorry if I’m messing up the euphoria. I hope you’re planning on going out and celebrating with him later.”

“We’ll see. I think he’d prefer just to spend time with his friends. That’s fine with me.” Stacey spotted Charlie scanning the grandstand. She stood up and waved both arms, receiving a grin and a raised hand from Charlie.

“His friends...” Karen laced her statement with heavy sarcasm. “It’s not like he looked up in the stand to see if his girlfriend had noticed.”

Stacey chuckled as her face went red. “I haven’t been watching, but does Ty do that, too?”

“No. When he’s playing, his focus is completely on the game.” Karen smiled. “He can get very intense sometimes, and playing footy is one of those times.”

“Each to their own.” Stacey smiled. “From what Charlie’s told me, Ty’s got a good chance of making the AFL. He’ll need that intensity if that’s the case.”

Karen grunted. She started glancing around her.

“What are you doing?” Stacey asked.

“You just reminded me. Ty told me that there was an AFL scout at their last game. I was just looking around to see if I could see anyone suspicious.”

Stacey chuckled. “What do they look like? Green skin, tentacles for hair, or maybe really large purple eyes?”

It was Karen’s turn to give Stacey a light punch in the arm. “Yeah, right. Seriously, I don’t know what I’m looking for.”

Stacey pointed to two gentlemen on the right-hand edge of the grandstand. “What about those two?”

Karen stared at them for a moment before turning her attention back to Stacey. “Why do you think it could be them?”

“Because they’ve both got pads on their laps, and when I saw them, one was writing something down. Who does that at a football match?”

Karen gave Stacey a hug. “I hope you’re right. Because, if you are, they just saw Charlie’s goal.”

Stacey snorted, though she was smiling when she did so. “I don’t think it was spectacular enough to warrant being picked by an AFL team. Charlie knows how good he is, and he doesn’t think he’s at that standard.”

Karen smiled. “Charlie’s also extremely modest. You never know...”

Stacey sighed as she turned back to the game. She wanted Charlie to live his dream, but she accepted Charlie’s judgement as to the limits of his abilities. For him to become a fulltime professional footballer would be wonderful, but neither of them expected it to happen.

* * *

Sam’s primary attention was on the game, but he still tried to maintain a conversation with his ex-wife who was sitting with him. “I had the impression from Deon that you hadn’t been going to his games.” Since they had a car for a change, Sam and Marcus had picked up Mandy and Jordan, and brought them to the match. Teresa, who no longer lived with her mother, had used her own car.

Mandy chuckled. “True, though the earlier games were only practise matches. However, I hadn’t intended to be at as many games as I’ve been, and I can thank you for changing that. Your coming down to see the kids has renewed my interest in football. To be honest, I was sick and tired of it by the end of last year. Deon not getting drafted was the final straw, though the writing for that had been on the wall.”

Sam’s gaze flicked to his side. “What do you mean?”

“Deon didn’t get invited to the national draft camp, and he didn’t make the Vic Metro team. He did well in the TAC Cup, but obviously not well enough.” Mandy smiled. “However, if I’m any judge, he’s playing better now than he did back then. I think he’s grown a bit, too, which doesn’t hurt.”

“I didn’t finish growing until I was twenty, so it’s possible.” Sam took advantage of the break in play after a goal by the Coburg Lions to scan the edge of the ground until he spotted Jordan in a bunch of boys of a similar age. “Do you know the kids that are with Jordan?”

Mandy glanced in the direction that Sam was looking. “No, but I trust him. He’s not going to let himself be led into things he doesn’t want to do.” She grinned. “He’s stubborn like his big brother.”

“What about Teresa?” Sam glanced over to where his daughter was sitting with a group of other young women “Is she stubborn, too?”

“In her own way. She’s not as blatant as the boys, but when her mind is set on something, it takes a lot to stop her.” Mandy chuckled. “Just for your information, and please don’t tell anyone else, but I get the impression that Teresa’s got another motive for coming to these games.”

“Oh?” Sam watched his daughter chatting animatedly with the other girls. “Is she making some new friends?”

“Yes, but I think she’s got her mind set on one new friend in particular. One of Deon’s teammates.”

Sam’s jaw dropped. “Which one?”

That I haven’t managed to work out yet, but I suspect it’s one of the defenders. I’m guessing it’s either Paul Crowman or Ward Peters. I had a quiet chat with Deon during the week, and they’re the two defenders who are currently single. They’re both her age, too, not that that’s important.”

