Jump to content
    Graeme
    • Classic Author
  • 10,105 Words
  • 4,026 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Leopard Spots - 57. Chapter 57

Sunday 21st September, 2014

Peter scowled at the lopsided distribution of players across the oval. In response to a couple of goals by the Leopards early in the fourth quarter, Footscray had dropped almost their entire team into defence. Since then, it had been ugly football for the Leopards as they tried to locate holes through which to score, but finding them was tough. The clock was running down, and the Leopards were still behind.

“Runner!”

Neil moved up next to Peter. His anxious attention was on the head coach, though his eyes were on the play on the oval.

“Tell the brat, Deon, and Roger that I want them moving in and out of the fifty-metre arc. If we can’t score inside the fifty, I want them trying to kick long from outside. At the very least, we want to spread the Bulldogs defence out to open up some gaps. No more than one of them is to be outside the fifty-metre line at any given time. And Neil...” Peter shifted his own attention from the players to his young runner. “Try to tell them while there’s no Bulldogs players near. Hopefully, they won’t realise what’s going on until we’ve had at least one or two scoring attempts from outside the fifty.”

Neil nodded and ran onto the ground. With so many players congregated into less than half the playing area, he was going to need to be careful to avoid the play.

Ty was the closest player, but his attention was on the ball, and he didn’t notice Neil until he almost ran into him. Ty gave him a quick glance before returning his gaze to Dave who was holding the football, looking for someone to kick to.

“Instructions from Peter.” With that statement, Neil had Ty’s full attention. Neil passed on the information and was about to head on to find the other two when Ty stopped him.

“I’ll tell them. You head back.” Ty glanced over as Dave kicked the football long to the other side of the ground and grimaced at the pack that had formed to prevent any of the Leopards from taking a mark. There were too many defenders waiting to spoil the attempt.

“Peter didn’t want the Bulldogs to hear what he said. He’s hoping for a couple of scores before they realise what we’re doing.”

“Gotcha.” Ty’s eyes scanned the ground. “I’ll let them know.” Without waiting for a response, he ran off.

Neil jogged back to Peter while mentally crossing his fingers that the new tactic would work.

* * *

“Cowards.” Liam glared down at the players below. “They’re not interested in scoring. They’re only interested in protecting their lead.”

“Do you blame them?” Clarissa asked. “The Leopards have fought their way back into the game, and now there’s only four points between them. A goal will put us into the lead for the first time.”

“I know.” Liam grimaced as his fists clenched and released. “The Bulldogs are trying to run down the clock. There’s not much time left, and while a goal by them would probably put the game out of our reach, they’re trying to play it safe. I hope that’s a tactic that backfires.” Contrary to what Liam had said, Footscray had tried to attack several times, but the Leopard defence was solid. In that quarter, the Bulldogs had only managed to get the football inside the fifty-metre arc six times for only two scoring shots: one goal and one behind. In contrast, the Leopards had kicked four goals and two behinds, almost eliminating the lead that Footscray had taken into the last quarter.

“How long until the siren sounds?” Clarissa asked.

Liam shrugged. “I don’t know, but it could be any minute now. We’re well into time on so it all depends on how much time has been added due to goals and stoppages.”

As they watched, the Footscray players tried to kick the football into their forward half again, but Dave was waiting. He held off his opponent but was unable to take the mark, the ball spilling off his hands. The two opponents both strove to retrieve the loose ball before their teammates arrived to help, but neither was able to grab it. Instead, Dave kicked the ball as it lay on the ground, sending it in Jarrod’s direction.

As he had been for most of the game, Jarrod was too quick for his man. He scooped up the football and then spun around. Seeing Jim running into an open space, Jarrod kicked towards where Jim was headed. The kick wasn’t accurate, though, and it bounced several times before Jim was able to gather it up. Jim turned and then sidestepped as a Bulldogs player tried to tackle him. He only had a moment before two more defenders arrived, and he used that time to first steady and then thread a strong, hard, and very flat kick not only past the nearer of the approaching defenders, but also between two other Footscray players to find Ty’s chest.

“Holy shit!” Kevin grinned. “I don’t know how he did that, but that was one ripper of a kick. Pinpoint accuracy.”

Doug chuckled. “He did that at the clinic that the Leopards ran at our school. He kicked a football through the centre of a handball target, just to prove it could be done, and then did it again to prove it wasn’t a fluke. He gave us the expectation that everyone should be able to do that.”

Kevin laughed. “Yeah, we’re supposed to, but not everyone can.”

Down on the ground, Ty paced backwards, his eyes on the goal posts. It was obvious he was going to try to score.

Liam was on his feet, as were most of the Leopard supporters around him. “Come on, Ty. You can do it!”

It was going to be a difficult attempt. Ty had taken the mark almost sixty metres from the goal posts. He was lining up without wasting too much time getting ready since the clock was still running down. As he flipped the football in his hands a couple of times, Deon and Roger broke away from the pack that was forming in the goal square in case the attempt fell short, each dragging a couple of defenders away, but they were unable to open up enough of a gap to give Ty an alternative target. Oliver broke away, too, but was too closely shadowed to be able to receive the ball. Instead, Ty accelerated, his concentration directly in front. He kicked long, his right foot almost reaching the level of his shoulders on the follow-through.

“Come on...” Liam grimaced and put both hands to his head. “It’s not going to make it. It’s falling short.”

“There’s still a chance...” Clarissa said.

Both stared as the football dropped towards the waiting pack. Several Leopards were waiting, but there just as many Footscray players there to spoil any attempted mark.

The crowd roared as the players went up, contesting for the football.

“Oh. My. God!” Clarissa grabbed Liam’s arm. “Did you see that?”

* * *

Moments before, Charlie had glanced at where Ty was preparing to kick the football and then at the mob of players in front of the goal posts. He could almost hear Julie telling him to get in there and join the fight for the ball when it arrived. Despite that, he hesitated. There were already so many players in there that one more wasn’t going to make a difference. He told himself he was better off being around the edges, ready to pounce if the football made it out of the pack. He saw Jarrod and Euan waiting around the front, so he positioned himself behind the pack in case the ball went longer than expected.

When Roger ran out of the pack, accompanied by two Footscray defenders, Charlie frowned. Deon had done the same thing on the other side, but when Oliver ran out with his own tagger, it left the central mob smaller and more evenly balanced between Leopards and Bulldogs. The main problem Charlie could see was that Zach was the only tall Leopard left, and he was tussling with two Footscray players who weren’t that much shorter than he was.

As Charlie traced the trajectory of the football from Ty’s kick, he became aware of an opportunity. It was a move that he had always thought was more showy than effective, but this was a time when it just might work. He was unlikely to mess up any of his teammates if it failed, but if it worked....

Timing was everything. Charlie waited until his instincts told him it was time to move. He sprinted towards the pack, aiming for the back of one mid-sized Footscray player in particular. The players in the pack were jostling each other but weren’t moving very much – something essential if what Charlie was going to try would work. It wasn’t a move that he had ever practised; he had only ever done it in fun.

Just before he reached his target, Charlie jumped. He pulled his knees up as high as he could and landed on the Footscray player’s upper back. As his makeshift springboard staggered forward, Charlie pushed up through his thighs, straightening his body and lifting himself almost a full body length above the ground, well above the other jostling players.

His timing was perfect. As he stretched up his arms, the football landed in his hands. He grasped it tightly and then glanced down. “Oh, fuck.” He hadn’t realised how high he would get. As he tumbled forward, he clutched the football to his chest and twisted so he would land on his side.

Charlie grinned when he heard the umpire’s whistle signalling a successful mark. Putting the football on the ground, he rolled over and pushed himself up onto his knees.

“Way to go, Charlie.”

Charlie looked up and then accepted the proffered hand. “Thanks, Dave.”

Dave smiled. “Now you just need to complete the job.” He nodded towards the goal posts only ten metres away. “I don’t think you’ll have any problem.”

“Don’t jinx me.” Charlie took a deep breath as other Leopards ran up to congratulate him on what was easily the most spectacular mark of the grand final. He smiled, accepted the praise and then picked up the football. As the other players moved away, he tried to concentrate. It was an easy shot, but it was also well into the last quarter of a gruelling match. Charlie was feeling tired and more than a little sore. He would need to get his mind into gear if he didn’t want to go on the record as missing such an easy kick.

A minute later, neither he nor his teammates were disappointed. Charlie had kicked his first goal of the grand final...and had put the Leopards in the lead for the first time.

* * *

Time was running out. When a desperate Footscray managed to win the ball after the centre bounce, it was the Leopards’ turn to flood their back line, though not to the extent that the Bulldogs had done. Roger, Deon, and Oliver were hovering near the centre of the ground, and the Footscray players knew that if any of them received the football without one or two defenders nearby, the Leopards would probably score again. Charlie and Dave were also close enough that if either of them got hold of the ball, they could drive the Leopards into attack without notice.

