Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 43,099 Words
  • 1,799 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Nanowars: Rebirth - 18. Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen: A Son’s Duty

 

Capitan Ryan Christopher Gains had no memories of his father, not even a photo. He not even known his name until his adoptive parents had revealed it to him. Still, he felt the connection. It had grow stronger since becoming one of the Dozens. Since meeting Karl it became one of the few things he thought about. If Karl was right, he should have been raised as one of the original Double Dozen. He was not bitter for he had found his true family. Avery was a key part of that family. If he was so dear to the originals then Ryan had to meet Avery and see if he felt the same connection.

“Well men are you ready?” Ryan asked his platoon.

“Sir yes sir.” All twenty six soldiers gave their captain a sharp salute. They were his men… his own Double Dozen. They were bonded to him and him to them.

“Scout team is to enter first followed by the second fire team. The rest will follow shortly after. I need not remind you that this is a one way trip. When we have obtained the target we will have to find our own way back.”

“We’re ready sir.” Neil, Ryan’s second in command and squad leader reported.

“Glad to hear it. Now move!”

The scouts went in and three minutes later followed by the second fire team and Ryan. If he expected to charge into a firefight he was greatly disappointed. The cavern he walked into was dead silent, the only sign of blood being the crimson glow from the walls. Through the bond he could sense his platoon’s unease. “Easy men. I know it looks strange but we’ve all been trained to deal with the unexpected. Radio check by the numbers.”

“Radios ain’t working captain.” His chief sergeant reported.

“We all read the same intelligence reports so we knew that was likely to happen. I take it our night vision gear is useless?”

“Yes Captain. All this red stuff is screwing with the system.”

“Keep them anyway. We might need them later on.”

Neil held out a round disk. “Look at your compass… mine’s all screwy.”

“Someone give Neil a cigar. I think he’s discovered why the radios aren’t working.” Ryan’s second in command Lieutenant Will Simms patted the specialist on the back. “There must be something producing a strong magnetic field.”

“I can think of something better than a cigar you can give me.” Neil pretended to grab his groin.

 

Good. At least his second in command was not so scared he couldn’t still joke around. “The first time we get off duty I’ll be more than happy to oblige,” Ryan promised. “Everyone check the rest of your gear. I want to know what works and what doesn’t. Most of your electronic gear is shielded against EMP but let’s make sure.”

“You heard the captain! One team at a time. Scouts you first.” The senior sergeant ordered.

While the sergeant supervised, Ryan, Neil, and the other squad commander, Will huddled together to work out their next move. “Without the compasses we’re going to be moving pretty blind.

Will agreed with Ryan’s assessment. “If only Winters had left us a few of Greene’s notes. We do have the partial map our hackers stole from Lordon.”

“Yeah but it’s based on a different entry point. No matter. Even with Dr. Greene’s notes Avery couldn’t have much of an idea where to head.” Ryan took out a quarter. “Heads we go up, tails down. He flip the coin and let it land on the ground. He leaned down to see what side was up. “It’s heads.”

“Up? Neil asked.

“Probably best we can do. If he didn’t know where else to go your friend would have headed to the surface. Sergeant!” Ryan shouted.

“Most the electronic stuff is useable. What little isn’t wouldn’t have been of much use in these caves,” the sergeant reported.

“Good. Get everything packed up. We’re heading out.”

 

 

 

 

Seeing Avery propped on the bed Puggles snuck up from behind. “Whatcha doing Avie?” Caught off guard Avery flatten himself on the bed. Whatever he had been doing now hidden Puggles enjoyed being a snoop. Not to rat them out but solely to annoy those dear to him.

Annoying Avery was never a good idea this early in the day. “Pugs, if you don’t turn around and leave I will let Movi have his way with you.”

Puggles could handle being threatened to be turn into a light bulb but Ave clearly knew what really scared Pugs. “You wouldn’t dare.”

“Try me.”

“But… but… Movi would…” Puggles glow flickered with to match his stammering. Movi was indeed meaner than most Watchers and he had certain desires he wanted no one but Pugs to fulfill.

“Git.”

“Meany!”

When he was sure Pugs was gone Avery took out what he had been hiding. “Sorry about that.” In his hands he held a tiny pup. He didn’t know how such a little thing helpless thing got all the way into the Segundo Palace but it was as cute as hell. “Now where were we? You were going to tell me why you came all this way to see me.”

The pup hopped on his hind legs and gave Avery a tiny lick on the nose. He then jumped off the bed and out the door.

Following the wolf, Avery was led to Everett’s study. “You want me to go in there?” The pup sneezed. “Alright. You go find someplace to hide while I go in.” For the brief second it took for him to knock the pup vanished from sight. “Where did you go?”

“Ave?”

He fell backwards. He hadn’t expected Everett to answer so soon. Lucky for him Everett military training had left him with quick reflexes.

“Whoa! Easy there. You almost hurt yourself.”

“Sorry.”

“If you’re going to apologize I can think of better uses for your lips.” Everett leaned into a kiss. He leaned too far actually. Before their lips could touch he fell on top of his beloved.

“More than happy to.” Though crush under his lover Avery could not stop from laughing. “Now it’s your turn to apologize.” Everett kissed his way down Ave’s body, undoing every button he came across along the way. While a kiss would have done for Avery. Everett’s concept of apologizing with his lips involved much more.

Avery knew he was the only one who got to experience this side of Everett. The side he showed all others was cold, calculating, and brutal in its logic. It had been that side that Talon refused to marry. Talon had lived a sheltered life. Avery knew so had he. Avery’s sole advantage was the notes Dr. Greene had left. The Maze would harden any man’s heart. Compared to Travis Walker, Everett Walker was a far kinder man.”

“So what were you coming to visit me for?” Everett asked while Avery buttoned himself back up.

“Just checking in on you.”

“How sweet but this time unnecessary. I was just about to send for you.”

“Oh?”

“I have a project for you?”

“What kind of project?”

“Nothing too demanding. You will enjoy it. How would you like to meet the sexiest man in the Maze?”

“Aren’t you that man?”

“Flattering but no… I know from deep physical examination that you are far sexier than anyone I’ve slept with.”

“Expect the guy you want me to meet whom I’m sure you have slept with.”

“Well, uhmmm… In my defense I’d like to say I’ve not slept with him since our bonding.”

“But you want me to justify you doing so in the future.”

“That’s not fair.” Everett protested. “I’ve kept my hands off Lanyon, haven’t I?”

“Because he has no desire to sleep with you and you are not a rapist.”

“Come on. It will be fun.”

Avery was about to say no when he heard someone sneeze. “Alright, I’ll go but that doesn’t mean I’ll sleep with him just so you can.”

“Good.” Everett handed Avery an id chain. “This will get you into the restricted zones. Not that you shouldn’t have any problems. They know you’re coming.”

“They ‘know’ I’m coming? What if I had said no?”

“Would you really have?” Everett did his best to look innocent but he failed big time.

“Let me guess you would have dragged me there kicking and screaming regardless what I said?”

“But you said yes.”

“I can always change my mind.”

“You wouldn’t dare!”

“Try me,” Avery laughed.

“You have any idea how many strings I had to pull with the Personas to raise your security clearance.

“Pulling the Personas’ strings… now that is something I would love to see.”

“Be careful Ave… it is very dangerous to joke about our masters.”

“Yours not mine.”

“Then for my sake. Please be more careful. I don’t know what I would do if I lost you.”

“I fear I do.” Avery was only half joking. Without him Everett would have little reason to restrain his more brutal side. Not much different than what happened with Travis when his father chose Karl’s dad over him. He would not risk the same happening to him.

The only hard part in reaching the restricted zone was passing through security to get on the proper trans-tube. As he stripped down he cursed Everett for not warning him he would have to change into a skin tight outfit that left nothing to the imagination. “If he thinks I’ll be coming back in this thing…”

It was on the tube that Avery met his first Bionoid. Like their Cybernoid cousins they were constructed not born. However, they were not true androids. Most of their bodies were made up of living tissue. When damaged they could heal themselves like any other living thing could only faster. While programmed with all the knowledge they were self learning as well as self motivated. Each develop a unique personality based on their experiences. Avery had to admit he liked them.

“It was nice meeting with you Scion of Dr. Winters”

“Just Avery.”

“Then Scion Avery… till the dawns Awakening, be well.”

“Awakening? What happens after the Awakening?” Avery asked. “Will I not be well?” The Bionoid left without a reply. “Stupid droid.”

When his ID flashed Green he reached his stop. At the exit to the station he was met by three Bionoids. “It is good you have come Avery Winters. If you will follow us we are ready to proceed with the experiment.”

At least this one called him by his proper name. Maybe this one would also be good enough to answer his questions. “What is the Awakening?”

“Awakening… that is what happen at the end of sleep.”

“Not I am awakening from a dream but THE Awakening.”

“I’m, sorry I do not know how to answer your question.”

“Do not know or won’t.”

“I’m, sorry Avery but I cannot answer an ill-defined question.”

“But you should… one of your fellows told me… till the Awakening, be well. What sort of waking up was he talking about?”

“If you give me his ID and manufacturing lot number I can pass on your question to him.”

“Hell… I give up.”

“One should never give up on the future.”

“Huh…?”

“Here we are sir. Step into the elevator. When it opens you will be met by the head of the Scion research team.”

“That’s that word again… what do you mean by Scion?”

Avery had barely stepped inside when the doors slammed shut. “Be well sir.”

“Why won’t any of you answer my questions?” Avery was tempted to bash his head against the elevator door.

“Bark, bark!”

His eyes darted toward the sound. There, dancing on two feet was the wolf pup. “How the hell did you get in here?” This time Avery swore he would not take his eyes off the animal.

Even when the elevator open he did not let himself be distracted.

“Avery, if you will follow me we can begin.” The Bionoid grabbed Avery by the wrist and yanked him into the hall.”

“Hey?”

“Sorry sir, we are on a tight schedule.”

Before he could look back the elevator doors had closed without leaving a sign of the wolf.

The halls he was led down were made of solid grey floor to ceiling metal with not one door or window in sight. Every now and then they passed a patrolling Cybernoid but otherwise the corridors were empty.

This time Avery didn’t bother asking his guide any of the questions boiling in his mind. He suspected he would get the same non-answers the others had given him and he would be right.

“Stand here.”

“Here?” Avery asked a bit confused. They had stopped at a dead end.

“Here.” The Bionoid pointed to the floor.

Just to be sarcastic he shifted three inches to the right. “So here.”

“There.” A wall slammed between Avery and Bionoid, leaving him trapped.

“Everett if this is your idea of a joke you’ll come to regret it.”

White steam vented from spouts built into the corners of cubicle. As it filled the room Avery’s bodysuit began to melt leaving every part below his neck covered in a clear gelatinous membrane. As hot air streamed blasted down on him the floor sunk beneath him into a much larger room.

There waiting for him was indeed the most beautiful man he had ever laid eyes on. Lacking any better word to describe him he was an Angel.

“Who are you?”

“I… am… Clive ? Who… are… you.” The angel understood English but clearly unused to speaking it.”

“My name is Avery… Avery Winters.”

“Avery?” I like that….name. Will I like you?” With his words coming out faster and more smoothly the man was either a quick learner or something else was going on.

“I hope so.”

“I hope so as well.” The man grinned. He then offered him his hand. Avery took it expecting them to shake but instead was thrown across the room. He hit the wall like a pound of soft clay. Before he knew it the man had him pinned to the wall. “Why are you here?” he demanded. The angel’s friendly demeanor had completely disappeared. In its place was the man’s tone of rage.

“I was asked to come.”

“By whom?”

“By the Segundo.”

“Why?”

“I think he wanted me to have sex with you.”

“Is that all? You’re not here to spy?” The angel pressed Avery harder against the metal wall.

“Stop it Clive. You’re hurting him.” The voice coming from the vent was that of a young boy.

“Stay out of this Jack.” A young but older voice shouted.

“No… Puppy wants you to stop and so do I.”

“The wolf’s back?” The voice coming from the vent was now that of an older youth.

“Puppy came back and because he had Mr. Avery with him.”

The Angel gave Avery’s neck a final squeeze before letting go. “So you’re the one my nephew has been obsessing about. I hope you’re worth it.”

It took a while for Avery to catch his breath. “You sent that wolf to find me?”

“Jack did but I was against it.” Even with Jack’s reassurance Clive still didn’t trust their guest.

“Puppy only brings good people to us. Isn’t that right puppy.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah we all know that wolf is a lot smarter than you Jack.” The other kid said.

“Maybe he is Sven but I’m still a thousand times smarter than you.”

“You three are related aren’t you?”

“Why do you say that?” Clive asked

“You fight like brothers.”

“Sven and Jack are cousins… I’m just an old friend of the family.”

“No you’re our Uncle Clive.” Jack insisted.

Avery could hear Sven laughing. “I told you he’s stupid.”

“Am not.”

“Are so.”

“Enough you two.” Clive silenced the pair. “Now what are we to do with you?”

“Maybe answer a few of my questions.”

“If you answer a few of ours we might. But first I need to make sure you won’t lie to us.” Clive lifted Avery onto his feet and pinned him against the wall. “This won’t hurt a bit.” Squeezing either side of Avery’s jaw he pried his mouth open long enough to feed him his bond. It didn’t have the effect he intended. Instead of Avery, it was he who was overcome with desire. “What… what are you?”

Avery responded with a question of his own. “Why did you do that?”

“To leash you to me.”

“Leash?”

“So you would never think of betraying us.”

“I would I betray you.”

“You will. You are one of them.”

“Do you mean Everett?”

“And the Personas. Do you have any idea what they do to us here?”

“No but I can imagine. Where I come from people from a group called Lordon did things to my friends… horrible things. I would never let them do to you what they did to us.”

“Then why are you here?”

“To find my father.”

“See Clive … I told you he’s different.” Jack felt triumphant. “He wouldn’t have a dad if he was one of them.”

Clive was not convinced. “He might be lying.”

“I’m not. I only came to this world to find dad and bring him home.”

“And where is home?”

“Earth.”

“Earth? What part of the Maze is that? Describe it to me,” Clive demanded. He knew of Earth but wanted to make sure Avery did as well.

“Well its round, has a blue sky, yellow sun, forest, lakes, oceans, plains deserts. There are over 7 billion of use and…”

Jack jumped in. “See I told you. No one from the Maze would know any of that.”

Sven agreed. “Not even the Personas have lived under a yellow sun.”

“You’ve been to Earth?” Avery asked.

Clive let out a deep sigh. “The cousins have.”

“We liked Earth… much better than this stupid Ark. Right Puppy?” Jack’s pup howled in agreement.

“How did you get here?” Avery asked.

“He forced us to come here.”

“Who?”

“Julian!” Clive shouted the name with hatred.

Avery stepped back. Clive’s hatred scared even the cousins.

“What now?” Sven asked after a long silence.

“I need to get you guys out of here.” Avery stared into Clive cold eyes and pitied him.

“See Uncle Clive. I told you he was coming to save us,” Jack said.

Sven was less than impressed. “He hasn’t saved us yet.”

“But he will. I know he will,” Jack replied.

“Why would you?” A hairline crack opened in Clive’s hateful expression.

“Because of my friends back home. I saw what Lordon did to them. I won’t let it happen to you.” Avery turned to show the scars lining his spine.

“No… are those?”

“Lordon tried to attach a parasite to me soon after I was born. They thought they could use it to control me. It died in the attempt but left these scarred. Lordon did the same to my friends. Unlike me those attempts didn’t fail… not at first at least.”

“Uncle Clive …” Jake’s trembling voice reflected his fear. He and the others knew exactly what these parasites were… the despised bastard offspring of his and Sven’s grandfather youngest children, the last born Symbiotes, also known as the Omegas.

“It’s alright. I would have known if he was one of them.” Clive turned his cold gaze on Avery. “And you would be dead.”

“Then you and I feel the same. That is why I’m here.” Ave said only for Sven to point out that’s not what Avery had said at first. He had first told them he was searching for his father. “That’s why I’m trying to find him. He’s the only one I know who can help me fight these things.”

“If you are looking for a weapon to uses against the Symbionts you’re looking at it,” Clive said.

“I don’t understand.”

Jack shouted; “Show him Uncle Clive.”

“Do I dare? After all this time will I give the Personas what they’ve tried to steal from me?”

Sven whispered; “If it’s going to be anyone it might as well be him.”

“I…” Tears dripped down Clive ivory pale skin.

Avery was confused. A moment ago the angel looked ready to kill him. The way he was now looking at him was completely different.

Clive who still had Avery pinned to the wall, loosened his grip but did not let go. Stretching his wings to their full length he wrapped both of them inside. The insides the feathery cocoon were well lit with the soft silvery light radiating from the wings’ feathers.

With Everett Avery had been overwhelmed by the man’s commanding presence. Clive had his own commanding aura. But where Everett’s was fuel by him power, the Angel’s was based on love. Against both Ave knew he was helpless.

They kissed. And like with Everett, Clive passed him his bond. Compared to the Segundo, the Angels was ten times more potent.

They had barely parted with three Cyberiod stormed in. “Forgive me…but we had to know.”

The androids cuffed and collared Avery. A Bionoid then injected a sedative into his neck. “Return him to the Segundo. I will inform Prime of the experiment’s success.” The Persona, Medica, remained for a bit after the Cybernoids went to execute their orders. “Prince Clive.”

“Bitch. Couldn’t you have left him with me a little longer?”

“I had no choice. The Segundo was observing everything. I’m sorry your highness, but my research comes first.”

“Don’t hurt him.” Clive begged.

“Interesting. Does he already mean that much to you?” the Persona asked. When Clive remained silent the Persona laughed sadistically as she left the cell.

Now only the Bionoid remained.

Clive licked lips. He could still taste Avery lips on them. “He’s not like the others.

“Then I will do what I can to protect him,” the Bionoid promised. “Till the Awakening, be will.”

“Be well Animani.”

 

 

 

Chapter Nineteen: Strike and Counterstrike

 

 

 

The time had come to strike.

It had taken weeks of planning but Karl’s people were finally in position to take control of Big Rock’s Eye installation.

Until the night of the attack, Karl had insisted on leading the charge but Cal insisted he was too important to risk. While the loss of the newer Dozens would be tragic, the core of the gestalt had to survive. That would leave the strike force with none of the Originals. But as Cal said, the survival of the first Double Dozen had to come first.

As the last few minutes to zero hour clicked away, Karl could only watch from the Fisher Industries command and control bunker in the special ops training center. From there he could watch and listen to the progress of each solider.

Cal’s voice came out clear on the encrypted line. “Teams report.”

“Team one ready…”

“Team two ready…”

While the teams continued to report in, one of the originals stood. “Karl are you sure it was a good idea to give Cal command?” It was Trey. He was not the first to share his misgivings about leaving the operation to Cal.

“They’re his people we’re sending into harm’s way. It’s his right to lead them.” Karl had heard it all before. He knew how insulting it was to let the newer Dozens lead the rescue for Avery. They didn’t know Avery like the originals did. Given his friends understood what they were really fighting for, they each felt their commitment to the success of the mission should have given them the right to lead the attack. “Guys we’re not soldiers. Not yet at least. Cal’s people are all members of Special Forces. They’re among the best of the best and have had years of intense training.”

“We’ve been training too.” Trey pointed out as his face had turned red.

“Not like theirs.”

“But…” The C&C lights flashed and everyone went silent as the countdown clock had hit zero.

“Teams 3, 6, 9 and 12 proceed with plan Alpha. You have fifteen minutes to secure the center of town. Teams 1, 2, 5 and 7 take out the harbor and the airfield. Teams 4, 8, 10 you have a go on plan Delta. Take out the outer defense post. Gunships A and B… the radar targets are yours. C, D and E stand by to offer fire support.”

Calvin, Big Rock’s star basketball player was the first to break the silence. “It seems to be going to plan.”

Karl didn’t let his eyes leave the bank of screens showing the satellite images and live video feeds from the Apache gunships. “It seems to be.”

Suddenly, a bright heat signature from the Eye installation was caught on the video. A few minutes later the satellite feed went dead.

“What was that?” Karl demanded.

“They must have fired an anti-satellite missile. Intel must not be as good as we thought it was.” Cal’s apology was succinct and to the point which was very unlike him.

“Should we pull back?” An original asked. There was a long silence before Karl answered.

“No. We won’t get a better chance at this.” His hesitation bothered Karl as he had been the one pressing for the attack to happen a soon as possible. Had he made a mistake?

“Town center secure.”

“Harbor secure.”

Karl sighed with relief. “Finally some good news.”

It was soon followed by bad. “Delta Teams 4, 8 and 10 report.” Cal got no reply. “Gunship C do you have a fix on Delta?”

“Yes sir… they must be experiencing some sort of radio jamming I can barely hear them.” The Apache pilot could hardly hear over the static.

“Can you find its source?”

“It’s coming from somewhere near the airfield.”

“Groups Alpha and Beta converge on the airport. Gunships D and E give them support. Take out that jammer.”

“I might not be a general but is it wise for us to send 2/3rds our force out of communication range?” Trey asked.

“Cal knows what he’s doing.”

“Are you sure?” Calvin asked.

Karl didn’t need to look around the room to see the concern on the faces since he could feel it through the bond. “Cal… abort.”

“What?” Cal asked.

“Pull our people back.”

“But sir we’ve taken two thirds of the island. We won’t get a second chance at this.”

“Pull back. Can’t you see they’re heading into an ambush?”

“But…”

There was a blinding flash and all the radios went dead. In the C&C the room was filled with the screams of the Originals as they felt the lives of 300 hundred of the new dozens burned to ashes in the fires of a nuclear explosion.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

At Lordon’s headquarters in D.C., Julian had watched with glee as he witnessed the fall of everything his nemeses had built. With the Eye secured, he was ready to move onto phase two. “Is our strike team in position?”

The communication officer nodded. “Yes sir. They are ready to move on the Fisher compound at your command.”

“It is given.”

The office sent the encrypted code phrase. “Ice cream, Ice cream the fudge is hot and ready.”

“Won’t they fight to the death?” The Pentagon observer asked.

“No… the psychic feedback of so many deaths has left them quite helpless. They will offer no resistance.”

“You seem to have thought this through. Now about payment...”

“Don’t I already pay enough in taxes?”

“I’ve read your file. In your quarterly filing, you claimed 100 million in credits and 500 million in loss deductions.”

“Those losses were the result of this Eye mess.”

“That the government had to clean up. We deserve something in return.”

“What’s your price? A half billion, 1 billion…”

“We want Lordon.”

“You got to be kidding. I didn’t ask for your assistance just so you can steal my life’s work.”

“You can keep the Eye installation and all related research including Lordon’s medical and financial branch but everything else…weapons, viruses, and other such projects are to be handed over to the government.” The observer handed a dossier listing what subsidiaries of Lordon the government would absorb.”

“And what will you do with the company… You government bureaucrats have no clue how to run private enterprise.”

“We will not be running its day to day operations.”

“Who will then?”

The observer stood to leave. “That’s classified. Good night Dr. Lordon.”

Julian would have his people try to determine who would be heading Lordon but he already had a chief suspect. Something this underhanded could only be thought up by one person. It had her fingerprints all over it. “Damn you Amanda.”

 

__________________________________________________________________

 

Upon getting word of the arrival the off-worlders, Travis ordered Lance to bring them to him. It had been such a long time since the demon had the pleasure of pure Homo Sapiens. Lance too hungered for the taste of fresh blood.

Tobias was the most excited. “Can’t you see it? They’ve come for Avery.”

“That’s probably true but what do you expect me to do about it? Travis will have my head if I fail to deliver them.” Lance replied for the fifth time.

“You could always…” At any other time the idea of Lance bonding to anyone other than him would trigger a bout of jealousy but with Avery’s life at stake he was willing to make sacrifices.

“Why not you? You were always more tightly bound to Harry than I was. If you bond with them, I can still give them to Travis and he won’t be any the wiser.”

“He’ll know if they don’t change.”

“Not if he senses Harry’s touch on them.”

“That would save them from the worst Travis could do to them.” Tobias had to agree on that point. The problem was he had never bonded with anyone other than Lance. “I’m still not sure. What if his bond overwhelms mine?”

“That won’t happen. He won’t risk destroying the part of Harry you will give them with his taint.”

“But will we be able to trust them?”

“Once they see what they’re up against, they’ll see they have no other choice.”

“Where are they?”

“The Tower.”

“That’s quite a hike. Not to mention it freezing cold on the surface. Unless you have a spare pressure suit there’s no way I can make it there.”

“I’ll take you as far as you can without a suit and then bring them back to you.”

“When do we leave?”

“At once. I don’t want to risk another of Travis’ captains getting to them first.” Lance handed Tobias a cloak made of Spiderwolf hide. His lover handled it like a cobra. “I know you hate wearing it but I can’t risk you being recognized.” Even after all this time, the name of Tobias Greene would send Travis into a fit of rage.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Twenty: Base of Operations

 

 

 

After making several wrong turns Ryan finally led his team to the surface. And what a sight it was. The sky consisted of a constellation of over a dozen planetoids circling around a a neutron star with enough magnetic force to rip polar water molecules into their gaseous components. Why it hadn’t made life in the Maze impossible was a mystery that none were in a rush to solve.

Having found the Tower they made it their main base. After three Earth weeks they had developed a stable routine. At any one time two patrols would be out expanding their map of the Maze while the remainder worked on fortifying their base.

“Are you alright Captain?” Neil hated interrupting the captain but after spending three days on the top of the Tower he and the rest of the men were growing concerned.

