Jump to content
    Greg_A
  • Author
  • 7,191 Words
  • 3,531 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Blind Date and Beginnings - 11. Blind Date - Part 11

“What?” I finally managed to splutter around my fits of choking. I’m sure I had the classic deer in the headlights look too, completing my oh so innocent look. At least my voice hadn’t gone into the upper registers of mouse squeaking, probably more from total shock than anything.

“I’m sorry dear,” Mary replied with a concerned look. “I didn’t mean to take you off guard. But you are dating my son aren’t you?” she asked in a totally reasonable, tolerate no nonsense, tone of voice.

That direct question of hers had me by the short hairs. It didn’t leave me any room to wiggle out of it or practice some of my more evasive conversational techniques. I have never been able to lie, evidence of way too much time spent in churches growing up I suppose. I also couldn’t just ignore Mary’s question either, not without appearing rude as hell anyway. I briefly wondered if Ryan had any homicidal tendencies since I would be testing them shortly.

“Uhm, well, yeah,” I stammered demonstrating a complete lack of eloquence. I took a deep breath, hoping to calm my nerves and only marginally succeeding. “We just recently started seeing each other, but I’m kind of hoping it goes somewhere,” I continued, taking a chance and praying that total honesty was the right move. “We, uh, really aren’t announcing it much though…” I trailed off.

Mary stifled a bit of laughter. “And you are wondering how I knew,” she stated rather than asked and received my affirmative nod. “I suppose I could call it female intuition or some other nonsense and baffle you even more,” she half teased. She chuckled again as I gave her a confused look.

“I saw you out the window when you pulled up,” Mary confessed. “Ryan’s hug seemed to contain a little more than just friendship. And the way he has watched you in just the few minutes you have been here spoke volumes. A mother knows,” she continued with an expressive smile. “Ryan never could keep secrets from me.”

I smiled, albeit weakly. I still had no idea how Ryan would react when he realized his secret had been blown. I had no illusions that happiness would be at the top of his list though. However, Mary’s calm, matter of fact way of discussing her son had me hopeful that some of Ryan’s biggest fears could be avoided. Mary didn’t seem at all upset to suddenly find out she had a gay son.

“If you don’t mind me saying it, you seem to be taking the news awfully calmly,” I hesitantly stated. “Finding out they have a gay child usually stuns most parents.” Not exactly tactful, but I needed to know how she would handle the revelation with Ryan. Besides, I’m rarely the soul of tact when I’m rattled. I didn’t expect ugly, not with Ryan’s previous description of his family, and Mary’s calm demeanor backed that up. But I couldn’t help feeling a little protective and I figured I would try and shield Ryan if I could. I may not be the best knight in shining armor, but protecting Ryan made me want to try.

Mary smiled gently at me with a just a hint of pain. “I’ve known about Ryan’s sexuality probably longer than Ryan,” she told me. “Don’t worry, you didn’t just reveal his big, dark secret,” she continued and I noticed her voice had a tinge of regret. She paused for a second and then chuckled. “No, you didn’t give him away,” she laughed. “He did that himself years ago.”

I immediately felt better hearing her laugh, even a bitter sweet laugh. “Well, I’m glad I didn’t forget to wipe that big ‘I heart Ryan’ sign off my forehead,” I joked making her smile again. I took a small breath and figured I might as well ask my burning question. “If you knew, why didn’t you ever tell him?” I asked, trying to figure out the dynamics of the situation. “He’s very scared of telling you,” I confessed, figuring I had already gambled this much, I might as well go for broke. “The thought of disappointing you terrifies Ryan.”

“I know,” Mary responded, her voice a little sad. “And to answer your question, I would have to plead stupidity on our part that we didn’t tell Ryan we knew,” she said rather bluntly. “The younger generation doesn’t have a total monopoly on that trait you know,” she joked, conveying the question hadn’t offended her which relieved me somewhat. “His father and I didn’t want to push Ryan to tell us before he was ready. Looking back I can see I should have forced the issue.”

Mary paused a few seconds, sipping her tea, and gave me a very direct, inquisitive look that had those pterodactyls living in my stomach flapping their wings in full force once again. I had no idea what percolated in her mind, but somehow I knew she’d have me agreeing to help with her plans. She was that kind of woman – strong willed, intelligent, and too damned persuasive. All traits I recognized in Ryan and I had no doubts he had inherited them from his mother.

“Your presence makes me think it’s time Ryan found out his family already knows his secret,” Mary finally said confirming at least part of my suspicions. “Yes,” Mary continued, nodding her head to herself. “You’ll provide the perfect opportunity to take care of that.”