“Are they good guys?” Sam asked.

Mandy shrugged. “I don’t know. Because I was burnt out from last year, I haven’t paid as much attention to Deon’s teammates as I did then.” She grinned. “It looks like I’m going to need to change that. I trust Teresa’s judgement, though, so I’m not concerned. And, I could be wrong about her having an interest in one of them.”

Sam stared for a moment, taking in her demeanour. “But you don’t think so.”

“No, I don’t.” Mandy turned to smile in the direction of her daughter. “I’ve never pushed her to settle down, but I’ll be happy if she finds the right guy and does so.”

Their attention was brought back to the game when a loud cheer informed them that Deon had taken a mark within scoring distance. The conversation paused while they watched Deon line up for another shot at the goal. The kick wasn’t straight, and ended up passing through to the left of the goal posts: one point instead of six. Sam grimaced. “He needs to work on his accuracy. I make that nine shots: four goals, four behinds and one outright miss.”

“Do you want to tell him?” Mandy chuckled at Sam’s reaction to the suggestion. “Seriously, I think you should. He does need to work on it, and the more people he hears it from the better. To be honest, I think if you told him – in the right way, of course – he’d listen more because he knows that you’re not here to criticise him.”

Sam cringed. “He’s talking to me, again. I don’t want to mess that up.”

“If you can encourage him enough to lift his game so he’s back in contention for a spot in an AFL team, he’ll forgive anything.” Mandy patted Sam’s thigh. “He’s heard it from me before. Hearing it from you might give him the kick he needs to do something about it.”

Sam stared down at the oval to where Deon was visibly angry with himself. He thought about Mandy’s suggestion and made a decision. “Okay, I’ll talk to him.” Deon’s dreams were important to Sam because they were important to Deon. He would do what he could to make those dreams come true.

* * *

“An eight-goal victory. Not too bad, but they should’ve done more. They made too many mistakes in the second half,” Rod said as he, Liam, and Doug left the grandstand.

“I don’t know. Yeah, they made mistakes, but they were resting their ruckman. I think a few other players were playing out of position, too.” Doug glanced at Liam. “What did you think?”

Liam didn’t answer, so Doug punched him in the bicep. Liam scowled as he rubbed his arm. “What was that for?”

“You weren’t paying attention. I said I thought a number of the Lilydale players were not in their usual positions.”

Liam shrugged. “They weren’t. Ty Flanders is listed on their website as a defender, but he spent the second half chasing the ball, as did Jim. Jim told me he normally plays on the wing. Zachary Wilkins was down in the forward line, and they had their reserve ruckman in the ruck instead.”

“You managed to notice that much?” Rod’s tone was sarcastic.

Doug glared at Rod. “Leave him alone.”

Rod cringed. “Don’t blame me. He’s the one who spent most of his time watching Four-Dork rather than the game.”

“If you say anything...” Doug raised a clenched fist.

“I said I wouldn’t.” Rod glanced at Liam whose attention had wandered. “He’s doing it again.”

Doug punched Liam a second time. “Stop it!”

“Hey!” Liam glared. “Leave me alone.”

“I don’t think I can. Come on, we’re heading home.” Doug grabbed the sleeve of Liam’s shirt and started to drag him towards the exit.

“I was going to stay and have a drink at the club.” Liam pulled himself out of Doug’s grip. “Just for a bit.”

“No. You just want to keep watching him. I’m not going to let you make a fool of yourself.”

“But I only–”

“No buts. I’m making sure you get home.” Doug narrowed his eyes and lowered his voice. “You said you don’t have a chance with him – which is good – so there’s no reason to stick around. The sooner you’re away, the sooner you’ll get over him.”

Liam grimaced, and his shoulders slumped. “Yeah, I suppose you’re right...”

“Of course, I’m right.” Doug placed an arm across Liam’s shoulders. “Come on, mate. As I said, there are plenty of other guys around, all much better than that loser.”

Liam sighed. “Yeah, I know. It’s finding them that’s the problem.”

* * *

Dave was carrying his sports bag when he stomped up to Charlie in the change-room. “I want my keys.”

“No.” Charlie continued to take off his football boots, avoiding eye contact with his teammate.

Dave’s tone switched from blunt to pleading. “I need to get out of here. I need to go home! Give me the keys...please?”

“Dave, no. You agreed before we came that I would hold your keys and wallet. You’re not getting them back until I say so.”