“Come here Neil.” Ryan waved the Specialist to join him at the foot of the throne. “Tell me… what do you see.”

“I see a skull with a silly crown.”

Ryan handed him the crown. “Look what’s carved inside.”

Along the inner rings were roman letters. “Is this Latin?”

“Praestablis Universal Gnosis.”

“What does that mean?”

“I don’t know. The closest I can guess is that it has to do with universal knowledge. Now look at the front. See the empty sockets?”

“Yeah… four gems are missing.”

“Here.” Ryan handed Neil a clear diamond.

“What do you want me to do with this?”

“Ryan showed Neil the gem he held before swallowing it.”

“Sir!” Ryan tackled Neil. Taking the jewel he forced Neil to swallow it.

Only then did the gems take effect. Ryan’s eyes went deep blue while Neil’s went red. Both felt their bodies catch fire with the heat of passion. At some point they lost consciousness. When Ryan reopened his eyes he found purple sphere of light floating over them.

“Ello. Uhm… ello? ELLOOOO!” The sphere of light spoke using the voice of a young boy.

“Why hello. Who are you?”

“Me? You don’t know who I am papa? That makes Raya sad.”

“Hear that Neil? Looks like we had a baby girl.”

“I’m not a girl. I’m a boy!”

“Raya’s not a girl’s name?”

“Of course not papa.”

“How about we call you Ray. That’s a proper name for a boy.”

“Ray? Like a laser ray. Ray is a super weapon! Ain’t that right papa?”

“Cute little bugger isn’t it?” Ryan said. He could tell Neil was dumbfounded.

“That’s our kid?” Neil asked.

“I don’t know of kid is the right term but we did create him.”

“You … you knew this would happen.” Neil tried to pull away but ended up falling flat on his ass.

“Papa N… are you okay?”

“Aye… only that’s hurt is my pride.”

“Okeydokey.”

Ryan helped Neil back to his feet. “Can’t you see he’s the perfect scout? Isn’t that right Ray?”

“Ray is super secret spy!”

“Well he’s not lacking for enthusiasm.” Ryan laughed. More than having a new member had changed between them. Ryan’s hair had gone from red to straw blond while Neil’s were made up of dark locks.

“Sir?” Lieutenant who had just entered the room nearly drew his gun when he saw the changes his commander and Neil had undergone.

Ryan looked down at Neil, and winked. Neil grinned and nodded in agreement. “Don’t look so lost for words Will. Git over here. We have something to show you. Don’t we Neil?”

“Oh yes. We most certainly do.”

Circling around like a whirlwind Ray watched the three’s lovemaking with great interest. “Whatcha doing Papa R?”

“Nothing you need to see. How about you go introduce yourself to the other men.”

“You mean I have uncles? Yay!”

Will watched as the purple sphere darted from the room like a comet. “What is that thing?”

“You really want to know?” Ryan reached into Will’s camo’s and gave him a squeeze. A sweet blue sap streamed from between their lips.

“Maybe latter.”

 

 

           

 

Cal found Karl naked and chained spread-eagled to the wall. All over his body were cuts and bleeding sores where Symbionts had attempted to rebind him. His continued defiance proved Lordon had yet to succeed. That is why, after weeks of begging on Cal’s part, they allowed the two to meet. “Oh Karl what have they done to you.”

“Cal… is that you?” For the last three week since Avery’s disappearanced into the Maze Karl asked himself how things could have gone so wrong. Lordon always knew that the Dozen would come back to claim the Eye but it was as if they had known their entire attack plan. It was not until Cal paid him a visit that the impossibility of betrayal had be proven all too real. “Please tell me it wasn’t you. Tell me you didn’t betray us.”

“I did it to save you… save all of us. You would have gotten everyone killed if you kept chasing after that guy. ”

“Save us… do you know how many of us you murdered?”

“Murder? They were already dead. Can’t you understand? One way or another Lordon is going to win. Better we join Julian and live than die.”

“Why Cal. Why did you do it?” Karl demanded.

“I already said I did it to save you. What other reason could I have?”

“You mean Avery had nothing to do with it.”

Cal slapped both hands over his ears so as to not hear the hated name spoken again. “Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. I never want to hear you say his name ever again.”

“Or what? You’ll kill me like you did the others?”

Cal went back to playing the sweet innocent. “Of course not my love. Just try to look at the big picture. I’ve given you wealth, status, connections…even my entire company. What has he ever given you? You two haven’t even slept together. Think about it… Fisher and Labatt Industries or Labatt and Fisher. Hell, you can name it whatever you want. All you have to do is given Julian what he wants. He’s not asking that much is he?”

“He wants to enslave me just as he’s enslaved you with this fantasy that you and I still have a future.”

Cal’s dropped the false cheerful tone in his voice. “If you do not take me up my offer the next one won’t be so generous.”

“You can threaten me all you want I won’t go back to being a lab rat.”

“Even for the sake of your friends.” A bald man dressed in a dark suit and two gun toting guards chose the moment to join them. “Hello Karl. Do you know who I am?”

“Let me guess. You are the infamous Julian Lordon.”

“See Cal… he does have a head on his shoulder. Now, if you don’t mind, I would like a moment alone with your husband.”

“But…” Before Cal could say more the two guards dragged Cal out kicking and screaming.

“Off you go then.” When the door closed the room went completely silent.

Karl was the first to break the silence. “I won’t give you what you want.”

“Not even for the sake of you dear Avery?” Julian asked.

“If you dare harm his I’ll kill you.” Karl struggled to free himself with all his enhanced strength but he could not break the chains that held him.

As Karl fought to free himself Julian could only laugh. When Karl gave up Julian leaned towards his prisoner and whispered; “You already tried to have me killed and look where it’s left you. Will you finally listen to reason or will I have to kill the original Dozens one by one until you do.”

“If it is the Dozens you want why not kill me and use Cal as my replacement.”

Julian slapped Karl in the face. “Think fool!” If you could be replaced wouldn’t I have done so by now? If anyone is to be killed it will be the Winters. He’s the whole reason Omega Project almost failed. If I could break his connection to you and the other Dozens we would not be experiencing such difficulty with your reconditioning.”

“Good luck finding him!”

“Oh we know where he is. Getting to him however is proving to be more difficult than I first thought. I therefore have a proposition for you. Accept partial recondition and I will let you join your friend in the Maze.”

“What do you mean by partial?”

“As I said. So long as your connection to Winters remains intact the Symbiont cannot control you… not fully at least. It will prevent you from creating more Dozens, which is more important than the continuation of the project. I stop your spreading of your diseased anima to the rest of mankind and you get Avery back. Fair bargain, no?”

Giving up on future Dozens was a heavy price but without Avery the Originals could not survive. “After I get Avery back how do I know you won’t have him killed?”

“You don’t. I don’t know you won’t find some way to start creating Dozens. We have no choice but to trust each other.”

“What of Cal?”

“What of him?”

“You were the one who turn him traitor.”

“I might have had a small part in it, yes. Why do you ask?”

“I don’t want him to remain one of the Dozens.”

“You want him killed?”

“I want him to live out the rest of his life with the emptiness of no longer being one of us.”

“Cruel but it can be done. I must warn you he is not likely to survive long.”

“He is not to be killed.”

“Oh the procedure won’t kill him. His despair of no longer being one of you will quickly lead him to quickly end his own life.”

“Good, after all the good people he killed he deserves nothing less.”

“We have a bargain then?”

“Yes.” A team of scientist and surgeons stormed in as soon as Karl gave his answer.

“I’ve kept my best medical team on standby.” Julian explained. “Once you’ve been re-implanted with a Symbiont one of my followers will discuss your plans for rescuing your friend. We won’t meet again. Ta-ta.”

The moment Juluian stepped out of the room a representative of the Board intercepted him. “Very well played your grace. Threatening the lives of the survivors regardless of the Board’s ruling.”

“It was for the good of all mankind.”

“You can be certain that your sweeps didn’t catch them all. Their children will be just as dangerous with or without a Symbiont.”

“I’ve come up with a solution for that.” Julian handed the rep a dossier marked top secret.

The Board member read the title. “NET?”

“The Nano Extermination Taskforce…when it’s up and running we will be able to hunt down the Dozens and eliminate them.”

“It might take years… especially if they go into hiding.”

“True. In fact we might never rid the world of them completely. It is but one step to achieving a grander goal… the triggering of a true Awakening.”

 

Chapter Twenty-One: Fake

 

 

Lying on the bed Avery watched Lanyon busy himself about the room, dusting furniture, folding clothes and making light conversation. Something had changed. Gone were his suspicions of Everett. Gone was his need to watch Avery’s every move. Gone was his desire to sleep with him. Something indeed had changed but for the life of him Avery could not point to the moment when it started to bother him.

“Sit with me.” Avery patted the spot on the bed next to him.

Sure, why not.” Lanyon went to the exact spot Avery had pointed to and sat down.

“Hey, want to lay down?”

“I can.” He laid back as flat as a board, his eyes aim at the ceiling.

“What’s wrong Lan? You haven’t been yourself lately.

“Nothing’s wrong. I feel perfectly fine.”

“You’re lying. You’ve always have something to complain about.”

“I don’t this time.”

“Kiss me.”

“Sure.” Lanyon turned his head to face him, gave him a quick peck and went back to staring upward.

Avery pounced on him. “What the hell is wrong with you?”

“Nothings wrong. I feel perfectly fine.”

“Yes there is something wrong you’re acting just like a…” Thunderstruck and horrified by his sudden realization Avery ran from the room and out of the palace. “It can’t be true. It can’t be.” But it was... the Personas had experimented on Lan. He didn’t want to believe it but he was certain it was true. Who could he tell? Everett? Talon? Puggles? Everett probably had known from the start. He might have even given the order. Talon… he had the spine of a slug. The idea of going to Puggles was laughable. That left only one person he could turn to. Grabbing his collar he was relieved to find he had his security pass.

At first Avery’s access to the prisoners was quite limited but as the Personas gained vital data from each meeting they allowed him more and more access to them. So long as it didn’t interfere was other experiments he could visit Clive and the cousins anytime.

With his emotions running out of control and tears streaming he was certain he would be blocked from entering. Shockingly no one stopped him. When he entered the cell Clive was there ready to catch him.

“God Ave… what did they do to you.”

“Puppy knows.” Jack too was crying.

“Be quite… I want to hear it from Ave.” Since their first meeting Clive coldness had slowly thawed into mutual respect if not deep affection. All three had come to care for Ave. He was nothing like the others. He was like them.”

As upset as he was best Avery could do was stammer. “I think… I think they’ve replaced Lan with a Bionoid.”

“Oh gosh Ave… I’m so sorry. If we knew they would…”

“You knew? You knew this would happen?”

“We didn’t know. We knew there was a chance they might replace him. The Personas are monsters, yes, but they’ve never gone as far as replace a living person.”

“I’m scared… what if they try to do the same to us. I don’t want to be a machine.” Jack howled. He had completely lost it.

With Avery wailing, and Jack screaming Clive didn’t know where to begin. “Puppy can’t you do something for him?” Jack let out a final scream then went silent. “Thanks. I’ll deal with Ave.” He carried Avery to the small bed and laid on top of him. He was burning and covered in sweat but he shivered as if he were freezing. “Oh Ave… I didn’t want to do it like this but I don’t know what else I can do for you.”

For the second time Clive gave Avery his bond but this time it was only to calm him enough so he could enter his mind. He found many happy memories as well as those that continued to haunt Avery. He witnessed the night Avery lost his father, the day Karl confessed his love for him, and the events that led him and Lanyon into the Maze. Finally he reached the point where Avery had learned the truth of the Bionoids. He lifted those memories from Ave’s mind and took them as his own. He then sent him into a deep dreamless sleep.

“Did you have to do that?” Sven asked after Clive was done.

“Would you rather he learned the entire truth?” Clive asked Sven.

“The Personas wouldn’t care. They’ll see it as a chance to gain more data for the Segundo Project.”

“It would destroy him Sven. Surely you realize that. They’d take him from that fairytale castle and put him with us.”

“I’m sure you would just love that.”

“Shut up Sven. You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I most certainly do. You’re falling for him. Only natural given his the only real man you’ve been allowed to touch for centuries.”

“Shut up… He might hear you,” Owen and Sven heard Jack shout.

“What if he does?” Sven asked.

“Because the truth would only cause him pain,” Clive insisted.

Sven let out a sarcastic laugh. “Cruel… if you ask me you’re the cruel one. He has the right to know the truth.”

“No he doesn’t.”Jack was still crying but had calmed down considerably. “Bad Puppy. I’ve told you no more biting. No biting. Understand?”

“Don’t take it out on him. Sorry Jack. I was the one who ordered him to do it,” Own said apologetically.

Clive thought about it for a moment then said; “I agree. I say we vote.”

“Vote on what?” Sven asked.

“Vote on whether we let Uncle Avery learn truth,”Jack said.

“Hey, that’s not fair,” Sven complained. “I already know how you two will vote.”

“Family rules.” Jack pointed out.

“Family rules.” Clive agreed smugly.

“But you’re not really family,” Sven pointed out.

“I most certainly am. I might have a different grandfather from you and Jack but we do share the same grandmother.”

“I say he’s family so there.” Jack sprayed a raspberry into the vent.

“You might as well give Avery a vote then. That’s only fair. Let’s ask him if he wants the truth.”

“No.” Jack shouted. His rising anger were starting to get the better of him again.

“Sven, if only for your cousin’s sake we can’t let Avery know the truth,” Clive insisted.

“But he’s going to find out eventually. Wouldn’t it be better for us to tell him than finding out on his own? What will he think of us when he learns we kept something his important from him? I tell you two nothing good will happen.” Sven continued to not understand why the others were insisting on leaving Avery in the dark.

“Then we can’t let him go back.” The tone of cold steel Clive used when he first met Avery had returned.

“I like that idea. Let’s vote on it.” Jack’s jumping up and down on the metal floor could be heard by all three of them.”

“That’s not fair Clive. You can’t insist he stay here without him knowing why.” This time Sven was the one who was crying.

“You’re right. It’s not fair. Nothing about this place is fair. He’ll go home and find out the truth on his own. If and when we get out of here I’ll make certain they’re buried so deep he’ll only remember what happened in his deepest dreams. It’s the only way he will ever be able to live a normal life. Agreed?”

Sven was the first of the cousins to vote. “Agreed. It’s the only way.”

Jack was less corporative. “But I don’t want him forgetting about us.”

“It’s the only way.” Both Sven and Clive whispered.

“Fine… be that way. You might make him forget but I’ll never forget Uncle Avery.”

           

            _____________________________________________________________________

 

When he awoke Avery found himself riding the tube back to the palace. He couldn’t remember how he got there or where he had been coming from. He was just glad he didn’t miss his stop.

At the steps to the palace he was met by Puggles. “Hide me Ave.”

“Hide you from what?”

“Movi. He won’t leave me alone.”

Avery couldn’t help but laugh at Pugs situation. “That’s cause his fond of you.”

“No he’s not he’s a big meany.”

“Mean people can fall in love too.”

“That doesn’t mean they suddenly become nice.”

“True… You win. Hide as long as you want. Just don’t stay in there too long or Talon will get upset.”

“Thanky.” Puggles dove into Avery, his light and warmth filling him.

At dinner Avery noticed Lanyon was missing. “Where’s Lan?”

“I think he told me he was going out to explore the Maze. Must be getting antsy to get back home,” the Segundo explained.

“He left and didn’t tell me?” Avery said surpised.

“He knew you would have insisted coming along.” Everett said between sips of soup.

“Yes I would have.” Avery felt his face flush.

“Which is why he didn’t tell you. He and I both feel better when we know you’re safe.”

“Nothing about this place is safe.” Avery felt the need to point out.

“Some places are safer than others.” Everett said darkly.

After dinner the two went to bed and made love where Everett, once again, shared his bond. The Segundo would have spent the entire night watching Avery as he slept but he received an emergency summons by the Personas. “I love you Ave. I always will.”

As soon as he was gone Puggles shot out from his hiding spot like a cannon ball. “Oh Puggles… what did I get myself into?” Being the snoop he had shifted through Avery’s mind seeing if he could find anything he could use to blackmail Avery to make certain Avery wouldn’t kick him out. Amongst those memories he found the ones that Clive had intentional closed off. What he learned had him regretting ever spying on anyone. But what was he to do now? “Puggles gots to meet Clive . He’ll protect Puggles.” With that Pugs dived back inside Avery for the long haul.

 

 

Chapter Twenty-Two: Making Contact

 

 

Ryan, Neil and Will were the first to notice the change in their connection to Karl. It hit them hard as if their entire family had died in a freak accident. This sense of loss quickly spread to the rest of the men. For a while all patrols stopped. Not even Ray’s giddy bubbliness could cheer them. But as their link to Karl weakened their connection to each other grew tenfold. At the same time their need and determination to find Avery became paramount.

“Sir… we’ve mapped out five new grids and are ready to move on to the next sector.” After 8 days out in the Maze Will and his team were overdue for a break but here he was pressing to go out again.

The Captain wasn’t about to let him do that. “Not yet Lieutenant. I have another mission for you. Ray has seen increased activity here and here.” Ryan pointed to two lower regions just off the map.

“What sort of activity.”

“Hard to tell…” Ryan had to force back from laughing.

“Huh?”

“Ray is just a child he wouldn’t know the difference between a Spiderwolf or a Mantis. The best we’ve been able to come up with is getting him to count their number of legs.”

“Oh god… you got to be kidding me.” Will let out a deep sign and continued to listen.

“We’re still working on it.” Ryan said as he pointed to a different spot on the map. “Anyway… last time he came back he reported seeing people.”

“People?”

“Something walking on two legs. There’s a lot of them and they’re headed straight for us.”

“Looks like they know we’re here.”

“And they know the tunnels better than we do which is why I want you to lead both fire teams and set up an ambush here.” The Captain pointed to a spot halfway from where Ray and seen the intruders and their main base. Giving the direction they’re headed they have no choice but to pass through this intersection.”

“They could double back and circle around us and use these tunnels.” Will pointed to two different tunnels on the grid.

“They could but only if they know where we plan to meet them. Just in case I’ve sent Ray to cover that area. Hopefully that’ll give you enough advance warning to pull back before being outflanked.”

“Can we really trust the kid not to mess up?”

“He understands his orders. Do you understand yours?” Ryan said in a tone that made it clear he would not put up with the Lieutenant messing things up.

“Sir, yes sir. I’ll have everything in place in two hours.” Will gave his commanding officer a sharp salute.

Ryan returned the salute. “Then see to it Lieutenant.” Ryan was pleased to see Will hurry to organize his men.

“Uhmm Papa?” Though he had a month to get used to it Ryan still jumped each time Ray mentally communicated with him.

“Yes Super Private.” With everyone else having military rank it had not taken Ray long to ask for one of his own.

“I did as you ask.”

“And? Did you see the enemy?”

“I did but I don’t think they’re really all that bad. At least one of them is real nice.”

“You’re talking to them?”

“You told me never to talk to strangers. But can’t I listen.”

“You can. What are they saying?”

“They said they know why you’ve come here and want to help. They want to meet with you. What do you want me to say?”

“Just give me a sec.” Ryan knew better than to take Ray’s word on the friendliness of the enemy but if there was any way of avoiding a fight he would gladly take it. Even more so if they were to offer intel on where to find Winters. “Ray?”

“Yes Papa?”

“Remember where our special meeting place is?”

“Yes. You made me promise never to forget.”

“Good. I’m proud of you. I want you to lead those people you met over there. I’ll meet you there. Good job Super Private.”

“Okeydokey Captain.”

“Runner!” Ryan wrote up a new set of orders and sent them off to Will. The spot Ray was leading the enemy towards was near where he had planned the ambush. Knowing Ray’s bubbliness he was sure Will would have plenty of time to reach the meeting point before the enemy.

Not willing to risk his own men without him Ryan grabbed his M-16. “I’m heading out. Neil you are with me. The rest of you take defensive positions and prepare to receive anyone who comes back injured.

“You really think there’s going to be trouble.” Neil asked as he put on his flak jacket.

“Nothing but trouble.”

 

 

Tobias watch the purple bouncing ball of light with great amusement. “Cute little bugger ain’t he.”

“Why? Thinking about having kids?” Lance gave his butt a squeeze.

Tobias slapped it away. “Hands off.

“I’ve never figured out where they come from. Have you?”

“Why would I know?” Tobias asked.

“You’re the scientist,” Lance felt the need to pointed out.

“And you’ve been here longer.” Tobias countered

“What little I know dates back before we destroyed the Relic, which isn’t much.”

“But you know something which is a lot more than I do.”

“It wasn’t in my field of research but I do believe someone managed to create one using a Core.”

“Core?”

“Yeah… it’s the bioorganic device used to produce Blue. Supposedly a researcher tried crystallizing the Core’s living tissue. The result was a floating light bulb.”

“Hey I heard that?” The purple sphere darted to where they were talking. “I am not a light bulb you meany.”

“Hasn’t anyone told you it is rude to spy on people?”

“My Papa…errr the Captain ordered I watch your every move.”

“Didn’t mean to offend but can you go spy on someone else.” Lance said in a tone that made it clear the suggestion wasn’t a mere request.

“Well… since you said you’re sorry I guess it is okay.” The ball of light moved back to the head of the line.

Lance elbowed his lover. “Are you sure you really want one?”

“Gosh no.”

“Back to what we were talking about…. If Travis discovered how to make these…” Lance paused long enough to check on their guide. Ray was now well ahead of them. Sure he wouldn’t be overheard Lance continued. “These things, why didn’t he make more?”

“Nothing to gain from it. First it didn’t survive long. More importantly however the process resulted in the loss of a core. It takes eight years for a Core to mature enough to produce Blue. Out of those only 1 out of 200 survive that long. Instead of be rewarded for his research the scientist was used as cellular material in growing a replacement Core.”

“That’s brutal.” Lance shuddered.

“That’s Walker for you… no good deed won’t get you killed. And you wonder why I sided with Ave,” Tobias said.

At the mouth of the tunnel they were met barrels of ten well aimed M-16s “Stop… that’s far enough.”

Tobias grabbed Lance’s arm and pulled him back. “Let me handle this.” He knew how his lover could be when threatened

“Be quick.”

As he stepped forward Tobias held up his hands to show he wasn’t carrying a weapon. “Hello… who’s in charge?”

“I am.” A tall blond soldier lowered his gun and stepped forward.

Ray made a beeline right for him. “Papa! Did I do good? I did exactly what you told me to do.”

“You did great kid. Keep it up and I’ll have to promote you.”

“To Super Captain.”

“More like Super Corporal.”

“Yay!”

“Now head back to base. Your Captain has some business to see to.”

After Ray was gone Tobias couldn’t stop from making a jab. “Great light bulb you got there.”

Ryan didn’t take the bait. “We think so. As I see it you have three options: You can help me find a few stray friends and get them back home. If not I suggest you turn around and leave. Otherwise things are likely to get messy.”

Lance growled as did he followers

Tobias placed himself between the two groups. “Please no fighting. It is because of Ave that we’re here. We want to help you. We really do but you need to come with us.”

Ryan was caught off guard by the statement. “Where?”

“To Travis.”

“What? Hell no.” Ryan raised his gun.

“Please listen! Travis sent us to capture you yes. He’s also sent hundreds of others who do not share your desire to get Ave out of this hell hole. We got to you first because I guessed this was the most likely place you would head for. It won’t be long before the others come to the same realization. You might have bullets and explosives but they got numbers on their side. These things don’t fear death and they certainly won’t fear you. With us you will be relatively safe. With them you’re meat for the beast.”

“Why should we believe you?” Neil asked.

“Because I’m Tobias Greene and there ain’t nothing I won’t do to see Avery back where he belongs.”

Ryan arched an eyebrow. “So you are the great Dr. Greene. Somehow I thought you would be taller.”

“Good, you know who I am, but how about you tell me who you are.”

“I could tell you who I am but I’m not important enough for it to mean anything to you.”

Tobias decided to press the issue. “Still,” he said with a shrug.

“Captain Ryan Christopher Gains. You might have met my father.”

“Chris Gains?”

“I remember him.” Lance stepped forward.

“And you are?”

“Lance Reed… your father and I used to work together. That was before he turned traitor.”

“Betrayed who?

“Travis? You have heard of him?”

“Yes but I don’t see how my father betrayed him. How can you betray someone who was always his enemy?”

“Of course he worked for Travis,” Tobias insisted.

Ryan could have ignored the issue but the honor of his father was at stake. “He worked for the Harry Winters. His sole mission was to protect him from Walker. Now I work for his son and my mission is the same.

“You want to protect Harry’s son but what about mine?” Tobias asked.

“I’m sorry sir… If you really are Tobias Greene then you should know your son was attacked by the same things at the crater that seem to live here. We believe he intentionally stayed behind so Avery and his companion could make it here.”

“Is he alive?”

“He is but…”

“But cocooned.” Lance guessed

“Cocooned. We sent him to the labs for study but when we left they had made no progress. Is there anything we can do for him?”

“No… nothing. There is nothing you can do for Tom.” Tobias fainted into Lance’s arms.

Lance carefully lowered Tobias to the ground. “Thank you for telling him about his son. Just don’t expect any gratitude.”

Ryan let out a deep sigh. “Bad news is never rewarded. Since you seem to know where Avery is better than we do, I guess we have no choice but to come with you.”

Lance glared at the captain. “Congratulations you not only saved your life but those of your men. Not that it will do Tom any good.”

