Jump to content
    hh5
  • Author
  • 1,860 Words
  • 730 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Short Stories - 5. The Hand that Feeds You, Needs You – Jeffrey and Sally

This story is about a brother that leaves for college. Leaving behind his family and his lover not knowing that there is price to pay.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Copyright © 2004,2008 by hh5

“The Hand that Feeds You, Needs You" – Jeffrey and Sally
08-20-04 12:37 AM

Jeffery had just finished packing his stuff. He was ready to fly out to start his first year in college back east. He sat at his desk to jot down his letters.

One to Mom, if she ever becomes sane enough to read it;
One to Dad, if he ever gets off my case about this last week;
One to Sis, my only sis, be kind to yourself and watch your back;
One to my Love, who could not come to see me off, this one last time.

Jeffery was all in tears because today he will be leaving the life he led here in Kansas. He wiped his tears quickly as his little sis came in and plop herself on his already made bed.

Sally asked, "Why are you crying?"

Jeffery sorely spoke, “I am not crying!!!”

Sally, a bit pissed, said “Yes you are and don't give me that bullshit!!! Jeffery!!!” as if Jeffery really hurt her feelings for not wanting to tell the truth. Sally and Jeffrey were always honest with each other and she could not stand a lie not from her friends or from her older brother.

But, there was no fooling little sis. She was right and wise beyond her years. Jeffery told Sally why he was crying and she listened and listened; she got up on top of his nicely made bed to hug her big brother and she whispered in his ear something very profound.

She then kissed him and scooted off to play. Jeffery was puzzled at what she said. He muttered to himself, “She always has this way with me and I never get it the first time around. Now she really left me with a dozy that will take me all sometime to solve.”

The taxi honked his horn. Jeffery went out to meet the taxi and greeted the driver and informed him that he had boxes to bring with him. The driver helped Jeffery with the boxes and loaded up the taxi and left.

Jeffery boarded the plane and he was off to the east coast.

It’s a year and 7 months later.

Jeffery was getting out of the communal shower when his roommate George came rushing in to tell him to come to the phone quickly. It was Dad; he said to come home immediately and the ticket is at the airport and he hung up. Jeffery was puzzled ... he never got along with his father after mom went Looney.

So Jeffery got dressed and went on campus and to make the necessary arrangements for his absence. He left for the airport and boarded the plane. When he landed, Dad was there to pick him up and they drove home with not a word spoken. Mom was home, which was quite a surprise. She spoke clearly and sanely, which was a miracle. She spoke with great strength to her son like Sally did for him.

She told him, "Little Sally is gone and she asks me to watch over you, my son"

Jeffery cried in his mother arms.

Dad joined them and said, "I am sorry son, I know how much she meant to you."

Jeffery broke down and cried his heart out.

Dad said, "Sally told me to listen to whatever you have to say to me and not be a stubborn ass."

Jeffery was stunned and though “Dad is going to listen to me and Mom is going to support me?? This is weird. But, I will take this chance for Sally.”

Suddenly Jeffery remembered what Sally said to him, and he followed her words. Jeffery had a good cry with his mom and dad. Then Jeffery stopped and started to speak ... "Dad ... mom ... what I have to say is very important to you two and Sally knows it too." His Mom and Dad sat down and held each other like Jeffery remembered years ago before Sally was born.

Jeffrey spoke as calmly as he could, "Sally was the only one who kept me going all these years. If it wasn’t for her I would not be here."

Mom gave Jeffery a handkerchief and Jeffery blew into it hard. Mom and dad were so puzzled about what Sally had done for Jeffery all these years and why does it sound like our son was trying to expire? Then the doorbell rang. It was Benny. Jeffery welcomed his friend in and asks him to sit near him as he talks with his parents.

Jeffery introduces, “Mom... Dad ... This is Benny ... he’s my boyfriend ... I sorry mom and dad … “I'm GAY!!”"

Jeffery sat and Benny hugged him and kissed him.

Mom and dad just held each other and not a word was said and kissed too.

The next day was the funeral and Jeffery asked the pastor towards the end of the service if he could sing for his sister one last time. The pastor agreed, for Jeffery was one of his best choir boy years ago.

