Jump to content
    Hawkeye
  • Author
  • 6,096 Words
  • 3,644 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Destiny - 1. Chapter 1

A Sci-Fi story about a 15 year old teen forced to move from Earth onto another planet. This is the tale of Nate and his adventure.

Please email me what you think of the story. All legal applies. I have all rights to this story. If you have an issues, please contact me. Also I want to thank Pete, my editor for being so patient with me. Hug Pete

 


 

 

“WHAT!? WHEN DID YOU DECIDED ON THAT?”

“Nate, your mom and I decided it’s the only thing left to do.”

“f**k that, I’m staying here!”

“Don’t SWEAR! Besides son, I think it will be the best for us.” Nate’s dad walked over to the chair and looked into Nate’s dark brown eyes. “Nate there is nothing here for us anymore. You and your sister are not going to have a future here on Earth.”

Nate looked away toward his family pictures. “Dad, what about my friends, our family?” He was ready to burst into tears. He couldn’t just leave; he felt as though he’s betraying his friends, himself and his studies.

“Nate... look, I love you, son, and I want the best for us, for you and your sister and your mom.”

Nate looked at his dad and see this man in his mid 30’s, black crew cut hair, brown eyes, 6 feet tall, a well built man, and he has made his decision. Nate looked at his mom and sees her sitting in the loveseat looking at him, tears in her blue eyes. “Mom, can you talk to him?”

“Nate, dear...” She sighs and looked to the floor as she gathered the strength to be strong for her family. “This is hard on all of us....” She looked at Nate. She barely had enough strength to walk across the living room. She knelt in front of Nate, took his hands and holding on tight said, “I want a future for you. No one can find a job here on Earth anymore. You know your uncle has been looking for a job for 3 years.” She holds his hand to her face and smells the soap that Nate used in this morning’s shower.

“Well Uncle Andy is lazy, maybe didn’t look hard enough.” Nate was getting desperate to keep his roots on Earth. He lived his short 15 years of life in the northern provinces of North America. He knew he’s losing his battle and is holding his tears back. Nate felt that he lost everything he knows. He was panicking inside. There was nothing he could do about it. He knows once his father has decided, there is no going back.

“Uncle Andy may be lazy, but he’s not stupid. He’s a good engineer. Nate, he’s coming with us.”

“Oh yay, we have Uncle Andy!” Nate said as looked to the floor, wondering how he was going to tell his friends.

“Nate, look... we’ll talk more about it after we eat. Why don’t you invite Thomas over for supper?” Nate’s mom was trying her best to keep herself and the family happy. Nate wasn’t happy about it and she knew it, she knew that he was going to have a hard time adjusting. She loved her son, but she knew Nate was trying to find his place in this world. She always told him she would be there for him, no matter what.

Nate looked into his mom’s and dad’s eyes and felt so hopeless, felt he had no control in his life, everything he tried fell back on him. Nate wiped a tear from his face and got up to go into his bedroom. Feeling so livid, he slammed his door. He looked around in his bedroom for a second, trying not cry. After regaining his inner strength and taking a deep breath, he looked in his mirror and studied himself. He was skinny, not skin and bones, just thin. Nate was just average height, 5’9” tall, black hair, brown eyes with redness from crying, 150 pounds maybe.

“f**k! I don’t want to go!” Nate looked away and felt hopeless and angry. He just wanted to scream at the top of his lungs. “It just isn’t fair!” Nate walked over to the window and lay down on his loveseat.

He looked at his wrist and saw his com pad.

“Nate to Thomas,” he commanded.

“Hey Nate, you weren’t in advanced computer class today. Where are you?” Thomas’ head appears over Nate’s wrist. Thomas was having a snack when Nate paged him.

“Mom and Dad had me stay home... Thomas, they gave me some bad news...” Nate looked away from the hologram. Nate never told Thomas how much he cared for him. Thomas was his best friend and secretly he had a crush on him. Nate would never do anything to hurt their friendship; that’s why he never told Thomas that he’s gay.

“Turns out you were a girl?” Thomas asked smirking.

“f**k you, Thomas!” Nate smiled. He knew Thomas would get him to smile again. Nate looked at Thomas’ image, he paused. “Thomas I want you come over here now. This is bad...” Nate turned away. His tears were streaming down his cheeks.