“I’ve changed my mind. Come on, Charlie...let me go home.”

Charlie lifted his head to make eye contact. He realised he had to be firm, and not looking at Dave wasn’t sending the right message. “No.”

Dave glared. “Why the fuck not?”

Charlie kept his voice lowered. “Because there’s no fucking way I’m going to run the risk of you doing what you did last Sunday again. You’re staying here at the club until someone else is ready to go home with you.”

“I don’t need a babysitter!” Dave’s hand shot towards Charlie’s throat but was withdrawn even as Charlie flinched.

Charlie glanced around. Dave’s outburst had attracted some notice, though most of the team and supporters weren’t paying attention. “I know, Dave, but I don’t need a heart attack, either. Until you speak to your psychologist about that nightmare, I don’t want you where you can get drunk without supervision. Please...I’m not doing this because I enjoy it. I’m doing it because I’m worried!”

Dave growled as he threw his sports bag into the locker next to Charlie. “Fine!”

“Dave, you almost killed yourself–”

I said, fine!” Dave scowled as he slammed the locker door. “Happy, now?”

Charlie could feel most of the people in the room staring at him and Dave. He didn’t look around. “Thanks, Dave. I appreciate it.”

“I’ll be in the clubroom.” Dave glared. “Not getting drunk!” He stormed off leaving Charlie by himself.

* * *

Karen frowned at Dave’s retreating back. She then glanced back across the room and gave Charlie what she hoped was a reassuring smile.

“What was all that about?” Neil asked, frowning faintly

“It’s personal, Neil. None of our business.” Ty used the arm that he had draped across Karen’s shoulders to give her a squeeze. “Did you want to chase up on it, Karen?”

She shook her head. “Charlie’s looking after it.” She forced another smile onto her face. “Ty’s right, Neil. It’s personal, but it’s not our concern. We’re best off ignoring it.”

“If you say so.” Neil shrugged. “Anyway, I wanted to say it was a great game, Ty. You were fantastic!”

Ty chuckled. “Let’s be honest, Neil. You don’t really know what you’re looking for when you say that.”

Neil grinned. “Probably not, but I think Karen will agree with me.”

She laughed. “I’m with Neil on this one. You’re always fantastic.”

Ty gave her a kiss. “You’re biased, but thank you.” He gave Neil a mock frown as he let go of Karen. “Don’t hold your breath. I’m not kissing you, too.”

Neil chuckled. “Damn. Why are all the good ones straight?”

Karen moved up next to Neil and gave him a kiss on the cheek. “We girls keep complaining that too many of the good ones are gay, so I suggest you shut up while you’re ahead.”

Neil smiled and turned away. Karen noticed he then wiped a hand across his eyes.

Karen glanced at Ty, but before she could say anything, the door through which Dave had left was flung open. Dave marched back in, went to the locker next to Charlie, pulled out his sports bag, and then stormed out again.

“What was that about?” Neil asked. “He’d only just left.”

Ty grimaced. “I know, but again, it’s personal.”

Karen sighed as she worked out what Ty meant. Her boyfriend had confided to her that Dave was using the coaches’ room for showering and changing. Whatever had upset Dave had also made him momentarily forget that detail, and he had to return for his gear so he could get changed out of his football uniform.

Ty glanced around and then leant over to give Karen another kiss. “Time you two disappeared and let me have a shower in peace. I’ll meet up with you in the clubroom.”

Karen smiled. “Okay. We’ll see you soon.” She turned to Neil and chuckled. Neil was staring goggle-eyed at where Zach had just stripped off his football shorts. She gave Neil a jab. “Come on. We’ve got to get going.”

Neil gathered himself together. “Oh, right.” He gave her a sheepish grin. “I think I need a boyfriend.”

Karen laughed as she escorted him out. “Probably. Someone to keep your mind off other guys, at least.”

* * *

Deon grinned at Marcus as they tapped their cans of beer together. “What did you think of the game?” Deon had arrived in the clubroom a few minutes earlier, his hair still damp from his shower.

Marcus smiled. “I’m getting there. It wasn’t as exciting a finish as your last match, but it seemed more skilful. I think I enjoyed this one more.”

Deon chuckled. “Yeah, it wasn’t like last week’s free-form mud wrestling. We got to do more running plays this time.”

“You got five goals, too,” Sam said. “From what I overheard, that’s the first time you’ve outscored your captain. Well done!”