Jim and Ty had joined the core of Todd, Paul, and Ward to strengthen the Leopard defence. Jarrod played the middle area between what would normally be the midfield and the back line, another Leopard ready to turn defence into attack if the opportunity arose.

Evelyn had a tight grip on Kevin’s arm. “Do you think they can hold them off?”

Kevin’s gaze never left the players. “I hope so, but it only takes one lucky kick...”

Liam gave Evelyn a quick scowl before he too returned his attention to the game. “Don’t jinx them!”

“No!” Clarissa nervously watched as a Footscray player broke away from the pack that had formed after an unsuccessful mark. He had the ball, was only thirty metres out, and was preparing to kick. There were only two players between him and the goals, and one of those was one of his teammates.

What he didn’t count on was Jim sprinting after him. As the Bulldog’s leg swung forward, Jim grabbed him around the waist and pulled him sideways. The ball still connected with the Footscray player’s boot, but instead of flying up towards the goal posts, it flew low and off at an angle in the direction of the two waiting players.

Ty and the Footscray player raced forward. Ty was in front, but the bounce didn’t favour him. As he reached for it, the football headed the other way and towards the Footscray player.

Ty immediately changed direction, but he was too late. His opponent had gathered the football and was preparing a quick snap at the open goal. With one last surge of speed, Ty dived forward. He couldn’t stop the kick, but he hadn’t aimed for the player; he had aimed for the ball itself.

As the football sped off the Bulldog’s boot, it encountered Ty’s outstretched hands. Somehow, he managed to keep the ball from getting away, smothering it with his body. He held onto it just long enough for his teammates to arrive and another pack to form. When it became obvious that no one was able to get the ball out, the umpire blew the whistle, signalling that he would restart play with another bounce.

Kevin shook his head in disbelief. “He was good when I played with him last year, but Ty’s even better now than he was then. That was an almost certain goal he stopped.”

Clarissa gasped as the players dispersed. “He’s not getting up!”

Ty lay there for a few more seconds before Jim and Todd helped him to his feet. Ty shook his head a couple of times as if to clear it and then raised a hand to indicate he was okay. The crowd roared in response. Jim gave him a slap on the back, and then they separated. The game was still in the balance.

Liam frowned. “I hope Ty was just giving his teammates more time to get into position.”

Kevin nodded. “I hope so, too. They’re still pretty close to the Bulldogs goal. It’s only going to take one kick to put them back in front.”

As they watched, the umpire bounced the ball. Zach and the Footscray ruckman leapt again for the ball, but exhaustion had taken its toll on both players. They mistimed their jumps, and the ball fell almost at their feet. There was a mad rush from the quicker players, and the football was lost from sight.

“Please, please please...” Clarissa held up two sets of crossed fingers.

They all grimaced when the ball suddenly appeared from out of the mob and ended up in a Footscray player’s hands. He immediately handballed it to one of his teammates who turned for a snap kick at the goal, but instead found himself being tackled by Paul.

This time it was the Leopards who pounced on the loose ball. Jarrod scooped it up and quickly kicked it away. His kick wasn’t aimed at anyone; it merely moved the football away from the goalposts, relieving the pressure.

“Smart move,” Kevin said as Dave and two Bulldogs raced after the ball, while Charlie charged in from the midfield. “It got the ball away from the danger zone and eats up time as everyone chases it down. Now if Dave or Charlie can just get there first...”

It didn’t matter. Just before anyone reached the football, the siren sounded to signal the end of the match.

The Leopards had won by two points.

* * *

Ty stared up at the roaring crowd and then quickly scanned the ground. Spotting Jim, he ran over and jumped on his housemate. “We did it!”

Jim laughed. “Yeah, we did. Now, how about getting the fuck off me?”

“No way! I’m an invalid, Dad. You need to carry me everywhere.”

Jim rolled his eyes. “Brat, I’m about to collapse. Get off or I’ll fall on you.”

Ty let go and glanced around. He then raced off and jumped on another teammate. “Todd!”

Todd chuckled. “Great game, brat.”

“We all played well.” Ty pointed to where Paul and Zach were slapping each other’s backs. “Take me there!”

Todd shrugged off Ty. “How hard did you hit your head after you stopped that kick?”

“There’s nothing in there, so there’s nothing to hurt.” Ty shrugged. “And I didn’t hit my head; something hit me. It was just an accident with everyone trying to get the ball. I think it was someone’s knee.”

“Seriously, get Jackie to check it out before we leave.”

Ty smiled and cocked his head. “Are you practising for when Sean is my age and playing footy? That kid’s got no fear. He’ll run into a pack of players twice his size if it means getting the ball.”

Todd laughed. “If he turns out as bad as you, I’ll send him to stay with his Uncle Ty, but I don’t think that’ll happen. He’s a nice kid.”

“Yeah, he is. I’m going to have to work on that. How about–”

Ty’s comment was interrupted by Deon’s arrival and a sudden embrace. “We won! We fucking won!”

Ty laughed. “I think you’re right.” He looked around. “Where’s Charlie? He kicked the winning goal, and we need to congratulate him again.”

Deon pointed. “He’s with Dave.”

Ty was silent for a moment. “It’s time to bring Dave back into the heart of the team.” His manic mood had disappeared. “Todd, get the others. We need to celebrate this, and Dave needs to be in the middle of that celebration.”

Todd nodded his head. “Good idea, brat. Let’s do it.”

* * *

Neil followed the coaches, the interchange players, and the other support staff onto the oval. The Footscray players looked despondent. The Leopards were ecstatic, many of them showing signs of exhaustion, partly offset by exhilaration.

“Neil!” Oliver grabbed him and tried to spin him around, though Oliver moved more than Neil. “How does it feel to be part of a premiership team?”

“You guys won. I was just here to help.”

“Do you think we could’ve done it without you?” Oliver grinned and gave Neil a bear hug. They then heard a chant of “Ollie, Ollie, Ollie!” Oliver’s eyes widened as he saw a group of guys at the boundary fence holding up a banner with a picture of him in his underwear from the game against Williamstown. “What the fuck...?”

Neil grinned. “I saw it earlier, but they were further up in the stands at the time.”

Oliver glanced to where his teammates were gathering together in a large group to celebrate and then back at that crowd. Preparations had commenced for the presentations, and both teams were staying nearby. He winked at Neil. “I won’t be long, but don’t let them start without me.” He jogged towards the boundary line.

Neil headed towards the rest of the team when a roar of appreciation behind him made him glance over his shoulder. Oliver had stripped off his shorts, revealing black briefs, and was about to toss the shorts over the fence to the guys with the banner.

Neil raced back to the interchange bench. A minute later he returned with a spare pair of shorts. He had to guess at Oliver’s size, but he and Oliver had shared enough clothes in the past that he was sure they would be close enough.

“Here, Ollie,” Neil said as he handed over the shorts. “I don’t think Peter would be impressed if you were still in just your underpants when the team photo is taken.”

“Thanks!” Oliver grinned. “I think I’d shock a few VFL administrators, too, when they present the premiership medals.”

“One more photo?” one of the young men asked as Oliver started to put on the shorts. He was holding up an expensive looking camera.

Oliver winked at Neil before smiling across the fence. “No problem, Roy. How about one with me and Neil?” Not waiting for a response, Oliver let the shorts drop, draped an arm across Neil’s shoulders, and rested his spare hand on his hip, pushing up his sleeveless jumper in the process and revealing more of his underwear.

“Perfect!” The camera flashed. “Smile, Neil.”

Neil stared for a moment and then chuckled through a smile. As the camera flashed two more times, Neil wondered what Helena would think of her boyfriend flirting with the guys. He suspected she wouldn’t mind.

“That’s enough, Roy.” Oliver let Neil go and bent over to pull on his shorts. “Email me the best ones so I can give Helena a copy. She’ll love them.”

“I’ll do that tonight.” Roy grinned. “In the meantime, go out and celebrate!”

“You know him?” Neil asked as the two headed towards where the rest of the Leopards were congregating before the formal presentations were made.

“Nope. Met him for the first time just now.” Oliver’s grin broadened. “He’s a professional photographer and wanted payment for that photo on the banner. I didn’t have any cash on me, so I offered him my shorts. After I handed them over, I found out that Helena had already bought a copy.” He winked. “Since he didn’t want to give me back my shorts, we negotiated a new deal. I posed for a few photos, and he’ll send me the best ones.”

When they joined the rest of the team, Neil stayed on the edge of the group. The players were joking and laughing as well as verbally replaying the critical parts of the game. Charlie’s mark and subsequent goal was a popular topic, but Neil noticed that there was a lot of praise for Dave’s efforts throughout the match. Both guys were sitting on the shoulders of their teammates; Charlie looked stunned, and Dave was caught between a scowl and a grin.

