Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 7,938 Words
  • 3,734 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Spots - 48. Chapter 48

Sunday 27th July, 2014

Liam accepted the birthday present and then leant over and gave Clarissa a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks for coming.”

“Thanks for inviting me.” She glanced up at the overcast sky. “At least it’s stopped raining.”

Liam chuckled. “I knew I was taking a risk in having an outdoors party in the middle of winter, but given that it’s football, most people wouldn’t care. I’m just glad it wasn’t yesterday.”

There had been almost constant rain the previous day, never heavy, but enough to make the football oval muddy. A number of the earlier guests were already half-covered in mud as they kicked some footballs to each other.

“I’m not most people.” Clarissa smiled. “Don’t expect me to get muddy. I’ll leave that to you guys.” She looked around. “Where’s Neil?”

“Helping get things ready for the clinic.” He nodded his head towards the players’ entrance. “They’re in the locker room if you want to go in and say hello. Also, just so you know, the visitors’ room is off limits for the day. The guys are using it to get changed and then for their shower afterwards.”

“Thanks.” She cocked her head as she took in Liam’s appearance. He was wearing what appeared to be a new Leopards training top – she guessed it was a birthday present from someone on the team – above football shorts and boots. She also saw goosebumps on his bare arms and legs from the cold. “I can see you’re all ready, but you’re still clean. When are you heading out and joining the other testosterone-filled maniacs?”

“In about ten minutes. I’m just waiting for a few more people to arrive.” Liam paused. “Did Neil tell you about the get-together tonight at my place?”

Clarissa chuckled. “Yeah, the second birthday party. I’ll be there.”

“Thanks. I’m only having a few people over, but I wanted you to be one of them.” Liam smiled. “You mightn’t be what I wanted in a partner, but you’re certainly someone I’m happy to call a friend.”

She stared for a moment and then smiled back. “Yeah, I think you’re a better friend than a boyfriend.” She glanced over her shoulder where two more guys had just arrived. “I’ll leave you with your guests. Have fun!”

Not really sure where else to go, Clarissa headed into the locker room. She’d only taken a couple of steps inside when she was spotted by Neil.

Neil grinned. “Clarissa! I’m glad you could make it.”

Her suspicions at the overly loud voice were confirmed when a couple of seconds later Deon appeared. He grinned at her. “G’day.”

“Why do I get the feeling that I’ve been set up?” she asked, not looking at either guy directly. She had suspected that Deon was behind her invitation to the football clinic, but that hadn’t stopped her from accepting. She also couldn’t object to being up close and personal with a good-looking, muscular guy in football shorts and a sleeveless training top. “G’day, Deon. I take it you’re helping out with the footy clinic today?”

He nodded. “I’m going to be running through the accuracy drills Julie taught me this year with some of the forwards.”

“Julie?”

“One of our assistant coaches. Also Paul’s sister.” Deon glanced at Neil. “Has Clarissa met Paul?”

Neil looked uncertain. “I don’t think so. He wasn’t around when she came to our place, and he wasn’t at my party.”

Clarissa waved a hand dismissively. “Karen pointed Paul out to me at one of the matches, though she didn’t mention that his sister was one of the coaches. I haven’t spoken to him, but I know who he is.”

“Okay.” Deon hesitated for a moment before grinning again. “My understanding is that the clinic will run for about ninety minutes, and then Liam’s going to cut his cake and there’s going to be some chill time afterwards. Maybe we can catch up then?”

Clarissa stared for long enough that Deon’s grin slipped away. She then smiled. “Maybe we can. I’ll see you around.” After Deon’s return smile and nod, she turned back to Neil. “By the way, did your boyfriend organise anything for those of us who don’t intend to do impromptu mud wrestling?”

Neil smirked. “Besides watching a bunch of good-looking guys indulging in mud wrestling?” He chuckled. “I think it’s chatting and catching up on the gossip. However, if you like I can–”

Neil was interrupted by a young boy in footy shorts and jumper who raced up and grabbed his shirt. “You’re not changed yet! Mummy said you’re going to play kick-to-kick with me.”

“I’m about to get changed, Sean. I’ll be there soon.” Neil went down on one knee so his face was closer to eye height for Sean. “Ty told me that he’s looking forward to you teaching him what you learnt at AusKick yesterday. Are you ready for that?”

“Sure!” Sean glanced around. “Where is he?”

“He’s already outside. You go ahead, and I’ll get changed and join you.” Neil stood up and gave Clarissa an apologetic smile as Sean raced off. “Sorry, duty calls.”

She chuckled. “Okay. I’ll see what I can do to amuse myself while you have fun.”

Neil rolled his eyes. “Fun? Sean’s not only past my standard when it comes to football, but he also doesn’t stop. I’m going to be exhausted by the end of the party.”

Clarissa gave a snort of laughter. “I’m sure Liam will look after you.” She smiled as Neil headed over to one of the lockers along the side wall, though she raised an eyebrow when he stripped off his shirt and pulled out a training top similar to the one that Liam had been wearing.

Neil put his hand to his pants and then glanced across. His face went red. “Do you mind turning around for a sec?”

Clarissa turned her back while she wondered about Neil’s erratic behaviour. When she had asked earlier in the week, Neil hadn’t explained why his attitude had changed on Wednesday, but she was happy that it had. He and Liam were back to being the happy couple they had been a couple of weeks earlier. Liam had confided in her that Neil hadn’t explained it to him, either, but Liam didn’t want to push.

“Okay, I’m off,” Neil said as he moved up next to her. “If you think I need rescuing from Sean, don’t be afraid to come up with some sort of excuse to get me away.” Neil grinned. “Telling Sean that he’s worn me out will probably suffice, especially since it’s likely to be true.”

Clarissa chuckled. “Go and do your duty.” She paused to take in not only Neil’s grin but the developing muscles being shown by his sleeveless training top and shorts. “You’re looking good, Neil. I think Liam’s going to be a little distracted today.”

