Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 7,201 Words
  • 3,058 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Spots - 37. Chapter 37

Saturday 31st May, 2014

“Thanks for giving me a lift, Deon,” Clarissa said. “I really appreciate it.”

Deon chuckled as he drove out of the North Port Oval car park. “You weren’t going to be left behind. It was just a case of working out who went in which car. Dad and the brat were always going to be in the same car, especially after the way the brat stormed out of the change room at the end of the match, and naturally that meant Tony and Karen were with them. I had a spare spot, and I’m heading back to the same house, so....”

“I noticed Ollie and Helena had a spare spot in their car, too, since they only had Neil with them.” Clarissa smiled. “Not that I’m complaining. I was just wondering. Neil promised me that someone would be able to take me home if I got to the game, but he wasn’t sure who.”

“They’re taking Neil back so they can get changed for the party; we’re heading back to my place to do the same. Karen told me that you two would be using Ty’s room to get changed while he used mine.” Deon grinned. “The brat made some comment about letting Dad and Tony get changed in private, just in case it took them a bit of time.”

Clarissa sighed. “I’m sorry that they didn’t win. I think that would’ve made Neil’s day. He seems to idolise Ty.”

“Not as much as he idolises Todd, but, yeah.” Deon glanced in the rear-view mirror. “You two are awfully quiet back there.”

Marcus chuckled. “We’re not up to anything, if that’s what you’re thinking. We’re just enjoying the ride. Thanks, by the way. We didn’t expect you to be spending the weekend chauffeuring us everywhere.”

“It’s cheaper than taxis or hiring a car, plus I don’t mind. Feel free to drink as much as you like tonight, and I’ll be the designated driver.” Deon glanced at Clarissa before returning his attention to his driving. “If you don’t have something organised, I can give you a lift home, too.”

“I had some tentative plans, but I can cancel them. Thanks. That would be great.” Clarissa pulled her phone out of a pocket. “I’ll let my parents know.”

Sam spoke up from the back seat. “I’ve got a better idea. Why don’t I be the designated driver, Deon? That way you can enjoy the party more, and you can have a drink.” He smiled at Marcus. “Neither Marcus nor I are heavy drinkers, anyway, and we’re both on full licenses, so we can have a drink or two as long as we don’t overdo it.”

Marcus grinned. “Plus, we can both still remember what it’s like to go to parties at your age. You’ll have more fun if you don’t have to worry about driving afterwards.”

Deon’s eyes flicked to the rear-view mirror and took in his father’s and Marcus’s smiles. “Thanks, guys! You don’t have to, you know.”

“We know, but we’re offering. I think we’ll all enjoy it more if I drive and you drink.” Sam grinned. “That’s if you trust me with your car.”

Deon laughed. “Deal! I’ll give you the keys when we arrive home.” He hesitated and glanced at Clarissa. “Is that okay with you? I’d just promised to take you home, and now I’m changing plans on you.”

Clarissa chuckled. “No, that’s fine. In fact I think my parents would be even happier that it’s not someone around my own age driving after the party.” She turned and smiled at the two guys in the back seat. “Thank you. I really appreciate this.”

* * *

Paul awkwardly manoeuvred his way through the club-room entrance, using his feet and body to keep the door open while carefully keeping the box in his hands level. “The cake’s arrived! Where do you want it?”

Todd looked up from where he was shifting tables. “Over there on the table in the corner. How does it look?”

Paul grinned as he took the cake to the indicated spot. “Absolutely fantastic. At least as good as the one Dad had for his 21st, and possibly a touch better.”

Todd chuckled. When the prospect of a party for Neil was first mentioned, Paul had contacted the restaurant chef who had baked Jim’s birthday cake back in March. The chef had been more than pleased to make another football-and-leopard-themed cake, commenting that it was a fun challenge. Paul had then negotiated with Carol, the restaurant owner, and they had agreed on a bargain-basement price.

“Did you hear how the match went?” Paul asked. “I forgot to charge my phone last night.” He carefully lifted the cake out of its box and placing it on the table. After a moment of review, he moved the cake further back, closer to the wall.

Todd grimaced. “Victoria lost, though I was told it was a good game. However, something happened afterwards, and the brat stormed out without bothering to get changed. They’re on their way back now.”

Paul frowned as he glanced over his shoulder at Todd. “Are you sure it wasn’t him wanting to get back before the party starts?”

“From what Ollie said, the brat was in a filthy mood and didn’t want to talk to anyone. He said he’d shower and get changed once he was home.” Todd shrugged. “I’m sure we’ll get the story at some stage tonight.”

“Is there much more to do?” Paul asked as he glanced around the room.

“No, we’re just about done. Lorraine’s got the food organised – she’s in the kitchen getting the finger food ready – Julie and Aaron are out looking after the spit roast, and we’re waiting on the DJ to arrive.”

Julie poked her head in from outside. “It looks like the DJ’s here, Todd. At least, a van I don’t recognise has just pulled up in the car park. If you need any extra muscle, I can send Aaron to help.”

Todd smiled. When most of the anticipated setup help evaporated with the news that Ty would be playing in the VFL state team, Julie’s boyfriend, Aaron, had stepped in to assist. “We should be right, Julie. If Paul and I can’t do it, then I think that means the DJ brought too much gear.”