“Where’s our mascot?” Ty’s voice was overly loud, and he was grinning as he stared in Neil’s direction.

“We’ll get him.” Todd said as he and Paul stepped to either side of Neil.

Neil glanced up at broad grins on their faces. “Wh...what’s going on?”

Todd and Paul didn’t answer. Instead, they each grabbed one of Neil’s arms and, on the count of three, lifted him up into the air. A moment later, he was sitting on their shoulders.

“To our mascot, who stuck with us through thick and thin and who represents as much as anyone what it means to be a Leopard.” Ty raised his hands. “Let’s show him how much we appreciate who he is and what he’s done. Hip, hip...”

Hooray!” the team yelled back as they all grinned up at Neil. Now that they were at the same level, Charlie gave him a sheepish smile, while Dave gave him a nod of acknowledgement followed by a thumbs up.

Neil’s face was red, but he beamed down at his friends. As they reached up, he gave them all high-fives. It was one of the best moments of his life, second only to the night of his birthday party when he and Liam had kissed for the first time.

* * *

“What the fuck is that all about?” Steven Anderson asked.

Doug shrugged as he turned away from the players on the oval to the nearby celebrations involving Liam, Kevin, and the girls. “Neil’s got a hidden side that he doesn’t show at school. Liam saw it months ago, as did the players. He’s an honorary Leopard, and that’s why they’re doing what they’re doing.” He nodded to the group he was watching. “Ask any of the girls. They won’t say a bad word about Neil.”

Steven stared at Doug. “But Four-Dork?

Doug snorted. “Yeah, I know.” He gave Steven a wry smile. “You have no idea how tough it’s been, having Liam dating the guy. Almost anyone else I could’ve handled without a problem, but Neil...”

“But you didn’t do anything.” Steven narrowed his eyes. “And I don’t think I’ve heard you call him Four-Dork since Liam’s birthday party. Are you getting soft, Dougie boy?”

Doug went to grab Steven’s shirt but aborted the action before his fists were even halfway towards the other guy. Instead, he chuckled. “Today’s too good a day to fight.” He raised a warning finger and scowled. “But if you repeat that...”

Steven laughed. “Okay, Doug.” He looked down at the mob of players again. “It’s a little late in the year, but maybe I need to take another look at Four-Dork and try to find out what it is that gets him into the middle of a grand-final celebration while we’re stuck up here.”

“Hey, don’t go overboard! He’s down there because he was in the right place at the right time...” Doug’s light-hearted tone darkened, “...or maybe it was the wrong place at the wrong time, since getting hit by his old man was a big part of what put him down there.”

Steven nodded slowly. “He paid a price to be where he is. He probably deserves to get something out of it.”

* * *

“My boy...” Mary dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief, but the smile on her face told everyone that they were tears of happiness.

“Our boys.” Jessica patted Mary’s hand. “They’ve done us proud.”

The smile on Mary’s face slipped away. “But he’s not coming home anytime soon.”

“No.” Jessica sighed. “It’s time for him to stand on his own two feet. It’s like when Jim moved here to Melbourne to play football. I was so happy for him but also afraid because he was moving so far away from home. He was Neil’s age, so I know how hard it is to let go.”

“But you didn’t know then that he was...that way inclined.” Mary raised an eyebrow, making the statement a question.

Jessica sighed and gave Mary a weak smile. “No, but I’ve been wondering lately if being gay played a part in his decision to move. Did he feel that he couldn’t be himself at home? That he had to leave before he could discover himself?” She shrugged. “To be honest, I don’t know how I would’ve reacted if he’d told me when he was eighteen. I’d like to think I would’ve been fine, but I was in shock for a few days after he told us earlier this year. It was something that I had never thought about before then.”

“Do you...” Mary swallowed before continuing. “Do you think that Neil will come home again?”

Jessica took Mary’s hand and gave a squeeze of reassurance. “He knows you love him, so, yes, I’m sure he’ll be back. But it won’t be to stay. He’s got his own life to lead now, and that includes finding himself someone to spend his life with. There comes a time when we have to let them find their own way in the world, Mary. I think this is that time for you and Neil. Love him and he’ll come back to you, but he’ll have his own home soon.”

Mary dropped her eyes. “But it’s going to be a barren one.”

Jessica chuckled. “You never know. Jim and Tony have discussed becoming foster parents in a couple of year’s time. They may even adopt, though Tony said something about the laws may need to be changed before they can do that. I’ll have my grandkids, eventually. I can be patient.”

“Is that really the sort of environment for a young child?”

Jessica frowned. “What do you mean?”

Mary waved a hand in a vague gesture. “The drugs, the promiscuity, the diseases...”

Jessica chuckled. “You’ve still got a lot to learn, Mary. There are straight people who do all of those things, and there are gay people who don’t. I know my son; he’s not like that.” She cocked her head. “Are those just your fears because you don’t understand, or do you truly believe that Neil will do those things?”

When Mary didn’t respond, Jessica patted her on the arm and turn to chat with her husband about the game. Mary was lost in thought until the sound of static from the stadium speakers attracted her attention. The presentations were about to start.

* * *

Jim stared at the premiership medal in his hand for another couple of seconds before he let it drop back onto his chest. He was still in a state of mild disbelief. He was half-aware that the ABC television crew were paying him a lot of attention, but he didn’t care. He was waiting for the formalities to end so he would be able to go find Tony and wrap his arms around his boyfriend.

“...and finally, the Norm Goss Memorial Medal for the most valuable player in the grand final goes to,” the presenter paused for a moment, “Ty Flanders from the Lilydale Leopards!”

Jim joined in with the rest of the team in shouting out their congratulations. As Ty stood there looking stunned, Jim stepped over and gave him an amused shove. “Go get your medal, brat.”

Ty’s eyes were wide as he stared at Jim for another second. He then shook himself and, grinning broadly, walked over to have another medal hung around his neck. As the presenter stepped back, Roger came over, carrying the premiership cup. He and Ty then each grabbed one of the handles, faced the crowd, and lifted the cup above their heads. After the crowd roared, the two turned around and grinned at their teammates, still holding the premiership cup high.

The team surged forward and surrounded the two. Moments later, both of them were hoisted up onto the shoulders of their teammates, and the mob surged towards the nearest group of spectators to show off their trophy. It was almost ten minutes later before they could be gathered for the official team photo.

“You’re in it, too, Neil,” Ty said as he held onto Neil’s arm to make sure he didn’t get away.

“But, I’m not one of the players!”

“You’re part of the team.” Ty glanced at Jim. “Right, Dad?”

Jim gave Neil a sympathetic smile. “Go with the flow, Neil. The brat’s not always wrong.”

Ty gave him a mock scowl. “Hey, I’m always right. Just ask Neil.”

Neil tried to stay on the edge, but Ty didn’t let him. When the photo was taken, Neil was seated cross-legged on the ground, front and centre, with the premiership cup directly in front of him. Ty and Roger stood behind Neil, while Charlie, Jarrod, Deon, and Oliver sat on either side. The rest of the team either knelt or stood as needed, with the coaches on one edge and the support staff including Jackie on the other.

* * *

It had taken almost fifteen minutes from when the photographer had finished, but the players had finally been herded into the change room.

Once the door was closed, Peter whistled loudly to attract their attention. “Quieten down, because I’ve got something important to say.”

“Free beer?” Zach called out, which resulted in a general laugh and expressions of agreement.

Peter chuckled. “Later, maybe. Now, for the last time, will you all SHUT THE FUCK UP!

The outburst silenced everyone.

“Thank you. This won’t take long. I apologise now, because this isn’t the best time to say what I’m going to say, but I couldn’t do it before now, and I don’t think I’m going to get another chance to tell you in person. The news will be made public within days, and this is the last time before then that we’ll all be together in private. I wanted you to all hear it from me and not from someone else.”

Peter paused and took in the perplexed expressions. He continued before any of them gathered themselves together enough to ask a question. “Firstly, I want to say how much I appreciate what you guys have achieved today. You’ve put in the hard work, played as a team, and it’s paid off. I’m sure you’re going to be a force to be reckoned with in the VFL for years to come. I’m proud of you guys, and I’m sorry that I won’t be coaching you next year, but I couldn’t ask for a better send-off.”

“Hey, what?” Ty glanced around at his teammates and then at Peter. Julie and Will seemed as surprised as the players.

Peter smiled. “The news will be announced officially sometime in the next couple of days, but I’ve accepted an assistant-coaching job with the Western Bulldogs.” He chuckled. “They mightn’t be too happy with me at the moment, but I don’t care. I don’t become a Bulldog until sometime next week. For now, I’m still a Leopard, and tonight I’m going to celebrate with you guys by getting roaring drunk.” He winked at Zach. “The beers mightn’t be free, but the first round at dinner tonight will be on me.”

The resulting roar of appreciation was followed by the players mobbing Peter and wishing him all the best. Jim noticed Ty hanging back. “Something wrong?”

