Jump to content
    IAMAWRITING
  • Author
  • 1,610 Words
  • 3,865 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Camping Can Be Fun - 1. Chapter 1

Now That my new editor Coastguard is on board, we've decided to try and Americanise the writing style to make it read better for the majority of the readers. The reason for this is that I'm from the UK If you have already read the chapter don't worry, everything still happens as it happened, there are just a few words and phrases changed here and there. Please keep rating, liking and reviewing.

Chapter 1

I used to like Steven, I mean “really” like Steven, and, well I guess I still do. He was my best friend all through junior and senior high school… actually best friend, period. We’re both eighteen now and it looks like we’re probably just going to be friends forever, which is part of the problem. He is the sort of guy you can’t help but like, and then eventually fall for - tall, dark and handsome, your typical rugged heartbreaker.


When puberty hit me I fell for him hook, line and sinker. I’m Dan, by the way, and as you can tell I’m gay. Well, I think I’m gay.No, fuck it, I know I’m gay! I’ve just never had sex before. In fact I’ve never even kissed a guy. But it doesn’t matter, you know what you like and I like to look at guys… a lot! Well one guy really, Steven. But now he’s with this stupid fucking bitch of a girlfriend, Lisa. I guess I’m not being entirely fair there, she’s actually quite nice and she’s pretty. Maybe I’m just a little… scratch that, I’m ridiculously jealous of her. It kills me to say it, but they make a good couple, visually at least. I just always hoped that maybe someday, somehow Steven would realize that he’s madly in love with me. I mean the way we carry on together is so misleading at times; we’re as close as two guys can get without being gay together. We fight and wrestle, pin each other down, all that stuff. We’ve grabbed each other’s dicks as a joke; we’ve been naked together for fuck sake. It’s like the ultimate prick tease and it drives me insane.


Now I find myself in the back of Steven’s car on my way to a campsite somewhere in the romantic setting of the Lake District of New Hampshire, to play the role of third wheel for a week. And all the way here she’s been tickling his arm and playing with his hair… and there she goes again… HE’S FUCKING DRIVING! (Maybe my jealousy borders on psychotic rage at times.) I shouldn’t have come, if this is how it’s going to be all through this trip. Wait a minute, what am I saying? If anyone should leave it’s her. I’ve been coming on these trips with MY friend a fuck load longer than her. They’ve been together like a month; I’ve known him nearly all my life.


“We’re here,” Steven said suddenly, raising me out of my internal rant.


He was right, the country side that had spanned for miles and miles, now started to part on the horizon as the sparkle of a distant lake came in view. The sun beating down on the surface of the water gave the lake the illusion of looking brilliant white from this distance, but as we got closer the dazzling white slowly melted into an inviting, deep blue.


For a few minutes my irritations were relieved and replaced with boyish excitement to have finally arrived in one of my favourite places. Steven and I had been coming here every summer for years, and it had been our thing, our place to just relax, get drunk, and eat barbecues, swim, hike and climb. Now, of course, it would be different. This used to be the place where I could get close to Steven without interruption, and last year after a few beers… well a lot of beers…I nearly opened up to him and told him how I felt. I’d mulled on that for a full year and had decided that this year would be the one. I was going to face my fears and just tell him, kiss him, or something, but now that she’s come into the picture it changes everything. For one, I now know that Steven isn’t gay, an earth shattering blow. Two, even if he was interested in me I would never break them up... morals and all that shit. And of course three, with her here I won’t ever be alone with him.


We pulled up to our usual pitching spot and got out of the car. My legs were aching after such a long journey and it was good to finally stretch them and get some fresh country air.


“Oh Steven, it’s gorgeous,” exclaimed Lisa, immediately following her statement with a passionate kiss. I was more than a little uncomfortable being around them, so I turned on my heels and started unloading the boot.


I pulled out my tent and my bag and found a nice flat piece of ground to pitch on and got to work. I’d been using the same tent for a while and had become a dab hand at putting it up and it didn’t take me long to get all the poles in place. Then I started on the pegs, which were impossible to stab into the ground with all the hot dry weather we’d been having.


“Steven?” I shouted. “Did you bring the mallet?”


I looked up when I got no response to find the two of them exactly where I left them, snogging the faces off each other. I would usually turn away when I saw them like this, out of disgust more than anything, but for some reason being here, in OUR place, I just felt sad. This place was supposed to be, for me and Steven, our little haven away from all the shit back home and this trip in particular was going to be special. I started to feel a little tearful, not something that I’m usually accustomed to. I’m not one of your fairy type gays; I’m just a guy who happens to be attracted to other guys. I turned away embarrassed by my lack of emotional control and nearly walked right into someone.