            __________________________________________________________________

 

Karl looked at the dried blood stains on the oak desk where Cal had shot himself in the head but failed to feel anything. Not the joy of revenge or the grief of loss. Since the surrendering to Lordon he and the originals had felt very little. They were glad to be alive of course but compared to the excitement of the last year their lives felt empty.

Cal had left everything to Karl… the estate, the money, the company. One of the last things Cal had had done as CEO was change the name to Labatt Industries. Karl and his friends were set for life, and thanks to the Symbionts their lives would prove quite long. Without Ave, without the gestalt, Karl would spend the long years always feeling empty.

He had been sitting in the Cal’s chair, wondering what to do now when a stranger entered his study. “Hello?”

“May I speak with Mr. Labatt.”

“This is he.” Karl stepped past the remaining Dozens. Since Lordon the Dozens rarely let his safety be put at risk.

The man let out a sign of relief. “Finally. You’re a hard man to get a hold of sir. I’ve been trying to reach you for weeks.” The specialist reached for Karl’s hand. Before he could shake it Alan had the scientist’s wrist twisted around his back.

“I was away on business.” Karl explained. He signaled to Alan to let him go. He then turned to leave.

“Dang he’s strong.” Dr. Anthony shook his hand. Seeing he was being left behind he rushed to keep up. “No business as important as this.”

“What is it and who the hell are you?”

“Dr. Mike Anthony… I’m the lead researcher on the Nano Project. Haven’t you been reading my memos?”

“I’ve read a few but nothing recently. I was away on…”

“Business. I know. I greatly suggest you read the ones I just sent.”

“Couldn’t you have told me what this is about on the phone?”

“Are you insane!”

“I beg your pardon.” If Dr. Anthony didn’t explain what he was referring to Karl was ready to have his men rough the scientist up for his insolence.

Mike saw the bodyguards moving in for the kill. “Forgive me sir… I tend to get like this when I get overexcited.”

“Then I suggest you take a chill pill and call me in the morning.” Karl turned towards the exit.

“But this can’t wait! Stuff’s too hot to discuss over the phone. You must come to Montana. You need to see what I discovered for yourself. I got to go now. Will meet with you as soon as you as you arrive. Night or day. Day or night… hell even during an eclipse. It’s that urgent. Be sure to read my memos before coming. Bye.”

Karl banged his head against the desk while he cursed god. Be careful what you ask for. “Trey!”

“Yes sir?”

“Dig through the database and find anything to do with Dr. Anthony and the Nano Project. Organize it in chronological order send it to my desk.”

“Something come up?”

“Maybe… I’ll tell you after I get a chance to read over thw files.”

“You’ll have it in a jiffy.”

Strange was that a skip in his step? He seemed awfully chipper. Could it be because I’m finally feeling something other than despair? The gestalt was gone but the emotional connection remained. What he felt the others did as well. He would have to try extra hard at keeping their spirits up. Maybe whatever this Dr. Anthony was jabbering about would prove to keep him occupied for a while. Anything would be better than sitting around doing nothing.

Throughout the night Karl had all twenty two of the remaining Dozens reading through Anthony’s notes, bringing points of interest to Karl’s attention. It seemed the good doctor had made some startling discoveries in regards to the cocoon encasing Tom. He had yet to find the means of freeing Tom but what he did have could prove to be the perfect tool in the Dozens getting revenge again Lordon. “Fuel the plane… we’re all heading for Montana.”

“All of us sir?” Calvin asked

“You saying you don’t want be a part of this?”

“I most certainly do but shouldn’t some of us be busy trying to find the Dozens who managed to escape?”

“Yes but what’s waiting for us in Montana is key to doing exactly that. So pack your boots and cowboy hats guys. It’s going to be a long trip.

“Is it Karl?” Though he had not heard that voice in over a year he knew who it belonged to. Standing in the doorway was Logan Gains.

“Where… where the hell have you been?” Karl’s stoic mask fell apart. “Logan… Ave… I lost him.”

“I know. Blame me if you want. I should have come to you sooner.” Logan gave Karl a bear hug and patted him on the back.

“But you’re here now. With your help I’m sure we can get Ave back.”

“I don’t know about that but you could do worse than have my help.”

“What took you Logan?” Karl demanded.

“Had to see to a few things.”

“What could be more important than seeing to your godson?”

“Seeing to it that we get him back. I noticed you’ve been snooping in old Walker’s mainframe.”

“He’s tied into Ave disappearance isn’t he?”

“He is but you really need to be more careful. You can be certain I’m not the only one who noticed your activities.”

“I’ll try to be more careful. Sneaking around just is not my style.”

“I know… you like charging in with all guns blazing. You know how that turned out the last time.” Logan gave Karl a disapproving glare.

Karl knew there was no point hiding the truth from a man like Logan. “We got our butts kicked.”

“More than that you needlessly got many of your people killed. But I’m not here to berate you.”

“Why are you here?”

“To give you something to help you defeat Lordon.” Logan handed him a silver of paper.

“What is this… Degrees of latitude… and longitude? Ah. Are these some sort of coordinates?”

“Very special ones. They’re the location of Walker’s main research facility.”

“The one the government is after.”

“They and Lordon. I think what you’ll find there useful in your dealings with the military. If you play your cards right you could end the alliance between them. Cut off their access to NSA resources and you’ll leave him almost completely blind to your activities.”

“What will I find there?”

“You’ll see. The stuff is out of this world and I mean that literally.”

 

 

 

 

Chapter Twenty-Three: Truth

 

 

 

 

Talon entered Avery study with a sad look about him. “Ave do you know where Puggles is?”

Avery had spent the last few cycles reading the diary Everett had loaned him. “Haven’t seen him lately”

“It’s been three cycles and no one has. I’m worried. Do you think Movi got him?”

“I think Movi is the very last one who would know where Pugs gone to.”

“Still I’m going to ask.”

“Better have Everett do it. Movi is still sore about what happened between you and his master.”

“You’re right as always. Thank you Ave.”

“Kids…” Avery said as he shook his head after Talon left.

He didn’t’ get much peace before Movi showed up. “Why did you tell him to ask me where the light bulb’s gone to?”

“I didn’t. I actually told him you wouldn’t know but he insisted.”

“But you know where he is.”

“No I don’t.”

“Yes you do.”

“”I don’t!”

“Idiot! He’s been hiding in you for cycles. Didn’t you know that?”

“I think if he was hiding inside me I would know.” Avery truly didn’t feel the Watcher in him.

“Let me take a peek.” The red orb moved within striking range.

“Hell no. Having Pugs use me as his favorite hiding spot is one thing. I most certainly don’t want you in me.”

“Then you admit it. Pugs is hiding in you.”

“He’s not here you psychotic light bulb!”

“What’s all this shouting about?” Everett stormed in looking less than pleased.

“Tell your friend to go find someone else to invade.”

“Movi… what did I tell you about bothering Ave.”

“But he’s lying about Pugs.”

“Lying about what?”

That the coward is hiding in him.” Movi said as the res sphere flashed with anger.

“So…” Everett asked.

“So get him to kick the Pugs out.”

“Ave is Pugs hiding in you.”

“No!”

“He’s lying!”

Everett looked at Ave then at Movi and could only laugh. “So what if he is? We all know Pugs has good reason to hide from you. So unless Ave doesn’t want him there the light bulb can stay where he is.”

“This isn’t the last of this.” Movi’s red glow was the most intense than Avery had ever seen it.

When Movi left Avery let out a sigh of relief. “What the hell is wrong with him?”

“It’s complicated.”

“Please explain.”

Everett gave Ave a sly wink. “Join me on the bed and I’ll tell you a story.”

“Sounds like fun.”

Everett waited until Avery was comfortable before beginning. “You see when two men fall in love, like us, they, well, join together as one.”

“Ah… is this a sex novel.”

“Exactly.” Everett rolled on top of Ave and nuzzled his neck. “The same is true for the Watchers.” If I had gone through with marrying Talon then Puggles who have become Movi’s mate.”

“Watchers mate?”

“Sort of. The first time Talon and I made love Movi was to be in me and Pugs with Talon. When we reached our climax their essence would become implanted in us. They would become a part of us and us them. Movi, well, he’s wanted to become a part of my body since the beginning. Puggles however is terrified of losing his independence. See?”

“I think I do.” Avery felt Everett feel his way down his body to the nether regions. It didn’t take long before their clothes were a discarded heap on the floor.

Avery was near hitting his peak when Everett shouted; “Leave Movi.” Movi, who’d been hiding under the bed shot into Everett just as the Segundo made one last hard thrust.

Screaming like a banshee Pugs shot from Aves like a Champaign cork.

Avery threw Everett off him but as he raced after Pugs Everett dove at him knocking him to the floor.

“Get off me you bastard. You trick me.”

“Tricked you? You’re the one who lied to me about Pugs.”

“I told you I didn’t know he was in me.”

“Liar.”

Avery kicked Everett off him. “Fine… you think I’m lying then I’m leaving.

“Wait a minute. I didn’t mean for you to…” Everett reached for Avery to stop him from leaving but one look at the expression on Avery’s face caused Everett to freeze where he stood.

“What? Get pissed off?” Avery hurriedly started dressing. He had to catch up with Pugs and explain. “What you tried to do to Puggles was nothing short of rape.”

“Fine, make me the bad guy.’’

“You are the bad guy. This whole place is rotten.”

Everett moved to block the door. He didn’t want Avery leaving while being this angry with him. “Where you going?”

“Get out of my way.”

“Not until you apologize for lying.” Everett insisted.

“I didn’t lie.”

“Liar!”

“Why you.” Avery kneed Everett hard in the groin.

“Why you…” Everett’s agony left him unable to stop him.

After he recovered he shouted; “Movi!”

“Uhmmm yes master?” Slowly the red Watcher floated into view.

“The next time you think about outsmarting Ave remind me stuff you in a vacuum tube.”

“You’re threatening to turn me into a light bulb? But Master… Avery was lying!”

“Maybe, maybe not. It doesn’t matter. I can’t have him upset with me. Not now. Not with what’s to come.”

“Yes Master. I apologize. I’ll go away.” Movi’s glow dimmed.

“While you’re out can you tell one of the servants to bring me an icepack. This really hurts.” Everett, still shielding his groin slumped against a wall and groaned. “Ave… If I didn’t love you with all my heart you really won’t be worth the heartache.”

 

_________________________________________________________________

It was not all that hard for Avery to track Puggles down, not with all the chaos and destruction he left in his path. Wall’s were blacked by energy bolts, several people lay unconscious. He even passed two wreck Cybernoid patrollers.

He eventually found Pugs in the park district hiding inside the metal leave of a faux tree. “I’m sorry Pugs.”

“Leave me alone.”

“I wanted to make sure you were alright but I’ll leave you alone.”

Avery turned to leave only for Pugs to shout; “Don’t go!”

“You told me to leave?”

“I know but I didn’t think you would actually listen. Nobody does what Puggles says… poor Puggles.”

“Yes, poor Pugs. I’m sorry what happened. If I knew you were hiding in me I would have seen through Everett’s ruse. He tricked us both.”

“Yeah… but I won’t go back. Not never. No how.”

“What about Talon. You have him worried sick.”

Puggles released a storm of sparks. “He’s not real! None of them are,” He wailed.

Avery used his arms to shield himself. “What are you talking about?”

The Watcher started hiccupping. “Oh Puggles, puggles, puggles.”

“Stop it Pugs… what do you mean they’re not real?”

Instead of answering Pugs dove back into Avery. “Let’s run away Ave… just you and me. You’re the only one I trust.”

Hoping to get answers Avery decided to play along. “Alright. Where would you like us to go?”

“Anywhere… just promise me you won’t take me back to the others. Puggles, puggles, puggles…” He started hiccupping again.

Avery, still mad and Everett was not ready to go back either. “I know where we can go. They would go see Clive and the cousins. “It’ll be alright Pugs. I promise.”

“Puggles… puggles… puggles…”

Much to Avery’s surprise they had no trouble getting past security. He had been sure that Pugs path of destruction would have gotten them both confined. Giving where they were heading Militia might not have seen the need.

Having not visited since falling asleep in the tubes Avery didn’t know quite what to expect. When Clive saw who had just entered his cell he went slack jawed. “Ave what are you doing here?”

“Didn’t miss me I take it?”

“No. Not at all. We…”

A groan came from Sven’s cell. “Told you it wouldn’t work.”

“What not work?” Avery asked.

“Uncle Avery’s back. Yay!” At least Jack was glad to have him back.

Clive glared into the vents. “Both of you be quite.” He turned his attention back to Avery. “Serious Ave… I didn’t expect to see you again.”

“Why not? You think I would forget about you guys.”

“I told you.” Sven was being quite smug. The problem was Avery didn’t have a clue as to why.

“Shut up Sven. Something’s happened… something bad. That’s the only reason you would come.”

“Why… when have I ever come bearing bad news?”

A bolt of energy shot from Avery’s chest at Clive . “You did it!” Puggles emerged from hiding and charged at the Angel. “You’re the one who made him forget.”

“What the hell are you doing Pugs?” Avery tried to grab Pugs but the Watcher was slipper than a slimy eel.

Clive was not so helpless. Using his wings like a baseball bat he wacked the ball of light across the room. Pugs went dim.

Avery scoop the faint spark up and held it close. Why did you do that for?”

“What was I supposed to do? He tried to attack me.”

“God damn it can’t you see he’s scared?”

“Puggles…. Puggles…” Pugs moaned as his blue glow flickered in and out.

“It’s alright… I won’t let him hurt you,” Avery promised.

“Ave-y save Puggles?” Pugs asked.

“Yeah…I guess.”

“Puggles love Ave-y.” The tiny spark let himself be reabsorbed into Avery’s body.

Clive looked across the room at Ave. Both were confused by each other’s behavior. “Why are you here?” Clive demanded.

“Because I need your help,” Avery replied.

“With that Core?”

“Core?”

“I see… I’ve assumed too much about what you know. I apologize.” Clive felt his anger fade into sympathy. Had he forgotten what he his life was like before the Maze? Using the full length of his wings he drew Avery from the other side of the cell to him. He ran the tips of his pale slender fingers down each cheek. He slipped one into his mouth to taste Avery’s innocence. How could I forget?

Avery leaned against angel’s bare chest. In his arms he felt safe. With him he felt loved. “Why were you hoping I wouldn’t come back?”

“For your sake I did.”

“Why?”

Clive wrapped his muscular arms around Ave’s waist. The touch sent a shudder down their spines. “What is the saying? What you don’t know…”

“Can’t hurt you,” Avery finished. He never liked that saying.

“But I’ve hurt you, haven’t I.” I never meant for it to come to this. I hoped…no. I’m a fool.”

“No. I’m the fool. By now I should have gotten us away from here. Damn Lanyon… he should have come back by now.”

Clive tightened his hold. “Oh Ave.”

“Tell him Uncle. He has to know the truth.” Sven whispered through the vent.

“I will.” He raised Avery chin till their eyes met. He put Avery into a trance. He then removed the walls that had been blocking out the memories Clive had hoped Avery would forget. Watching the horror that formed on Avery was the cruelest punishment of all. “Forgive me.”

“No!” Avery pulled back only to find himself encaged by white wings. “No! It can’t be true!” He collapsed into Clive and clung to him. “It can’t be true. It can’t. I would have known.”

“It is true. The Personas have had centuries to prefect the Bionoids. We four are the only true people in the Tosian Ark. The others are either androids or clones.”

 

“It can’t be true. It can’t.” The despair filling Avery was as potent as when he lost his father.

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Closely observing what was happening in Clive’s cell, the Persona’s debated what to do next. “What do we do now Persona Prime?” Red Persona Militia sounded was filled with glee with the Scions suffer.

“Will we be returning the Winters to the Segundo?” Out of the 13 personas only Humana seemed concerned for Winters’ well being.

“No. The ruse served its purpose. The data we’ve collected will be programed into the next batch of clones. Soon we will be able to send our Bionoids to Earth. Come the invasion they will our fifth column. From this point on the Winters is to be treated no different than the Scions.”

The Prime’s plan did not please Militia. “I do not understand why we do not strip him of his flesh. We are always in need of fresh material for the gene banks. Think of what we could learn.”

The idea horrified Humana. “No. We can still make use of him!”

The Prime signaled for silence. “In this case Humana is right… for now. There is a chance his father might try to rescue his son. There is also the Walker to consider.”

The head of Ark Intelligence Persona 7, Illusia chose that moment to give her report. “Our spies report that the Demon has captured a group of soldiers from Earth. It is certain the two groups will mount a joint attempt to free the Winters.”

Humana turned to face Persona 2. “Does the opportunity to add Demon’s flesh to the gene banks sate your hunger for the Winters, Militia?”

“For now,” the head of the Ark’s security replied.

“There is also the benefit of the data we can gain from his interaction with the Scions. The way they react to him has been quite interesting.” Persona Medica pointed out.

“He could also be used to gain their cooperation,” Illusia added. “Not to mention the Segundo’s.”

Medica’s position was similar to Humana’s. “The Segundo is not ready for the next phase. There is still a chance he could lead a revolt. Tell me Militia how do you think the Cybernoids would fair against the forces of Walker and the Segundo if they were to attack at the same time.”

The Prime agreed. “One threat at a time Militia. It is possible that we will need to keep this Winters alive indefinitely.”

“With the Scions extended lifespans that will prove quite long.” It was rare for Humana to win the support of the majority, especially when standing in opposition to the desires of Persona 2. It was a small but significant victory, one she hoped would lead to the final victory over Prime Diana.

 

 

 

 

Chapter Twenty-Four: Experimentation

 

 

Karl, though impressed by Anthony’s discovers, had one last question to ask. “Is there any chance of Tom recovering?”

“If we let nature take its course he will remain alive just not as a…”

“As a man?”

“Homo Sapien. The venom we extracted from the Maze grubs is the most powerful mutagen I’ve come across that doesn’t kill its victim.”

“How does it work?”

“Most viruses follow the same pattern. It injects its genetic material into a host cell. From there it inserts itself in the nucleic DNA where it hijacks it to produce millions of viral copies which then go infect cells of their own. This virus however acts differently. It does produce copies but more significantly it breaks apart and restructures the DNA chromosomes into genetic structures I’ve never seen in any form of life… on Earth that is.”

“Are you saying he is turning into an alien?”

“That’s an over simplistic way of seeing it. The DNA itself doesn’t change. You see most DNA in you cells code for nothing. We often refer to this DNA as junk DNA. What’s happening in your friend is that some sections of junk DNA, called transposons, are able to jump from one part of a chromosome to another. Mostly nothing happens during these jumps. With your friend however the junk DNA is reorganizing itself into sequences that are not junk or human and it is that which is changing your friend into…”

“Into what?”

“I don’t know but it’s intentional. The mutations are not random but aimed towards reaching a specific goal. It is all quite fascinating when you think about it. Think of it as an assembly line… you start off with certain resources say iron, plastic, rubber, oil when combined end up with something far more interesting like a Ferrari.”

“Forgive me if I don’t share your enthusiasm. That’s my friend you’re talking about.”

“Sorry sir… When presented with a new discovery I sometimes let myself get overexcited.”

“Then I suggest you take a couple chill pills and tell me what you plan to do to help my ‘dear’ friend.” Karl used enough of a threatening tone to shake Mike back to reality.

“Well… we only have two options. We’d get a lot of cellular material if we kill him now.”

“No. I’ll put you out of my misery before I let you use him in your experiments.”

“Alright… Option #2: we keep him alive and see what he turns into.”

“No option #3?”

“We could hand him over to your friends at Lordon. They should be able to make more use of him than you.”

“It’s #2 then.

“Now that’s settled, what do you think about that anti-Symbiont weapon I can up with? Neat huh?”

“It didn’t work.” Karl could still feel the burns the device had left.

“It weakened it. Didn’t it?”

“It didn’t fix what Lordon did to us.”

“I can cure the disease but not the damage. For that I’ll need to come up with some sort of anti-Symbiont-Symbiont. Like that friend of yours… Mr. Winters. From what information I’ve been able to get from your people it was his immunity to the Symbionts that gave you your… “

“Let’s just say unique abilities and leave it at that,” Karl snapped.

“Of course. If I can get my hands on him I’m sure I could come up with a cure.”

“I won’t let you use him as a guinea pig. Anyhow… Without the Eye he’s beyond our reach.”

“Then you have no choice but to take the Eye or give up.”

“We’ll take it. How soon until you have the stun-gas weaponized.”

“I would need to know the size of the target area,” Mike replied.

“Big Rock Island.”

“Can’t be done. With an area that large and the winds from Bering Sea you might as well use Anthrax. Hell, why not drop a nuke while you’re at it.” Dr. Anthony’s slip of the tongue cost him a busted lip.

“Find a way.” Karl turned to leave.

“The gas concentrations needed…. You’re asking the impossible.” Dr. Anthony shouted.

“Find a way or else.” Karl didn’t need to be specific. Dr. Anthony’s lab was filled with the sort of punishments that would make a death the most prized reward. He left the doctor to stew in his own fear.

Alan was waiting for Karl when he returned. “Well sire?”

“I need a long shower. I feel like I’ve been dipped in pus just being near that slime.

“You and I both.”

“Is that an offer?”

“A promise.” He gave Karl a peck on the cheek.

“Tempting but it will have to wait. I have other business that needs seeing to.” He gave the member of the Double Dozen a parting kiss.

Leaving the complex’s sublevels for a top floor conference room it was like night and day. From concrete floor, clear polymer walls a scientist in white coats to wood paneling, chandeliers, thick Asian carpets and men in three piece suits. He, of course was dressed in nothing but blue jeans and a red t-shirt. The people he was meeting were in full uniform. “General, Admiral, Director… I hope you’ve not been waiting too long.”

“Of course not Mr. Labatt.” Lieutenant General Ames, head of the US military’s space program was the only one to rise. He was also the least important person present.

The NSA Director was less than pleased. “Can we hurry on with the business at hand?”

“Yes Director Reeves. Let’s get to it.” The conference room lights dimmed allowing a three dimensional hologram become visible in the center of the table. It was a map of Mars. With a push of a button the map zoomed in on the tallest mountain on Mars Olympus Mons. “As you know your main colony is on Olympus while those controlled by the joint Russian and Chinese venture are near Planum Boreum at the North Pole. From that location they control the largest source of ice water on the planet. Why you let that happen is beyond me.”

“We didn’t let it happen. If our budget wasn’t cut we would have established a colony there as well.” The head of Space Command replied sourly. “We might not control the water supply but in the long term the rare earth minerals and rare metals at Olympus Mons will prove more valueable.”

“For the tech industry and all its military uses, yes. There’s more than five times the amounts of rare earth at the Mons site than all of China. I don’t need to remind you what happened when China banned all mineral exports.”

“No need to bring that up.” Chairman of the Chief of Staff Admiral Yates grunted. China had economically blackmailed the US into not intervening while it fought a war to capture Taiwan. Though no American lives were lost, it was the US’s greatest humiliation in history. No longer could the US claim to be the sole superpower. Many didn’t feel it was even that. “We can easily defeat the Sino-Russians on Mars. It is the war on Earth that worries us.”

“I have a solution for both. That is why you are here after all.” Only Karl was impressed by his smugness. The hologram change. It now showed a four pointed diamond, wide in the center and narrow at its tips. “I present to you the Terra Mark I. The five units we’ve under construction can produce 5 million cubic meters of liquid oxygen, 300 million barrels of water, and 1.2 million tons of carbon compounds every three months. All powered by a Labatt Industries fusion reactor.”

“If those specs are correct the Terra’s are exactly what we need. That of course depends if what you are telling us is true.”

“You said they’re fusion powered. What does it need for fuel?”

“Hydrogen.”

“To keep that level of production it’s going to need a shit load. Where are we to get it?”

“With this.” Karl changed the image a third time. It now showed what looked like an aircraft carrier only much larger. “We call this the Grav-I. It’s not under construction but everything needed to build it is already in place.”

“What the hell is it?”

“Think of it as a super tanker five miles in length. Taken to Jupiter it will mine the planet’s gases. Once a tank is full it will be launched from the tanker to Mars for recovery.”

“How many tanks,”

“And how much can they hold?”

“Each can hold 2 million cubic meters of liquid hydrogen. Just one million tons will fuel 5 Mark I’s for half a Mars year.”

The Director turned to the general. “How long is that?”

“He’s being a smartass. A Mars year is twice as long as on Earth so one year here.”

“How many tanks can that thing carry?” the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs asked.

“24.” Karl replied.

The head of NSA shook his head in disbelief. “I’m confused. Why do you call it the Grav-I? Wouldn’t space tanker describe its purpose better?”

“You are correct. We will be using the vessel as a tanker. That is why we will be building it. But how it does it is more descriptive of its nature. Grav-I comes from the ship possessing the first dark matter gravity generator. With its own gravity source the Grav-I will be able to enter deep enough into Jupiter’s atmosphere to harvest the gas as well as shield it from the planet’s storms. It will also provide the ships propulsion. With its ability to produce artificial gravity the crew will be able to stay in deep space far longer than in similar craft. It will also be able to travel far faster through space as it can nullify the force of inertia.”

“What you are offering is impossible. There is no way you have such technology. We would have known it if you had.” The head of Space Command spat.

“Tell me Director… is the name Travis Walker familiar to you?” Karl ask the NSA official.

“I’ve heard of it. That’s all I’m going to say,” the head of NSA replied.

“By the confused expression on their faces your colleagues certainly don’t so I’ll fill them in. Twenty years ago Walker was the greatest weapons trader, inventor, and terrorist of the 21st century. That did not mean NSA didn’t see him as a useful tool.”