Mary’s comments unnerved me and I felt my cheeks starting to heat up as I inevitably started blushing. “Me?” I spluttered at least a couple of octaves higher than my normal voice. I took a deep breath to try and get my voice to come back down out of the mouse range it had entered. “Uh, what does my being here…” I trailed off attempting to collect my thoughts. “What do you mean?” I finally asked bewildered.

“Ryan has never brought anyone he dated home to meet us,” Mary explained, giving me a brief smile. “But he brought you. Whether he realizes it or not, that says something.”

“He never brought anyone?” I gaped, my shock and near panic making me more than a little obtuse. Mary smiled at me, amusement dripping from her face, and I realized how ridiculous that question had been. How could Ryan have ever brought anyone home and still keep his secret? And then the rest of Mary’s statement hit me. Ryan might not have thought it out in exactly that way, but by bringing me along he was saying just how important I was to him. He had risked exposing his secret just because he wanted me with him.

And here I thought I had been on the edge of panic before!

“Uh, I…I don’t know what to say,” I finally managed to stutter. Oh yeah – the brilliance just leaps out of my pores when I’m startled! My thoughts were a whirlwind of activity. Yes, I had divulged to Mary that I wanted my dating Ryan to go somewhere. And I could admit to myself that I hoped it would be a long term relationship. Something real. Solid. Something to build a lifetime around. But it was a whole other story to be smacked in the face with that realization by the mother of the guy you’re dating.

“Say you’ll help me Zach,” Mary answered, smiling fondly. “Say you’ll go along with my plans to help my son.” Mary reached over and patted my hand again. “Say you’ll help me do what’s best for Ryan.”

Ouch! Mary went right for the jugular with that one. Apparently she had figured out my recent tendencies to play Ryan’s protector and decided to use them to her advantage. Not that I didn’t want to help Ryan if I could. I did, however, prefer to do it in such a way that Ryan wouldn’t want to clobber me for it. Make-up sex might be good and all, but I really thought we ought to have regular sex first. Guess I’m just a traditionalist that way.

“What exactly did you have in mind?” I managed to stammer hesitantly. “I’m not a very convincing actor. I can’t bluff or lie worth crap. And if nothing else, my blushing will give away that I’m keeping secrets and I’m nervous. Unless Ryan goes blind or something, he’s going to know I’m up to something.”

Mary laughed at my self-deprecating, but honest description of myself. “Don’t worry,” she assured me without making me feel any less nervous. “I won’t put you on the spot,” she laughed warmly, totally ignoring that she had already put me on the spot. “Honestly, I’m not exactly sure how I’m going to do this yet,” she continued after a few seconds. “I think the best way will be to just make an offhand remark that lets him figure out we know.” Mary smiled humorously for a second. “We’ll try and keep the drama to a minimum since he hates that.”

I couldn’t help laughing nervously thinking back to the conversation Ryan and I had the previous evening. I knew he would appreciate the irony of his mother’s comment. I just hoped he wouldn’t strangle me before I had the chance to tell him about it.

Fate dealt me a double edged sword and brought Ryan and his siblings home right then. It spared me further embarrassing conversation with his mother, but I didn’t have any time to wipe the nervous expression off my face. Naturally Ryan saw at once how flustered I appeared and the look of concern that swept his face would have given away his secret to even the most unobservant bystander. Fortunately only Mary and I caught his expression and the arched eyebrows she raised at me almost made me bust out laughing. She was right – Ryan couldn’t hide his secret to save his life.

“You ok?” Ryan quietly asked as he walked over to my chair. Mary had gone to hug her daughter and Adam had already disappeared into the living room to find a game on the television. We had about as much privacy as you can get and still be in the middle of a group of people. “You look a little frazzled,” Ryan continued giving my shoulder a quick squeeze. “Still nervous over meeting my family all at once?”

I smiled weakly at him and nodded agreement. I felt a twinge or two of guilt that my frayed nerves were more than just my usual shyness. Or maybe a few more than two twinges – more like a million. But in all honesty I did still feel anxious about meeting his family so I hadn’t actually told a lie. Semantics. You got to love them!

“I’ll be ok,” I told him quietly while silently ordering my guilty conscious to take a hike. “Just need a minute or two to catch my breath,” I said flashing him a feeble grin.

Ryan gave my shoulder another quick squeeze of support. “I’ll get you away from them for a few minutes,” he answered. “They won’t even miss us. Mom and Debbie will be busy jabbering about Debbie’s remodeling.” Ryan pulled me to my feet and steered me towards the hall. “I’m going to show Zach my old room,” he called over his shoulder to no one in particular. True to his prediction, no one even turned our way.

