Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 7,865 Words
  • 1,530 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sole Scion - 5. Chapter Five: Birthday Traditions

Ten years have passed since Daniel returned to the Labatt Estate. During that time both he and Andrew have grown into a fine pair of young men. As today is their 18th birthday both boys have reached a crossroad in their lives. Will a guilt ridden Daniel denounce his privileged life to live as a monk or will he keep his promise to Andrew and never leave him?

Chapter Five: Birthday Traditions

 

November 1st, 2470 A.D.

13th Year A.A.

 

Andrew and Daniel never spoke of what happened the day when Daniel suddenly returned to the Labatt Estate. When asked they claimed neither remembered. Eventually Karl stopped asking and the boys went on with their lives as if nothing had happened.

“Wankey-wankey… sex and bac-ey”

Daniel woke to find his best friend of all friends looking down on him from where he was straddled over his chest. Andrew had grown into a beautiful young man with sandy blond hair, sapphire eyes, and skin that needed no sun to tan. If Daniel was not so humble he would see he too was quite the looker, but unlike his blood-brother he didn’t pursue the sort of attention Andrew reveled in.

When he had returned to the Labatt estate Daniel found everything as he had left it. Even his bed in Andrew’s room had not been moved. Over the years the beds grew in size as did the rooms, but never did they not share the same room.

“More like sausage.” Daniel could feel Andrew pulsing manhood brush against his lips.

“Hey, I like sausage, but why have one link when I can have two?” Andrew reached into Daniel’s drawers and squeezed his limp cock. “You know today is my birthday, don’t you?”

Daniel looked at the date on the nearby alarm clock and sighed. Today was indeed Andrew’s birthday… not to mention his own. “And what is the birthday boy’s wish.”

“The same as the last four years.” Andrew slipped out of bed and headed to the adjoining bathroom.

Daniel knew exactly what Andrew had gone for. “Please… no drugs.”

Andrew stuck his head out of the door. “But it’s my birthday and you promised.” he pouted.

“I know and if you really want me to take it I will but can we try it without using Blue.”

“Very well… but you better be hard or else there’s no point.” As he returned to the bed he discarded his remaining cloths. His entire body was hard and primed for sexual pleasure.

Daniel felt his throat go dry. Except for the locks atop his head and the trimmed bush above his cock Andrew was smooth and hairless. His golden tanned skin contained not a blemish, mole, or freckle. His hard abs, eight in all were perfectly symmetrical. His eighteen inch biceps had held Daniel through more nights of troubled dreams than he could count.

If any other man or woman had been there they too would have gone wet. Daniel however was among the rare few who were not affected by Andrew’s alluring looks.

Andrew saw the worry in Daniel’s eyes. He did a sharp about face and marched back to the bathroom. “The Blue it is.”

“I’m sorry… I don’t know what’s wrong with me.” Daniel hated his inability to rise to the occasion. He knew how much it hurt Andrew. Andrew could have any man or woman he wanted but the only one he truly wanted was the very one who had no sexual interest in him. Daniel’s only saving grace was that he felt no desire for anyone else. Except with the aid of Blue that is.

Blue was THE drug to be on. Only those in high enough status had access to it. As Andrew was the son of a member of the Directorship he had access to an unlimited supply. The Blue did more than heighten sexual desires and pleasures it was also the only known treatment to the Plague that had appeared with Azrael. The mutating plague affects the young and old, men and women, poor and rich, of every nationality and color. The only difference was that only Neo sapiens like Andrew had access to the only known treatment. All others had to do without. Daniel wasn’t sure how it happened but somehow the NSP had gained a monopoly of the global Blue supply. As a result they had the perfect tool to control what the Neo sapiens referred to the Norm population.

Ten years ago no one would have thought such a minor political party would gain control of both the American and European governments. Since the Walker Corporation had announced the discovery and marketing of Blue the NSP had grown in power and influence. They were still in the minority but all the leaders of the majority parties followed their suggestions. With the Plague running rampant, world leaders were willing to sell out their constituents for a handful of the florescent blue gel pills.

When he returned, Andrew didn’t bring pills but two vials containing Blue in its pure liquid form. He placed one on a nightstand. He kept the other between his teeth.

Going to the foot of the bed he slowly pulled the sheets off, and dumped them into a pile. He looked hungrily at Daniel… his perfect smooth white skin, slender muscular frame, his curly dark hair with its streaks of auburn, and his deep sea green eyes. If he was not careful, Andrew could lose himself in those eyes. Climbing from the end of the bed, he crawled on all fours like a prowling lion. He looked into Daniel’s eyes and Daniel gazed back. There was trepidation in those eyes but there was also deep longing. Daniel might not like taking the Blue but that didn’t mean he didn’t want Andrew in the worst way.

