Jump to content
    Hamen Cheese
  • Author
  • 3,524 Words
  • 13,525 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Charlie - 2. Ch 02: Charlie's Interest in Art

CHAPTER 2: Charlie’s Interest in Art

So where was I? Let’s see. I’ve discussed how Charlie and I met, how I rescued Charlie from the big bad man… err, boy… how Charlie was like as we grew up, how perfect I was, how Charlie moved in next door, how Charlie had a wet dream about me… Wait, I haven’t covered that, have I? Of course, I haven’t. I’d know if I did because I remember everything.

That incident actually happened much, much later but I’ll pick up from where I left off so that it’s clear. If I remember correctly which I’m sure I do, Charlie and I had the most amazing Christmas together that time he moved in next door. We were virtually inseparable during the Christmas break and the only time they managed to pry us apart was when either of us had to take a bath. Taking a bath together would just be icky.

Anyway, we would have these sleepovers every night. We would take turns staying at each other’s houses. It wasn’t a problem really for our parents since we were neighbors. Our mom’s could just shout across the fence if they wanted either of us to come home. And even if they did that, the two of us would move together to the other house. You’d almost think we were twins if I wasn’t so much sexier than Charlie.

If you’re now wondering why I’m telling you all this, it’s because you need to understand where we came from and what happened to us. That’s the only way you’ll rightfully know why the events in that alley actually happened. That is after all why I am now gracing youof all people with my presence.

One of the things you need to know is that Charlie was very shy. If you saw him before with me, it might not seem that way because he just talks and talks and talks. However, he was only like that with me. When there were other people around other than our own moms, he went all quiet and shy. He was like that even around my dad, though I suppose he had good reason to. It was even worse around strangers. Sometimes his mom had to ask me to ask him a question a stranger asked. I mean come on!

The thing with shy people is they tend to keep to themselves. More importantly, they tend to keep their thoughts to themselves… especially their deepest, darkest secrets.

I learned to live with Charlie’s little quirks, whatever they were. Okay fine, he was not athletic, confident, and well-balanced like me but hey, it wasn’t like we were getting married. I didn’t need to find matching qualities between us that would make us the perfect match.

And yet somehow I knew we were just that – the perfect match. We were two boys that despite every noticeable difference were destined to be best friends. We were like two sides of a coin except my side was the one always up and exposed to the world while Charlie was the side always facing down. I don’t think Charlie would have had any friends if it wasn’t for me. No matter what happened though, we were part of the same coin and wouldn’t be the same without the other.

Come to think of it, for the longest time, the two of us had the same set of friends. By same set, I mean my friends became Charlie’s friends. When we both entered Middle School the year after Charlie moved in, it was clear to everyone that I was the most popular kid in school. I mean come on, how many Middle School students can boast a tight toned body with six pack abs or bulging biceps? And, I got all that without effort. Okay fine, maybe I spent a few hours playing basketball a day and maybe a few hours a week in the gym but those things don’t lead to a hot and sexy body. No matter what all these health gurus and scientists say, it’s simply in the genes! You’re either hot or you’re not.

Charlie was not. Okay, maybe he was slim and probably had a very good body fat percentage. Also, his hair almost always found a way to mess itself up and yet look on purpose at the same time. Girls later on in high school would find this bed head look simply adorable. Personally though, I thought he could use a little wax.

He also tended to sit in the sidelines. While I would dominate every court or field of every sport I played, he would sit in the sidelines every game with the other five percent of the school who couldn’t dribble a ball to save their lives. In Middle School, I was part of the basketball varsity team. Charlie was… well, cheering varsity I suppose. I guess you could say he was a professional spectator.

He liked to do that – watch, I mean. He especially liked to watch people. I noticed it after a few weeks in middle school probably because I was so used to being watched and adored that I knew that look he always had on his face.

“Who are you looking at?” I asked one time we were eating in the cafeteria.

Charlie jumped as though he was caught doing the nasty. “What? No one, Hero. I was just… thinking.”