Ryan led me down the hall and up a flight of steps. “Adam and I shared a room growing up,” Ryan explained as he led me into a fairly large room with two beds. “This used to be two smaller rooms, but Dad knocked out the wall so we could have a little breathing room. Debbie’s room is at the other end and both rooms have their own bathroom. Guess Dad got tired of us always arguing over it,” Ryan finished, grinning at me.

As I walked in I immediately noticed one of the dressers had several trophies on it along with some framed pictures of a younger Ryan. I went over to inspect them closer with Ryan following me smiling proudly. “So you were a jock growing up, huh?” I teased as I started inspecting the trophies and pictures.

Ryan blushed and wrapped his arms around me, resting his chin on my shoulder. “Well,” he drawled and I could tell he was pleased and embarrassed at the same time. “Not really. Well, maybe a little. I dunno. I guess I played a few sports.”

“Cool! I always wanted to date a jock!” I teased as I picked up one of the framed pictures. It depicted Ryan wearing a wrestling singlet and he looked damned good in it. Of course I’ll concede I’m a bit prejudiced, but that suit showed a lot of skin and what it did cover left little to the imagination. “You were on the wrestling team?” I asked turning my head to look at him.

“Yeah,” Ryan answered smiling. “Cross country and soccer too,” he continued. “Kind of a weird mix I guess, but I liked them. I was pretty good at those, but only mediocre at wrestling. I only got on the team because so few tried out.”

“Are you sure it wasn’t because your coach knew how you’d look in this outfit?” I teased grinning at him and making him blush even more. “You were hot! Any chance you still got that suit?”

Ryan started laughing and his eyes twinkled. “So you like me in that huh?” he asked grinning and getting a blushing affirmative nod from me. “Damn! I knew I shouldn’t have gotten rid of it,” Ryan laughed. “I’ll make you a deal though. As soon as we get back home I’ll go online and buy one.” Ryan’s eyes sparkled and he wore that sly little grin I found absolutely impossible to resist.

“Uh huh,” I answered, narrowing my eyes suspiciously. “So what is my part of the deal?” I asked almost afraid of his answer. I recognized the signs of Ryan letting his evil mind run wild and I knew whatever he came up with would have me blushing up a storm.

“I’ll buy a singlet and wear it to your heart’s content,” Ryan replied in a low, sexy voice that captured my undivided attention. “I’ll make sure it’s something you’ll enjoy while I model for you.” Ryan paused, leering at me with a smoldering look that nearly took my breath away. “In return, I’ll buy you an outfit that you can model for me. After all, fair is fair.” Ryan waggled his eyebrows suggestively making me blush even more.

“What kind of outfit,” I asked hesitantly, my voice squeaky. I confess, the thought of modeling something, well, sleazy for Ryan intrigued and intimidated me at the same time. I’ll admit that I really liked the idea of wearing something that would turn him on. But thinking of what kind of outfit would turn him on had me blushing down to my toenails.

Ryan laughed and wrapped his arms even tighter around me, worming his hand under my shirt to rub my stomach directly. “I haven’t really decided yet,” he admitted. “But I’m sure I’ll have all kinds of fun roaming around online getting ideas. You can help me browse, but you don’t get to know what I finally get for you until it arrives. Do we have a deal?”

Ryan diabolically continued rubbing my stomach and then started nibbling at my ear in, I’m sure, an effort to distract me. I felt myself shiver slightly as little pulses of electricity tingled up and down my spine. Ryan seemed to really want this idea of his considering the effort he put into getting me to agree.

“Ahh, what the hell,” I answered after only a few seconds, shocking him with my quick acquiescence. Frankly, I shocked myself too and I really hoped I could go thru with it. “I think I’m getting the better of the deal though,” I said grinning at him. “The adult you wearing a wrestling singlet will be ten times hotter than that picture of you. Especially if I can get you, uh, feeling a bit frisky while you’re wearing it.” I blushed as Ryan started laughing.

“Around you Zachie, I will definitely feel frisky,” Ryan said to me grinning mischievously. “I sprout wood when I’m in the same room with you. Don’t worry; you’ll get your show. Those suits don’t leave anything to the imagination.”

“I noticed!” I answered grinning at him. I leaned back into him even further enjoying his embrace and gave a little sigh of contentment. Ryan took full advantage and started nibbling on my ear again making those little pulses of electricity shoot up my spine once more. I couldn’t help shivering, especially when I felt Ryan begin to worm his hand down the front of my pants. That would have been distracting enough, but then I felt his fingers begin to inch their way into my underwear and I couldn’t help sucking in my breath with a whoosh.

“Ryan!” I groaned as his fingers began to lightly trace their way over me. “What if someone catches us?” I asked, rather reluctantly I’ll admit.