Ty shook his head. “I just don’t want my congratulations to be lost in the middle of everyone else’s.”

Jim smiled. “Smart thinking. I had the same idea.”

Ty sighed. “Do you think he’s going to put in a good word about you and Deon when he starts with the Bulldogs?” He grinned. “The Blues are taking things too easy for my liking and I want to give them some competition for your skills. And if the Bulldogs take Deon, he won’t have to break up with Clarissa.”

Jim smiled back. “And what about you, brat? Do you think he’ll put in a good word for you?”

Ty shook his head. “I’m not AFL material. I learnt that last year. It’s you and Deon who are going places.”

“That cup over there says that we’re the best team in the competition.” Jim reached over and lifted the Norm Goss Memorial medal off Ty’s chest. “This says you were the best player today, the best player in the best team.” He let the medal drop back down and gave Ty a hug. “Peter knows you, brat. If he’s going to put in a good word about any Leopard, your name is going to be on that list.”

Ty grimaced and pushed Jim away. “Don’t...”

“Don’t what?”

Ty had his head averted. “Don’t build up my hopes. Until someone speaks to me, I’m not going to believe any of the AFL teams wants me.” He looked back and stared Jim in the eye. “They’ve spoken to you. They’ve spoken to Deon. They haven’t spoken to me. I know where I stand, Dad. Don’t lie to me and tell me I’m something I’m not.”

Jim smiled and draped an arm across Ty’s shoulders. “Let’s just wait and see what happens between now and the draft. Until then, I’ll keep quiet.”

* * *

When the door to the change room was finally opened to the supporters, Liam was one of the first through. The players were being swamped by the fans, but Liam was only interested in one guy. He found him at the side sitting next to Jackie. “Neil!” As Neil stood up, Liam wrapped him in his arms. “It was a great game.”

“It was, but it was also very nerve-wracking.” Neil rested his head on Liam’s shoulder for a moment and then turned and gave Liam a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks for coming.”

Liam leant back enough to be able to look Neil in the eye, though he maintained his hold. “Hey, I was never not going to be here. And...” Liam kept his mental fingers crossed. “...we can celebrate the win for the rest of the night.”

Neil smiled and pulled away. He raised a warning finger. “I know what you’re thinking.”

Liam blushed. “Well?”

Neil grinned. “Celebrating sounds good to me. Neither one of us has to get up early in the morning.” The grin slipped. “Exactly how far will we be going? With our celebrating, I mean.”

“As far as you want. If that’s not very far, then that’s okay.” Liam touched his lips to Neil’s. “As far as I’m concerned, we’ll have plenty of times to celebrate in the future.”

A loud cough had them quickly separating. Liam glared. “Dad!”

Bruce Bellweather chuckled. “As I overheard Liam say, you two will have time later.” He winked at his red-faced son. “I didn’t catch what you said before that, but I’m sure it wasn’t anything I need to worry about. For now, however, there’s someone here who asked to see both of you.”

He stepped aside and Mary Rosewood stepped forward. Her husband was behind her, smiling at the two boys.

Neil wiped his hands on his pants. “Mum!”

Mary gave him a hug. “Well done, Neil. I’m so proud.” She then surprised both of the boys by embracing Liam, though a little stiffly. “Please don’t hurt him, Liam.”

Liam’s hands came up hesitantly but Mary had released him before he could return the hug.

Neil beamed as he grabbed his mother for a second hug. “Thanks, Mum.” When he let go, he was engulfed by his father’s arms. Liam smiled as he watched.

A minute later, with Mary dabbing at the corner of her eyes with a handkerchief, Neil’s father gave Liam and Neil a half-smile. “Neil, things have been rocky, and they’re still not back to the way they were before, but we’re getting there. Your mum and I know you’re heading to Sydney next year to get a degree, but we’d like to meet the people you’ll be staying with. I know this isn’t what today’s about, but I heard that they were here, and we were wondering...”

Neil’s grin disappeared and then came back. It faded again as he glanced at his mother. “I can introduce you now, Dad, but you do know that the two guys are a couple, right?”

Phil Rosewood nodded, his expression serious. “Deon’s father and his...” His eyes flicked to Mary for a moment. “...partner. Bruce has told us about them, and Glenda added more details today when we spoke during some of the breaks in play, but we’ve never met them. Could you...?”

Neil stared back for a moment and then deliberately reached across and took Liam’s hand. “Okay, Dad.” He turned to his mother with an expression that wasn’t quite a challenge. “Mum?”

Mary Rosewood bit her lower lip for a moment as she stared at the boys’ clasped hands. She then looked up and smiled, though Liam thought it looked strained. “Please, dear. We just want to know that you’ll be safe when you’re...that is, when you’re not home.”

“Okay.” Neil glanced around the room before he pointed. “They’re over there.” He led them through the celebrating throng until he reached a small group surrounding Deon and Jarrod.

“...and we’re not going to take no for an answer,” the balding gym junkie said. Liam had seen him speaking at earlier games, but he had never been introduced. He did know, though, that he was in a relationship with the man standing next to him.

Deon and Jarrod chuckled. “Today’s not the day for arguing, Matt, so okay.” Deon grinned at Neil. “How would you like a ride in a brand-new BMW sometime? Jarrod and I have just been given the job of test-driving some new stock for Matt and Gary.”

Neil grinned back. “Sounds good, but can I have a word with Sam and Marcus? My parents would like to meet them.”

There was a momentary silence and a noticeable change in the expressions amongst the assembled adults. Liam saw several of them frown, including Sam and Marcus.

When there was no immediate response, Neil stepped to the side. “Sam, Marcus, this is my mum and dad. Mum, Dad, these are the guys who have offered me a place to stay while I study.”

Phil Rosewood smiled broadly and stuck out his hand as he stepped forward. “I’m pleased to meet you. Neil’s told me a lot about you two, and I wanted to thank you in person.” The smile slipped as he glanced at his son. “I would’ve preferred it if he stayed home, but I understand why that’s not possible, so I’m glad that someone else is helping to pick up the pieces after the mess I made.”

Sam gave him an intense stare before he nodded and accepted the hand. “I know a little about stuffing up. I failed as a parent almost ten years ago, so I’m glad to have been given a second chance. We’ll look after Neil for you.”

* * *

The old Irishman waited for the crowd around him to disperse before he heaved himself to his feet. He had sat with mainly Footscray supporters during the match, but since he wasn’t normally vocal in his support, he wasn’t hassled. Most of the people around him probably didn’t realise that he had been mentally urging on the Leopards and one Leopard in particular.

After the efforts he had put in, Patrick O’Malley felt a certain degree of both responsibility and pride when it came to Ty Flanders. The young man had fought back from what should’ve been a season-ending injury not only to play but to lead his team to a well-fought victory. Patrick had smiled when the Norm Goss medal had been awarded, but it hadn’t come as a surprise to him. He would’ve been shocked if it had been given to anyone else. He was concerned that it would generate renewed interest in Ty, but there was little he could do about that. He just hoped that the other clubs would continue to misread Ty’s attitude and would leave the boy free for Carlton to draft.

As he shuffled his way to the exit, Patrick made a mental note to meet with Shane the next day. There was still a lot of planning to be done before the national draft in two months’ time, and Patrick was desperate to ensure that Ty would be drafted by Carlton and not end up elsewhere.

Patrick paused before he left the seating area and glanced across the oval to where the Leopard supporters were still celebrating. He smiled and nodded his head in their direction. While he personally still had things to do, it had been the last day of the season for most of the Leopards, and he wished them all the best as they returned to family and friends after an arduous season. The handful that had a chance of making the leap to the AFL still had work ahead of them, but Patrick knew that would be put aside until later.

For now, it was the time to toast the Leopards’ premiership win. The future could wait a little longer.

* * *

Jessica Henderson chuckled as they strolled towards where the Rosewoods had parked the car. Since the Hendersons were staying in the city for the post-match dinner, they had left a change of clothes that they needed to collect in the Rosewood vehicle. “If I know football players, tonight’s celebration is going to finish sometime well after midnight.”

Philip grinned. “For some of them, it mightn’t end until sometime Tuesday or later.”

Mary Rosewood frowned. “Should we go back and keep an eye on them? Todd said he’d take Neil...that he’d take the boys home after the event at the casino was finished. I don’t want Neil in the car with someone who’s drunk.”

Her husband sighed. “They’ll be fine, Mary. Todd’s promised me that he’ll watch what he drinks and that he’ll get Neil and Liam home safely. Bruce told me he trusts Todd, and I trust him, too. He’s been looking after Neil since May, and he’s been doing a great job.” He snorted. “I’m more concerned about the fact that Neil’s spending the night at Liam’s place, but I suppose it was going to happen sooner or later.”