“It’s that bad, Nate? Okay, I'll be over in ten minutes. Nate... it's okay!” Thomas was concerned; he hadn’t seen Nate cry often, in fact, the last time he saw Nate with tears in his eyes was when he got kicked in the groin last year by some bully named Hank.

“Thomas, come over now....”

Nate shut the com pad hard and got up quickly. He had a lot of anger and hurting inside him. He just wanted to punch a hole in the wall, wanted to rip his clothes off and break every damn thing in his room. He walked around in his room, ready to destroy something, anything at all. He needed to release this anger. He wanted to tell the world how mad it was and he was hurting. Then he looked through the window and saw where he was. Nate began to calm down. His breathing was returning to normal, his fists relaxed. Nate looked deeply into this 22nd Century world he lived in, the tall building shooting past the clouds, sparkles from the windows, the dark and gray surfaces. Nate looked down and saw millions of people and transports on the streets below. Nate was pondering, ‘What’s going to happen to me?’

He just had an overwhelming sense of loneliness. “I’m almost finished with High School, and now this.” Nate slapped the wall beside him hard and leaned forward. He rested his forehead on the window. He closed his eyes and tears were pouring out of him. Nate put his hands in his pockets, feeling insecure.

Just as he started to regain control of his emotions, Nate felt two arms wrapping around his chest and holding him tightly. Nate opened his eyes slowly and breathed in his familiar scent. He started to relax, removing his hands from his pockets. He held onto the arms that were resting on his chest.

“We’re moving,” Nate whispered, as if it was his last breath of life.

“Where?”

“Some stupid planet,” he said in an even lower voice. Nate said it for the first time. He just broke down and cried.

The arms around his chest tightened even more to hold Nate up. Nate could feel him breathing on the back of his neck. Nate spoke so softly it hurt him, “Thomas” saying it as if it might be the last time.

“Yeah.”

“We’re leaving in a month.” Nate paused for second to get more strength. “Tomorrow is my last day at school.” The blow hit Nate so hard that his heart skipped a beat feeling the anger inside him. There was a fire burning within him, he wanted to scream, wanted to kill everybody in the world. Nate punched the window as hard as he could, feeling a dull pain in his hand... the relief that he wanted, away from the pain he was feeling inside.

Thomas turned Nate around. He looked into his teary eyes. Thomas knew Nate was not okay. He threw his arms around Nate and held on for dear life. Nate hugged him back, holding on to the last thing he had left. They held on to each for a while. They just stood there, not talking, just being there for each other. Nate cried on Thomas’ shoulder, weeping until he couldn’t cry anymore. Nate finally let go of Thomas and took a step back and looked into his eyes, then he looked at his shirt.

“Hehe... I got your shirt wet.” Nate had a very weak smile on his face. He couldn’t stand up anymore. Losing control of his emotions, he had expelled every known emotion at once, and it wore him out.

Nate just couldn’t stand nor look at Thomas. He lost all his feelings and will to live. Nate was overwhelmed by everything that happened in the last 20 minutes. When his mom and dad told him why he was staying home today, he thought he was getting a day off from school and was happy about it. But no, he was about to lose everything that he loved and held dear.

Thomas saw Nate was vulnerable and just staring into nothingness. He sat beside him and spoke so softly that he could hardly even hear himself.

“Then we make it the best we can.”

Nothing was said.

Nate turned around and looked at Thomas, his crush, his best friend, his want-to-be lover, his everything.

Thomas has a light skin tone, a smooth skin - it makes babies jealous knowing how smooth his skin is. Thomas is taller than Nate by a few inches. Same age, brown hair with lots of gel, green eyes that the gods would kill to have. A body with little baby fat still remaining. Bright red lips that are a sin to kiss. Nate sighed and looked away; he was staring too long at his best friend’s eyes. “We have to, Thomas, we just have to.”

Nate was overtaken by a feeling of bravado and it was rallying him to kiss Thomas. He never told Thomas these feeling before; he never could get the nerve to just tell Thomas his feeling. Being gay in today’s world is nothing now. No, being gay is the next step of evolution. If you are gay you have intelligence, you are creative. But Nate never could accept himself. Never could tell anyone.

“Thomas?”

Thomas looked at Nate. Their eyes met and searched each other’s souls, searching for each other.

“..Never mind” Nate lost his courage.

“Nate, come on buddy, we’ve been best friends for 10 years! I know you like the back of my hand. I’ve been there for you during the worst and the best of times. Nate! Tell me what you’re feeling. What are you thinking? Please don’t shut me out. Nate, I love you.”