Luke, who was seated across from us, started paying attention. He, like the rest of the boys on our long table, belonged to the basketball varsity team of Southmore Middle School. Girls from the pep squad were scattered here and there between the boys. There were many sports in Southmore but basketball was THE sport of Southmore. As a cardinal rule, all pep squad girls flirt with basketball players. Charlie was the only one on our table not affiliated with any sport or even anything physical.

“You’ve been looking over at that table for quite a bit, Big C,” I said as I looked in the same direction he was looking. “See someone you like?” Luke looked towards the same table.

“I haven’t been looking at anyone,” Charlie said softly.

“Those are the art freaks,” Luke said without reservations. Indeed they were, even in a school like Southmore where everyone (okay, nearly everyone) was involved in at least one major sport, there were still niches and little groups with varying interests. That particular table was where the art enthusiasts congregated. At the moment, there were only five of them there. “They’re mostly from the badminton and volleyball teams. To end up there, you’re either a girl or a fag.”

Charlie looked down at his lap and said softly, “I wasn’t looking at them.”

Luke looked over at Charlie with a sneer that said he obviously knew something. I didn’t like that sneer.

“I think Rebecca’s pretty hot,” I said as I looked over at the table of the art freaks, err, art people. Rebecca Hastings was this gorgeous brunette with wavy hair that reached her shoulders. She had perfect skin and the most amazingly developed breasts on any girl (at least in Middle School). She was also the Captain of the Badminton Varsity which is quite a feat considering there were other students senior to her on the team. Then again, I was the basketball captain, the year after I stepped into middle school so it’s not that big a feat. I suppose it was for her.

“Hey!” the girl attached to my arm said. Her name was Melissa Albright. “I thought I was the only girl you had eyes for?”

I turned to her with one of my perfect smiles. “You know you’re the only girl in my life for now.”

“Aww, that is so sweet,” she said as she once again cuddled into my arm and returned to talking about the latest make-up trends with her friend. I swear I could charm my way out of anything. Charlie was eyeing her as though he couldn’t believe she fell for that. “It’s not her, it’s me,” I said. “I’m just irresistible.”

Charlie shook his head in mock disgust. I was pretty sure he was used to me by then. I mean if you basked in my perfection for the last decade or so, you’re bound to become agreeable right?

“So who were you looking at?” Luke asked as his attention focused on Charlie.

Charlie looked down shyly. “I wasn’t looking,” he said barely above a whisper.

Luke looked over at me and raised an eyebrow. It was clear to me for some time that not all my friends liked Charlie. It has been especially clear that Luke had somethingagainst Charlie. He was however another star basketball player (though nowhere close to my level) so I have to put up with him. As my mom always said, “never close down connections you can keep. Be perfectly amiable. It’s the key to success in our world.” That was easy for me. It was practically coded into my genes. I was just simply likable in every possible way.

“So Luke,” I said. “I hear you went out with Sophie.”

Every head on the table basically turned to our direction. That happened a lot. Whatever I was interested in, everyone became interested in… except if I was talking about Charlie.

Luke squirmed uncomfortably in his seat. Sophie was in our grade but wasn’t exactly the most popular girl around. She belonged more to the same category as Charlie – unbelievably smart but clueless about anything physical. Her teeth were also somewhat crooked and she didn’t show the slightest sign of having any breasts yet. “Yeah, so?” he said with a somewhat defensive tone.

“You went out with Ms. Softy?” Brian asked. He was another basketball star (but also nowhere close to my level). Ms. Softy was actually a running joke with Sophie. There was (and still is) this ice cream store near our school called Mr. Softy that has the most obese looking ice cream mascot in the world. I was surprised people even bought from that place considering the Mr. Softy mascot that was just oozing with fat. Sophie wasn’t fat really. She had maybe twenty-five percent body fat percentage which was just average for a girl. However, if you were in a school of athletes, average makes you fat. Compared to me, average makes you lard.