Mary blanched and reached into her handbag. Before she could retrieve anything, though, Jessica snatched the bag away. “Mary, you have to stop bursting into tears anytime you realise that Neil’s not the boy you thought he was! Our boys have their own lives to live, and that includes sex.” When Mary flinched, Jessica narrowed her eyes as she handed back Mary’s handbag. “I thought you did well back at the stadium when you spoke to Liam. Neither Jim nor Neil is the boy we thought we knew when they were growing up, but we know them better now. We have to accept that they’ve got their own paths to follow. We can guide, we can support, but they’re the ones who have to walk those paths. Don’t put obstacles in their way!”

Phil put his arms around Mary and pulled her into his chest. “I think you’re being a bit harsh, Jessica. Mary’s taken some big steps towards accepting Neil, but you can’t expect her to change instantly.”

Jessica sighed and reached out to put a hand on Mary’s shoulder. “Sorry. Phil’s right; I shouldn’t have said what I did.”

Mary sniffed as she lifted her head and looked at Jim’s mother. “Maybe I needed that. I don’t know. You mean well, and you’ve helped me a lot, but sometimes...”

Jim’s father nodded. “Sometimes it gets too much. When that happens, we cry a bit, and then we straighten our shoulders and march on. That’s part of the responsibility of being a parent.”

Phil raised an eyebrow, but didn’t say anything. Jim’s father grinned in response before continuing. “And if you’ve been raised like Phil and me, you do your crying in private where no one else can see. That doesn’t mean we don’t feel sad at times.” He caught Phil’s eye. “Our boys are going to have challenges we never had to face. I can’t help but feel sorry that they have to go through them without us. At least, they have Tony and Liam to stand with them.”

Phil nodded his head slowly and then smiled at his wife. “Liam’s a good kid. If I have to trust Neil with someone, I’m happy for that person to be Liam.”

* * *

Peter stared out over the crowded function room. There wasn’t an unhappy face he could see amongst the mass of brown-and-black decorations that adorned the Crown Casino room.

Normally, he hated these sorts of events, but this time he was relaxed. Eric, the club president who had preceded him in front of the microphone, had made official the announcement that Peter was leaving the club, so that was one less thing for Peter to worry about.

“In over ten years with the Leopards, I can honestly say that I have never coached a better team than the guys who won today.” Peter smiled as he waited for the cheers to die down before he continued. “That’s not just because we won today. The premiership isn’t even a factor in that statement because this is something I’ve felt for the last few weeks.

“No, the reason this is the best team I’ve coached is because they literally are the best team.” Peter waved a hand at the nearby tables where the players sat with their families and friends. “Individually, the players have a huge amount of talent. I’m not going to mention names, because I don’t believe I need to read out the team list again, but that’s not what made them the premiers today. Individual performances were important, but it’s what they did together that won the match. Not only today, but throughout the year. They played together, they supported each other, and most importantly of all, they trusted each other.”

Peter paused, surprised that he still had most of the crowd listening to him. Usually at the end-of-season functions, half the crowd would be holding their own private conversations while he spoke.

“The other factor that makes these guys so special is that they recognise that the team isn’t just the players. Now, I’m going to mention names because it’s the team members who aren’t players that are the unsung heroes and deserve to be recognised. I’ll start with the obvious ones: Will and Julie.” Peter grinned down at where his two assistant coaches were seated. “They taught, cajoled, pleaded, and, very occasionally, yelled at the guys to get them to do what they needed to do.”

The players laughed at the exaggeration and then started to applaud, an acknowledgement of appreciation that quickly spread to the rest of the room. Peter waited a moment and then held up his hand to quiet everyone. “Then there’s our medical staff who kept the guys fit, and when they weren’t, performed miracles to get them ready again to play. Andrew, Mark, Jackie, would you please stand up so all our supporters can see who you are?”

After the club doctor and two physiotherapists were acknowledged by the crowd, Peter smiled. “I’m now getting to the point where there’s no way I will be able to mentioned everyone by name, so I’m going to name the group you work for, and I’d like to you to stand so everyone can thank you. Firstly, the front-office staff. Everyone who works for Glenda, please stand up.”

Peter worked his way through the club staff, including the volunteers such as the runners. He grinned as the players gave Neil an especially loud cheer. He then had everyone thank the friends and family of the players, followed by all the sponsors.

“Finally, to everyone who hasn’t already been identified, thank you.” Peter looked around the room. “As far as I’m concerned, and as far as the players are concerned, everyone in this room is part of the Leopards family, and that makes you part of the team. Right, guys?”

“Too right!” Ty yelled out, before being drowned out by his teammates’ agreement.

Once everyone had settled back down, Peter grinned. “I think everyone’s had just enough of me, but there’s one more person I need to mention. Someone who epitomises putting the team first. Someone who encourages everyone else by going that extra mile and pushing the boundaries of what seems humanly possible.” He caught Anne Flintlock’s eye, and she nodded once before speaking to one of the casino staff members.

Peter paused for a moment, his expression going serious for the first time. “I won’t ask him to stand up because the painkillers he took so he could play today have worn off by now, but Ty, affectionately known around the club as the brat, has done us all proud. However, he went into the game today holding a secret. A secret that I’m now going to reveal for everyone to share.”

A disturbance from the side drew everyone’s attention. One of the serving staff was wheeling in a trolley on which had been placed a large cake decorated with lit candles.

Peter leant forward towards the microphone to make sure his voice would carry over the increasing noise. “Brat, you have around your neck both a premiership medal and the Norm Goss medal, so I don’t know what you’re going to wish for, but happy 19th birthday!”

* * *

Ty stared at the approaching cake, then up at the stage where Peter was preparing to lead everyone in singing the happy-birthday song, and finally across the table at Jim who was grinning broadly. “You! This is all your fault, isn’t it?”

Jim laughed. “Not just me. Roger, Peter, Anne, Colin, and Tony were all in on it, too.” He lifted up his beer. “Happy birthday, brat.”

Ty turned to Karen on his right and then Neil on his left. “Did you two know about this?”

Neil shook his head, but Karen chuckled. “I might’ve.”

Ty gave a mock growl. He looked past Neil to Liam. “Look after this one, Liam, because it seems he’s the only person around here who I can trust to keep a secret.”

The conversation was cut short by everyone in the room joining in to sing to Ty. When it finished, he took a deep breath and blew out the candles. He then settled back in his seat as the waiter started to cut up the cake.

“What did you wish for?” Neil asked.

Ty tried to glare across the table at Jim, but he suspected the grin on his face ruined the effect. “I wished that someone, who shall remain nameless, would get the fuck out of my life.”

Jim grinned back and raised his beer again in salute. Ty returned the gesture, not letting on that he wasn’t lying. His wish had been that he would get to see Jim and Deon being drafted later that year.

* * *

Matt frowned at Gary after the birthday singing ended. “You’re a better judge of character than me. What did you think of that young boy’s parents? The ones we met after the game.”

Gary snorted. “You’re no slouch yourself.” He contemplated Sam and Marcus as he took a sip of wine. “I presume you’re talking about Neil Rosewood’s parents.” He shrugged. “I’d say his father is honestly remorseful for what he did. I was prepared to dislike him, but I don’t have any doubts as to his sincerity and his love for his son. Why?”

“Because I haven’t been able to stop thinking about how Neil seemed to trust his father. I don’t want to see him hurt again if it’s all a sham.” Matt turned to Sam. “You obviously know the kid better than we do. What’s your opinion?”

“I don’t know him that well, though we’ve been making a point of saying hello and spending a little bit of time with him each time we’re down here.” Sam paused, his brow wrinkled as he pondered the question. “Neil can be a bit naive at times, but he doesn’t trust easily. From what he’s told us and what we’ve heard, he’s been a loner for a long time. The danger there is that when he does trust, he might trust too much. He’s believed for so long that his parents wouldn’t accept him. Now that it appears that he’s wrong, he might’ve swung too far the other way.” Sam grimaced. “I’m biased, though, because I can’t help but see the parallels between Neil and Deon. Both have hated their fathers for a long time. Deon’s come around, and I can’t help but wish the same for Neil and his father.”

“Is that why you’re giving Neil a place to stay while he studies?” Gary asked.

“That, and because Deon asked me to.” Sam turned to Marcus. “You don’t think we’re doing the wrong thing, do you?”

Marcus shook his head. “Neil needs a place to stay. It’ll take a bit of getting used to, but I don’t mind that he’ll be joining us.” He chuckled. “I’m guessing that boyfriend of his will be dropping in regularly, too, but we’ve got plenty of time before we need to work out any ground rules.”

Matt gave them a mock scowl. “Ground rules? He’s a teenager. He needs to run free!”

Gary chuckled. “Well, best wishes, guys. Stay in touch; we’d like to know how things go, not only with Neil, but also with everything else that’s going on. You’re part of the family now.”