She grinned. “You’re probably right.” She glanced back over her shoulder. “Aaron wants me for something. Got to go.”

Todd caught Paul’s eye. “Let’s go help the DJ.”

The two guys headed outside to where a young blond guy in slacks, an up-market T-shirt, and what appeared to be a suede jacket was unloading a hand trolley from the back of a van. He glanced around as they approached and gave them a broad grin. “G’day, I’m Scott. Scott Jameson, the DJ you hired.”

Todd grinned as they shook hands. “Hi, I’m Todd, and this is Paul. Do you need any help with the gear?”

“No, I’m right.” Scott smiled. “I appreciate the offer, but if I drop and break something, the company is insured. If you do it, it becomes a legal nightmare. All I need you to do is tell me where I should set up.”

“Fair enough.”

Todd turned to Paul. “Before I forget, there is one thing you can do, Paul. Glenda organised a banner; it’s currently behind the bar. If you can work out the best place to hang it, I’d appreciate it.”

Paul grinned. “No problem. I’ll figure it out, and then we can put it up.” He nodded to Scott. “I’ll let you get ready. Pleased to meet you.”

Todd waited for Scott to unload the two speakers and put them on the trolley. He then escorted the DJ into the club room. “We’ve cleared one end of the room for dancing, so put yourself wherever you think is best. We can move things around a bit more if you need us to.”

Scott surveyed the area. “No, that looks fine. I’ll set up near that edge of the cleared space so the speakers are pointing away from the rest of the room.” He grinned. “Have to give the people not dancing some chance to hear themselves talk.”

Todd chuckled. “I suppose so. Neil’s really looking forward to dancing, but some of us aren’t as keen. Neil wants the faster rock and pop, while I’d prefer a slower dance.”

“I can do both. Mix them up to give everyone a go.”

Todd thought about it and then shook his head. “No, it’s Neil’s party, and we’ll do what he wants.”

Scott started unloading the equipment. “Is he around? I’d like to run through some playlists with him.”

“He won’t be here until just before the party starts.” Todd grinned. “He and most of the people attending have been to a footy match. One of our team was picked for the VFL state side, and they all went to support him.”

“Cool! I hope they win.” Scott shifted the second speaker off the trolley and frowned as he glanced around the area. “Can I use one of these tables? I’ve got a trestle in the van, but I think these would be better, if that’s okay with you.”

“Sure, that’s fine. Tell me where you want it, and I’ll get it organised. Unfortunately, no, they lost. I haven’t heard much more than that.” Todd shrugged. “I’m sure we’ll hear all about it when they get here.”

“I hope Neil isn’t too disappointed. Not the best way to start his birthday.” Scott straightened and smiled at Todd. “One more load and then I can get everything set up. When Neil gets here, let him know that if he has any special requests, he just has to ask.”

* * *

Karen and Clarissa had taken over the bathroom while they prepared their makeup.

“How do you intend to do this?” Karen asked as she peered into the mirror while applying mascara.

“We’re all going to get up to dance, and then we’ll slip away and leave the two guys by themselves. Neil loves to dance, and if he’s out on the floor and finds himself with only Liam to dance with, the two should finally start interacting.” Clarissa put the brush she was using away and pulled out her collection of lipstick.

“I’ll be dancing with Ty, and he wants Neil to have a good time, so he’ll go along with it, but who are you going to be dancing with? He may not want to stop.” Karen straightened and gave her reflection a critical frown.

“I’m going to ask Deon. I’ve already told Evelyn and Mary that he’s off limits, but if I make a pseudo-claim on him, that’ll make sure he’s not bothered.” Clarissa picked the lipstick she wanted and puckered her lips.

“Thank you. Deon doesn’t seem stressed, but I was concerned that he might have a one-night stand and then regret it in the morning. He hides it well, but I think he’s still upset by Pamela walking out on him. At least, by being a designated driver, he’s not going to get drunk.”

Clarissa stopped what she was doing and stared at Karen in the mirror. “That’s changed. His father’s going to be the designated driver so Deon can have a few drinks and relax.” She pinched her lips and considered her reflection. “Even more reason to stick with him tonight.”

“More reason?” Karen smiled. “What other reasons do you have?”

Clarissa gave her a mock glare. “Get your mind out of the gutter, girl. It’s simply respect. I appreciate what he’s done for Neil, especially on the weekend that Neil ran away from home. He looked out for Neil when he didn’t really know him, and I’m returning the favour.” She returned her attention to the mirror. “I’m just about done. You?”

“Same here.” Karen started packing up her makeup kit. “I’m sure the boys are suitably frustrated with the wait, so let’s join them and get to this party.”

They paused after entering the lounge room. Sam and Marcus had been seated, but immediately stood up when the girls arrived. Ty and Deon had been talking quietly but stopped and turned to look at the girls.

Ty’s eyes widened, and a grin appeared on his face. He stepped towards Karen. “You look fantastic!”

She chuckled as she accepted a kiss. “Thank you. Not that I did it for you...”

Ty shrugged. “I’ll take what I can get.”

Deon smiled at Clarissa and held out his arm. “Shall we go?”

“Let’s.” Clarissa hooked her arm in with Deon’s and let him escort her to the door.

“Dad, Tony, it’s time to go!” Ty called out.

“We’re here, brat.” Jim stepped out of the kitchen followed by Tony and grinned at the two girls. “Looking good, ladies!”