Deon’s smile faded as he narrowed his eyes at his father. After deciding there was no trace of sarcasm in the statement, Deon nodded his head. “Thanks.”

Sam grimaced. “If you’ll take a little advice–”

Deon sneered. “From you?”

Sam winced and dropped his head. “Deon, I know you want to make it to the AFL. I’d like to see you there, too, but...”

“But, what?”

Sam took a deep breath and then met Deon’s eyes. “You need to improve your accuracy. You only scored goals with about half your attempts. That’s not going to be good enough. You’re doing something wrong, but don’t ask me what it is.”

Deon ground his teeth together. “What the fuck do you know?”

“He’s right. That’s all you need to know.” Julie stepped out from behind Deon. “It’s Will’s place to tell you what to do, but your accuracy is the main thing letting you down. You’re letting yourself down. If Will can’t work out what’s wrong, try to find out for yourself. Don’t wait for someone to tell you what to do. If you do that, you’ll never get better. Champions constantly try to improve. If you want to be a champion, Deon, that’s what you’ve got to do, too.”

Deon dropped his gaze. He knew she was right. It had been having his father tell him that had grated.

“Hi, Sam, Marcus. I’ve seen you around recently, but we haven’t been formally introduced. I’m Julie, one of the assistant coaches.”

“G’day, Julie. Deon’s mentioned you a couple of times,” Sam said. “All positive, I assure you.”

Julie chuckled. “You’re obviously never here after a training session. Most of the players have a different opinion at that time.”

Marcus laughed. “Which is a compliment in its own way.”

Julie turned back to Deon and poked a finger into his chest. “You know what you have to do, Deon. It’s up to you, now.” She smiled. “You can do it if you really want to.”

Deon watched as she walked away. He then turned back to his father and crossed his arms. “What do you suggest?”

Sam blinked. “I...I don’t know. Does the club have someone who can help you? I’m guessing that there’s something wrong with your kicking action, but don’t ask me to work out what it is.”

Deon shrugged. “I can ask Will. He might be able to figure it out.”

“Would it help if you had some videos of you kicking the ball to study?” Marcus asked. “Unless you’ve got other things on, we could take some videos tomorrow from different angles. Maybe one of them will help you work out what’s going wrong. Compare yourself with some of the AFL players. I know that there are videos online of them kicking.” He grinned. “I looked them up during the week to help me get some idea of what’s going on in this stupid game of yours. Some of the guys were cute, too, which was a nice bonus.”

Deon laughed. “Rugby’s gone to your head. Aussie Rules is the best game around.” He smiled and nodded his head. “Thanks for the offer. I’ll need to talk to Pamela, because we have plans, but if she’s happy to change them, yeah, videos would be good.”

“No problem. Just let us know what you’re doing, and we’ll organise around it. We’re not driving back home to Sydney until Monday morning.”

“Thanks, mate.” Deon turned to stare at his father. He then nodded. “Thanks, Dad.”

* * *

“We really should organise some regular get-togethers. Bring the kids around to our place, instead of Todd always going to yours. How does that sound?” Oliver asked. He was with Helena, Charlie, Stacey, Dave, Todd, and Lorraine.

Lorraine glanced nervously at Todd. “I don’t know. Things are pretty busy at the moment.”

Todd smiled. “There’s a lot going on at the moment, Ollie, though it’s a nice idea. I just don’t know when we’ll be able to do it.” He raised an eyebrow at Dave and Charlie. “What about you guys? Any plans for a small party at your place coming up?”

“No.” Dave’s blunt response was followed by a scowl from Charlie. Dave glared back and then he sighed. “We’ve got no plans, but maybe something can be organised.”

Charlie had told Dave that he needed to start rebuilding his relationships with his teammates. Dave had resisted but quickly capitulated. Charlie wasn’t sure if that was good news or bad. Did it mean that Dave knew he had to start talking to people again, or did it mean that he’d lost some of his willpower and was going along with whatever Charlie suggested?

“Todd and I probably couldn’t make anything in the near future, anyway.” Lorraine gave Dave a weak smile. “But it’s a kind offer. Thanks, Dave.”

Oliver frowned at Todd. “What have you got planned that’s going to keep you away?”

Todd rolled his eyes. “If you must know, Lorraine and I have some work coming up that’s going to keep us busy.”