Matt grinned. “We’ve gained a lot of new family members, this year. And that makes us very, very happy.” He winked. “Now, when you’re in the market for a new BMW...”

“Matt!” Gary rolled his eyes. “I can’t take you anywhere.”

Matt raised both eyebrows and stared down his nose at his partner. “Of course not! I take you everywhere.”

* * *

“So, what happens next?” Oliver’s arm was around Helena’s waist as he talked to Todd.

“We eat, drink, and be merry.” Todd frowned. “Why?”

Oliver shook his head. “Not now. I mean after tonight. Last year we all went our own ways for a couple of months, but that doesn’t feel right this time. We’re a premiership-winning team; just splitting up until the pre-season starts feels like a massive anticlimax.”

“I don’t know about you, but I’ve got plans.” Todd winked. “I’m going to be busy for the next couple of weeks. After that, you and Helena will have more chances to be alone at home.”

Oliver’s eyes widened. “You’re finally moving in with Lorraine?”

Todd nodded, a broad grin on his face.

Helena slipped away from Oliver and gave Todd a kiss on the cheek. “About time, but good things come to those that wait.” She stepped back into Oliver’s arm and smiled. “This calls for a toast.”

“Thanks, Helena, but I’m driving tonight, and I’ve had enough already. I promised Liam’s parents that I’d get him and Neil home safely tonight, so I’m watching what I drink.”

Oliver gave him a wry smile. “That wasn’t particularly well-planned. Why don’t you put them in a taxi? I’ll chip in for the cost.”

Todd chuckled. “Thanks, but I’ll do what I said I’d do.” He cocked his head. “What about you? Any plans?”

Helena laughed. “I’ve already taken tomorrow off from work. Ollie and I will be sleeping in tomorrow.”

Todd scoffed. “Knowing you two, you might be staying in bed, but you won’t be sleeping.”

Oliver tried to look innocent but ended up grinning instead. “Helena and I have a healthy relationship.” He gave his girlfriend a kiss on the cheek. “But we’ll be up by midday. We’re having lunch with her mum.”

Todd’s jaw dropped. “Does that mean...?”

Oliver scowled. “Don’t read too much into it. It’s not like I’m going on a date with her. Helena’s mum, I mean. Not Helena. I’m dating her.” Oliver paused. “I think I’m almost drunk.”

“You might be past that point, but you’re not the only one.” Todd gave Oliver a playful punch in the arm. “Well, good luck for tomorrow if I don’t see you before then.”

Helena chuckled. “Don’t worry about him. My mum will complain because he’s not Greek, but that’ll be between winks about Italian lovers and sighs about Italian cooking. Ollie will be fine.”

Todd laughed while a red-faced Oliver grinned.

* * *

Ty smirked. “Drink up, because this is your only chance.”

Deon paused with the beer halfway to his mouth. “What do you mean?”

“Because you’re still expected to be there for the extra training session on Tuesday.” Ty gave him a malicious grin. “I’ll do the gym work with you, and Dad will be doing the run. This time, though, you’re doing the full thing, and not joining in halfway like you’ve been doing.”

Jim turned away from the low-voice conversation he had been having with Tony. “What was that you just said?”

“You and Deon are going for a run on Tuesday, and then I’ll be supervising you both in the gym afterwards.”

“Yeah, right. Dream on, brat.” Jim chuckled and started to turn away.

“You’ve got no choice, Dad. You’re a Leopard.”

Jim frowned at Ty. “What’s that got to do with anything?”

“Deon needs our help. He has to get ready for the draft camp in two weeks’ time. Our job is to make sure he doesn’t slacken off but keeps up his training so he can show all the AFL clubs what he’s capable of.”

Jim stared for a moment and then grimaced. “Sorry, Deon, but I think the brat’s right. If you want someone to run with, I’ll be there.”

“Hey, don’t try to weasel out of things, Dad. You need to keep up your skills, too, for when you get drafted. You’ll be representing the Leopards, too, and we want to show everyone that the Leopards are just as good as AFL players.” Ty turned to Deon. “But in the meantime, drink up!

“Tonight we celebrate, tomorrow we recover, and Tuesday we’re back in training again.”

strong>Author’s Note: Thank you everyone for persevering through an entire football season with the guys. This is not the end, though. The story of the Lilydale Leopards will continue in Book 3: Leopards Leap.
For those interested, the “speccie”, such as the one that Charlie took to help the Leopards win the match, is one of the most spectacular parts of the game. This article from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation shows a handful of the current AFL players performing a similar mark. You can find a lot more examples on the AFL website, or on YouTube, such as in this 10 minute collection of AFL marks over the years.
Copyright © 2015 Graeme; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Administrator
On 09/05/2015 02:57 PM, quokka said:

Well done mate, great story.

i look forward to the next one.

Thank you!

Link to comment

An incredibly tense last quarter, Graeme! The chapter was full of nail-biting drama, and the team triumphed in the end.
I was so afraid this was the end--I'm so glad that there is another book! I really wish Neil's mum would come to terms with him as Jessica has said. It's time she realized that she is the main obstacle to Neil's wanting to visit home again.
Guess I'll have to watch my recorded AFL games until the next book starts!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thank you Graeme
Well written for this and "Leopard Skin Cover" both books got me in and eagarly waiting for the next chapter
Your writing enen got me emotionally involved in the stories
Especially The Grand Finial
I will be watching out for the next addition

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/05/2015 04:01 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

An incredibly tense last quarter, Graeme! The chapter was full of nail-biting drama, and the team triumphed in the end.

I was so afraid this was the end--I'm so glad that there is another book! I really wish Neil's mum would come to terms with him as Jessica has said. It's time she realized that she is the main obstacle to Neil's wanting to visit home again.

Guess I'll have to watch my recorded AFL games until the next book starts!

Thank you! This was not where I originally intended to finish the story, but since I wasn't going to be able to keep to a regular posting cycle, I thought it best to end this part of the story here and continue to my original intended ending in a separate book.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/05/2015 04:05 PM, prklux said:

Thank you Graeme

Well written for this and "Leopard Skin Cover" both books got me in and eagarly waiting for the next chapter

Your writing enen got me emotionally involved in the stories

Especially The Grand Finial

I will be watching out for the next addition

Thank you. It wasn't intended to be a three book series, but that's the way it's turning out. As with this book, I'll make sure I can post chapters regularly before I start posting the new story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/05/2015 08:11 PM, Carlos Hazday said:

Thank you! Magnificent story, and great inspiration. I hope mine turns out half as good. If I poach, cyber slap me!

LOL :D Thanks, Carlos!

Link to comment

I was all resigned to the Leopards doing well but losing, so it was a wonderful surprise to have them winning. :2thumbs: And with Charlie scoring the winning goal after a spectacular move, just like him to calculate the odds and cooly decide to carry it out, only to be all 'Sh*t' as he looks down. Hopefully he didn't land on his bad shoulder - although if it's fully healed but still taped, it might have been the best choice.
Others have already commented on the nerve wrecking game, so I'll just say I enjoyed it a lot. Including the moment when Steven had to slightly revise his opinion of Neil. Ollie's interaction with the banner guys was fun, and I'm glad to see he's admitting to seriously dating Helena.
Of course Ty got the best player medal, and I'm not surprised Patrick is worried about other teams becoming interested. I think he should approach Ty and tell him the Blues want him and urge him to keep discouraging other teams. Or perhaps he's not allowed to do that ? In any case, I'm sure this ploy will be a major part of the next book (can't wait).
Good job on working more on Mary and her misconceptions about gay couples. It was a clever move to have Neil's parents meet Sam and Marcus, and good point about Sam having messed up in his past, in relation to his family. And I had to laugh about Liam's dad teasing the boys. I hope they are right about having plenty of time to be together, but I'd like them to take the first steps tonight. Looking and touching should do the trick. ;) 
Great speeches by Peter, and he was absolutely right about this being the best team. I'm sure many of the players will tell him that he was an important factor in bringing this about. He deserved being sent off with a win and a blast of a party.
So did we, but I liked the fact you ended with a lead on the start of the next book: the brat pushing Dad and Deon to work their chances of being drafted. But surely Ty should be recuperating longer than just a day? Or at least have the physio monitoring and telling him what exercises to do.
Did I remember everything? Else I can do a story review... :)

Edited by Timothy M.
Link to comment

I always love reviewing after Tim because he will invariably have said all the important bits and I can just chime in with a well-placed "me too". :yes::P

 

The game was brilliant! While I was fairly certain they'd win, I really liked that you kept them behind until the last minutes of the game. Very exciting! I'm going to have to watch the videos on which Charlie's aerial manoeuver was based.

