Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Time to Heal - 8. Chapter 8

I was inside tidying up the house when I heard the phone ring. It was the professor. "What's Pierre doing?"

"He's outside working on his truck".

"May I come over?"

"Sure..how about supper while you are here?" I had selected the site for Joey's grave.. a favorite spot of mine overlooking the old house on a slight hill. I had asked Izahk what I should have inscribed on his tombstone. He quickly replied to have his name on top and below that his birthdate and the date of his death. Then at the bottom have written "Bring Him Home". I agreed..it was perfect.

I heard the professor's car coming down the driveway. I saw it come to a stop seeing Izahk running to it giving the professor a big hug as he emerged. I then saw the professor run his hand through Izahk's hair and gently kiss him on top of the head. They walked in together. Izahk was beaming. It was then that I realized how much he loved the professor and how much the professor loved him. "Has Pierre been practicing the song that Frank sent".

"Yes..he sings it all the time".

"But, does he sing it correctly?" I will have him sing it after supper..sort of a pop-quiz.

We were in the parlor with the professor seated at the piano. I with my standard cup of coffee in hand. He played the opening notes then Izahk sang it looking at him the entire time. Tears started to roll down the professor cheeks. Then he said softly to Izahk, "That was perfect". Then he looked into Izahk's eyes saying softly, "I guess you wont need me anymore". Izahk quickly said, "Oh no sir, I still need a lot of practice..please help me learn it" "Well, there are a few thing that need some minor work" Neither one of them wanted it to end. There was such love between them.

I chimed in, "I think he went a little flat in a couple of places". No he didnt..it was perfect and I knew it.

"Perhaps we need to work on exercises to keep your voice strong"

"Oh yessir..I need that..please"

"Mr Branson, I would enjoy some coffee if you have any made". With the three of us around the kitchen table he told us about the time in his early days as a professor when he was head-over-heels in love with a young man, but had been too strict and controlling with the young man so he left. I saw Izahk wiping tears as the story unfolded. "I was a jerk..a total jerk. My father was a controller. I had become him. Then along came Izahk. Everytime he would cry after I criticized his singing, I felt like a jerk. After he would leave the sessions, I would go into my office and cry like a baby". Then he looked at Izahk saying, "You gave me my heart back..I can feel again". By then I was crying.

"Would you two please hug or kiss or something so I can stop this dumb crying". They laughed and did both. Then Izahk said, "Sir, will you keep teaching me for a long time". Somehow, I knew that someday the professor would meet the right person. He had too much love inside him to not love with all his heart. It came to him later in a strange way.

A year and half later when Izahk and I left NYC for a month-long break from the show, we brought Anthony, the young man who had to leave the opera house show. Frank had brought him to NYC to be in the cast of Timmy. He and Izahk were the best of friends. After Anthony's father had died, he had nobody left so Izahk, Frank, the cast and I became his 'family". I was glad to be back home again. By then, Izahk was nearly twenty-one and Anthony was twenty-four. They were like kids..running and playing on the lawns. Izahk couldnt wait to introduce his friend to the professor. He called him to ask him over for supper. Of course when the professor appeared, Izahk ran to him for a hug.

"Do I get a hug also", I heard Anthony say. He got a hug..maybe a bit longer than customary. I seated them side-by-side. There seemed to be an instant attraction. After supper, I suggested we all go to the parlor where the professor was seated at the piano. He looked at Anthony and patted the bench saying, "Would you sit beside me. please". Izahk was seated beside me. The professor would play while Anthony sang. After several songs, the professor said he had to leave. As he rose, I felt Izahk start to stand up so I tugged his shorts gently. He then stayed seated. I then saw Anthony escort the professor outside to his car. Nosey Izahk couldnt resist. I saw him go to the bay window. He whispered with a big smile, "The professor is kissing Anthony goodnight"

"Baby, you shouldnt be so snoopy..but I am glad you did". We both laughed. Anthony didnt come back inside so we walked out to the porch. He was seated in the porch swing rocking back and forth gently.

"I like him" It seems it went both ways. Izahk and I were both giggling like school girls as we lay in bed discussing it all. I think I saw Cupid Wings on Izahk's back that night. Sneaky devil he was. The next day, the boys went over to the professor's house to practice some of the songs. Izahk had to 'conveniently' go sing for the old folk at the nursing home. Cupid was busy with his arrows. Izahk came home alone.

"Where's Anthony?"

"He and the professor wanted to go to dinner, but I had to come back here to help you with a project"

"What project?" Then I saw Izahk grin and give me an exaggerated wink. 'You sneaky little cupid'.

"They didnt beg me to tag along"..then he smiled.

Anthony didnt come home that night. He phoned Izahk. I knew he was safe with the professor. I have a strong protective nature so I had a tendency to worry. Izahk had that cheshire cat look he gets when he is up to something sneaky. As much as he tried, he never could surprise me since his face was an announcement that he was trying to fool me. I would go along with it to permit him to enjoy 'surprising me'. It seems that cupid's arrow had landed on target. I dreaded the time we had to return to New York for the musical since it would mean that Anthony would have to leave the professor. The month at home zipped by.

Anthony was quiet on the return trip.

Copyright © 2011 Harmon Anderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..