“No worries,” Ryan breathed into my ear in a low voice that shot right to my groin. “The steps creak. We’ll hear anyone long before they get up here.” Taking full advantage of the situation, Ryan pushed up my shirt with his other hand to run his fingers across my stomach and chest.

I groaned again, or possibly moaned, who could tell? Ryan’s touch intoxicated me and I really didn’t want him to stop. But the fear of having one of his family members walk in on us kept me grounded, ever so tenuously, on the reality of the situation. “You better ease up there Caveman,” I breathed with more than a little regret. “Too much more of this and we’re going to have to think up excuses why I have a big wet spot on the front of my pants.”

“I’m sure we could think up some excuse,” Ryan answered with a throaty chuckle that did nothing to calm my libido. “But I guess you’re right,” Ryan agreed, his voice betraying his reluctance. Ryan gave my shaft one final, lingering stroke before pulling his fingers out of my pants and I fought to stop myself from asking him to put them right back. “I’ll try and be good,” Ryan said, nuzzling at my cheek again before letting me go and walking over to his bed.

As Ryan took a seat I noticed he winced slightly and held his hand over his stomach. “You ok?” I asked walking over and sitting down next to him. “Did you pull a muscle moving that couch?” I’m sure the expression on my face would have given any over protective mother a run for her money.

“Just a little stomach ache,” Ryan said giving me his usual grin. “Calm down mama grizzly,” he teased making me want to swat his nose for him. Ryan must have sensed my impending growl because he leaned over and gave me a quick, reassuring kiss. “I probably ate too much pizza last night. My stomach has been grumbling a little ever since.” Ryan paused and his face took on a rather sheepish expression. “And maybe I’m a little nervous being here too,” he admitted in a subdued voice that had me wanting to wrap my arm around him.

I had a real dilemma. On the one hand, I really wanted to let Ryan know his family already knew so he could stop worrying. But another big part of me knew it could be a disaster if I stuck my nose in before Ryan really felt ready. Of course I also worried that he would feel betrayed if he knew his mother and I had already discussed it. And that had me in a no win situation since Ryan might also feel betrayed if I didn’t tell him his mother and I had already chatted up the subject. I knew Mary hadn’t intended to put me in this situation, but I couldn’t help feeling very frustrated that she had unwitting placed me smack in the middle.

I scooted a little behind Ryan so I could rub his shoulders. I’m not really sure how I thought that would help his stomach knots, but I figured it might help him relax at least a little. “Do you want to talk about it?” I asked trying to figure out how I could best defuse the situation. “I know I only just met your family, but they don’t seem to be the type of people to have a problem with you being gay.” I said rather tentatively. “I think they will love you unconditionally, no matter what.”

“Oh I know,” Ryan answered giving me a little grin of appreciation. I felt pretty sure that grin pulled double duty – he appreciated the pep talk, but he really seemed to be enjoying the shoulder rub. “I know they’ll love me no matter what. It will probably take them off guard when I tell them, but after the initial shock they’ll be fine.” Ryan paused and turned to face me sighing. “Deb will just call me a jerk and razz me about not letting her have the fun of going guy watching together. Adam will call me a dick, punch my shoulder or give me a noogie and then want to go out for a beer. And mom will just start trying to plan a big gay wedding or something. They’ll be fine.”

Ryan sighed again and gave me a sad look. “But underneath it all it’s going to hurt their feelings that I didn’t tell them sooner. They’ll never say a word about it, but I’m going to hurt them by making them think I didn’t trust them.”

That sad, puppy dog look he wore as he finished speaking wrenched at my heart and I wrapped my arms around him holding him tight. I hated that Ryan hurt and I had no idea what to do. I cursed my ineptness with handling relationships. Somehow I just had to make him feel better.

“Ryan,” I started tentatively. “I doubt they will be as hurt as you think. They might be surprised initially, but after they think about it your family will understand why you delayed telling them. As much as they love you, I just don’t think it will even cross their minds that you didn’t trust them. They’ll know that just isn’t true.”

Ryan seemed to appreciate my lame reassurance, but I could tell he didn’t really believe it. The frustration of wanting to help him and not knowing how had me wanting to howl at the moon. I know Ryan picked up on what I felt because he leaned in and gave me a quick kiss. Apparently he had figured out those kisses of his could mollify this old bear even when I’m at my grumpiest.

“Talk about your gloomy subjects,” Ryan joked, deciding to change topics. “Let’s go back to you admiring my high school pics,” he teased making me grin in spite of myself. “Grab that yearbook and I’ll tell you stories about my old friends to amuse you,” he finished, pointing toward his book strewn desk.