Karen grinned back. “Thank you.”

“Then let’s get moving.” Tony glanced at Sam. “I believe you’re the other designated driver for the night.”

“That’s right.” Sam smiled at Deon. “This is more a young person’s party. Marcus and I will probably be sitting in the corner wishing we’d brought ear plugs.”

“There’s a chemist on the way that should be open.” Deon grinned at his father. “Just saying...”

Sam laughed and waved a hand towards the door. “Get going or I’ll leave you behind.”

The group headed to the two cars, with Jim, Tony, Karen, and Ty in Tony’s car, and everyone else piled into Deon’s.

Sam drove off cautiously.

“Are you going to be okay, Dad?” Deon asked. “You know how to drive a manual, don’t you?”

Sam snorted. “Of course I do! I’m just getting used to your car.” He grinned up at his son in the rear-view mirror. “The last thing I want to do is damage it. You’d never forgive me if I did.”

“Probably not.” Deon’s grin and light tone indicated his words weren’t supposed to be taken seriously. “Do you know which way to go?”

“I’m following Tony. As long as he doesn’t speed, I should be fine.” Sam continued in a more serious tone. “Just so you know, Marcus and I are giving Neil that favour you asked for as a birthday present.”

Deon frowned. “Which favour?”

“About his schooling. The one that will allow him to go to uni next year.”

Deon stiffened and then grinned. “Really?”

Clarissa took in Deon’s excited state and the smile on Marcus’s face when he glanced into the back of the car. “What’s the present?”

Deon gnawed at his lower lip. “Dad?”

“Deon told us several weeks ago about Neil’s problem with going to university next year. He asked for a favour, and we’ve decided to offer it to Neil for his birthday. As long as he meets the qualifications and gets into an appropriate course, Marcus and I will give Neil our spare room for the next four years.”

“But don’t you guys live in Sydney?” Clarissa worked out the answer as soon as she asked the question.

“Yeah, but if he doesn’t mind moving, he’ll be able to go to uni like he wants.” Marcus smiled back at her. “He might not want to leave Melbourne, but he’s now got an option. If something else crops up that suits him better, that’s fine with us; but if not, he can stay with us while he studies.”

* * *

Scott’s jaw dropped. “You’re the guy who was on TV at the start of the month! The one who ran away because his father...” He grinned. “Can I get a photo with you? My girlfriend won’t believe me otherwise.”

Neil chuckled nervously. “Sure.” He tensed as Scott draped an arm across his shoulder, but he managed to put on a smile as Scott held out his phone to take a selfie.

“Thanks, mate. So this is your eighteenth! I’ll do my best to make it a memorable one,” Scott winked, “in a good way, of course.”

“Thanks.” Neil found it easier to look at the equipment that Scott had set on the table than the guy himself. “What did you want to talk to me about?”

“I just wanted to check the playlist for tonight. Todd told me you wanted upbeat dance tracks, mainly pop and rock. Is that right?”

“Yeah, that sounds great.” Neil made himself look up and smile. “Nothing slow and definitely no Justin Bieber or One Direction.”

Scott laughed. “Okay, mate. I’ll see what I can do. If you have any special requests at any time, just let me know. I’m here to serve.”

Neil smiled his thanks and slipped away. The party was due to start in a few minutes, though a couple of early guests had already arrived to help get things ready. Neil decided he wanted to take a moment to steel himself and try to settle his nerves, so he headed to the small kitchen that adjoined the club room.

“Happy birthday, Neil!”

“Thanks, Lorraine.” He gave her what he knew was a weak smile.

She chuckled as she started to remove the plastic wrapper from the top of a few trays of vegetable crudités and dips. “A bit nervous?”

“Yeah, does it show?”

“A little.” Lorraine smiled sweetly. “You’re not as bad as Becky was before her party, though. She was like a cat on a hot tin roof – always moving and constantly asking when everyone would get there.”

“Where is she?” Neil glanced around, though he knew there was no one else in the kitchen with them. “Is Sean here? I didn’t see him.”

“No, the two are staying with my cousin. She takes them a few times a year whenever I need a night off. It’s a big treat for them, but I don’t like doing it too often as it’s a real imposition on Amy.” She grinned. “Sean did ask if I could save a piece of birthday cake for him, though.”

Neil laughed. “Make it a big piece. I saw the cake, and I think there’s going to be plenty left at the end of the night.”

“I thought that, too, but Todd tells me that there’s going to be a lot of people here tonight.” She grimaced as she glanced around the kitchen. “I hope we have enough food.”

Todd poked his head through the door. “There you are! Are you free? I need you to confirm which of your school friends are over eighteen. The club is firm that we can’t offer anyone under eighteen alcohol, so I need to double-check the list.”

Neil nodded and then smiled at Lorraine. He stepped over and gave her a hug. “Thanks for coming and helping out.”

She patted him on the back. “It’s my pleasure, Neil.” She smiled as he released her. “Now go help Todd and then have some fun. It’s your night, Neil. Enjoy it!”

Neil followed Todd out and ran through the list with him. It wasn’t long: just Mary, Clarissa, Liam, and a couple of other people from school whom he’d invited earlier in the week.

Neil hesitated when they finished. “Todd, I don’t mean to be rude, but...”

Todd smiled. “What is it?”

