Jump to content
    joann414
  • Author
  • 13,882 Words
  • 1,638 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Spot by the Lake - 1. Chapter 1

A rancher and a chef? Can this work? Seems the two are determined to make it work no matter what it takes or what price they have to pay.

The Spot by the Lake

 

“You’ve got to stay off of your feet for the remainder of your pregnancy. You almost lost your baby. I know five months is a long time, but caution is needed to insure a normal pregnancy until the baby is born.” Dr. Logan looked at Cassie and Jim.

Jim looked at the panic on his wife’s face as she lay in bed, staring at the doctor. “Quit thinking what you’re thinking. Bed rest from now until the baby is born. Period.”

“You know I have to go to Mendelson’s for the two month-stint like I do every year. There’s no one else who can go.” Cassie hushed when she saw the stern look on her doctor’s face. “Ok, I’ll talk to my brother.”

“Can I take her home now? This has been a long three days Doc, and I’ll make sure she stays in bed. Ms. Reynolds is at our home eight hours a day. I can get her to stay more if needed. She’ll keep an eye on our little mother-to-be.”

“I’m not a child. I know I’ve got to take care of myself. Just get me home so I can call Casey and drop my bomb on him.” Cassie threw her legs over the side of the bed, waiting for the orderly that entered the room to put down the foot pieces on the wheelchair he’d brought. “Guess I have to ride in that thing too.”

“Yes, hospital policy. If you have any problem, no matter how small, contact my nurse immediately. Understood?” The doctor waited on Cassie to agree before taking his leave.

***

Cassie sat propped against two pillows, waiting for her twin brother to arrive. She felt guilty for putting him on the spot; she knew he wasn’t going to be happy. She had no choice though. CC’s Restaurant had been Mendelson’s food service provider for two months out of every year since their grandfather had opened it over sixty years ago. Their parents carried on the tradition and she and Casey had been doing it for the last eight years themselves. After their parents retired, the restaurant became theirs; both of them being chefs helped, its reputation became even more widespread. Their clientele came for miles to enjoy their cuisine and the Mendelson’s paid them generously for their services at their ranch during April and May of each year.

Harry Mendelson had bred paint horses for years. During the months of April and May, he opened his ranch to visitors. They rode the horses, swam in one of the huge in-ground pools behind the main house, or in the man-made lake at the back of his property. People made reservations a year in advance for the chance to spend time in the country, and lounge on the porches of the visitor’s cabins in the evenings. The large cafeteria and modern kitchen he’d built was a chef’s dream and Cassie loved going there, although Casey wouldn’t be too excited about the prospect. Harry Mendelson’s grandson, Grey, ran the ranch now since his grandfather had passed away several years ago.

Grey was in his late thirties, six or seven years older than the twins. He and Cassie got along fine, but he seemed to bring out the worst in Casey. Casey avoided going to the ranch at all. He sent a couple of their other chefs to help Cassie, uninterested in being around Grey Mendelson. Although Cassie had an idea why, she never voiced her thoughts, not wanting to make her brother uncomfortable. Like most twins, they knew each other well. Both of them had black hair and blue eyes, identical coloring, but Casey towered over Cassie’s five-feet-four inches by a foot. While Cassie was a chatterbox and outgoing, Casey kept to himself most of the time.

“What’s so important that I had to drive all the way out here? Are you and the baby really ok?” Casey looked at his sister with concern.

Motioning her brother to sit at the foot of the bed, Cassie said brightly, “We’re fine. There’s just been a change of plans.”

“Change of plans? I don’t know what you mean.” Casey turned toward his sister, resting one knee on the bed.

Cassie chose her words carefully. “I’m chained to the bed for the duration of my pregnancy, doctor’s orders. That means that someone else has to…”

“Go to Mendelson’s for two months, starting Friday.” Casey finished her sentence, dread and displeasure written all over his handsome face. I’ll talk to Miriam and Dean. They can probably do it.”

Cassie could tell by her brother’s tone of voice that he knew what he was saying wouldn’t work. Grey Mendelson expected one of them to be there to oversee things. “I know you don’t want to go, but you have to. Those two months make up a quarter of our yearly earnings. You can take Miriam and Dean with you, but you’ve got to go and stay. I’m sorry.”

“No worries. You take care of yourself and don’t fret about it. I’m a big boy. After all, Grey Mendelson can’t eat me. He growls a lot when I’m around though.” Casey leaned over and kissed his sibling on the cheek, patting her leg reassuringly. “Is the itinerary on your laptop?”

“Yeah, just take it with you. We have Jim’s if we need one…you ok?”

Casey knew not to lie. “Nope, but I’m going to be. Like Gran always said, things come full circle. Maybe it’s time.”

“Care to explain? I know there’s something that causes friction between you and Grey, but I’m not sure that I’m right.”

“He’s gay.”

“Everyone knows he’s gay. What’s that got to do with anything?”

Casey studied his fingernails as if they were filled with dirt instead of being immaculately clean. “It’s a long and old story. I’ll tell you someday.”

“No, you’ll tell me today. Now, spill.”

“Do you remember when I was on spring break my junior year of college and spent two weeks out at the ranch with dad?”

“Sure, I do. You left from the ranch and went straight back to college without a word to anyone. Mom and I thought you and Dad had gotten into a tiff about cooking or something.”

“Not exactly. One night after supper I walked back to the lake for some peace and quiet. I was sitting on the ground, watching the sun go down when I heard someone walking through the woods. It was Grey. He stripped and went swimming in the lake.”

Cassie was puzzled. “I’m not following you. Did something happen?”

“Yes.” Casey couldn’t look at his sister.

“Case? Look at me. Tell me.” Cassie laid her hand on her brother’s leg, encouraging him to continue.

Drawing in a shuddering breath, Casey spoke softly. “I didn’t think he saw me, so I stayed where I was. It wasn’t as if I was spying on him or anything. I was more or less listening to the sound of him splashing in the water. When the splashing stopped, I rose up; I looked across the lake thinking he’d swam to the other side. That’s when someone put a hand on my shoulder. Startled, I turned to see Grey standing naked, looking like a thunder cloud.”

“Like what you see, college boy? You’ve been staring for the last hour. Come closer and I’ll let you get a better look.”