“Shit, you scared me,” I began, startled by the unexpected presence of a young guy about my age.


Not only did I feel a bit shocked as you do when you get a fright like that, but he was shockingly gorgeous. He was, for want of a better vocabulary in these dumbstruck situations, fucking hot! He looked about average height, quite athletic, short jet black hair, tanned skin and his eyes… oh my God he had the most electric blue eyes I’d ever seen. I felt instantly hypnotized by them. He was wearing a black tank top which showed off his strong arms very nicely and some beige camouflage shorts. I was completely speechless, and to anyone watching I must have looked absolutely brain-dead.

“I didn’t mean to scare you buddy, just thought you could use this,” he said holding up a rubber mallet. “I’m Adam by the way.” He stuck out his right hand obviously waiting for me to shake it.


It took me a moment to snap out of my erotic trance and realize how stupid and rude I must look just standing there ignoring this gesture.


“Erm… sorry,” I mumbled taking his outstretched hand.


His skin was soft and warm, but his handshake was strong and very masculine.


“I’m Daniel, but you can call me Dan or Danny, whichever you prefer,” I said, all the while being once again distracted by his physique and good looks. I also couldn’t help but notice that he was filling out his shorts quite nicely, and once I had noticed I couldn’t stop noticing.


“So do you want this?” he asked me.


“I’m sorry?” I replied not fully understanding what he meant. Was he asking if I wanted to… then I realized he was now waving the mallet about, which of course made me feel rather embarrassed and ridiculous.


“Yes thanks that would be great.”

But instead of handing me the mallet he knelt down and started hammering in my pegs.


“No it’s alright mate I can do that, I mean you don’t have to…”


“Its fine, it’s nice to be nice,” he replied cheerfully as he finished forcing the peg into the ground.


“Well… thank you. I appreciate that. Let me get you a beer from the cooler or something to say thanks at least.”


“No thanks pal, I’m ok for now, but I tell you what...why don’t you and your friends bring some beers over to our pitch later on tonight and have a drink with us,” he said looking over towards Steven and Lisa who were obviously still publicly displaying their affection. “Or maybe if those two are too busy you might want to get away for a bit,” he continued with a grin, realizing that I may be suffering from third wheel syndrome.

“Yeah, that would be nice thanks. Who are you with?”

“Just my friend, Karl and my little brother Joey. They’re both cool, although Joey can be a little bugger sometimes,” he said, smiling nostalgically and reminiscing about his brotherly quarrels.


We chatted while he finished pegging the tent and then we chatted some more, before he headed back to his pitch. He was really nice, friendly and genuine. I had no doubt in my mind that I was attracted to this guy who had just come out of absolutely nowhere. Perhaps I had finally gone completely crazy in my jealous rage and developed some sort of fictional character in my imagination towards which I could divert my sexual frustrations, or perhaps there are still nice people in the world. All I knew was that I would be having a beer with a very cute guy tonight and that it was him who invited me. That’s basically a date, right?

Now That my new editor Coastguard is on board, we've decided to try and Americanise the writing style to make it read better for the majority of the readers. The reason for this is that I'm from the UK If you have already read the chapter don't worry, everything still happens as it happened, there are just a few words and phrases changed here and there. Please keep rating, liking and reviewing.
© Copyright 2014 iamawriting; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm enjoying your story, Writing. :)

 

I definitely feel for Dan; he's been coming to that campsite for years with his best friend/crush and now since Steven brought his g/f (of only one month I might add), it seems like it's not 'their' spot anymore. Bringing Lisa there sort of tarnished the feeling or memory of the place, you know?

 

I'm glad he met Adam and it's good he'll be busy with other people while Steven and Lisa do whatever it is they'll be doing. :P

 

I'm looking forward to the second chapter. :)

Link to comment

Great start to your first story, keep up the good work, I look forward to reading more.

Link to comment
On 07/30/2014 11:36 PM, quokka said:
Great start to your first story, keep up the good work, I look forward to reading more.
Thanks quokka, I appreciate you taking the time to read and review, please continue to do so. Glad you're enjoying things thus far. Please rate my story.
Link to comment
On 07/30/2014 09:25 PM, Arazon said:
I agree with Lisa. I felt sorry for Dan, especially going to their spot, but it looks like Adam might change things...I liked your description of the lake, gave me a good visual.
Hello Arazon, I'm glad you're already connecting with the characters and enjoying the setting I'm trying to create. Please keep reading and reviewing and I'd appreciate it if you could rate the story too.
Link to comment
On 07/30/2014 12:20 PM, Foster said:
I enjoyed your start.
Thank you Foster. Keep reading, more to come soon. Please continue to send me reviews and I'd really appreciate it if you could rate the story too.
Link to comment
On 07/29/2014 12:14 PM, Lisa said:
I'm enjoying your story, Writing. :)

 

I definitely feel for Dan; he's been coming to that campsite for years with his best friend/crush and now since Steven brought his g/f (of only one month I might add), it seems like it's not 'their' spot anymore. Bringing Lisa there sort of tarnished the feeling or memory of the place, you know?