Andrew climbed on top of Daniel. With both hands he grabbed Daniel by his forearms and pinned them to the head board. Pressing one hand on the crossed wrists he took the vial from his mouth. Using his teeth he twisted the cap off. He saw Daniel’s eyes widen and his breath quicken. He felt his body be lifted up and down with each rise and fall of Daniel’s chest.

When he placed the glass vial to Daniel’s lips Dan whispered. “Only one.”

Andrew followed Daniel’s eyes to the nightstand. “One for you and one for me.”

Daniel wrapped his fingers around the hand Andrew held the vial with. “No… only one.”

Andrew wanted to ask why but as it was such a minor request he went along with it. “Just one,” he whispered. He tilted the vial letting half the vial of the azure liquid stream down Daniel’s parted lips. He then poured the remains down his own throat. He felt Daniel take in a deep breath. So did he when the drug began to take effect.

Daniel already sinewy body expanded with flexing muscle. His white pale skin flushed red. He green emerald eyes began to shimmer with a light of their own. Most important to Andrew was the touch of Daniel’s growing manhood pressing against the small of Andrew’s back.

“Are you ready?”

Daniel shook his arms free. Sitting up he placed both arms around the back of Andrew’s neck. The two drew close, the moist heat of each other’s breath wetting the follicles of their unshaven lips. “Need you ask that question?”

Daniel leaned in closer. Their lips touch. Daniel’s soft pressure was met by Andrews’s harder force. Daniel fell back onto the bed and let out a muffled moan. His dear friend’s hands were all over his body. They ran down this side of his ribs, squeeze the pectorals and grabbed him by his outer thighs.

When their lips parted both gasped for air but Andrew didn’t pause for a moment. He slid his already sweating body down Daniel’s chest and abs. With one hand he took hold of the root of the cock. With the other he grabbed the golf ball size balls.

He squeezed both until a dewdrop of cum oozed from the tip. He paused long enough for it to build. Before it slid down the hardened shaft he licked it and savored the taste. Rubbing the sticky fluid over his lips he looked up to find Daniel looking back at him. Daniel gave him the slightest nod.

That was all the permission Andrew needed. With a single motion he took the entire eight inch shaft down to its root. Sealing his lips around the base he sucked in, his cheeks caving in on themselves. As he rose his tongue slid side from side as he kept his lips tightly sealed. By the time he reached the end of the cock the head was coated with spit and more than a few drops of cum.

All the while Daniel could only moan. He sat up on his elbows. Both hands grabbed fists of the bed mattress cover. It had been several months since he and Andrew had done this. He wanted this… deep down he wanted more days like this. So why did his body refuse to respond without the drug? If it were not for the politics involved he would be willing to take it more often but given what many would do for a single dose he could not help but hate taking Blue and all it stood for.

Long a master of the bedroom Andrew knew when to stop. He didn’t want Daniel to climax too soon. He left the bed; grabbing both of Daniel’s ankles he turned him perpendicular to the length of the bed. Lifting Daniel’s legs until his calves hung over his shoulders he grabbed the remaining vial.

“Only one.” Daniel reminded.

“Trust me you’ll love this.” Andrew poured the contents of the vial over his cock and lubed himself with it. He had always wanted to see how Daniel would react to this sort of ‘treatment’. He was not disappointed.

He slid inside Daniel; the healing properties of the drug numbed the pain. At the same it stretched the sphincter, tightening its grip around his cock.

“Give it to me. Give it to me.” Daniel whispered.

“Like this?” Andrew slid all ten inches deep into Daniel’s ass. He pulled back until only the head remained. On the second go he shoved it in hard and fast and slowly pulled back to the tip. He then pushed in and pulled out faster. With each thrust he pushed and pulled harder and faster until he picked up a constant rapid rhythm. His balls slapped against the bottom of Daniel’s ass. All the while Daniel begged for more.

Using an arm to keep Daniel’s legs in place he used his free hand to grab Daniel’s wet sticky cock. I wouldn’t mind having this nice little poker poking in me. Andrew thought to himself. He knew however that neither of them would last long enough to switch positions.

Feeling the veins of his cock begin to pulse he pushed in as deep as he could and released. He screamed Daniel’s name over and over as his seed pumped inside his beloved.

He didn’t waste time for the last drop to shoot out. He went down on his knees and once against wrapped his mouth around Daniel’s sex. He sucked even harder this time. When his tongue felt the thumping of Daniel’s cock he withdrew to the tip and opened his mouth wide. Like a man in the desert he accepted Daniel’s seed like sweet wine. After the last pulse he licked up the remains from the head.

