Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 2,703 Words
  • 1,345 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tower of High Sun - 2. Chapter 2

Chapter Two: Lord Fredrick

Map of Evermore

http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/gallery/image/6594-earldom-of-evermore/

After a breakfast of spiced porridge, they extinguished the campfire and rode off. Heading west down a narrow path, they passed through several minor fiefs. While not much larger than his mother’s, Thaddeus noticed that the serfs had more meat on their bones. The lands were more fertile growing wheat instead of millet. There were apple orchards lined up in neat rows, squash, almond trees, flocks of sheep and even a few cows.

All this left Thaddeus with the burning question as to why the Countesses lands were so poor. He turned to Sir Levi for answers.

“She was given poor land to begin with. Still, if not due to her mismanagement, it should not have been as bad as it is.”

“I don’t understand”

“You were too young to remember but when your mother first arrived, the first thing she did was stop planting food crops in favor of tobacco. She made some coin but without food to live on, many of her serfs starved. The next season she did the same thing and the season after that. By the time you were four, what thin topsoil there had been could barely grow anything, let alone tobacco.

“Why hasn’t the same happen here?”

“The master of this fief was raised on these lands. Like his father and his fathers before him, he was taught the art of farming.”

“Art? Farming is the same as drawing or painting?

“In a manner of speaking, it is. Second, it’s not wise to use every bit of land each season. Some should be left fallow. For a farm to produce good crops every year, you also cannot grow a single crop every year.”

“I do not doubt what you say is true but I don’t understand.”

“Do you see that wheat field on the left?”

“Aye…”

“The field next to it is planted with beans while nothing is planted on the far one. Come next season beans will be planted where the wheat was, wheat in the field that was left fallow while the one that had beans would be left unplanted. Sort of like a wheel.”

“Like a wheel? Now I get it. Like a wheel spins so do the crops.”

“Yes, that’s it exactly.”

“Too bad the Countess didn’t have you taking care of her.”

“Not a thousand acres of the Emperor’s richest fields would have me marry her. She is a tainted woman… by no mistake.”

Thaddeus’ brow furrowed. “Tainted? You really should not say that about the Countess.”

“Maybe I was being overly harsh. I should have said that any man who dares marry her would gain the Emperor’s ill will.”

“But why? Did the countess do anything wrong?” Thad found that hard to believe.

“Aye, she did.”

Jack, who had been listening in joined the conversation. “What did she do?”

Knowing the boys would not understand the concept of adultery, the knight stayed silent. Luckily, the Count Prince had enough sense not to ask again.

As the sun set, they stopped at a wayside inn. With harvest time three months distant, they had the inn to themselves. The food, while plentiful, consisted of dry mutton that had been roasting for three days and some old bread baked three days ago. To cope with the dry faire, the knight sent the innkeeper out to fetch a pitcher of fresh milk for all three of them. He would have liked wine or mead but he took one look at the dusty bottles with their rotting corks and knew they would be a vinegary vintage.

They didn’t sleep in the inn itself. Sir Levi took a sniff of common bedroom. Detecting the scent of urine and stale hay, he convinced a freeman to let them sleep in his barn. There were gnats from the horses but the hay was sweet and free of lice.

For a week they traveled through similar lands. Most nights they slept under the stars regardless if there was an inn nearby.

Along the way Sir Levi taught Thaddeus his letters and numbers. He proved a quicker study than Jack, who insisted that if the stars had meant for him to read and write, he would have been born a lordling.

On the ninetieth day they reached the largest and richest fief they had come across. Knowing that the lord of these lands was expecting them, Sir Levi led them off the main road and up a hill to the manor house.

The lord of the manor, Fredrick the Baronet of Hillsdale, met them as they approached his stables. “Sir Levi… it’s good to see you again. I take it your mission was successful.”

“Not yet. My mission will not be complete until I see these two lads safely to the Tower of High Sun.”

“Ah, then you have many months ahead of you. Did I hear you correctly? You said two? I thought you were only sent for one.” The Baronet was as fat as his rich harvests. Even so, he was not the sort who took pleasure from displays of ostentatious wealth. He thought of those who did as poor company.

When he saw the state the boys were in, he could not stop from grimacing. Thaddeus and Jack took his frown as proof that they were unwelcomed. The baron saw their fear, sighed and forced a welcoming smile on his face. “Be it two or three, you are all welcomed here.”

Both boys let out a sigh of relief.