“Look, my mom made me do it okay,” Luke said in a shouted whisper. It was actually through his mom that I found out. Well, technically I found out through his mom’s hairstylist that likes to ask her customers all sorts of what’s-up-with-you-now questions as she snips away at your hair. It was sort of like taking away a bit of your life with each strand. His mom’s hairstylist happened to be the best friend of well known but mostly hated Ms. Cecily Tattler, a church lady and the biggest gossip in town, who OF COURSE just had to tell every living soul she met including Mrs. Riviera the Southmore school nurse. Mrs. Riviera, who has her afternoon snacks with some of the staff, told my mom, who in turn told me over dinner the night before. “I didn’t have a choice.”

“So did you kiss her?” Brian said with eyebrows that just undulated on his forehead. I swear, during that age even the slightest thing brushing against the topic of sex was enough to excite any one of us.

“No man!” Luke said as he looked around. He looked almost scared to be overheard which was quite amusing considering there were over ten people now listening into the conversation. “I can do better than a girl like that.”

“Now, that’s just rude,” Clark Kent said. I’m not kidding. That really was his name. And yes, you guessed it. He was another one of those “below me” basketball players. He was seated beside Margaret Elizabeth C. O’Connor. She always introduced herself like that to anyone who was lucky enough to be introduced to her – or so she said anyway. I swear, sometimes these people who are full of themselves can be so silly. Margaret was Clark’s girlfriend at the time. She was too pre-occupied with looking at herself in the mirror to pay any attention to what we were discussing. “She hangs out with my sister. She’s kinda quiet, but it’s not like she’s a freak or anything.”

“Why don’t you date her then?” Luke asked with narrowed eyes.

Clark turned with a smile to Margaret. “Because I already found the one for me,” he said as he reached over a hand to clasp his girlfriend’s hand.

Margaret was in the middle of adjusting her hair when Clark reached over and consequently swatted his hand for the interruption. She paused as she noticed every eye on the table on her. She checked her reflection one more time on her handheld mirror, probably to check if we were staring at something on her face before shutting the pocket mirror. She then turned to us with an innocent, helpless look. “What?”

“I said I already found the one for me,” Clark repeated with a little longing in his voice.

“Sure babe,” Margaret said with a peck of her lips on his cheek. It wasn’t too hard though, most likely to keep the lipstick from smudging. With that done, she reopened her mirror to check if anything changed in the last ten seconds.

“I wouldn’t mind dating her,” I said. Every eye turned to me again – well almost every eye, Charlie and Margaret seemed distracted with their own worlds.

“Dude,” Brian protested. “You could have any girl you want in this school.”

“I know,” I said with a chuckle but waved at him to continue what he was saying.

“Why would you waste your time with Ms. Softy?” Brian asked after receiving my blessing to continue.

“You know, it’s not always about looks,” I said. Margaret paused her plastic surgery to look at me with an appalled expression of pure hatred and disgust. “I look for more than the superficial things you know. I want someone who interests me, not necessarily others.” Okay, maybe I was stretching the truth there a bit but who were they to know that? “Sure, I look at the physical aspects. But more than that, I look for what’s inside a person, her personality, her humor, things that would keep me in love even after the good looks have faded away.”

“Oooh, that is just so sweet!” Lily squealed. She was another pep squad member who stayed on our table. She was a petite and perky blonde who seemed to bounce all the time whether she was cheering, standing, or sitting. I wondered if she bounced even in bed. Now that was an interesting thought. Her size made a very noticeable contrast to her boyfriend, Andrew Young.

Andrew’s the biggest basketball player in our team. He’s packed full of muscle and healthy fat and can make little boys run away in fear. He was the quiet type though which earned himself the title the gentle giant. It was another contrasting quality to Lily’s hyper personality. He’s a monster on the basketball court though so his apparent shyness is nothing to laugh at. Oh, don’t think I’ve forgotten. Despite his skills in the court, he was still nowhere near my level.