He rotated Daniel legs back onto the bed and climbed on top of him. They kissed. Daniel could taste his own seed on Andrews’s probing tongue.

When they had a chance to catch their breath, Daniel whispered; “I’m sorry.”

Andrew didn’t have to ask what Daniel was sorry for. “I know but if this is what you want I won’t stop you.”

Tears dripped from both their eyes. Instead of joining Andrew at the Academy as a cadet Daniel, against Andrew’s wishes, was going to swear himself to the Faith.

Andrew couldn’t claim to understand why. With their oath of celibacy he saw them as a masochistic bunch. These former members of the NSP saw their denial of bodily pleasure as proper punishment for the government’s policy of forced sterilization of the unwanted members of society. He couldn’t believe that chain of thought was behind Daniel’s reasoning. “I know what you think of the NSP but fighting them is pointless. You might as well fight against yourself.”

Full membership into the NSP was not solely based on being a Neo Sapien. As the name suggested membership was granted on whether one tested positive as a true Neo sapiens but a Norm with a good sponsor could be granted membership. Both Karl and Andrew had been confirmed through blood tests that they were Neos. Daniel refused to speak of his own blood status, but as he was the adopted son of a member of the Directorship, Daniel was considered a Neo by default.

Daniel closed his eyes. “You fight your way and I’ll fight mine.” Daniel sank deeper into bed. His father was gone… his Plague infected mother was still hunting him. He had no sibling, aunts, or uncles to speak of. All he had was Andrew and Daniel was terrified of losing him as well. Better to end all contact with the rest of the world before he suffered another terrible lose. He couldn’t survive losing anyone else so he might as well lose himself.

Andrew stood over Daniel wonder what he could say to change Daniel’s mind. If one thing his best friend was guilty of it was being stubborn.

 

      __________________________________________________________________

 

Since everyone at the mansion was aware of the birthday tradition between Andrew and his no good leech of a friend; they did their upmost best to be happy for the son of their employer. Almost none of them were however. Their employer, the billionaire industrialist Karl Labatt had made his opinion of Daniel quite clear. The brat was a burden, an annoying hanger on, Andrew’s boy toy, an overly high minded pest, and the future Mrs. Andrew… those were the terms the staff used when Andrew was not around to hear them. Daniel did hear what they would say behind his back but pretended not to mind. To them he was nothing but a pauper orphan who would not have laces for his shoes if Dr. Labatt didn’t pay for them. They saw Daniel as a leech, undeserving of his favored status. They were certain Andrew could do a lot better for himself. With them completely focused on Andrew’s 18th birthday celebration none of them bothered to remember today was also Daniel’s birthday.

That was true of all of them but Lanyon Smith. From the start he had taken a particular interest in Daniel. Especially his relationship with Andrew. When the staff saw the Chief of Security they made sure to keep their opinion of Daniel to themselves. Andrew might be the son of their employer but Lanyon controlled Labatt Industries considerable paramilitary force and Lanyon did not put up with overly abusive staff. Not a few had found themselves exiled to the Plague Quarantine Zone in what was once Western Canada for getting on the security chief’s bad side..

As this was the boys’ birthday Lanyon made sure to pay them a visit. “Good morning boys. How has your day been so far?”

“Typical.” Andrew replied nonchalantly.

Lanyon could not help but smirk. “Typical?” He slapped Daniel in the rear. To his surprise he got no reaction. “More like atypical.”

“Don’t worry Commander. We made sure to blow out each other’s candles.” Daniel joked.

Lanyon laughed. “Candles… I like that.” Seeing Andrew glower he changed subject. “What are your plans for today?”

“I was thinking of going to the lab and…” Daniel turned his head away from the pair. He didn’t want to see the annoyed glares being sent in his direction.

Andrew’s eyes bulged. “Lab! Not on our birthday. Did you forget we have that photo shoot?”

Daniel groan and banged his head against the heavy oak table. “Yes I remember your father is having us used in a NSP propaganda campaign and yes I remember the party will be in Buenos Aries and yes I promise to be on my best behavior around your friends.”

“Our friends.”

“Only by association. None of them really like me.”

Andrew spun his spoon in the remainder of his oatmeal. “What about Timothy. He really seems to like you.”

“He does… just not platonically,” Daniel’s retort was muffled due to his head being buried in his arms that were crossed over each other on the table.

“But that’s the best sort of friend.” Andrew chewed on his left thumb, deep in thought. “I know… how about we tear up the guest list and have the party with only those who like both of us.”