Neil blushed and looked away. “Got to go.”

Clarissa watched him head outside. After a glance around the slowly emptying locker room, she followed him out. It seemed like it was up to her to find where all the other non-combatants would be watching the afternoon’s activities.

* * *

Doug glanced around the visitors’ locker room. There was a general buzz of excitement from the guys as they prepared themselves for the afternoon’s training session. Deciding that he couldn’t wait for any latecomers, Doug whistled loudly. “Listen up, guys!”

The noise level died down as the others turned to stare at him.

“This is Liam’s party. We’re all going to get something out of it, but I don’t want anyone to fuck things up. I want him to enjoy this.”

“I’m not bending over for him, if that’s what you’re asking,” one young man yelled out. His grin and that of those around him indicated he wasn’t being serious.

“It’s not that. You all know who Liam’s boyfriend is...” Doug paused at the cascade of winces that swept through the room, “...but for Liam’s sake, today we all call him by his real name. Liam doesn’t like the name ‛Four-Dork’, so we’re not going to use it.” He finished up by sweeping the room with a glare. “Got it?”

“I’d prefer to not talk to or about him at all,” someone said.

“What the fuck is his real name, anyway?” another guy asked.

“It’s Neil. If you need to refer to him, that’s the name you use.” Doug realised that he was killing the mood, even though he felt it needed to be said. “Hopefully, you won’t have to. And just in case you didn’t know, Neil’s the one who organised this clinic. The Leopards are good friends of his, so they’ll probably be pissed off if you make any comments, too.”

“What about you?” Steven Anderson asked. His belligerent stance reminded Doug of the times at school when the two had clashed. “You’re the fucking guy who gave him the nickname in the first place. Are you suddenly mates with him now?”

Doug scowled. “No, I’m fucking not. But he’s the boyfriend of my best friend, so, yes, I’m going to keep my fucking mouth shut. If I don’t, you can hit me.”

Steven’s eyes widened. “Seriously?”

“Seriously.” Doug grimaced. “I want this to be a great day for Liam, Stevo. I’ll do what I have to.”

Steven nodded slowly. He glanced at the other guys and then returned his attention back to Doug. “Okay, for Liam I think we can do that.” He glanced around the room again. “Right, guys?”

Doug smiled when there was a general agreement. No one was enthusiastic, but no one seemed strenuously opposed, either. “In that case, let’s get out there and have fun! I’ve been told we’ll be in groups of between two and four, so it’ll be close to individual-skills coaching.”

The previous excitement started to reappear as the guys jogged out onto the oval. There they found Liam, eight of the Leopard players, and one female in a Leopards tracksuit. Past them, at the far end of the ground, Doug saw Neil playing kick-to-kick with a young kid.

The tallest of the players took a step forward. He was holding a sheet of paper. “G’day, everyone. For those who weren’t there or don’t remember me from the school clinic, I’m Roger, the captain of the Leopards and a former AFL player.” He grinned. “This time I’m not on crutches, which is going to make things a lot easier. I’m not going to introduce everyone else – I’ll let them do that themselves. Instead, I’ll let you know which groups you’re in.”

Roger glanced at the list in his hand. “First up, Stevo and Doug, you’re with Julie.”

An anonymous voice jeered from the back of the group. “Doug and Stevo are going to get taught by a girl!”

“Oh, fuck, now they’ve done it.” Doug heard one of the Leopard players mutter. He didn’t catch which one, as he was trying to work out who had spoken. Someone was about to need a dentist.

“Listen up!” Roger’s raised voice drew everyone’s attention. “For your information, Julie’s one of our assistant coaches, and the rest of us here do what she tells us. Before that, she was the head coach for the Broncos and took them to the finals – twice.” Roger’s glare held the young guys’ attention. “Over there,” Roger pointed, “is Deon Bradshaw. He currently heads the VFL’s goal-scorer list, had a meeting with the Western Bulldogs earlier this week, and was approached by the Sydney Swans on Friday. There’s a good chance the next time you see him, he’ll be an AFL player.” Roger swept the guys with a hard stare while Deon blushed and stared down at the ground. “Julie’s the coach who sorted out some problems he was having and has put him on the path to the AFL. If she tells you something, listen to her. She knows what she’s talking about.”

Julie stepped forward. “That’s enough, Roger. Stevo, Doug, come with me.” She glanced over her shoulder. “Oh, and brat...I think you could do with some extra training on Tuesday. I don’t need you making comments.”

“Fuck!” The player who had spoken before grimaced and looked away.

Roger chuckled as he glanced at the paper in his hand. “Brat, you’ve got Sam, Lachie, and Keith. Deon, you’re taking Greg and Jeremy.”

While Roger proceeded to work his way through the list, assigning the young guys to one of the players who had volunteered their time, Julie led Steven and Doug away.

“Okay, guys. According to what I’ve been told, you’re both midfielders. Is that right?” Julie asked. When both guys agreed, she smiled. “In that case, let’s get warmed up before we start some agility work. Then we’ll look at your individual skill levels and see what we can do about improving them. Don’t expect too much from today. What I’ll be doing is pointing out some little things that can make a difference, plus giving you some exercises that will reinforce those things. Whether you continue with those exercises will be your decision.”

“How much time have we got?” Steven asked. “Liam said it would be up to you guys.”

“The plan is for an hour, maybe an hour and ten, and then to have a scratch match for another thirty minutes.” Julie chuckled. “Just be happy that this isn’t a serious training session, so I’m not going to try to run you into the ground.”

“I can take it,” Doug said. He wasn’t going to let someone presume he wasn’t capable of training flat out.

“Me, too,” Steven said.

Julie stared at the two of them. “Are you sure, because I’ll tell you now, I won’t go easy on you.”

Steven and Doug exchanged glances. “We’re sure,” they chorused.

Julie grinned. “Okay, then. Let’s start off easy with a couple of sprints around the oval.”

Doug didn’t like the look of that grin. “You mean the length of the oval, don’t you?”