“The actions of my predecessors have nothing to do with the present administration.”

“Of course not. Hard for NSA to make use of something who is believed to be dead?”

“Is there something you need to be telling us Director.” General Yates was red face.

“No… it is as he said. Nothing to tell about someone who’s been dead for twenty years.”

“If he is dead?” General Ames was just as mad at the Director as Yates.
“Don’t tell me that bastard is still alive,” the NSA chief asked.

“I have no proof that he is,” Karl replied. “What I do have in my possession is his former base and manufacturing facilities.”

Yate had enough of the cocky young man. “Fuck… Now listen here kid. You are going to tell us its exact location and hand over whatever you’ve found to us.”

“You mean the U.S. military? I don’t think so. NSA has a good idea as to why the government played along with Walker. We demand the same terms for Labatt Industries.”

“It seem we have no choice but to,” the NSA official replied.

“But Director he’s just a kid!” Yates was not about to let Karl show him disrespect.

“A kid with his finger on the button! I can’t get into the details with you but something like a gravity generator is exactly the sort of thing Walker would come up with. The man was a sociopath but a genius. He pretty much invented the suitcase nuclear bomb.”

“Found a whole closet full of them.” Karl had read enough files from the Antarctica database to know how deep in bed the US and been with Walker. He also knew how NSA aided Lordon in building it into a rival organization. He would destroy both if NSA interfered with his plans for Lordon. “Do we have a deal?”

“It seems we do. All you’ve left out is your price.”

“I want Mars.”

“Your own colony?”

“The entire planet. Don’t get me wrong. Symbolically your colony will remain yours and continue to be overseen by the UN but in reality it will become a subsidiary of Labatt Industries.”

“If we keep control of our colonies I fail to see what you gain from it.”

“You’ll see.”

 

 

 

 

Chapter Twenty-Five: Seeking Help

 

Three cycles since Avery learned the secret of the Ark, five foot Jack went to the vent, raised himself on his toes, and slipped Puppy past the grate. The wolf looked back at its boy. “Right now Uncle Avery needs you more than I do.” The pup let out a sad whimper. “Come on. Don’t be like that. I want you to make him happy again. You can’t do that if you’re sad too.”

Puppy sneezed, nodded, turned around and made its way to the next cell. There it found Avery curled into a ball murmuring in his sleep. How was it to make Avery happy? Pouncing always made it happy. Having its tummy tickled made it happy. Biting the fake people made it happy. But would any of that make Avery happy? ”

Hopping down Puppy slipped past Uncle Clive without being seen. The wolf had always been good at sneaking about without being noticed. Pouncing was always more fun when the person didn’t see it coming. Since it was sure pouncing Avery would not be fun for either of them, a snuggle would have to do. All it took was crawling into the spot between Avery’s curled waist and chest to find the perfect warm spot. Puppy then made itself comfortable to wait to be noticed.

Avery felt the wolf before he saw it. His first thought was not of the wolf but his own dog Peppy. Blindly he scratched Puppy’s ribs. In turn the wolf rolled on its side, giving Avery access to its belly.

Ever so slowly Avery’s lips formed a weak smile. “You at least are real.”

“So are they… if in their own fashion.” After days of silence from Avery, Clive was quick to respond.

“They’re machines,” Avery insisted.

“Are they… they don’t think so. They believe they are as real as you and I. That they have fathers like you and I. If they believe they are and if you did once does it really matter how they were created.”

“They’re nothing but a lie. This whole place is a lie.”

“A lie they believe. If you have the chance would you be so cruel as to destroy that lie for them.”

“I would.”

“You wouldn’t… not to hurt them at least. Listen… Our only hope of returning home lies with the Segundo. Other than the Personas he is the only one who can command the Bionoids. He could have them free us but won’t if he believes you want nothing to do with him.”

“Why would he? The Personas can easily build him a replacement. They probably erased his memory of me already.”

“It doesn’t work like that. The Selection it not a mere ceremony for Bionoids. Between Bionoids it is the synching of their biology. Originally Talon was to be synched to the Segundo. Your arrival changed those plans.”

“Why? Why did they let Everett do this synching thing with me?”

“Because for their plans you were the better match. The whole purpose of the Ark project is to create a population of androids capable of passing themselves off as human. What better experiment could they have than seeing how their most prized Bionoid fairs with a true human?”

“Then their experiment was a smashing success.”

“Maybe it was too successful. Maybe they made Everett so human that no Bionoid copy of you will fool him. Do not doubt he does love you.”

“A machine can’t love.”

“It can if it’s programmed to. Take Puppy for instance. By now you know he is no normal pup. Does not being normal make you doubt its love for Jack?”

Avery thought about Jack, Puppy, and most importantly Peppy. He had always known the dog was no way normal yet the two would risk their lives for the other. Everett was no dog or wolf. Though he had not felt so strongly he could not deny the Segundo loved him just as much. “Will he come?”

Puppy sneezed.

“He will.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Talon had thought Everett had been upset when he had fled the Selection. He knew better now. Splattered along the length of the palace’s grand hall were the blood, bones, and flesh of a vivisected Bionoid copy of Avery Winters. Or so Everett believed.

“But you don’t know. You might have killed the real Avery.”

“I know a Bionoid when I see one.” The hateful glare he sent Talon’s way sent the young man fleeing. “Movi!” Everett shouted.

“Uhmmm, yes Master?” The red ball of light lowered itself from the high ceiling. Even the Watcher had never seen Everett this mad.

“Have you found them yet?”

“No. It appears to be as you suspected. If he’s still lives….”

“He’s alive! I know he’s alive.”

“As his Selected you know better than I. As I was saying, if he has not fled to the Maze then he is being held in restricted zones.”

“He would never leave me for the Maze. Not after Talon. The Personas have him. I know it.”

“Be as that may he’s beyond your reach.”

“But not yours.”

“Master?”

“You can hitch a ride on a research Bionoid, can’t you?”

“But why would I?”

“You want Puggles as much as I want Avery.”

“Are you that sure that Pugs is with him?”

Everett wasn’t sure but he thought he saw Movi’s glow brighten with hope. “Aren’t you?”

“Touché.”

“Find him Movi.”

“I will. While I’m gone try not to kill anyone else, okay?”

“The sooner you find him the less blood you will find on your return. Anyhow, there are other matters that need seeing to.” Once the Watcher was gone he turned his attention on Talon. “I need you to go to the Maze.”

“Me… in the Maze?”

“You ventured into it once you can do so again.”

“But I had Pugs with me.”

“You will not go alone. My people found a creature prowling near the Ark. Luckily they did not kill it.”

“What is it?”

“Some sort of Bionoid.”

“What do you mean… some sort?”

“Not human. It’s a dog.”

“D-O-G?”

“Yes a dog… sort of like that wolf pup that Scion brat keeps.”

“I see. I don’t see how a DOG will do me any good.”

“This dog is a lot larger and far more dangerous. When we found it the dog had just killed an entire pack of Spiderwolves. I wouldn’t be surprised if it could take down a Demon.”

“Then how do you know it won’t kill me?”

“It didn’t kill any of our men. Come in Peppy.”

“Peppy?” Before he could see it, Talon was tackled by the dog and blinded by the slobbering tongue. “Get off me you crazy thing.” The golden retriever lay on top of him, his massive weight pinning him to the ground. “Where did you get this thing?”

“In the Maze. I believe it is Avery’s missing companion. Cute isn’t he?”

“Cute? He weighs a ton.”

Everett waved the dog to him. “Come here. Good dog. Now go take Talon and find help.” The dog barked in compliance. Nipping on his heels Peppy shepherd Talon towards the Maze.

“Find help and be quick about it. We must act fast.”

 

 

 

 

Chapter Twenty-Six: The Demon

           

 

Ryan glared at the demon with the same hate the Walker aimed at him. “Are you going to feed us to your pets or bore us to death.”

“Do not try my patience human. I have broken men far braver than you.” Travis Walker stepped from his throne. Making his way to where his servants held Ryan and his men. With a clawed talon he cut into one of Ryan’s soldiers flesh until it was coated with blood. He licked the talon clean. The taste of pure human blood sent a shiver down his spine.

As the demon fed Ryan saw the creature begin to change. His blacken skin faded to a soft grey, his hair went from white sliver to a coal black. The curved horns that crowned its head melted back into the demon’s skull. Even his massive bulk melded into a more human charismatic form.

“There… much better. Nothing like the taste of fresh human blood. Don’t you agree Captain Gains.”

“Nothing like being human.” Ryan didn’t understand what he had just witnessed but even in human form the Walker was an insurmountable foe.”

“Of course your human blood is not strong enough to cure me of the plague but it will do for now.”

“Plague?”

“The Nanos… surely you’ve heard of them? No? “Travis got no response. “ I see… whoever sent you on this suicide mission of yours is either that clueless or cruel. Let me enlighten you.” He pointed to one of the prisoners. “We’ll start with that one.”

A nearby Spiderwolf charged at the one Travis had pointed at. It’s claws, quills, fangs tore into its victim with vicious efficacy. Before Ryan could free himself it was over. On the ground were the shredded remains of Private Meads.

To Ryan’s horror the man was not dead. Gurgling bubbles popped from the puddles of blood. “Damn it. Don’t leave him like that.”

“What do you think I am… Some sort of monster?” Walkers grin was far more monstrous than his demonic form.

It did not take long for the Nanos to take effect. Like a half broken puppet what was left of the solider rose to its feet. Black sap oozed from its wounds, spreading until it coated him entirely. The sap hardened and then cracked into perfectly shaped insectoid like plates. What had been human a moment before was now a Maze Mantis Warrior.

“Who’s next?”

“Damn you, you bastard!” Ryan shouted as he struggled to free himself from the Mantis which had a hold of him. “If you’re going to take anyone take me and spare my men.”

“I would like nothing more son of Gains but you will be the only one of your men who will not receive the blessings of Omega.”

“Damn it what do you want!”

“What I want? What I want is the Winters. If adding your men to my ranks of Nano spawn helps me achieve that I will destroy all that made me human.”

Lance knew that after years in the Maze Travis had lost his mind but not to this extent. “Travis stop. You’re not thinking clearly.”

“No old friend. The truth has never been as clear to me as it is now. Bring him in.” Two Mantis warriors approached the throne. Tobias Greene was their prisoner.

“Toby! Damn you Travis. If you harm him I’ll?” Lance drew a Spiderwolf quill poisoned blade.

“My oh my it’s been a while since someone I placed my trust in has betrayed me.” Travis let out a sadistic laugh. “I guess I was overdue. Tell me Lance… how do you plan to sate my displeasure?”

 

“Whatever you want. Just don’t harm him.”

“Want? What I wanted was your loyalty. Once lost it cannot be regained. There is one thing you may do for me however…”

“Anything.”

“Tell Harry that if he does not return I will give his son to the Nanos.”

“You can’t be serious!”

“Never more so.” “But how can I? I don’t have a clue to where he is.”

“Don’t worry. We have the perfect bait to catch the traitors to our hook.”

Lance and Tobias turned a sad gaze towards Ryan Christopher Gains. Both knew his father would not come for him. Travis’s grand plan would result in the young man’s death or worse, to be served as meat for the beast.”

 

            **********************************************************************

 

Having been sent into the Maze on his own Ray had promise his papa he would be brave. After a week of wandering the Maze his perky glow had become quite dim. What now Ray Ray… Papa said to find help but all I’ve found are icky, nasty, meanies. What if they are all meanies? Ray Ray wouldn’t know what to do. Ray Ray may never see papa again. That makes Ray Ray sad. “What’s that?” He heard the all too human sound of muffled sobs. “Who’s that?” Brightening, his glow lit the chamber. The purple light was more than mere fluorescence. The light was a living expanded part of Ray. Where it touch felt as real to him as if he held it with human hands.

It didn’t take Ray long to find the crying youth. “Ello… Ellooooo? Are you a meanie?” The youth’s clothes were stained black with grim and possibly blood. Laying at his feet was a four legged creature with gold brown fur and long fluffy tail, its head resting in the youth’s laps.

The dog noticed Ray before the young man did. Its ears perked up and eyes brightened. Rising to sit its hind legs it licked the boy’s face and barked. “What Peppy… do we have to leave already?”

“Leave Ray Ray but I just found ya?”

“Wha…” he jumped to his feet so fast that Ray darted away like a comet in fright.

“Don’t hurt Ray…. Ray not a meanie”

“You… you a Watcher?”

“No Ray is Ray.”

“No you’re a Watcher. You’re the first purple one I’ve ever seen thought.”

“That’s because Ray is Ray not a Watcher.”

“You’re funny.”

“Ray not a meanie. Ray is Super Friend. Who are you?”

“Me… I’m no one.”

“Okay No One. Nice to meet you. I’m Ray.”

“My name is Talon, not no one.”

“Ello Talon. Nice to meet-ya.”

“Nice to meet you too. I was scared I would never meet anyone, let alone a Watcher.”

“Ray is not a Watcher meanie!”

“Hey, I’m not mean! Come on, don’t be like that. You remind me of my Pugs. I miss him so much.”

Ray’s light dimmed. “I miss my papa too. But Ray is Super Solider and Super Brave. He’ll save Uncle Avie.”

“You mean Avery?”

“Yes Uncle Avie. Papa made Ray promise to save Avie and bring him homey.”

“I promised to save him too.”

“Yay… we can save him together. Just remember I’m the one in charge.”

“Why are you in charge?”

“Because I’m Super Corporal.”

“So?”

“You’re just a Private.”

“Hey. Why am I just a Private?”

“Because you’re a newbie. Until Papa… I mean the Captain promotes you, you’re just a private.”

“Where’s the captain.”

“We don’t know. Ray Ray on super-secret mission. Haven’t seen captain papa in super-duper longtime. That makes us sad.”

“I haven’t seen Puggles since forever… I’m scared I never will.”

“Hey, don’t be sad. We find Uncle Avie and Puggles Puggles together.”

“What do you think Peppy? Do we take him with us?” In response the dog started prancing down the way they had come.

“Ready Privy Talon… forward MARCH!” The purple sphere darted after the dog. Terrified of being left behind Talon raced to catch up.

             

 

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Flesh Bank

 

 

For the first time in Movi’s existence he knew what it felt like to live in fear. Merging with a Bionoid had not proved hard. Keeping one alive long enough to reach his destination was something else. Bionoids… true Bionoids did not have Watchers and lacked the endurance to keep one inside them for long. How Avery managed to keep Pugs hidden for so long baffled Movi.

After burning out his fifth Bionoid Movi he noticed a sharp increase in the size and frequency of security patrols. Clearly his presence had not gone unnoticed. Abandoning the subterfuge he entered the labyrinth of vents and service passageways.

Just as he had no idea where a highjack Bionoid would take him he had no clue as to where he was going. He could only hope that he would come out where he could make a point of reference. That did not happen until eighth cycle of his search when he found himself in the middle of the Ark’s worst nightmare… the Flesh Bank.

The walls floors and ceiling of the cavernous chamber were made of the grafted living flesh of the Tosian Arks original occupants; fifty thousand souls in all. While over a million managed to escape the doomed world millions more were left behind to stand witness to the Shattering.

Included among the survivors were two advanced civilizations. One called the Atlantians built the Arks to shelter the true children of mankind. The other civilization, the Personas were as advance in bioresearch as the Atlantians were in electronics. In the end the androids soldiers of the Altantians were defeated by the self-replicating living monstrosities of the Personas. The Personas however had overestimated their ability to control their creations. As had happened in the past, the creatures of the Maze revolted against their masters turning feral and vicious. Ironically the Personas found themselves imprisoned in the Arks they had fought so hard to capture.

With the surviving Ark dwellers the only resource left to them the Personas committed all their efforts in ensuring its preservation. The result was the Flesh Bank. One by one the human survivors were vivisected to be stitched together into a single super-organism. The most terrifying part was that while they were of one body, each maintained their individual identity. Movi knew he could not imagine a fraction of the horrors they continued to endure. For a being capable of merging with other life-forms the risk of being sucked in and sharing the experience left him frozen where he floated.

At least he now knew where he was. All he had to do was cross five hundred yards to the main cooling vent. From there he could make his way to any point in the Ark. The problem was building up the courage to cross.

“Oh Movi… what have we gotten ourselves into now? Should we turn back? No, Master would never forgive us if we give up now. Oh Movi, Movi, Movi… I gots to do it.”

He was just about when he heard the door open. Clicking and clattering on the six metallic pincer like legs of a red armored spider walker a Persona came into view. Oh no…Persona Militia.

Of all the Personas he had to run into it had to be the most blood thirsty of them all. With the vent he was hiding in directly above the door from which the Persona had entered there was little chance he would be seen. Still there were those rumors about the Persona he did not want to challenge. He was about to dart back the way he had come when he noticed where the Persona was headed... to the tank that contained what was left Avery’s companion Lanyon. Against his better judgment he decided to stay

Chained to a post of living flesh and bone he was submerged to the chin in blood. The clear tank showed where the Personas had grafted his veins and arteries to the Bank super-organism. Most striking was how his bloated stomach was now as wide as his legs were long. Movi could not tell for sure but he thought he saw something moving just beneath the pulled skin and flesh.

The Persona poked Lanyon with one of its pincer like legs. “Poor human… to be made to suffer so. Do not fret. It will all be over soon.” Militia used a clawed leg to unscrew one of the many octangle sided canisters attached to the tank . She switched it with an identical canister that had been hidden in the base of another leg. She stepped back and waited.

What are you up to Militia? Nothing good I bet. Movi thought to himself. Whatever was going to happen he bet it would happen soon. His guess proved to be correct.

From the roof the other thirteen personas descended into the room. Unlike Militia they arrived in more common puppet forms. Last to arrive was Persona Prime. “Medica, what is the status of the host? Have we arrived too early?”

“Nay Lady Prime. We have arrived just in time.”

“Why not cut him open now and save us the wait.” Blue Academia sounded as impatient as a hunger demon.

“No… I have not waited this long for the core to be put at risk.” If Academia sounded eager Prime was desperate.

“Are we sure it is a Red, Medica?” Humana asked with little interest.

“We can never be 100% sure until the hatching but all the tests point to it.”

Hatching? Movi definitely didn’t like the sound of that. What is this Red and why is the Prime after it.”

Light around the tank began to flash. “Lady Prime… It’s time.” Medica and the others stepped away to form a semicircle around their leader. The Prime then did something no man had witnessed in tens of thousands of years. The shell of metal, wires and electronics fell away, revealing the true form of the Personas.

What was left was neither machine nor human. Most of its body was taken up by a six foot long conical finned head of pink flesh. Its two bulbous eyes were 18 inch diameter orbs of darkness. Attached to that body were six long tentacles. Each was covered with suckers and poisoned barbs. Compared to the monstrosities of the Maze the real living form of the Personas were true horror.

Movi never seen anything like it; and only a few in the Ark could would recognize it. What Avery would have assume to be a squid; Clive, Jack, and Sven knew its true name...the enemy of their fathers… the Dominus.

The Dominus climbed to the top of the tank until its beak mouth hover right above Lanyon’s head.

Even faced with such horror Lanyon was not about to give in to his fear. “So bitch…want to take a dip? Come on down. The water’s fine. Come on eat me!”

“Foolish Centarii… It is not death that awaits you. With your core all that you ever were will become a part of me. You should consider yourself blessed for you will survive to stand witness to the fall of Man.”

“Not likely. I think you will find you’ve bitten off more than you can chew you bi...” Whatever had been growing in him chose that moment to burst free.

A new born Dominus sliced through skin and bone with razor sharp fins along its crown. It was only a foot and a half in length but just as vicious as a full grown adult. Once free it went straight to feeding. Its barbed tentacles tore into the gaping wound. It stuffed the ripped tissue and flesh down its ravenous maw. In as many minutes it had tripled in size.

When it made its way to the surface its yoke sac floated up with it. It was the size of a large man’s fist. The blood hid its true color but Movi was certain it had to be red. It was the egg of a baby Watcher. “Don’t you dare… don’t you dare harm him.”

The Prime reach down into the tank with her smallest tendrils. They wrapped around the Core, the suckers latching on. Slowly she lifted the sphere from the tank, the infant Dominus being pulled up by its cord. She gave the cord a hard yank, tossing it and the new born to the floor. “No need for another mouth to feed.” Her only concern was for the Core.

To Movi’s horror Militia skewered the infant with one of her dagger sharp legs. And a possible future rival.” Even worse than the deed was how the others laughed.

The Prime however didn’t. Her full attention was on the Core. For thousands of years she and her sisters had survived on ever more intrusive cybernetic surgeries. With the consuming of the Core the Persona Prime would extend her life by a thousand years., more than enough time to see the fall of Earth. Possibly long enough to see the rebirth of a Dominus ruled the galaxy spanning Gaian Empire.

Wanting all her sisters to witness her rise to near immortality she raised the core above her coned head. “Now I will rule all.”

“No you won’t.” Movi heard Militia whisper. Having senses no machine or man could possess he was the only one who did.

“Movi followed Militia’s gaze to the tank… specifically the cylinder she had swapped. There was a near inaudible hiss, followed the rise of bubbles. Besides Movi and Militia none seemed to notice something was amiss. Just as the Prime opened her beak to receive the Core, the monstrosity that had been released in the tank struck.

It was a worm… nay a lamprey. Its sides were lined with hooked pseudopods and suckers. It leapt from the water right into the Prime’s mouth. It then began to consume her from the inside out. The Prime screamed, the supersonic waves causing the tank to crack and Movi’s light to flicker.

“Omega!” The Prime screamed over and over again.

“Omega… its Omega. We’re doomed.” The other Primes shouted as they fled from the chamber on their puppet like wires and tubes.

Only Militia remained calm. She laughed as she watched her rival tear herself apart with her own barbed tentacles. “What does it feel like to be eaten alive my dear Prime. Not as bad as being betrayed by your own kind? But that is the Dominus way. In your complacency you let yourself become weak and foolish. If we are to have our revenge against the gods such weaknesses cannot be tolerated.” Militia looked away from her rival to the tank. “Now, where did you drop that pretty pretty Core. I must have it if I am to become an immortal Prime. Where is it?”

“Movi knew where it was. He had not been distracted by the need to gloat. It was in the bottom of the tank. Now filled with the red blood of man and the black ichor Persona Prime, only Movi’s heat sensing vision could see where it fell. He also saw what else was hidden in the tank. Should he tell the bitch? Just to see her reaction was nearly worth a quick death. But no… there was his master to consider. Everett and the others had to be warned.

In the end there was no need. After searching the chamber there was only one place where the Sphere could be. The realization hit her like a 10,000 amp jolt. Frantically she adjusted the tanks flow valves. After it had been flushed and she the sphere and the swarm of tiny new born worms. “But there was only one. Only ONE! How can this be? Unless…” Dropping out of Lanyon’s body cavity was a hatched egg. “No, Nooooo, Noooooooooo!”

Like all the members of the Double Dozens except Avery, he had been Symbionte carrier. Though it was already too late she triggered the tank’s incinerator. The flash burn raised the temperature in the tank from human body temp to 5000 degrees Celsius in five seconds leaving parasites, Prime, and Lanyon three foot pile of ash.

If the tank had not been flushed the disaster might have been contained. There was still a chance it had been but Movi knew as well as Militia that some eggs and worms had to have been flushed into the Ark’s water reservoir. From there the sentient Symbionts could grow and multiply and eventually infest the entire complex. The Ark was doomed. All the Personas could do now was take what they could and escape. The Tosian Ark was not the only one of its kind. Scattered among the larger planetoids orbiting dwarf magnastar were other Arks the Personas controlled. There were also those in the Domus Cluster under the control of the rebels.

It would mean starting all over again but if Militia were to take the Segundo with her, the Personas at the other Arks would glady take her in. She might even be able to demand she be given a positon of power, not the Prime position of course, but if she played her hand right she might retain her position as Persona 2.

First she needed to destroy any incriminating evidence. Altering the records would not be difficult. Dealing with her fellow Personas would be. Whatever it took she would not hesitate from doing it. That included sending the entire planetoid crashing into the neutron star.

She had time, though not much, to set her plans into motion. It would take 14 days for the Symbionts to mature to the point of being able to reproduce. It would take another 6 for that second batch of eggs to hatch. Militia could count on at least having 34 cycles before the worms would make their move. She could squeeze out a little more time by disabling the Ark’s heating system. The worms struggled to grow and multiply in a cold environment. It made them sluggish. It would result in the death of the Flesh Bank but it no longer served a purpose.

As critical as the situation was she was still able to laugh as she left. “At least I am not leaving you alone in an empty tomb my dear Prime.”

 

Even after he was sure she would not return Movi did not budge from his perch. He too needed to come up with a plan. His Master had to be warned. As he would never leave without his mate so did Avery. That part of his mission had not changed. But who to go to first? It didn’t make much sense for him to go to Avery before Everett could come up with a plan to rescue him. He would have to go back to the palace. He knew that but his master would not be pleased if he didn’t make sure Avery was still alive.”

Seeing movement under the ash he knew the proper solution. “You can come out now.”

“You won’t eat me?”

“How can I eat you when I don’t have a mouth? Come little one. If you don’t come out I’ll leave you behind.”

“Nooooooo!” A cloud of ash shot up from the tank. Leading it was a tiny speck of red light. “Don’t leave me!”

“Poor thing… This is not how it’s supposed to be.” The Cores gave their hosts long life and great endurance but not just to them. There was a Core within the Core, the soul stone. The soul stone was the living consciousness of the Core. In most cases it never separated from its host. In the right environment and circumstances it could take the form of an independent Watcher. Clearly that’s what happened with Lanyon.