 

I'm glad he met Adam and it's good he'll be busy with other people while Steven and Lisa do whatever it is they'll be doing. :P

 

I'm looking forward to the second chapter. :)

Thank you Lisa for being the first person to send me a review. I'm glad you're enjoying things so far and that you're already bonding with my characters. Please keep in touch and send me more reviews and if you could find the time, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could rate my story
Link to comment

I'm liking the story from what I've read but I didn't understand a few of the phrases and words being from the UK myself I find it hard to understand american English, I understand why you did change it to suit the majority of the reading audience but you sort of lose the English feel to it. But keep up the good work and it look like I'll have to obtain an american English dictionary to understand these words and phrases.

Link to comment
On 08/30/2014 11:35 AM, scotty94 said:
I'm liking the story from what I've read but I didn't understand a few of the phrases and words being from the UK myself I find it hard to understand american English, I understand why you did change it to suit the majority of the reading audience but you sort of lose the English feel to it. But keep up the good work and it look like I'll have to obtain an american English dictionary to understand these words and phrases.
Ha ha, I can't win lol. I'm glad you're enjoying the story and I apologise for changing things on you, but there are just so many American readers on this site, plus my editor is Canadian, so it just made sense to make the switch. anything that you don't get, just ask and I'll be happy to help.

 

Please don't forget to keep reviewing chapters, sending me feedback and rating the story. You can follow the story if you like too.

Link to comment

Oh wow, finally got time to read this, and I'm glad I did! I'm hooked already; I love the premise, the characters are filling out already, and your writing is awesome! The description of the lake in particular stood out, it really brought the moment to life, but all your descriptions were really good! I like the setting already; the image you've created in my mind is making me wanna go for a swim :gikkle:. Anyway, at the moment I'm torn between wanting to write a review that would properly convey how much I like this story already and reading the next bit, but ch 2 is starting to win out :lol:. Anyway, to sum it up, amazing story, totally in love with it so far :D. Thanks for writing, you're good at it!

Link to comment
On 11/02/2014 11:46 AM, faxity said:
Oh wow, finally got time to read this, and I'm glad I did! I'm hooked already; I love the premise, the characters are filling out already, and your writing is awesome! The description of the lake in particular stood out, it really brought the moment to life, but all your descriptions were really good! I like the setting already; the image you've created in my mind is making me wanna go for a swim :gikkle:. Anyway, at the moment I'm torn between wanting to write a review that would properly convey how much I like this story already and reading the next bit, but ch 2 is starting to win out :lol:. Anyway, to sum it up, amazing story, totally in love with it so far :D. Thanks for writing, you're good at it!
I've been away from the story for a while as work has taken over, but It's about time I replied to these reviews as they mean a lot to me. Your comments in particular mean a lot as I'm a fan of your writing. I'm glad you're enjoying things. Thanks for taking a look and leaving your reviews.
Link to comment

Didn't Churchill say something like we are 'two people divided by a common language'? If only you would add a note saying what was changed--I love British English better than my native American...and your accents are wonderful! :)

Not knowing anything else so far, I already dislike Steven and can't abide Lisa. Thank the gods for Adam showing up, whether they do anything or not!

 

Off to do Chapter 2!

Link to comment
On 01/09/2015 10:22 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
Didn't Churchill say something like we are 'two people divided by a common language'? If only you would add a note saying what was changed--I love British English better than my native American...and your accents are wonderful! :)

Not knowing anything else so far, I already dislike Steven and can't abide Lisa. Thank the gods for Adam showing up, whether they do anything or not!

 

Off to do Chapter 2!

Nice to know I'm still finding some new readers. It was mainly just colloquialisms, and the different words we have for things. It was that long ago I can't remember what was changed. I don't think it hinders the story in any way. I see you sent this to me in January. I hope you're still reading? I 'd love to here what you think about the other chapters, so please keep reviewing.
Link to comment

Oh god. Being a third wheel in this situation sounds dreadful. Having Adam around for company will be a lifesaver even if it's just as friends. Intriguing start I.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..