Lily’s comment was repeated in some form by the other girls in the table. You could visibly see each guy holding tighter to their girlfriends, MUs, or “it’s-complicateds. It almost seemed like they were afraid I’d steal away their girls. Even Clark wasn’t waning in his effort to hold Margaret who seemed intent on swatting her boyfriend for interrupting her beautification.

Honestly, their gestures were unnecessary. If I wanted any of their girls, there was absolutely nothing they could do about it.

I was enjoying everyone’s attention just like I always did during lunch except today was different. Someone was really distracted and his eyes seemed to keep wandering over to the table of art freaks, err, art enthusiasts.

I gave the others permission to discuss amongst themselves while I casually observed my best friend.

“Really Big C, I think someone has a crush,” I said conspiratorially.

Charlie seemed surprised at being caught looking again and promptly returned to poking his lunch, which I noticed only then was still uneaten. The food at school was admittedly not the best but it was far from bad. It was actually quite healthy – sort of like an almost but not quite meal for an athlete. Seeing Charlie’s food untouched was definitely unusual for him.

“Is it Rebecca?” I whispered when Charlie didn’t say anything.

“What?” he asked in surprise. “No, of course not.”

I smiled. “So there is someone.”

Charlie turned pale. “No, of course not,” he said again with his head bent down. I spent a few moments studying the art table where five people were talking animatedly. There was Andrea Johnson from the badminton team (she was okay, kinda freckly though), Jenna Davis from the women’s volleyball team (they nicknamed her Butch for her size, go figure), Travis Brody from the Karate team, and Jared Anderson, a floater much like Charlie. And of course, there was Rebecca Hastings – who with a flick of her hair and a glance at our direction was looking like the hottest girl in all of Southmore Middle School.

Leaning in I whispered, “so if it’s not Rebecca, you wouldn’t mind me going for her?”

Charlie looked at me with a face that could only be described as appalled. He spared a glance at Melissa Albright whose hands were still clasped onto my muscular arm. “Don’t you have a girlfriend already?” he whispered.

I raised him an eyebrow. “So?”

Charlie shook his head and looked over at the art table. When he probably realized what he was doing, he looked down again at his food.

I nudged him. “So is it Andrea? No? Please tell me it’s not Jenna. I’m going to have to beat some sense into you before she does.”

Charlie chuckled and smiled so shyly. I swear he never outgrew that look. “So it’s only Rebecca or Andrea. Definitely not Travis or Jared. That would just be so gay.” I rinsed my mouth with juice just having to say that word out loud.

Charlie’s smile lost some of its luster. And his body posture seemed to droop a bit. He went back to poking his food. “It’s no one,” he said flatly.

I nudged him again. “Come on, who is it?”

“I said it’s no one,” he said with an annoyed tone. Now, Charlie rarely ever got mad, especially towards me. But when he did, he liked to throw these little fits of silence. He could ignore me the whole day if I did something that really annoyed him (like the time I blew out his birthday candles before he did, or the time that I pushed him into the kiddie pool because he was so afraid of getting in, or the time I kept teasing him for not having a sport… anyway…). I knew he was getting close to that point so I needed to do something to cheer him up.

I threw one arm around his neck and starting poking him discretely on the ribs with my other hand. Charlie jerked as my finger sent ticklish sensations across his body. Slowly his frown was turning into an unwelcomed smile and his eyes spoke of pure terror. “Cheer up, Big C. No frowning allowed in my presence.”

“Stop,” Charlie begged with a whisper as I continually poked him in different areas. He was desperately trying not to squirm and scream in the crowded lunch hall. “Stop it, Hero.” And with the first unstoppable laugh, he yelled, “stop!”

I finally released him as he was finally smiling and chuckling. The bell rang indicating we should head to our classes soon if we wanted to make it there in time. Everyone started picking up their trays to dispose them – everyone except Luke.