Nate could feel Thomas’ arm around his shoulders. This made him feel as if the world was in his hand, a feeling that nothing could hurt him. Everyone was okay and perfect. Nate couldn’t do it anymore. Nate has got to tell him before the move… before he loses everything.

“Thomas...” Nate’s heart was in his mouth, a feeling that death had come into his room and this is his last minute on Earth. “I’m gay.”

Nate looked to his family picture. ‘Is this it?’ he asked himself. Tears found their way back into his eyes.

Nate felt the arm around his shoulders tighten. “I know, Nate, and it doesn’t matter.”

Shaking with fear, he didn’t hear Thomas, Nate was still looking at the floor. Maybe it was a dream; maybe all of this was a dream, a bad dream. Nate was shaken out of his daydream.

“Nate, hello...” Thomas’ voice was from heaven itself, concerned.

“Nate?” he said again.

“Umm look, Nate, I don’t care that you are gay and I still love you.” Thomas looked over to see if Nate understood.

“What... what do you mean you knew?” Nate couldn’t understand what he was hearing. Everything was too much. Feeling was too much, and the color in his room was too much.

*sigh* “Your mom asked me, I told her you never said anything to me. She questioned me for awhile. Nate... Nate, look we’ve all been worried about you, your mom, Jen, June, Timmy and... me. The last few months you shut yourself off. You haven’t been acting like the Nate we know.”

“My mom asked about me?”

“Yeah she did. You have a good family. They care for you. We all care for you. You know you’re not average, Punk!”

“Everything is average with me. So... *sigh*... you’re not going to run away?” Nate was amazed that Thomas was still sitting beside him, bum to bum, leg to leg, arm draping over Nate’s shoulders. He was getting a feeling, he couldn’t understand it, and it was a mix of being the happiest person in the world, but another feeling, a gut feeling. Maybe Thomas doesn’t share the same feelings as Nate does.

“Hmm... no, your mom invited me for supper, so I’m sticking around for that.” Just as he said that, he pushed Nate off his bed. Nate looked up in disbelief. Looking at Thomas with his big grin, he knows he couldn’t be mad at him for more than a second. Thomas extended his hands to Nate, he was laughing, and just the look on Nate’s face was worth it, every minute of it. Nate got off the floor and didn’t know what to say... Everything was going too fast for him. Moving, losing his friends, COMING OUT.

“Today is the worst I’ve even had,” he whispers to himself.

Thomas walked toward the window and heard what Nate said. “It’s a bad day for me too, Nate. I’m going to lose you. After tomorrow we’re not going to see each other every day.”

“I know... This is just too much...” As Nate sat down on the loveseat, Thomas sat beside him and turned his com pad off. He didn’t want to be bothered by anyone. Knowing they’ve got a lot to talk about.

“I want to talk about us, Nate. Look, after your mom talked to me about you... I just knew then. Umm...” Thomas stops. He was trying to say it the best he could. “I see how you look at me... Maybe that’s why we get along so well, Nate.” As he musters all the courage he had. “I do love you, Nate. You are my best friend and when you leave, it’s not going to be the same. But...” He looks into Nate eyes for the last free, innocent look. “I like Jen.”

That was all he could say. Nate just sat there looking outside, his heart sank, and this was the gut feeling he had. Maybe he was so in love with Thomas he didn’t notice that Thomas was looking at Jen and spending more time with her. All Nate could do was to sit there, he was truly feeling alone. The only person he loves, the only person he cares for, the only fantasy in his dreams. But Thomas was looking at someone else.

“Nate, I know you’re hurting, I can even feel it emanating from you. We are twins, we are brothers. What you feel, I feel.” Thomas looked at Nate to see if he reacted. “I love you, but I can’t love you as a lover. I love you as best friends for life.”

Nate looked over to Thomas, their eyes met. It was as though sparks filled the room and hope was being renewed. Everything seemed so much better. Nate just reached over and wrapped his arms around Thomas’ neck.

“That all I needed, Thomas, that you love me and we can be best friends for life. I really needed that.” They embrace each other for a few minutes. Then there was a knock on the door.

“Thomas? Nate? Supper is ready.”

“Umm. Yeah okay, we’ll be down in a sec.” Nate regains his strength and controls his emotions.

“Good, I’m starving!” Thomas smiles.

