Jump to content
    *HJ*
  • Author
  • 3,489 Words
  • 2,786 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Always - 17. Vendettas Deepen

Things heat up...

Drew was shocked to say the least that Mike and Brett were gay. As he sat there next to Luke he felt relieved that they were no threat to them. Brett and Mike had very addicting personalities. They would talk and laugh, they both loved playful banter and being around them was a refreshing twist to their current situation. He felt relaxed around the couple and he could tell Luke did as well.

Luke had fitted himself into Drew’s side. He had known Mike and Brett for years, but he never suspected them to be involved with each other. There really weren’t many times he had seen them separated. However, both Mike and Brett were active in the dating scene. As far as he knew it was never anything serious and now he knew why.

What caught both Drew and Luke’s attention were Brett and Mike’s last three words. Luke sat up straight and so did Drew. Curiosity was burning in their eyes.

“What do you mean you can help?” asked Luke.

Mike smiled, “The big mystery with David is that no one knows why he wants to kill you, right?”

“Well, we have been doing some talking about that,” Drew said as he looked over at Luke.

Brett and Mike raised their eyebrows.

“I think David is Gay,” Drew said.

Mike and Brett let out a laugh. Luke gave Drew and ‘I told you so’ look and Drew just rolled his eyes. However, Brett’s next words caught both Drew and Luke off guard.

“Tell, us something we don’t know,” Brett laughed.

“Brett’s mom works at the mayor’s house as one of the maids. She cleans all the rooms including David’s.”

“Wait a sec, Babe,” Brett said and then looked at Drew. “What makes you think David is gay?” he asked.

“Well we don’t have any hard evidence, but I have a theory,” Drew replied.

Brett seemed to be interested. His eyes were filled with curiosity and he nodded in anticipation for Drew to continue. Drew repeated his theory to Brett and Mike and they looked at each other surprised. For a moment they all sat there in silence mulling over the possible situation.

Just as the third minute of silence passed they heard a great rumble of thunder and lightning followed.

“Shit, when did it get so dark outside?” Mike asked as he got up from Brett’s lap and walked to the window. “It’s only like five o’clock.”

Drew glanced out the window and a bit of worry worked its way into his system. Something was off. Mike turned around and looked at them.

“Looks like this is going to be a big one boys,” Mike said.

“Mike can you switch on the television. Maybe we can get the weather,” Drew said as he felt Luke shiver in his arms.

Mike walked over and switched on the 60 inch television and found the local weather station. He stood beside the chair in which Brett sat as the local weather girl told of the impending storm.

A tornado watch was in effect for their area. 60 mph winds were expected along with golf ball sized hail. The wind had already begun to pick up. Drew reached into his pocket and pulled out his keys and tossed them to Mike.

“Can you pull my car in the garage, yours too. Golf ball sized hail can be Hell on your car,” Drew said.

“What about your mom?” Mike asked.

“She’ll be on call in a storm like this. I’ll call just in case but go ahead and pull the cars in.”

“Do you have a flash light and candles here?” Brett asked.

“Yeah, in the kitchen the cabinet above the sink.”

Brett hurried into the kitchen and Mike headed toward the cars. Drew looked at Luke who was looking out the window. The lighting flickered again and the thunder crashed, shaking the entire house.

“I bet Jeff is on his way to Rose’s house,” Drew laughed.

“Yeah, he won’t be at his place at a time like this,” Luke said a bit expressionless.

Brett came out of the kitchen with the candle’s and the flashlights. They could hear the wind howling and the garage door opening in the back ground. Brett lit the candles and place the flash lights on the coffee table. Mike made it back in just as it began to rain. Drew had dialed Jane to confirm that she would be on call; he was right.

“Man, the sky looks like night of the twisters out there,” Mike said tossing Drew his keys.

“Well, there isn’t much to do but wade it out,” said Brett.

Drew agreed and they all took back their seats. The rain pounded restlessly against the roof and the wind and hail came with a vengeance.

“I can’t see how Drew’s theory makes sense,” Brett said, trying to distract from the howling of the storm.

“I agree,” chimed Mike.

At that moment Drew’s phone rang. He retrieved it from his pocket and looked at the caller ID. No name. He answered,

“Hello?”

Silence….

“Hello?”

“Drew?” A raspy voice asked.

“Yeah, who is this?”

