Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Time to Heal - 13. Chapter 13

Izahk and I were driving through the old town. The only factory in town had moved operations off-shore leaving the town with little employment. A large chain store had moved into the center of the county beside the consolidated high school. This resulted in most of the small businesses being forced out of business making the old town a ghost town. He stopped by the former high school on Main Street. It was a lovely old building that I had always admired while feeling saddened that it had fallen into such disrepair. There were broken windows and other reminders of vandalism, but it still was a 'Proud Old Lady' having been built in 1925". "Sir, I have been thinking that we could buy this old school then turn it into AngelWorks recording studio and AngelWorks Playhouse. I sneaked into the building by the back door..it wasnt locked. It has a stage and auditorium a lot like the theatre where we performed Timmy with a floor that sloped toward the stage and it has a basketball court that would make a good rehearsal area plus many more rooms that can be turned into the recording studio and everything else we need".

"Sounds like a great idea to me, Baby" He looked shocked. I think he expected me to find many things wrong with his idea.

"Sir, do we have enough money to do that?" Izahk had no clue that he was a wealthy young man. I had invested every cent he had earned from the first day he mowed my lawn to all he had earned from his theatre work and recordings and guest appearances. He never questioned me about his money. When he needed anything, I used my funds. I had been fortunate to get a large sum from the sale of my businesses in California. I always kept cash on me when we went anywhere in case he wanted to buy candies for gifts at the nursing home or his 'Acts of Angel Work'. If he left the house to go anywhere, I would slip money into his pocket in case he needed gas or a snack or anything. Money simply didnt enter his mind. In this case, he realized that we would be spending a lot of money to make his dream come true.

"Baby, I think we can afford it. Just one word of advice. Find the best people you can to get it done right. If you dont, the shoddy work will haunt you forever"

"Really, sir, we can do it?"

"No, we cant do it..YOU can do it". I knew he was mature enough and excited enough to be committed to the project.

"Sir, I dont know if I can do it without you"

"I will be behind you in case I see you need advice, but I want you to take charge..it's time" Now, for me to say that took a lot of courage because I am an organizer and completer so keeping my trap shut was going to take a lot of lip-biting. Izahk made an appointment with the chairman of the school board. Dressed in one of his Billy Beene suits, he kissed me goodbye on the porch. I gave him the High Sign as he drove away. I must admit, I prayed for him wishing that Frank or I could go along to guide him. He returned about two hours later. "How did it go, baby?"

"I presented my ideas to him explaining what I have in mind. Then I offered him half of the asking price. He told me he would take it in front of the board, but he doubted they would accept my offer. I then explained that it would relieve the board of a burden plus clean up an eyesore and eventually create jobs for the people"." As I left he pulled out his CD of my Holiday Songs and asked me to autograph it. That made me think, He is going to work hard to sell the idea to the board".

"Wow, baby, where did you learn all that" He then laughed, "Watching you and Mr Stegman". Of course I couldnt keep my big mouth shut, so I said, "And the county will get a lot more tax reveune from a building that is now bringing in nothing". I then thought, "Just cant shut your mouth can you". I had both fingers crossed and my toes. I hoped and prayed they would accept. After supper, I went to my computer to catch up on email. I heard Izahk in the parlor playing and singing. I recognized the song he was singing..If You Only Believe. The board met the next week. Sadly, the vote was a "Yes" except for a 'No" Vote from Mr. Crumbee who was a banker from an old family that had been wealthy for many generations. Izahk was not fazed by the 'No' vote. He called the bank to schedule an appointment with Mr Crumbee. When his assistant ushered Izahk into the office, Mr Crumbee arose from his chair extending his hand to Izahk, "What can I do for you, Mr. Tarlton?"

"I am sure you know why I am here sir. I would like for you to reconsider my offer for the old school building".

"I am sorry, son, but that building is worth every penny we are asking for it".

"Okay, sir, I will pay your asking price" The banker looked stunned. He was expecting a long list of reasons why he should settle for a lesser price.

"Mr Tarlton, that building is costing the school board a lot money just to keep it from falling down". We should give it to you to save money. I wanted to see how committed to your project you are..you will never accomplish it without total committment. I will vote yes if you offer five thousand more to make it look like I won". Then he laughed walking around the desk to Izahk. "One more request".

"Will you sing at my daughter's wedding and reception". Then he hugged Izahk saying, "If you believe in yourself, then others will believe in you and I think you believe you can do it".

"Thank you sir, I love you and if you change your mind, I will still sing at your daughter's wedding anyhow, I love to sing and make people happy"

"That, son, is why I am going to vote yes and will be donating five thousand to your Izahk Tarlton Foundation for Childhood Cancer Research. Izahk and Frank and I had formed the foundation to help the kids and their families"

"Sir, thank you very much for the gift. It will help the kids and help their families going through very rough times. Our foundation helps the families out when they get hit with so much expense and loss of work time".

"Izahk got his old school building and a major advocate for it. He proved to be a wise advisor to a young man who needed wise advice. Mr Crumbee knew how to get things done.

Copyright © 2011 Harmon Anderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..