“Oh? That sounds interesting.” Oliver grinned. “Is this M-, R-, or X-rated work?” He winked at Helena and gave her a squeeze.

Todd gave Lorraine a worried glanced before glowering at Oliver. “Becky’s birthday’s in four weeks’ time and we need to organise a party. If you can’t keep your mind off sex, Ollie, stay out of the conversation.”

Oliver held up both hands. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to offend.” He glanced around the room. “Where’s the upcoming birthday girl?”

“Over with Roger and Steph. She seems to prefer their company when we’re here, mainly Steph’s.” Lorraine sighed. “I just wish she’d get over her jealousy.” She wrapped herself around Todd’s arm. “Todd’s good for us.”

“He’s the best.” Oliver smiled. “Hey, he puts up with me, so he has to be good.”

Dave grunted. After a glare from Charlie, Dave winced and turned to Todd. “How old is she going to be?”

Todd smiled. “Eleven. She also wants some boys at her party. Apparently, that’s the current thing for her age group.”

Helena chuckled. “I’d advise against it if she’s anything like the girls at my school. Girls mature faster than boys, and eleven’s about the age when they start becoming little predators. The boys don’t stand a chance. I wouldn’t do it if I were you.”

Dave took a step backwards. “Don’t!” A look of horror was on his face.

Todd frowned. “Don’t what?”

Charlie felt a sense of trepidation. There was something going on with Dave, but he didn’t know what it was.

Dave held up both hands, his eyes wide with fear. “Don’t! Please...don’t.”

“What’s wrong, Dave?” Charlie reached out to touch Dave’s arm, only to have his hand slapped away. Charlie swallowed as he realised that Dave’s gaze didn’t seem to be focused. He realised that Dave’s reaction hadn’t been a conscious decision.

Don’t touch me! Stay away!” Dave’s raised voice had silenced most of the room.

As everyone watched, Dave sank to his knees. “Please...” Tears started to roll down his cheeks. His body shuddered. “Nooooo!

“Dave?” Charlie hesitantly reached towards Dave, but pulled back as Dave, still on his knees, started to lash out in all directions. It was clear that what Dave was reacting to something that no one else could see.

“Please...no. Don’t do it...please...” Dave rolled to his side, bringing his knees up to his body and burying his head against his chest.

Charlie was still staring, wondering what to do when he felt a hand on his arm. He glanced around and saw a circle of teammates and supporters. Apart from Karen, who had moved up next to Charlie, most of the people in the room seemed shocked and uncertain.

“Charlie, talk to him. He’s more likely to hear you than anyone else.” Karen turned to Ty. “Get everyone out and call an ambulance.” When Ty gaped at her, she scowled, “Now!” As Todd started to leave, she grabbed him. “Not you. Get some of the other big guys to stay too, in case we need to restrain him.”

Everyone out!” Ty yelled as he started ushering people out of the clubroom. “We’re calling an ambulance, but we need to give him space. Sorry, but it’s time to go home.”

“What’s going on?” Charlie asked. “What should I say?”

Karen glanced at where Dave was curled up on the floor, an arm flicking out spasmodically as if he was trying to push some unseen person away.

“Just talk to him. Tell him who you are, where he is. I think he’s reliving the attack.”

Charlie gulped and then turned his attention to his teammate, trying to sound calm, though his heart had started to race. “Dave, it’s Charlie. We’re in the Lilydale Leopards’ clubroom. You’re safe.”

No! Stay away! Please...don’t hurt me.” Dave wrapped his arms around his body, his knees tight up against his chest. “No!

“Dave, it’s me. You’re okay. There’s nothing to fear here. There’s nothing to be afraid of.”

Dave’s body shuddered and then stiffened. Dave’s head snapped back, and he screamed.

Charlie knelt down next to Dave, only to receive a solid blow to his chest from a wild swing. He scrambled back out of reach of Dave’s now-flailing arms.

“Talk to him!” Karen’s voice was low. “Try to get him to hear you.”

“Dave, it’s Charlie. It’s not real. It’s not happening. No one is hurting you. You’re with me. Nothing is going on. Fight it, Dave. It’s not real!”

Dave’s face turned to Charlie, but his eyes still seemed unfocused. “I can’t fight him! I can’t!”

“Why can’t you fight him?” Charlie didn’t know if it was the right thing to do, but Dave seemed to have heard him, so he continued the theme.

“He’s too big! He’s a grownup. He’s too strong!”

