Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Time to Heal - 6. Chapter 6

I was too excited to fall asleep. Frank and I sat in the kitchen talking over coffee. "I have written some of the songs that will be used in 'Timmy'. I have a lyricist in mind to write the lyrics".

"Who do you have in mind?". I knew he had used the best in the business finding myself curious whom he might choose.

"You"

"Oh come on now, who have you chosen?".

"You..I have read your poems and stories and feel you have the heart to write the emotions I want in the musical" I was floored..stunned. Why would a man like Frank choose some unknown who only wrote because he loved it. I realized he was serious."I will send you the music with me playing the piano so you can set the rhythm. You can write the lyrics then return them to me".

"OK, I will do one. If you dont like it then no hard feelings then you can choose a real lyricist"

"It's a deal".

The young man was never able to return so Izahk performed the lead for the entire month. The opera house was packed nightly. Word spread quickly about Izahk. After the final performance, "Frank told Izahk that he wanted him to take a break since the former lead would do the show in Charlotte, NC. "I have something special that I want you to do for me in a few months". I was afraid that Izahk would get his feelings hurt , but surprisingly he understood. He hugged Frank closely saying, "Thank you, sir, I love you". I knew in my heart that Izahk would be the lead on Broadway in Timmy. When the CD arrived with Frank playing a haunting song that was almost hymn-like, I listened to it when Izahk was outside or at voice/piano lessons or at dance lessons. I began writing the lyrics to a song I called When I Saw Your Eyes. It was about the first time I saw Izahk..his gentle smile and gentle eyes. I think I cried a bucketful of tears writing that song. The melody seemed to call for a soft, gentle song of love. One afternoon when Izahk was home, I played Frank's CD for him. "Can you play that for me". I knew he could and I knew that he would enhance the song. He sat at the piano in the parlor playing his version of it. He, like Frank, could hear a tune once and it became his. I also knew that his reading disability prevented him from reading my lyrics so I read them to him. He could always remember every word of anything read to him. When I looked up at him, tears were streaming down his face.

"That is beautiful sir, who wrote the poem?"

"Me". He jumped up from the piano to hug me over and over again.

"Now, Baby, will you sing my poem to that melody". He seated himself again singing my lyrics to Frank's melody he played on the piano. We both had 'the waterworks' going then. I asked if the thought that we could record it at the university to send to Frank. He said he would ask the next day at his lessons. The voice/piano teacher asked after the recording, "That is haunting..who wrote it"

"Frank Stegman"

"I might have guessed..so perfect and who wrote the lyrics?" Izahk jumped up saying proudly, "Mr Branson wrote them". And then in a departure from his normal stern manner he said, "And who played the song and sang it". I chimed in, "Old Poodle Hair Himself". That was the first time I saw the professor actually burst into laughter. Then he said, "Well done, Pierre". Izahk walked over to him and hugged him saying, "Thank you, I love you". For a moment I was scared that the professor would be offended at the hug, but he gave it back with the same enthusiasm. "Izahk, I want to work with you on the voice part..we have a few things to polish up. "Yes sir". I sent the recording to Frank.

Frank called expressing his love for the lyrics and Izahk's singing and playing. "Can you get the voice track from the professor to send to me?"

"I'll ask". I called the professor with Frank's request..he agreed. "What is Pierre doing".

"He's dead asleep on the sofa"

"I like that boy. When he came to his next voice lesson he walked in,,snapped to attention saying, "Pierre reporting for voice lessons, SIR". I just cant be serious around him, he cracks me up". He kept me laughing or crying most of the time so I fully understood. He was a natural entertainer.

"When he wakes up, tell him I asked about him". I could tell that Izahk had made dent in that man's hard shell. Over supper, I conveyed the message.

"I like him, he is a nice man" That was always a signal to me that Izahk trusted a person.

Frank took the voice track having it blended with a full orchestra playing the melody. He wanted to present it to the people who were backing the musical. I received a copy on a CD. I had it cued on what I call 'The Big Sound System'. I wanted Izahk to hear it at its best. After Izahk got home from dance lessons with Leon, we ate supper then I suggested we go to the parlor to listen to a CD. As we sat there, I used the remote to start it playing. The soprano sounds of the viloins began then the orchestra played then finally, we heard Izahk's voice singing with the orchestra. It was rich, alive and vibrant. Izahk sat there almost stunned listening to himself sing with an orchestra. "What do ya think, Baby?, I asked after it finished.

"I cant believe it is me" Frank had your voice track dubbed in with the orchestra I mentioned. "Can we play it again"

"Sure". He seemed to be listening critcally.

"I can do it better now that the professor has helped me" The professor had always taught him to 'get it right'..never settle for 'good enough'. I sat there listening thinking how it would sound on stage in New York.

Copyright © 2011 Harmon Anderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..