Drew heard some background noise that he couldn’t make out and then the line went dead. He hung up the phone and put it back into his pocket with a confused expression.

“What’s wrong? Who was it?” Luke asked looking at him with his eyebrows lowered in confusion.

“I don’t know,” Drew said in a baffled tone.

Just at that moment the lights flickered a few times and then went out. The storm was picking up and Drew’s mind was racing about his previous phone call.

“There goes the power. Well, back to your theory,” said Mike.

Drew shook the cobwebs from his head, and pulled himself back into reality.

“I just can’t see Tyler ever being with David. I mean Tyler had better taste then that. Besides, the night he died wasn’t David trying to beat him to a pulp?” Brett questioned. “You don’t beat the person you love into a pulp. It just isn’t done dude.”

“Thank you,” Luke exclaimed. “I told you your theory had holes in it.”

“Your guy has a point. Besides, I think David is the one who killed him,” Mike spoke.

“I agree,” nodded Brett.

“I am sticking to my theory. I think there is another person involved in this and who ever that is killed Tyler.”

Brett, Mike, and Luke shook their heads. They weren’t going for it. They knew David and there was no way he was with Tyler. They also knew he was capable of murder…

“I have a question,” said Drew. “I know my reason for thinking David is gay but what are your reasons?”

“Oh, please. Mom has been finding gay porn magazines under his mattress since he was twelve,” Brett laughed.

Their thoughts however were interrupted by the sounds of warning sirens. The thunder cracked and the lighting flashed

“Shit! I’m headed for the bath tub!” Exclaimed Brett as he shoved Mike off his lap and took off through the kitchen.

Mike laughed as he picked himself up off the floor, “I’m right behind you Babe! No, that’s okay you didn’t hurt me at all when you shoved me into the floor!”

“It’s the third door to you right, Brett,” called Drew.

“He gets a bit skittish when his life is on the line,” Mike said, going for a bit of comic relief.

“I wonder why,” Laughed Drew as the hurriedly made their way into the bathroom.

Sure enough Brett had jumped into the bathtub, and was clutching his flashlight. He was only trying to keep the mood light, or so he wanted them to think. He knew that things would be much worse if everyone began to panic. Mike laughed and told him to scoot over. They lay in the tub while Luke and Drew sat in front of it.

“Fuck man, it sounds like world war three out there!” said Brett.

“Well, since they sounded the sirens I would say there is probably a big ass twister out there,” said Mike.

“I just hope no one gets killed,” said Drew.

“Let’s just hope the sirens weren’t signaling a tornado,” said Luke.

They all just silently nodded. Drew draped his arm around Luke’s shoulders and sighed. They heard a loud crash outside and the sound of shattering glass.

“Great, there went a window,” said Drew.

“Maybe that snake will get sucked out,” said Luke going for Brett and Mike’s comic relief.

“I don’t think we will get that lucky,” Laughed Drew.

“There is a snake in here!?” Mike said and Brett busted out laughing.

“No, my mom has a pet one in her room.”

The howling got louder. Nevertheless, they sat there and tried to stay as calm as possible as they heard the sound of falling timber and twisting metal. There was no doubt in Drew’s mind what was outside and what it was doing. He heard the sound of more shattering glass, and for a moment the house seemed if the walls just may collapse. Then suddenly all was calm. The boys all looked at each other as they listened to the light rain on the roof top.

“Is it over?” asked Brett.

“I don’t know it sounds like it,” said Drew as he stood up.

Luke got to his feet and gave Brett and Mike a hand out of the tub. Drew cautiously opened the door and breathed a sigh of relief when he saw that the house was still intact.

They decided it was safe to venture outside and survey the damage. Thankfully, there wasn’t much damage done to the house except a few broken windows, a few missing shingles and some cracked siding. However they were the lucky ones. There were trees and power lines down throughout the neighborhood. Trees had crushed cars along with houses and a down power line sent sparks flying across the blacktop in the road.

Drew looked over towards Mrs. Stevenson’s house. The house looked unharmed but for all he knew the old woman could have had a heart attack. He got the urge to check and make sure she was alright. He decided to leave Mike and Brett in the drive. ‘If the storm didn’t kill her, a hoard of huge boxers showing up at her door might, he thought.

“Were going to check on the neighbor. She’s a bit old and I want to be sure she’s okay,” Drew said as he saw Luke nod from the corner of his eye.