“I said what I meant.” She chuckled. “Don’t worry, I’ll try not to leave you behind.” She turned and started running.

Doug and Steven looked at each other and then proceeded to give chase. Doug had a sinking feeling that he had just been suckered into doing something stupid.

* * *

Clarissa found the small group of onlookers in the corner of the grandstand. Besides a number of girls, there were also a few parents, including Liam’s, watching the guys practise. She recognised a couple of the girls as girlfriends of some of Liam’s football teammates that she hadn’t seen for awhile and moved over to join them.

“Clarissa! It’s been a long time. How have you been?” The boisterous blonde stood up and gave Clarissa an air peck on the cheek.

“I’ve been good, Tara. How have you been?” Clarissa sat down next to her.

“Same old.” Tara shrugged. “I haven’t seen you around for a long time.”

Clarissa snorted. “After Liam and I broke up, I didn’t really have a reason to go see his football matches.”

“True.” Tara chuckled. “But you’re here today, so I’m guessing you and Liam have patched up your differences.”

“To a large degree.” Clarissa smiled. “I have reason to believe that my invitation was more as a favour to his boyfriend, though Liam did make it clear that he was happy to see me.”

Tara shook her head in wonder. “Who would’ve thought that Liam was gay?” She grimaced. “That must’ve come as a big shock to you.”

“I think that’s an understatement.” Clarissa shrugged. “That’s ancient history now. What have you been up to?”

The two spent the next ten minutes catching up while keeping half an eye on the guys’ training. Tara was filling Clarissa in on her continuing relationship with Jeremy when she gave Clarissa an apologetic look. “I’m sorry. I’ve been talking about my boyfriend all this time, and I never asked you if you’ve found someone.”

Clarissa chuckled. “Not yet, though there’s one guy who’s keen to ask me out.”

“Really?” Tara grinned. “Details, please. One of the guys from your school, or did you meet him elsewhere? How good-looking is he?”

“Have a look for yourself. He’s the one over there on the left, giving Jeremy pointers on his kicking action.”

Tara put a hand to her mouth. “Oh. My. God! You’re dating a VFL footballer!”

“No, I’m not dating him. He’s asked me out, and I’ve turned him down.”

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Tara glared. “Why did you do something stupid like that?”

Clarissa grinned at Tara’s over-the-top reaction. She knew from past experience that Tara never hid her emotions, but she didn’t have a malicious bone in her body. If she was abrupt, it was because that’s how she felt.

“Deon’s on the rebound. He only broke up with his last girlfriend a couple of months ago. Or, rather, she broke up with him.”

“So, while he’s good looking, he’s a bastard in real life?”

“No...” Clarissa leant forward as she watched Deon giving instructions. “Football is his priority. I don’t know if you caught it, but Roger said earlier that Deon’s been approached by some of the AFL teams. His last girlfriend couldn’t handle being in second place behind a game. He’s a nice guy, but I don’t know if he’s ready to make any sort of commitment. His focus is going to be on football, not a girlfriend.”

“Well, if you won’t take him, I will.” Tara’s tone was very matter-of-fact.

Clarissa blinked and gave Tara a perplexed look. “What about Jeremy?”

“He’ll have to get used to sharing.” Tara kept a straight face for a moment later and then laughed. “No, I wouldn’t do that to him. Jeremy’s good to me. But I still think you’re an idiot. You’ve said Deon’s nice. He’s good looking, and it sounds like he’s got a successful football career ahead of him. Go for it, girl!”

Clarissa sighed. Tara wasn’t telling her anything new, but after having one relationship failure because she’d picked the wrong guy, she didn’t want to do the same with the next.

* * *

Doug draped a muddy arm across Liam’s equally muddy shoulders. “Great game, mate. I thought we’d have it in the bag with an ex-AFL player and a future AFL player on our team, but your team definitely outplayed us.”

Liam grinned. “The Dad and brat combination is pretty deadly. Julie told me to make sure I picked both when we were selecting the two teams.”

Doug gave him a shove, making Liam fall face first in the mud. “You cheat! I thought it was going to be a fair match! After what you’ve just said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Julie ran me and Stevo into the ground so we wouldn’t be able to play as well as we should’ve.”

Liam laughed as Doug helped him back to his feet. “It was fair. From what Julie told me, you’re the one who said you wanted to train hard. As for Dad and the brat, you could’ve picked them. You went for Roger and Deon to start with, and I went for Jim and Ty. You picked two forwards, and I picked two players that can span most of the ground. It’s your own fault.”

“Yeah, but you had inside information on who to pick.” Doug grinned. “However, you won on your birthday, so I can’t really complain.”

Liam grinned back. “But you will, anyway.”

“Of course! That’s what friends are for.” Doug glanced towards the visitors’ change room where the other guys were starting for their shower and to get changed. “Er, Liam, do you suppose...that is...”

“Relax.” Liam smiled. “Neil and I will be taking our showers in the Leopards change room. Officially, they’re offering me the better change room because it’s my birthday.”

Doug was relieved. It had been something that had been bothering him, though he hadn’t found a way to say anything before then. He glanced behind them where Neil and Sean were bringing in the goal-umpire flags. The two had shared the duties at one end of the ground during the scratch match, with the six-year-old being the energetic and enthusiastic flag waver. Doug turned back to his best friend. “Thanks. Just remember to keep your hands to yourself.”

Liam gave him a shy smile. “Maybe. It depends on whether Neil asks for any help.”

Doug held up both hands. “Too much information, mate!” He smiled. “Okay, time to clean up. I’ll see you soon.” He jogged off to join the guys.

Just before he entered the locker room, Rod grabbed him by the arm. Doug glared, though Rod had been meek and mild ever since Doug had torn strips off him on Wednesday. Rod immediately dropped his hand.

“Er...Doug...some of the guys were worried...that is...wondering if...er...Liam...”

Doug scowled for a moment, though he understood their concerns. “Liam’s using the other change room. The wimps are safe for today.”