With this Lanyon dead Movi now ‘had’ to see Avery first. The Watcher would not be satisfied being with anyone but his Bionoid copy. “See little one I’m not all that scary.”

“Hey, you’re big”

“That’s because I’m older.”

“Does that mean I will get that big one day?”

“Maybe. Why?”

“Because when I am big I’m going to eat all the meanies.”

“First you don’t have a mouth. Second I don’t think Personas would taste all that good.”
“Well they were going to eat me. It’s only fair I try to eat them before they try to eat me.”

“That they were but you’re safe now.”

“But my master….” The tiny speck flickered as it sobbed.

“I know, but we can’t stay here. Don’t worry. I’ll take you someplace safe.” Safer than here at least. “Come the sooner we leave the better.”

“Can I at least say goodbye.”

Movi felt pity and rage radiate from him in waves of crimson light. This was not how a Watcher was to be born. A Watcher should not enter this world without a master. Without a Master a Watcher could not even have a name.

In cases like this the Watcher would serve the nearest blood kin. As Talon’s father had been constructed from tissue samples collected from Harry Winters, Puggles attachment to Avery was natural .As far as Movi knew Lanyon had no blood kin for the Watcher to serve. At least none on Ares. He would have to trust in his love for Avery had been strong enough that a part of it had passed to his Watcher. It was the best he could do.

           
 

 

           

 
 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Uncles

 

 

Movi and Militia were not the only ones to know the danger than threatened the Ark. Sven and Jack both sensed the arrival of an enemy they despised more than the Personas. Jack had jumped from wall to wall looking for the spot furthest from the pipes. He eventually settled with his back to the door. Puppy too was scared. He had hopped into his boy’s pocket and refused to come out.

Sven on the other hand was overwhelmed with agitation. He paced about his cell kicking and punching the walls until his knuckles bled. “Damn it! Why won’t you die!”

“Quite!” Though not a Scion Clive knew the family’s history with their grandfather’s youngest offspring. The product of his rape by the Dominus the boys’ grandfather had denounced the Symbionts and denied them as his Scions. They were cursed ones, last born, Omega, the sworn enemy of all Ares born.

If he had been in any condition to listen to Clive Avery would still not understood the nature of the Omegas. Much to the shock of Clive and the cousins Avery Winters was even more affected then they. He could hear the voices of over a half dozen Symbionts echoing in his head. Some threaten to eat him alive. Others begged for forgives. One, the strongest of them all, beckoned him to join them. It was proving more than he could withstand.

Clive cradled Avery on the floor. “It’s alright Ave… I won’t let them get you. I won’t let them get any of us for all it matters.” He looked up to where Puggles was circling above them. “Isn’t there anything you can do?”

“I would if I knew what to do. I can’t stand seeing Uncle Avie like this. I swear if one of those wormy things gets in here, I’ll fry it with a lightning bolt before I let it have him.”

“They can’t get me, they can’t get me, they…” For the last hour Avery had repeated that line over and over.

“We won’t let them get you.” Clive said reassuringly.

“No… they can’t get me!”

Puggles was confused. “You mean you can’t let them get you or they can’t get you?”

“THEY CAN”T GET ME!”

“There. Problem solved. They can’t get him.” The Watcher bounced around as if he didn’t have a care in the world.

“Damn it Pugs… are you really no smarter than a light bulb?”

“He might be right uncle.” Sven said. “The Symbionts can’t get to either of us. They’d die if they try to control us.”

“But that would mean he’s a Scion.” Jack said with excitement. “I told you he’s our uncle!” Jack shouted. For the moment at least proof that Avery was indeed a Scion cheered him enough to forget his fear of the Symbionts.”

Sven snorted. “Uncle? More like distant cousin.”

“But I thought all the bloodlines were accounted for” Clive said, still unsure if any of it was true.

“Maybe one of our Uncles met a pretty mommy.” Jack said.

“More likely one of them got careless.” Clive shook his head. “My father was very strict in teaching them the risk of spreading the family bloodline to humanity.”

“Are you saying he’s not my uncle?” Jack was about to burst into tears of disappointment.

“He’s most certainly not our uncle. Have you forgotten how old you really are?” Sven critized.

“I know I’m younger than you, you old raggedy man.”

“Only by a half century.” Sven insisted.

“Enough!” Clive shouted. “If he is family the last thing he needs is to listen to you two bicker.”

“I can tell you!” Puggles was bouncing from floor to ceiling in excitement.”

“How?” All three asked.

“Because I’M a WATCHER, that’s why. I knew the first time I met him that he and Talon were related. That means I should be able to find out if any of you are related to him too.”

Jack shouted with joy. “See uncle… he is a smart light bulb.”

“I’m not a light bulb! Jeeze, how many times am I going to have to say that?”

Sven couldn’t help himself. “Calm down. You wouldn’t want to burst a bulb.”

“Why you…” Puggles shot through the vents to Sven’s cell. Even if Clive couldn’t hear Sven’s screams he could see the flash of lightning through the vent.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I won’t call you a light bulb anymore.”

“WHAT AM I!”

“I’m sorry… you’re a Watcher.”

“The best Watcher you’ll ever see.”

“That’s not saying much.” Clive said before he could stop himself. Luckily Puggles seemed not to hear that.

“Well Puggles… is he our Uncle?” Jack asked.

“I don’t know about uncle but he seems to be related to y’all.”

“I knew it!” Jack said.

“Yeah yeah… you were right. I was wrong.” Sven groaned

“I’m smarter than Sven is. I’m smarter than Sven is…” Jack was not about to miss the chance to rub it in his cousin’s face.

Clive couldn’t help from laughing at the pair’s bickering. “And he’s never going to let you forget that Sven.”

“At least I don’t pee the bed.” Sven said.

“Do not!” Jack replied, his moment of joy ruined.

“Do so. You’re always sneaking out of bed and changing clothes.”

“Since when?”

“Since before we got trapped here.”

That was ages ago. I don’t do that anymore.”

“Yeah right.”

“Enough you two. Keep this up and Avery and I will leave you both behind. That way you two can go at each other without an audience.”

“We’re sorry,” the cousins said as one.

“Anyway… I don’t see how this helps us. Avery being a Scion that is,” Sven pointed out.

“That depends on which branch of the family he’s on.” Clive replied.

“Well it can’t be Gavin or Thomas. And we would know if he were Uncle Jake’s or related to my father Odin. He can’t be Brutus’s. That only leaves the twins.” Clive said.

“Why can’t he be Brutus’s?” Jack asked.

“Because he couldn’t have kids dummy,” Sven replied.

“Yes he could!” Jack insisted.

“Alright if there had been another of his kind to mate with he might have but he was the only one of his kind on the whole planet. So no he couldn’t. I still don’t know why grandfather insisted on it being that way.”

“It was Brutus’s choice. He could have stayed with his own kind but did not want to be separated from so many of his cousins.”

“I miss him. He was the bestest uncle.” Jack wiped his eyes before the tears could build up.

“He was my father’s best cousin. When he died my father’s heart died with him,” Sven whispered.

“I’m sorry Sven… I shouldn’t have brought that up,” Clive apologized.

“It’s alright. I’ve gotten used to him not being around. Still if I ever get my hands on Julian…”

“We all want to get our hands on Julian Lordon.” Clive agreed. “If your grandfather were to ever learn what he did to your uncles... well, whatever we could think of wouldn’t compare to what he would do.”

“Will grandfather ever wake up Uncle Clive?” Jack asked.

“He foresaw that one day he would. He also foresaw it wouldn’t be a good thing. I hope he never wakes up. That way Julian will never win.” Clive said.

The echoing voice of a Watcher spoke up. “Uhm… excuse me but care to fill me in. All this family talk has left me confused.”

“Movi!” Pugs screamed. For the first time in his existence he was happy to see the bully. “Oh Movi, you’ve come to rescue us, haven’t you? There’s four of us… well five including Puppy. Where’s Everett, should he be right behind you?”

“Shut up you blubbering fool. Keep that up and I might leave you behind.”

“You wouldn’t dare!” Pugs shouted.

“Try me.” Movi threatened.

“But you need me.” Pugs insisted.

“Funny I’ve been telling you that for cycles. However, we can discuss that later. I’ve come to warn you about the…”

“Omega, we already know.”

“Yeah, do you know that Militia plans on sending the entire planetoid into the white star just so the Personas at the other Arks don’t learn she was the one who released those worms into the water supply?”

“Given how dangerous those things are that’s probably the best thing she can do.”

Puggles was flabbergasted. He was way too young to die. “Not with us trapped here it’s not!”

“Of course we’ll get out of here before that happens. Now that I think about it. With a blue and a red we’re two thirds of the way there.”

“Two thirds of what.” Both Movi and Puggles didn’t like how Clive was looking at them.

“Two thirds of the key… the Star Key.”

“Star Key?” None of them, not even Jack and Sven had heard of a Star Key.”

“The master key that gives access to the systems control room. It’s in the center of the magnastar.”

“Are you crazy… the magnetic and gravitational forces would tear even a Watcher apart.”

“That is why you need the Star Key. When the three parts are joined together it allows you to jump from wherever you are to star.”

“Are you telling me this key is made of Watchers?” Puggles defiantly didn’t like the sound of this.

“Three Watchers fused into a single one… and you are the key part Pugs.”

“Surely there are ones better suited and braver than little old me.”

“No, unless you know another Watcher named Pugs as in the Power Unit of a Gating System. P-U-G-S, Pugs.”

“I’m going to faint.” Pugs moaned.

“No you won’t. Batteries don’t faint they go dead.” Movi’s attempt to poke fun failed to lighten his mood. “Please tell me I’m not some sort of acronym.”

“Movi, no.”

“Thank the Personas ,no, backtrack. Screw the Personas. They won’t turn me into a battery.”

“I’m not a battery. I’m not a light bulb. I’m am cute adorable Puggles and if any of you say otherwise I’ll let you all die here. How’s that?”

“Pugs… Puggles… don’t you see how special you are. Only a Watcher of a Scion can power the key. If you hadn’t come here with Avery we wouldn’t have known you existed. With you we have at least some hope of escaping. Isn’t a Watcher supposed to protect his Master at all cost?”

“But I don’t know who my Master is anymore. Oh Puggles, Puggles, Puggles... what am going to tell Talon.”

“Whatever you do don’t tell him the truth.” It was Avery who spoke. “He must never know he’s a clone. It would kill him.”

Movi floated away from the others. “You might not tell him but I’m afraid Master Everett will.”

“But Everett is also a Bionoid. Isn’t he?” Avery asked.

“He is and he isn’t.” Movi said.

“I don’t understand? Either he was born or built. Which one was it?”

“He was born. His father is the Walker but his mother is the Gene Bank.”

Avery was confused. “Gene Bank? You mean a donated egg or something like that.”

Clive glared at the Watcher. “You don’t want to know Avery.”

“I think I have the right to know.”

“Believe me you don’t want to know. If you ever saw the Gene Bank you would never be free of the memory of thee sight. Puggles take Avery to the far side of the room. You don’t want to hear this either.”

“What about me. I’ve been to the Bank and I don’t want to hear about it.” A tiny voice squeaked. It was coming from Movi.

“Something you want to tell us Movi?”

“I will after they are gone.” There was no need for him to name who he was referring to.

Avery got back onto his feet. “Alright… I can see we’re not welcomed here. Come on Pugs… you and I can gossip about a certain red light bulb.”

“Sounds like fun.”
“Well Movi… what’s this about.” Clive asked.

“It’s about Lanyon. He’s well dead.”

“Avery already guessed that after he figured out he had been replaced with a Bionoid.”

“No. He wasn’t dead then. Until a half cycle ago he was still alive.”
“Now I know why you didn’t want Avery around. What happened?”

“The Personas… they’re not what you think they are. They’re not machines but living creature… no monsters with giant heads and stringy long tentacles. They also didn’t call themselves Personas but…”

“Dominus… god, they survived. Somehow they survived. This is what grandfather must have foreseen. The Dominus are coming to Earth for revenge.” Tears born of terror ran down Clive face. “Give me a moment.”

“Take all the time you want. What I saw the Dominus do to Avery’s friend should be done to no man.”

“They impregnated him, didn’t they?”

“Yes.”

“It was the worst punishment they could give to their slaves. Being eaten alive from the inside… I don’t want to know but I must. How did it happen?”

Movi went through all he had witnessed in the Bank; The birth of the Prime’s child and its callous murder, Militia’s betrayal, the Prime’s death and how it backfired on Persona 2 with the escape of the Symbionts. He left the part dealing with Lanyon’s Watcher for last.

“Poor little guy. The Prime was about to eat him when the Symbionts struck. Without a Master he can’t even be given a name.”

“Why Movi, you actually sound like you care.” Sven said.

“Of course I do. We Watcher look out for each other.”

“You should remember that the next time you cause Pugs grief,” Clive said.

“But he won’t…” Movi saw Avery look in his direction. He wisely lowered his voice. “He won’t bond with me.”

“If you can find us a purple Watcher you will.”

“A Purple Watcher? No such thing.”

“There are… all you need is the proper Master. The blood line is not one the Personas find malleable to their will. I know of two, but that was years ago.”

“Who were their Masters?”

“The two were friends of Avery’s father.”

“The ones who led the last revolt the Labatt and Gains?”

“Those two. The Labatt gave up everything to save Avery’s father. I wonder if any of them are still alive.”

“Why? Do you think they can help us?”

“No… the last thing I heard was they were heading for the Domus Cluster. If they made it it’s impossible for them to come back. The Personas… No, let’s call them what they are. The Dominus have that part of Ares walled off. You might break in but it would be suicide for them to try and break out. I should know. The people of Domus threw away thousands of lives to attempt to rescue us. The Dominus would pile up the bodies and make us watch as they ate them. Giving up was the best thing they could do for the boys. Pray they don’t try again to save Avery.”

“Hey Squirt. What’s your name?” Both recognized Puggles giggle.

“It looks like your new friend has abandoned you.” Clive said as he pointed to the small red sphere floating next to Pugs.

“Damn it.” Movi cursed. “What am I going to tell them? I can’t hide he’s an infant or that he doesn’t have a Master.”

“Let them figure it out on their own. Who knows. Puggles’s opinion of you can only improve.”

“That’s the same as saying it can’t get any worse.”

 

 

Chapter Twenty-Nine: Super Solider

 

 

Since a purple Watcher could not enter the Ark without notice Ray had been forced to hide inside Talon. It was not a pleasant experience for either of them. The idea he could enter people had never occurred to Ray. He now knew why. He hated feeling trapped in a confined container, especially a scaredy cat like Talon. The boy fretted over the smallest thing. He was no soldier, that’s for sure.

For example he had spent the last hour cajoling Talon to cross the final security point to the Ark. “As your commanding officer I order you to charge the enemy.”

“But there’s so many of them.”

“They don’t look so tough.”

“But they have shock spears.”

“And I have super-duper- lightning power. Let me out and I’ll deal with them.”

“No way. You’ll get us killed.”

“Staying in the Maze will do the same. They let you out so why won’t they let you back in?”

“Because those are not the same ones who let me through.”

“Oh… the nicey guards let you through but those meany ones won’t let you back in?”

“Not with Peppy. The Personas would do terrible things to him… to us if they catch him.”

“I see. Don’t worry… Super Corporal Ray Ray will save the day.”

“No you won’t. We’ll stay here until they go away. Everett’s men have to come back sometime.”

“But what if they don’t. We don’t need to take a break. Ray Ray is super solider.”

“I know that all too well.”

“Pretty pretty please let me out. It’s so cramped in here.”

“No… you’ll only cause trouble.”

“But I promise to be nicey.”

“You won’t. You’ll run off and attack the Persona’s soldiers.”

“I swear! Pretty please with cherries on top/?”

“What’s a cherry?”

“Ray doesn’t know. It’s what Uncle Neil tells Ray when he gives us our orders.”
“Well, alright.”

“Yay… I’m free!” The Watcher didn’t waste a moment. He charged at the androids and released a storm of energy bolts into them. All four guards were soon nothing but a pile of burnt metal and fried circuitry.

“Ray, you promised.”’

“We promise Papa Captain to save Cousin Avie. Ray must do what Captain says. Didn’t you also promise to help save Avie?”

“I did but… Damn it. I hate it when you’re right.”

“You should listen to Ray more. Ray super smart.”

“Ray will be super dead if he doesn’t go hide again.”

“But we hate not being free.”

“You won’t be able to follow the captain’s orders if we get caught. Didn’t you say you were a super-secret spy?”

“Ray did say that. Okeydokey. We go hide in dark tiny smelly place but we won’t like it.”

“Smell? Watchers can’t smell.”

“Super-duper Ray Ray can. Ray is super Watcher.”

“Whatever.”

“The rest of the way they ran into no more of the Personas Cybernoids. There were however double the number of the Segundo’s soldiers patrolling the Ark. Something had clearly happened while Talon had been away. Talon was sure it would most likely be something terrible.

Near the Segundo Palace they were met by a double squad of Everett’s men. They escorted them straight to their commander. They found Everett shouting at his officers. He even threw a chair at the Lanyon Bionoid. Though the Segundo was clearly not in the best of moods Talon had never been so glad to see him.

“Everett, I’ve come back!”

“Talon…” Everett’s eyes were bloodshot from lack of sleep. “Did you find the rebels?”

“I found some of them.”

“How many and how soon will they get here.”

“Well… only one really.”

“One… just one!”

“The others were captured by the Walker. I…” Talon could feel Ray struggling to get free. “Stop it!”

“Stop it? All I’m doing is trying to figure out what you’ve been up to the last seven cycles.”

“Not you. Ray.”

“What are you talking about? Who’s Ray.”

The Watcher picked that moment to break free. “I am! Super Corporal Ray reporting sir.”

“A purple Watcher?” Everett said with complete surprise.

“I think I’m going to be sick.” Talon bent over and heaved on the pink granite marble floor.

Everett moved in closer to the hyper ball of energy, “Super Corporal Ray? I must say you’re the first solider Watcher I’ve come across. And Purple too. Where are you from?”

“I’m from Captain Papa. We are on super-secret mission to find cousin Avie and bring him back home.”

“Cannot be all that secret since you just told me your entire reason for being here.”

“Well… uhmmmmm. Please don’t tell Captain Papa. We were just made Super Corporal. We don’t want to go back to being a sad private.”

“I won’t tell. But where is your captain?”

“Smelly Talon already said. He and the others were captured by bad demon meanie.”

“So he sent you to find help. Perfect. How many people am I supposed to save?”

“Only Avie… Papa Captain is brave, braver than even Ray. When he comes he’ll get Avie free.”

“Okay… we’ll free Avery first. Was just about to when my Watcher got back from where Avery is being kept prisoner.”

“So why haven’t you?” Talon asked.

“The situation has become more complicated. A species of dangerous parasites called the Symbionts have infested the Ark. This has the Personas so terrified they plan on destroy the entire Ark.”

“Ray know about wormy Symbionts. Papa Captain has one.”

“He does? And he is not under their control?”

“No silly. Cousin Avie made sure of that.”

“What does Avery have to do with them?”

“Avie is super special member of the Double Dozen. Symbionts can’t hurt him or his friends. Avie doesn’t know Papa Captain but Papa is his friend.”

Everett turned to Lanyon. “Did you know about this?”

“I’m not the real Laynon. Without his Core I know only what the Personas programed into me.”

“If we get you to your Watcher you will gain many of his memories.”

“The Watcher belonged to the real Lanyon. It won’t bond to me.”

“You are the only blood kin the Watcher has. At the very least give him a name.”

“I would rather Avery do it. He’s real at least.”

Everett saw the tears running down Talon’s face. So he had come to accept the truth as well. Avery already has a Watcher. I doubt it will be willing to share his Master with another. It has to be you. At least until we get you back home.” Talon whispered sadly.

“Avery’s home, not mine,” the fake Lanyon replied.

“It might not be your home but it soon will be mine,” Everett said to everyone’s surprise. “Did you think I would let Avery leave without me?”

“You wouldn’t.” The Bionoid Lanyon was less than pleased.

“Symbointes, Bionoids, Watchers with no papa… The more they said the more Ray was confused. When the captain had sent him to rescue Avery he didn’t think things would get so complicated. “Ex-squeeze me… but shouldn’t we save Avie first?”

Ray had given Lanyon the excuse to change the subject. “The Watcher’s right. We need to think of Avery first. How soon until we can make our move?”

“Timing is everything. We could act now but would probably lose our lives and Avery’s as well. But if we strike when the Personas are occupied with escaping the resulting chaos could tip the balance in our favor.”

“I don’t know. If the Personas learn they can use Avery against Omega we could lose him before that happens.”

While they debated Movi thought long and hard before speaking. “But we can use the Eye.”

“What Movi? What eye?”

“The Star Key. The Scions said that if we found a purple Watcher then the three of us could form the Eye.”

“And what does this Eye do?”

“It can form a gateway between here and the center of our white star. From there the Eye can take us to any point in the galaxy… or so the Scions said.”

“How is that possible?”

“I don’t know but they believe it’s true. Anyway what choice do we have? If Militia doesn’t send our planet into the star the Personas at the other Arks sure will when they learn it is infested with parasites. Better we leave Ares for good.”

Everett could sense that Movi was leaving something out but now was not the time to force it out of him. “I don’t see how this changes our plans.”

“Why wait? Two Watchers should be able to sneak into the detention level. It will be easier for us than you forcing our way in.” Lanyon knew Everett would turn down his plan. He was more interested in the Segundo’s response.

“And leave my people behind?

“You mean leave you behind.” Lanyon thought to himself.

. “We will follow the plan we already agreed to.” Everett insisted.

“Ex-squeeze me. Ex-squeeze me... but Ray can’t wait. Papa Captain gave us orders that we are to rescue Cousin Avie as soon as possible.”

“If you want to get yourself killed go right ahead.”

“But we need him for the...” Movi was about to bring up the Eye again but saw Lanyon shake his head.

“Movi needs to go back and tell Avery our plans. Ray could tag along.” Lanyon suggested.

The Segundo sighed but nodded. “So long as it doesn’t interfere with the plan you can do whatever you want. You can go with them too. You’re better off dead to me anyway.”

“Since you have no need for my advice I will.” Lanyon said.

“Uhmmm Master?” Movi wavered on whether to warn Everett about Lanyon’s subterfuge but like with Pugs his time with Avery had shifted his sense of loyalty.”

“The sooner you leave the fast you can get rid of this fool.” Everett told his watcher.

His cold dismissal was what tipped his decision in Lanyon’s favor. “We’ll leave at once.” Movi replied. “Come along Ray.”

“Coming. Just so you know I outrank you.”

“Do you now… I am the Watcher of the Segundo. Yours is just a captain. I also am the only one who can lead you to Ave.”

“Cousin Avie,” Ray corrected.

Movi’s glow darkened to a blood red. First Lanyon’s Watcher and now this one. “Watcher’s don’t have cousins or families for that matter.” Why couldn’t he run into a smart sensible Watcher instead of these kids?

“But I do. I go Papa, a dozen uncles and cousin Avie.”

“You only think they are your family.”

“But they are! Just cause you don’t have any uncles doesn’t mean I don’t. Maybe I’m not really a Watcher. I don’t feel like one. That has to be it. I am not a Watcher so I do have a real family. You wouldn’t be such a meanie if you had one too.”

Lanyon found he liked this Watcher, or whatever it was, a lot more than the others he’d run into. “You got a lot of spunk kid.”

“Spunk? What’s that?”

“You’re brave and don’t let anyone say otherwise.”

“Papa Captain says that too. Ray is super brave super solider!”

“Yeah whatever.” Everett grumbled as he went back to giving orders to his Bionoids.

Lanyon laughed. “Don’t mind him… he’s a meanie.”

 

 

Chapter Thirty: Escape

 

 

Ryan was only half asleep when he felt his bonds cut. What the…”

“Shhhh… don’t say anything. You’ll alert the guards.” The voice was Lance’s. “Wait while I free the others.” Once their bonds had be removed Lance led them past a pair of dead Mantis. “Stop gaping and keep moving. It is only a matter of time before something notices we’re gone.”

“What about Tobias?”

“He’s safe… or will be. We’re not the only ones fed up with Travis’s madness.”

They were led to a side tunnel where Lance had stashed their gear. After they had reclaimed their equipment Lance handed Ryan a map showing the fastest route to the Ark where Avery was being kept.”

“Aren’t you coming with us?” Neil asked when Lance turned back the way they had come.

“No. I have to stay if I’m to save Tobias.”

“I thought you said he was safe?

“He will be after I rescue him. Right now he’s chained to Travis’s throne. When Travis learns you escaped he will charge after you. With him gone I should have no problem freeing him.”

“But where will you go?”

“To the tower where I found you.” Lance looked down as debated if he should give them his most prized treasure. Reaching into his belt he pulled out a long ivory handed dagger. “Here, take this?”

“Keep it. We got our own.”

“Not like this one. I don’t know what Avery’s father was thinking giving it to me. It’s no use to me but there are those in the Ark who might be able to put it to good use.”

“Who?”

“There’s a prisoner. A man called Clive . All you need to do is give it to him. He’ll know to use it.”

“Can’t you tell me how to?”

“No… the fact of the matter is that you won’t be able to make it work any better than me. Clive … you have to give it to Clive and pray he won’t have to use it.”

“If you say so. Good luck.”

“And to you. Now run.”

And run they did. The map Lance provided was quite accurate. Not only did they cover a lot of ground they also avoided running into the creatures of the Maze. For two days Ryan did not let his men rest. By now the Walker and his followers were searching the tunnels for them. Every step they took to the Ark was therefore another separating them from their pursuers. “We’re almost there men… almost there.”