Karen grabbed Charlie’s arm. “He’s regressed. He thinks he’s a kid.”

Charlie took that as an instruction. “Dave, how old are you? How old when...” Charlie turned to Karen and lowered his voice. “Should I refer to the incident? Won’t that make it worse?”

“How the hell should I know?” Karen screwed up her face. “Play it by ear, Charlie. And pray.”

Charlie nodded and looked back at Dave, who was back to being curled up on the floor. “How old are you, Dave?”

“He’s too big! I can’t stop him. I can’t...” Dave shuddered again, his face now awash with tears.

“Who, Dave? Who is it?”

“I trusted him. I did. Mum and Dad said he would take me home. He’s not supposed to.... He hurt me!

“Who is it Dave? Who hurt you?”

“He’d been telling me.... He said I did well.” Dave’s face lit up. “He said he was proud.... I was going to be an AFL star...” The look of hopefulness transformed into hatred. “And then he fucked me!” Dave started flailing his arms around again. He staggered to his feet, looking wild-eyed around the now largely empty room.

“Do we grab him?” Roger asked. It was only then that Charlie realised that Roger, Todd, and Paul were standing behind him. Ty was blocking the exit. The three coaches, Peter, Will, and Julie, the only other people still in the room, were standing near Ty.

“Don’t. If he’s not hurting himself, don’t touch him.” Karen kept her attention on Dave. “Restraining him may make him think he’s about to be raped again. Charlie, keep talking to him. You guys, move the tables and chairs away from Dave, but don’t try to approach him.”

While Roger, Todd, and Paul started moving the furniture away, Charlie edged cautiously closer to Dave. “Dave, it’s me. Charlie. I’m your friend. You’re safe with me.”

Dave’s head snapped around, and he stared at Charlie. He took a step forward. “He said he was my friend. He said no one was around. No one would hear us. He...he...” Dave sank to his knees.

“Dave...”

Dave lifted his head and stared up at the lights, though Charlie wasn’t sure that he could see them. “No!” Dave grabbed his hair. “Nooooo!

“Dave, it’s okay. It’s me, Charlie. It happened a long time ago. You’re all grown up now, and you’re okay.”

“Please don’t.... I’ll do anything you want, but please don’t....” Dave sobbed. “I’ll be a good little boy. I won’t tell anyone. I promise!”

Charlie grimaced. It appeared that Dave had kept that promise, and it had almost destroyed him. “Dave, you’re twenty three. You’re not a little boy. You’re all grown up, now. It’s over. It’s finished.”

“No!” Dave’s head started twisting from side to side as if he was trying to see something or keep something in view. “Don’t do that! Please, no...”

Charlie watched as Dave collapsed back into a ball again. “Dave...please listen to me. I’m Charlie. I’m your friend. You’re here at–”

“No! You’re not my friend! You hurt me! You did things to me. I hate you!

“Who, Dave? Who hurt you?”

“Dad told me to do what he said. That Mr. Rollingford was a good coach. If I did what he told me to do, I’d be a star.” Dave’s face contorted into a tortured mix of pain and anger. “He raped me!

Charlie glanced at the other people in the room. Most didn’t react to the name, but one did.

“Shit!” Roger glanced over to where Ty was guarding the door, preventing anyone from coming in. Ty had his phone to his ear. “Brat, if you’re still on the phone with the emergency services, ask for the police, too. I think I know who did this to Dave.”

Ty nodded and waved a hand to acknowledge the request. He started talking quietly.

“Who? It may help Dave,” Karen said.

Roger grimaced. “Dave and I were at the same junior football club, though we were a few years apart. Mr. Rollingford was one of the coaches. It has to be him.”

“We think Dave was attacked in a shower block. Would that fit?” Karen asked.

“It would. If Dave’s parents had trouble picking him up after training, the coach may’ve offered to bring him home after finishing up.” Roger gritted his teeth. “Everyone trusted him. If he’s the one...” Roger’s fists were clenched at his side.

Charlie turned back to Dave. “Dave, had you just finished train–”

Karen put a hand over Charlie’s mouth. “Don’t. Leave that to the psychiatrists. For now, just try to bring him back to the here-and-now.”

Charlie nodded. “Dave. I’m your friend, Charlie. You’re–”

“I have no friends! No one loves me! Not after this. No one can know. No one...”

“Dave, I’m your teammate. I’m your housemate. We live together. We’re best mates. You’re twenty-three and you’ve taught me lots about football.”