Rod looked relieved. “Thanks, Doug. I’ll let them know.”

Doug grabbed Rod’s football jumper. “If you say or even imply that Liam’s not good enough to be around us, I’ll...”

“No, no!” The words rushed out of Rod’s mouth. “I’d never do that. Liam’s a great mate!”

“Good.” Doug pushed him away. “Now get out of my sight.”

Doug didn’t really like doing that to Rod, but he was concerned that he would say things he shouldn’t. Rod had already done that once with Neil, and it had hurt Liam badly. Doug wasn’t going to give him another chance to hurt his best friend.

* * *

Oliver rolled his eyes. “For crying out loud...” He stepped forward, stark naked apart from a towel slung over his shoulder. “Neil, this is Liam. Liam, this is Neil. You’ve now been introduced, so strip off and have a shower. Almost everyone else is already in there, and if you take too much longer, someone might think that you two were up to no good.”

“Ollie...” Todd’s warning growl seemed to have no impact on his smaller housemate.

“What is it, Todd? I don’t know about you, but I’m hungry. However, we don’t get any birthday cake until Liam gets out there, and he can’t do that until he has a shower. Therefore, he has to have a shower or I’m going to starve to death.” Oliver grinned at Neil. “You don’t want that to happen to me, do you? So convince your boyfriend to get a move on!”

Neil gave him an uncertain smile. His eyes drifted back to where Liam was standing. The two were both down to their underwear, but neither had made a move to take the final step. Instead, the two kept exchanging shy glances. This would be the first time they would see the other person naked.

Todd sighed. “Guys, grab a towel and go. You can finish stripping off in there. It might be easier that way.”

Neil snatched up his towel and headed off. He hoped that Todd was right, and with everyone else around, it wouldn’t be so intimidating. He had been naked with a couple of them in the shower before after using the club’s gym a couple of times, and it hadn’t been a problem. It was the fact that it would be with Liam that was both scaring and exciting him.

When he arrived at the entrance to the communal shower area, Neil was knocked by one of the players rushing out.

“Sorry,” Deon said as he put out a hand to steady Neil. “I didn’t see you there.”

“That was a quick shower.” Oliver grinned. “Would your mad rush have anything to do with a certain young lady who is present today?”

Deon blushed and moved his towel to the front of his body. “Maybe.” He didn’t meet anyone’s eye.

Oliver and Todd both laughed as they moved past Neil and Deon and joined the rest of the players.

“Sorry,” Deon repeated, not looking at Neil, as he headed to his locker.

Neil glanced back and found Liam smiling at him. “We’d better go in,” Liam said.

Neil nodded and then took a deep breath. He stepped into the shower area and glanced around. There were still plenty of space, not surprising since less than a third of the team was present. Todd and Oliver had joined Jim at the showers on the right-hand wall. Paul, Ryan, and Roger were using the showers on the left, while Ty was by himself on the far wall, though a dripping showerhead indicated that Deon had been showering there as well.

Steeling himself to not look at Liam, Neil stripped off his underwear, hung up his towel, and then moved to the empty spot next to Ty.

“G’day, mate!” Ty grinned. “I was beginning to wonder if we should send out a search party, but then I decided I probably didn’t want to know what we’d find.”

Neil couldn’t help a glance around. He found Liam using the shower next to Jim but staring in his direction. Both boys blushed and looked away. Neil turned the temperature of the shower down to help keep his mind off of other things.

“Neil, Liam, I wanted to say thank you for today,” Roger said as he rinsed some of the soap off his body. “I needed some extra training after a long break, and this clinic was just right.”

“If you need extra training, talk to Julie.” Ty grinned at his captain. “She’s good at giving people extra work to do.”

Roger and most of the other guys laughed. “You’re too late with that advice. She’s already got work lined up for me.” Roger smiled at Neil and then Liam. “I need to ease myself back into playing, and today was good for that, so thanks.”

Liam reddened and looked away. “Thanks to all you guys, too. I think everyone had a great time.”

“The party’s not over yet,” Oliver said. “There’s still the cake to go – and then the birthday sex.”

Neil stiffened and turned to face the wall, letting the water cascade over his body.

“Ollie!” Todd’s tone indicated he wasn’t impressed.

“What’s up with you, Todd? Aren’t you getting laid enough?” Oliver chuckled. “Liam, if you’ll take some advice, wait until you get Neil home. These tiles make sex uncomfortable.”

“Ollie!”

Neil glanced to the side where Ty was grinning. Ty gave him a wink, tilted his head towards Oliver, and then pantomimed a towel flick. Neil bit his lower lip for a moment and then nodded.

“I think I need to have a word with Lorraine, Todd. You’re getting really uptight,” Oliver said.

“Please tell me that you haven’t had sex in here. We have to shower in this place!”

“A gentleman doesn’t fuck and tell.” Oliver glanced at Ty and Neil as they headed towards their towels. “You’ve still got mud on you, Neil. You should ask Liam to help wash it off.”

Neil knew his face was red, but he couldn’t help turning his head to look at Liam. His boyfriend had his face firmly facing the wall. One hand was covering his groin, while the other was lowering the temperature of his shower.

“I think that’s enough, Ollie,” Todd said.

“No, I’m being serious. He still has mud on his legs!”

Todd reached over and turned Oliver’s shower to the coldest setting.

“Hey!” Oliver jumped as the cold water hit. “Fuck off! That wasn’t funny.” He quickly restored the water back to a more comfortable setting.

The other Leopards all laughed. Neil and Ty took advantage of the distraction to grab their towels. Ty quickly twirled his into a long whip. He grinned at Neil as he did the same. “One...two...three!

The two snapped their towels at Oliver’s backside. Neil missed, but Ty scored.

“Fuck!” Oliver glared at them. “What the fuck was that for?”

Ty laughed as he twirled his towel again, making Oliver back away. “You really don’t know?”

Oliver kept a wary eye on both guys. “Let’s just say that I think you might be taking things a little too far.”