Almost was not close enough. One mile from the Ark they ran into a swarm of Mantis Warriors. By the way the Mantis hesitated they were as surprised to see their prey caught as much as Ryan and his men were. Even so the firefight was quick and decisive. With the Nanos alerted to their presence Ryan and his team didn’t get far before they were faced more of the Demon’s followers. This time the Mantis were ready for them.

“This ain’t working captain. With each one we kill two arrive to take its place.”

“I know. If you have any suggestions I’m willing to listen.”

“We could cave in the tunnel. Might buy us some time.”

“It will also take us off the map.”

“I hate to tell you this sir but it is only a matter of time before we run out of ammo or they overwhelm us with their numbers.”

“If you put it that way.” Ryan turned to face two of his men. “Lee, Simmons… see if you can rain a few rocks on our friends.”

“More than a happy to Captain.” Lee said.

Ryan gave the signal for the rest of troops to provide cover.”

The demolition team finished setting the charges just as a pack of Spiderwolves joined the fight. “Ready when you are sir.” Lee primed the remote detonator.

“Everyone pull back!”

Before everyone could clear the blast zone an exceptionally large wolf charged through the rain of bullets, and shot both stingers right at Ryan. Before they could hit their target Lee pushed Ryan pushed Ryan to the ground. The result was the stingers hitting him instead of his captain.

“We got a man down!” Before Ryan could stand Lee was already being reined in by the beast.”

“It’s been an adventure captain but I think this is as far as I’ll go.” Lee held out the remote and flipped the detonation switch.

“Nooooooo!” Ryan yelled as Neil and two other men grabbed Ryan and pulled him back in the nick of time.

The concussion blast sent everyone flying away from the explosion as a hundred tons of rock came crashing down. Ryan would never clearly remember what happened next. Deafened by the explosion Neil led the team through hand signals down series of detouring tunnels. Along the way they used the rest of the plastic explosives to cave in three more tunnels. No longer pursued by the Nanos they were able to cover a large amount of distance.

Somehow Neil led them right to the entrance to the Ark. Even more surprising was who met them at the gate. Even if they had not been deafened by the explosion they would not have understood their language. Not at first at least. Through primitive hand language the natives convinced them to swallow the thick white sweet liqueur they offered.

The effect was magical. Not only did Ryan feel revitalized and his hearing restored he found he could understand what the strangers were saying. “You speak English?”

“No invader it is you who is now speaking our language.”

“But how’s that possible?”

“The leader of the band held up a bottle of the elixir. You gained not just healing but knowledge as well.”

“I can’t say I understand but I’ll take your word for it. We’ve come for Avery Winters. Can you lead us to him?”

“No. The Segundo ordered we bring you to him. You must convince him that your cause is the same as his.”

“Where’s Ray? Neil asked.

“Yeah where is the bugger?” Ryan demanded. “I take it he’s the reason you knew we were coming.”

“The Watcher is with the one you call Lanyon.”

“So he’s safe too. Good we can kill two birds with one stone.”

“A Lanyon has survived but not the Lanyon.”

“Huh?” Ryan and Neil had no clue how to make sense of that.”

“The Segundo will explain. We must hurry. You have not lost your pursuers. We must get you inside before the Nanos attack the Ark.”

Not knowing what else he could say Ryan nodded his head. “Lead the way.”

  ____________________________________

           

The reunion of Avery and the false Lanyon was painful for both. Avery struggled to separate his feelings for his dead friend from his distrust of the perfect copy. The Bionoid was equally lost for words. Avery’s discomfort dampened Lanyon’s initial excitement of seeing him again.

Luckily the excitement of the Ray meeting Avery and the newborn Watcher meeting the closest thing he could have to a Master washed away the pain both felt.

Ray was the first to break the awkward silence. “Which one of you is Avie?”

“I am…” Avery gave the Bionoid a final sad look before shifting his gaze to the purple Watcher.

“Yay… It’s nice to meet ya. Super Ray has been looking for you my entire life. Captain Papa be looking for you since forever and ever.”

“Well I’m glad you found me.”

“So be Ray.” The Watcher released a cloud of harmless purple sparks.

Seeing he was not going to be part of the conversation Lanyon retreated from the others. “Are you my papa?” a tiny voice ask.

“Me?” Searching for the source of the voice Lanyon found the tiny red speck of light. “You’re pretty small for a Watcher.”

“I be small because I have no papa. Will you be my papa?”

“May I ask why?”

“Because you be Lanyon.”

“I am a Lanyon, not the Lanyon.”

“I don’t mind. Any Lanyon be better than none at all.”

“I can’t argue against that but why any Lanyon. Why not someone else.”

“Because THE Lanyon was killed by the meanies when I be born.”

“I see… Sorry to hear that lad. Since you insist on having a Lanyon as your papa and since I’m the closest thing left if you’ll willing to have me you can be my Watcher.”

“Thanky very much Papa Lanyon.” The speck moved within an inch of the Bionoid’s nose, hesitated and when it was ready dived in. Having found its Master the tiny speck of light expanded to full size.

For Lanyon however the effect was more profound. Just as the Watcher had been born of the true Lanyon’s core, it also had much of his memories and experiences. These the Watcher shared with the Bionoid. When those memories became a full part of his own the original’s feelings for Avery were now his own.

Before he could think better the complete Lanyon took hold of Avery and pulled him into a deep kiss. “Oh Ave… I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I understand now. I’m here now. As much as I can be I’m here.”

Avery couldn’t say how he knew for certain but he knew the true Lanyon from a fake. “How?”

“The Watcher… When he joined to me all that made your Lanyon, the Lanyon who loved you. I am your Lanyon. As much as I can be the real Lanyon at least.”

“I… I don’t know what to say.” Hot tears fell from his eyes onto Lanyon’s cheeks.

“Say nothing… your tears tell me all I need to know.”

“Ray Ray happy happy!” Ray let out a second cloud of sparks.

“I’ll be happier when we get out of here.” Sven shouted.

“I think I have a solution to that. I did bring you a purple Watcher.” Lanyon said with a bit of pride.

“Not Watcher… super solider Ray Ray,” Ray corrected.

“A purple one at that.” Clive pointed out.

Avery turned to the angel. “Clive ?”

“It’s up to you and the Watchers not me.”

“Pugs, Movi?”

“You know what I want Avery.” Movi moved in closer to Pugs.

Pugs was less certain about joining the other Watchers to form the Key. “I… Uhmmm... Can we think this through?”

“Pugs… Right now the Personas are too busy fighting among themselves and making their escape to pay attention to us. Still it’s only a matter of time before they destroy the Ark and the Maze along with it.”

“But I’s like being me.”

“And I like… no love you Pugs. I know Talon feels the same way. So does Movi.”

“Movi might like me but I don’t like Movi.”

“But I love you Puggles. Movi, Movi…” The pain and heartache was so unlike anything the Watcher had ever shown before.

“You do Movi?” Puggles move closer to the red Watcher.

“I wouldn’t have put up with so much of your nonsense if I didn’t.”

Pugs pulled away. “Nonsense? That’s mean, meanie!”

“Pugs… I want to go home and I want to take you with me,” Avery said.

“What about Everett?” Movi asked.

“I…”

“You never loved him did you?” Movi accused.

“I never wanted to. He can be such a…”

“Cold blooded killer?” The Watcher finished. “You were not born in the Ark. You’ve only been here a short time yet… I won’t let you leave him behind. That would be the same as you killing him yourself.”

“I didn’t say he couldn’t it’s just…”

Clive placed a hand on each of Avery’s shoulders. “After we get there things will be different. You will be different.”

“I won’t be that different.” Avery replied.

“But you will Ave… I wasn’t being fully honest with you. To create the Eye you need not just three Watchers but also one Master.”

“Oh Puggles, Puggles… Me knows who it has to be.”

“It has to be me?” Avery asked?”

“Yes, you.” Clive could feel the tension building in Avery’s body.

“What will happen to me?” Avery asked.

“You’ll forget.”

“Forget?”

“Aye… you, me… all who travel with you. We’ll all forget this place and each other.”

“Avie will even forget about Puggles?” Pugs asked Clive.

“Yes… It is possible he will one day remember but I can’t promise he ever will.”

Pugs didn’t like Clive’s answer. “But what about me? Will Puggles forget too?”

“I don’t know the answer to that. You will not be as you were. You will still be a part of Avery but for good.”

Ray didn’t like the sound of that. “But me don’t like being in dark tiny smelly people.”

“Avie don’t smell,” Puggles said in Avery’s defense

“Talon smelly.”

“But I’m not Talon.” Avery pointed out.

“Me need to see for me self. The purple Watcher dived into Avery.

Whatever Ray was doing caused Avery to giggle. “Stop… that tickles.”

“No smelly, no darkie, no tiny….Ray likey.” Ray said we he came out to give his report.

“I’m glad you approve.” Avery felt as if Ray had gone through him like a girl going through her stuffed closet.

“If it means I’ll always be with you I’ll do it.” Puggles moved to the tip of his noise.

“What about Talon?”

“Please don’t make this harder for me.” Pugs pleaded.

“But Talon is your Master.”

“Talon not real. You, however, are real.”

“He was real to you once.” Avery wanted to make sure Pugs knew what he was getting into.

“That’s because we didn’t know better. Right Movi?”

“It’s true Ave… Talon and Everett might have been our Masters by fate but we want to be yours by choice.”

“What about you Ray?”

“Me don’t know. Me likes Avie but me likes Papa Captain too. The mission was to save Avie and bring him back home. Papa Captain always says the mission comes first. Me super solider. Me no fail.”

Cilve had heard enough. “It seems the decision’s been made. We can start anytime.”

“Not yet…” Avery said. “We need to get to the others. I won’t leave the captain and his men behind.”

“Don’t forget Everett.” Movi reminded.

“We’re not going to leave anyone behind. Not this time.” Clive said determinedly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Thirty-One: The Big Picture

 

 

Julian Lordon paced back and forth as his people rushed to destroy the company’s mountains of records. “How much time do we have?” When his contacts within NSA and the Pentagon had gone suddenly silent he knew it was only a matter of time before either the government or Karl made his move. He didn’t know what Labatt had offered the government but it had to been more than Julian could ever willingly match. “Damn it. I should have killed him when I had the chance.” It was an empty statement. Even now killing Karl would be fatally counterproductive. The only thing that mattered was the Awakening. Unfortunately for Julian the Labatt and Winters families were irreplaceable in bringing it about. Maybe it wouldn’t be this generation but if not them then the next or the one after would bring about the fruition of over two thousand years of planning.

“Damn you Jason… I gave you my very soul and yet you abandoned me. If you won’t end your slumber for my sake then you will awake for the sake of your family.” Julian had threatened the lives of Jason’s family before and failed to bring about his god’s return. The death of Brutus had been a mistake but had the Scion not threatened to kill him? It had been shear madness that the survivors of Ares had abandoned the technology that had brought them to Earth. If the other Guardians had followed his plan Earth would have enjoyed 6000 years of peace under the rule of a new Domus Empire.

Not only did they refuse to take part but some like the Scion Brutus actively went out of their way to prevent it. When Brutus tried to prevent the fall of the Roman Republic and the rise of the Empire he had sealed his fate. In killing him Julian was cast out from their company to be hence forth known as the Great Betrayer and Julian the Apostate.

He had thought all was lost. Then he discovered the Eye and its gateway to shattered Ares. There he had met the Persona Militia. Together they had formed a secret pact. She would provide him with lost Ares technology and the Symbionts. In return he would act as her agent on Earth, and prepare the way for the Dominus arrival.

Of course he had no intention of handing Earth to them. He only pretended to agree to Militia’s plan to get his hands on the Symbionts. Though feared by the Personas they were the most despised of Jason’s offspring. He had been certain that if he handed the Scions over to the Omegas Jason was certain to come to their rescue.

It all seemed to be going perfectly until the birth of Avery Winters. Though he was certain he was not a Scion, he appeared to possess Jason’s ability to resist the Symbionts and free those under their control. Julian would have had him killed but Avery could have proven useful keeping Karl Labatt and the other 22 members of the Double Dozen under control. Even so he didn’t want there to be more than one such anomaly.

Turning to Militia he had arranged for the disposal of Avery’s father before he could sire another son. Getting rid of Karl’s father had not been necessary to the plan but it did remove him from later interfering with Julian’s plans.

Though Avery did indeed free his friends from the control of the Symbionts his disappearance into the Maze should have removed him as a continual threat. It now seemed Julian had waited too long.

He would have to go into hiding again but not for long. He still had a limitless supply of Symbionts to unleash on humanity. He was certain if he killed enough of them Jason would awaken. That’s all that matter to Julian. What greater goal could the High Priest have than bring about the return of his god?

A phone rang. One of his senior acolytes answered the call. It was over quickly. “Sir… They’re making their move.”

“Here?”

“No… the Alaska facility.”

Julian let out a sigh of relief. Big Rock was a lot easier to defend than Lordon Corporation’s world headquarters in D.C. The facility would fall eventually but should keep Labatt and his people occupied long enough for Julian to fully move his operations to the fallback base in Siberia. “Is the chopper ready?”

“It’s on the roof and ready to go,” the Acolyte replied.

“Good. Inform Ark control to send the messenger probe. Once it’s through the vault is to be sealed. The rest of you finish up here as fast as you can. If it appears the government will make a move on HQ you know what to do.”

“We will gladly give our lives to speed the arrival of the Awakening,” several of Julian’s followers said.

“As you should.” NSA might have betrayed him but Julian did not doubt his followers would commit suicide before endangering the Awakening. “Can’t you see how much your people adore you my beloved Jason?”

 

 

 

Unlike his first attempt to gain control of Big Rock, Karl didn’t expect any last minute surprises. When he made his intentions to crush Lordon clear NSA offered him every bit of intelligence they had: a complete list of the weapon systems the government had sold to Lordon down to the very last bullet, schematic and blueprints of the surface level infrastructure, unlimited access to government satellite surveillance, and most importantly command of the government agents still working inside the facility… his fifth column.

What was left the town fell without a fight. The forest and hills might have been littered with automated gun placements and mines but thanks to the government his people knew the location of every one. Taking control of the actual facility was always going to be the hardest part, but with blue prints of the bases’ ventilation system and Dr. Anthony’s Symbiont stun gas his people had an insurmountable advantage.

Standing orders were to take as many prisoners as possible. He would need the expertise of the Lordon researchers if he was going to use the Eye to rescue Avery.

Not willing to wait at the command base in Anchorage, Karl had an Osprey fly him directly to the complex’s landing pad. The first thing he noticed upon landing was how limited the damage to the complex was. That was partly due to his orders limiting the use of lethal means. Another factor was that regardless of what Lordon had tried to do to the Dozens they had not lost their ability to act as one.

Seeing one of the Dozens giving orders Karl waved the man to him. “Well Trey what do you have to report?”

“We have control of most of the facility.”

“And the Eye?”

“Haven’t found it. We believe it’s locked behind a vault door we haven’t gotten pass yet.”

“And prisoners?”

“Not as many as you hoped for.”

“Damn it I said not to kill them?”

“We didn’t. Most of them killed themselves. It was insane.”

“What about the eggs?”

“All gone. Lordon knew we were coming. They must have shipped them out days if not weeks earlier.”

“Damn it… has anything working out as planned.”

“We’ve captured the base… well most of it. The place is the size of a small city. It’s going to take some time to make sure none of Lordon’s men are hiding somewhere in the complex.”

“How soon can we break into this vault?”

“We’re having Fisher… I mean Labatt Industries computer specialists deal with it. According to their experts getting the access code to the vault is going to take some time but is doable.”

“How long?”

“36 to 48 hours.”

“Shit…”

“Karl… if Avery’s lasted this long a couple more days shouldn’t matter.”

“You better be right. I have this gut feeling that he is in more danger now than ever.”

 

 

 

 

Of all the things Militia was ready to deal with… getting orders from that slimy priest was not one of them. “Kill the Winters? Why Should I?” First the priest had her rid him of the fathers, men who now led the rebellion in the Domus Cluster. He had then denied her the right to kill the rebel’s brat. Now he wanted Winters dead. Clearly her erstwhile ally plans had fallen apart.

She should have known better than to ally with the priest. She in fact had known better. The irony of using the priest’s potent hatred of his god against Jason’s children had been too good to ignore. She now regretted his allying herself with the priest..

But what was she to do? Should she do as the priest ask and kill the brat? That’s what she had wanted to do in the first place. The Segundo was now leading a rebellion against the Personas. She was certain it had been triggered by the imprisonment of his lover. Not that it would do him any good when she sent the planetoid into the star. She would not hold back killing the Winters just to save the Segundo Project. She would however if only so she could use the brat as a trump card against the Ares priest. If he wanted the Winters dead so badly then the boy must represent a threat to his ambitions. Instead of killing the brat she believed keeping the Winters alive would put her in a superior bargaining position when dealing with the priest.

But why did he want the brat killed in the first place? He had over two years of normal time to have it done so why now? Two years… which given the speed the ruins of Ares was approaching Earth meant only 43 cycles had passed for Winters. Out of all those living on the shattered remains of Ares only the Personas knew how fast they were moving towards Earth. At 1/10th light speed time flowed much slower when compared to normal time. That brought up an interesting idea. She would love to see how the brat would react when he returns to his homeworld to find everyone he once knew had died waiting for his return. Who knows? After two years normal time, they could have assumed he died and moved on with their lives. The priest might make that same assumption. That would be a sight to behold for the priest to find out years later that the Winters was still alive. That the Winters would give her the perfect tool to bring the Segundo to heel was an added bonus.”

Avery would never know it but his life had just been saved, not out of kindness or mercy but because of the malevolent nature common among all the Dominus.

“Cybernoid Squad 127-ZX you are to go to the detention level and take custody of the Scions and Segundo’s mate. They are to be escorted to the cargo hold of my shuttle and restrained. Except for the Segundo anyone who interferes with my orders is to be eliminated.”

“As you command Persona.” Persona wished all forms of primitive life such as human beings be as quick to obey her commands.? Not for the first time she wondered if it would be best to rid themselves of their living slaves and replace the entire population with robotic servants. As before Militia quickly abandoned the idea. Cybernoids did have their advantages but their lack of such emotions as fear, rage, and despair left them poor entertainment. Finding new ways of triggering such reactions was always a fun challenge. As immortals death through boredom was the more pernicious killer of her kind than old age.

With the hatching of the eggs so close at hand she had just enough time to deal with her sisters before escaping. While killing humans was enjoyable. It did not compare to the pleasure Militia would gain from watching her sisters die one by one.

 

 

 

Persona 14, Humana, speaker for the wellbeing of humanity knew she was despised by the others but she did not care what they thought of her. Even if they wanted to dispose of her, and there were those who very much did want to eliminate her, her role was vital to the continual function of the Ark. For while she carried the title of Persona she was in no way like her so called sisters for in truth she was not like any form of life.

The Arks had not been built by the Dominus or originally under their control. They had been built by their technological rivals the Togo. Where the Personas were masters of the biological sciences the Togo had focused their efforts on developing highly advance computers and cybernetics. Persona 14 was the final product of their research…a completely autonomous sentient AI. The Togo had given her one directive… to protect sentient life at all costs.

Unfortunately when the Dominus had threaten to unleash their cache of genocidal biological weapons on those living in the Ark it was that single directive which had forced her to surrender control of the Cybernoids and the Ark itself to the terror of Dominus control.

It was a fragile peace. She could not regain control of the Ark without risking the lives of the inhabitants and the Dominus could not rid themselves of Humana least she turn the Cybernoids on them. With the threat of the Symbionts endangering the lives of Dominus and humans alike, the crisis had triggered an opportunity within the bounds of her prime directive, to rid the Tosian Ark of the Dominus scourge once and for all.

So after Militia had ordered her Cybernoids to bring the prisoners to her ship, Humana silently tweaked the Personas commands toward the more literal side. The change was so small that discovering the slight change would be impossible. The end result however would be devastating, not for mankind, but their Dominus masters.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Thirty-Two: Revolt

 

 

While Lanyon had little trouble breaking into the prison, for all five men, four Watcher and the wolf pup escaping was proving problematic. First there was the size of their group. Second the main reason Lanyon had gotten through was not due to any skills at stealth but to the fact he was a Bionoid and therefore could go where he pleased. Avery, Clive , Sven and Jack where clearly not Bionoids. After all how many Bionoids possessed the angelic wings Clive and Sven both possessed.

If it were not for the bravery of the Watchers they wouldn’t have made it past the first Cybernoid patrols. But with all four firing off a storm of energy bolts at any solider bot they came across they were able to make some progress, just not very much.

After coming to another dead end Lanyon lost his patience. “Fuck it. Another blast door! This is the seventh one so far.”

Avery did he beast to calm his friend. “We’ve got past those. We’ll get past this one as well.”

“But while Movi tries to bypass the security lock we’re sitting ducks.”

“Don’t worry Uncle Lan… Ray will protect you.”

Lanyon cursed. “Thanks but I would feel a lot better if I had my gun on me. Damn Cybernoids… that’s the only thing I wish they hadn’t taken.”

“Oh really?” Sven couldn’t hold back a snort. “I would think losing your life would come first.”

“Sorry… stupid thing to say. If you want smarts go to Avery. If you want a nerd beaten up come see me. I’m just a dumb jock.”

Avery shook his head. “You’ve never beaten anyone up.”

“I’ve threatened to which worked just as well. Anyway you’re ruining my rep.”

“What’s a nerd? Lanyon’s Watcher asked.

“A real smart wimp.”

If Lanyon was upset about the dead ends Movi was furious that Lan was still calling his Watcher ‘Kid’. “Will you please give him a name already? A Watcher without a name is just… wrong.”

“But I do have a name Mr. Movi… I’m Kid, right Mr. Lan?”

“That’s right Kid.”

“That’s just as stupid as Puppy.” Sven groaned.

Jack wasn’t going to have any of that. He slammed his heel on his cousin’s toes.

“Ouch… why did you do that for?”

“No one calls Puppy stupid.”

“I didn’t say he was stupid. I said his name is. Since you named him that makes you the stupidest of them all. ” Jack jabbed his cousin in the ribs. “Stop it!”

“You stop it!”

“No you stop it.”

“No you…”

“I told you to stop first.”

And on and on it went. By the time the blast door drop the adults were ready to strangle the cousins.

“And you all wonder why all these dead ends are pissing me off.” Lanyon was losing patience with the cousins.

“Why do they upset you?” Jack asked,

Avery could see murder in Lan’s eyes. “Don’t answer that!”

“Why not?” I want to…” Sven covered Jacks mouth before he could say more.

On reaching the exit everyone let out a sigh of relief. Once outside it was but a short walk to the station and a twenty minute ride on the tube and they’ll be at the Segundo Palace where hopefully they could join up with Everett.

What waited for them past the doors however was far worse than what they had faced inside. They found themselves walking into a massive firefight between dozens of Cybernoids. Helpless Bionoids were running aimlessly looking for places to hide that didn’t exist.

Puggles withdrew to the back. “Uhmmm me thinks we need more Watchers.”

Clive agreed with Pugs assessment. “We need an entire swarm of Watchers to get past that.”

“What the hell has gotten into them? Are the Personas now fighting against each other?”

“Look there’s a Persona right there.” Persona 14 passed through the waves of gunfire as if she didn’t have a care in the world. “Well hello gentlemen. May I be of assistance?”

“You can start by telling us what the hell is going on,” Lanyon barked.

Movi was shock by his tone of voice. “Lan you’re talking to a Persona… for your own sake show some respect.”

“Be at ease Watcher. Given the situation his poor manners are forgivable.”

“Not from a Bionoid it isn’t.” Movi insisted.

“Tell me if I’m wrong but isn’t that a Watcher hanging over his shoulder?” Humana asked.

“I don’t see how that has anything to do with his behavior,” Movi replied.

“But it does. It proves he is no longer a mere Bionoid. Isn’t that correct Avery Winters?”

“He is more his old self than he was before gaining a Watcher,” Avery agreed.

“Good. I wish what the Personas did to your friend had never happened. Treasure what parts of him left and never let them go.”

“I don’t need him to serve me. I just want him to be happy,” Avery replied.

“A Prime directive so similar to my own.”

“Prime directive? I know you are not like the other Personas but right now you sound like a…”

“Cybernoid… that’s because I am.”

“What? Do the other Personas know this?” Movi asked.

“Of course. It is the main reason why they despise me. The very idea that they have to treat a machine built by their enemies as an equal infuriates them.”

“Then why do they allow it?”

“So situations like this don’t happen.” Humana looked towards the fighting.

“You caused this?”

“In a manner of speaking. All I did was make an itsy bitsy change to their logic algorithms.”

“What sort of change?”

“For example… let’s say a Persona orders her Cybernoids to do a particular task. Cybernoids are programed to obey the commands of the Personas. All I did was tweak their directives so that they will do whatever it takes to follow those orders:

Clive was confused. “I don’t see how that would result into them fighting each other.”

“But you do, don’t you Avery Winters?” Humana replied.

All eyes looked in Avery’s direction and saw him smiling. “It’s so simple its genius. Think about it. The androids are now programed to do whatever it takes to follow their orders. So what do they do if a Bionoid or say another Cybernoid gets in their way… say cross their path. According to their new programing they’ll…”

Clive burst into uncontrollable laughter “If anything gets in their way they’ll do whatever it takes to get rid of it including destroy each other. You’re right Ave. It’s pure genius.”

