Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 7,916 Words
  • 3,064 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Spots - 31. Chapter 31

Tuesday 6th May, 2014

“You know the plan for the day?” Todd asked as he packed up the breakfast dishes.

Neil nodded. “Ollie takes me to school and picks me up afterwards. Then he’s going to give me another lesson in cooking because apparently last night’s dinner wasn’t up to scratch.” He grinned before putting the cereal back into the pantry.

Todd laughed. “Only by Ollie’s standards. It was fine, as I said at the time.”

“Boring, though.” Neil shrugged. “I’ll get there. But paying for the food did show up one thing: I’m going to need to get a job of some sort. I’ve got my savings and that money that Liam gave me, but it’s not going to last, and I have next year to worry about, too.”

“But you finish this year.” Todd fixed Neil with a steely gaze. “No slacking off. You’ve got to try your hardest, Neil.”

“I know, but...” Neil scowled at the floor.

“But, what?”

“I still don’t see how I can go to uni. A part-time job isn’t going to be enough to pay for rent, let alone food and everything else I’ll need.”

“You don’t have to worry about that until the end of the year. This is prep work for the rest of your life. One step at a time, mate.”

“Yeah, I know...”

Todd pulled Neil into a hug. “Don’t worry about next year; that’s months away. You never know what’s going to happen.” He released Neil and grinned. “With last night’s TV appearance, you’re now famous. Someone may come knocking on the door at any time.”

They both immediately heard a knocking sound. They turned as one and saw Oliver grinning in the doorway, his fist still clenched from where he had rapped on the door to the kitchen.

“Ollie...!” Todd glared and then chuckled.

“Sorry, I couldn’t resist.” Oliver smiled at Neil. “He’s right, though. A lot can happen between now and the end of the year. Plan ahead, but don’t give up too early.”

“Thanks, Ollie.” Neil sighed and gave Todd a half-smile. “Two months ago, I was living with a couple of homophobes and scared of what was going to happen when they found out I’m gay. Now, I’m here, and I still don’t know what’s going to happen, but it’s definitely a lot better than what I had before. Thanks, Todd.”

“No problem, mate. I’m glad things are looking up.” Todd glanced at the kitchen clock. “Time I got going. I’ll see you tonight.” He grinned at Oliver. “You’re going to have to cook up something special tonight, Ollie. Neil’s set a high standard with last night’s dinner.”

Oliver lifted his middle finger at Todd while the taller guy walked out. Oliver then gave Neil a quizzical look. “Did you give Todd your phone number?”

Neil nodded. “I did that last night after you gave me the new SIM. Now I can keep my mobile on.”

“Who else is going to be privileged enough to receive the number?”

Neil grinned. “Any of the Leopards who ask. Maybe Clarissa from school.” He shrugged. “I’m not sure who else will want it.”

Oliver smiled. “You might be surprised. You’re a minor celebrity now, so more people than you realise will take an interest in you.”

Neil hesitated. Oliver’s statement made him uneasy. “I just want to be left alone.”

“Sorry, mate, but I don’t see that happening. Like it or not, people know you now.”

* * *

Liam hesitated after finishing his breakfast. “Mum, can I ask for a favour?”

“Sure, dear.” Mrs. Bellweather was preparing her lunch before she headed off to work. “What is it?”

“I know I’m grounded, but can I get some time off on either this weekend or next?”

His mother frowned as she shifted all her attention onto Liam. “You’re grounded for a good reason. What is it that you want to do?”

Liam picked up his breakfast bowl and carried it to the dishwasher. “It’s to do with Neil, but only indirectly.” He knew that the only chance of his parents relenting was to make it about Neil. If it was somehow making up for his past actions, they might be generous.

“Go on.”

Liam grimaced. “Do you remember Todd from last night’s TV show? The one about Neil?”

His mother frowned in thought. “Is he the one who Neil is living with at the moment?”

“That’s him. He wants to talk to me. I thought the weekend would be best.”

There was silence for a moment. “Do you know him?”

“I’ve met him once, but Neil knows him well.” Liam tried to smile.

“Why does he want to talk to you?”

Liam pulled a face. He didn’t have a good answer. “I don’t know. He sent me an email last night, asking to meet up.”

“I’m uncomfortable with this, Liam. Meeting up with a stranger, especially an older stranger...” Mrs. Bellweather looked uncertain. “I’d be much happier if your father and I got to meet him first.”

Liam fell back to Plan B, the one he didn’t really want to go with because it was risky. Unfortunately, he didn’t see much choice. He knew he had to meet with Todd as soon as possible or Todd may reveal the truth about Alf to Neil. “How about if I invited him to come here?”

She pinched her lips as she thought. “That might work. When were you thinking?”

Liam shrugged. “I’ll need to ask him when he’s free.”

His mother stared for a moment and then nodded. “You can invite him around for dinner, if he wants. It just has to be late enough for your father to be home. I’d want both of us to meet him.”

Liam put a smile on his face, though he felt that things were going out of control. “Okay, I’ll do that.” He stepped forward and gave his mother a hug. “Thanks, Mum.”

She gave him a squeeze in return. When he let go, she was smiling. “Your father and I want you to be happy, Liam. We know you’ve got your heart set on Neil, so if this helps, then that’s fine.”

Liam gave her a hesitant grin. He didn’t know if it was going to help or make things worse.

* * *

Neil stared around the still largely empty schoolyard. Oliver had dropped him off early because of a school-clinic commitment he had that was some distance away. Neil shrugged philosophically and went to find somewhere to sit down. He had Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol to finish for his English class. He was supposed to have finished it the previous Friday, but he’d had other things on his mind. Mr. Kowalski, his English teacher, had told him he had until that morning to complete the book.

It was cold, but the overcast sky didn’t look like rain, so Neil sat at one of the outside tables. He gave himself a smile, as sitting out in the open wasn’t something he would’ve ever done while Doug, Rod, and Liam had been bullying him. He felt confident, though, that his days of being harassed by them were behind him.

Thirty minutes later, as he neared the end of the novel, he received a shock surprise. Someone shoved his back, making him do a face plant onto the book and onto the tabletop.