Ty faked another towel flick, which made Oliver back into Jim. Both stumbled and fell to the floor.

“Enough, brat,” Roger said. “Someone’s going to get hurt, and we need everyone fit and healthy for the rest of the season.”

“Ah...you’re no fun.” Ty stepped forward and held out a hand to help Oliver up.

Neil put his towel away and resumed his shower. This time, he took the one next to Liam. Despite Oliver’s best efforts, or maybe because of them, the sexual tension that Neil had felt earlier had disappeared.

“Neil, Liam, my apologies. I was trying to be helpful, but if you want to have sex in here, you can.” Oliver turned away. “Having said that, the benches in the change room are more comfortable if you can wait that long.”

“Ollie!”

* * *

Neil settled back on the couch, Liam resting in his arms for a change. Usually, Liam was the one to be holding Neil. Clarissa was sitting opposite them, while Doug was in the chair near their feet. It was just after eight and they had recently finished the birthday dinner that Liam’s mother had cooked for them.

“I’m guessing from the grin that’s been there all day that you’ve had a great birthday,” Clarissa said to Liam. “What was the best part?”

Doug snorted. “Winning the football match, of course.”

Liam laughed. “I don’t think I can pick a best part. There were so many great things that happened today. The footy, the people, the presents.” He tilted his head so he could smile up at Neil. “Having a shower...”

“Whoa! Stop right there!” Doug shuddered. “There are some things we don’t want to know about.”

“Why? Afraid you might be convinced to switch sides?” Liam chuckled. “Ollie was trying to tease Neil and me by making embarrassing comments. Todd, Ty, and Neil ganged up on Ollie and got him back.”

Doug stared for a moment and then smiled. “Sounds pretty normal, then.”

“And, of course, Neil and I were both stark naked.”

“Too much information, mate!” Doug covered his ears. “I don’t want to know.”

Neil knew his face was red, but he couldn’t help himself from joining the conversation. “How is it that Ollie has no problem giving sex advice to a couple of gay guys, but Doug doesn’t want to hear anything?”

“Ollie did what?” Clarissa’s jaw dropped.

Neil thought he’d gone too far when Doug scowled at him, but Liam grinned as he reached up and pulled Neil’s head down to give him a quick kiss. Liam then looked at Doug. “From what Neil’s told me, Ollie has an overactive sex drive, and he thinks everyone else has one, too.” Liam chuckled. “He’s certainly not shy when it comes to talking about it.”

“There are some things I don’t need to know.” Doug’s scowl was replaced with a grin. “As long as you’re happy, that’s enough for me.”

Liam smiled up at Neil again. “I’ve got no complaints.” Neil momentarily tightened his arms to indicate to Liam that he felt the same way.

“Any interesting presents?” Clarissa asked.

“There was one...” Liam shrugged. “I had to laugh when I realised what it was.”

“What was it?”

Liam pursed his lips for a moment. “It was just a card. It said something like: ‛Happy Birthday, Liam. I had no idea what to get, so I’ve bought you a year’s subscription to DNA magazine.’” Liam chuckled.

“DNA magazine? Never heard of it.” Doug said.

“It’s a gay magazine. It has a tendency to have lots of photos of barely dressed guys.” Liam said. “There was more on the card, though. He added: ‛When it’s my birthday, I wouldn’t mind the same, but could you make it Penthouse instead? DNA’s not really my sort of thing.’”

Doug and Clarissa both laughed.

Neil grinned and gave the top of Liam’s head a kiss. “Can I read the magazine after you’ve finished?”

“Of course!” Liam smiled up again. “I was hoping we could check out the pictures together.”

Doug held up both hands. “You’re getting into too much detail again, mate! If it’s anything like Penthouse, I don’t want to know what you two will be doing when you look at it.” He cocked his head. “Who gave you that?”

Liam grimaced for a moment. “I...I’m not sure I should say. He might get teased about it if I told you.”

“Come on, you can tell us,” Clarissa said. “We won’t tease anyone, will we, Doug?”

“No, I think Liam’s right. A straight guy who knows about gay-porn magazines? He’ll be in trouble if anyone found out.”

“DNA’s not porn. Anyone can buy it; you don’t have to be eighteen.”

Neil frowned. “Er...I wouldn’t say it wasn’t porn. It’s not hard core, more like...” He grimaced as he struggled to work out what to call it.

“It’s risqué and has some nudity in it, but that’s only a small part of the magazine.”

Doug stared down his nose at Liam. “And the centrefold in Penthouse is only a small part of that magazine, too. It’s still porn.”

“You can check it out for yourself if you like. The local newsagent stocks it. I’ve browsed through it a few times when there was no one else in the store.”

Doug glared. “I’m not checking out a gay-porn magazine!”

They were interrupted by a loud cough. Liam’s father was standing in the doorway. “Sorry to interrupt this very interesting conversation, but I think it’s time to take people home. You’ve all got school tomorrow.” Bruce Bellweather smiled. “You’ve got a choice. This is Liam’s last chance for a practise before his driving test tomorrow, so you can let him take you home, or Beth will take you.”

A red-faced Liam looked up at Neil. “I’ll take you. That way I can give you a proper goodnight.”

Doug faked throwing up and then smiled at Bruce. “Beth can take me home.” He raised an eyebrow at Clarissa. “How about you? If you come with us, we can leave those two alone.”

“Sounds good to me.” She stood up and collected her purse.

Bruce smiled down at Liam and Neil. “I’ll meet you two by the car. If you’re not out in five minutes, I’ll take Neil home myself, and you can stay behind, Liam.”

“We’ll be there!” Liam untangled himself from Neil and then held out his hand to help Neil to his feet. “Just think. Tomorrow, if I pass my test, we’ll be able to go places without having anyone supervising.”

Bruce snorted as he paused in the doorway. “You’ll need a car for that.”

Liam shrugged. “One step at a time.” He smiled at Neil and repeated it again, though softer, and more gently. “One step at a time.”