“You always are,” Nate grinned and they got up. They arrived to the dining room table and sat next to each other. Nate’s dad was sitting at the head of the table, playing with Missy, Nate’s 7 year-old sister.

“Natey, we’re moving, yaaaaaa!” A high pitch squeal emanated from her, just enough that Nate had to plug his ears. Thomas just smiled at Missy, looked over to Nate and laughed.

“Yes, it’s just wonderful.” Nate didn’t want to upset Missy. Even though he hated the idea, he didn’t want to hurt his little sister. She was everything to him. Nate looked for his mom; she was standing in front of the food vendor.

“Pot Roast, with lemon, well done, honey glaze,” she command the vendor to produce the meal. No one knew how to cook, nor even touch raw meat. The vendor zapped the big pot roast onto a tray, just enough for everyone to eat. Putting the supper on the table, she sat down and looked at her family and Thomas.

“I want to say something.” She was feeling happy, she can sense Nate hasn’t accepted it yet, even Thomas was there. Everyone looked at her, waiting to hear what she had to say. Nate put his elbows on the table and closed his hands and buried his face. He was hoping for no more bad news.

“Missy, I talked to your teacher, this morning. They going to cancel all your classes and tomorrow they’re going to have a party and cake for you.” As soon this had left her tongue, Missy screamed as loud she could. Missy always loves getting attention, but to have a party for her was the best. She was ecstatic. Missy had a smile that you only see on a Holiday morning. She was giggling, laughing and could not contain herself. Nate’s mom had a massive smile on her face as Nate’s dad was trying to hold onto Missy to keep her from kicking the table. After a few moments, when Missy was able to regain control of her excitement, Nate’s Mom looked at her son.

“Nate, all you friends are exempt from classes tomorrow. You are able do anything tomorrow. Also, at the end of classes, the school is going to do something for you.”

Nate looked at his mother. He didn’t care. He was mad at his mother for protecting him. This was the biggest shock he even received. He thought to himself, ‘At least I can hang out with my friends all day.’ Nate looked at his plate and never said a word to his mom.

“Can I say something?” asked Thomas in his perkiest voice, Nate adores his voice. No matter what happens, that voice lifts his sprits.

“Sure go ahead, Thomas.” Nate’s dad said.

Nate looked at Thomas, trying to figure out what he was going to say. Knowing Thomas, he had to tell everyone he had to poop. Thomas was that unpredictable.

“Nate just told me he’s gay!”

Nate lost control of one of his elbows and his head hit his wine glass. Nate was in shock that Thomas just snitched on him about being gay. Nate freaked out and tears poured from his eyes. He looked at Thomas in disbelief. How could he do this to him?

“Thomas!” Nate screamed at him.

“NATE!” His dad shouted at Nate, loud enough to force Nate to look at him. “Nate, we don’t care if you’re gay, we still love you. Say you sorry!” His dad gave Nate a wink.

Nate turned to look at his mom. His mom had meat on her fork and placed into her mouth and chewed it slowly. She smiled. “Yeah, what he said,” nodding toward her husband.

Nate looked at Missy. Missy was smiling and looking at her brother and Thomas. Missy looked as though she was pondering inside her little head, ‘What’s between them?’

Nate looked at Thomas; he had a grin so huge that it could blind the sun, a smile to let Nate know, big deal, we’re still here. “Sorry Thomas... unpredictable you are. But why?”

Thomas looked at Nate and let his smile die “Because I’m your best friend and it was my job to make you happy!” Nate was simply stunned by the comment. He turned and looked into his plate.

He softly asked. “How long did you guys know?” Nate wasn’t directing to anyone, just anyone who wanted to answer.

“For a while, son... mothers know best and you were losing yourself; you seemed so depressed and kept so much to yourself, we knew something was going on. Your mom and I went to see someone; they told us you could be gay.” Nate looked up at his dad; his dad was in the military. Nate just couldn’t believe it was his dad who said that. He looked at Thomas, who was happily shoveling food into his mouth like the world is going to end tomorrow.

“This is the weirdest day in my life... I’m sorry I’m just not being me, I guess...”

“HERE, HERE” his mother said loudly, but had a warm grin and everything was going to be alright.

“So, you and Thomas?” Dad asked Nate.

“No sir. We’re best of friends; he didn’t want to ruin our friendship,” Thomas spoke, not missing a beat, stuffing his face betweens words.