“Fag...”

Neil stiffened as he turned around. The perpetrator was a student he didn’t know. Given the size, Neil guessed he was a Year 11 student, though he could’ve been an above-average-sized Year 10 boy. Three other sneering male students stood behind the first.

“Everyone knows you’re a pathetic loser, Four-Dork. Now we know why.” The first guy shoved Neil again, though less effectively as Neil was able to brace himself.

“Why can’t you leave me alone?” Neil stifled a cringe at the frightened tone he heard coming from his mouth. He made himself scowl and strengthened his voice. “You’re the pathetic one, picking on someone because they’re different.”

The guy leant forward, making Neil edge away towards the end of the seat. If he got the chance, he’d run, but he didn’t know if these bullies would be as kind to any belongings left behind as Doug tended to be.

“Different and pathetic. That’s you.” The bully grinned over his shoulder. “Typical fag. Can’t stand up for himself.”

One of the other three moved quickly to block the escape route that Neil had been slipping towards. “Can’t have the fag run away, can we, Ian? Everyone would think he was a coward as well as a loser if he did that.”

Neil couldn’t stand up. His legs were under the table, and the bench seat was too close to allow him to rise to his feet. He was in the awkward position of being twisted around so he could keep an eye on the bullies but without any ability to make a sudden movement.

Ian’s grin wasn’t pleasant. “A cowardly, pathetic, loser of a fag. Is that who you are, Four-Dork?”

Neil knew he was stuck. It didn’t matter what he said or did, he was going to cop abuse. The only real question in his mind was how physical they would get. He thought of Todd and Ty and stiffened his spine. “As distinct from a cowardly, pathetic homophobic bigot who needs odds of four to one so he can pretend to be brave?”

Ian scowled and shoved Neil again. “Pretty perky for a weakling. You can talk, but you can’t do anything.”

Neil glared up at his tormentor. “Let me stand up and we’ll see.”

Ian’s eyebrows rose. He chuckled as he glanced at his mates. “I think Four-Dork wants a fight!” He took a step back and waved a hand. “Okay, your move, fag.”

Neil didn’t know what he could do, but buying time didn’t hurt. He swung his legs out from under the table and then slipped his book into the top of his bag.

The guy at the end of the table sneered. “I didn’t think he would do anything. Fags are weak.”

The familiar voice from Neil’s right had everyone’s head turn. “I beg your pardon?” Doug asked as he approached.

Ian waved a hand towards Neil. “The pathetic loser’s a fag!”

Doug crossed his arms. “So?”

“So, we were just going to have some fun with him.” When Doug stared impassively back at him, Ian glanced nervously at his mates. “Everyone knows fags can’t fight.”

Doug’s hand shot forward and grabbed Ian’s jumper. He stepped forward as he dragged the younger guy towards him until their faces were almost touching. “You’re a fucking idiot. I’ll give you one chance to take that back or I’ll send my fist so far down your throat that your tonsils will be hanging out your arse.”

“I’m sorry!” Ian’s voice became frantic. “I didn’t mean it. We were just kidding!” He glanced at Neil, terror on his face. “It was only meant to be fun. We weren’t really going to hurt you.”

Doug pushed him to the ground and then glowered at the other three. “Fuck off. Now!”

They sprinted off, followed a few seconds later by Ian after he had scrambled to his feet.

Neil stared in disbelief. “Thanks, Doug.”

Doug glared. “I didn’t do it for you.”

“But...”

Doug sighed, though he managed to make it sound angry. “Fags aren’t weak. They can fight. And I never want to hear that fucking word again.” Doug scowled. “You might be a pathetic loser, but Liam’s gay, and he’s not a loser. They insulted my best mate. I wasn’t going to stand around and let them get away with that.” He poked a finger at Neil. “Don’t think I’m going to stand up for you, Four-Dork. I’ll stand up for Liam whenever and wherever I need to, but you’re on your own.”

“Thanks, anyway.” Neil wasn’t sure what to make of the situation, but he sensed he was out of danger.

Doug grunted and stormed off. Neil watched, wondering if that was the end of any homophobic abuse or if there was more to come. He decided to play it safe and head to his homeroom. He would read there until school started.

* * *

Patrick O’Malley frowned as he read the report on the recruiting manager’s attempt to contact Ty Flanders that had been left on his desk. He then leant back in his chair and thought.

“Christopher!”

His assistant appeared at his office door. “Yes, sir?”

“I want you to track down a copy of that magazine, the one that the Henderson kid was featured in.”

Men’s Health? There should be one in the break room.” Christopher Talbot hesitated. “Do you need it now?”

“If you’ve got something urgent, do that first. But I’d like it within the hour, if possible.”

“Yes, sir.”

The old man resumed reviewing scouting reports until Christopher returned with the magazine. He read the article carefully. After nodding to himself, he looked up the club’s draft-prospect records and wrote down a number. He then picked up the phone. “Shane, have you got a few minutes?”

“For you, Paddy, anytime. What have you got?”

Patrick hesitated. “I don’t want to do this on the phone. I’ll come down to see you.”

“Paddy?” The disbelief in the recruiting manager’s voice was clear.

“I’ll see you soon.” Patrick smiled as he hung up. With his arthritis, he didn’t move around a lot, so for him to leave his office to visit someone emphasised the importance of what he was doing.

That smile quickly disappeared as he levered himself out of the chair. Moving wasn’t always easy for him, and he partly regretted the bravado in heading to the other end of the building.

His assistant looked up from his desk as the grey-haired man shuffled passed. “Sir?”

Patrick waved a hand. “I’ll be back in a bit. If something urgent crops up, I’ll be with Shane.”

Christopher was clearly perplexed but acted with his usual decorum. “Yes, sir.”

Five minutes later, Patrick O’Malley knocked on the recruiting manager’s door. Shane immediately stood up. “Paddy! You didn’t need to come down here.”

Patrick tried to smile, but he knew it came out more as a wince. He had made the mistake of taking the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator. “Sometimes I need to show you young whippersnappers that I’m still around.” He waved a skeletal finger at Shane. “You’ve probably forgotten what I look like.”