Lanyon ruffled Avery’s hair. “I told you Ave has a head on his shoulders. However I still don’t see how this helps us.”

“With the Personas guards too busy fighting each other they won’t be able to stop your people from escaping in the shuttles,” Humana explained.

“You’re people?”

“Yes, my prime directive is to see to the safely and wellbeing of all sentient life. Though most of you weren’t born here my programing doesn’t lessen the efforts I will take to keep you all alive.”

“Well lead the way. You know what you’re doing better than we do.”

“My pleasure. Follow me and stay close. They will not fire near me. Their directive requiring the Cybernoids not put a Persona at risk take precedence over all others.

“We’ll stick to you like glue.” Avery promised.

 

 

When word reached Trey that the vault had been access he quickly reported the news to his boss. “Karl we’ve broken through.”

“It’s about time. If it took much longer I would have tried punching my way through regardless of what little good that would have done. Did you fine the Eye?”

We think so. It’s a real mess in there. It’s going to take some time before we know what we have.”

“I’m sick of waiting.” Karl moved for the door but Trey blocked him. “You’ll get out of my way if you know what’s good for you.”

“You really don’t want see what’s in there. It will be better if you give us a chance to clean things up.”

“After what I’ve witnessed these past thirteen months I think I can handle a little dirt.”

Trey knew better than to fight a losing argument. “Fine… have it your way. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

Before he could see into the vault he smelled the stench coming from its direction. He was glad he hadn’t eaten anything since the assault. The smell was just that bad. What he saw inside was a hundred magnitude times worse. “What the hell happened?” It was as if a dozen men were dropped into a giant blender set for puree.

“We don’t know for sure,” Trey began to explain. “Our best guess is they tried to destroy the Eye with explosives. The confined space would have magnified the force of the explosion to cause this.”

“Damn…you did warn me but this is something I needed to see for myself,” Karl said.

“Why? I don’t know about you but I don’t think I’ll ever get over this,” Trey replied.

“That is why I had to. If we ever consider surrendering to Lordon we will remember this day and what they are willing to do to their own people. It’s a fight to the death.”

“Don’t worry sir… we’ll get this place cleaned up in no time.”

“Never mind the mess. Getting the Eye working comes first.”

“We might be able to get it up running faster without the mess.” As if on cue a bloody scalp fell on his shoes.

Both shuddered. “This is the second time you’ve proved right. Just don’t make a habit of it.”

“Karl… Dr. Anthony has arrived.”

“Down here? I thought I left orders that the lower levels were to be closed off.”

“He… well… you will have to see it for yourself.”

“I can tell I’m not going to like what the doctor has been up to.”

“Most likely not.”

Compared to the Eye Chamber, Dr. Anthony’s companion was not as gruesome but just as frightening. Standing next to him was a monstrosity of epic proportions. Encased in black living armor newly emerged seven and a half foot tall Tom towered over even Karl. His jaw was filled with needle sharp teeth. Each finger and toe ended with a thick talon. In fact, except for his still human head he looked the splitting image of the creatures from the old horror movie Aliens.

“Tom is that you?” Karl hoped the question would not be taken the wrong way.

“K-arl…I re-mem-ber you.” Gone was the smug intellectual confidence that had been so much a part of his character.

“And I remember you old buddy. “ Just not like this. Do you remember what happened to you?”

“I… I re-mem-ber. I re-mem-ber Ave. We must find him K-arl.”

“So you sense it to.”

Dr. Anthony nodded. “Aye he senses it. Came bursting out of his cocoon and started attacking anything within his reach. If I had not promised to bring him he would still rampaging through my lab. All that equipment and data lost. It will take years to recover.” Dr. Anthony seemed to be more concerned with his research than he was with the lives lost.

Karl needed to talk with Tom but not with the scientist listening to their every word. “You look distraught. You should go back to Antarctica and get things cleaned up.”

‘Not in your life. Now that I control the Ark, I mean we control it. I do not plan to leave until I understand every facet of its technology. I must examine the Eye at once.”

“I have my best people working on it as we speak. Anyhow it will take years for us to master all the Ark’s technology. What is waiting a few days to the grand scheme of things?”

The Scientist thought about it for a minute before replying. ‘True… we must not lose sight of our ultimate goal. Very well I will hold back for now. Make sure your ‘experts’ recorded every bit of data for my analysis.” Mike clearly didn’t think much of Karl’s so called Eye experts.

When he was gone Karl let out a sigh of relief. “Finally, I would have strangled him if he had kept at it much longer.”

Tom nodded in agreement. “I do not like him eith-er but he is no fo-ol.”

“I’ll take your word for it. What do we do now?”

“We op-en Eye and sa-ve Ave.”

“And you?”

“I… I go to Ma-ze.”

“We both will go.”

“No Ka-rl I go. You st-ay. I go to Ma-ze to die. You will st-ay here and live.”

“No, I won’t stand for it. If it is so dangerous we should both stay. I have plenty of men I could send.”

“You send, they die. Ave die. You stay, I go, You, Ave live.”

“You can’t expect Ave and me to let you throw your life away,” Karl insisted.

“No throw life away. Die for Ave. Die for you. Die for me. I… I not hu-man. I not want to live as a mon-ster. If I do not die I will still not come back. Ma-ze is where I be-long. Pl-ease Ka-rl. Do not st-op me. Do not wa-nt to hu-rt Ka-rl. Mu-st be this way.”

“Ave will never forgive us for this.”

“Ave is str-ong. You kn-ow that. He sa-ved you. We sa-ve him. One da-y he sa-ve me.”

“And our dads?”

“If find will br-ing back but not –import-ant. Ave im-port-ant. Now take to Eye. Ave in dan-ger. We all in dan-ger.”

Karl could not disagree with Tom on that. He sensed Avery is in greater danger than ever before. “Follow me.”

 

 

Thanks to Humana Avery and the others reached the Segundo Palace with little resistance. If they expected a warm welcome they could not be more disappointed. The complex looked as if it had been hit by heavy artillery.

“Why all the smoke?” Jack, his face half covered by his tattered robes could barely breathe the toxic air. Regardless of its cavernous size the Ark’s air purification systems could not keep up with the fumes rising from the burning ruins. That was not the only issues

Human’s synthetic eyes went deep red. “It is Persona Viva’s doing. She has clearly abandoned her post. I am attempting to gain control of the life support systems but I’m afraid I will not be able to in time to save my Ark.”

Lanyon’s only concern was to get Avery back home in one piece. “What are we waiting for? We should head for the shuttles ASAP?”

“Not without my Master,” Movi insisted.

Ray agreed “And not without Captain Papa.”

“Didn’t you say he was captured by Walker?”

“He was but he’s here now. He must have gotten away. Papa is super solider like me.”

Clive could feel Avery’s unease. He might not be willing to say so but Ave too would not leave without the others. “Let’s not waste time. The sooner we find the others the faster we can get out of this hell hole.” Seeing Ave sigh with relief was as sweet as a kiss.

With Ray as their guide they left the ruined palace and head down towards the base of the Tosian Ark. Along the way they passed the remains of thousands of dead Bionoids and blasted Cybernoids.

Out of all of them the new born Watcher was the least prepared. “Mr. Lan me no like this place.”

“I don’t like it either Kid. You can go to your safe place.”

“Thank-y. Me do that now.” The tiny spark darted inside its master.

Lanyon let out a sigh. “Poor thing. Must be scared half to death.”

With a sweep of his wing Clive shielded Avery from seeing an especially horrific scene. “He’s not the only one.”

“We almost there-sy.” Ray promised.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter Thirty-Three: The Forging

 

 

 

Ryan also sensed the Watchers were getting nearer. “Come on little guy you’re almost there.”

The original plan had been to hold the Segundo Palace and the main residential levels until after Avery’s rescue. With fifty thousand Bionoid soldiers at Everett’s command it would have worked. But then the Dominus grew desperate. Setting lose their Cybernoid Mini-Bombers the Palace was turned into a pile of rubble.

Faced with their quick destruction they were left with no other choice Ryan and his men had followed Everett to the less spacious lower levels. While too narrow for the Personas bombers the tight quarters left them easy targets for ambush. Then THEY arrived.

With the Ark in a practical state of civil war Travis Walker and his Swarm cut their way through the Ark’s outer defenses like a knife through thin silk. With the Cybernoids behind them and Spiderwolves, Mantis, grubs, Demons, and most threatening of all the demonic titian Walked ahead of them, Avery and the others were walking into a trap.

“I could do with a peanut butter sandwich but this is ridiculous.” Ryan grunted.

“What Captain?” Neil asked.

“Nothing… Get ready men. Reinforcements are on the way.”

“From where? Who can get to us through that mess?”

“Why the best solider we got. “

“Ray?” Will asked.

“Super Corporal Ray. Here that men Ray’s on the way!” That if not anything would lift the men’s spirits.

“From what direction will he be coming sir?” Neil handed his captain a data pad displaying a map of the Ark complex.

“Level 2, District 55, Subsection AAC-3.”

“Why that’s right above us.”

Ryan looked up at the network of pipes. “Directly above us. Everyone, step back.”

They moved just in the nick of time.

A five foot section of a 4 yard diameter air vent fell feet from where they had been standing. “Captain Papa!” The first out was Ray. Like a purple comet it charged towards Ryan and did a double loop. “I found Avie just like you asked. Aren’t ya proud of me?”

Before the Captain could response Avery made his appearance. At least Ryan assumed he was Avery. He looked like Avery. When their eyes locked he knew he had to be. “Avery Winters?”

“Yeah… My friends all call me Ave… You’re Super Captain Ryan Gains I take it?”

“Yeah… I guess I am.” Both men were lost for words.”

Reaching out Ave brushed his fingers down the groove of Ryan’s spine and felt the Symbiont bonded there. It quivered at his touch. “I’m sorry. Karl had no right doing that to you.”

“I don’t mind… It has never control me. You on the other hand have such a tight hold on me that I followed you to this hell.”

“Once again I’m sorry.”

“No as sorry as we all are going to be if we don’t get the hell out of here.” Sven shouted.

Ryan looked at the winged youth then Avery then back at the kid. “It seems you’ve collected a few new friends.”

“We even share a few.” Avery replied.

“Is Avie talking about me! Me love both Uncle Avie and Papa Captain. Does Avie love Captain and me too?”

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves Ray. We’ve just met.” Ryan said with a smile.

“Okeydokey.” Ray moved on to the Niles. “Miss me Uncle Nelly?”

“Nelly? Is that any way to greet your uncle you rapscallion?”

While the other soldiers focused their attention on their favorite nephew Ryan took Avery aside. “I’m glad you found us but now what? Unless you have a plan we won’t be able to get out of here as easily as we got in. There’re thousands of these Nanos here.”

“What about Everett?” Avery dreaded asking but knew he had to.

“Fighting the Demons on Level One. Getting him and his men to pull back would be suicide.”

Avery looked towards Movi’s flickering glow. “But we can’t leave without them.”

“We have too. With your Persona friend you and my men can deal with the Cybernoids. I doubt Humana can deal with Walker in the same fashion.

“He is right Avery Winters. My prime directive is to protect the Ark and its people. In normal circumstances I would purge Level One before the demonic host can spread to other sectors.

Avery was about to tell the red watcher they would have to leave him behind but Movi would have none of that. “No… you promised not to leave him.”

“Do you think I want to?”

“As a matter of fact I do. How about you Pugs; are you going to abandon Talon to the demons?”

“Puggles doesn’t want to but Puggles swore to save Avie. If Avie stays then Puggles stays. But Puggles hopes Avie doesn’t stay too long. Puggles… Puggles… Puggles…

“Do you know what you’re asking Movi?” Avery asked.

“Aye, Ave, I do. You will demand my master abandon his men. If that means promising him he has a future with you… Will you have a future with him?”

“You’re asking me to lie.”

“Is the Ark not a lie? Are the Bionoids, Cybernoids, and even the Personas any more honest? My Master is no son of the Blue Star? Only you still cling to what you claim to be honest. One cannot survive in a universe of falsehood with such virtues.”

“I will not lie to him.”

“Then tell him the truth. Tell him he you never loved him, that you never wanted to be with him. That the only reason you went through the ceremony was to save the lives of your companions.”

“The ceremony was never completed. I was never meant to be his.”

“Then whom? Who do you see as being worthy of the virtuous Avery Winters?”

“I am worthy of no one.”

“Then why not my Master! Does he not see you as being worthy of him?”

“I will save him Movi but I will not lie. I will not use his love for me against him.”

“NOT GOOD ENOUGH!” Like a star gone nova Movi exploded into a ball of energy and crimson light. Filled with the power of his rage he charged at Avery. If Avery would not love his Master than Movi would see that he never have the chance to love anyone else.

Puggles wasn’t going to stand for it. No matter how many times he had let Movi bully him he was going to fight Movi with all his might. Ramming into the red Watcher at the speed of sound, the concussion wave knocked all but Avery back. Shielding him were Ray and Kid.

The two Watcher fought with each other. Where their light touched each other sparks shot like the crossing of positive and negative electrodes.

“Puggles won’t let Movi hurt Avie.” Pugs pushed Movi back a few feet

“You think you can defeat me light blub?” Movi screamed. The Watcher pushed back but to his own surprise he did not gain back as much grand as he had lost.

“Puggles no light blub. Puggles is Watcher. Puggles is Avery’s Watcher. Puggles will win!” Pugs growing aura pushed Movi further back.

 

 

“NO! I am Movi. I am the Segundo’s Watcher. Segundo stronger. Segundo better. Segundo will kill your Master just as I will kill you!” Movi’s energy multiplied tenfold and nearly consuming Pugs in its blood red light.

“Super Ray will save the day!” Just in the nick of time Ray joined his power with Pugs. Kid soon added his as well.

Even so the three of them could not compare to the might of the Segundo’s Watcher. The red light enveloped them. With the pressure of the core of a miniature star, Movi set about crushing the Watchers.

Avery watched in horror as the space taken up by the three watchers grew smaller and smaller. When nothing but a sand grain speck remained it happened. Movi swelled to an immense size, quickly enveloping Avery and the others. Ripped off his feet Avery felt Movi’s crushing force pull him toward his center.

Inside the Watcher Avery could not shield his mind from the insane Watcher’s sinister laughter. “Now Avery Winters you die?”

“No you don’t light bulb.” Three voices of the other Watcher said as one. A gold ray of light shot from the heart of Movi and hit Avery full in the chest. “Miss us Avie?”

“Puggles?”

“You betcha.”

“Super Ray and his super soldiers can defeat Movi but we need your help to do it.”

“You don’t have to ask.”

“But we do Avie.” This time the voice was Kid’s. What we do will do together will change everything.”

“We…. Me too?”

All three laughed “Onesy-Twosy-Threesy, Avie be our number Foursy.”

“If you put it that way I guess I have no choice but to.”

“YAY!”

The celebration was short lived. “You fools think you can defeat Movi. Movi will show Winters no mercy. Movi will break him. Winters will love Master or I will kill him.”

“No he won’t.” All three shouted

Sadly Avery had to agree. “No I won’t.” With that simple act of defiance he set his life and those of the three Watchers against Movi and his Master. One way or another someone was going to die.

Avery was now within Movi’s crushing core. At its very center were three stones… all that was left of Puggles, Ray, and Kid.

“Join us Avie. Be one of us. Join us. Save us.”

Time stopped. Avery didn’t understand yet did. If he were to take the stone then he and the red, blue and purple Watcher would transform into the Eye. He would become part Watcher and they part human. Would he lose himself to the joining? Would they?

The pressure inside Movi was unbearable. Crush by the intense force his body collapsed in on itself until all that was left was a white core.

This was the moment the three were waiting for. The three stone fused to Avery’s core forming a triangular pyramid. The colors of all four stones mixed, swirled, and brighten. Turning gold like the sun it pushed the blood red light back.

Now it was Movi who screamed. One moment ahe had been crushing his foes. Now they were pulling him apart. “No. Stop it. Please… I didn’t mean it. Stop. I don’t want to die. I don’t wanna...”

Ave and the other felt the Watcher’s terror. “Then join us.”

“And betray my Master?”

“You already did you big fat meanie.” Pugs replied.

“How have I betrayed him? I only wish to serve him.”

“By trying to force Ave to love him?”

“It’s what he wants.”

“He wants true love… not that of a Bionoid machine, not the kind that is programed or forced. By demanding he love him, you have destroyed any chance that will ever happen.”

With his core broken Movi could not stop what was left of him being drawn into the golden pyramid. From these vapors a new body began to form around the new core. “I don’t wanna die. I don’t wanna… I don’t…. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaant to…!”

“We live…” The new Avery whispered. Gone was his dark curly hair and pale skin. His hair was now spikey red while his skin was a smooth dark tan.

Lanyon recovered just in time to catch Avery as he fell. “Dang Ave… what was that all about.”

“I… I… Where am I? What is this place? Who are you?”

“What? You don’t remember? Ave… it’s me?”

“I… I…”

“Persona rested one of her pincer hands on Lanyon shoulder. “Whatever happened it is probably for the best he doesn’t remember. Come… unless you wish to go after the Segundo I suggest we leave at once.”

He turned to Clive . “Should we?”

“No. The Dominus only want the Segundo. They could care less about us.”

“So if we were to take him with us?”

“It will make it that much harder for us to escape. There’s also the Walker to consider. It would not be wise to let him get any closer to getting his hands on Ave.”

Jack couldn’t agree more. “Yeah… Uncle Ave comes first!”

“Lead the way Persona Humana.”

“Please call me CEMS.”

“CEMS?”

“Central Environmental Management System. The designation Humana was given to us by the Dominus Personas. We’ve never cared for that title.”

“I don’t know if CEMS is much of an improvement but it’ll have to do. Lead the way.” Ryan and his men picked up their gear and followed CEMS back to the upper levels.

 

 

Everett felt the death of his Watcher like a stab to his heart. “Movi... What have you done?” Even so, the loss of Movi did not compare to the Watcher’s killing Avery.

“Sir…”

“Yes Bionoid?”

“The Maze creatures have broken through our forward lines. Should we reinforce?”

“No, we’ll be pulling back to the main shaft. Before we can we’ll need to wreak the minor shafts. We wouldn’t want them to get ahead of us. Send out demolition teams 5 through 11. They’ll take out shafts in the remaining sectors. Our men will pull back when they’re done. That will take about a 10th of a cycle? Do you think our lines can hold out for that long?”

“We’ll need an additional three brigades but we should be able to,” the Bionoid replied.

“Pull them from the upper levels.”

“Won’t that expose our rear to attack from the Cybernoids.”

“You let me worry about the Personas. You got your orders… Dismissed.”

“Yes Lord Segundo.”

When the attaché was gone Everett summoned his personal guard. “It seems our former allies have abandoned us.”

“Those off-worlders? Where do they think they can go?”

“They haven’t sided with the Personas have they?”

“Those traitors?”

Everett found it hard to believe himself. “They think they can escape by stealing the Personas’ space flyers.”

“Then we should too.”

“Clearly there’s not enough space for even a fraction of our people. There’s another issue but it’s personal in nature.”

“You mean the Winters?”

“Aye him.” Everett was certain Avery couldn’t be dead. . But if he wasn’t why couldn’t he feel him through the bond. He had to catch up with Captain Gains and his men.

“Are you alright Segundo? You look pale.”

“Avery has fallen into bad company.”

“So it’s to be a rescue mission.”

“Yes. We’re rescuing Ave and then take as many of our people with us on the shuttles.”

“We’ll be leaving most of our people behind sir.” One of the Bionoid military officers warned.

“You think I don’t know that?” Everett shouted angrily.

“I think what the Segundo is trying to say that we should consider ourselves lucky if any of us survive. Right sir?” Another nearby Bionoid said.

“Yes… the best of us must survive.” The Segundo wasn’t going to tell his soldiers how he truly felt; “So long as I escape with Avery the rest could burn in hell.”

 

 

 

 

Chapter Thirty-Four: The Secert of the Watchers

 

 

 

Travis itched to join the battle but his time had not come. Only when the one known as Avery Winters was within reach would he unleash his true fury.

“Lord Master I have brought a prisoner for you.”

“Is it the Winters?”

“See for yourself master.” Two guards dragged their tiny prisoner to the demon. “Does he not have the scent of a Winters about him?”

Travis looked down at the cowering youth. He did have the scent but the fear in his eyes proved his inferiority. “So you have come back to me.” He ran a dark claw down Talon’s pale cheek.

“Please don’t eat me!”

“Eat you? Did you hear that men? The Bionoid thinks I’m going to eat him.” Everyone but Talon roared. Travis then noticed something was amiss. “Where’s your Watcher Bionoid.”

“My Watcher?” Talon’s fear was replaced by the tears of loss. “Puggles left me. Pugs said we would be together forever but he left me just like Papa.”

“Where did he go?”

“To Ave… Pugs said he would rather be with a real person than a fake like me. Does that mean I’m a monster?”

“Of course not.” Travis melted back to his human form. “You’re just as real as this Avery Winters.”

Talon was flabbergasted. The Demon Walker was not a demon but his secret bond mate. “You… is it really you?”

“Aye… Been quite a while since I paid you a visit. Now about Avery…”

“I hate him… “

“Hey… you shouldn’t say that about your family.”

“But I’m not family… not really. Everything was going fine until HE showed up.”

“Well… I could help you with that.”

“Would you… could you?”

“That depends?”

“On what… I’d do anything just to be rid of him. I’ll even become a Spiderwolf.”

Travis shook his head. “I won’t kill him.”

“Why not?”

“Hey I’m the demon, not you. I won’t kill Avery for the same reason I bonded myself to you. Every drop of Winters’ blood is precious.” To stress his point Travis pressed against Talon’s thin frame.

Talon was no fool. “You don’t want me. You just want to have Ave for yourself.”

“True. Think of it this way. Won’t things go back to the way they used to be with Ave gone?”

“Not if I lose you to him. He’s taken everything from me… Puggles, the Segundo, and now you.”

“You won’t lose me…” Travis could feel the old hunger return. He had gone too long between feedings. “Want me to prove it to you.” He licked his lips.

“Yes…” Talon knew that look. Knowing what was to come he shut his eyes tight and tilted his neck to one side.

Travis bit into the white flesh and drank the rich blood. When he had his fill he fed back a bit of his blood back to him. It was not a real bond… not the sort Travis once had with Harry but it would do for now.

Talon was mistaken. Travis didn’t want Avery for his bond. He knew all too well Avery would never accept him. The Segundo on the other hand… The Winters might not fully accept him now but in time they could be one big happy family. First Travis would need to get his hands on his clone. Then, well, he would have to decide if the Bionoid was worthy of the gift he would bestow on him.

 

 

With half the monstrosities of the Maze occupied with fighting the Personas, rescuing Tobias had been a piece of cake. What would happen afterwards would not be as easy. If and when Travis returned he would know Lance had betrayed him.

As Lance and Ryan had agreed Lance had camped his people at the Tower’s base. Given its medieval design it must have dated before the planet’s destruction. How it had survived the shattering of Ares was a mystery. Could it have been the original Ark?

As he had for the last six cycles he found himself pacing around the Tower’s grand seal. Etched into the base of the tower were three circling rings one a plain of polished silver. The outer ring was a gold sunburst 58 feet in diameter. It was 8 inches thick with radiating ray alternating between 3 and 5 feet. The middle ring was 29 feet of diameter and consisted of a mosaic made of of crush blue sapphires 6 inches thick. The last was a hemisphere Green orb. As far as he could tell the sphere consisted of a single solid emerald eighteen feet in diameter. As with any natural emerald the gem was riddled with cracks. There was more. Lance was not certain but he thought he could see movement within the gem.

“I knew I would find you here.” It was Tobias. He had just entered the chamber from the library.

“You did. I keep telling people you’re a genius.”

“It wasn’t that hard to figure out. You pretty much have camped out here.”

“I don’t know. There’s something about this room… something unnatural.”

“Yeah I sense it too. All the more reason for us to stay out.”

“You can go or stay but I’m going to figure this one out.” Lance began climbing the orb.

“Have you lost your mind? Get down!”

“Hey… there’s a grove in here…sort of an upside down pyramid. Must need some sort of key.”

“Well we ain’t got it so get down.”

“Just wait a minute.”

“How about 5 sec…” There was a flash of blinding Green light. When Tobias could see again, Lance was gone. “Alright you silly monkey, where are you hiding.” In his demonic form Lance could fly, hang from the roof like a bat, and scale walls like a spider. It therefore took quite a bit of searching before Tobias turned his attention on the emerald sphere. “No you didn’t.” He raced to the center of the chamber but took care to stay three feet from the orb. “No you didn’t. Lance if I ever get my hands on you I swear you’ll live to regret it.”

He peered into the giant gem. He could not be sure but he thought he saw his lover swirling in among the flowing light. He looked up at where Lance had disappeared. “Damn it. If I thought I could live without you I would leave you there.”

Carefully he climbed up the sides of the gem. Unlike his lover climbing up the polished stone took a lot more effort. After sliding off over a half dozen times he reached the summit. It was as Lance had said, there was a triangular hole at the very top. The groove was lined with gold and diamonds. At the very bottom was a starburst cut topaz. “I wonder why that’s there.” Foolishly Tobias touched the brown gem. There was a flash of light followed by darkness

When he came to he found himself in a Green mist filled pyramid shaped chamber. In the center there was a dais and on that dais was a five foot high pillar. Seated on that pillar was a young man with wavy emerald Green hair and skin the color of light caramel. Wrapped around him were the brown wings of a hawk. “Who the hell are you?”