Neil waved a hand, taking in the room. “How much is all this costing? I know you and the brat told me what was going to happen, but I didn’t realise the party was going to be this...big!”

Todd chuckled. “Don’t worry about it. Lots of people have donated money towards the night. Nothing large, just a little bit each, but it all adds up. If you like, you can think of this party as being given to you by the entire club, because practically everyone has contributed in one form or another.”

Neil’s jaw dropped. He hadn’t realised how many people had become involved with his party. Todd grinned, reached over, and gently pushed Neil’s mouth shut.

“I don’t know how I’m going to be able to thank everyone.” Neil dropped his eyes. “If I miss anyone, they’re going to feel insulted.”

“Then don’t try. Just thank everyone without mentioning names and show them all how much you appreciate it by having the best possible time.” Todd pulled Neil into an embrace. “Happy birthday, Neil. From everyone.”

* * *

Doug closed and then leant against the front door of his house. He wiped his brow. “Finally! I thought they’d never leave.”

Liam peered out the front window and watched Doug’s parents drive off. “How long should we give them?”

“Only a couple of minutes. If they’re going to come back because they’ve left something behind, they’ll do so quickly. Just in case, I’ll give you one of my old coats to cover you up as you leave. If they pass you in the street, they won’t recognise you.” Doug grinned. “It’ll also keep you dry if the rain comes back again.”

“Hopefully, it won’t. I don’t want the card and present to get wet.” Liam smiled as he nodded his head towards Doug. “Thanks for getting them for me.”

Doug sighed. “You’re really pushing me, Liam. Me, buying a birthday card and a packet of movie tickets for him? If you weren’t my best mate, or if I wasn’t completely straight...”

Liam blinked. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I mean that if I was the slightest bit that way inclined, I’d be dating you, just to save you from yourself.” Doug chuckled. “Probably just as well I’m not, because I can’t imagine what you’d be like as a boyfriend.” He shuddered. “I don’t even want to think about it. The idea does absolutely nothing for me.”

Liam laughed. “I think that proves that you’re not secretly gay or bi.” He moved over and pulled Doug into a bear hug. “Thanks, mate.”

“Anytime.” Doug frowned after Liam released him. “But I still think you can do better.”

“I know you do.” Liam smiled. “But you’re helping me despite how you feel. I really appreciate that.”

“Yeah, yeah. Enough soppy stuff.” Doug made a dismissive movement with both hands. “Get ready and go before I start throwing up.”

Liam chuckled as he disappeared into Doug’s bedroom to get changed. He was just finishing when the phone rang. He glanced at the caller ID and winced. “Hi!”

“Just checking on you, Liam,” his father said. “You know you need to work on this project of yours tonight. No slacking off until it’s done.”

“Yeah, I know. We’ll need to take a break from time to time, but we’ll work on it until it’s finished.” He hesitated as he realised that his parents may try to check up on him during the night. “I’ve got to go. My phone battery is running low and I didn’t bring my charger.” He crossed his fingers, hoping that the lie would be enough to keep them off his back.

“Okay, thanks. If we need to get hold of you, we’ll ring Doug’s home phone.” There was a momentary pause. “Just a sec. Your mother wants a word.”

“Hello, dear. I just wanted to wish you all the best for tonight. I hope you get everything you need done. Bye, Liam.”

Liam stared at the now-silent phone. He couldn’t help feel that his parents knew exactly what he was up to, but he wasn’t sure what that meant. His mother’s comments sounded positive, but his father’s were worrying.

* * *

“Happy birthday, Neil!” Karen stepped forward and gave him a peck on the cheek. “You’re looking good.”

Neil grinned past her at Clarissa. “Someone took me shopping a few weeks ago and made sure I bought some decent clothes.”

Clarissa chuckled. “I think they look even better than I thought they would.” She gave Neil a quick kiss. “Happy birthday.”

He gave her a hug. “Thank you. Thank you for everything.”

While Neil was greeting the guys who came with them, Clarissa felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see Todd standing there with his phone in his hand.

“Sorry to bother you, but I need to take your picture.” He smiled sheepishly.

“Sure, but why?” She glanced at where Ty, Karen, Deon, Sam, and Marcus were chatting with Neil.

“It’s for the guys at the bar. They need to know who’s under eighteen.” Todd shrugged. “It was one of the conditions on getting the use of the club room. The alternative was to close the bar and make the party dry, but I don’t think that would’ve gone down well.”

“Okay, that’s fine. I wasn’t planning on drinking, anyway.” She smiled as Todd took her picture. “Does that mean that Neil’s going to get drunk?”

“Probably not, but he can if he wants.” Todd smiled at where an obviously happy Neil was still talking. “He got drunk over Easter, and he didn’t really like it. He might have a few drinks, but he’s hoping to spend most of the time on the dance floor instead.”

“Excellent! That’s where I want him, too.” Clarissa took in Todd’s surprised expression. “He wants to dance, and I want him to have a good time. And maybe he’ll find himself a nice dance partner.”

Todd frowned and leant forward to ensure they wouldn’t be overheard. “Please don’t push him. I know Liam’s been invited, but don’t push them together. There’s too much chance of ruining the party for Neil.”

Clarissa shoved her own doubts to one side as she turned to eye Neil. “I’ll give them opportunities. What happens after that will be up to them.” She glanced up at Todd. “I won’t make Neil do anything he doesn’t want to do. I might encourage him to move a bit out of his comfort zone, but that’s all.”