“Never!” The red-haired manager with a severe receding hairline quickly slipped around and positioned his visitor’s chair so Patrick could lower himself carefully into place. “Given that you’re here, should I shut the door?”

“Probably be a good idea.” Patrick sighed with relief to be off his feet. He was wondering if 2014 would be his last year working for the club. He had to smile at himself, since he remembered thinking the same thing halfway through the previous year.

Shane sat back behind his desk. “What have you got for me?”

“You rang young Flanders from the Lilydale Leopards last night.”

Shane scowled. “A waste of time. He wouldn’t even come to the phone. His father was very apologetic, but he said he didn’t think his son was interested in playing at the AFL level. I reviewed the notes from last year, and it seems the kid is still as arrogant now as he was then.”

Patrick nodded. “If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck...”

“It’s probably a duck.” Shane frowned. “The kid has talent, but he’ll never make it in an AFL club with that attitude.”

Patrick caught Shane’s eye. “What if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, but sounds like a pig?”

“I don’t understand.” When Patrick gave him an enigmatic smile, Shane narrowed his eyes. “If that happens, it means you’ve either discovered something new, you’ve misheard, or someone’s trying to pull a fast one.”

Patrick pushed the magazine he had his assistant collect across the desk. “Page 47, right-hand column, third paragraph.”

Shane opened it up to the designated page and read the specified section. He looked up, perplexed. “I don’t get it.”

“Flanders doesn’t live at home. He shares a house with the Henderson boy. Of course, he didn’t come to the phone when you rang his father. He probably wasn’t even in the same house.”

Shane’s eyes widened. “You mean...”

“Someone is pulling a fast one. I’m guessing it’s his father, for some reason.” Patrick glared at the thought. “The boy’s got talent, as you said. I’m also seeing a major change in attitude with what I’ve had reported about him. It mightn’t be enough to allow him to fit into an AFL club, but my gut feeling is that it is.” He focused his gaze on the recruiting manager. “If he’s fixed his attitude, then we want him.”

“I agree. That’s why I tried ringing him last night.” Shane scowled. “But his contact number goes to his father. If he’s as good as we both think and we show up at the Leopards to speak to him, the word will get back to the other clubs, and they’ll know that something’s up. Someone else could draft him before us. I’ll run the risk if I have to, but we’ve already spent a fair amount of effort on the kid. I don’t want to throw in more only to see another club recruit him.”

Patrick smiled as he pushed over a piece of paper. It had a phone number written on it.

Shane picked it up and stared at it. “What’s this?”

“His teammate Henderson’s phone number. Here’s what I suggest you do...”

* * *

Jim glanced at the stadium clock as he and Ty finished another lap around the oval. “That’s time.”

“One more lap,” Ty said, through his panting.

Jim nodded. “We’ll sprint it.”

Ty pulled a face. “From the near goalpost.”

It was painful for both of them, but Jim’s superior fitness kept him in front. Ty, though, wasn’t as far behind as when they’d started their endurance runs with Julie.

“One hundred and three minutes.” Jim had his hands behind his head and his face held high, trying to force oxygen into his body.

Ty glanced up from where he was lying on his back. “Did we make the half-marathon?”

Jim snorted. “No.”

“Damn.” Ty tried to scowl, but he was too busy trying to recover.

A minute later, Jim stepped over and held out a hand. When Ty reached up to grab it, Jim helped him stand. “Ready for the gym?”

“I’m knackered, but I supposed that’s when it’s best to push myself a bit further.” Ty draped an arm across Jim’s shoulders and then let all his weight fall on his friend.

Jim pushed him off. “You can walk on your own, brat.”

Ty chuckled. “It was worth a try.” He glanced towards the entrance to the players’ change room and frowned. “What the fuck is she doing here?”

Jim looked over and saw who had upset Ty: Neil’s mother. “We can avoid her if you want.”

“No. Let’s find out what she’s after.” Ty scowled as he strolled over. Mrs. Rosewood didn’t move from her spot on the other side of the low metal railing, her eyes fixed on the two approaching young men.

“Be polite, brat. We can’t afford any incidents.”

“I know, Dad, but I can’t say she’s my most favourite person at the moment.” Ty didn’t bother changing his expression as they approached. He stopped when they were opposite her. “Mrs. Rosewood.”

She winced. “You can call me Mary, Ty.”

“Is there something you want, Mrs. Rosewood?” Ty’s tone was flat.

She started to wring her hands. “I just.... Is Neil okay? He’s not answering his phone.”

Ty crossed his arms. “Do you blame him?”

“Brat...” Jim shot Ty a warning look before giving Neil’s mother an almost-smile. “Neil’s got himself a new phone number. He won’t be using the old one anymore.”

“Could I...” She shook her head. “Can you tell him that we still love him? Please? Talking to that TV reporter was a big mistake. We should never have gone to them for help.”

Ty sneered. “A nice type of love. What would you’ve called it if his jaw had been broken when your husband hit him?”

Neil’s mother’s lower lip started to quiver. “Please...”

Jim grimaced. “What is it you want, Mrs. Rosewood? Neil won’t be going home. He seems happy where he is. To be blunt, he doesn’t trust you or his father.”

She dropped her head. A moment later she fumbled with her handbag and pulled out a wad of fifty-dollar notes. She held them out while not looking at the two players. “Here. Can you please give these to Neil?”

Jim and Ty exchanged puzzled glances. Jim looked back at Mrs. Rosewood but made no attempt to accept the offer. “Why?”

“Neil’s going to need some money if he’s living away from home. It was all I could get out of the ATM today. When I can get some more, I’ll let you know.”

Ty crossed his arms. He shook his head at Jim, who then grimaced. After a couple of seconds, Jim reached over the fence and took the cash. “I’ll make sure he gets this. Thank you.”

“You can’t buy him,” Ty said, a warning note in his voice.