* * *

Michelle waited for the thumbs up from Joe and then smiled across the table. “Welcome back, Pride FM listeners. It’s time for Joe’s favourite segment, even if he never pays attention to anything our two guests say. He’s always too busy drooling to hear anything. Jim, Paul, as always we’re glad you could come in to preview this week’s AFL round, especially as it’s a day earlier than normal.” It was the Thursday morning breakfast show on the last day of July. For the sixth time that season the first AFL game of the week was being played on a Thursday night instead of Friday.

“Thanks, Michelle, Maria. We’re always glad to be here.” Paul grinned across at the sound booth next door where Tony stood next to the show’s producer. “And, Joe, before you ask, no, I’m not available this weekend.”

Joe flipped a switch and leant over a microphone. “Damn. Do you have a brother or cousin who might be free?”

“Enough of that.” Maria smiled. “We’re here to talk football, not Joe’s lack of a date. But, as always, we have some questions to ask before we get into round 19. Jim, I understand that, unlike Joe, you’ve got a date later on this morning.”

Jim chuckled. “It’s not that sort of date, and I’ll be taking my boyfriend with me to keep me on the straight and narrow. I can’t say too much, but something interesting is happening at the Essendon Football Club today. I’ll be coming back later today with a full report for the listeners.”

“An update on the supplements saga?” Michelle asked, referring to a controversy that had been ongoing for eighteen months.

“No, and please don’t ask me anything more about what’s going to happen. As I said, I’ll be back later to tell you what’s going on.”

“How about a hint?” Maria gave Jim a pleading look. “Even a little one?”

Jim smiled. “All I can say is that I think some people will be very happy to hear what’s being announced.”

Maria’s eyes widened. “AFL’s first gay footballer!”

Jim laughed. “Nice try, but I’m not saying. It won’t be long before you know. Until then, I’m afraid you’ll have to wait.”

Michelle pouted at him. “Paul, do you have anything you can share?”

“Sorry, no. Jim’s been tight-lipped. As far as I know, the only other person at the club who knows is Tony, his boyfriend.”

Michelle smiled. “That makes it easy. I’m sure there’s someone here at Pride FM who has enough dirt on Tony to allow us to blackmail him. As you may have gathered, Maria and I don’t like being left in the dark.”

Jim grinned. “You won’t have to wait very long. In two or three hours’ time, you’ll know exactly what’s happening.”

“But we don’t like to wait!” Maria winked. “But it seems that we’re going to be frustrated this once. A little like Joe and his struggles to find a date.”

Joe switched on his microphone. “Since we’ve returned to more important things and since Michelle made the suggestion, Paul, is there anything I can blackmail you with to make you go on a date with me?”

Paul stared, wide-mouthed for a moment, and then laughed. “Moving on. Round 19 opens tonight in Western Australia with the match between the Fremantle Dockers and Carlton.” He picked up his notes and started to scan them.

“Hey, that’s my line!” Michelle grinned and gave Paul a thumbs-up. “Who do you think will win, Paul? The Dockers or the Blues?” She winked at Jim. “I’m not going to ask you, Jim, because I know you’re biased. Though we’re still waiting on an update of how things have gone since that training session you had with Carlton at the start of June.”

“There’s nothing to update. Nothing serious will happen until after the end of the VFL season, when the AFL draft comes around at the end of November. Until then, I’m a Leopard, and while I might like the Blues, I’m still unbiased enough to give a fair opinion of how I think they’ll go.”

Maria raised an eyebrow. “Really? In that case, what do you think?”

“Fremantle will be too strong at home. Carlton have lost six of their last eight games, while Fremantle have lost one.”

“Ah, but that one was last week against St. Kilda, a comprehensive loss against the last-place team, while Carlton are coming off a win. I think you’re underestimating the Blues, Jim,” Paul said.

Jim shook his head. “That’s just going to fire up the Dockers even more. If you look at the history...”

* * *

“There you are!” Brad Smith stepped forward, a broad grin on his face. “I was beginning to get worried.”

“Sorry, we got held up at the radio station longer than we expected.” Jim shook Brad’s hand and then glanced around the media room while Tony introduced himself. “When do things start?”

“Soon. The part you’re interested in will be at the beginning of our normal pre-game media conference. Once it’s over, Brendon will move straight into talking about the match.” Brad grinned as he led Jim and Tony towards a small table at the side. “I caught your broadcast this morning. I have to say I’m disappointed that you don’t think the Bombers will win.”

Jim shrugged. “Essendon’s been having a good season, and you’re on a winning streak, but you’re playing Sydney in Sydney. That’s always going to be tough.”

“True, but I think we’re good enough to beat them.” Brad chuckled as he picked up a couple of visitor badges. “Admittedly, I’m biased. Here, take these just in case anyone questions you as to why you’re here. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the reporters will want to interview you afterwards.”

Jim smiled. “That’s what I’m here for.”

“And thank you so much for that. As promised, I’ll give you a tour of the establishment once we’re done.” Brad looked past Jim and grinned. “Just a moment.” He waved a hand to attract someone’s attention and then beckoned him forward. “There’s someone I want you guys to meet. He’s the one I spoke to you about when we first discussed your visit.”

The man approaching was wearing a grey suit, white shirt, and a purple-and-black tie. He smiled broadly as he greeted first Brad and then Tony and Jim. “Hi, Jim, I’m Jason. I’m really pleased to finally meet you, Jim, and thanks for coming here to support the Purple Bombers.”

Jim grinned. “Thanks, Jason. I think it’s great what Essendon is doing.” He glanced around. “There’s certainly a lot of media here for it.”

Jason Tuazon-McCheyne chuckled. “This is the normal pre-match press conference. We’re just taking advantage of it to announce the LGBTI supporters group.” He waved a hand towards where Brendon Goddard, the stand-in Essendon captain, was getting ready. “Brendon’s going to be doing most of the talking.”