“I don’t want him hurt. He’s been hurt too much already, and I want him to have good memories of this night.”

Clarissa smiled. “So do I.” She looked over at Neil. “So do I.”

* * *

After entering the club room, Liam paused and scanned the area, looking for Neil. He found him at the far end as part of a large group dancing. Liam recognised Clarissa, Evelyn, and Mary from school, along with a number of the Leopards players, some with girlfriends.

Nervous, he approached to the edge of the dance floor. He waited until the current song ended and then stepped forward.

“Happy birthday,” Liam said as he held out the card, inside which he had placed the movie tickets.

Liam waited nervously as Neil stared impassively for what seemed like forever before accepting the gift. “Thank you,” were Neil’s only words, though Liam took it as a positive that neither the words nor Neil’s expression indicated distaste. Indifference was a step up from what he’d been experiencing at school.

When he encountered the small booklet of tickets, Neil’s eyes widened, and he flicked Liam a puzzled glance. He gave Liam a smile, though it seemed uncertain. “Thank you very much.”

Liam grinned. “I’m glad you like them. I know you asked for money or things to help you get settled, but I thought you could do with something that’d allow you to have some fun.”

Neil stared for a moment with a faint aura of perplexity. “Thanks.” He looked away. “I’ll put these with the rest.”

Liam was about to follow him when he felt a hand on his arm. He turned to find Clarissa standing next to him, looking annoyed.

“About time you turned up. I’ve been waiting.” She crossed her arms. “Neil likes to dance, but there’s a shortage of single gay guys around. I hope you’ll do something about that.”

Liam smiled. “I already knew about the dancing. As for the single gay guys, what I really want is to increase the shortage by reducing the number by two.”

Clarissa chuckled as she uncrossed her arms. “Best of luck with that. I think you’re in with a chance, but it won’t be easy. Stubborn Boy is trying to pretend he’s not interested.”

Liam swallowed. “Do you really think he’s only pretending?”

She fixed him with one of her steely stares, though this one had a touch of sympathy. “That’ll be your job to determine. Just be careful. He’s likely to bolt if you push too hard.”

* * *

“This is so frustrating!” Clarissa glared in the direction where Neil had disappeared with Ty and Deon on their way to getting some more bottles of water.

“We can’t force him.” Karen chuckled, though with little amusement. “But I agree with you. What did you call him before? Stubborn Boy? The name’s very appropriate.”

“What are you two girls talking about?” Oliver had his arm around Helena’s waist as they took a break from dancing.

“We’re trying to get Neil to talk to Liam or at least dance with him, but he’s spending all his time ignoring the guy.” Karen frowned. “No, that’s not quite right. He’s spending all his time trying to ignore Liam, but whenever he thinks Liam’s not looking, all his focus is on watching him. As soon as Liam glances in his direction, Neil looks away.”

Oliver chuckled. “Sounds like he’s keen on the guy but is a little shy.” He grinned at Helena. “A problem I didn’t have when I met this girl.”

Clarissa rolled her eyes. “Neil tolerates Liam out on the dance floor with him, but only when we’re all in a group. If we try to leave the two of them out there by themselves, Neil follows us. He doesn’t seem to get the hint that he can dance with Liam.”

“Did you try offering Neil some alcohol?” Oliver asked. “Something to loosen the inhibitions and let a little chemistry happen?”

“He’s not interested. He’s had one beer, I think, and that’s it. He wants to dance, not drink.” Karen sighed. “He’s having a good time, and I don’t want to ruin that, but Clarissa and I can both tell he’s interested in Liam. He just can’t take that first step, and Liam’s not going to try too hard in case he drives Neil away.”

Helena looked around. “Where is Liam?”

“He stepped outside.” Clarissa snorted. “He said he needed a bit of fresh air, but I think he wanted somewhere private to scream. Once he’s got it out of his system, he’ll be back.”

Helena’s brow wrinkled in thought. “What you need is something that puts the two together where Neil doesn’t have an excuse to leave but where he has to concentrate on Liam.”

“Exactly! Now, what is that thing?” Clarissa sighed. “I really think that Neil wants to give Liam a chance, but he’s too scared. He’s been burnt before, and he doesn’t want to get burnt again.”

“Do you blame him?” Helena asked. “Liam might have the best intentions, but that wasn’t always the case.”

“No, you’re right.” Clarissa gave Oliver and Helena a wry smile. “Which means I can’t get too angry, even leaving aside that his birthday party is not the best time to yell at him.”

Oliver frowned. “I’ve got an idea. It mightn’t work, but it shouldn’t cause any problems if it doesn’t.”

“What is it?” Karen asked.

Clarissa quickly interjected. “Not now! They’re coming back.” She nodded her head towards where Ty, Deon, and Neil were returning with the drinks.

“Just follow our lead,” Oliver said. “Not the next dance set, but the one after that. We’ll do it then.”

* * *

Scott, the DJ, frowned. “I was told to play mainly rock and dance pop. That’s what Neil wants. He seemed keen not to have any slow tracks.”

Oliver smiled as he leant forward so he wouldn’t have to yell over the music. “What the birthday boy wants and what the birthday boy needs are two different things. He needs a slow dance. Either one long one or two shorter ones in succession. Trust me.”