Daniel lifted his head just enough to let Andrew see his narrowed eyes. “That will be a pretty short list.”

Lanyon saw an opening and took it. “I don’t know… I can think of a few of my men who would fit the bill.” He not so gently elbowed Andrew in the ribs.

Daniel was not convinced. “They only like me because you order them to.” Daniel picked up a piece of bacon, looked at the greasy strip of fat and meat and thought better of it. While he had never had a problem staying fit too much fatty foods tended to upset his stomach.

Lanyon’s gaze darkened. “You should not say things you know nothing about. They like if not love you,” he said sternly. “Remember Lieutenant Wilson?”

Andrew’s eyebrows shot up with renewed interest. “I remember him!” Holding up an empty glass one of the servants silently refilled it with freshly squeezed orange juice.

“I’m sure you do.” Daniel felt like curling back into bed and not leaving until all this birthday business would be over with.

Lanyon saw he was risking over-embarrassing Daniel but didn’t feel like stopping. “Don’t worry Daniel,” he patted the young man on the back. “I do not think Andrew’s memory of events is as clear as yours.” He ruffled the shorter young man’s hair. “Wilson does however remember the lad I assigned him to protect last summer. From what he included in his reports he took quite a shining to you.”

Daniel’s cheeks reddened. He did remembered Glenn Wilson. The man had not been blatantly open about his feelings but to Daniel, and it seemed to the Commander as well, they could not have been more obvious.

Andrew could tell Daniel wasn’t going to say anything so he spoke for him. “Consider him invited.” He turned his attention back on Lanyon. “Anyone else you can suggest?”

“All your bodyguards. You might not have the best party but you will at least have the safest.”

“Do we really need all that protection?” Daniel asked. He could tell the Commander was keeping something back.

“Nothing you need to worry about.” Lanyon knew his answer wouldn’t convince either of them but that might be best. If there was going to be trouble then it would be good for Daniel to be on his guard. Of course it was his birthday and like those that had occurred in the past, something was bound to go wrong.

Once again Andrew’s lips turned sour. “Come on… we’re going to be late for the shoot.

This was not the first photo shoot Karl had set up for the kids to do for the NSP. As early as nine they had been the cute, harmless faces promoting the idea that Neos and Norms could get along and even be friends. As handsome eighteen-year-olds they represented model citizens.

Like past shoots, Andrew, with his blond hair and blue eyes was dressed up in a perfectly tailored NSP paramilitary dress uniform. Daniel, on the other hand, with his dark wavy hair with auburn locks and green eyes, was dressed up in a regular school uniform. The model of the perfect young common citizen… the sort who could one day aspire for full membership in the NSP.

For the first shoot Daniel was dressed in dark slacks and a green shirt which matched his eyes while Andrew put on the black and silver uniform of a junior NSP officer. The setting was the three story greenhouse that was part of the Labatt estate. Daniel was seated on a pink granite boulder that had been placed in front of a waterfall fed pond. On one side were red and white rose bushes. On the other a short palm tree. With most of humanity living in the Arks this scene alone would not fail to cause people to dream of a better and much sunnier life.

Once Daniel was in place Andrew was positioned behind him. He placed his cap in one hand over his heart while the other he placed on Daniel’s left shoulder.

Both were to smile and look to up to the right. Daniel however refused to smile. How could he when he knew what the posters would be used for.

This didn’t please the propaganda officer. “What’s your problem? We have a schedule to keep.”

Andrew stepped between the officer and his friend. “The problem is that we don’t like what these photos are going to be used for.”

“This is nonsense, utter nonsense. My superior told me you two wouldn’t cause me any trouble.”

“If you don’t want trouble you shouldn’t look for it,” Daniel said bitterly. “Anyway this scene is ridiculous”. Daniel left the rock he had been sitting on and kicked it. No one would be fooled into thinking the NSP is nothing but an organization for a bunch thugs and Norm turncoats.”

“Need I remind you who feeds and clothes you brat…” The propaganda officer shoved Daniel back on the boulder he had been sitting on.

Daniel quickly jumped back on his feet. “Is a pathetic member of your pathetic organization!”

Andrew saw the red faced man reach for his phone when he stopped him. “Look, if it’s a bunch of photos you want leave it to the professionals.”

“What do you have in mind?” The propaganda officer hissed through clenched teeth.

“Wait and see.” Andrew dived into the pool, coming out soaking wet. Unbuttoning his coat and Daniel’s green shirt, he held Daniel in his arms in the sort of pose found one the covers of cheesy romance novels. Andrew’s intent was to prove that love between Neos and Norms was indeed possible. After all didn’t he love Daniel with all his heart and he wasn’t a true Neo.