Brett and Mike showed their understanding as Luke and Drew made their way across the debris filled yards to her front door. Drew gave a loud knock and they waited. After a minute or two the door opened and Mrs. Stevenson smiled at the sight of her visitors.

“Oh, hello, I see you came to check on the old biddy next door. I’m glad you felt the need to check on me.” She looked up at Luke with her wrinkled eyes and smiled. “My boy you look just like your mother. Give me a hug youngin’.”

Luke smiled and hugged the woman’s tiny withered frame. When he raised up Drew placed a hand on Luke’s shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

“Do you need anything?” Luke asked with a smile.

“Oh, no. I’m fine you boys hurry home now and get inside. You,” She pointed at Luke, “better not make yourself a stranger here. That goes or you too, Young man,” She patted Drew’s arm with a smile and then turned and made her way back into her house.

Drew and Luke smiled at each other and made their way back to Mike and Brett.

“Was she alright?” Mike asked.

“Yeah, she is a tough one,” Drew said and then looked around. “I don’t think you guys should try and make your way home tonight. There must be trees and power lines down everywhere.”

“Yeah, you’re right. I’ll call my parents and let them know we are all okay,” Mike said.

Brett nodded and pulled out his phone to do the same. Drew looked at Luke and pulled out his own phone and tossed it to Luke. Luke read his mind and immediately called Jeff to make sure he had made it to Rose’s house before the storm hit. Drew waited nervously for the news and Brett and Mike and finished their calls. When they shoved the phones in their pockets he filled Mike and Brett in on his and Luke’s worries about Jeff.

Luke had a sad look on his face when he handed Drew his phone back. Drew nudged him back into the house and closed the door. A million scenarios were running through his mind as he waited for Luke to speak.

“Jeff’s alright, he made it to Rose’s,” Luke said.

“Alright, but what else. Something is wrong I can feel it,” Drew said.

“Jeff’s trailer was destroyed…” Luke looked at Drew with sad eyes. “Jeff lost his father tonight.”

“How old is Jeff?” Drew asked.

“Eighteen,” Luke replied.

Drew let out a sigh. At least he won’t be forced into a home, Drew thought. Although, it wasn’t like Rose was going to let him out of her sight or grasp for that matter anyway.

“Were they close?” Drew asked.

Luke shook his head, “They kept their distance from each other after his Mom died. His dad didn’t stay sober a lot.”

“What is it with fathers in this town? Is there something in the water?” Brett asked trying to lift the mood, but failed miserably.

Mike intertwined his fingers with Brett’s and gave him a smile. However, everyone was pretty much silent for a long while. The power had yet to come on, and under normal circumstances things would have been very boring, but nothing was normal anymore. Everyone had their own thoughts to investigate.

Drew broke first.

“Alright, my stomach thinks my mouth has left town! Who wants to help me raid the kitchen and figure out what we can fix without modern technology?”

Mike volunteered, “Let’s leave the women to talk.”

Drew laughed as Brett flipped Mike the bird.

“He is really protective of you,” said Brett after Mike and Drew were out of ear shot.

Luke snapped out of his daze and turned his attention to his new ally.

“Yeah, but you can understand why,” Luke replied. “I don’t mind though. I never had anyone who ever bothered to care so it’s nice.” Luke paused for a minute and then smiled. “Doesn’t hurt that I’m head over heels for him though.”

“I think that is the most I have ever heard you speak before,” Brett smiled.

Luke smiled at the joke. He was finally talking again, laughing, and even though everything was out of whack…it seemed alright. He thought about how nice it felt to have friends again, and to know someone else who was like him…He had never really given the gay subject much thought before. He really just accepted it, but now that he was thinking about it he realized how nice it was to have people to relate to. He figured Drew thought the same and Brett and Mike as well.

“All this time and we never even thought about you being gay. You hide it well, or at least you used to.” Brett laughed.

Luke laughed half heartedly.

Drew and Mike ended up fixing cold turkey sandwiches and chips. It was a bit after seven when the boys sat back with satisfied stomachs and heavy eye lids. The power was still out and didn’t look like it was about to come alive again anytime soon. Luke yawned and Drew did so as well. Mike and Brett had let their eyes shut and Drew spoke,

“I think we should hit the sack. I’m bushed and it looks like you guys are too.”

They nodded.