She looked up. Both guys could see streaks from her eyes as her makeup ran. “You can’t buy a mother’s love either, Ty. I don’t like what’s happened. I don’t like what he’s become. But he’s still my little boy. That’s never going to change. Hopefully, one day you’ll understand.” She turned away, shoulders slumped.

Ty stared as she trudged away. When she was out of earshot, he turned to Jim. “Why do I feel like a jerk?”

Jim gave him a wry grin. “I could answer that’s because you are, but I understand. She’s not the bigot that Neil makes her out to be.” He glanced in her direction. “She doesn’t accept him for who he is, but she doesn’t hate him.”

Ty nodded towards the money in Jim’s hand. “You’d better put that somewhere safe, Dad.”

Jim raised an eyebrow. “You really think so?” He smiled as he tilted his head towards the change room door. “Let’s go.”

Inside, while Jim was putting the money into a pocket on his bag, Ty checked his phone. He had a new text message. “Hey, I’ve got Neil’s new number! Do you want it?”

Jim looked up. “You should probably check with him before you give it out to anyone, but if he doesn’t mind, yeah, I’ll take it.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right. Check your own phone. He might’ve sent it to you, too.”

Jim snorted. “You’re procrastinating, brat. We’re supposed to be on our way to the gym.” Despite his comment, he pulled out his phone. “Okay, I’ve got a voicemail. Maybe it’s from him.”

Ty waited and then frowned as Jim pulled his phone away from his ear, stared at his phone, and then resumed listening. “What is it?”

“Shush!” Jim’s expression was one of bewilderment when he finally finished listening. He frowned. “I need to hear this again.”

Ty sat down on a nearby bench but kept his gaze on Jim. His friend and mentor looked more confused the longer he listened to his message. When he finally put down his phone, Jim stared at Ty and then dropped onto the bench opposite. “Fuck!”

“What’s wrong? Is it Neil? Is it your parents? What’s going on?”

Jim shook his head. “I don’t believe it. It has to be a prank call. But who...?”

“What was it, Dad?”

Jim stared at Ty in disbelief. “That was someone from the Carlton Football Club. They’ve invited me to join them for a training session.”

Ty blinked. “The Carlton Football Club?” When Jim nodded, he continued. “The mighty Blues? The AFL team that Roger used to play for?”

A smile started to creep across Jim’s face. “That’s them.”

Ty pumped his fist. “Yes! It’s been you that scout’s been watching all this time. You’re on your way to the AFL, Dad!”

Jim held up both hands. “Don’t get carried away, brat. It’s just a training session, and they’re not promising me anything. It could just be a meet and greet because I’ve been in the news. It might have nothing to do with my football and more just a publicity stunt.”

Ty dismissed that possibility with a wave of the hand. “They’re finally seeing how good a midfielder you are. Don’t put yourself down, Dad.” He glanced at the phone in Jim’s hand and then back at Jim’s face. “Aren’t you going to call them back?”

Jim stared uncertainly at his phone. “Should I?”

“Fuck, yes!” Ty leant forward. “If you fuck this up, Dad, I’m going to give you hell for the rest of your life. You can’t tell me that you don’t want to break into the big time.” He pointed at Jim’s phone. “This is your chance. Go for it!”

Jim closed his eyes for a moment and then nodded. A minute later he was pacing around the change room while talking on the phone. Ty gave him space and did his best to not listen in. He did hear enough to know that they were discussing a date for when Jim would visit Visy Park, the Carlton Football Club’s training ground.

When Jim finally ended the call, Ty stood up. “Well?”

Jim grinned. “I’m going there on the Queen’s Birthday public holiday. It was the only day they’ll be training when I could guarantee that I won’t be working.”

Ty waved a hand to dismiss that problem. “You could’ve just taken a day off. When’s the Queen’s Birthday this year?” It was one of the public holidays that changed its date each year, though it was always around the same time.

“June 9th. About a month away.” Jim shook his head. “I still can’t believe it.”

Ty thought for a moment. “That’s just over a week after Neil’s party. You’ll want to be at peak fitness on that day, so no alcohol for you. I’ll look after your share at the party.” He winked.

Jim chuckled as he smiled at Ty. “If you want to. That’ll make my choice a bit easier.”

“What choice?”

Jim grinned. “They said I can bring one of my teammates with me on the visit, but if you’re going to be doing all that drinking, you’ll probably be still too drunk to go...”

Ty gave Jim a mock glare. “If you dare pick anyone else, I’m never speaking to you again!”

Jim laughed. “That makes the choice even easier.”

Ty jumped him. Their wrestling only stopped when Jim stumbled against the edge of one of the benches, and they realised that one of them could get hurt. They stared at each other for a moment and then separated.

“Good luck, Dad. I hope it works out.”

Jim sighed. “I hope so, brat. I really do.”

* * *

Neil cautiously headed outside. The incident before school and some name-calling between his first two classes had restored his previous wary habits. It was time for the recess between the second and third periods, and Neil knew he had to be ready for abuse.

Based on his experiences thus far, he didn’t expect any problems from his fellow Year 12 students. Several had already expressed their anger at his parents and had offered their best wishes for the future. None of them had shown any signs of disgust at the revelation that he’s gay.

Between classes, however, he’d heard comments from the students in lower years. None had been made to his face, but several had been said loud enough for him to hear, and he’d seen a couple of groups of younger males snigger while looking in his direction.

While he had years of practise at avoiding bullies, this time it was different. Then, he knew whom he had to avoid. This time, he didn’t. Anyone could be a threat. Neil couldn’t help smile at the realisation that two of the people whom he was probably safest with at that time were his old bullies, Doug and Liam.

“Watch out, Pete, Four-Dork’s smiling. He must like you.”

Neil scowled as he glanced around, but he couldn’t identify who had spoken. He was sure it was one of the boys in a group or fourteen- or fifteen-year-olds not too far away, since they were all looking in his direction, but he didn’t know which. He turned and moved away as fast as possible while trying to avoid making it look like he was running away from them.

A couple of minutes later, he plonked down in a familiar spot near the library. It had the advantage of an open line of sight to all approaches as well as a wall at his back to prevent anyone coming up from behind. As he sat there, though, he realised it wasn’t as good as it used to be. Previously, it had allowed him to spot his bullies before they could get to him, but he no longer knew who those bullies might be. He watched nervously as students passed nearby, waiting for someone to say something.