 

Ollie's flirting in his underwear... :wub:

 

But, of course, the star (of both the game and the book) was Ty. I love the brat so much! I just wanted to hug him at the end and tell him good things were coming. Although, I do wonder what would happen if he got drafted and Deon and Jim didn't. Especially Jim, given Patrick's little games. I believe you've said players can't turn down a draft pick, but I assume he could just decline to be drafted at all. Of course, that would end his AFL career aspirations, but I don't think it's an inconceivable outcome given his loyalty to Jim and fairly black-and-white sense of justice. Hopefully Jim's spectacular kicking accuracy during the game will convince one of the interested teams to draft him. Or Ty could convince Patrick to take both of them. :rolleyes:

 

Thank you again for a wonderful story. :hug: Waiting anxiously for Book 3.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank you for giving us the win!!!! It was tense and nerve wracking but soo worth it! I won't repeat the highlights, but I must mention Charlie, Jim, Ty! 'Ollie, Ollie, Ollie!' I can't wait until Ty knows what we know! He deserves such good things. Neil- I really hope they drop the Four Dork now, or well, he's moving so maybe it won't matter! Peter is a winning coach!

 

Thank you you for creating this family of football players whom we came to know as friends. For sharing their lives, and telling their story. We loved them, shared their pain, celebrated their highs, suffered their lows and everything in between. We invested in their happiness and now look forward to seeing what their future holds. There is so much to look forward to. I'm in for the ride. Go Lillydale Leopards!

 

Thank you for a fantastic story Graeme! (I'm going to miss this on Saturdays)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Is this book done? I realize from the note and comments there is a third book but is this The End of this novel?
Regardless, fantastic use of tension and the characters to build anxiety in your readers. I didn't need my coffee you had me so worked up before Charlie's grab! That was a masterful stroke of the imagination. Very impressive. And then you build up the emotions with Ty's reaction to the stress and Patrick and his birthday. I was in tears over the poor guy's up and down emotional roller coaster.
We can also see they aren't ready to part. Deon, Ty, and Jim aren't ready to move on and we still have the problem with Neil's parents, Liam's future, and how that all pans out.
I can't wait for more. I do not want it to end. Therefore it in incumbent for you to spend 24/7 in front of you're computer spinning yarns for us. No excuses kind sir! Back to the keyboard. Lol!
Graeme, you are writing something very special. You should be proud. It is a joy to read a story this thoughtful and thought provoking. Thank you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hey Graeme!:3 Great chapter and I was about to say "this is the end? really?" But then i saw that there is to be a sequel! Considering that, it was a good point to stop;3 how long do you think it will take before you start posting? cant wait to see what the main plots will be? will it start right where this one stopped or will it be with some time in between? :3
xx
Sammy

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/05/2015 09:16 PM, Timothy M. said:

I was all resigned to the Leopards doing well but losing, so it was a wonderful surprise to have them winning. :D And with Charlie scoring the winning goal after a spectacular move, just like him to calculate the odds and cooly decide to carry it out, only to be all 'Sh*t' as he looks down. Hopefully he didn't land on his bad shoulder - although if it's fully healed but still taped, it might have been the best choice.

Others have already commented on the nerve wrecking game, so I'll just say I enjoyed it a lot. Including the moment when Steven had to slightly revise his opinion of Neil. Ollie's interaction with the banner guys was fun, and I'm glad to see he's admitting to seriously dating Helena.

Of course Ty got the best player medal, and I'm not surprised Patrick is worried about other teams becoming interested. I think he should approach Ty and tell him the Blues want him and urge him to keep discouraging other teams. Or perhaps he's not allowed to do that ? In any case, I'm sure this ploy will be a major part of the next book (can't wait).

Good job on working more on Mary and her misconceptions about gay couples. It was a clever move to have Neil's parents meet Sam and Marcus, and good point about Sam having messed up in his past, in relation to his family. And I had to laugh about Liam's dad teasing the boys. I hope they are right about having plenty of time to be together, but I'd like them to take the first steps tonight. Looking and touching should do the trick. ;)

Great speeches by Peter, and he was absolutely right about this being the best team. I'm sure many of the players will tell him that he was an important factor in bringing this about. He deserved being sent off with a win and a blast of a party.

So did we, but I liked the fact you ended with a lead on the start of the next book: the brat pushing Dad and Deon to work their chances of being drafted. But surely Ty should be recuperating longer than just a day? Or at least have the physio monitoring and telling him what exercises to do.

Did I remember everything? Else I can do a story review... :)

Thanks, Tim!

 

Patrick is concerned about the other teams becoming interested in Ty, but he's leaving that until later. However, Ty doesn't get a choice in which team he joins. As his father was told in a very early chapter, by nominating for the draft, he has already agreed to join any team that drafts him, no matter which team that is. Patrick's concern would be that the other teams learn that Ty's attitude problem from 2013 has gone, and telling Ty just might be enough to let that cat out of the bag.

 

As for training, Ty's planning on supervising Deon, not running with him (he's got Dad to do that). He'll workout with Deon in the gym, but only on things that don't stress his knee.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/05/2015 09:54 PM, impunity said:

I always love reviewing after Tim because he will invariably have said all the important bits and I can just chime in with a well-placed "me too". :yes::P

 

The game was brilliant! While I was fairly certain they'd win, I really liked that you kept them behind until the last minutes of the game. Very exciting! I'm going to have to watch the videos on which Charlie's aerial manoeuver was based.

 

Ollie's flirting in his underwear... :wub:

 

But, of course, the star (of both the game and the book) was Ty. I love the brat so much! I just wanted to hug him at the end and tell him good things were coming. Although, I do wonder what would happen if he got drafted and Deon and Jim didn't. Especially Jim, given Patrick's little games. I believe you've said players can't turn down a draft pick, but I assume he could just decline to be drafted at all. Of course, that would end his AFL career aspirations, but I don't think it's an inconceivable outcome given his loyalty to Jim and fairly black-and-white sense of justice. Hopefully Jim's spectacular kicking accuracy during the game will convince one of the interested teams to draft him. Or Ty could convince Patrick to take both of them. :rolleyes:

 

Thank you again for a wonderful story. :hug: Waiting anxiously for Book 3.

Thank you! Book 3 is progressing slowly. Unfortunately, very slowly, but at least it's progressing :)

 

Ty can't refuse to be drafted, but as has father said in a very early chapter, he doesn't have to try after being drafted. For example, he could just not show up, but that would mean goodbye to any potential AFL career. Of course, Jim might have something to say if he tried doing that...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/05/2015 11:43 PM, Defiance19 said:

Thank you for giving us the win!!!! It was tense and nerve wracking but soo worth it! I won't repeat the highlights, but I must mention Charlie, Jim, Ty! 'Ollie, Ollie, Ollie!' I can't wait until Ty knows what we know! He deserves such good things. Neil- I really hope they drop the Four Dork now, or well, he's moving so maybe it won't matter! Peter is a winning coach!

 

Thank you you for creating this family of football players whom we came to know as friends. For sharing their lives, and telling their story. We loved them, shared their pain, celebrated their highs, suffered their lows and everything in between. We invested in their happiness and now look forward to seeing what their future holds. There is so much to look forward to. I'm in for the ride. Go Lillydale Leopards!

 

Thank you for a fantastic story Graeme! (I'm going to miss this on Saturdays)

Thank you! Yes, they've been through both highs and lows, but they've finished the season on a high, which I think was good. Even Dave is showing signs of thawing ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/06/2015 12:16 AM, Cole Matthews said:

Is this book done? I realize from the note and comments there is a third book but is this The End of this novel?

Regardless, fantastic use of tension and the characters to build anxiety in your readers. I didn't need my coffee you had me so worked up before Charlie's grab! That was a masterful stroke of the imagination. Very impressive. And then you build up the emotions with Ty's reaction to the stress and Patrick and his birthday. I was in tears over the poor guy's up and down emotional roller coaster.

We can also see they aren't ready to part. Deon, Ty, and Jim aren't ready to move on and we still have the problem with Neil's parents, Liam's future, and how that all pans out.

I can't wait for more. I do not want it to end. Therefore it in incumbent for you to spend 24/7 in front of you're computer spinning yarns for us. No excuses kind sir! Back to the keyboard. Lol!

Graeme, you are writing something very special. You should be proud. It is a joy to read a story this thoughtful and thought provoking. Thank you.

Thank you! Yes, this book is done. I originally intended to write through to the draft, but while for most of the story I had a 10-12 buffer of chapters ready to post, by the time I finished writing this chapter I was down to only a handful. I already knew by that stage that I wasn't going to be able to keep posting weekly, so I decided to finish this book with the grand final and spend the next book on the lead-up to the draft.