“I don’t know...” Scott glanced over the small dance floor. “It’s seems pretty lively. I’d hate to change things and end up killing the mood. It’d be different if I’d been playing a mixture from the start, but after more than an hour, a change could be disruptive.”

Oliver pulled out his wallet. “If I gave you twenty...?”

Scott waved a hand. “Sorry, I can’t accept. It’s against company policy.” He paused in thought. “I could put on Bon Jovi’s Always, and if that goes well then maybe Westlife’s Flying Without Wings. How does that sound?”

Oliver blinked. “I have no idea which songs you’re talking about, but if you think they’re appropriate, that sounds great. Just wait for me to look at you and nod my head and then make them the next tracks. Thanks, Scott. Are you sure there isn’t something I can do for you?”

Scott gave Oliver a half smile. “I am thirsty. A rum and Coke would go down really nicely around now. Just one. I can’t afford to drink too much.”

Oliver grinned. “I’ll be back in a sec. Thanks, mate.”

Helena slipped up next to him as he headed to the bar. “Well?”

“All organised. I just have to get the DJ a drink. Once I give him the signal, he’ll switch the music to a slow dance. After that, it’ll be all up to Neil and Liam.”

* * *

Liam was dancing with Neil, Clarissa, Deon, Ty, and Karen. Liam had spotted enough surreptitious glances from Neil to know that his presence was noted, though he was otherwise being ignored. Liam wasn’t sure what Neil’s silence meant, but he took the fact that he wasn’t being completely snubbed as a positive.

When the current dance track ended, the transition to a slower, romantic, soft-rock piece caught them all by surprise. With a grin, Ty took Karen into his arms, and Deon did the same with Clarissa. Not sure what to do, Liam and Neil found themselves staring at each other.

Taking a chance, Liam held out a hand. “May I?”

Neil scowled, though he stayed where he was. Liam took a hesitant half step forward, afraid that Neil would run away. “It’s your birthday, Neil. One dance, that’s all I’m asking for.”

When Neil didn’t move, Liam took another step and then cautiously reached out to take Neil’s left hand. When there was no immediate response, Liam took hold of the other, so they were facing each other, hand in hand.

“Don’t try anything,” Neil warned as he watched Liam’s face.

Liam smiled as he realised that Neil’s scowl had disappeared. “I won’t. It’s just a dance.” Trying to not intimidate his dance partner, Liam forced himself to look past Neil, though what he really wanted to do was to memorise every detail of Neil’s face.

The two moved gently to the music. Each time he looked, Liam found Neil staring at him with a faint expression of perplexity. He suspected Neil was watching the whole time, wondering what Liam was going to do next. Liam tried to give him a soft, encouraging smile, but Neil’s expression didn’t change. As the dance continued, Liam found himself locking eyes with Neil more often and for longer periods of time. He silently willed his dance partner to understand, to take the next step, but it didn’t happen. When the music ended, the two were still hand-in-hand, an arm’s length apart.

Liam didn’t let go, and Neil made no attempt to relax his clasp, either. Liam tried to sense what Neil was feeling, but Neil’s expression still gave little away. Liam tightened his grip for a moment as he smiled into Neil’s eyes in an attempt to reassure him. When another slow song started and Neil didn’t try to leave, Liam slowly, gently pulled his and Neil’s arms back, giving Neil the choice to step forward or let go.

Neil took a step forward.

Encouraged, Liam started to sway to the song while continuing to slowly pull their arms back towards his sides. Neil’s gaze never left Liam’s as he mimicked Liam’s moves. When Liam’s hands started to go behind his own back, Neil’s eyes widened. He could either release their hands, or find himself with his arms around Liam, their bodies almost touching.

Neil closed his eyes and allowed himself to be moved. When their chests touched, Neil let go of Liam’s hands but kept his arms where they were. His hands moved to Liam’s back, and they started their own slow dance. Liam closed his eyes as he reached out and wrapped his arms around Neil.

Liam squeezed gently, holding Neil close to him, and the two rested their heads on each other’s shoulders. A faint odour made Liam’s nose wrinkle. He realised it was from the sweat that Neil had raised earlier while dancing, but Liam didn’t care. It wasn’t the most alluring of scents, but it was Neil’s.

The two were barely moving, more just swaying from side to side, maintaining maximum body contact. Liam wanted the moment to last forever. He could hear some vague murmurings over the sound of the music, but he didn’t try to make them out. He wanted to enjoy the time together; all other matters could wait.

When the second song ended, the two held each other for a moment longer. Neil loosened his grip and Liam reciprocated, opening his eyes in the process, but instead of moving away, Neil simply leant back slightly so he could look at Liam while keeping their lower bodies in contact.

Liam peered into Neil’s eyes, wondering, hoping, and found only nervous hesitancy. Taking another chance, Liam cautiously leant forward until their lips touched. Eyes closed again, Liam kissed the guy he had been dreaming about for weeks.

Liam couldn’t say how long they stayed like that. Neil’s lips had parted and their tongues started to caress each other. Slowly, gently. It wasn’t a kiss of great vigour, but Liam didn’t care. He was enjoying the moment, and he didn’t want it to end. He had heard stories of fireworks going off when kissing a person’s soul mate, but he never expected to experience the flashing lights. It was only when Neil suddenly pushed him away and Liam’s eyes opened that he realised it wasn’t fireworks, it was the flash of numerous phones and cameras.