Luke was looking at my direction, or maybe Charlie’s direction. I could have sworn he was glaring and trying to melt us under his gaze.

“Is there a problem, Luke?” I asked nonchalantly.

He looked at us longer before a very fake smile appeared on his face. “Nothing,” he said before standing up with his tray and walking away from us.

“I think he’s mad at us for something,” Charlie said after we deposited our trays.

“Who?” I asked.

“Luke,” Charlie said with a glance around the room as though looking for him.

“Hah!” I said as I placed one arm over Charlie’s neck and pulled him towards him. “Don’t worry about him, I’ll protect you from the big bad Luke.”

Charlie chuckled. “You really are my Hero, huh?”

“Yeah, and don’t you forget it,” I said as I gave him a noogie, under which he squirmed in his futile attempts to get away.

Feel free to leave a review or a post in the discussion thread:

http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/31901-charlie/

This story is a work of fiction. It may contain some elements of a romantic relationship between two consenting teens. If reading such is offensive to you or illegal in your location, do not read further. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author reserves the right to distribute this story.
  • Like 24
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awww, poor Charlie can't confess he was looking at Travis or Jared! His maybe homophobic friend wouldn't understand. So, seems like Hero may have a flaw after all! lol

 

Great chapter; can't wait for more! :)

Link to comment
On 04/28/2011 11:27 PM, Lisa said:
Awww, poor Charlie can't confess he was looking at Travis or Jared! His maybe homophobic friend wouldn't understand. So, seems like Hero may have a flaw after all! lol

 

Great chapter; can't wait for more! :)

Thanks! There will be more soon. :)
Link to comment

Interesting how you write Hero/Derrick. He's kinda a chump, but he really is Big C's hero. I'm not sure what you're going for totally here. I say that because for the most part it's a serious story, but the perfect this perfect that just doesn't lend itself to believability. No on))e, not even Derrick would think or talk like that, so in a sense it's some what farcical but for the most part not. It doesn't detract from the story, just makes me wonder. :)

Link to comment
On 07/20/2011 11:15 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Interesting how you write Hero/Derrick. He's kinda a chump, but he really is Big C's hero. I'm not sure what you're going for totally here. I say that because for the most part it's a serious story, but the perfect this perfect that just doesn't lend itself to believability. No on))e, not even Derrick would think or talk like that, so in a sense it's some what farcical but for the most part not. It doesn't detract from the story, just makes me wonder. :)
Inbox spam!!! I'm just kidding hehe. Oh, I do have an obnoxious, egotistical friend who acts and talks somewhat like Derek (though their lives are nothing alike). So yes, there really are some people who are just full of themselves. He does tend to get on my nerves but he's been there since Grade School so meh... Haha. Fact? Fiction? Who knows. :) Oh, I'll get to your other reviews soon. I have to leave in a bit and I wouldn't want my replies rushed. :P
Link to comment

Well, I'm not going to claim I have Derek's character all figured out - it is only chap 2...do you feel a "but" coming? :lol:

 

Studly, athletic, smart, confident...what's not to like? Is it conceit when it's all true, Derek would ask. Guys like him, and I agree they're out there, always get a "get out of jail" card from their buds for any minor character flaws. It's the way of the world.

 

I get that Derek's mom has had a major influence on how he is. The worst thing I can say about him right now is that he comes off as calculating. I don't doubt for a moment that he sinserely cares about Charlie.

 

Thoroughly enjoying the story. :worship:

Link to comment
On 08/24/2011 03:54 AM, Conner said:
Well, I'm not going to claim I have Derek's character all figured out - it is only chap 2...do you feel a "but" coming? :lol:

 

Studly, athletic, smart, confident...what's not to like? Is it conceit when it's all true, Derek would ask. Guys like him, and I agree they're out there, always get a "get out of jail" card from their buds for any minor character flaws. It's the way of the world.

 

I get that Derek's mom has had a major influence on how he is. The worst thing I can say about him right now is that he comes off as calculating. I don't doubt for a moment that he sinserely cares about Charlie.