Brad jumped in. “Jason’s being too modest. He’s the major force behind setting up this group, and he and Brendon have already recorded a video about the Purple Bombers for Bomber TV that will be going up on our website later today.”

Jason smiled. “The club’s gotten behind the initiative, and that’s what’s important. We’re trying to create an environment where our LGBTI members can be comfortable being at the football, where they don’t have to worry. The club’s supporting us, and that’s the first step. There’s still a long way to go, but we’re getting there.” He raised an eyebrow. “Will you guys be joining up? There’s going to be a link on the Essendon website for anyone interested.”

Jim shook his head and smiled apologetically. “While I admire and respect what you’re doing, I have to say I’m a South Australian boy, and I’ve been a Port Adelaide fan all my life. I can’t in all honesty change teams now.”

“I’ll join up,” Tony said. When Jim gave him a surprised look, he grinned. “Even though all my focus this year has been on the Leopards, I’ve always barracked for Essendon.” He smiled at Jason. “I’ve never been a member, but I’m more than happy to join the Purple Bombers.”

“Excellent!” Jason looked like he was about to say something more when he spotted something behind Jim and Tony. “I’m sorry, but my husband’s signalling to me. It looks like the press conference is about to start and, I have to get going.” He shook Jim’s and Tony’s hands quickly. “Thanks for coming, and hopefully I’ll see you again soon.”

As Jason headed over to join Brendon in front of the waiting media, Brad turned to his guests. “I’m sorry, but I have a few chores I need to do while the conference is on. Hang around, and I’ll be back when it’s over. I hope you don’t mind.”

“No, that’s fine.” Jim smiled. “It’s great just being here.”

Jim and Tony listened as Brendon, with Jason at his side, announced the formation of the Purple Bombers to a sea of microphones and cameras. When the topic moved to the upcoming match in Sydney, Jim and Tony drifted to the back of the room.

Jim gave his boyfriend a quick hug. “You never told me you were an Essendon supporter.”

“You never asked.” Tony chuckled. “And you never told me you were a Port fan. The only reason I already knew is because you announced it on the radio a few weeks ago.”

Jim grinned back. “All of our focus has been on the Leopards, not the AFL, so you’re forgiven.”

Tony raised a sarcastic eyebrow. “I’m forgiven? You’re the one standing in the middle of the Essendon Football Club. You should be saying you’ll be a Bomber fan from now on.”

Jim grinned as he glanced back to where Brendon was still talking. “I don’t change loyalties easily, but I’m impressed with Essendon. It looks to me like they’re making a real effort to tell their supporter group that homophobia isn’t acceptable.”

“Not only homophobia. They’re also targeting racism after that incident back in April when one of their fans made a racial taunt to an opposition’s Indigenous player.” Tony smiled. “I’m proud to support this club, and I really need to do more to show it. I think it’s about time I became a member.”

They listened for a little while longer before Tony turned to Jim. “By the way, do you know what Jason does for a living?”

Jim frowned. “No, what?”

“He’s a celebrant.” Tony suddenly couldn’t look Jim in the eye. “I was thinking...”

Jim froze for a moment as what Tony was implying hit him: a commitment ceremony performed by Jason. He then reached over and put a hand under Tony’s chin. He lifted Tony’s head and smiled into his eyes. “It’s too early – we’ve only been going out for four months – but, yeah, when we’re ready, I don’t see why we can’t talk to Jason again.”

Tony grinned. He started to lean forward and then grimaced as he glanced across at the nearby media. Jim hesitated for a moment and then decided that it shouldn’t matter. He leant over and gave Tony a quick kiss.

Tony’s smile was soft. “One day, I’m going to ask you to marry me.”

Jim chuckled. “Not if I ask first.” He slipped an arm around Tony’s waist, and the two turned to watch the end of the press conference. While he normally wanted to keep his personal life private, Jim didn’t care if they were photographed. The launch of the Purple Bombers, the Essendon Football Club’s LGBTI supporter group, seemed an appropriate place to show affection for his partner.


 

AUTHOR’S NOTE: I would like to give an extra special thank you to Jason Tuazon-McCheyne for giving me permission to use him in this story. As indicated in the story, Jason has been the driving force behind the creation of the Purple Bombers. You can read more (and also see the video of the media conference mentioned) at the website for the Essendon Football Club, as well as a video of Jason and Brendon talking about the Purple Bombers. The Star Observer newspaper also has an article on the subject.

Jason, who married his partner in Canada more than ten years ago, is also the founder of the Australian Equality Party that is campaigning for marriage equality laws in Australia.

Don't forget you can also comment in the discussion forum thread!
Copyright © 2015 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Doug's character is really developing. You have kept him true while expanding his horizons and ours as we follow his actions and growing maturity. The key factor always being Doug's loyalty to Liam. Neil is also maturing and gaining confidence but at a pace that is fully consistent with his character. Neil has gone from hiding in the shadows to showing strength and even leadership but he continues to be fully Neil and not a new incarnation of the character. Just a few of the things that make this story such a pleasure each week. Thanks Graeme.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another wonderful chapter, Graeme. I'm waiting for Rod to make that one last mistake, but I'm glad that Liam's party was a success...and it serves Doug right for thinking Julie was less than qualified for the 'clinic'. :)
I like DNA magazine, and now I'm wondering who got it for Liam's present--I'd thought at first it was Doug, unless he's being very cagey.
I hope Clarissa will give Deon a chance--she's making the assumption he's more hurt than he was by the break-up, she should just talk it over with him...and she also needs to realize that not every guy will spring a nasty surprise on her. Take a chance, guys, if it works, you're golden.
More please!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm glad Liam had a fun party. Deon and Clarissa's courtship is adorable, although I had a moment of ominous foreshadowing that Clarissa might find Paul more interesting when she finally meets him; I am consoling myself with the fact that Paul is even more on the rebound than Deon is, so that might scare her off. Paul's also at least 5 years older and might not want to date a girl just out of high school. The shower scene was hilarious. :)

 