Cassie leaned forward, barely able to hear Casey as he spoke.

Casey continued, refusing to look up from his hands.

“Well, you gonna just sit there or come here like I told you? We’re both grown men and it looks like we want the same thing.”

“I didn’t realize what he meant at first until I felt rather than saw my body’s response to his nakedness. Thinking I was going to just get up and leave, I pushed myself up off the ground and stumbled into him. When I went to flee, it was too late. He grabbed me by my arms, pulling me to him, and kissed me like there was no tomorrow. Before I could think coherently, I was giving as good as I got. I kissed him Cass, another man.”

Scooting forward in the bed, Cassie pulled her brother to her, resting his head against her breasts like a soothing parent. “It’s ok. You haven’t done anything wrong. A lot of people explore and experiment. Maybe you were just caught in the moment.”

Without raising his head, Casey spoke words that seemed forced from his mouth. “I’ve not been able to feel anything with a girl since, Cass. None made me feel like he did.”

Rocking her twin gently, Cassie felt her suspicions of her brother’s sexuality were correct and her love and support for Casey just increased tenfold. “Well, looks like you’re in for a couple of interesting or miserable months, whichever you want it to be.”

Casey pulled away from his sister. “Yeah, I feel miserable already. Grey’s been seen with a guy out and about. They even came into the restaurant the day before yesterday looking for you.”

Smiling mischievously, Cassie said, “All’s fair in love and war, bro. If that’s who you want, fight for him. Did you date any guys at college?”

“I tried, but my heart kept replaying that evening by the lake. It sounds crazy, but it’s like I passed through a realm of life that molded me that evening and that mold is only shaped to fit him.” Casey looked a little sheepish when he finished speaking.

“Wow. Now I wish I was going to the ranch with you. But, I can’t, so go home, pack, and plan your strategy if you want Grey. You’ve never failed at anything yet.”

“Love you, sis.” Casey gathered Cassie in his arms, grateful for having her as his staunchest supporter.

“And I love you. Now go, I need to rest.” She blew Casey a kiss as he walked out of her bedroom.

***

Miriam slid into the seat next to Dean then turned to look at Casey. “We’ll see you at the ranch. You should be there by dark if you get away by midafternoon like you planned.”

Casey waved at two of his best employees, glad they’d agreed to go and they actually seemed revved up about it. Dusting himself off from loading their truck, he went through the back entrance of the restaurant to his office. He gathered up the paperwork that he needed to take with him along with his laptop. He’d downloaded all he needed from Cassie’s and took it back to her yesterday. The time to go to the Mendelson’s had come in a flash, and by nightfall he’d be at the ranch. He hoped he looked calmer than he felt. It wasn’t like he was nervous as much as it was uncertain excitement. Turning off his office light, he locked the door, knowing that when his brother-in-law came down later to do payroll, he had a key to get in.

After putting his stuff into the backseat of the truck with his luggage, he slid into the driver’s seat and drove to the nearest gas station. While he filled the tank, he watched a couple of men standing out front drinking a pop, and talking. When one leaned over and lightly kissed the other on the lips, Casey quickly turned his head. Shutting the gas tank, he jumped back into the driver’s seat and pulled out into the lunchtime traffic.

Once he got out of the city, Casey set his cruise control, turned up the radio and gave in to the thoughts he’d blocked from his mind for the last few days. Thinking of being in the same proximity as Grey for two months had his hopes and imagination on overload. Feeling like a giddy teen going to his first dance, he sang along with the radio as he drove. After about two hours, he pulled in for gas again, this time grabbing chips and a pop from inside to tide him over for the rest of the trip.

Less than an hour later when he drove through the front gate of the property known as Mendelson’s Retreat, he slowed down, and rolled down his window, the smell of fresh mown grass tickling his nostrils. He loved the country and the sounds associated with it. Coming upon the large main house, he noticed that the three-story wooden structure had a fresh coat of white paint and new dark red shutters. The wraparound porch had a dozen or more red rockers sitting out front and probably more on the sides and back porch. Turning right toward the visitor’s cabins, he saw Miriam and Dean’s pick-up parked in front of the kitchen and cafeteria. Pulling in beside them, he turned off his engine, taking a deep breath before opening his door and letting himself out of the truck. Stretching his arms above his head, he froze. Grey stood in the front door of the cafeteria watching him, his almost black eyes narrowed under the cowboy hat he wore. The faded jeans and denim shirt fit his torso and ass like a pair of gloves that were a size too small. The zipper of his jeans did nothing to hide the evidence of his manhood which looked thick and firm from where Casey was standing. Meeting the man’s eyes, he saw Grey studying him as keenly as Casey had looked at him. Walking slowly toward him, Casey held out his hand. “Nice to see you again, Grey.”

“Well, well, college boy. Can’t believe they got you out of the city and back to the country. You left so abruptly last time, I figured you’d never set foot here again. Must be something really important for you to agree to stay here for the next two months.”

“Cassie didn’t email you? She almost miscarried and her doctor put her on bed rest for the rest of her pregnancy. I figured she told you.”

“Nope, first I’ve heard. One of the waitresses at the restaurant just told me she was out the other day when I came by. I was going to check in with her then. Hope everything goes well for her. I know how much she and Jim want a little one. Only Cassie could talk you into coming here. I should’ve known.” Grey’s voice dripped with arrogance and mockery.

***

Settling in that night was more like unsettling. Grey had followed Casey from the cafeteria after they’d eaten the light supper Miriam and Dean had prepared for the staff. “Was there something you needed before I turn in for the evening, Grey? I’ve got a couple of things to go over before I go to bed, and four-thirty will come early in the morning. Casey faked a yawn as he spoke, knowing the other man wasn’t fooled by his motions.

“I thought we’d have a little talk. You know, clear the air and all that crap. You’ve seemed like a skittish little paint colt since you arrived today. I can’t have you being all nervous around me. We’ll be spending a lot of time together for the next couple of months.” Grey stood at the bottom of the steps leading up to Casey’s guest cabin, his face unclear in the evening dusk.

