Jump to content
    Grunge_Ken
  • Author
  • 1,567 Words
  • 885 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life behind Hazel Eyes - 15. Secret Rooms

Mikhail spends the night with Marvin.

I was driving Marvin back from the hospital. It turned out that the vomiting wasn’t just going to happen that once. I had called a cab to fetch me when Marvin got up to go and vomit again, in the thirty minutes it took the cab to get to his place; he had run to the bathroom at least five times. I went to pay the cab driver for coming out so far and went back inside to take care of Marvin. I called an ambulance – because I was sure as hell that he’d hate me for allowing him to vomit all over his car. While waiting for the ambulance to arrive I kept trying to get him hydrated, and those attempts turned into battles. Finally the ambulance had arrived, he got in and I drove in his car behind the ambulance. I didn’t know what was wrong with him, but it scared me that he’d get sick after going to my dad’s restaurant; someone was going to be in trouble if this turned out to be food poisoning. My thoughts went haywire until I arrived at the hospital and walked over to the casualty ward. I had to lie and say he was my brother in order for me to get close to him. The doctor that was doing the rounds at that time seemed to be friendly enough.

“Your brother may have an enflamed stomach lining. It’s nothing major, it just gets ugly when he eats or drinks something that doesn’t agree with his stomach.” The DR had said this while pulling Marvin’s T-shirt down. I didn’t know why he was talking to me, because Marvin was awake; he just looked out of it, that was all.

“Do you know whether he has allergies or anything that causes his stomach to get uneasy? Anything, no matter how small, would help us identify the cause of the vomiting and nausea?”

I shook my head; I didn’t know the guy that well.

“Nutmeg, rosemary and shellfish,” Marvin let out in a voice that was barely above a whisper. I was quick to look over at him, but as I was going to say something, the doctor jumped in.

“You didn’t come in contact with any of those did you?” The doctor was talking to Marvin for the first time now. I guess only the paramedics had gotten the details from Marv and given them to the doctor.

“Yes, there were mussels in the main course we had.” Shit. I should have asked him this kind of shit before I asked him out for dinner. I put my face in my hands in disappointment.

“That’s good to know. I’ll just go get some medication for you, and I’ll be back,” the doctor said as he headed out.

I looked over at Marvin, who didn’t seem mad, but I definitely was. I was pissed with myself for being so inconsiderate that I didn’t ask him if he were allergic to anything. How fucken stupid of me?

“I’m sorry Marv,” I said sincerely as I sat beside him.

“It’s okay. We both should’ve been careful.” He stretched his hand out to rub my shoulder. Why was he consoling me? He was the one in a hospital bed.

“Well, next time I'll know to ask before ordering,” I said.

“Next time? I am never going to trust you with my life again,” he said, letting out a small chuckle. The atmosphere was light again, and I could finally relax. The whole Marvin being in hospital thing had me shaken. “You think I’m going to be here all night?” he asked.

“We. And no, I don’t think we will. If it were serious you would’ve been moved to a different ward.” I think he shot me a confused gaze when I corrected him and said we. I hope he didn’t think I was going to leave him alone after I had gotten him sick.

“Okay, so we are going to give you three injections and some medication to be taken for the next three to four days,” the doctor said as he made his way closer to Marvin. I looked at the doctor and nodded; maybe I was gawking at him, and I’m not sure which it was, but he was beautiful.

“I’ll leave you to get your injections while I go get us some coffee,” I said as I got up from my seat.

“No caffeine for him until the four day period is up. No alcohol either. We're trying to make sure his stomach lining returns back to normal without needing him back here. Speak to the receptionist about a medical certificate and getting him to see the radiologist.” The doctor was talking to me as if I were in command of Marvin’s daily routine. I guess brothers are like that. I nodded and made my way out. First, to the receptionist: she talked my ear off about what my ‘brother’ was allowed to eat, drink and what he wasn’t. She then went on and on and on about what was best at the chemist for Marvin to take. After her conversation with me, I headed over to the cafeteria and got two 2-litre bottles for Marvin, a fruit basket, a get-well card, chocolate for myself and the cup of coffee I needed. I had ignored the receptionist’s advice on medication to get for Marv. I walked to where I had parked Marvin’s car and put everything except for the coffee in the back seat. The stroll to the room that had secured Marv was fast because I had begun to get sleepy and I hated driving in such a state.