It was with almost relief that he spotted Liam marching towards him. Neil rose to his feet and picked up his backpack. He waited.

“There you are! Are you okay? Anyone giving you problems? Doug told me about the incident before school. If you’d let me know when you were arriving, I could’ve been there for you.”

Neil smiled, mainly with relief but also with amusement. “Thanks, Liam.”

“Do you want me to hang around?”

Neil nodded. He glanced around, and his anxiety levels rose as he saw a number of students staring at the two of them.

“It looks like Four-Dork’s got a boyfriend!”

Liam spun around and glared at the group of boys from where the comment had come. He pointed. “You. Here. Now.”

The group edged away. Liam took a step towards them, and they ran. Liam turned back to Neil. He ran a hand through his hair. “Neil, I...”

“Thanks again, Liam.” Neil gave a snort of laughter. “It’s a bit funny. After all these years, to have you defending me...”

Liam dropped his head. “Yeah...” He looked up. “I’m sorry, Neil. I really am.”

“I know.” Neil was surprised to find that he believed Liam. “We mightn’t ever be friends, but at least we’re not enemies anymore.”

“Why can’t we…?” Liam’s face went red after his blurted out question, and he dropped his gaze.

Neil frowned. “What do you mean?”

“Why can’t we be friends?”

Liam’s body language seemed odd to Neil, as if he was nervous. Neil’s eyes widened as he realised that Liam’s blush may mean he wanted to be more than friends. He scowled. “Just because we’re both gay, that doesn’t mean...”

Liam flinched. He looked up. “I’ve got a confession to make, Neil.”

Neil waited, his body tense and ready for flight.

“I actually found out you’re gay a few weeks ago. We went to the Leopards game over Easter and we heard someone mention it while we were there.”

Neil felt the blood drain from his face. He took a step back, his eyes on Liam. “Who’s ‘we’?”

Liam winced. “Myself, Doug, and Rod. I’d wanted to see Jim play, and they joined me. It was one of the few Saturdays when we weren’t playing footy ourselves.”

Neil didn’t stop to think. He turned and ran. He didn’t know where he was going, but he knew he had to get away.

Neil, wait!

He ignored Liam’s shout. Too many things were going on, and he needed to find somewhere safe so he could start to think again.

* * *

As he had hoped, Liam found Neil with Clarissa, Evelyn and Mary at lunchtime. He approached cautiously but openly, his eyes fixed on Neil. He didn’t want him to run again.

Neil spotted him before he was halfway across the schoolyard. Liam was disappointed but not surprised by the reaction he received. Neil moved so Clarissa was between him and Liam.

Clarissa looked up when he reached them. “Why am I not surprised to see you here?”

Liam shrugged and sat down next to her. He looked past her to Neil. “How’s it going?”

Neil glared at him before smiling at Mary. “As I was saying before we were rudely interrupted, Ty’s promised he’ll have the details of the party next week. I’ll let you know as soon as he tells me.”

Mary’s gaze flicked to Liam for a moment. “I know it’s personal, but given that Liam keeps hanging around, are you two...?” She gave a vague wave of the hand.

Neil scowled. “No. I’ve got no interest in him. Unfortunately,” he scowled at Liam, “I’m not sure if the feeling is mutual.”

Evelyn’s eyes widened as she stared at Liam. “You mean...?”

Liam lowered his eyes. He was feeling very much out of his depth, but he wasn’t going to move away. He was almost hoping that some homophobic bigot would interrupt them so he could have the chance to protect Neil.

“The village idiot has a crush.” Clarissa nudged Liam. “Right?”

Liam glared. “How about minding your own fucking business?”

Clarissa gave him a look that made Liam feel like a lab animal waiting to learn if he was about to be dissected. “This is my business. I’ve one-and-a-half ex-boyfriends who happen to be gay. I’m not averse to a happy ending, but I don’t want you pressuring Neil.”

Mary blinked. “One and a half?”

Clarissa shrugged and gave Neil a sheepish grin. “Neil was almost my boyfriend for a short period of time. I’m counting that as a half.”

Neil shifted nervously. “I’d prefer it if he wasn’t around.”

Liam managed to not let himself react. He was hoping Neil just needed some time to accept his interest.

Clarissa frowned at Neil. “And I’d prefer it if he stayed.” She narrowed her eyes. “Despite how you feel about him, he’s sticking up for you. You said you’ve been receiving some abuse; he can help stop it.”

Neil dropped his head. He mumbled something.

“Pardon?” Clarissa poked him. “I didn’t hear what you said.”

Neil glared. “Okay! He can stay.” He held his expression for a moment longer before lowering his eyes. “I don’t have to like it, though. Most of the abuse is verbal, and I can handle that.”

Liam jumped in. “Most? What else has been done?” He glowered. “If I catch anyone...”

“See! This is why I don’t want you around. You’re jumping to conclusions. Things are fine!”

“What about this morning when Doug found you being picked on? Those guys were going to get physical!” Liam pulled himself back and tried to dial down his anger as he realised he was yelling at the wrong person.

“And that’s the only time I’ve had a problem! I don’t need you hanging around me all the time!” Neil didn’t seem to share Liam’s concerns about controlling his emotions.

Clarissa glared. “Calm down and shut up, both of you.” She waited to see if either would say anything, then continued. “Liam, Neil is able to stick up for himself. Let him live his own life. Neil, Liam is looking out for you, that’s all. Don’t jump down his throat because he cares, because I care, too, and jumping down my throat isn’t a good idea.”

Evelyn gave Clarissa a searching look. “Whose side are you on? I would’ve thought you’d want Liam gone.”

Clarissa didn’t answer immediately. She glanced at Liam and then Neil. She sighed. “I don’t know. Liam has the potential to be a good guy. Neil needs friends. The two of them hitting it off seems like a really neat solution to the whole crazy situation.”