“I will have the cook prepare a feast but before that…” The lord frowned and twitched his nose. “Before that how about a bath.”

“I think we could all do with one.”

“Some more than others it seems. I will have buckets, soap, and towels brought out. We always keep a cauldron cooking just in case. He waved the knight over so he could whisper in his ear. “I hope you don’t mind if I burn those rags they’re wearing.”

“You’re more than welcome to.” Levi whispered back.

“Good, good, good. Gale, Patricia, see that they’re taken care of. I want them as clean as the day they were born.” He didn’t have to tell them what would happen if they didn’t.

Sir Levi looked dreamily as the buckets were brought out. He would have to wait however. The boys needed to be taken cared of first. They both looked at the steaming water like it was a firing squad.

“Now take off those rags. It won’t do us any good to try washing you while you’re wearing them.” The maid Gale looked ready to beat Thaddeus unconscious with the iron ladle she was shaking.

“But I can’t. Not while you’re watching.”

“And why not… I’ve raised three boys so you’ll have nothing I haven’t seen before.” Grabbing a sleeve the maid and Thaddeus began a tug of war. “Don’t be such an obstinate child.”

While they fought, Patricia was running after Jack with a steaming bucket in each hand. “Run all you want but you won’t get away!”

It was at that moment that three laughing girls stepped out from the back kitchen door. “It seems we have some wildlings sister.” The tallest, and presumably the eldest, of the three pointed at Jack.

Gale looked in the direction of the laughter and shouted at them to leave. “Mistress Lisa, Mistress Amber and Mistress Mary get back inside this instant.”

“Oh come now Gale… all we want is a little fun.”

“Not in those pretty petticoats your father spent good silver on.”

“Don’t worry… we won’t get dirty. Right sisters?” Lisa, the eldest, said.

The younger two nodded while the youngest, Mary said; “Aye sister, we won’t.”

The three moved into a triangle. Crossing their arms one over the others they held hands and began whispering the same forbidden words over and over.

As they chanted, Jack felt his feet go as heavy as lead. When he could not take another step, he fell face-forward on the lawn’s soft green grass.

It did not take Patricia long to catch up. “There gotcha! Told you there was no point running.” She celebrating by placed her foot on his back as if she had shot and killed a prized bear.

Taming Thaddeus was not as easy. No matter how much they chanted, their spells failed to pin him down. “We’ll end up with sore throats if we keep this up.” The youngest Mary replied. She was always getting dizzy from all the spinning.

“I guess we’ll have to do this the hard way.” Lisa replied. She gave them a wink and got a nod from each of them. “Ready sisters?”

“Ready.”

En mass, all three charged at the truculent boy and tackled him.

Thaddeus squirmed under them as they pulled off his clothes.

“He’s as slippery as a jellied eel.” Amber complained.

“Not for long.” Having already been removed, Lisa tore his tunic into wide strips. With them she was able to hog-tie him in under a minute. “See Gale… that’s how you handle boys.”

“Be that as it may, how am I to handle saving your pretty dresses?”

The three grimaced at the grass stains and torn lace. “I didn’t like the dress anyway.” Amber replied. To Gale’s horror she began removing it.

Lisa began undressing as well. “I never cared for pink.”

Mary, the youngest, had enough sense to run back into the house.

“Gale would you please bring us some fresh clothes.” Lisa handed the dresses to the terrified and slack-jawed maid. You can burn these with the boy’s rags.”

“While you’re at it, bring us a pair of scissors and combs. This ‘boy’ is as shaggy as a wolf.” Amber added.

“And more water as well.” Lisa shouted as the Gale hurried away.

While tied up, there was little Thaddeus could do to stop them from washing him down. They clearly were enjoying poking and tickling him while they discussed his physical inadequacies.

Then came the haircut. “Little boy, we’re going to untie you but if you don’t behave yourself, Amber might cut off parts of you that won’t grow back. Understood?” To stress her point Amber clicked her scissors inches from his eyes.

Given all the teasing about his man-bits, he knew exactly what part of him would be cut first. He offered no further resistance. He did not budge even when Amber yanked a comb through the knots in his hair.

“There now. What do you think sister?” Amber asked when she was done.

Lisa gave him a critical examination. After having him turn around a few times, she gave her approval. “All we need now are some proper clothes.”

“Yay a new dolly to play with.”

Thaddeus had been teased enough. “I’m not a doll!”