“You took your time,” Marv said as he was getting off the bed.

“You all set to go?” I asked, after rolling my eyes at his comment.

“I would run to the car if I could, but I need you to wheel me out.”

I quirked an eyebrow because I didn’t understand what he meant by ‘wheel me out’.

“I need assistance with walking; the pain in my stomach gets too intense when I stand up straight. That the doctor says should be gone by the morning.” Marvin sounded a smidge irritated, or maybe it was me imagining it. I managed to get him a wheelchair, and we rode to the car where he noticed the fruit basket.

“You shouldn’t have gotten me a fruit basket, you know.”

“Well, from what the receptionist told me, some fruit might be great for you. Just not citrus,” I said, pulling out of the parking lot. “Besides, it’s the least I can do after my assassination attempt.” We laughed and carried on in silence for a minute or two until he reached over to play music.

“I like this song,” he said merrily. It was a Lauryn Hill song, Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You. I started humming along.

“It’s a good song,” I said as I turned the volume up a bit.

“Sing for me?” he asked in a low voice. “That’s if you're really sorry for trying to kill me.” He let out a laugh to show he was joking.

“Song is over now,” I said in an arrogant manner. The smug look on my face disappeared when he repeated the song. I laughed and sang along for him. We drove to his place without much talk, just singing, and laughter when he sang too. Once I got him in his room and set the fruit basket aside, I walked over to him.

“I’m going to call the cab soon, I just want to make sure that you’ll be okay alone,” I said. I was getting sleepy, and I got cranky when I was overly tired.

“I’ll take you home, no need for cabs,” he replied, lifting the covers for his blanket.

“No, you can’t. You need to rest. Besides, your pain will only be subdued tomorrow.”

“Subdued? Who the fuck speaks like that?” he asked, shaking his head and walking past me. “Besides, I didn’t say I’d take you home now. I’ll drive you home tomorrow. Now get to bed.” I looked around confused; I wanted to object, but I was tired. I had only gotten to sleep at 03:00 in the morning and woken up earlier than I wanted to. I nodded and walked over to what I assumed was the guest room; I was about to open it when Marvin nearly bit my head off.

“NO! Don’t go in there!” he said in a near shout.

“Huh?” I asked confused. “You said I should get some sleep.”

“Yeah, but that’s my… Let’s just say no one is allowed in there. I usually lock it when people are going to be around,” he said, shaking his head and gesturing me to come to him. We walked over to another room and he opened that door for me.

“I’m sorry for shouting, but I don’t want people in that room. Good night, Princess.” He said and walked out before I could even say good night. I started to wander what was in that room. Why hide it?

I was going to think even more about it, but I fell asleep so fast. I had forgotten to call my parents and tell them I’d be back in the morning. I was applying for an ass whooping.

Thank you for reading :) Thank you AC Benus for all your help :)
Peace, Love, Prosperity and Freedom.
Copyright © 2015 Grunge_Ken; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Poor Marv! But then again, he's such a typical dude. He was so eager to please and entice Mikhail to a new romantic paradigm that he totally forgot he can't eat mussels. Believable..? HELL YEAH, with guys, yes! They'll forget their own names if they're in 'attraction mode,' lol. I loved that aspect, but still felt bad he was so sick.

 

So, is Mikhail growing fonder of Marv..? That, inquiring minds want to know. I do hope you have the next chapter already underway ;)

Link to comment
On 07/05/2015 09:26 AM, AC Benus said:

Poor Marv! But then again, he's such a typical dude. He was so eager to please and entice Mikhail to a new romantic paradigm that he totally forgot he can't eat mussels. Believable..? HELL YEAH, with guys, yes! They'll forget their own names if they're in 'attraction mode,' lol. I loved that aspect, but still felt bad he was so sick.

 

So, is Mikhail growing fonder of Marv..? That, inquiring minds want to know. I do hope you have the next chapter already underway ;)

Mikhail into Marv? I can't say without spoiling things and I'm not ready to give up the ending. Not yet anyway. The next chapter is giving me sleepless nights, I keep deleting and adding, and deleting and adding. But it should be out before next Saturday :)

 

Sometimes people bond during a rough patch. Let's hope that this brought Marv and Mikhail closer together.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..