“Good idea, your friendship is hard to come by.” Just as his dad said that, Nate heart sank, he knew what his dad said was right. Their friendship was hard to come by and they fought for it in every way, shape and form. It was a hard earned friendship. The door bell ringing broke Nate’s train of thought.

“Come in,” Nate’s dad said, after he burped.

The door open, a man walked in and said hello to everyone.

“Uncle Andy, are you coming with us to Alpha?” Missy asked. She couldn’t contain herself. She was giggling and her hands were moving fast, to the point of blurriness.

“Hehe, calm down, little girl. Yes, I’ll be coming with you. Family sticks together, right dear?”

“Uh huh.”

Uncle Andy sat down beside Nate’s mom and gave her a kiss on the cheek. “So what’s for dinner?”

“Pot Roast,” Nate’s dad answered, not looking at anyone.

Uncle Andy looked at Nate, studying him to see his reaction to the news. Uncle Andy felt sad for Nate. He knew that he would be upset if he was Nate’s age. He turned to look at his sister. “How did he take it?” he whispers softly, hoping no one hears him.

“He was angry, but... luckily, Thomas calmed him down a bit.” She looked into her brother’s eyes. Uncle Andy was an engineer, a star drive engineer. He was in his late 20s, 6 feet tall, blonde hair and blue eyes, but a bit overweight, not fat, just a belly. Uncle Andy looked away from his sister and saw everyone except Nate looking at him.

“Nate told me he’s gay.”

“Thomas, STOP THAT!” Nate shouted at Thomas, he was shocked that Thomas couldn’t keep his mouth shut. Nate looked at Thomas and was ready to jump on him and stuff his mouth with pot roast..

“NATE!” his dad shouted.

“WHAT? I CAN’T DEFEND MYSELF? I CAN’T MAKE MY OWN DECISIONS? I’M ONLY A CHILD? DON’T I HAVE A f**kIN SAY IN THE FAMILY?” Nate was angry, you could hear it in his voice. He’s lost everything, nothing can stop it.

Nate’s father slammed his hand on the table so violently that it shook the plates.

“NATE, DO NOT SWEAR IN FRONT OF YOUR MOTHER! NO, YOU DON’T HAVE A SAY!” Nate’s dad looked sternly at him. The military finally came out. He’s the boss, he commands respect and order.

“I NEVER DID, SCREW THIS FAMILY!” Nate jumped up, knocking over his chair, and ran into his room. He slammed the door hard enough for the pictures to fall down. Nate crashed on his bed.

Few seconds later, his dad entered the room. He saw his son lying on the bed, covering his face. He could hear him crying into the pillow, saw his lungs were filling and exiting hard enough for his body to shake. Nate dad calmed down and took a breath. He sat on the bed, waiting for Nate to expel his emotions. He knew if he spoke it will make it worst. He rested his hand on Nate’s back. Just to let him know that he was there. Few minutes later, there was a light knock on the door. As the door opened he saw his wife looking in. He nodded and she left. Nate heard the door close; he turned around and saw his dad sitting beside him. He couldn’t look at his father, just couldn’t, knowing the outburst they had. He’d rather forget it. His father looked at him,

*sigh* “Nate, this isn’t the easiest decision I’ve made.” He paused. “Nate, if I didn’t do something, they were going to put me out of the military.”

Nate looked at his father. ‘So that’s why we’re going on the colony projects,’ he thought. Knowing Uncle Andy tried without success to find a job, how was his father going to find one? We’ve been living off the system. Now he was losing his placement in the private school. They were losing this apartment.

“Why Dad? Why didn’t you talk to me?” Nate asked, holding back his tears.

“Nate, I don’t know...” He paused. “I was afraid we’d lose everything. I didn’t want to be homeless. I don’t want to see my son begging for food.” He looked away, remembering all the talks with his wife a week ago. “Nate you’re not a child; you’re becoming a man. You told everyone you’re gay. Not everyone can do that, you’ve got bigger balls than most of the men under my command.”

“Well Dad, I doubt that, I’m just,” Nate stopped, searching the right words, “feeling weak.” He saw his dad bending over to wrap his arms around his son. Nate lifted himself up and hugged his father. “Dad?”

“Yeah son?”

“Sorry about before, umm, the shouting,” Nate knew he was in deep trouble. That just something you don’t do in this household.