I’m only eleven!

“Bingo,” Karen whispered in a sad but vindictive tone. “We’ve got the age and a name. Hopefully, that’s enough for the police to bring the bastard to justice.”

“He was my coach around that age.” Roger pulled a face. “Can’t remember exactly when, but it might’ve been when I was eleven. It was certainly sometime around then.”

“Dave. Concentrate! Remember the Leopards. You’re a Leopard, Dave. You’re a midfielder for the Lilydale Leopards. You share a house with Owen, Jarrod, and me, Charlie. You’ve been remembering things, but they’re only memories. They can’t hurt you anymore. Please, Dave, listen to me!”

Dave’s eyes seemed to focus for a moment. “Charlie?”

Charlie grinned with relief. He had gotten through to Dave. He stepped forward, holding out his hand. “Dave. It’s okay. There’s nothing–”

Dave erupted, shoving Charlie away with both hands. “Keep away from me! Please, don’t hurt me!”

Charlie ended up on his backside. He scuttled back out of range before getting back on his feet.

Karen glared at where Ty was still on the phone. “Where the hell is that ambulance?”

* * *

Dave stared up at the dripping showerhead. It was one of those old-fashioned large heads on the end of a straight rod that allowed the height and angle to be adjusted. The tap wasn’t quite off, and every so often a drop would fall just to the right of Dave’s head.

He was numb. He could no longer feel anything. What was being done to his body didn’t seem real.

Dave, it’s Charlie. Listen to me! It’s not real.

Dave seemed to recall someone by the name of Charlie, but the memory was blurred. The only thing in focus was the showerhead and each drop of water as it made its lazy way to the tiled floor. Gravity, or maybe time, didn’t work as normal, as each drip took seconds to fall.

It won’t be long, Dave. Everything is going to be okay. Please, talk to me!

Dave was beyond talking. His attacker hadn’t listened to him when he pleaded. His attacker had laughed when he tried to fight. The only effect of screaming had been to have a dirty towel stuffed in his mouth. All he could do was to wait for it all to end.

At last! Dave, there’s someone here who will help you. Hang on, mate. It won’t be long before it’s all over.

Dave shuddered. There was nothing he wanted more than for it to be over. He was being violated, and there was nothing he could do to make it stop. He tried to make himself forget. He told himself it wasn’t happening. It didn’t work completely, but his mind narrowed its focus. All that existed in his world was the showerhead, the water, and the feeling of the cold, harsh tiles on his back.

Dave. My name is Greg and I’m a paramedic. We’re not going to hurt you. We’re just going to give you an injection to put you to sleep. When you wake up, hopefully you’ll be feeling a lot better.

Dave was still watching the water droplets counting down to...something...when everything faded away.

It was over. It was finally over.

* * *

It was a subdued group of people who watched the ambulance leave the car park. Many were huddled in small groups, speaking quietly amongst themselves. Peter’s car followed the ambulance out. As head coach and with no quick way of alerting Dave’s family, he had nominated himself as the person to go to the hospital. Others had also volunteered, but it had been decided that there was no point having too many people in the hospital waiting room.

Inside the administration block, Anne Flintlock was flicking through the personnel records, trying to find the details for Dave’s next of kin. It was her job to inform them of what had happened and then to forward to the hospital Dave’s required details. In an office not too far from Anne, Tony was helping Colin draft a press statement, trying to cut off undue speculation before it started. Jim was hovering nervously in the background, feeling useless.

The clubroom was still off limits. The police had set up in there and were questioning Charlie, Karen, Roger, Todd, and Paul as to what had occurred and what Dave had said.

Neil, Ty and Stacey were in the group gathered outside. Oliver and Helena had taken Lorraine, Becky, and Sean home. They had left instructions for Todd to ring Lorraine as soon as he was finished with the police.

Mandy and Jordan had been driven home by Teresa. Sam and Marcus had promised Mandy that they would stay with Deon and Pamela for as long as needed.

Apart from those inside the building, everyone was waiting.

Don't forget you can also comment in the discussion forum thread!
Copyright © 2015 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Tough scene, well written. enough detail without being morbidly graphic - importantly it moves the story along. Congrats.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, we finally know what's wrong with Dave. :( I hadn't thought about it being a child molester, so that was a shock, but it makes a lot of sense. Poor guy, but hopefully he can get some help now. And if they manage to put Mr R away, that might help too. (Pus we all know what happens to child molesters in jail,)

Very intense chapter, Graeme.