Casey turned to look down at Grey as he stepped onto the porch. “Well, in that case, I have a bottle of bourbon. Care for a drink?” The look on Grey’s face was worth ten bottles of bourbon. The smirk of satisfaction on Casey’s face was missed by the other man as Casey led the way through the front door.

The fire had almost gone out, so Casey moved the screen, stirring the ashes a little before putting on more wood. As he dusted his hands together he saw Grey taking in the small living room. The fleece wolf blanket Casey had packed draped across the back of the brown leather couch. Two scented candles Cassie had given him for Christmas sat on the roughhewn coffee table in front of it. He loved scented candles and didn’t care who knew it. Walking past Grey, he picked up the box of matches next to one of the candles, took a match out, and struck it on the side of the box. Lighting the two candles, he sniffed appreciatively when the scent of cedar tickled his nostrils. “Hope you don’t mind the smell. I love the scent of the evergreens.”

Taken aback, Grey took a moment to assess the situation: the invite into Casey’s cabin, scented candles, brightly burning fire, and a hot college boy that had turned into a smoldering, sexy man. He couldn’t believe his luck. “I love the evergreens too. Nothing is more pleasing than the scent of a freshly cut Christmas tree as you drag it through the snow.”

Casey couldn’t believe Grey liked Christmas. He would’ve bet the man was a modern day Scrooge, only doing the things he did because of his heritage. “Well, let’s have that drink. You want yours neat or with a mixer? I have Coke, Sprite, water...”

“I’ll have mine on the rocks with just a smash of Coke.”

“You mean splash, don’t you?” Casey corrected the other man.

“Nope, smash. In the bars, they take their little hose thingy and stick it to the top of the bourbon and squirt it real quick and call it ‘bourbon smash’. You should try it.”

“I think I will.” Casey went into the kitchen, put ice in two glasses and filled them almost to the rim with bourbon. Popping open a can of Coke, he quickly poured a splash into each glass. Eyeing the drink, he hoped he hadn’t overloaded himself. He drank, but not a lot of the hard stuff. He carried both drinks into the living room and sat down on the couch. “Here you go.”

Grey had settled onto the other end of the couch and took the drink from him.

The two men drank in silence for a few minutes, until Grey finally spoke. “I meant what I said out there. When you were here last time you should’ve slugged me. I had no right to kiss you or treat you the way that I did. We can start fresh if you like.”

Casey clinched his free hand into a fist, fighting the urge to back down from what he was fixing to do. “In that case, I’ll get fresh first,” he said as he leaned in and kissed Grey on his moist bourbon-shined lips. “Mmm, that does taste smashing.” If he hadn’t been overwhelmed with feelings, when he opened his eyes he would have noticed the look of disbelief on the other man’s face..

“If you’re trying to get back at me, you’re going about it the wrong way. You’re only adding fuel to embers that’ve been waiting to be fanned back to life and you’ve succeeded in doing just that.”

Shocked by Grey’s words and not quite sure what they meant, Casey took a large gulp of his drink, giving himself time to think of a comeback. Coming up with nothing, he murmured, “I um... better turn in.”

Grey studied the younger man’s features in the firelight, deciding to let things go for the moment. Setting his drink on the table, he ran a finger across Casey’s recently-kissed mouth, remembering the touch of it against his own. “See you in the morning, college boy.” Then he left, not giving Casey time to rethink or reply to their exchange.

***

The next couple of days were spent getting the guests settled into their cabins. Casey and his two helpers spent at least eight hours a day in the kitchen just preparing food. That didn’t count the people Grey had hired to clean up and serve the food. There were only eight couples registered for the first three weeks, but it seemed like more according to the amount of food that was being devoured the first couple of days. Casey sat down and re-planned several of his menus, alternating more filling foods. By the end of the third day, the three cooks were exhausted.

“I’m whooped. It’s nine o’clock guys, so I’m going to hit the cabin. Gonna have me a couple of drinks and relax. Any takers?” Miriam looked at Casey and Dean.

In unison, the two men replied, “Count me in.”

“I’ll run to my cabin and get my bourbon. I’ve got a few beers if you need them.” Casey looked at the other two.

Dean shook his head. “I need the hard stuff. There’s rum at my place. Be back in a few.” He headed toward the cabin next door.

Casey sprinted to his cabin since it was a little farther away. Whoever came to the ranch every summer to head things up got a little privacy by having the cabin farther back than any of the other guest housing. He opened the unlocked door and stopped dead in his tracks, his heart in his throat. A large golden lab was sprawled on his couch, obviously as gentle as Casey was startled. The animal raised its head when the door opened and promptly dropped it back onto the wolf blanket that he’d obviously pulled from the back of the couch and curled up on it, making himself at home.

“Looks like I’ve got some furry company. Where’d you come from?” Casey spoke softly to the animal.

“Chief belongs to me. I tried to sneak off from him but it’s like he has a sixth sense when I’m fixing to leave. He was out the door before I was.” Grey’s voice housed affection mixed with amusement. “I hope he didn’t scare you.”

Casey tried to hide his pleasure at the sight of Grey by skirting around him to get to the kitchen. As he passed him, he said, “I was a little startled until I realized he’d made himself at home and was relatively harmless. He seems to like my blanket though.” Reaching into a cabinet, he found the bottle of bourbon.

Grey stood in the kitchen doorway watching him. “Sorry I barged in. I’ll be going.” He turned to leave, calling the dog softly.

“No, don’t go. Miriam just invited Dean and me over for a couple of drinks to unwind. You’re welcome to join us.”

“You sure they won’t mind? I hate to intrude.”

Snickering, Casey said, “Says the guy with the dog who was in my cabin when I got home.”

Grey turned pink and looked a little uncomfortable. Casey noticed the other man’s unease. “Hey, I’m just kidding. Come on and bring Chief with you. Miriam loves dogs.”

Casey waited for Grey and Chief to get out the front door before shutting it behind him. “It’s cool here in the mountains at night.”

Grey walked with his hands stuck in the front pockets of his jeans. “Yeah, low 30’s tonight. I was hoping spring would come earlier than last year, but it doesn’t look like the weather is going to cooperate. Not sure if there’ll be much horseback riding until the weather gets a little warmer. Both pools are heated so they can enjoy them if they want or hang out at the game room. Most of them love that.” He turned to look at Casey who was running his hand down Chief’s back as they ambled along.

