Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Time to Heal - 3. Chapter 3

I didnt hear him come into the house at 3:30 AM. He had let himself inside and showered without my being aware. I felt him slide into bed beside me. "Hi sir"

"Hi, Baby. How was work?'

"It was easy tonight. We didnt have too many bags to load and none got broken".

"Guess you wont get baked tonight".

"Guess not, but my shoulders are deep-fried"

"I was worried that might happen after you worked in the sun. We must be careful in the future to make sure you always use a sunblocker when you work outside. Or you could always wear a shirt. Then on second thought that would be a waste of a good view".

He giggled softly. "Do you like the scenery?"

"Better than Grand Canyon on a clear day. Baby, I thought about this after you left for work"

"What?". There was a fear in his voice.

"I remembered that you had not slept all day and would be exhausted. I am sorry for not letting you nap a while"

I sensed a relief when he said, "I thought you were thinking about making me go away". I began then to realize how much fear he had of rejection.

"Baby, if you leave it will be because you choose to leave. I will never ask you to leave. Do you wanna sleep late tomorrow morning?".

"Unless you need me to help you work around here".

"Work can wait"

It was barely sunrise when I felt his body twitching and heard him muttering in his sleep, "Please dont hurt me". I gently woke him up by rubbing his hair.

"Wake up Baby..wake up.. you are having a nightmare". I saw his eyes open and then he realized where he was..not where his dream had taken him. "You are safe here. Nobody will hurt you". I put my arm around him continuing to stroke his hair softly. He snuggled into my arm seeming to relax. "I will never let anything or anybody hurt you". Whatever had happened in his mind must have been terrifying to him. The sleep-muttering had a panic-laden tone. I knew that if he chose to reveal the dream, I would listen, but it was not my place to inquire. I felt his breathing soften then he fell back to sleep. I know he was exhausted from having gotten no sleep yesterday. I looked at him sleeping. He was such a beautiful young man. He had an exotic look about him. "I wonder what his background is?'. His skin was dusky. He had full lips and that wonderful curly auburn hair. That also would be told to me when he wanted to tell me. "Maybe he didnt know". His grandmother had reared him when his mother died in childbirth. The only thing I knew about his granny was that the clerk at the convenience store called her a 'half-breed' when I told her that I had bought the old place. All I knew then was that whatever genes he gotten were great genes.

I eased my body from the bed trying to not to disturb him since he need to rest. In the kitchen, I was enjoying a cup of coffee and a smoke watching the sun rise over the moutains revealing details in the shadows. Am I ready for this? yes..no..yes..no. When Joey was killed by the drunk driver, I told myself that I could never go through that again. After all, that was why I was there restoring the old house and gardens. I didnt want to have anyone in my life. I wanted to be alone absorbed in a project that would use up all my time, permit me to avoid much human contact. and avoid any chance of caring for anyone ever again. Why did this young man enter my life? Should I send him on his way to avoid getting hurt again? What would my life be like if I sent him away? I was confused. Part of me wished he had never entered my life and part of me winced at the thought that he would not be part of my life. I heard him come out on the porch. He was wearing his boxers having that 'just awakened look'..his hair tussled and the sleepy eyes. "Morning, Baby, can I get you some coffee?"

"Let me get it, I dont want to disturb you".

"Allow me to get if for you. I like helping others out".

He had the mug wrapped in his fingers as he slowly entered the world of the awake people. "Are we going to work on the old stone wall again today". I wanted to do that since completion of a task is important to me. I didnt want to overwork him. I explained that to him. "I like to work".

"It sure shows in your body. You are muscular". He then continued by telling me that his father was from England. He said that Granny had told him about his father. His mother had met him when she was there performing in a West End play. They had an affair and Izahk was the result. She had asked her mother to rear the baby if anything happened to her. Granny kept her promise. It was then that he revealed that his granny was a French Creole woman. That explained why the clerk had called her a 'half-breed'. He said that his grandfather was a white man. The picture began to emerge. It explained why he had that hint of duskiness to his skin. Now, I thought, where did that red hair come from? "Are you ready for breakfast?"

I was preparing our breakfast when I heard him playing a CD in the parlor. It was a haunting piano melody. I walked to the parlor to discover him sitting at my grand paino playing. I stood there fascinated by it all. Finally, he sensed my presence, "I am sorry, sir, I should have asked your permission to play the piano".

"No, keep playing. You are quite good at it". He started playing again. This time, he added his own voice as he played. I was dumbfounded. He had a voice that could go from baritone to tenor easily never once going off-key. When he finished the song, I commented. "Your voice and playing seem trained" It was then that he told me how his granny would set him on her lap and taught him to play. He went on to tell me that she had managed to somehow find the money to buy him lessons. His piano teacher realizing that he was gifted, taught him for free and arranged for him to get free lessons at the local community college when he was only 8 years old. The teacher, there, realizing his ability, asked her friend at the local university to teach him. I was enthralled. "Please play the piano anytime you want. I rarely play anymore"

As we ate breakfast on the covered porch, he said, "I was dreaming about the times that Billy Beele would beat me up at school and call me names". I knew by then that Izahk was a gentle soul and would never defend himself. It made me furious thinking that a bully would harm him. Sir, I have upset you"

"Its okay, I get upset when I hear of anyone harming somone or something that cant defend himself" If I could have found, Billy at that moment I would have kicked his butt. Then he told me that his granny had explained to him that Billy came from a bad family that was filled with drunks and wifebeaters and such and that he should forgive the boy. He went on to say that He would avoid the boy as much as possible. His granny would send extra food with him for the bully, "Precious, I doubt he has any lunch to bring". Granny taught him to look deeper into a situation and to forgive not holding anger inside himself. "What did Billy say when you brought him a lunch?"

"He knocked it out of my hand onto the ground. I walked away and when I got out of sight, I saw him pick it up and disappear around the building". Then the next day, Granny sent along another lunch. I handed it to him when nobody was looking. He held it and said, "Thank you". I told him that Granny was a good cook and she was happy he liked it. Billy stopped bullying Izahk. I was scared to ask him, but got up the nerve. "Billy, Granny would like for you to come home with me for supper". I was dieing to know what Billy had said.

"I can tell my father that I went fishing after school" Billy went home with Izahk. He said that Billy was quiet and shy, but Granny got him talking about things he liked..cars, guns, and fishing. Granny let Izahk walk the two miles to Billy's house after supper was over. Billy told him that he better not get any closer to the house since his father was probably drunk again. "Thank you for supper Izahk" Again My curiosity was killing me to find out what happened to Billy after High school, but that was not offered. .

Copyright © 2011 Harmon Anderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..