 

As for writing 24/7, I'd love to, but I'm doing so much travel for work that I'm not getting a lot of writing time. I often have the intention to write when I get back to my hotel at night, but I'm usually too tired. I'm a morning person and that's when I do most of my writing...if I'm not busy working instead.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/06/2015 12:31 AM, Sammy Blue said:

Hey Graeme!:3 Great chapter and I was about to say "this is the end? really?" But then i saw that there is to be a sequel! Considering that, it was a good point to stop;3 how long do you think it will take before you start posting? cant wait to see what the main plots will be? will it start right where this one stopped or will it be with some time in between? :3

xx

Sammy

I don't have a date for when the next book will start posting, but I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say that the next book starts on the day after the grand final.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I have enjoyed both books tremendously and gained an appreciation for Australian Football through your vivd description of the Leopards' games. This last chapter was brilliant in leading us through the last quarter. You had suspense, detailed play and made it all flow seamlessly. For me this is all the more impressive as while I enjoy participating in sport, i am not a great spectator.
Now I guess comes a long break until Book 3 gets online. How can we stand the suspense waiting to see who gets drafted, what this does to the ongoing relationships and what happens with Liam and Neil? Saturdays will be torture!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/06/2015 04:10 AM, Rndmrunner said:

I have enjoyed both books tremendously and gained an appreciation for Australian Football through your vivd description of the Leopards' games. This last chapter was brilliant in leading us through the last quarter. You had suspense, detailed play and made it all flow seamlessly. For me this is all the more impressive as while I enjoy participating in sport, i am not a great spectator.

Now I guess comes a long break until Book 3 gets online. How can we stand the suspense waiting to see who gets drafted, what this does to the ongoing relationships and what happens with Liam and Neil? Saturdays will be torture!

Thank you! The grand final is, naturally, the highlight of the football season and it deserved to be treated as such. I don't think any other game has gone for much more than half a chapter, but it deserved it's own chapter...and a bit. :) I did try writing it as a single long chapter, but that was going to be too long which is why I chose to break it into two.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Hi Graeme :)

 

First off, thank you very much for taking the time to write this story and especially for sharing with us all!!

 

A few things on my mind. Knowing these would be spoilers if answered, but just putting them down so we can maybe look back at them in the future.

 

First off, with the draft, I'm wondering if the draft will be the sign of the end of next year's Leopards. I do believe that Deon, Dave, Brat all should be gone in the draft. Dad, I'm not too sure of. I still have the feeling that Patrick and the Blues invited Jim to the training for publicity as well as they knew the Brat would most likely come too. Ty is the one that they are really after. So 3 or 4 of the main characters on the team move on, will next years rookies be enough to substitute for them? Also, with Peter gone, we now believe Julie will take over the team. Will she have the talent to carry on the level of play without him? The 3 coaches were as much of a team as the player this year.

 

Neil and Liam, you have more or less made us believe that the two of them are heading off to Uni soon. Guess I don't know the school terms in Australia opposed to North America. I do believe they have some time left before finals and they graduate? If they do, do they have a 'summer' break before they head off to Sydney?

 

Neil's mom, I think she finally got the message when Jim's mom knocked her hand away from grabbing at the tissue. Rather than looking at the fact the Neil is leaving her for a lifestyle, she maybe now realizes that he is his own man and their will be a place for her. If she just relizes that he isn't leaving her, he is growing up.

 

Last thing that comes to mind is a major compliment to you Graeme. Your description of the play and the rules made me reading the Grand Final, feel that we were in the stadium and could picture the guys on the field. You did this by giving us information, but not overloading us with second by second details of the play of every game. The fact that i know what a ruck, a handball, a mark, the 50 m arc, what a goal and a behind, where the forwards, midfielders and defenders all are and what they do is a testiment to your writing skills. I do believe you said in Leopard Cover that you weren't a huge fan of Australian Football, but you make it like you are the country's #1 expert on the game ;) I think I could finally watch a game and know what is going on.

 

Oh, Charlie and his climbing the back of the opponent. I remember a couple of years ago in the CFL (Canadian Football League), aka North American Football, a team was attempting to kick a field goal (3 pointst) and one of the defensive players literally ran up the back of one of his own players and jumped at his shoulders and blocked the kick probably 15 feet in the air. Unfortunately there is a rule for that and he and the team were penalized and the other team got the points on the rekick.

 

Once again Graeme. Thanks so much!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/06/2015 10:23 AM, wildone said:

Hi Graeme :)

 

First off, thank you very much for taking the time to write this story and especially for sharing with us all!!

 

A few things on my mind. Knowing these would be spoilers if answered, but just putting them down so we can maybe look back at them in the future.

 

First off, with the draft, I'm wondering if the draft will be the sign of the end of next year's Leopards. I do believe that Deon, Dave, Brat all should be gone in the draft. Dad, I'm not too sure of. I still have the feeling that Patrick and the Blues invited Jim to the training for publicity as well as they knew the Brat would most likely come too. Ty is the one that they are really after. So 3 or 4 of the main characters on the team move on, will next years rookies be enough to substitute for them? Also, with Peter gone, we now believe Julie will take over the team. Will she have the talent to carry on the level of play without him? The 3 coaches were as much of a team as the player this year.

 

Neil and Liam, you have more or less made us believe that the two of them are heading off to Uni soon. Guess I don't know the school terms in Australia opposed to North America. I do believe they have some time left before finals and they graduate? If they do, do they have a 'summer' break before they head off to Sydney?

 

Neil's mom, I think she finally got the message when Jim's mom knocked her hand away from grabbing at the tissue. Rather than looking at the fact the Neil is leaving her for a lifestyle, she maybe now realizes that he is his own man and their will be a place for her. If she just relizes that he isn't leaving her, he is growing up.

 

Last thing that comes to mind is a major compliment to you Graeme. Your description of the play and the rules made me reading the Grand Final, feel that we were in the stadium and could picture the guys on the field. You did this by giving us information, but not overloading us with second by second details of the play of every game. The fact that i know what a ruck, a handball, a mark, the 50 m arc, what a goal and a behind, where the forwards, midfielders and defenders all are and what they do is a testiment to your writing skills. I do believe you said in Leopard Cover that you weren't a huge fan of Australian Football, but you make it like you are the country's #1 expert on the game ;) I think I could finally watch a game and know what is going on.

 

Oh, Charlie and his climbing the back of the opponent. I remember a couple of years ago in the CFL (Canadian Football League), aka North American Football, a team was attempting to kick a field goal (3 pointst) and one of the defensive players literally ran up the back of one of his own players and jumped at his shoulders and blocked the kick probably 15 feet in the air. Unfortunately there is a rule for that and he and the team were penalized and the other team got the points on the rekick.

 

Once again Graeme. Thanks so much!!!

Thank you!

 

As you've indicated, there's a lot that I can't respond to without giving away spoilers. However, I can clarify the situation with the draft and school.

 

Because most of the kids who will be drafted are in their final year of secondary (high) school, the draft national four-day combine is deliberately timed to be during the break between school terms 3 and 4. That way the kids are not taken out of school for the testing. The one-day state combines are also timed to try to minimise the impact on schooling. In the case of the Victorian combine, it's on the last Saturday of the school holidays.

 

The AFL then tries to have nothing to do with the kids until late November, after all of their school exams are finished. This is to allow the kids to concentrate on their studies and exams at a critical time for them. The results of their exams (conducted from early to mid November) determine if they are able to get into the university course they want. Since most of the kids in the draft will not be picked, it's considered important that they have the best possible chance at their exams.

 

So the draft occurs after the end of the Year 12 school year (the earlier years tend to continue on into December before the school year ends, usually 1-3 weeks before Christmas, depending on whether it is a private or state-run school).

 

In January, the universities send out their first round of offers to students. Students are allow to turn them down or defer. In the case of an AFL draftee, the club will often organise for the student to take their degree part-time. Just because they're an AFL player, that doesn't mean they can't also be a university student. Indeed, the AFL Players Association encourages their members to continue their studies, because for a number of those kids, their AFL careers will be over within four years.

 

The university school year starts either late February or early March, so there's a big gap between the end of Year 12 and the start of university. The secondary (high) schools tend to start late January or early February.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I haven't posted much but wanted to add to kudos to your skill at selling football and also attracting us to your characters. I have been sucked in totally. It adds to my strong desire to visit Australia. Thanks for all your work and looking forward to the leap. Steve

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/07/2015 01:41 AM, Gandalf said:

I haven't posted much but wanted to add to kudos to your skill at selling football and also attracting us to your characters. I have been sucked in totally. It adds to my strong desire to visit Australia. Thanks for all your work and looking forward to the leap. Steve

Thanks, Steve! I had a lot of fun writing the story, though there were a lot of challenges, too. It needed a lot of research, but I thoroughly enjoyed finding out some of what goes on behind-the-scenes in the AFL.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 9/5/2015 at 12:11 PM, Carlos Hazday said:

Thank you! Magnificent story, and great inspiration. I hope mine turns out half as good. If I poach, cyber slap me!

 

LOL. Did CJ and Ozzie go to any footie matches in Australia ? If Graeme ever catches up to the present with the team it would be fun to have your characters watch a Lilydale Leopards game. :lol: 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..