 

Thoroughly enjoying the story. :worship:

Thanks again! Something to keep in mind with this story is that it's narrated from Derek's POV which means he can pretty much control what happens? Fact? Fiction? Embellishment? Only he can know really. :D
Link to comment

Well im new to this site and you are the second Author ive read so far I do prefer to read stories that have substance and development of character like you seem to have I like background to each person and get to know them to be involved in the story ive read a couple of others from another author who has the same mindset dont get me wrong I do read the odd erotic story when im in that mood nothing wrong with a little tittilation now and then but Nifty is good for that but stories of substance ive found here. Asi come here to read a chapter and end up reading 4 or 5 and so far not regreting my decision to subscribe to gay Authors and looking forward to the development of Charlie and Derick but the latter frightens me somewhat as he sounds a bit Narrsassistic and thinks of himself 1st and 2nd and Charlie will probabley get hurt a few times a long the way and Derick will charm his way back into his affections but end up getting hurt once again but i will read on and hope im wrong

Link to comment
On 03/04/2012 12:14 PM, Dave68 said:
Well im new to this site and you are the second Author ive read so far I do prefer to read stories that have substance and development of character like you seem to have I like background to each person and get to know them to be involved in the story ive read a couple of others from another author who has the same mindset dont get me wrong I do read the odd erotic story when im in that mood nothing wrong with a little tittilation now and then but Nifty is good for that but stories of substance ive found here. Asi come here to read a chapter and end up reading 4 or 5 and so far not regreting my decision to subscribe to gay Authors and looking forward to the development of Charlie and Derick but the latter frightens me somewhat as he sounds a bit Narrsassistic and thinks of himself 1st and 2nd and Charlie will probabley get hurt a few times a long the way and Derick will charm his way back into his affections but end up getting hurt once again but i will read on and hope im wrong
Hi Dave68! First, thank you for reading my story, especially since I am your second author to read from here. I do hope you enjoy your time here on GA. I'll try to reply to the comments where I can still give input. I know you've finished the story so replying ambiguously about what will happen in it won't help anymore. Hehe. I'll try to give insights though where they are applicable. :)

 

Again, thanks!

Link to comment

Interesting that D talks about some of the other people being stuck on themselves. The way he speaks about himself sheds the same light on him. There is a difference between being egotistical and arrogant and just being confident. He seems to falling in the first category with me. He may be good looking, good at basketball and well liked but to constantly point that out and make it seem one of the most important things about him just makes him conceded in my book. Maybe this is the part that you were referring to when you said some would like, dislike or feel sorry for the characters. He has a l o n g way to go in my book if I am going to be that way towards him, lol. I don't dislike him. I'm just indifferent at the moment.

 

I can feel for Big C though. Being stuck in a group, or feeling like it, that you don't seem to fit with while secretly longing to be somewhere else. Torn between a friend or in Charlie's case your 'hero' and best friend and the desires of your heart- be that a place, group or just plain love. Tough call and one that has the potential to tear a friendship apart.

 

I think Luke already knows or strongly suspects that Big C is gay and has a cruch on his 'hero'. Could be interesting to see the pressure that he puts on D and the lengths to which he may go to expose Big C.

Link to comment

Derek seems to have the egotistical personality down to a science, and everyone just seems to adhere to it with no malice whatsoever. But Charlie being his best friend doesn't seem to get past it either. He seems uncomfortable in confiding in his best friend.

 

Just started reading thi, so I know I have a ways to go to see what developes here. Love this tho.

Link to comment

And the award for best throwaway line of the week goes to:

"Sometimes people that are full of themselves can be so silly....."

can we have a big hand for the author? yes here he comes now.....

Link to comment

Derek has a very high opinion of himself and he certainly isn´t a modest person. Wonder how he´ll react when he finds out that Charlie likes looking at boys. I like Charlie, but I´m not entirely sure about Derek at this point.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..