I couldn’t help laughing as I obliged his suggestion and we quickly got absorbed reliving some of his glory days. As usual, I got lost listening to Ryan’s voice and it surprised me when Adam poked his head into the room to call us to dinner. Without even realizing it, Ryan and I had spent over an hour and a half in his room talking about his younger days.

As we headed towards the waiting meal I once again felt those familiar twinges of nerves beginning to stir in the pit of my stomach. I firmly told myself those grumblings were from hunger and I even came to half believe it. The wonderful aromas drifting thru the air might have played a major role in that, but I’ll take a win any way I can get it.

“Just take a seat anywhere,” Mary told me as I entered the dining room. “I hope you like pot roast,” she continued placing a couple of dishes on the table. “I’m afraid I didn’t have time to make anything fancy so I cheated. A roast will cook itself in a crock pot and I get to take all the credit.”

“It smells delicious,” I answered smiling. Once again Mary’s easy going manner charmed away the lingering traces of my anxiety. It felt very easy to just relax and enjoy a good meal with Ryan’s family.

“I’m Debbie, by the way,” Ryan’s sister introduced herself as I continued my meal. “Ryan’s younger, and much more polite and intelligent sister,” she continued smirking at Ryan. “Of course that describes my relationship with Adam too.”

“Did we really have to let her come over too?” Adam jokingly complained to his mother. “Ignore her Zach,” Adam said to me in a false, conspiratorial voice. “The paint fumes must have made her delusional. Just smile and nod your head at the crazy woman.”

Debbie reached over and playfully smacked the back of Adam’s head in retaliation. “Speaking of paint fumes,” she said, looking at her mother. “Do you mind if I sleep here tonight mom? I only just finished painting the bedroom when these goons showed up and it’s going to take a while for the house to vent.”

“Oh that would be lovely dear,” Mary replied warmly. “Having all of you here tonight will almost be like old times.” Mary paused and looked thoughtful for a second. “We’ll need to re-arrange the sleeping arrangements though. I had planned on letting Ryan and his boyfriend use your room. I knew I shouldn’t have converted that spare bedroom.”

“Wh…Wh…,” Ryan spluttered catching his mother’s comment. His face had gone pale and I noticed a lot of white showed around his eyes. Irrationally I wondered if I got that same look when I got taken off guard. I found myself holding my breath wondering how the rest of this would play out.

“I suppose I could take the couch to give you guys some privacy,” Adam offered, barely pausing his eating. His casual comment made it plain that Ryan’s sexuality wasn’t news to him either. “You’re going to owe me big time though,” he said with a grin. “That couch sucks!”

“Pri…pri…privacy?” Ryan stuttered looking totally bewildered. One look at his face showed he clearly hadn’t kept up with the conversation at all. “What?” he finally managed to say looking blankly all around.

“Oh honey,” Mary pretended misunderstanding and patted Ryan’s hand fondly. “It’s sweet of you to try and shield your old mother, but I’m under no illusions that when my children date someone they do sleep with their partners. I’m not that naïve you know. Your father and I didn’t find all of you along the roadside.”

“Mom!” Debbie protested. “Please don’t make us think of you and dad having sex! We are trying to eat!” Debbie teased making her mother laugh. “So how long have you and Zach been dating? And how did you meet? Was it romantic?”

“Oh gag!” Adam laughingly protested. “Who wants to think about Ryan being romantic?” Adam continued teasing. “Zach, I don’t know how you bring yourself to kiss that ugly mug,” Adam said grinning at me.

I couldn’t help chuckling at their banter. And the feeling of relief washing over me had me feeling like I could float on air. The only thing spoiling the moment was Ryan’s continued look of confusion. I could tell it would take a while for him to catch up – the man’s brain could only process so many shocks at once after all. To give Ryan some time to process, I launched into an abbreviated version of the story of how we met in answer to Debbie’s question. I left out a few parts, like being in my underwear the first time we met, but I still managed to convey most of what happened to them.

“What a bitch!” Debbie laughed as I finished the story with Amy and John herding Janet out of the ER. “So if Ryan had to stitch up the cut on your leg does that mean he got to see you without your pants on?” Debbie asked arching her eyes. Adam busted out laughing at Debbie’s question and I felt my entire face heat up. Even Mary’s eyes were twinkling with mirth and I felt like crawling under the table.

“Best part of my whole day,” Ryan answered grinning, demonstrating he had finally managed to pull himself together. A wave of relief washed over me once again even though his comment didn’t exactly come to my rescue. From the twinkling in his eyes and the mischievous smile he directed my way I knew he would have me blushing for a while. “Getting to see Zach in just his underwear that night may have been the highlight of my whole career,” Ryan finished, waggling his eyebrows at me suggestively and grinning at the rest of his family.