Liam kept his mouth shut. Neil didn’t. “Hey, don’t treat me like I’m not capable of deciding things for myself! This is my life. I’ve got a say in things, too!”

Clarissa chuckled. “Whatever gave you that idea?” She smiled. “Of course you do, but you’ve only really seen the village idiot’s bad side. You should give him a chance to show his good side before you reject him.” She reached over and touched Neil’s arm. “And for now, he can help stop you from getting hurt. You’ve been through enough with your father. Don’t let the bigots at school get you down, too. You might be able to handle things by yourself, but you don’t have to. You’ve got friends who can take some of the load from you. Save yourself for the important challenges, not the minor things.”

Neil looked uncertain and then surprised. He pulled his phone out of his pocket. After checking the display he chuckled.

“What is it?” Clarissa asked.

“Ty sent me a text. He said he and Dad will be dropping in to see me tonight, and they had some news. He wanted me to be the second person to hear it.”

Mary looked worried. “Are you sure you should be seeing your father so soon? After what he did...”

Neil grinned. “Jim’s nickname is Dad. Ty won’t call him anything else.” He started typing.

“If you’re the second, who is he going to tell first?” Clarissa asked.

Neil didn’t look up. “Knowing Ty, he’s probably talking about himself. He’s got the nickname of brat for a reason.” He paused and bit his lower lip. “Clarissa, I know we’re supposed to be going out for coffee after school, but Ollie’s going to pick me up. I just remembered. Sorry.”

Clarissa shrugged. “I don’t mind if he joins us. If he can’t stick around, there’s always next week.”

Neil gave her a quick hug. “Thanks. I’ll let Ollie know after I text Ty.”

“Does Ollie have a girlfriend?” Evelyn asked.

Clarissa chuckled. “Yes.”

Neil froze. “How do you know that?”

Clarissa gave him a reassuring smile. “Firstly, you told us. Ollie and Helena were the ones you mentioned after you started joining us for lunches. However, I’ve also met her.”

Neil swallowed. “When?”

“Last weekend. Jerk Face here...” Clarissa paused. “Sorry, the village idiot – I have to remember his new name – was concerned when you weren’t at school on Friday. He asked me to go to the Leopards game on Saturday to check if you were there. That’s when I met Helena.” She smiled. “I like her. She’s a very sincere and open person.”

“If you met her, then...”

Clarissa nodded. “I knew you were gay before you told the world last night. Actually, I found out a little earlier that day, but Helena confirmed it. You’ve got some very loyal friends there, Neil. They were all worried for you.”

Neil stared down at his phone a few moments and then continued typing. “They’re great people. I don’t know where I’d be without them.”

Liam got up and moved around behind Neil. He put a hand on Neil’s shoulder for a moment and gave a squeeze. When Neil looked up in surprise, Liam moved away and sat on the grass nearby. He wanted to find somewhere private so he could scream out his frustrations, but he couldn’t afford to leave Neil to be harassed. He knew the probable answer to Neil’s last statement, but he shuddered to think about Neil without the Leopards help.

* * *

Neil glanced at Oliver then Clarissa before staring down at the cup of coffee in front of him. “That’s a tough question.”

“I know,” Clarissa said, “but I also know that Liam deserves a real answer.”

Neil pulled a face. “He’s been nice for the last two weeks. If all I had to go on was that time, yeah, I’d like him.” He looked up. “But I’ve known him for a lot longer than that. I can’t ignore what’s happened before.”

Clarissa nodded. “I thought as much. He wants to make up for all those years, but he’s got an uphill battle.”

Neil snorted. “I think that’s an understatement. He’s...” Neil threw up his hands. “I can’t describe it.”

“Does he have any chance?”

“No.” Neil hesitated before deciding she deserved a more complete answer. “Even if he had a chance, he’s too late. There’s someone else.”

Oliver leant forward, an expression of interest on his face. “Who?”

“Someone I met online.” Neil smiled at the other two sitting with him at the coffee shop. “He’s a really nice guy. He’s gay, and he goes to our school, but he’s not out.”

Clarissa frowned. “Are you sure he goes to our school? It could be someone pretending to do so.”

Neil grinned. “He first contacted me by slipping a note in my locker. He’s someone from school.”

Oliver grinned. “Does this mystery guy have a name?”

“I haven’t asked him, but I’ve been calling him Alf.”

Clarissa stiffened. “Alf? And you’ve been chatting with him regularly?”

“That’s right.” Neil took in her body language. “Is something wrong?”

She bit her lower lip while staring at him. She grimaced. “Alf and Liam know each other. Alf alerted Liam to the fact that something was wrong last Thursday night, telling him that you hadn’t gotten online to chat. Alf also told Liam you were safe on Friday afternoon and that you’d run because your father had hit you.”

Neil sat in shock. He couldn’t make sense of what she was telling him. “Are you sure?”

She nodded. “Liam wouldn’t give me any details when I asked him about it, but he and Alf are definitely talking to each other.”

* * *

Jim scowled. “You’re making too much of this, brat.”

Ty grinned. “No, I’m not. You’ve been invited to a training session by an AFL club. They wouldn’t do that if they didn’t think there was a chance you could play for them. That’s a big deal.”

“What if I stuff it up? What if I don’t make the grade?”

Ty shrugged. “We’ll just have to make sure that doesn’t happen. You’ve got a month — plenty of time to get yourself ready.”

“We’ve also got games to play. While I’m playing for the Leopards, they have to be my number-one priority. Not an AFL team that may or may not draft me in six months.”

“Sorry, Dad, but I’m not budging on this. The only reason I haven’t told anyone so far is because I promised Neil he would be the second one to learn the news. After that, I’m telling everyone.”

“You’re putting a lot of pressure on me, brat.”

Ty chuckled. “Yeah, but you can handle it.” He cocked his head. “From what I was told last year when I thought I had a chance to get to the AFL, you’ll be under pressure a lot. This will be good practise. If you can handle this, it’ll be good practise for when you’re playing for Carlton and are under pressure all the time to perform.”

Jim sighed and then smiled. “Thanks, brat. It sounds like I might need to pick your brains as to what I’m likely to encounter. You seem to know more about what’s going to happen than I do.”