This chapter still sends chills down my spine. :pinch: 

Edited by Timothy M.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/20/2014 04:09 PM, Canuk said:
Tough scene, well written. enough detail without being morbidly graphic - importantly it moves the story along. Congrats.
Thank you. I'll admit I was worried about that scene...
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/20/2014 04:59 PM, Timothy M. said:
Well, we finally know what's wrong with Dave. :( I hadn't thought about it being a child molester, so that was a shock, but it makes a ot of sense. Poor guy, but hopfully he can get some help now. And if they manage to put Mr R away, that might help too. (Pus we all know what happens to child molesters in jail,)

Very intense chapter, Graeme.

Thank you! Dave's still got a long way to go, but now that things are out in the open, so to speak, hopefully that helps him.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Riveting, immediate, and told with a great deal of finesse and detail. Really well done Graeme. The triggers, the breakdown, and the loss of consciousness were all portrayed seamlessly. You've done a great job up until now preparing the reader for this event. While it was traumatic, you handled it respectfully and realistically.

This isn't an easy thing to do, but you made it feel like we were there. At least I got that impression. So, thank you for your hard work. Don't worry about if you did this right. You did a superb job, truly artful and compelling. Thank you for sharing it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/21/2014 12:52 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Riveting, immediate, and told with a great deal of finesse and detail. Really well done Graeme. The triggers, the breakdown, and the loss of consciousness were all portrayed seamlessly. You've done a great job up until now preparing the reader for this event. While it was traumatic, you handled it respectfully and realistically.

This isn't an easy thing to do, but you made it feel like we were there. At least I got that impression. So, thank you for your hard work. Don't worry about if you did this right. You did a superb job, truly artful and compelling. Thank you for sharing it.

Thank you :hug:
Link to comment

Wow! That was hard to read and I imagine even harder to write. You did a great job with it, though; the horror of Dave's memories was very real. I thought it was especially effective that you placed the scene after a series of calm, fairly mundane character interactions (teen crushes, training videos, birthday parties, etc) that lull the reader into a sense that all is well...until all of a sudden it very definitely is not.

As an aside, because it amused me, I love that Liam is still mooning after Neil. I'm really looking forward to more of that story line. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/21/2014 11:29 AM, impunity said:
Wow! That was hard to read and I imagine even harder to write. You did a great job with it, though; the horror of Dave's memories was very real. I thought it was especially effective that you placed the scene after a series of calm, fairly mundane character interactions (teen crushes, training videos, birthday parties, etc) that lull the reader into a sense that all is well...until all of a sudden it very definitely is not.

As an aside, because it amused me, I love that Liam is still mooning after Neil. I'm really looking forward to more of that story line. :)

Thank you. That scene took a lot of research, trying to work out what was reasonable and what wasn't. In the process I learnt that we're so varied that almost anything is plausible when it comes to mental health issues :( Triggers can be anything. In this case, it was an apparently innocent conversation. Dave has been getting 'primed' for almost two months since Tony joined the club, starting the process of his internal mental walls crumbling, and then everything happened at once.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

intense, but not unexpected for me. when dave 1st started having problems, i was sure this where you were going. having been (i was 7 when it started) and known several people who have been sexually abused as small children, i know how the mind can hide memories from the conscious mind. when the person is strong enough the subconscious mind starts to "prime" itself to relive those things. trouble with relationships, drugs, alcohol and sleep are ways to try to forget with what happened. but the forgetting doesn't last. well, and sensitively written, good job.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/14/2016 08:47 PM, mogwhy said:

intense, but not unexpected for me. when dave 1st started having problems, i was sure this where you were going. having been (i was 7 when it started) and known several people who have been sexually abused as small children, i know how the mind can hide memories from the conscious mind. when the person is strong enough the subconscious mind starts to "prime" itself to relive those things. trouble with relationships, drugs, alcohol and sleep are ways to try to forget with what happened. but the forgetting doesn't last. well, and sensitively written, good job.

Thank you. When I was doing the research for this part of the story I found that almost any sort of reaction was possible. I thought I was being a little melodramatic, but apparently it was quite plausible. I'll also admit that this was one of the most challenging chapters to write. It had to be 'just right' or I wouldn't have posted it. As an aside, I have a friend who had suppressed memories from a childhood incident. I used what he told me as partial inspiration. :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..