Daniel wanted to resist but he couldn’t say no to Andrew, not when they would soon be leaving to live different lives in distant parts of the world.

By the time the propagandist left he was more than pleased by the results. Daniel however wasn’t. While he didn’t like what the officer had intended he liked Andrew’s photos worse… not because they were bad but because he knew they would be more effective. He looked at where Andrew…soaked in his open uniform was talking to the photographer. He knew if Andrew had not given him what the NSP wanted, Daniel would have gained the ire of a potential enemy. Being a Norm would make their tit-for-tat excruciating. The sensual photos taken should help limit his danger. The posters and TV commercials that would be made from the shoot would stir the loins of most Neo and Norm young men.

When Andrew returned to him he quickly apologized. “I’m sorry… I shouldn’t have made you take part in this.”

Hot with anger Daniel splashed some water on his face. “No… it’s your father’s fault. If he wasn’t so eager to win more government contracts neither of us would have to stoop to this.”

“I don’t know… I at least will be pinning the posters up in my room.” Andrew raised Daniel’s chin to meet his eyes. Swimming under the waterfall had left him feeling chilly. He knew of more than one way to warm each other up. “God I love you.” He knew the moment he said it he had made a mistake. Daniel had lost too many people who had said the same thing. Daniel pulled away. “Sorry I shouldn’t have said that,” Andrew said more apologetically than he felt was necessary.

“But you did.” There was a tone of anger in Daniel’s voice that also expressed his pain.

“And it’s true. Damn it why can’t we say it. It’s not like in the old days when people frowned on such things. With the Plague it’s actually encouraged.” Andrew ran his fingers through his light blond hair as he paced back and forth. He hated that Daniel refused to let him say how much he loved him.

It was true that ever since Azrael same sex relationships had become more common than not for there were many ways one could catch the Plague. The most notorious and feared means was through sexual contact. The resulting offspring could grow to sexual maturity in a matter of weeks, kill the mother and spread the plague to others. Worst yet there was no known blood test for such offspring or those they infected. Showing no signs of mutation for years they were called Sleepers. It was when they awoke into their mutated forms that the real nightmare began. After several major outbreaks it was decided that the citizenry would be divided by sex. The process began four years ago. Except for those sterilized, contact between men and women was illegal. Only men in positions of power were allowed to have a wife.

With Labatt’s incredible wealth there was plenty female companionship to be had. Neither of the boys however bothered to enjoy it. “Do you think I should get married… to a woman that is? Have kids, raise a family and such?”

“If that is what will make you happy?” This time it was Daniel who misspoke.

Andrew pushed Daniel back into the pond. “What makes me happy is having you close to me. That’s what I want. To have you forever within my sight, within reach of my lips! I do not want to wait several weeks between having you in me. I want you and only you!” He didn’t know what led to the outburst but he found himself shaking Daniel violently. He quickly let go.

Daniel didn’t shout or protest. All he did was rest he head on the wet collar of the black uniform. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry too. More so even. Please don’t join the Faith. I beg you. Don’t deny me what I live for which is you. You swore you would never leave me.” As he rocked Daniel in his arm Andrew could feel Daniel’ body quivering against him while he sobbed.

Daniel didn’t say a word. Though he insisted he didn’t recall what happened the night when his mother had been turn into a Nosferatu, he did remember what he promised. He sworn to Andrew he would never leave him… never, never, never. To be honest he didn’t want to. What he wanted was for the two of them to build themselves their own home and live free of the NSP and NET. Leaving the pond Daniel rested his head on Andrew’s chest and wrapped an around the back of the tall youth’s neck. “I won’t leave you. I promise.”

“You will join me at the Academy?”

“If that is where you’ll be then I’ll just have to go there with you.” Daniel stepped back and gave Andrew a warning glare. “Let’s get one thing straight however. Just because you will be my superior at the school doesn’t mean you can order me around, not privately at least but I… I will stay with you.”

Andrew couldn’t keep from grinning. “Will you marry me?”

Daniel crossed his arms over his chest, looked up at the greenhouse’s glass ceiling and groaned. “Don’t press your luck. I think your father aspires you to marry someone of greater prominence.”

“What person can be of greater prominence than the guy I love?” There, he said it again. Twice in one day. This time Daniel didn’t look away but nor did he respond in kind. God help me. One day you will say the words and make me the happiest man in the world.

  

 

 

 

The party, if it could be called that started off as a formal affair. How could it not be when dealing with highly trained soldiers who promised to be on their best behavior? Another thing that made it atypical was that the officers seemed more interested in Daniel then they did the son of their boss. Andrew suspected it was due to the fact that their commander had always shown more interest in Daniel as well.