The look Mary gave Ryan was truly priceless. She had arched one eyebrow, cocked her head slightly, and her lips were pursed in silent amusement. Ryan endured all of two seconds of her staring at him knowingly before turning bright red. He had started to fidget when Mary finally broke her silence. “About damn time,” she muttered quiet enough that I barely heard her, and if anything, Ryan turned even brighter red as he finally realized his family had known all along. I almost busted out laughing when he ducked his head like an abashed school boy caught cheating on his homework.

“Ahh mom,” Ryan muttered in a complaining, scolded little boy voice. After a few seconds he peeked up and flashed his mother his best innocent boy grin. “Thanks,” Ryan said to his mother. “I love you,” he finished, his eyes watery.

Mary reached over and patted Ryan’s hands, and then abruptly changed the subject. “So what kind of work do you do Zach,” she asked me in attempt to let Ryan off the hook. I gulped a little as I realized I occupied the hot seat now. I fielded the family third degree fairly well, considering I managed to answer their questions without running and hiding. Truthfully, they kept their interrogation fairly tame and I recognized they were only grilling me to get to know me better. In the process I managed to pick up a few more facts about them, and much more important to me, a few more stories about Ryan growing up. Nothing like family to remember, and share, all those little embarrassing things you’d really rather forget!

The evening passed fairly quickly, and in spite of the grilling and my occasional bout of nerves, I enjoyed getting to know some of the most important people in Ryan’s life. Time spent with them reminded me of time I had spent with Alex’s family. I’m sure most people don’t even think twice about it, but it still seems so unusual to me to have family members actually enjoy spending time together. Just as I had with Alex’s family, I felt Ryan’s family extend that inclusive, you are one of us now, welcoming net around me. Frankly, considering my past, it felt strange and I knew I’d need to make some mental adjustments.

Sometime around eleven or so, Mary excused herself, wished us a good night and promised a big breakfast in the morning. Ryan and his siblings also showed signs of tiredness and I knew I felt exhausted so it came as no surprise that the rest of us decided to also call it a night. As we trooped up the stairs I couldn’t help thinking we sounded like the entire Brady Bunch running up the steps in tandem like in so many episodes. The only thing missing were the trilling notes of a piano in the background.

At the top of the steps, Debbie said her goodnight’s and disappeared into her room. Adam followed Ryan and I into their old room and started gathering up a handful of bedding. “Just give me a second guys and I’ll be out of your hair,” he said giving his brother a smirking grin.

“You don’t have to do that,” I said after only the briefest glance at Ryan. “It’s really nice of you to offer though. You sleeping up here won’t, uh, interfere with anything we…,” I trailed off turning red.

Ryan came to my rescue, wrapping his arms around me and resting his chin on my shoulder, grinning like a loon. “What Zach is trying to say is we haven’t actually slept together yet. We’re taking it slow, although truthfully we’ve only been seeing each other for a couple of weeks so I guess it’s not all that slow. But still, we want to take our time and do this right.”

“I bet it’s slow enough that you have a serious case of blue balls little brother,” Adam teased, smirking at us. “But that is really cool. I wish I had had that kind of restraint with my ex. Maybe she wouldn’t have had the chance to become an ex if I had gotten to know her. You guys sure you don’t mind me cramping your style?”

“If you can put up with Ryan’s snoring you’re welcome to stay as far as I’m concerned,” I teased getting a tap to the back of my head from my oh so innocent victim.

“I don’t snore!” Ryan protested, giving me a mock glare and earning guffaws of laughter from Adam. “Dibs on using the bathroom first!” Ryan continued, barely taking a breath and dashing towards the door. “Zach can join me, but you have to wait slow poke,” Ryan told Adam with a triumphant grin.

Laughing, I joined Ryan in the bathroom to brush our teeth before going to bed. In spite of calling dibs, Ryan let me go first, mainly so he could rest his chin on my shoulder and nibble at my ear. Even with all the distractions, I managed to finish without spitting toothpaste all over the mirror, no mean feat since Ryan’s antics were making me laugh. The prospect of returning Ryan’s favor tempted me mightily, but I decided to merely stand behind him with my arms wrapped around his stomach. He accused me of tickling his tummy, but I’ll plead the fifth. Besides, it was his fault for taking his shirt off while waiting for me and offering such a tempting target.

After Ryan finished with his teeth, he paused for a few moments and stood looking at our reflection in the mirror. “Thank you,” Ryan said quietly while staring at my eyes in the reflection. “I don’t think I could have made it thru tonight without knowing you were by my side Zachie.” Ryan’s voice had a little catch at the end and his eyes were starting to look watery.

