Jump to content
    hh5
  • Author
  • 593 Words
  • 806 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Short Stories - 6. The Hand that Feeds You, Needs You

This is a simple story about a teen who ran away from home.

* An EMO kid named Brian gave me this quote that he learn in church with his boyfriend.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Copyright © 2004,2008 by hh5

The Hand that Feeds You, Needs You

07-28-04 02:05 AM

There was a boy who had doubts about the life he led.

He was afraid, for he did not know what lay ahead.

He cried many times to the Lord to help him change what he believed was deeply wrong within him.

He heard nothing but unanswered prayers.

He fell asleep hoping that he might hear the answer on another day.

When the boy woke, he decided to seek his answer for himself; he prepared for his journey and left the motel.

It’s Sunday.

So the boy stopped by the church to hear the Sunday message.

The Message was …

The hand of God is a gentle hand.
He holds you,
He hugs you,
He loves you with his gentle hands.

Be careful not to bite the hand that feeds you.

The boy cried because the hands of his father had broken his spirit.

Because he had fought with his parents, he was ashamed.

He left the church to cry in private.

He continued his journey; a journey whose end he could not see.

As the boy crossed a bridge, he heard a cry for help.

The boy saw an old man struggling in the river and heard his cries.

No one but him heard those cries.

The boy was afraid. He could not rescue the man; he could not swim.

But the boy dove in, anyway, in order to rescue the old man.

The boy caught hold of a drifting old log in the water and paddled to the old man.

He stretched out his hand to him and

yelled, "Here, old man, take my hand"

and the old man took hold of his hand.

The boy pulls the old man on to the log.

He said to the old man, “Hold on” as he paddled them to safety.

They reached the shore, and there old man

spoke with his last breath, "The hand that feeds you, needs you."

The boy cried because he was frustrated that his rescue efforts fail to save the man from a pointless death whose words cut into his hurting heart that bleeds out his sorrows.

At the boy’s home, his parents cried and blamed themselves …

Day after day they cried for their son who had run away.

They loved their son but did not know how to tell him nor show him how they truly love him.

They prayed that he be safe.

Night after night, week after week, they went to bed with their prayers unanswered.

In the morning sunrise the parents woke up.

They heard a sound.

The father went down to see …

He found a boy crying at the front door.

Weeping, and baring his soul for all who would see.

It was their son; a miracle that a prayer has been answered.

The parents hugged their child before the world.

The child spoke, the old man’s last words, "The hands that feeds you, needs you."

And then he hugged his parents

and said "I am sorry, mom and dad ... But I am gay."

But his parents said “Don’t be ashamed for now we know and will always love you from deep within our hearts."

I remembered how much pain Brian had in him there was enough to make him runaway.

I modeled this story after him. The irony of the story the parents he left and the parents he returned to aren't the same parents.

In real life Brian was saved by his boyfriends parents.

*The bridge is symbolic to the point of no return for the boy. If the boy had cross over, his Parents would have never heard from him again.

* Special thanks to David McLeod for his editing and suggestions

Copyright © 2010 hh5; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..