Neil stared at Liam for a moment longer and then at the grinning crowd surrounding them. He swallowed, and panic appeared on his face. After one more look at Liam, with an expression that Liam couldn’t decipher, he turned and ran.

“Neil!” Liam stared for a moment, too stunned to react, and in that time Neil disappeared. “Neil!

Liam started after him, but the crowd seemed to go out of their way to impede his motion. By the time he pushed through, the door to the outside was open and Neil was nowhere in sight.

* * *

Neil was hunched up in the grandstand, staring blankly over the dark football oval. He’d made a fool of himself, and he didn’t know what to do. He could go back to his party and let people laugh at him for panicking, or he could stay where he was and be miserable.

He heard someone approaching and closed his eyes, not wanting to see who it was. There was one person he both hoped it would be – and also hoped it wasn’t. It was easier for Neil to let the matter be taken out of his control.

An arm was draped over his shoulder and Neil received a small squeeze that he thought was supposed to be reassuring.

“This is getting to be a habit.” The matter of fact tone with just a touch of wryness had Neil’s eyes opening. Sam smiled at him. “You still run and hide when something unexpected happens.”

Neil sighed. “I’m pathetic.”

“No, you’re human. Can I go out on a limb and guess that was your first real kiss with anyone?”

Neil nodded.

“If you look on the bright side, almost no one has their first kiss recorded. You’re special.” Sam tilted his head. “I believe there’s a party going on and they’re going to cut the cake soon. Do you want to join us or would you like some more time up here?”

“They’re all going to poke fun at me!”

“No, they won’t. Between Todd, Ty, and Liam, no one will be game to.” Sam paused. “Most won’t want to, anyway. A lot of people thought it was sweet. Marcus said it reminded him of our first kiss.”

Neil blinked. He concentrated on one name that Sam had mentioned. “Liam? What’s he got to do with it?”

“He told everyone to fuck off for interfering.” Sam chuckled. “He was really angry and didn’t try to curb his language. It seems it was his first kiss, too, at least with a guy.”

Neil glanced around. “Where is he?”

“With everyone else. Karen was the one who spotted you up here, but I pulled rank and told them all to wait.” Sam smiled. “It was a close thing, though. Todd tried to push me out of the way, and I think it took three guys to stop Liam from storming up here. Ty convinced them all that it would be better if only one person came up to see you, and Ty let me be that person.”

“Why? I mean, why you? Why are you doing this?”

Sam raised an eyebrow. “You haven’t opened all your birthday presents yet, have you?”

“No. What’s that got to do with anything?”

“When you get a chance, find the one that Marcus and I gave you, and I think it’ll answer the question.” Sam stood up. “Do you want to come down now, or would you like to sit here for a bit longer until you’re ready?”

“I’m...I think I’ll sit for a bit longer.” Neil gave Sam a weak smile. “Thank you.”

“Just so you know, you don’t have to sit alone. If you’d like someone to join you, I’m sure it can be arranged.”

Neil swallowed. He understood what Sam was suggesting. “Please, that would be nice.”

“And the person you’d like to sit with you is...?”

Neil closed his eyes. “Liam...if he wants to.”

* * *

“He’s not coming down?” Liam frowned as he glanced from Sam to Neil in the grandstand.

Sam smiled. “He will. He just needs a little time. He did say that if you wanted to join him, you...” Sam chuckled as Liam disappeared before he could finish.

“He’s okay?” Ty asked.

“Yeah, just a bit stressed, that’s all.” Sam glanced back up to where Liam was approaching Neil. “I think we should all go inside and give them some privacy.”

Ty turned and narrowed his eyes at the others that were crowding around. “You heard him. Everyone inside. Move!”

Ty made sure he was the last one inside. He glanced back up into the shadows at the top of the grandstand, but he couldn’t make out any details as to what was happening up there. After a moment’s reflection, he decided that that was probably for the best.

Don't forget you can also comment in the discussion forum thread!
Copyright © 2015 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

:blink: I'm speechless ! THEY KISSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

And I so wanted to hear Liam rip everyone's heads off for ruining the moment. :rofl:

Well, Neil is never going to forget his 18th birthday, that's for sure. :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hi Graeme,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Leopard Spots.

 

I think this was the perfect birthday party for Neil. The girls gave him just enough rope to hang himself, figuratively of course.

 

Sam and Marcus really do a lot of good for Neil, and consequently Liam.

 

Another great chapter. Keep up the amazing work.

 

 

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Perfectly danced, my friend. Simply lovely. I adore Clarissa and Deon drifting together without drama or angst. It's like their eyes met and they said, let's take a turn around the dance floor, without saying a word. I love the way you've maneuvered Neil into seeing he has support around him now. He's not alone like he was. His parents may love him but they didn't really know him. These people know him and still care deeply. So he has the courage to take a step forward and dance for the first time. Though dancing is scary when others watch. Now Liam can comfort him and let him know it's okay. I have to read this chapter again. I love dancing. Thank you Graeme.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Graeme, that was perfect! You've been building up to this party for weeks, and it Was well worth the wait. The early anxiety and frustration built perfectly to a beautiful climax...followed by more anxiety and frustration (of course ;) ) and a delightful resolution. Like Tim, I would have enjoyed seeing Liam's outburst, but hearing about afterwards it was fun, too.