“Shouldn’t I be the one asking the questions? This is my home you’ve invaded.

“Home? This place looks more like a tomb.”

“No… not a tomb. A prison.”

“Prison… you mean we’re trapped down here?”

“You are but I’m not. Think of me as the warden.”

“If you’re the jailer then how about letting me go?”

“Why should I?”

“Why should you? I want to get the hell out of here that’s why.”

“I don’t know. Compared to where you came from this places isn’t all that bad. Speaking of which… what in all of Ares is going on out there?”

“First tell me what you did with Lance?”

“You mean the Spawn? I sent him on his way.”

“On his way? Where the hell did you send him?”

“To people better equipped than I at dealing with his kind. Now answer my question. What are you doing here?”

“Trying to save my friends.”

“As in the Spawn?”

“As in Lance!”

“So that’s his name. He never told me. And your name?”

“Tobias, Tobias Greene. You?”

“I am the Watcher.”

“The Watcher?”

“Aye, the Lord of Watchers. Didn’t you ever wonder where they come from?”

“From here?”

“Here.” They are my children… my gift to the true born.”

“True born? As in Avery?”

“Who’s Avery?”

“Avery Winters. He’s the son of…”

“Of Harry Winters… or I should say the Scion.”

“Scion?”

The Lord of Watchers ignored the question. “If Avery is here then that would explain what is going on with my children…”

“Excuse me but if Avery is in trouble shouldn’t we do something about it?”

“Aye, we should but that would mean I would have to leave this place.”

“You? Have you forgotten about me? I have no desire to spend the rest of my life here?”

“I can send you to your friend but you’ll be more useful to me as a guide. After all I’ve never met Harry’s son.”

“They’re practically twins… he’s best friends with Thad’s son.”

“He’s not here I hope?”

“No only Ave. I’m sure Karl is moving heaven and Earth to get to Ares.”

“We better hope he doesn’t. This is no place for the Scions.”

“There’s that word again. What do you mean by Scions?”

“Avery and Karl are both Scions… at least I think their fathers are. If the Dominus were ever to learn their true heritage… Let’s just hope that they don’t.”

“Then Ave is in more danger than I thought he was.” Tobias explained Avery’s predicament.”

“Then you better go.”

“What about you?”

“I wish I could go but I can’t. A jailer can’t leave the prisoners unwatched.”

“What are you keeping here?”

“I’ll show you but you won’t like it.” The Lord Watcher hopped from his perch. Before his feet could touch the ground the triangular walls of the pyramid lit up. Trapped inside the crystal walls were figures made of Green mist.”

“Ghosts?”

“No. Not a ghost but living weapons of my own creation.” He went over to one of the walls. “If one of them were to escape it could destroy every living thing in the Maze. That’s why I can’t leave. So long as I remain they cannot escape their prison. That, and my being here allows me to create things like these.” He reached into the hard crystal in the wispy Green mist. What he pulled out was a newly born Watcher.

“Weee! I’m free. Thank you papa!”

“You’re more than welcome. Now your Papa wants you to go take care of people out to get your cousins.”

“You mean the meanies?”

“Yes meanies.”

“You want me to beat them up Papa?”

“I don’t know about that but you better believe I want you to teach them a lesson they won’t forget.”

“I’ll get those meanies!”

“It’s a pretty big job. Do you think you can handle it?”

“I don’t know… the big ones scare me.”

“Sometimes they scare me too. I know how about I leave your Uncle Tobias behind to help you.”

“Now wait one minute. I never said anything about staying behind.”

The Lord of Watchers leaned in close. “You might think all Watchers are cute and cuddly but they’re not. The children are nice enough but if the grown ones were to escape they would tear this world apart.” His tone hinted at more than a mere threat.

“Who and what are you?”

“Not that it will mean anything to you I am Gideon, Gideon Sin. As to ‘what’ I am you can see it all around you.”

“The Watchers?”

“The ones you call the Watchers are the unborn children I damn to a cursed existence. As they watch over you I watch over them.”

“I don’t understand.”

“I… I died… and when I died I took half the world with me. The old, the young, and the unborn. Thorough the mercy of a child I came to live again. I live but they remain trapped in a half life. Their hunger to live again would devour you and all living things.”

“And the Watchers? I can’t see them hungering for blood.”

“I don’t know but they’re different. It might be because they never knew what it is like to be alive. They have never known what I stole from him. What I give them is the gift of a first life… not to live out a vengeful second.”

“No wonder they’re so innocent. Not to mention cute.”

“Is Mister talking about little old me?” the Watcher asked.

“Of course ... you’re the cutest little bugger I know.”

“Even cuter than my big cousins?”

“You’ll have to find that out for yourself.” Gideon said.

“You mean I need to find Papa Avie?”

Tobias’s eyes went wide. “Avie? You know about Avery?” Both Tobias and Sin were surprised.

“Yes-y. He’s big Papa.”

“How so?”

“Because papa is papa.”

Sin saw Tobias’s concern. “Something must have happened. I’ve never heard one talk like this… not about having a papa so quickly.” He turned his attention back on the Green Watcher. “Do you know where your big cousin is?”

“You betcha. He in big scary place but I’m not scared. Me is…” The Watcher hesitated. So far he hadn’t been given a name. “Who am I?”

“Why you’re Daniel… Daniel Winters.”

“Me is Super Daniel. I’ll find Papa and…. What me to do when I find him?”

“You are to see that he makes it back home.”

“So bring him back to Papa Sin?”

“Not my home his home… the Blue Star.”

“Where is Blue Star?”

“I know the way.” Tobias said.

“Okeydokey. Lead the way Mister Toby.”

“It’s Tobias.”

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

 

 

Chapter Thirty-Five: Escape

 

 

Lanyon and the others half carried Avery back to the upper levels. Thanks to Humana they met little resistance. At least at first. When their destination became clear the other Personas began throwing platoons of Cybernoids in their path.

Avery for his part remained in an amnesic daze. He didn’t know where he was or how he got there, let alone comprehend what was going on around him. After much questioning they learned his memory only went as far back as before he entered the Maze. Puggles and the other Watchers were no better off. They had been silent since fusing.

It had been a long fight but finally reached the levels sticking out of the Maze planetoid. The white light of the neutron star shined down on the shattered remains of old Ares “Quite a sight. Don’t you think?” Clive looked over where Lanyon gaze out into space.

“Surreal. Now I’m sure we’re no longer on Earth.” Lanyon replied.

“You weren’t sure?”

“Hell… I’m still hoping this is nothing but a bad dream.”

“What is left of Ares is a living nightmare that is all too real,” Clive said.

“One I will save Ave from.” Lanyon insisted. “It might be a good thing he’s lost his memory. This way he can go back to his old life.”

“No… that will never happen. He might not remember but it will always weigh no his soul.”

“Soul?” Is there such a thing as one?” Lanyon, never a religious man, asked.

“I do not know how your people but for my kind our souls are physically manifested in our cores.” Clive placed a hand on his abdomen. There his skin glowed purple. “When I die my core will be passed down to one deemed worthy. With this he will gain all that was once good in me.

“Does that mean you’re a Watcher?”

“Yes and no... the Watchers are core born beings but not cores themselves. They do not pass on memories but gain them from those they are paired with.”

“Well Ave gots three of them in him now. I hope they’re learning something from it.”

“I do not know. I have never met a man like him. I do not know if I ever will again. He is not a child of Earth but nor is he a son of Ares. He is something else…”

“You should get him in bed.” Lanyon said.

“I will if I ever get the chance to sleep in one.” Clive promised. Both laughed. “About the Segundo… By now he knows we’re trying to escape without him.”

“Everett isn’t all that bad but I agree… Ave is better off without him. Look a shooting star.” A Green comet arched across space towards them.

“That’s no shooting star. It’s a Watcher and it’s headed right for us.”

The shield glass slowed the Green Watcher but did not stop it from passing through. “WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! That was fun. Hello Mister… do you know where my Papa is?”

“That depends. Who is he?”

“Papa is Papa silly.”

“And you are?”

“I’m Daniel… Daniel Winters.”

“Uhmmm that would be Avery. He’s right over here.”

“Okeydokey.” The Watcher darted to where Sven and Jack were keeping an eye on Avery. “ello, ello…”

“Why hello to you too.” Sven had seen many watchers but a Green one could mean only one thing. “Did Uncle Gideon send you?”

“Yes. Sin said I find Papa and take him back with me.”

Lanyon had been listening in. “Bring him where?”

“The Eye silly.”

“They Eye?”

“It is a device that can get us back to Earth.” Sven pointed to the burning white star.

“That’s the Eye? I thought…. On my world we have something called the Eye but it’s not a star.” Lanyon said.

“Then it’s not the true Eye.” Sven replied. “Watcher?”

“My name is Daniel.”

“And I’m Sven Argot and this mutt next to me is my cousin Jack.”

Jack waved to the Green Watcher. “Nice to meet ya.”

“So how do we get to this Eye?” Lanyon asked.

“I’ll take ya.”

“You look a little small to carry us all.” Jack said.

“Yes I can.” Daniel’s expanded until his light swallowed Jack and Sven and lifted off the ground. He was only able to raise hem two inches off the ground until he gave up. “Me tried but me can’t lift that much.”

Sven elbowed Jack. “Said you needed to lose some weight.”

“Hey… You weigh more than I do.”

“Do not.

“Do so.”

“Can you two cut it out?” Clive had done his best to ignore their fighting but he had reached his limit. “Daniel… if we were to get on a shuttle could your guide us to the Eye from there?”

“Me thinks me can… Me knows me can. Me will!”

“Thanks.”

“You’re welkey.”

“Welkey?” Clive asked confused.

“He means welcome.” Sven explained.

Lanyon groaned. “I don’t think I’ll ever get used to all this baby talk.”

“Me no baby you meanie.”

“Apologize.” Avery said.

Everyone jumped. “Ave?”

“Don’t me a meanie Lan. Apologize.”

“Alright… I’m sorry.”

“Very sorry?” Daniel asked.

“Very very sorry.”

“Okeydokey. Me guess you’re not a meanie.”

“Say thanky Lan.” Avery said.

Sven smirked. “Yeah Lan say thanky.”

If he was not so relieved to see Avery awake he would not have been so gracious. “Thanky Daniel.”

“You’re welky.” The Green Watcher turned his full attention on Ave. “Are you happy to see me Papa?”

“Of course I am.”

“Ave?” Lanyon and everyone else were confused by Avery’s acceptance of the Watcher.

“I want to go home.” Avery whispered.

“We’re almost there. Right Humana?”

“My Cybernoids have cleared a path to the shuttles but you must move fast. The Demon Walker will soon catch up with you. So will the Segundo.”

“Can you slow them down Humana?”

“I have attempted to but my forces are divided fighting the other Personas. Three including Militia have already escaped on the shuttles. Five have been terminated by their sisters. Two and fled into the Maze. The rest are gathering what is left of their forces to retake the port.

“Knowing our luck all of them will strike the port right when we do,” Ryan guessed.

“Which is why you must hurry.” Humana replied.

“Come on Ave… I’ll carry you.” Clive lifted Avery into his arms.

“We both will.” Lanyon replied.

“No I will,” Clive insisted.

“Don’t fight him on this Lan.” Sven warned.

“But…”

“Don’t worry. We’ll be home soon.” Avery said encouragingly.

“And then?” Daniel asked?

“And then we’ll all have pancakes.” Avery replied.

“Pancakes? What are pancakes Papa?” Daniel asked.

“You’ll just have to wait and see.”

 

Everett felt the Demon getting near well before his rear guard caught sight of him. “Stand fast men. When he comes you are to let him through.”

“My Lord?”

“You heard me. If he wanted me dead he would have killed me long ago. Given the number of times I’ve been on patrol in the Maze he’s had enough chances to.”

“This time it’s different sir,” a Bionoid captain warned.

“How so?” Everett asked.

“You both are after the same prize,” the Bionoid replied.

“You mean Avery.”

“Who else. The Walker will want him as bait to draw Harry Winters out. We cannot let that happen.”

“We can’t but nor can we stop him. Maybe we’ll be able to strike a bargain.”

“A bargain with the devil is no bargain at all.” The captain replied. “He will be no more willing to share Avery than you.”

“If he won’t comprise in good faith I will have no choice. I must kill him.”

“That will be a hard if not impossible to achieve. You are not the first to have tried.”

“And I doubt I will be the last.”

“Then you believe you can’t defeat him,” the captain asked

“There is a thin line between dealing with your enemy and defeating him. I will deal with him in my own way.”

“What are your orders then?”

“Lead the men to the shuttles. If you find Avery you are to take him into custody.”

“And you sir?”

“It is time my father and I had a little chat. Everett didn’t have to wait long. The Walker and Talon came alone. Talon… what have you gotten yourself into…”

Talon wore a cheerful grin. “Everett! There you are.” He raced to Everett and embraced him. The foolish youth was oblivious of the danger he was in.

“I’m sorry Talon… I’m so sorry.”

“Why? Walker said you would wait for me.”

“I…” It had never been Everett’s intention to save Talon.

“Don’t worry about the others. So long as we have each other everything will be fine.” Travis will deal with Ave and Pugs…”

Everett didn’t have a clue as to what his former lover was talking about. “Listen Talon…. I’m sorry what I put you through.”

“I know… but everything fine now. Walker promised…”

“I don’t care what he promised. He’s a demon… he will do anything to get his hands on Ave’s father. We can’t allow that.”

“But…”

“Talon you need to run to the shuttles and warn Ave.”

“What about? That you chose me over him?”

“Tal…” Everett looked at the snickering demon. He guessed what the Demon had promised Talon. “I can’t… I don’t love you Tal.”

“But you will.” From behind the Demon drew a tainted blade and thrust it between the plates of the Segundo’s body armor.

Everett collapsed to his knees. “Why Tal, why?”

“Because I love Travis now.”

With the Demon possessively holding on to Talon, Everett realized the truth. “It was Walker… he was the one you gave your bond to.”

“And now I offer it to you.” The demon drew the Segundo to him with his leathery tail.

“No… I won’t accept your bond.”

“But you will if you ever want to see your dear Ave again. The Demon reached into his chest and ripped out his core. “This world is doomed but I refuse to die with it. You will be my vessel on Earth.

Weakened from loss of blood Everett could not fight off the Demon. Bound by the Demon’s tail Everett was forced to drink the essence of the black core.

It would take time, months, years, possibly decades before the demon now within the Segundo subsumed the young man’s soul but in the end he would be the Walker. As for Travis… without his core he was a doomed man without a soul.

He let go of the Segundo and watched as Everett stumbled away towards the shuttles. He had expected Talon to follow but he remained by the dying Demon’s side. You will die.”

“Aye. I know but there is nothing for me on Earth that can replace what I’ve lost.”

“Then you’re a fool.”

“A fool in love.…” Whatever Talon was about to say was cut off by the striking Symbiont worm attaching to his spine.

Soon Travis was in the same state. While they had been willing to die, the Symbionts had other plans.

           

 

 

 

 

Chapter Thirty-Six: The Son

 

As he sat in the passenger seat Avery looked at the survivors… Clive , Sven, Jack, and Lanyon. Ryan and his men had gotten on a different shuttle. In the final rush to the shuttles Peppy and Humana had stayed behind to aid their escape. Except for Lanyon he had no memory of any of them. Once he must have known the others. The way they looked at him showed that while he didn’t know who they were they seemed to care about him a great deal. He just could not for the life of him remember who these people were. He was not sure he wanted to. The harder he tried the greater the terror inside him would grow. Lanyon kept on telling him not to try to remember but knowing that a large chunk of his memory had been lost was hard to bare. This was especially true given the risks the others had taken to keep him safe.

Then there was Daniel. Unlike the Watchers inside him he felt a deep connection to the lad. He was cheerful in a way none of the others could compare to. His infatuation with Ave was even stronger. “Papa?” Daniel whispered.

“Yes?” Avery looked in the direction of the Watcher. No longer was Daniel a mere sphere of light. The Watcher was taking on the form of an infant child.

“When we get home will you let me stay with you?”

“Of course.” Avery didn’t know how he would explain the creature to Karl but he would try. “Didn’t I promise to make you pancakes?”

“Are they good?”

“I like them.”

“If you like them, then I will too!”

“I’m sure you will.”

Avery looked at where Lanyon watched him. There was a sad smile and several tears on his friend’s face. “How much longer until we get back home?”

“Until we reach the Tower? Not much longer. After you open the Eye it’ll just be a hop skip and jump home.”

“Good.”

“What will you three do once you get to Earth?” Lanyon ask Clive and the cousins.

“I have some old scores to settle.” Clive said in a dark tone.

Both Jack and Sven didn’t like the sound of that. “Clive!”

“The Traitors deserve to die.”

“But it won’t solve anything. It won’t bring our uncles back.” Jack said.

“But it will make me feel a lot better.” Clive turned to Avey. “I don’t know what awaits us on Earth but will you promise to take care of these two for me.”

“Of course I will.”

“Yay…. We get to stay with Uncle Ave!” Jack jumped from his seat to Ave’s lap. “Can Puppy stay too?” He held out the fluffy wolf pup.

“I can’t imagine him not staying with us.”

“I hope you know what you’re getting yourself into Ave.” Sven warned,

“After what I’ve seen I don’t think having a pup around will be all that difficult.”

“You clearly don’t know us that well then.” Sven’s statement stung more than he intended. “Sorry Ave I didn’t mean that.”

Ave sighed but nodded. “Here’s hoping for better memories than the ones I lost.”

There was a beeping from one of the monitors. Clive turned to the controls. “Get back in your seat Jack. We got incoming.”

“Incoming? You mean more shuttles.”

“Just one… it’s hailing us.” A short while later Clive handed the comm. to Lanyon. “ I think you should take this one.”

Lanyon saw Clive’s eyes dart to Avery and understood. “I’ll take this one in the cockpit.” He didn’t speak into the comm. until the cockpit door stood between him and Ave’s listening ears. “Everett is that you?”

“Aye… At least I think I am.?”

“How can you not be you?”

“I don’t know. Everything’s in a daze. I had a run in with a Demon.”

“Are you injured?”

“Except for a knife wound and my pride I’m fine. You should know the Symbionts have taken control of the Ark.”

“About your people?”

“All gone. You and I are the only ones left. Is Ave with you?”

Lanyon looked toward where Clive was listening in. He nodded. “Yes but he’s in pretty bad shape.”

“How bad?” There was anger and fear in the question.

“Movi tried to kill him… in fact he did. I can’t explain what happened but Puggles and the other Watchers brought him back to us. Just not all the way.”

“What do you mean?”

“He’s lost his memory. He doesn’t remember you or anything that’s happened since he arrived here.”

“We got weapon’s lock!” Clive warned.

“Are you insane? You’re willing to kill Ave just to get to us.

“What’s the point letting any of you live?”

“Because you still love him.”

“He never loved me.”

“Still…”

“Is there someone else… someone waiting for him on his world?”

“Yes.”

“Good… then his pain will be as great as mine.” The comm. went dead.

“What? What are you talking about Everett?” He put down the comm. “What did he mean Clive?”

“You don’t want to know.” Clive said. He knew the laws of relativity as well as Everett did.

“God damn it. I need to know.”

“You will find out soon enough. Just… just promise me you will be there for him.”

“Damn it. Hasn’t he been through enough?”

“He has no choice but to endure more. Luckily with his memory in the state it is… it could be worse.”

“Fuck you and your secrets.” Lanyon hated being left in the dark about things that concerned everyone but there were more pressing matters that needed to be dealt with now. “Is Everett still tailing us?”

“Yes but his weapon systems are no longer targeting us,” Clive replied. He was relieved that Lanyon had changed subjects.

“Make sure he doesn’t flip them back on.”

“And what would you have me do if he does?”

“Fight back?” Seeing the man’s glare, he quickly dismissed the idea. “Never mind.”

“I don’t think he will kill Ave… not now. What he does when we get to Earth is another matter,” Clive said.

From that point on the two did their best to ignore each other. When they reached their destination they landed the shuttle on the roof of the Tower. The Segundo’s shuttle did not land but remained above them.

When they reached the great seal the Green Watcher insisted on Avery entering first. Lanyon wanted to protest but Clive and the cousins reassured him that Avery couldn’t be in better hands.

Their reunion with Tobias was not the happy event everyone hoped it to be. “I’m staying.”

Lanyon could not believe what he was hearing “Are you sure sir?”

“I came here to find Ave’s and Karl’s fathers. That has not changed. Thanks to Sin here I now know where they are.”

“Then shouldn’t we go with you?” Lan asked.

“No. You two have spent too much time here already. The sooner you get back the better.”

Lanyon looked at Clive and suspected the Angle too knew why they had to leave as soon as possible. “What’s waiting for us on Earth?”

“Many things… one of them is this.” A hologram of the Ares constellation of the shattered remains of the planet and the neutron star the fragments orbited came into focus above the tomb’s pedestal. One of the dozen planetoids flashed red.

“Is that the Tosian Ark?” Clive asked.

“Yes the Symbionts have gained control of it.”

“What are they planning?” Tobias asked. The color had drained from him.

“To launch it.” A dotted line showed the planetoid moving towards the magnastar’s northern pole. “Once it reaches the polar maximum the combination of magnetic and gravitational energy will shoot the Tosian Ark at near light speed to Earth.”

“I don’t need to understand how it works. I need to know how to stop it.”

“You can’t. By now most of the Personas on the Ark have fallen to the Symbionts. Without Humana Prime overseeing the security of the Tosian Mainframe the Symboints are in full control. Not even the Personas who escape can stop them.”

“How much time do we have until they reach Earth?” Avery asked

“Twenty to thirty years.”

Lanyon had gone pale as well. “Then we need to go back at once. We have to warn Earth.”

“And what will your people do?” Sin asked. “Are the people of the Blue Star so advanced they can stop entire planets.”

“No… but we have to do something.”

“Only the Awakening can save you now.” Sin’s eyes darted to Avery. He then waved Tobias over to him.

Lanyon did his best hear what they were saying but could not listen in. Not knowing what else to do he went over to where Avery was resting. “Hanging in there?”

“I… I don’t… I don’t remember.” Avery’s memory loss was getting worse.

“You remember me don’t you?”

“You’re… you’re Lan, right?”

“Yeah. Just hang in there. We’ll be home soon enough.”

“I…”

Lanyon could not stand watching his best friend lose everything he once was. Whether they wanted to or not he was going to get answers from Sin and Clive . “God damn it. Enough talking. I’m getting Ave home right now.”

The two looked at each other and nodded. “It’s time.” Clive agreed

Sin stepped between them and Avery. “Not until the price is paid.”

“And what the hell do you want!”

“It’s not what he wants. It’s what he wants to give Avery.” Tobias explained.

“And that is?”

“A son.”

“You mean Daniel. He’s just a light bulb.” Lanyon replied.

“Right now he is. Ave can change that,” Gideon explained.

“Ave? Are you kidding me? Hasn’t he lost enough already?”

“That is why he needs what I can offer him. Please Lanyon… Ave is no longer what he once was.”

“He will be when I get him back to Earth.”

“No he won’t. He’s not human anymore… not in a spiritual sense. I’m sorry but that’s the hard truth.”

“So what? He’s still Ave to me.”

“Yes but he is now so different from the rest of humanity he is incapable of having children of his own, not in the normal sense at least. What he is, I do not know. All I can say is that the future of your people and mind depends on the continuation of his bloodline.”

“So what are you going to do?”

“Daniel will be his son.”

“How… they’re not even related.”

“But they will be and it’s what both of them want.” Sin pointed to where the two were keeping each other company.

Lanyon knew when he was defeated. “How will this work?”

“Normally what we will be attempting would be impossible but Avery’s continual existence is just as improbably. But he is the Eye… or I should say he has the Eye.”

“What is the Eye?”

“The Watchers. For some reason they have accepted him as one of their own. His body and mind are the substance of the four Watchers that now make up his physical form. As they did for the Avery, Avery can do for Daniel. Flesh of his flesh so to speak.”

“And if I don’t let you.”

“The choice has already been made.” Gideon replied.

Lanyon jumped around and looked in Avery’s direction. He was unconscious. In his arms was a baby. “You had no right.”

“It was Ave’s decision. Would you deny him that?”

“Just get us home. I want this nightmare to end.”

“Clive if you will.” Sin pointed to the pedestal.

Clive gently handed the baby to Lanyon. “Take Daniel.” He turned to the cousins. “You two know what to do.”

Sven went to one of the three corners and knelt. Jack went to another of the corners while Lanyon was guided to third.

“When you find Harry you are to give him this.” Clive handed Tobias a lacquered box.

Opening it Tobias found a white hilt dagger. “What is it?”

“What does it look it? It’s a weapon.”

“What the hell am I supposed to do with it?”

“What is a weapon supposed to do other than kill?”

“Kill what?”

“Demons.”

Last Clive carried Avery to the pedestal and laid him atop it. He then flew to the highest point in the triangular pyramid.

The first thing Lanyon noticed was the Green mist floating in the walls turning to a solid white. It was now as if they were inside a giant pearl. At the pedestal, or was it altar, the merged orbs of the Eye floated above Avery. Slowly it rose until it was in the direct center of the chamber some thirty feet above where Avery lay.

Then, from each of the four corners, beams of pure light shot out towards the Eye. The light from that single point grew brighter and brighter, until the chamber was filled with blinding light.

Sin made a final statement. “When the end comes we will meet again but until then be well Avery Winters.”

The light grew so intense. That Lanyon could see the bones of the hand shielding his closed eyes. Then there was darkness.

Copyright © 2014 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..