Doug's lukewarm tolerating of Neil for Liam's sake is still both hypocritical and tedious. While his speech at the party may have averted any overt hostility, it also reinforced Neil's status as an outsider. I can't imagine Liam would have been especially happy if he'd heard it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So much going on and all positive! Liam's party was wonderful and the two shy boys enjoyed it most of all. Then we see a slightly opened bud of romance between Clarissa and Deon, but it could still not survive. We get to wonder... We have Jim and Tony beginning to think about sealing their relationship. Finally, what an amazing scene of creative nonfiction! I enjoyed seeing the guys immersed in the embrace of the community. Quite a lovely and well done scene. Thanks so much! Awesome job as always!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm happy that Liam had a great party. Ollie's teasing of him and Neil was too funny though. Clarissa is being sensible in her wait and see approach to Deon, but I hope they are able to give it a go. Doug, is a challenging friend to have... But I see glimpses of maybe something more.
This was a really nice feel good chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/04/2015 09:33 PM, Rndmrunner said:

Doug's character is really developing. You have kept him true while expanding his horizons and ours as we follow his actions and growing maturity. The key factor always being Doug's loyalty to Liam. Neil is also maturing and gaining confidence but at a pace that is fully consistent with his character. Neil has gone from hiding in the shadows to showing strength and even leadership but he continues to be fully Neil and not a new incarnation of the character. Just a few of the things that make this story such a pleasure each week. Thanks Graeme.

Thank you! Having characters evolve and develop is always a challenge so I'm very happy that you feel that they are still 'true' to who they are.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/04/2015 09:53 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Another wonderful chapter, Graeme. I'm waiting for Rod to make that one last mistake, but I'm glad that Liam's party was a success...and it serves Doug right for thinking Julie was less than qualified for the 'clinic'. :)

I like DNA magazine, and now I'm wondering who got it for Liam's present--I'd thought at first it was Doug, unless he's being very cagey.

I hope Clarissa will give Deon a chance--she's making the assumption he's more hurt than he was by the break-up, she should just talk it over with him...and she also needs to realize that not every guy will spring a nasty surprise on her. Take a chance, guys, if it works, you're golden.

More please!

Liam knows who gave him the DNA subscription. He would've given it away if it was Doug. And it wasn't Doug who made the comment about Julie -- Doug was going to give free dental work to the guy who made that comment, if he could find out who did...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/04/2015 11:22 PM, impunity said:

I'm glad Liam had a fun party. Deon and Clarissa's courtship is adorable, although I had a moment of ominous foreshadowing that Clarissa might find Paul more interesting when she finally meets him; I am consoling myself with the fact that Paul is even more on the rebound than Deon is, so that might scare her off. Paul's also at least 5 years older and might not want to date a girl just out of high school. The shower scene was hilarious. :)

 

Doug's lukewarm tolerating of Neil for Liam's sake is still both hypocritical and tedious. While his speech at the party may have averted any overt hostility, it also reinforced Neil's status as an outsider. I can't imagine Liam would have been especially happy if he'd heard it.

Doug's 'relationship' with Neil is to be expected. He's spent years considering Neil as a lesser lifeform and he doesn't have Liam's incentive to change his point of view. He's coming around, but as you've said, it's lukewarm and only really for Liam's benefit. That doesn't mean it's not real, though. I know of adults in their thirties (and older) who only tolerate someone because they are the partner of one of their friends. Doug's got no reason to 'like' Neil apart from the one that justifies his interactions: Neil is Liam's boyfriend. Otherwise, Doug would be just as happy to ignore him.

 

And thanks for the comment on the shower scene. I enjoyed writing that one :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/05/2015 01:42 AM, Cole Matthews said:

So much going on and all positive! Liam's party was wonderful and the two shy boys enjoyed it most of all. Then we see a slightly opened bud of romance between Clarissa and Deon, but it could still not survive. We get to wonder... We have Jim and Tony beginning to think about sealing their relationship. Finally, what an amazing scene of creative nonfiction! I enjoyed seeing the guys immersed in the embrace of the community. Quite a lovely and well done scene. Thanks so much! Awesome job as always!

Thank you! I've been trying to set this story against real events. The formation of the Purple Bombers is one such event. It was too important to ignore :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/05/2015 03:03 AM, Defiance19 said:

I'm happy that Liam had a great party. Ollie's teasing of him and Neil was too funny though. Clarissa is being sensible in her wait and see approach to Deon, but I hope they are able to give it a go. Doug, is a challenging friend to have... But I see glimpses of maybe something more.

This was a really nice feel good chapter.

Ollie is...well...Ollie. He's not shy when it comes to sex. :P

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

So Deon also got approached by the Sydney Swans ! That's great, Sam will be delighted if Deon comes to stay near him. But perhaps not so good for any future relationship with Clarissa. I hope she decides to give him a chance.
For once I think Ollie was over the top with his sexual teasing, and I felt sorry for Neil and Liam. Seeing each other naked for the first time in a non-sexual situation was probably a good thing, but Ollie's continued fixation was equally embarrassing and awkwardly helpful.
How's Dave doing? We haven't heard anything of him for a while. Same for Charlie.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/06/2015 06:38 AM, Timothy M. said:

So Deon also got approached by the Sydney Swans ! That's great, Sam will be delighted if Deon comes to stay near him. But perhaps not so good for any future relationship with Clarissa. I hope she decides to give him a chance.

For once I think Ollie was over the top with his sexual teasing, and I felt sorry for Neil and Liam. Seeing each other naked for the first time in a non-sexual situation was probably a good thing, but Ollie's continued fixation was equally embarrassing and awkwardly helpful.

How's Dave doing? We haven't heard anything of him for a while. Same for Charlie.

Ollie does tend to go a little too far at times.... He means well, though.

 

No comment on Dave apart to say that he is still undergoing treatment. Recovering from what he went through is something that takes time. Lots of time....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I guess it's appropriate to congratulate Australia on getting marriage equality. Jim and Tony must surely be ready to get married by now. ;) 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..