“I love winter, the darkness, the light of the fireplace, sitting under a blanket watching a movie...” Casey trailed off, embarrassed.

“Well, you’ll probably get to enjoy another month of it. I’m just glad we didn’t book any older couples for April. The cold tends to put a damper on things for them. This crew we have now seem happy just eating.” Grey laughed. “I’ve noticed the food that’s been consumed the last couple of days. Make sure you bill me for all of it.”

“Don’t worry. That much and more.” Casey ducked when Grey playfully went to smack him on the upside the head. By this time, they arrived at Miriam’s cabin.

“Hey guys, I brought one more mouth to drink. He likes smashes.”

Miriam looked up from her place where she sat curled under a blanket on the couch. “What the hell are smashes? I’ve heard of mash.”

Grey laughed, snapping his fingers for Chief to sit on the rug right inside the front door. “I like a ‘bourbon smash”.

“I used to drink those until my best friend introduced me to rum and coke. Now, that’s my drink of choice.” Dean came out of the kitchen carrying cheese and crackers on a wooden cutting board and sat it on the coffee table in front of the couch. “Hi, Grey. Glad you came by to have a drink. Or two.”

Grey shook the other man’s hand and watched Casey walk into the kitchen and start fixing their drinks. “Casey assured me that I wouldn’t be intruding, so here I am. Lots better company than just Chief and me.”

Miriam saw Grey’s eyes follow Casey. “He’s a good friend and a good boss. If it hadn’t been for him, Dean and I would probably still be looking for a decent job. When we finished cooking school two years ago, the job market for chefs was terrible. After meeting Casey through a mutual friend, he took a chance on us. He’s like family.”

Grey never took his eyes from Casey as he spoke. “Yeah, he’s very nice and obviously intelligent. His family’s business has developed quite a reputation. Cassie and he make a great pair.”

“Yeah, he’s done well considering he’s so young. He just turned thirty-one last month. You’re quite a bit older, aren’t you?” Miriam spoke a little louder.

The young woman’s question got Grey’s undivided attention. “Are you warning me away from Casey? You certainly sound like a mother protecting her baby.”

“Should I be?”

“Should you be what?” Casey handed Grey his drink, waiting to get his answer.

Not one to mince words or dodge an issue, Grey spoke plainly and honestly. “Miriam seems to think you might need protection from a lecherous old man like me.”

Casey guffawed. “Miriam takes over for Cassie when she’s not around. She looks out for me. But, Miriam, even old men need lovin’ every once in a while.” He laughed again along with Dean and Miriam.

An uneasy silence followed when Grey set his drink on the mantle, opened the front door and ordered Chief to, “Come on!” The slamming of the door brought the other three to life.

“What the hell? You two were just kidding. I think you actually hurt the Ice Man’s feelings.” Dean looked at Miriam and then Casey.

“Ice Man? Why’d you call him that?” Casey wanted to follow Grey but felt it wasn’t the right thing to do. If the man was as angry as he looked, he needed time to cool down.

Miriam sent Dean a warning look.

Casey saw the exchange. “Tell me what you mean. I wanna know. Now!”

Dean cleared his throat. “He’s got a reputation with the men. They say he fucks and flees. The only person he’s ever dated was the man he brought to the restaurant the other day. Everyone thought they were a done deal until we saw the two of them together.”

“Why don’t I ever hear any of this stuff? Do you keep it from me or am I just deaf and stupid?”

“No, Hun. You’re always busy and if you know he’s in the restaurant you don’t go out front. You make a point of avoiding him at all times. We couldn’t believe you’d agreed to come this time. We could’ve handled it.” Miriam was worried about Casey. He looked ready to either explode or cry.

“I’m so stupid. I was fixing to fall into his trap just like the others. He put on a great act, acting all offended because I called him an old man. What a piece of work!” Casey downed the rest of his drink. “I’m going to turn in. I feel exhausted all of a sudden. See you two in the morning.”

After the door shut, Miriam and Dean looked at each other. “Cassie warned us. Now what?” Miriam sounded even more exhausted than Casey.

Dean patted her on the arm and leaned in to kiss her. “I’m staying here and we’ll sleep on it. Together.”

Letting her mouth fall into a relaxed smile Miriam said, “Sounds like a plan. Let’s go to bed.”

***

Casey looked at the clock on his phone that lay beside him on the bed. It was past midnight and he hadn’t slept a wink. Throwing his feet over the side of the bed, he pulled his robe on over his pajamas pants to ward off the coolness of the cabin. After stoking the fire in the small living room, he went to the kitchen to make coffee. He sat on the couch with a cup of the hot liquid a few minutes later and mumbled to himself. “Too late to worry, too blue to cry. What the hell have I done?”

Hearing the sound of a motor he got up and went to look out the door. He saw headlights pulling up in front of the main house. The porch light showed Grey’s silhouette as he staggered up the steps, holding on to the rail for support. Watching him until he was safely inside, Casey closed the door and took his coffee to bed with him. There wouldn’t be any sleep for him tonight.

***

The alarm caused Casey to jerk awake, his hand hitting the bedside table several times before actually slapping the button to shut it off. He sat up on the side of the bed and rubbed his eyes. The events of the night before rushed back, clearing the fog from his sleepy head. Fuck, it’s gonna be a long day. Pushing that thought to the back of his mind he headed to the bathroom, hoping a hot shower would put things back into perspective.

It didn’t.

After he dried his hair, he slipped into a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt that had the restaurant’s logo on it and then pulled on an old comfortable pair of brown leather boots. Knowing Miriam would have coffee made at the restaurant, he left his cabin and jogged at a leisurely pace to the back of the cafeteria and through the rear door into the kitchen.

“Well, well. You’re energetic this morning. Must’ve slept well last night.” Miriam was all smiles as she spoke, winking at Dean.

Casey saw the exchange. “And it looks as though somebody got some last night, or should I say everybody but me.”

Miriam swatted at him with her spatula. “I bet Grey didn’t get any either.”

“Don’t bet on it. He didn’t get home until after midnight. I saw him”

“You saw him? Were you waiting up for him?” Miriam’s voice was teasing.