Two in particular paid special attention to Daniel. One was the aforementioned Lieutenant Wilson. The other was a captain by the name of Oliver Tays.

Lieutenant Wilson had been Daniel’s bodyguard when there had been an attempted kidnapping during a visit to the New York Ark. They had found themselves pinned down in an antique bookstore while five terrorist shot at them. Though only armed with a knife and pistol Glenn Wilson managed to kill four of them. The other he only maimed so he could be interrogated. As it turned out the kidnappers worked for Dimitri and Daniel’s mother. It seem they were still trying to get their hands on him.

The other, Captain Tays, was a different sort of fellow. He never was one of Daniel’s bodyguards or anyone else’s. Not directly. As he explained it he was more of a behind the scenes operative which suggested covert-ops. Andrew would later have to ask Daniel of their connection.

That did not mean Andrew lacked for company. While Daniel’s guests seemed to be more interested in talking he had at least half dozen young officers looking at him with lust in their eyes. While it might be his and Daniel’s birthday Andrew knew that more than one of these fellows would end up being fucked by him before the night was through.

He had been sucking face with a cute redhead when he noticed Daniel had left. “I need to be going.”

“Why the rush… you and I were just getting acquainted.” The officer he had been busy kissing squeezed Andrew’s butt. “Is it as good as it feels?”

“Now really…” Andrew didn’t know what to do. Each time he tried to step away the officer kept on kissing him. “I need to go. It’s Daniel’s birthday too and I…” The officer kissed him again. “Now really this is too much.”

The redhead slipped a hand into Andrew’s shorts and gave what he found inside a squeeze. “Don’t worry. I can handle this and a lot more. Stick around and I’ll prove it to you.” The officer backed Andrew through a nearby door which led to a utility closet. He then started removing his uniform.

Andrew looked for a way to escape but found himself surrounded by horny guards. “Oh hell… Daniel is going to tan my hide for this.”

 

 

 

Daniel, having slipped from the party with his guests, found himself lying on the white sandy beaches of the new capital of the United States, Buenos Aries. “Are you sure…”

“Do you doubt us?” Oliver asked. He and Glenn lay on either side of Daniel.

“No… I would be a fool to not take you seriously. That does not mean I want to believe it.”

“Dmitri and your mother have not given up on trying to get their hands on you. At the Academy you will be safe. At that monastery… well you can wave as many crosses as you want at them but it won’t do you any good.”

Oliver it turned out was the agent Lanyon had assigned to spy on Dmitri and the Nosferatu. After ten years Dmitri still wanted to get his hands on Daniel and so did Daniel’s mother.

“But that will put Andrew in danger. I can’t do that.”

“He can take care of himself a lot easier than you can. He at least can risk losing a little blood. You on the other hand…”

“I’m a hemophiliac. I know. I take pills for that.”

“Yes but the coagulant drugs can only protect you so much. Don’t even bother telling me you can increase the dose. A blood clot in the right area can kill you a lot faster than a bleeding wound can.” Glenn whispered as he played with a lock of Daniel’s dark hair.

Daniel tried to brush the fingers away like an annoying fly. “Are you here to advise me or flirt with me?”

“What can we say other than you are your father’s son.” When Glenn tried to play with Daniel’s hair a second time the young man didn’t swat it away.

“My father…” Daniel felt his throat tightened. It didn’t matter how many years passed, the loss of his father would remain as painful to him as the day he lost him.

“Our fathers…” Oliver insisted. All three of them were descendants of the original Double Dozen. According to Oliver the Dozens were the first of a new breed of Neo sapiens. Daniel’s father had supposedly been one. So had the first Karl, but Daniel, with his hemophilia, seemed not to have inherited his father’s legacy.

“Then it’s Karl you should be following, not me.”

“The Karl who exists now is nothing but a clone of a clone of a clone. Andrew is the true heir of his family’s legacy,” Oliver replied.

“Then you should be following Andrew”

Glenn bushed Daniel’s pales smooth cheek with the tips of the fingers of his right hand. “Yet we chose to follow you. The Labatts might be our employer, but we only follow Karl out of an old sense of loyalty to your father. You’re the only member of your family that’s left. That makes you the spoke of the wheel all others will circle around.”

“Dr. Labatt doesn’t seem to think so.”

“As I said… a mere clone.” Oliver rolled on his side and placed his free slender hand on Daniel’s stomach and began to rub it. “His dislikes you, not because he hates you but because of his failure to protect your father. He knows we all blame him for what happened. That is why he fears you. Whenever he sees you he cannot help but feel guilty. If you were to command it we would place you in charge of the company and Karl knows it.”