His father looked into his son’s eyes, searching his feelings, trying to get a read from his only son. “Nate, you needed to vent it out, you were holding it in.” He paused, his tone changed, a tone of commands. “Don’t you ever do that again. Understand?” Nate just nodded knowing he was getting off easy. They left the room and entered the dining room.

“Finally he came out. Where you been hiding?” Uncle Andy laugh out loud, he couldn’t hold it in. He just laughed as hard as he could.

Nate looked up and couldn’t help himself. He broke into a smile and he started to feel relieved, to feel released. “I’m sorry, Mom, Uncle Andy.” He looked over to his mom and she was staring at him.

Then she looked at her husband. She can read him like a book, after spending 16 years with someone you love, you gain an extra skill. “It’s fine, honey, just eat your supper. It’s getting cold.” She returned to her dinner.

Nate looked over to Missy, She was avoiding his eyes. Missy was heartbroken; she had never seen this monster come out of her big brother. She was afraid of him, she keep quiet and still just to keep the monster away.

“Missy?”

She didn’t respond to Nate calling. Nate was heartbroken, he knew she was scared of him.. He couldn’t do anything. He felt helpless. He wished he never screamed at his dad. Nate dropped his chin and looked at his plate, his food was cold now. He picked at his food, not talking, just feeling bad about Missy. Everyone was talking, but even Thomas’ voice wasn’t picking up his spirits.

Everyone got up when they finished the meal and start to pile into the living room. There was enough room for everyone. Nate sat in the chair he was in when the news hit him. Nate’s mom and dad sat on the loveseat. Thomas, Uncle Andy and Missy sat on the couch. Nate looked over to the dining table and saw that the computer had zapped everything away, clearing the table.

“Dan, I want to say thank you for getting me into the colony projects,” Uncle Andy was saying while tickling Missy with his right hand. Uncle Andy had been looking for a job for the last three years. He was at the top of his class, but there were no ships leaving the solar system at that time. He knew he had a long shot getting a job on the colony ships.

“Well, we had decided to leave Earth and try to setup a new life on Alpha.” Dan looked over to his wife and kissed her on the lips. Dan loved his wife since the day they met. He pulled away. “Because I’m going to be the security on Destiny, families get first priority.” Dan paused and looked towards Missy and smiles “Nate and Missy, they needed their Uncle.”

“Thank you, I truly mean it. Do you know what I’ll be doing?”

“No. we’ll find out everything on Monday. Meet us here around 8 and we’ll go over and get all the information and get everything sorted.”

Uncle Andy nodded and turned back to tickle Missy.

“What is this ship... Destiny?” Thomas asked Dan. He was curious, knowing that his buddy was going to be on a ship for awhile.

Uncle Andy spoke up, “Well I don’t know much, but it’s a new ship that they just designed. It has the newest Star drive. I think it can carry 250 to 300 people.” He was thinking, trying to recall the specs of the ship.

“Well, is it safe?” Thomas knew they stopped building these star drive ships because of a hull failure four years ago. 142 people died when the bulkheads collapsed. From then on, no more ships were built and the shipments of settlers and cargo to Alpha stopped. For the first time in a hundred years, everyone on Earth stopped what they were doing and said a pray or sang a song of tribute. For the first time, everyone in the world was holding their breath and holding each other.. Humanity is a powerful emotion.

“Yes, they have redesigned everything, made it safer, bigger, better and faster,” Uncle Andy informed Thomas, trying to reassure all that it would be a safe trip.

“Faster? How much faster?” asked Nate.

“Well Nate, it still will take time getting there.”

“How much?” Nate perked up, hoping the technology would make it a quicker trip. Nate was dreading the long trip, a trip that can drive men mad.

“Under two years, Nate.”

Nate looked at his Uncle and blinked once. He hadn’t thought it would take that long. Nate would never volunteer for this trip. Not in a million years.

“TWO YEARS!” Nate shouted in disbelief. Two years, stuck on a ship with 200 other people. Nate started to feel tightness in his chest. Looking at the floor, he was wondering how his father could do this to him. Two years, TWO FREAKIN YEARS!

“Nate, I did a three year tour on the outer rim of our solar system,” Dan said, trying to assured Nate that it’s just a long field trip.

“That dandy, Dad, you chose to go, I’m just pushed into it,” Nate sharply snaps at his dad. Then he remembered that Missy is scared of him. Knowing that he lowed his voice and repeated himself.

