Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Time to Heal - 14. Chapter 14

The old school had been gutted. The architect and the engineer had gotten the building under a good roof and stabililized. It was now time to begin reconstructing the auditorium. "Sir, I think the theatre should have a balcony. It just isnt a theatre without a balcony". I agreed. 'I am going to talk to the architect to see if he can design a balcony". Izahk didnt want any support posts to the balcony feeling that it would obstruct the view from the back seats. Again, I agreed. We were in the old auditorium with the architect and engineer discussing it when we heard someone come in. It was Mr Crumbee from the bank.

"Good day to you gentlemen. You have this old auditorium looking good". He would visit the project often since the bank building was just down Main Street. He seemed to enjoy watching it all happen. Plus, I think he enjoyed seeing Izahk often. I later discovered that his son had been nothing but trouble ending up in prison. 'Where are we going from here, son?", he said to Izahk.

"Sir, we were discussing the possibility of adding a balcony" It was then that Mr. Crumbee told Izahk that the location of his bank building has once been the site of an old vaudeville theatre. When he bought the old structure, it was near falling down so he made the decision to raze it. Then he revealed that he had often sat in the at old theatre as a child watching movies when it was converted to a movie theatre.

"I loved sitting in the balcony. I had the men remove all the interior including the balcony and it is stored safely. What do you think of using as much of what I have stored to complete this theatre?". The architect and engineers eyes lighted up. "Want to go see what I have saved?" It was within easy walking distance in an old building I had seen often, but never realized it was storing an old theatre. As we walked along Main Street. I saw Izahk walking beside Mr Crumbee who had his arm around Izahk's shoulders. I think he was quite proud of him. Maybe he was the son that Mr. Crumbee had hoped to have. When He unlocked the door for us to step inside, it was dark. He went to a main switch box flipping switches causing the interior to light up. The architect and engineer were going to one item to the next. "Son, if you can use any or all of this, it is my gift to you".

I noticed he had a large envelope with him. It was then that he opened it up showing us old pictures of the theatre plus ones he had made before it was dismantled. "It's perfect, sir, exactly as I imagined the balcony would be. I hope the architect can use all the parts you have stored". About a week later, they reported to Izahk that with some modifications it could be used in the new 'old' theatre. 'When I was a little boy, Granny and I would walk by the old theatre, but we never went inside since she didnt have enough money to buy tickets. Then I saw them tear it down for the new bank. Now, I can go to the theatre. I have decided that we will let people come in for free who cant afford a ticket".

"Good idea. Maybe one of them is a future Izahk".

It took about a year to get the Old school converted into AngelWork Recording studio and AngelWork Theatre. It was near completion when Izahk asked me to help him test the acoustics in the theatre. "Sir, go sit in the balcony while I sing on stage". I seated myself when I heard him begin to sing without using any of the sound amplification system. "Sir, how does it sound?". It was easily heard from the balcony with none of the echo found in modern theatres. The engineer had consulted a specialist who designed sound baffles keeping out the echo. Then I did the same thing at the rear of the theatre and at various points throughout the main seating area.

"Of course when you have this place filled with people, it may change". They had carefully integrated and concealed a modern sound system into the 'old' theatre. "Try the sound system, Izahk". He attached the transmitter to his belt then put on the microphone. Until we got the volume adjusted, it was near deafening. "I think that people can stand across the street and hear that". Izahk told me that once it was complete, he was going to invite all the people who had helped him and the school board for a private show with him singing and playing the piano. 'I suggest you have Miss Edie be in charge of setting up food for the event". There was nobody better around who could even match her abilities. After we made up the list of people who would be invited, it was going to take up about half of the seating capacity. Miss Edie took over planning the meal which was to be held in the former basketaball court which had been converted to a practice room with full wall mirrors. I walked in with Izahk before the guests were to arrive. She had gone full-out with tables and white tablecloths plus flowers on each table.

"What do you think, Precious?".

"It is perfect, Miss Edie..nothing could be better" We had arranged to have full staff for the theatre to familiarize them with lighting and sound and curtains..sort of a practice-run for later. Izahk stood at the entrance greeting the guests as they arrived then directing them to the practice room for the meal. While they enjoyed Miss Edie's food, we did the last-minute preparations for the show. Besides himself, Izahk had arranged for different types of talent to be in the first show in AngelWorks Theatre. He hadnt said much about what he would be singing or much about any of the other performers he had chosen for the first official production from the theatre. We had the studio-level cameras in place plus the recording equipment. The theatre, dance, and music majors from the high school and university were all involved plus the students who were learning all the support systems from lighting to sound and stage management. Izahk wanted to give young people an opportunity to learn at AngelWorks. I must admit it was strange to see him being called Mr. Izahk and calling the young people 'My Kids'. It seemed like only yesterday that he had been a 'kid' with big dreams and hopes. Now, he was leading, directing, and mentoring 'His Kids'.

Copyright © 2011 Harmon Anderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..