 

I hope this doesn't mean We're getting to the end of the story. Also, this chapter was appropriately all about Neil; I am looking forward to hearing more from the brat in the aftermath of the Victoria game.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This was sooo perfect and cute and awww, that really made my heart ache.

 

Anyway, to be honest, I just came back from a party and I'm... not exactly sober. But since it's the state I was in when reading the chapter, I will write my review in this state, too. - Thinking about it, probably not-sober is a pretty good choice of state to be reading about a party where people are drinking.

 

1. Great choice of music! Thanks to you, tonight I have an endless loop of Bon Jovi going!

2. Kissy kissy! Finally!!! It SO was time for that. Although the whole scene reads more like a hollywood-movie than like reality, it still is totally cute, adorable, great, perfect, and actually, it could still happen like that in real life. Well, as I always say, an accomplished author is one who can write fictitious scenes believably. You definitely did this.

3. If I was allergic to cuteness, I'd sue you :P

 

I had more to say, but I do not remember right now. So I will just finish my review by saying that I loved this chapter and that I'm looking forward to the next one

 

<3

Sammy

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/18/2015 03:03 PM, Timothy M. said:
:blink: I'm speechless ! THEY KISSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

And I so wanted to hear Liam rip everyone's heads off for ruining the moment. :rofl:

Well, Neil is never going to forget his 18th birthday, that's for sure. :lol:

There are certain things that are no printable. Liam's actions were one of those things :P
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/18/2015 06:33 PM, shyboy85 said:
Hi Graeme,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Leopard Spots.

 

I think this was the perfect birthday party for Neil. The girls gave him just enough rope to hang himself, figuratively of course.

 

Sam and Marcus really do a lot of good for Neil, and consequently Liam.

 

Another great chapter. Keep up the amazing work.

 

 

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

Thanks, Maarten!

 

Yes, I think Neil's received something really special for his birthday :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/18/2015 10:13 PM, Cole Matthews said:
Perfectly danced, my friend. Simply lovely. I adore Clarissa and Deon drifting together without drama or angst. It's like their eyes met and they said, let's take a turn around the dance floor, without saying a word. I love the way you've maneuvered Neil into seeing he has support around him now. He's not alone like he was. His parents may love him but they didn't really know him. These people know him and still care deeply. So he has the courage to take a step forward and dance for the first time. Though dancing is scary when others watch. Now Liam can comfort him and let him know it's okay. I have to read this chapter again. I love dancing. Thank you Graeme.
Thanks, Cole! Neil's changed a lot over the two months since he first tried to contact Jim. He's still got his problems (like running away at times), but he seems to be the right track at last.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/18/2015 10:38 PM, impunity said:
Graeme, that was perfect! You've been building up to this party for weeks, and it Was well worth the wait. The early anxiety and frustration built perfectly to a beautiful climax...followed by more anxiety and frustration (of course ;) ) and a delightful resolution. Like Tim, I would have enjoyed seeing Liam's outburst, but hearing about afterwards it was fun, too.

 

I hope this doesn't mean We're getting to the end of the story. Also, this chapter was appropriately all about Neil; I am looking forward to hearing more from the brat in the aftermath of the Victoria game.

Thank you! Yes, the build up has taken weeks. I kept trying to jump the story forward, but other things kept interfering....

 

If this was a print novel, you'd be able to see how far there is still to go. The story is over halfway through, but there's still a long way to go.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/19/2015 12:58 AM, Defiance19 said:
So good I can't even express it, so I'm only going to say, THAT WAS PERFECT!!!! That's all.....
Thank you!
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 04/19/2015 10:16 AM, Sammy Blue said:
This was sooo perfect and cute and awww, that really made my heart ache.

 

Anyway, to be honest, I just came back from a party and I'm... not exactly sober. But since it's the state I was in when reading the chapter, I will write my review in this state, too. - Thinking about it, probably not-sober is a pretty good choice of state to be reading about a party where people are drinking.

 

1. Great choice of music! Thanks to you, tonight I have an endless loop of Bon Jovi going!

2. Kissy kissy! Finally!!! It SO was time for that. Although the whole scene reads more like a hollywood-movie than like reality, it still is totally cute, adorable, great, perfect, and actually, it could still happen like that in real life. Well, as I always say, an accomplished author is one who can write fictitious scenes believably. You definitely did this.

3. If I was allergic to cuteness, I'd sue you :P

 

I had more to say, but I do not remember right now. So I will just finish my review by saying that I loved this chapter and that I'm looking forward to the next one

 

<3

Sammy

Thank you! In the lead up to writing this chapter, I spent a lot of time listening to an 'easy listening' radio station. Those two songs seemed to fit what I wanted, so that's what I used. I would've liked to have included the lyrics, but then I'd get into lots of copyright complications....

 

Yes, it was cute. I make no apologies for that :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It sort of figures it was Ollie who came up with a scheme to get Neil and Liam to dance. :lol: 

And I'm sure Neil will eventually appreciate the photos of them kissing.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
8 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

It sort of figures it was Ollie who came up with a scheme to get Neil and Liam to dance. :lol: 

And I'm sure Neil will eventually appreciate the photos of them kissing.

Ollie is the romantic of the group, even if he sometimes confuses romance and sex...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..