Jeffery spoke from the heart where his sister’s love resides, “My sister had two songs that she always cherished and I like to share them with you and her one last time. My sister and I always sang this song when we were together or when we are apart. We sang it to remind each other that out there we love each other like the time I was at camp and she was in the hospital. My friend and lover, Ben, will sing her part in her absence.”

“Ben ...”

SOMEWHERE OUT THERE (Fivel)

b Somewhere out there
b Beneath the pale moonlight
b Someone's thinkin' of me
b And loving me tonight

g Somewhere out there
g Someone's saying a prayer
g That we'll find one another
g In that big somewhere out there

b And even though I know how very far apart we are
b It helps to think we might be wishin' on the same bright star
g And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby
g It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky

t Somewhere out there
t and if love can see us through
t Then we'll be together
t Somewhere out there
t Out where dreams come true

Jeffrey paused for the moment to wipe the tears from his eyes and spoke, “My sister would always get better and I would always be stronger for her when she gets out of the hospital. We would play and play and play until she felt like home was the best place to be.”

Jeffery sighed and continued, “Whenever I was in doubt in my life or there was in doubt in her life, we would sing this next song to each other to inspire each other about going on.”

Jeffery sang this song with all the hope that Sally gave him.

Make me a channel of your peace. (Jamie Shaw)

Make me a channel of your peace.
Where there is hatred let me bring your love.
Where there is injury, or your pardon, Lord
And may this statue faith in you.

Make me a channel of your peace
Where there's despair in life, let me bring hope
Where there is darkness, only light
And where there's sadness, ever joy.

Oh, Master grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console
To be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love with all my soul.

Make me a channel of your peace
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned
It is giving of ourselves that we receive
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

Oh, Master grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console
To be understood as to understand
To be loved where as to love with all my soul.

Make me a channel of your peace
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned
It is giving of ourselves that we receive
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

Benny held Jeffrey until he caught up with his emo and sighed, “She always had much for me when I was very sad. As much as I had for her when she was... *sob* ... in pain.” Jeffery cried and held Benny again and signed again, “Mom & Dad, Sally always had a lot of love for us all. This was her song to us ...”

Jeffery sang this song with all his heart and with Sally’s love like he never sang this much emotion for someone at all.

My Time On Earth (Billy Gilman)

My time on Earth
Long as it seems
Is just a moment?
In the grand scheme of things

A short refrain
Of life's endless song
Sung only once
And then we're gone

My time on Earth
Each breath I breathe
Is one more chance to share my love
With those around me

We come and go
Like shooting stars
The truth be known,
That's all we are

The more that I know
The more I can see
The older I grow
The more I believe
It's not the length of the life
Or the depth of the grave
In the end we'll be measured
By the love that we gave

So my time on Earth
On fate depends
But all that happens
In the space we're meant to live

Depends on me
And choices I face
For better or worse
They're mine to make

The more that I know
The more I can see
The older I grow
The more I believe
It's not the length of the life
Or the depth of the grave
In the end we'll be measured
By the love that we gave

So my time on Earth
Will be well spent
And when I leave this world
I'll leave with no regrets

I'll live and love
For all its worth
'Till I live out
My time on Earth

'Till I live out my time on Earth.

Jeffery practically collapsed after finishing the song, but his mom and dad were right behind him to support him. Jeffery looked to his mom and dad, "Mom, Dad - Her Last words to me to give to you should this moment come is ... “. Jeffrey took a deep breath and said, “The Hand that Feeds You, Needs You."

Then suddenly it all made sense and Jeffery spoke with a flash had gone through his mind, “She feed us all love, and when she needed us we were there for her.”

Jeffery, Mom and Dad all spoke in their most loving voice to all the members of the church, "We Love you Sally!!! Thank you for being our angel!!!"

Thanks to Brian for the lovely quote that inspired this series of short stories.

Thanks to my cousin LFS for having much love and faith in me more than I ever had in myself. She surprised me about how much she like this story when I had many doubts to how good it is.

Big thanks to all who find this writing inspiring in their lives.

Copyright © 2010 hh5; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..