Jump to content
    jfalkon
  • Author
  • 425 Words
  • 1,458 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fairy Dust - 8. Scent of Something New

Scent of Something New

As they walked down the leaf-littered sidewalk they realized that most of the businesses were closed. The diner had closed an hour ago. The barbershop was dark. Sally's perfumes had a light on but there was a closed sign on the door. They almost passed it by when Sam saw some movement inside. Someone was still restocking the merchandise. Sam knocked on the door and soon two people emerged. Sally opened the door. She looked exactly like the fairy on the perfume bottle. Her brother was a few steps behind.

"Sorry to bother you," said Sam, "but our car broke down and we can't get a cell signal. Could we use your phone?"

"Check the phone," Sally said to her brother, "Why don't you come in. The phones have been down for an hour but maybe their working again."

"Thanks," said Fred happy to get out of the rain.

Tom emerged from somewhere in the back of the store shaking his head, "Its still down. It was probably the wind."

Sam pulled out his cell phone to see if by some miracle there was a signal.

"Don't bother," Tom said, "No one can get a signal here. Too many hills."

Sam and Fred looked at each other. Deprived of modern technology, they were not sure what to do. After a moment's thought Fred asked if there was a motel near by.

"It just closed a week ago," Sally informed them, "Green Hollow isn't exactly a tourist town."

There were a few moments of silence as Tom tried to remember if he had seen the two men before. "Hey weren't you here like a month ago?"

"Yeah."

"You were buying a gift for your sister, right?"

"My niece actually," answered Sam.

Meanwhile Fred was looking outside. "I think the rain is slowing down a little," he said just before the first bolt of lightning struck a near by hill.

Tom could not help feeling sorry for the stranded men. He invited them over to his home to wait out the storm. "Just give us a few minutes to lock up the place and we can head out."

"Thank you so much," said a relieved Sam.

"Yeah, thanks," added Fred.

"No problem," answered Tom hoping that he did not seem nervous. He usually did not invite strangers to his home. Turning to his sister he asked, "Are you coming over?"

"No, I gotta get home and take care of my babies."

Fred's heart sank. He was starting to like Sally. He watched as she picked up a few things and left. Then they followed Tom out into the storm.

Copyright © 2011 jfalkon; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..