I could tell Ryan’s emotions were starting to get the better of him and I also knew how much he hated that. I knew he’d be embarrassed to death if he actually started crying so I figured I would try and lighten the tone a little. “Ahh, Caveman,” I drawled, knowing my pet name for him would make him smile. “I wouldn’t have missed being there for you for the world,” I finished, giving him a little squeeze around the midsection.

Ryan grinned at my calling him Caveman but then winced slightly after my squeeze to his stomach. “Is your stomach still bothering you,” I asked with a concerned frown. “I noticed you mostly just played with your food tonight. Are you getting sick?”

Ryan turned and gave me a quick kiss. “The bottomless pit is still grumbling a bit,” he confessed with a sheepish grin. “It will be ok, just nerves,” he said dismissing the whole thing. “I’ll make up for the lack of eating at breakfast. Mom’s big breakfasts are huge! We better get out of here though. Adam’s liable to knock down the door and kick our asses if we take too much longer.”

“My Caveman will protect me won’t he?” I said fluttering my eyelashes at him and making him laugh. I hadn’t completely abandoned my mother hen tendencies about Ryan’s stomach ache, but I let his answers mollify me for the moment. I decided if his stomach still hurt in the morning I really would lay an egg though.

“About time!” Adam groused playfully as we exited. “I started to wonder if you guys hadn’t decided to throw that whole ‘take it slow’ thing out the window.” I began blushing furiously at his comment and Adam gave us a shit eating grin as he made his way into the bathroom.

I paused and watched as Ryan finished undressing and got into bed. The man amazed me with how fast he could strip. Granted he had already taken off his shirt, but he couldn’t have taken much more than five seconds to pull off his pants, underwear and socks. If I had tried that I would have somehow managed to fall on my face and probably have broken my nose. Have I mentioned I’m not very graceful?

I will admit to a little surprise that Ryan decided to sleep nude with his brother in the room and I guess some of that surprise registered on my face. “No big deal,” Ryan muttered yawning to my unspoken question. “I’ve slept naked since I was a teenager. Adam sleeps the same way.”

“I’m the same way how?” Adam asked coming back into the bedroom only mildly curious. “If he is telling you I snore, he lies. He’s the one that snores like a freight train,” Adam continued, taunting his brother. “I used to have to sleep with headphones on to drown out all the noise he’d make,” Adam finished, smirking at Ryan.

I shook my head, laughing at their continuous playful bickering. Deep down I felt a little jealous of the relationship they shared. The bonds between the two, between all the members of this family, ran very deep.

As I prepared to remove my shirt I caught Ryan giving me his best, begging puppy dog eyes. “Zachie?” he asked with just a note of pleading in his voice. “Will you do me a favor?”

“Of course,” I answered without hesitation. I figured he wanted a drink or something and didn’t feel like getting dressed to go get it. Ryan wouldn’t give it a second thought to just walk around naked at either of our houses, but I figured in his mother’s house he might have a smidgeon of modesty. My being still dressed gave him a lazy way out. At least so I thought till I caught the twinkle in his eyes.

“Sleep naked tonight,” he asked, smiling big enough to show off his dimples. “Please! You said you’d do me a favor.”

“Ryan!” I protested, feeling my face heat up. “I’m not sleeping naked with your brother in the room!” One of these days I really needed to learn to watch what I agreed to around him. Somehow his innocent seeming little requests always meant big trouble for me.

“Not going to bother me,” Adam interjected making me look up. One quick glance and I felt my blush double down. Apparently the ability to strip in a flash ran in the family since Adam had already taken off his clothes and I got to witness full frontal as he got into bed seeming unconcerned.

“See,” Ryan wheedled. “Adam doesn’t care. And I’ll be good, I promise. I just want to be able to feel your skin next to mine while we sleep. Please.”

I stared at Ryan for a few minutes, feeling my blush getting even hotter. Those puppy dog eyes of his were lethal. The man didn’t play fair at all.

“Oh fuck, what the hell,” I muttered as I pulled off my shirt, hearing both of them chuckle. “I don’t know how you manage to talk me into this shit,” I growled as I pulled off my pants. I paused and gave him a warning look. “You better make sure your wandering hands remain tame tonight. I don’t want to have to explain the big wet spot on your sheets to your mom,” I finished as I pulled off my underwear and practically dove under the blankets next to him. Hearing Adam’s open laughter only made me blush that much harder.

Ryan wrapped his arms around me and immediately started rubbing my stomach in a soothing manner. “I promise, I’ll be good,” he murmured into my ear. Ryan continued to trace little circles around my belly, doing his level best to pacify the growly bear he had coaxed into his bed. Bastard knew all my buttons now! And true to his word, he did keep his hand north of the equator which, honestly, frustrated me a little.