Ty scowled. “Unfortunately, I do.” He looked away for a moment. “I was expected to be drafted. I had seven clubs talk to me, including Carlton. I even spent part of last year’s pre-season with the Blues. All the clubs told me something of the pressure of playing at that elite level. They asked me questions about how I thought I’d cope in a demanding environment.” Ty snorted with derision. “After living with my old man and his expectations, I expect the AFL would’ve been a piece of cake, but I didn’t get to find out. All the clubs decided I wasn’t good enough and didn’t draft me.”

Jim put a hand on Ty’s shoulder. “Their loss.”

Ty visibly gathered himself together. He smiled. “Come on, Dad. I need to tell Neil that you’re AFL-bound, and you need to give him that money from his mum. We also need to tell him that, while she’s not accepting who he is, she doesn’t hate him.”

* * *

Liam slipped into the kitchen after dinner. His mother and father were talking quietly but paused when they spotted him.

“Mum, Dad, is it okay if Todd comes for dinner on Thursday night?” Liam had received a reply from Todd a couple of minutes earlier, and he needed to confirm when it would be okay for Todd to come around. He still couldn’t work out from the emails he’d received what Todd thought of him. They were perfect examples of blandness.

“Who’s Todd?” Bruce Bellweather asked.

His wife waved a hand to shush him. “That’ll be fine, Liam. Can you tell him around seven?”

“Thanks, Mum.” Liam trudged out. He was afraid that having Todd meet his family was going to be a disaster, but he didn’t have much choice. On impulse, he stopped just outside the door and tried to eavesdrop on the conversation that had restarted in the kitchen.

“...looking after the boy that Liam’s keen on,” his mother said

Liam couldn’t make out what his father said in reply, but he didn’t hear any sign of anger.

“...asked this morning...”

“...TV show last night? If that’s him...”

Liam tiptoed away. He wasn’t picking up anything useful, and he wasn’t sure what he was expecting to hear.

He returned to his bedroom and resumed studying. He knew he wasn’t really concentrating, but he forced himself to read the textbooks and work through the exercises he had as homework.

An hour later, he smiled and took a break as Neil logged on, able to chat. Being Alf for a while was the right antidote for the depression and fears that were assailing him. They chatted for almost fifteen minutes before all that good work disappeared.

Neil: Clarissa tells me you’re good friends with Liam. That you’ve told him that we’ve been chatting.

Liam swallowed. He sat there, unable to type for too long. He knew Neil could tell he’d hit a nerve because of the lack of a response.

Neil: Alf?
Neil: Please, I just want to know what’s going on.
Alf: I’m sorry, Neil. I know you don’t like Liam, but I had to.

Liam stared at what he’d written and grimaced. Was he digging a hole for himself that he wouldn’t be able to get out of?

Neil: Why Liam?
Alf: I can’t tell you. Not yet. Soon, though. I promise.
Neil: You’re both gay. Did you and he...?
Alf: Please, give me some time. I’ll tell you everything, but not just yet.
Neil: Okay.

Liam breathed a sigh of relief. He then pulled a face as he knew his masquerade as Alf was almost over. He hoped that Todd would be sympathetic on Thursday night, because he now had something to talk over with him. Liam needed to come clean with Neil, and he suspected Todd may need to be on hand to help Neil deal with the truth.

Don't forget you can also comment in the discussion forum thread!
Copyright © 2015 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hi Graeme,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Leopard Spots.

 

An interesting chapter. A good omen for the Brat, Dad potentially being drafted, Alf and Todd's dinner date and last but not least, Alf presumably being close to outing himself to Neill.

 

Anxiously awaiting the next chapter of Leopard Spots.

 

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/07/2015 05:47 PM, shyboy85 said:
Hi Graeme,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Leopard Spots.

 

An interesting chapter. A good omen for the Brat, Dad potentially being drafted, Alf and Todd's dinner date and last but not least, Alf presumably being close to outing himself to Neill.

 

Anxiously awaiting the next chapter of Leopard Spots.

 

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

Thanks, Maarten!
Link to comment

Hmm, so they ask Jim to visit and bring a team mate, hoping it will be Ty, and this worked, Will they want Jim, too,, once they see him and Ty together? And how will Ty and Jm react when they find out?

Things are falling apart on Liam, and I almost felt sorry for him, when he had to admit having a crush on Neil. But at least Neil didn't freak too much after his initial reaction of running. Clarissa even tried to help Neil accept Liam.

The incident with Doug defending Neil was funny, but initially scary.

Link to comment

Aw, at the end I thought he was going to confess, but it's probably better for his chances that he didn't. I didn't expect Neil to be willing to wait until Alf is ready. Well... willing... at least that's what he wrote ("Okay"). ^^

 

I'm a bit surprised that the only way they can see to contact Ty is by inviting Jim for a training session? Or did I get that wrong? Either way, it gives the opportunity for both of them to be drafted, which is cool. :3

 

Really looking forward to Liam's confession. Todd at Liam's place should be interesting, too. :3

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Hi Graeme, another fine chapter. I like how Doug is developing with his complex relationship to Neil through his relationship with Liam. It is also good to see Ty and Jim's storylines moving forward.

And now another wait till next week.

I, along with all the others will stayed tuned.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Like Timothy, I was surprised at the Carlton Club's strategy to reach Ty. It definitely seemed a bit hit-or-miss. I would have thought a discreet phone call to Peter would have been more sensible. I really hope this turns out to be a genuine opportunity for Jim, too.

 

I really don't blame Neil at all for his reticence to consider Liam as a potential boyfriend. While Doug was clearly the ringleader, Liam willingly went along with making Neil's life a misery for five years. Not only that, but the bullies managed to establish a culture of acceptability at the school so that the harassment continues even after Doug, Liam and Rod stopped their own campaign against him. Doug's defending Neil was lukewarm at best; he doesn't refute the assertion that Neil is a loser, only dismissing the "fag" comment. As much as I think the Liam/Alf/Neil storyline is endearing and will probably end with their getting together, a far more realistic outcome would be for Neil to reject Alf's "coming out" as yet more evidence of Liam's untrustworthiness (it is pretty manipulative and creepy), then take advantage of his new connections to meet other gay guys, while Liam is left regretting the bed he made for himself to lie in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Interesting chapter. I'm glad Doug has seen the error of his assumptions at least through the lens of his best friend. It's good to see Neil's becoming more open to Liam's attempts. Liam is so noble in his attempts to help Neil. It's quite the fascinating interplay and very realistic.