Glenn took Daniel’s hand and kissed it gently. “Karl also doesn’t like the fact that his son will have what his father will always be denied. It’s simple jealousy. That’s all”

Daniel hated these talks about the past and the Double Dozen. No matter what he said they would always insist he was one of them. While Daniel was considered a Neo Sapien due to his adoption he didn’t see it as a badge of honor. He hated the NSP and all it stood for. The very idea that he might really be a true Neo disgusted him. “Then why hasn’t Karl gotten rid of me. He must want to.”

Oliver let his lips brush against Daniel’s ear. “That’s the last thing Karl can afford to do. He would never harm the son of the man that he and all his former clones loved more than their own lives. But as I said, he’s a clone. You and Andrew are the true heirs of the Double Dozen’s legacy. He can live with that. That his son is more loved by you than he was by your father is almost more than he can endure. It is best that you leave with Andrew. It’s the only way you two will be able to live the lives you both were always destined to live.”

“But to go to the Academy… the grooming school of the NSP leadership?” Daniel felt Glenn’s hand slip under his shirt. It had a soothing heat to it.

“You do not have to believe what they teach you but you will need to pretend you don’t hate them.” Glenn’s fingers rubbed at the tightness around Daniel’s gut. He knew what had the young man so tense and it had nothing to do with the Academy.

“I would rather take my chances with the Faith.” Daniel knew he was being overly stubborn but what else was he supposed to do? Let other people control his life forever?

Oliver rolled towards Daniel until he was on top of Daniel’s wiry frame. “Believe me Daniel, life among the Neo sapiens will be nowhere as horrific as it could be among the Nosferatu. If you go to the monastery Dmitri will get you. At the Academy you will be safe. It is as simple as that. Among the Faith you will only get a lot of people killed, or worst, end up like your mother.”

“Will you two come with me?” Daniel whispered. While Andrew would be at the school with him he wanted Glenn’s and Oliver’s calming presence.

“Glenn will. I, as always, will be lurking in the shadows. Of course, tonight is your birthday and I would be amiss if I didn’t give you some sort of present.” Oliver rolled the rest of the way on top of Daniel.

Daniel closed his eyes and brushed away the sand in the officer’s red hair.

“Remember the first time we met.” Oliver asked Daniel as Glenn listened in.

“You touched me with your mind.” Daniel touched a stray lock of Oliver’s hair and wondered if he had made the right decision letting the telepath become so deeply involved in his life.

Oliver held out a vial of Blue. “And you touched my soul.”

Daniel felt his throat tighten. “Why, why can’t I love without the drug?” It was a question Daniel had longed to have answered.

“It is part of your nature and your curse,” Oliver replied. “You are as slow to love as you are to hate. Once you commit yourself to love, like with your father, it never goes away.”

“But Andrew?”

“Do you love him?” Glenn asked.

“I want to… I really, really want to?”

“Then what’s holding you back?” When Daniel didn’t respond Oliver reached out with his mind and searched for what had Daniel so upset. In Daniel’s thoughts he found the source of the lad’s trepidation. It was well justified. Like his father, Daniel seemed to have the gift of foresight. When he pulled back he looked down at the tears dripping for Daniel’s eyes. He also saw a few of his own. “You have your father’s curse. He too suffered from troubling dreams.”

“Then they are true… what I see in my dreams will really happen?”

“Possibly…” Using his teeth, Oliver removed the stopper from the vial. “That’s all the dreams are. In most cases they only show what possibly can happen, not always what will. Many times when they do happen they do not result in what we think it will.”

“What of the blue giant? Is he real?” In nearly each of the dreams there was a towering man with blue skin. If he is real…

“Is he the reason why you can’t tell Andrew you love him?” Oliver asked.

Daniel nodded.

“Do you think you are capable of loving only one person with all your heart?”

“There should be only one.” One man, one wife, one husband had long been one of Daniel’s mantras. He didn’t just see it that way because of his religious convictions but the happiest period of his life had been when his parents had still been married. Watching his mother bring home a different boyfriend every few months had only made Daniel’s belief in monogamy that much stronger.

“But you believe falling into love with a man you never met means you cannot continue to love Andrew?”

“I cannot tell Andrew I love him only to one day find I don’t.”

“Do you think that day will ever come? Do you want it to?”

“No.”

“Then it won’t. Not without a fight at least. Now… how about you share a little of this Blue with me and make me the happiest man of the hour.” Seeing Glenn tap his watch, Oliver sighed. “How about the next thirty minutes.”