I relaxed into his arms, debating with myself a topic that kind of shocked me. But I decided he had taken me off guard enough times, I could return the favor. Besides, Adam had turned off the lights already so no one would be able to see me blush and ruin the effect.

I rolled slightly in Ryan’s arms and gave him a quick kiss as I put my hand over the one he had rubbing my stomach. “We agreed you had to be good,” I murmured to him. “No one said you had to be a saint,” I finished, pushing his hand down below my waist. I took full advantage of his mouth opening in astonishment and gave him a much more lingering kiss.

In spite of everything you have heard, I do occasionally take the initiative…

Several hours later I had fallen into a light doze. I never really sleep all that well in a bed other than my own, but over the years I had learned how to function with minimal sleep. I felt Ryan stir next to me and he surprised me by beginning to fumble his way out of bed. He hadn’t taken two steps toward the bathroom when he suddenly doubled over, clutching at his stomach and dropping to his knees.

“Ryan!” I shouted, finding myself instantly by his side and wrapping my arms around him to support his body. “What’s wrong?” I could see sweat glistening on his forehead and even the briefest of touches told me he had to be running a low fever.

Ryan looked me in the eye, his face a mask of agony. “Zachie,” Ryan moaned in obvious pain. “I think… I think I need to go to the hospital.”

With that one simple sentence I felt the edges of my world beginning to unravel.

Copyright © 2014 Greg_A; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 04/20/2014 04:35 PM, Caz Pedroso said:
Really love this story. Can't wait to hear what happens.
Thanks so much for reading and letting me know you enjoyed it - that really means a lot to me!
Link to comment
On 04/20/2014 08:14 PM, Slytherin said:
Love this story, Greg. Great chapter - besides the doc being sick of course (appendicitis ? ;) )

 

:hug:

Thanks LBO! Glad you are enjoying it. Always makes me smile hearing from you!

 

And you'll just have to wait to see what is up with Caveman! You are a cute little blue ball of fuzz, but I'm keeping my secrets!!!

 

Thanks again LBO

Link to comment
On 04/21/2014 10:09 AM, flamingo136 said:
EXCELLENT................NEED MORE...................Mike
Thanks Mike! I'm glad you have continued to enjoy my story. It means a lot to me to hear from the readers what they think so I really appreciate you always leaving me a word or two.

 

Thanks again!!

Link to comment

I just love this story and it´s so great to have another chapter. Ryan´s family seems very nice and the scene with with Zach and Mary at the beginning was really wonderful. I do hope it´s nothing serious with Ryan.

Link to comment
On 04/21/2014 02:39 PM, Suvitar said:
I just love this story and it´s so great to have another chapter. Ryan´s family seems very nice and the scene with with Zach and Mary at the beginning was really wonderful. I do hope it´s nothing serious with Ryan.
Thanks so much! I'm glad you have continued to enjoy my story. I always love hearing from the readers and what they think so I really appreciate all your comments!

 

Ryan's family is fun to write. I get to let my sarcastic sense of humor out with them!

 

And sorry - you'll have to wait to find out about Ryan. I'm giving no clues! (suppress evil laugh!)

 

Thanks again!

Link to comment
On 11/20/2014 01:59 PM, Blondie40 said:
When can we expect a new chapter!!!! I love the story so far and can't wait to read more.
Thanks so much for reading and commenting - I really appreciate hearing from everyone! It means a lot to me and I'm glad you have enjoyed the story so far.

 

I have to apologize to both you and everyone else on the long delay in getting a new chapter out. Life interrupted - which was annoying - and now I've got to get the story back in my head to start writing on it again. I do intend to add at least a couple more chapters - I can't just leave Ryan curled up on the ground! And I definitely can't just leave Zach standing around naked! He'd blush way too much!

 

Thanks again!

Link to comment

Have just discovered your writing as a result of the Secret Santa competition. This is a lovely story, and I'll add my voice to the chorus hoping it will have more chapters soon.

Link to comment
On 12/28/2015 04:26 AM, apjordan said:

Have just discovered your writing as a result of the Secret Santa competition. This is a lovely story, and I'll add my voice to the chorus hoping it will have more chapters soon.

Whoops - I'm so sorry I missed you adding this review! Thank you so much for reading my story and for your kind words. I'm really happy that you have enjoyed the story so far. One of these days I'll get back to writing on it again - I promise!!!

 

Thanks again!

Link to comment

acckkkk i binged this story today and now the cliff hanger. please, i want to know  what happens to caveman!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..