“Son, it will be worth it. That’s how I met your mom. When we got back to Earth you were born. Son, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.” Dan looked into his wife eyes and gave her a peck on her lips. Nate knew he couldn’t argue against that.

“Besides, this ship has a lot more features than the old ones. The people of Earth stood up and demanded the ships should be fit for travel and fit for people.”

“Meaning what?” Thomas looked at Uncle Andy. Thomas had always been into ship design and planned to go to engineer school after he finished high school.

“The ships are three times bigger, with half the crew. They designed it so it can be comfortable. They have gyms, a pool, family units, single units, movie theater, it’s like a cruise ship,” Uncle Andy said as he tried to remember the details. Excited to be on the crew of the newest starship, he couldn’t wait and he downloaded all the information he could get his hands on. Simply put, the ship was beautiful! A masterpiece. They really out did themselves.

As Thomas and Uncle Andy talked over the details, Nate looked into the fire place and got sucked into deep thought. ‘Maybe I’ll be the only 15 year-old in this ship, I might be the only kid, Christ! I’ll be a virgin when we land on this blue planet. 17 years old. Everyone I know will be finishing college and what am I going to do once there, plant fields? I think not.’

“Why do I have to go to new school, since I’m done with my old one tomorrow?” Missy asked her mom, breaking Nate’s daydream.

“Huh?! What did she say?” Nate asked. He wanted to make sure that he heard right. How come he has to say goodbye to everyone tomorrow and go to another school? Why couldn’t he stay where he was?

“This isn’t school as you think of it, dear. It’s for people to learn about the ship and how to run it.” Dan told Missy but looked at Nate. Dan knew Nate heard Missy.

“Oh, it’s a special school. COOL!” Missy filled up with pride, knowing that not everyone can go to this school.

“Kinda, dear. You start on Tuesday with Nate.” Mom was smiling at Missy. She didn’t want to look at Nate because he would give her the look.

“Well Beth, Dan, I’m going head out and get some sleep. This is our last weekend to enjoy some peace.” Beth nodded and stepped up and gave her brother a hug. Dan stepped up too, but only gave Uncle Andy a handshake.

After Uncle Andy left the apartment, Beth looked at Thomas. “Are you staying tonight?”

Thomas smiled at Beth then looked at Nate then returned to Beth. “No, Ma’am. I doubt Nate’s going get any sleep and I want to keep my virginity!” Thomas smiled at Beth. Nate looked at Thomas and threw a pillow at him, hitting him in the head.

“Good lord.” Beth walked away. She didn’t want to know anything about that.

“Well boys, have a good night,” Dan said as he disappeared down the hallway with his wife. Missy was following them closely.

Nate and Thomas heard the doors close and at last they were alone again.

“Thomas, what do you think about all of this?” It was just a question, but you could hear Nate’s voice filled with uncertainly.

“I don’t know Nate, it’s a trip of a lifetime....” he paused “f**k, I’m going to lose my best friend. I guess I feel left out.” Nate just nodded at Thomas, knowing he had the same thing on his mind.

There was a silence in the room, a deafening silence. They just realized what was going to happen to their friendship. Even with today’s best subspace array, it would take four years to send a message planet to planet. Thomas rose up from the couch and walked toward the door. Nate followed him. Thomas turned around.

“Look Nate, I will tell everyone else tomorrow so you don’t have to. Please let me do it, you don’t need to see them cry or get angry.” Nate looked into Thomas eyes and nodded his approval.

They hugged each other. Holding on to each other, knowing tomorrow is the last day to be school buddies. “Damn it! Tomorrow we’re going to have fun!!” Nate’s voice cracked, his emotions were getting the best of him.

“Will do, will do.”

After that, Thomas headed out the door. The door closed softly and Nate looked at it, stared at it. He slowly walked down the hallway and entered his bedroom. He stripped down to his underwear and slipped under the covers. Folding his arms under his head, he looked up at the ceiling, thinking. ‘Tomorrow is going to be hard,’ he said to himself, then his eyes got heavy, his breathing slowed down. Nate was asleep.

Copyright 2009 to 2010 by Hawkeye
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You certainly know how to start off a story! The beginning was great -- it hooked me right in. I feel for Nate's situation, and how hard it must be to move away from a place that he loved so much, although I felt that some of the emotions were a bit overdone.

 

Good job, ima continue readdinnggg

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..