Casey poured himself a cup of coffee and leaned on the cabinet beside the griddle where Miriam was cooking pancakes. “No! I didn’t wait up for him. The motor of his truck woke me up.”

“I didn’t even hear his truck and we were much closer than you are to the main house.” Dean had walked up beside Miriam and joined the conversation.

“You probably didn’t hear it because you had your head buried between Miriam’s...”

“Don’t you dare say it! You’re awful.” Miriam’s face blanched and she swung again, her spatula hitting its target.

“Ouch! That’s hot.” Casey jerked his hand away from the counter and put it to his mouth. “You could’ve blistered the back of my hand with that hot spatula, you wench.”

The three laughed but it faded quickly when Grey walked through the door of the kitchen. “Any extra coffee?” The man acted as if the night before had never happened.

Casey’s shoulders slumped as he noticed Grey’s good mood. Guess I am the only one that didn’t get any last night. Pushing himself away from the cabinet he got a mug from the rack and poured the other man a cup of coffee and handed it to him.

“Thanks. I didn’t feel like making any this morning. Long night and not much sleep does that to you.”

“I wouldn’t know,” Casey said sullenly.

“Well, I’ve got loads of things to do. I was wondering if the three of you would like to come up to the main house later when you get though here. I’m having a few friends over for drinks and cards. It’ll be fun.”

Before Casey could refuse the invitation Miriam piped up. “Sure, we’d love to. Any certain dress code?”

“Nope, jeans and sweaters or sweatshirts will be fine. It’s a laidback bunch. See ya’ll later.” He looked at Casey. “Later, college boy.”

The day passed much too fast for Casey. The last meal of the day had been served and he was preparing the coffee pots for the next morning. Miriam and Dean were putting a batch of cinnamon rolls on a cookie sheet to rise for breakfast the next day. “I might stay in tonight.”

“No you’re not. I told Grey we’d be there and we’re going. Anyway, you don’t want him to think you’re a coward, do you?” Miriam washed her hands under the hot water coming from the tap at the sink. “We’re all going to our cabins, grabbing a shower and meeting at my place to walk up to the main house together. Got it?”

“I do. You know I could take a shower with you to save water and time.” Dean flirted with Miriam.

Casey knew he’d lost this round. Not wanting to spoil the others’ good mood, he listened to them tease each other, throwing in a comment here and there. He helped Miriam lightly cover the cinnamon rolls before they all took off their aprons and went to get ready to go up to Grey’s house.

Twenty minutes later Casey walked out of his cabin. His hair was still damp and he’d put a jacket on over the flannel shirt he wore with his jeans and boots. The brisk air felt more like fall than the beginning of spring.

Miriam and Dean stood waiting for him in front of Miriam’s cabin. “So, did you two do the right thing and save water?”

Miriam made the motions of zipping her lips and then said, “I’ll never tell.”

Noticing the two holding hands as they walked up the hill, Casey felt lonely even though the two of them were right next to him. It was dark by the time they knocked on the door of Grey’s house.

The man that answered the door looked vaguely familiar to Casey. He wondered if he was one of the guests. Then he heard Miriam whisper to Dean.

“This isn’t good.”

By this time the three of them were in the hallway leading into the main house where music and voices could be heard. A burst of laughter erupted from the large den that held several card tables and a pool table sat in the far corner of the room. Casey let Dean and Miriam enter before him, craning his neck, his eyes searching for their host among all the other people.

“Looking for someone?” Grey spoke from behind Casey.

Turning, Casey took in Grey’s appearance. Clad in blue jeans and a solid black western shirt, his tan skin and blackish eyes were to die for. Black boots completed the mouthwatering look. “Nah, just wondering where I’ve seen one of your guests before. He answered the door when we got here and looked vaguely familiar.”

“Jace? You’ve seen him several times. He’s eaten with me at the restaurant whenever we’d be in town. I’m sure that’s it.” Grey gestured toward the subject of their conversation who at that very moment was walking toward them.

Casey felt sick when he noticed the man coming toward them. If you could call a man pretty, then Jace would be stunning. His white blonde hair, emerald green eyes, and tan skin could have been under cellophane and sold as a Barbie doll. The two tan men made Casey more aware of his fair complexion, although he knew it complimented his black hair and blue eyes. He’d been told many times how gorgeous he was, but not as gorgeous as Jace, he thought. “Um, yeah, you’re probably right.”

Grey waited for the other man to get closer and then introduced them. “Jace, I’m sure you remember Casey, Cassie’s brother from the restaurant. They’re co-owners and both are chefs. We’ve discussed it before.”

Jace held out his hand to Casey. “I think all I’ve ever heard you called is ‘college boy’, but it’s nice to know your given name.”

Feeling his face flush, Casey shook the other man’s hand and said, “I’m a little thirsty. Excuse me.” Hurrying into the noise of the other room, he went to the bar where a young woman was bartending. Ordering a ‘smash’, he looked back to find Grey watching him with an amused curl to his mouth. Seeing a man get up from one of the card tables, Casey slid into the vacant chair not caring what game they were playing, as long as he wasn’t playing any more tiring mind games with Grey.

An hour later, to his surprise, Casey had won over two hundred dollars. The table he’d sat down at was for poker. Although it was fun, he noticed the others players were pretty serious about the game. Taking his winnings, he slid them into his front pocket and went to the bar for another drink. After he got it, he went out of the den and down the hall to the front door where he grabbed his jacket off of one of the large brass hooks along the wall. His jacket in one hand and drink in the other, he quietly slid out the door into the darkness.

Casey sat his drink down on a table he could just make out on the porch and put his jacket on. As he picked up his drink, he heard voices.

“You didn’t tell me he was so damn hot! When you kept calling him ‘college boy’, I pictured a pretty nerd, not a tall Adonis with blue eyes and silky black hair that made my hands itch to touch the shiny strands. That bubble ass had me squirming trying to keep my cock down.”

Stopping at the top of the steps Casey waited for Jace to continue the conversation.

“I told you not to bother him. You’re nothing but a high class whore, Jace, and you know it.”

Although Casey could hear humor in Grey’s voice, he could tell the man was serious. Knowing if he moved it would draw their attention, he carefully eased down so that he could sit on the top step.