It was a short half hour. Once he had straighten his clothes out Daniel noticed the look of pain on Oliver’s face. “They’ve come for you Daniel.”

“I was hoping they would wait until I got back home… but one cannot hope for mercy where NET is concerned.” Daniel finished brushing the sand off him. While having sex on a beach might seem romantic, sand was not the best lubricant in the world.

“I’m sorry Daniel, but I cannot go with you.” Feeling like a coward Oliver could not look Daniel in the eye.

“I understand.” Daniel did understand. Oliver Tays real name last name was Grey. It is the surname given to all telepathic Neos. According to NET policy all Greys were required to work for NET. Those who didn’t were known as rouges. While Oliver’s employment with the Labatts had been sanctioned by NET’s leader, the Praetor, it was best not to give them an excuse to force him to return to NET Central.

Leaving without looking back, Daniel walked further down the beach. He had an appointment to keep, one that he could not afford to be late for. When he was outside the view of the bungalow where the others were still partying he saw them. Five men, dressed in black and silver uniforms, all with bright blood red hair stood in a row at the bottom of a large dune. As had been the case every other year for the last ten years NET had come for him. “Let’s get this over with,” he said bitterly. Having to go through the same tortuous NET examination every two years on his birthday had a lot to do with why he didn’t look forward to his birthday as much as Andrew did. Andrew of course had no clue that Daniel was being reexamined on a regular basis. Daniel himself didn’t understand the reason NET was testing him over and over again. If they would just tell him what they wanted from him would gladly give it to them. Anything was better than enduring another examination.

Daniel held out his wrist, ready to be cuffed. This time however the lead examiner laughed… not a mere giggle or a sarcastic chuckle, but laughed hysterically, which seemed to never end. When he finally gained control of himself the usually pale Grey was as bright as a strawberry. “You really are amusing Daniel. Here you are, ready to give yourself up when you have nothing to worry about.”

“Worry?” Daniel didn’t know what this fool was thinking but he was not worried. By now he knew what to expect. What he was feeling was more like a person waiting to get a shot. You know the shot is coming so you tense up, which was how Daniel felt about this next exam. He knew what the test would be like, but it was not something he would ever look forward to.

“Ah Daniel… it seems we’ve trained you too well. I’ve summoned you here…” Examiner tapped his skull. “…to tell you we won’t be needing you this year.”

“No more tests?” It was all Daniel could do not to fall on his knees and not cry tears of relief.

“I didn’t say that, now did I? We won’t be testing you at this particular moment. That’s all.”

“When will the next test be?” By this point Daniel had fallen on his knees. He didn’t know what game NET was playing at but it had him completely confused. Not to mention terrified. After all these years a break in the pattern couldn’t be good.

“We’ll leave that up to fate. By the way congratulations on deciding to join the Academy. I’m certain you will learn everything there is towards being a proper Neo, even if you aren’t one… or are you?” The Examiner arched an eyebrow with the last comment.

“How did you know I would be attending?”

The NET agent wore a grin as wide as a clown’s. “Was there any doubt? You are a very interesting fellow Mr. Winters….” Seeing Daniel’s eyes go wide all five agents giggled like school girls “That’s right Daniel, we’ve finally learned your true name. We’ve even discovered your bloodline is as unique as you are, but we’ll get into that more during your next examination. By the way if you didn’t already know you and I will soon be neighbors. That’s right! The Academy is right next door to NET Central… so welcome to the neighborhood. I certain we will be seeing a lot of each other once you’ve arrived.” The Examiner mimic looking at a watch that wasn’t there. “Look at the time. Well it was good to see you again… neighbor, but duty calls. We’ll see each other soon enough…ta-ta.” The Examiner and the other four Greys turned around and left. As they disappeared behind a series of dune Daniel heard the Examiner sing a song Daniel remembered all too well from television. “Won’t you be mine? Won’t you be mine? Won’t you be my neighbor?”

Daniel recognized the song and understood its message. Though the Labatts had done everything they could to erase any record of Daniel’s past somehow NET had found out he had come from the New York slums. How else could they have known how often he would sit in his neighbor’s apartment listening to that very song while watching old reruns of a children’s television programs with the long dead Mr. North? They knew who he was and where he came from. Daniel didn’t know how that would benefit them but the fact they knew left him screaming.

      

Ten years have passed since Daniel returned to the Labatt Estate. During that time both he and Andrew have grown into a fine pair of young men. As today is their 18th birthday both boys have reached a crossroad in their lives. Will a guilt ridden Daniel denounce his privileged life to live as a monk or will he keep his promise to Andrew and never leave him?
Copyright © 2014 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..