The Carlton play for Ty is different. It seems they are building up Jim without wanting him. Kind of cruel if they only use him to get to Ty. But it is a fascinating scenario.

As for Neil's mom, you are showing the complexity and depth of emotions very honestly. She is conflicted, tortured by her son's situation and her beliefs. They are colliding and you demonstrated her pain so well. Too often these raw emotional conflicts are shoved to one side. You are bravely presenting both sides so we can struggle along with the characters. Absolutely fantastic. Bravo to you! Thanks Graeme!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/07/2015 09:31 PM, Timothy M. said:
Hmm, so they ask Jim to visit and bring a team mate, hoping it will be Ty, and this worked, Will they want Jim, too,, once they see him and Ty together? And how will Ty and Jm react when they find out?

Things are falling apart on Liam, and I almost felt sorry for him, when he had to admit having a crush on Neil. But at least Neil didn't freak too much after his initial reaction of running. Clarissa even tried to help Neil accept Liam.

The incident with Doug defending Neil was funny, but initially scary.

For the record, Doug didn't defend Neil. He defended Liam, who wasn't there to defend himself. That's Doug's story and he's threatened to beat me up if I say anything different :P
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/07/2015 11:32 PM, Sammy Blue said:
Aw, at the end I thought he was going to confess, but it's probably better for his chances that he didn't. I didn't expect Neil to be willing to wait until Alf is ready. Well... willing... at least that's what he wrote ("Okay"). ^^

 

I'm a bit surprised that the only way they can see to contact Ty is by inviting Jim for a training session? Or did I get that wrong? Either way, it gives the opportunity for both of them to be drafted, which is cool. :3

 

Really looking forward to Liam's confession. Todd at Liam's place should be interesting, too. :3

The Carlton Football Club could contact Ty through the Leopards. They could also go there directly to try to speak to him. However, doing so will cause a lot of gossip, and what Carlton are trying to do is to avoid drawing too much attention to Ty. They don't believe the other clubs have noticed the change in attitude, and will therefore ignore him for the end-of-season draft. If they are seen to approach him, other teams may take another look and see that he's no longer has the attitude problem he had the previous year, and may draft him before Carlton gets a chance.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/08/2015 12:27 AM, Rndmrunner said:
Hi Graeme, another fine chapter. I like how Doug is developing with his complex relationship to Neil through his relationship with Liam. It is also good to see Ty and Jim's storylines moving forward.

And now another wait till next week.

I, along with all the others will stayed tuned.....

Doug is a bully and a thug. He's also human, which means that he's capable of being more than one-dimensional....
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/08/2015 01:20 AM, impunity said:
Like Timothy, I was surprised at the Carlton Club's strategy to reach Ty. It definitely seemed a bit hit-or-miss. I would have thought a discreet phone call to Peter would have been more sensible. I really hope this turns out to be a genuine opportunity for Jim, too.

 

I really don't blame Neil at all for his reticence to consider Liam as a potential boyfriend. While Doug was clearly the ringleader, Liam willingly went along with making Neil's life a misery for five years. Not only that, but the bullies managed to establish a culture of acceptability at the school so that the harassment continues even after Doug, Liam and Rod stopped their own campaign against him. Doug's defending Neil was lukewarm at best; he doesn't refute the assertion that Neil is a loser, only dismissing the "fag" comment. As much as I think the Liam/Alf/Neil storyline is endearing and will probably end with their getting together, a far more realistic outcome would be for Neil to reject Alf's "coming out" as yet more evidence of Liam's untrustworthiness (it is pretty manipulative and creepy), then take advantage of his new connections to meet other gay guys, while Liam is left regretting the bed he made for himself to lie in.

Carlton has already contacted Peter (back in chapter 16) through one of their trainers who had previously worked with Peter. Peter made the comment to the trainer (Alan Kenworth) that if Carlton consider Ty to be draftable, it would be in Ty's best interest if Peter told as many clubs as possible. So contacting Peter again would be a risky move for them. There would be too much danger of Peter turning around and letting the other clubs know, and that would mean Carlton could miss out on the chance to draft Ty.

 

And, yes, you're correct. Doug objected to the "fag" comment, not the other guys calling Neil a loser.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/08/2015 01:39 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Interesting chapter. I'm glad Doug has seen the error of his assumptions at least through the lens of his best friend. It's good to see Neil's becoming more open to Liam's attempts. Liam is so noble in his attempts to help Neil. It's quite the fascinating interplay and very realistic.

The Carlton play for Ty is different. It seems they are building up Jim without wanting him. Kind of cruel if they only use him to get to Ty. But it is a fascinating scenario.

As for Neil's mom, you are showing the complexity and depth of emotions very honestly. She is conflicted, tortured by her son's situation and her beliefs. They are colliding and you demonstrated her pain so well. Too often these raw emotional conflicts are shoved to one side. You are bravely presenting both sides so we can struggle along with the characters. Absolutely fantastic. Bravo to you! Thanks Graeme!

Thank you! Neil's mother has been a challenging character to write about. She's hasn't shown it before now, but she's not simple. As you've pointed out, she's got conflicting motivations for how to deal with the truth about her son, and she's still struggling to work it out.

 

As for Carlton, the AFL is big business. That means a certain degree of cynicism creeps in, especially when it comes to trying to gain an advantage over the other clubs. If they have to be manipulative to gain someone they consider to be a potential star player, then that's what they'll do.

 

As part of the reading I've been doing in preparation for this story, I read of the behind-the-scenes drama involving the recruitment of one such star player in the past. What Carlton is doing is mild in comparison....

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..