“What would’ve happened if he hadn’t come out this year instead of his sister? Would you still drag me to town at least once a week just to get a glance of him at the restaurant? Don’t you think it’s time to put this fantasy to rest? Fuck him and forget him, Grey. If you don’t, I will.”

Casey heard a match strike and smelled smoke. One of the two men had lit a cigarette.

“Stay away from him. I mean it, Jace!”

Feeling anger well up inside of him, Casey pushed himself up from the step and started walking toward the glow of the cigarette, his only way of seeing where the two men stood. He’d show Grey that he had no say so over who or what he did. Walking a little faster, he let himself walk into Jace, reaching to grab the man to keep him from falling down.

“Shit, I wasn’t expecting anyone to be out here. I just came out for a little fresh air.” He brushed the front of Jace’s shirt between the folds of the leather jacket the other man wore. Running his fingers down the hard chest he cooed. “Wow, nice pecs you got there.” Casey could almost feel the anger radiating off of Grey.

Jace touched Casey’s chest. “Not too bad yourself there, college boy.”

“Don’t call me that. I’ve been out of college for years.”

“Well if you two are through rubbing each other’s chests, let’s go inside. It’s getting cold out here.” Grey tried to hide the annoyance in his voice but didn’t succeed.

Casey smiled to himself knowing Grey couldn’t see it. “I think I’m going to turn in. You know? Take my winnings and run. Wanna walk with me, Jace?”

“No!”

Stifling a giggle Casey acted dumbfounded. “Um, I wasn’t asking you, Grey. I think I said Jace.”

“Jace, go see to the guests. You promised Gill that you’d play a hand or two of ‘hold’em’ with him. I’ll walk a little way with Casey and check on Chief while I’m out. He hates to be left in the barn when I’ve got company.” Grey didn’t wait for Jace to answer, taking Casey lightly by the arm and walking toward the barn.

“You didn’t have to be rude to him, Grey. I asked him, not vice-versa. Why’d you put Chief in the barn anyway? He’s a well-mannered dog.”

“Some of the ladies get all huffy if he gets against them and gets hair on them or something. You know how females are.” Grey opened the barn door and switched on a light as he walked past the small office at the front. “Where are you, boy? You ok?”

The tenderness in Grey’s voice made Casey want to kiss the other man right then and there. “Maybe he’s pouting.”

“Nah, he’s probably in the stall with Mercury. They’re buddies.”

“Mercury?”

“Yeah, my new horse. I got him about three months ago and he and Chief became buddies. He was easy to break with Chief’s help.”

A little farther down Grey stopped and looked over the gate of a stall. “Yep, he’s there and sound asleep. Look.”

Casey glanced into the stall. Although the horse was asleep standing, the dog was curled up close to his back legs sleeping peacefully. “Aww, that’s beautiful.” He was sure the beautiful paint knew they were there but chose to ignore the intrusion. “Why did you name him Mercury?”

“I used to love Freddy Mercury.” Grey looked a little sheepish at his admission.

The two men left the barn, the angst of a little earlier forgotten. Walking shoulder to shoulder neither felt the need to talk. Casey felt Grey trying to slide his hand into his. He opened it and took the other man’s hand.

Casey thought the walk to his cabin seemed much shorter than usual. When he got to the steps leading up to his cabin he turned to Grey. “Thank you for walking with me. Now I feel guilty because you’ve got to go back alone.”

“That’s ok. I’m used to it. I’ll be back in no time.”

“Or you could stay.” Casey couldn’t believe he’d said the words. “I’m sorry. That was silly to say. You’ve got guests…”

“Guests be damned. I may never get an offer like that again. I’m staying.” Grey pulled Casey up the steps and through the door of the cabin in a matter of seconds.

Casey pulled his hand from Grey’s so he could take off his jacket and boots. He noticed Grey doing the same. While the other man built a fire, he went into the kitchen to fix the two of them a drink. When he walked back into the living room, the fire was roaring and Grey took his drink, reclaiming Casey’s hand.

Grey paused, giving the younger man a chance to change his mind. Stepping forward, Casey kissed Grey, opening his mouth to take the hot wet tongue that tasted like bourbon and mint. Their breathing became labored as they moved slowly toward the bedroom, careful not to spill their drinks or lose their heated contact.

Neither hesitated. They both sat their drinks on the bedside table and took their shirts off followed by their jeans. Standing there in tee shirts and boxers, their obvious arousals were the sign to take each other’s remaining clothing off, their warm bodies gravitating toward each other with the yearning they’d harbored for years.

Grey kissed Casey deeply as he pushed him down onto the furry fleece blanket. Feeling the man scooting over to accommodate him, Grey stretched out beside him, his hand moving to the inside of Casey’s thighs rubbing firmly before cupping his balls. Feeling the shudders move through the body beside him, he didn’t know if he would last long enough to do all that he wanted to do with Casey. He took his lips away, leaning back to look down into the face he’d dreamed about for years not believing it was here beside him, eyes closed in pleasure, labored breaths coming from its beautiful mouth. Not wanting to startle Casey, he whispered into his ear. “I’m going to get on top of you. Ok?” Blue eyes popped open but he saw trust and invitation there. Rising up, he slid his body onto Casey’s. The feeling of skin on skin made him grit his teeth, but the feel of his cock against Casey’s cock caused both men to moan in lust.

“Fuck, I don’t know if I’m gonna last. I’m sorry.” Casey was trying to control his emotions as well as his body.

“Shh. Don’t worry. Just let whatever needs to happen, happen. We’ve got time.” Grey knew exactly what the other man was feeling and more. As he began to slide his body against the man beneath him, he felt moisture already collecting on their stomachs and knew they were going to both release soon. Sliding his hand between the two of them, he gathered the two engorged shafts in his hand and stroked slowly, not surprised when both began to shoot hot ropes of cum onto their two bodies immediately. Rubbing lightly up and down the two shafts until both of their trembling ceased, he brought his hand to his mouth, tasting their combined seed. Feeling a tug on his arm, he put his hand to Casey’s mouth; the sight of the other man tasting him caused his cock to begin to stiffen again. He felt Casey’s cock touch his hip and knew he was having the same reaction.