“You guys can sleep in the guest room. The beds made, just make your selves at home. If you get hungry you can ransack the kitchen.” Drew got a grin on his face and spoke again, “Try not to wake up Mrs. Henderson next door with your loud moaning alright? She has a weak heart.”

Luke laughed and Mike and Brett turned a bit pink. Drew showed them their room and then he returned to his and Luke’s room. Luke had already stripped down to his red boxers and was sitting on the edge of the bed waiting on Drew.

Drew shed all of his clothes except his matching pair of red boxers and sat down on the bed beside Luke. As soon as Drew put his arm around Luke’s shoulders the events of the day crashed down on Luke and he melted into Drew’s warm embrace. Drew could feel Luke’s silent tears as they dampened his skin. For a few moments Drew just held Luke before they finally laid down and covered up.

As Drew laid there in the cool sheets with Luke’s warm body pressed against his he began to think about the phone call. Who was it? One of David’s lackeys? Jordan? Just the thought that the call might have been from Jordan made his body feel like a live wire. The thought of Jordan being alive…still trying to escape…

Luke noticed the quickened pace of Drew’s heart and sat up on an elbow to face him. Drew wiped the tears from Luke’s face with his hand and smiled at him. Luke gave him a concerned look.

“Do you think it was Jordan?”

Drew let out a sigh, “I don’t know. It didn’t sound like him, but his voice could have broken since the last time I heard it...there could also be other things affecting it…”

Luke wiped a tear from Drew’s cheek before removing his arm from under him. Drew gave him a confused look, but Luke just smiled.

“It’s my turn to comfort you,” Luke replied as he pulled Drew into his comforting embrace.

Drew smiled and laid his head on Luke’s chest and closed his eyes. He was normally the one to hold Luke. Having Luke hold him was wonderful and intimate on a whole new level. The feeling of Luke’s arms around him seemed to melt his stress away. Soon his breathing deepened and Luke knew he was asleep. Luke closed his eyes; satisfied Drew was sleeping. He listened to the rain fall softly outside the window and after awhile he too drifted off into a dreamless land.

In the morning Mike and Brett left early. Jane came home sometime in the wee hours of the morning tired, and weary. She had seen way too much tragedy from the storm. She crawled into bed and just slept a dreamless sleep. She was still asleep when Luke and Drew awoke. They decided it was best to stay at home for the day. They knew that Rose and Jeff wouldn’t be attending school and knew Jane would have no objections about them going to comfort Jeff about the loss of his father.

As Drew and Luke drove to Rose’s house they observed the devastation to the small town. Trees had fallen onto stores and houses. One of those stores included the Townsend Hardware store. ‘Karma,’ thought Drew.

Some of the houses lay in splintery piles while others lay almost untouched. The owners of the now splintery piles were sifting through the debris looking for pieces of their lives. The sight was eerie and tragic. It was almost as if that swirling tail of the devil chose it victims.

When they reached Rose’s house her father and mother were picking up debris out of the front lawn and Jeff and Rose were sitting on the white porch swing. Jeff’s face was sullen, and Rose had her head resting against his shoulder as he stared at the cherry stained, floor of the porch.

Luke and Drew exited the car and made their way up the wooden steps to the white wicker rocking chairs that sat across from the swing. They took their seats and sat in a poignant silence. Drew never was one for silence especially when it involved death. He believed talking about it was always better.

“How ya’ holding up buddy?” asked Drew.

“I don’t know man,” Jeff sighed looking up at Drew. “After Mom passed he stayed Drunk all the time and violent. I never really thought I would care, but it’s just so different now that he’s actually gone. I just don’t know what to feel.”

“No one can tell you what to feel. You have to figure that out on your own. Just know that we are all here for you,” said Drew.

Jeff just nodded and looked away. That was when they all heard the loud ear piercing scream… and then they saw the blood. Rose fell to the ground.

Copyright © 2013 *HJ*; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, I have already said one chapter was my favorite, but I can say it for two if I want too. It is my review, so I can say what I want. lol This was a very interesting and revealing chapter girl. Gets better and better

Link to comment
On 08/11/2012 04:20 AM, joann414 said:
Well, I have already said one chapter was my favorite, but I can say it for two if I want too. It is my review, so I can say what I want. lol This was a very interesting and revealing chapter girl. Gets better and better
Thank you. I do try my best :D
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..