“You will be when we’re done with you.”

“I brought the clothes.” Mary had returned with a full basket.

The older sisters took one look inside and grimaced. “No Mary… not these clothes. Go get one of the uniforms we have the stable boy wear on high holidays.”

“No… I want him to wear these.” Mary dropped the basket right on her sister’s toes.

“I don’t care where you get the clothes, just get me some.” The last thing Thad wanted was to stand naked while the girls fought.

As is usually the case, the youngest got her way. Still, the eldest insisted she pick from the selection of clothes Mary had brought.

To their surprise and shock, they were a perfect. “He looks just like brother.” Mary said smugly.

“That’s the problem. He looks too much like him.” Lisa said.

Amber and Lisa looked at each other worriedly. “This is going to upset papa.” Amber warned.

“Daughters, have you been molesting our guests!” The baronet picked that moment to appear.

“It’s too late now.” Lisa cast her eyes downward as did Amber.

Only Mary showed no shame. “Look papa. Doesn’t he look just like big brother?”

“Did you three do this?” The Baronet was a fingernail’s breath away from unleashing his rage on the three.

The youngest was oblivious to her father’s anger. “It was my idea papa.”

“Go to your room.” The Baronet hissed through clenched teeth. “All of you out!”

Before Mary could say another word, Amber dragged her back inside.

This left Thaddeus alone with his lordship. “I… Sir Lord, they forced me to wear this.” Thaddeus spread out his arms in supplication.

“I know they did lad. My girls were just as cruel to my son. Always teasing him and dressing him up like a doll. I beg your pardon. My family has long been known for its hospitality but today, however, that reputation has been soiled.”

“No Sir Lord, it’s my fault. I shouldn’t have allowed them…”

“To what… if you had kept on fighting them they would have beaten you to a pulp. If only their mother were still alive, they might have learned proper manners. Instead, all they have is an old codger who doesn’t know anything about turning girls into proper ladies.”

“Beg your pardon Sir Lord but may I ask you a question?”

“It is the least I can do.”

‘Do I… Do I really look like your son?”

“Aye, you do but he was never my son. Not by blood at least. Tell me… what do you know of your father?”

“Very little. I know the Countess hates him. She claims it was his fault we were so poor. The Duke and the Duchess that is.”

“Countess… she still has people refer to her by that title… even her son?”

“Aye Sir Lord. She gets very angry if you don’t.”

“A bitter heart, unless healed by forgiveness, will only become more riddled with disease. That is true for both sisters. None of this would have happened if your father didn’t stick his man-bits inside every pretty face that tickled his fancy. The boy who lived with me, the one who was my son in all but blood, was born of the seed the Duke planted within my wife.”

“He is my brother?”

“He was. He died five years ago.”

“I’m sorry… I didn’t know.”

“Sir Levi doesn’t either. I have not attended the Imperial Court since I brought my family here. Like your mother, I too was exiled to the outer fiefs. The only reason my family was able to keep its title was that we left as soon as I learned what the Duke and my wife had done.”

“Your mother wasn’t near as discrete. When she learned she was pregnant with the Duke’s child, she demanded he divorce your aunt and marry her. She made a fool of herself and the Duke… but more so his wife. Your Aunt does not take well to being made a fool of. She went to the God Emperor himself and demanded her half-sister be stripped of her title and cast out from the court. As she happens to be the Emperor’s cousin, the honor of the Imperial family was at stake.”

“So she was exiled to that worthless fief of hers, which she has made even more worthless.”

“I’ve never been beyond the borders of her lands. When Sir Levi took me away from there, I saw people better off than my own. I was confused to as why the Countess didn’t take us away from there.”

“I’m certain she’s tried. As part of her exile, the God Emperor had his wizards cast a spell that has the effect of binding her to her lands. She cannot take even one step past its borders. I’ve been told that even in death she cannot leave.”

“Why wasn’t the same spell cast on me?”

“For the same reason it was not cast on my adopted son. The blood of the Upper Nobility is too precious to waste… even it’s the blood of a bastard.”

Feeling tears coming, Thaddeus ran. Being spoken of in such debased terms was too much for him. Jack, still naked, ran after him.

Baronet Fredrick felt the coming of tears as well. “Too much like him… too much.”

Copyright © 2012 JMH; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

An engaging premise and setting, the characters are well made and the writing is of a good quality. A winner of a story if ever I saw one

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..