***

The sound of rain against the bedroom window woke Casey the next morning.

“Morning, college boy. Looks like it’s going to be a dreary day. I guess I need to try to schedule a little entertainment for the guests. See you later.” Grey leaned over and lightly kissed silky black hair before taking his leave.

Casey laid there, his mind going over the night before. The shower they’d taken together had been brief and both of them had fallen asleep as soon as their head hit the pillow. There was no awkwardness in their first time sharing a bed. He knew Grey had a lot to do today, but his abrupt leave still stung a little. It was as if last night had never happened. Refusing to dwell on it, Casey got out of bed and got dressed, dreading the walk in the rain to the cafeteria. His truck was parked at the cafeteria since he hadn’t seen the need to bring it to the cabin.

Miriam sat on one of the counters, her feet swinging back and forth. “So where do you think Casey disappeared to last night? I’d bet he was wherever Grey was.”

Leaning next to her, drinking a cup of coffee, Dean replied. “I don’t know. I noticed that Jace disappeared too.” He shrugged. “I’m sure you’ll nose it out of Casey when he gets here. Speaking of the devil, here’s the drowned rat now.”

“Don’t you have an umbrella?” Miriam got down off the counter to grab a large clean dish towel out of one of the drawers. She dried Casey’s wet hair and then handed him the towel to dry his face.

“My jacket kept most of the rain off of me except the tops of my jeans. Good thing I stuck my jeans in my boots.” He handed the towel back to Miriam. After he’d gotten out of the wet jacket, he poured himself a cup of coffee and sat down on one of the stools by the counter. “Umm, those cinnamon rolls smell yummy.”

“Yeah, and I’ll give you the first one if you tell me where you got off to last night, or should I say got off with?” Miriam laughed at her own joke.

Casey stared at the coffee in his cup as if fascinated by the brown liquid. “I decided to leave early. Anyway, I won two hundred dollars playing poker so I guess you could say that I quit while I was ahead.” He looked up to see the two of them staring at him; their expressions let him know that they didn’t buy the lie.

“So, you’re telling me that you went home alone?”

“Did I say I was alone? I don’t remember saying that.” Casey dodged the wet towel Miriam threw at him.

“You may as well tell her. She’ll worry you to death until you do.” Dean knew how Miriam operated.

“No, I wasn’t alone. Satisfied?”

“No! Who were you with? Grey or Jace?” Miriam persisted, uncaring how embarrassed Casey looked by now.

“I was with Grey. Are you happy now, and no, you’re not getting any details. I’m going to relish in them myself for a while before I share them. Now, those cinnamon rolls should be ready. I’ll take lot of icing on mine, please.”

Huffing, Miriam walked over and removed the cinnamon rolls from the oven, a heavenly scent filling the air.

“Damn, what smells so good?”

Casey jumped at the sound of Grey’s voice as he ran through the back door, rain dripping from the brim of his cowboy hat. Throwing it into a chair, he walked up to Casey, bent over and kissed him like he was greeting his spouse of many years. “Sorry I had to rush off this morning. I wanted to get all the chores done before dealing with the guests.”

Murmuring, “That’s ok,” Casey felt a wide silly grin spread across his face.

Miriam watched the exchange and then poured icing over the cinnamon rolls, serving both the men a plate with two of the rolls on it. She thoughtfully watched as the two sat side by side and ate, looking like they’d been together for years instead of one night.

***

The next two weeks passed by in a blur. Casey and Grey would grab a few moments here and there, but they had no significant time together. The weather had warmed up enough for some of the guests to go on the trail rides that were offered and Grey helped his men with these and Casey helped Miriam and Dean as much as possible and spent the rest of his time on his laptop making sure the restaurant in town had everything it needed since he’d been away.

“I can’t believe the first wave of guests leave tomorrow. I’m going to actually miss Mr. and Ms. Brinson. They’ve been a pleasure to feed.” Miriam brushed a strand of hair out of her face, intent on the tray of hors d’oeuvres she was preparing for the cocktail party Grey was hosting for the guests that evening.

Casey smiled. He was so glad Miriam was such a sweet person to be around as well as work with. Dean should snap her up, he thought. “Yeah, I’ll miss a couple of them myself, especially the ones that donated to me when I played poker. It was a pleasure taking their money.”

Dean laughed. “Cassie’d have your hide if she knew what you’ve been doing. Her twin brother taking money from the guests would probably get you in big trouble. I’ll make sure I file that away in case I can use it against you.”

“Use what against whom?” Grey walked into the kitchen, reaching over Miriam and snatching one of her creations from the tray and eating it. “Wow, that’s great. You need to make me some bigger ones though. Those are too small.”

Playfully slapping his hand, she said, “Those are for your guests tonight. By the way, the liquor was delivered early this morning. I put what wasn’t needed in the cellar. One of your hands told me he was going into town to get beer.”

Grey walked over and threw an arm around Casey’s shoulders, pulling him against him. “Yeah, Rusty said that he’d take care of that for me. I wanted to have a little time to myself for an hour or so. Anyone want to join me?” He looked at Casey as he spoke, ignoring the other two.

“Well, I’m busy as you can see, and Dean needs to help me. Casey might want to join you.”

Casey stared into the dark warm pools just inches from his own eyes since he and Grey were relatively the same height. “I think I’d like that. Whatcha got in mind?”

“Come on. I’ll show you.” Grey walked over to the refrigerator and grabbed two beers, handing one to Casey. Then he took Casey’s hand and headed for the door. “Later guys, and thanks for letting me borrow your boss.”

“Have fun.” Dean and Miriam smiled at each other, hoping things worked out for the two men.

***

Casey and Grey walked in silence, their hands entwined. It was obvious they were headed for the lake at the back of the property.

“Well, I know where we are going, I just wonder why.”

Grey looked at him thoughtfully before sitting down in almost the exact place Casey had been sitting that evening years ago. “I wanted to erase that bad memory from long ago by replacing it with a good memory.” He pulled Casey down onto the grass beside him. “I said I was sorry for what I did, and I meant it. You always just seemed to do something to me that made me want to get your attention, no matter what it took to get it, and that evening, I did it in a terrible way.”

“You’re forgiven, Grey. I already have good memories you’ve given me that I’ll be taking back with me and hopefully we’ll get to make more over the next few weeks.”

“Lay down.”

Casey barely heard the whispered words come from Grey. “Ok.” He lay back, cradling his head in his folded arms underneath it.

Grey reached out and unbuckled his belt, deftly unsnapping his jeans in the same movement. He then slid the zipper of Casey’s jeans down, black eyes never leaving blue ones.

Casey raised his hips as Grey started to slide his jeans down, his boxers not far behind. His cock sprung to life, anticipating the other man’s next move. When Grey leaned forward and blew moist air on the tip of his drooling member, Casey felt like the ground beneath him start spinning, the sky becoming drunken beauty matching his state of mind.

Grey felt Casey’s swift intake of breath and let his mouth engulf the hard cock, watching the pleasure conveyed by the other man’s facial expressions and moans. As he lathered and sucked Casey’s cock, he felt as if his jeans were going to burst from his own erection straining against the zipper. Sliding his hand down, he freed his rock hard member, stroking it in time with the rhythm that he sucked the other man. When he felt Casey’s cock begin to leak and harden even more, he stroked himself faster, matching the other man stroke for stroke as Casey bucked into his mouth. When Grey felt him stiffen as he raised his hips, he prepared himself to take the cum that erupted from the younger man, his hand stroking himself faster and rougher bringing himself to orgasm. When Casey relaxed beneath him, Grey let his head rest on Casey’s stomach, relishing in the taste and smell of his lover.

“Now, that’s what I call making a memory! That was fantastic.” Casey pulled Grey’s head up to him and kissed him hungrily, tasting himself on the other man. “I’ve never felt so wonderful in the full light of day.”

Rising up to look at Casey, Grey smoothed some of the soft silky hair away from the young man’s mouth and ravished the soft pink lips, having no mercy. His hunger would never be satiated when it came to Casey and he didn’t care. “My feelings exactly. Let’s get dressed before someone wonders up on us and we cause them to go into cardiac arrest.”

Casey chuckled, and when Grey eased up from him, he pulled his boxers and jeans up the best he could and stood up. After straightening his clothes, he walked over to where Grey had his back to him, tucking in his shirt. He swiftly ran his hand down the back of Grey’s pants, his fingers teasing the crack of his ass and then boldly exploring until they found the pucker they were looking for. Refusing to think, Casey pushed until his index finger was buried to the knuckle, kneading his insides causing Grey to moan in pleasure.

“If you keep that up, you’re going to make this old man come again.” Grey’s husky tone caused Casey’s own cock to strain against his jeans.

Reaching around Grey, Casey moved the older man’s hands as he loosened the cowboy’s jeans, allowing himself better access to his ass. Sliding the jeans down until Grey’s gorgeous ass was fully exposed, Casey explored with one and then two fingers working Grey until the clenching around his fingers told him that the end was near. Swiftly unzipping his own jeans, he freed his cock and began to rub it against Grey’s ass as he worked his finger inside the man. As expected, Grey clenched down on his fingers one more time before his hips started riding his fingers, the sensation going straight to Casey’s own cock causing him to start coming seconds before the other man clenched one last time and shot his load onto the ground in front of him.

“Damn, college boy. You’re going to kill me at this rate.” After pulling up his jeans that were damp and smelled of Casey’s semen, he turned and kissed the other man once again. “I feel like a college kid myself after that.”

Casey zipped his jeans and leaned into the other man enjoying the musky smell of the two of them. “We better go. I think our hour turned into two.”

“You’re the boss.” Grey leaned in for one more kiss before taking Casey’s hand and heading back to the ranch.

“Casey?”

Surprised by Grey’s use of his name, he stopped. “Is something wrong?” Glancing down at their clasped hands, he held his breath.

“Well, after the first guests leave tomorrow, we’ll have a couple of nights before the second group arrives. Um... oh hell, I was just wondering if you’d like to stay up at the house with me one of those nights or both if you want to.” Grey seemed flustered and uncertain.

Pulling the other man’s hand until they stood chest to chest, Casey answered. “Only if I can sleep with you.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.” Grey pulled Casey toward the back door of the kitchen, his grin almost splitting his face.

***

The next morning was cool and crisp, blue skies making the departing guests sorry to be leaving. Casey noticed Miriam supplying each of them with one of her “goody bags”. He was sure they contained her homemade cinnamon rolls, brownies, and sandwiches for their trip home. Walking out front to say goodbye, he noticed Grey standing to the side, with Chief sitting close by watching the departing guests.

“I hope we see some of this group back next year. Easy to entertain and very entertaining themselves.” Grey had walked to stand beside him.

“Yeah, I think Miriam has become attached to a few of them also. She spent hours this morning preparing food for the road for each couple.” Casey couldn’t help but stare since Grey wore no hat over his thick head of hair and it was falling over his forehead making him look carefree and appetizing. “If you still want me to, I’ll be up to the house as soon as I sit down with Miriam and Dean later and go over the menu for the older guests. We have a whole different idea for them.” His voice held a little uncertainty that didn’t go unnoticed by Grey.

Grey reached to touch his cheek. “I can’t wait. It’ll be nice to have some quality time together without anything or anyone to worry about.”

Casey watched the other man walk away before entering the cafeteria and going to the kitchen where Miriam and Dean were having coffee and arguing about what they were going to do for the next couple of days. “I printed out the menus for the next three weeks. I figured we’d go over them this afternoon so if there were any questions or suggestions, we could take care of them before the next guests arrived. Is that ok with ya’ll?”

“Sure.” Miriam got up and poured Casey a cup of coffee while he got the folder off the small desk in the corner of the kitchen.

The three of them spent less than an hour going over and discussing the menu, making very little changes.

“I guess that’s it. You two relax the next couple of days. You deserve it.” Casey started walking toward his cabin, his excitement of going to stay with Grey barely contained.

It was a little after noon when Casey stepped from his shower. He pulled on jeans and a long-sleeved blue thermal. He was towel drying his hair when his phone went off. It was a text from Jim.

Cassie lost baby. Didn’t want me to call. I knew better. Jim

Casey felt tears prick his eyes, hating himself for not knowing something was wrong. He put on his boots, grabbed a jacket, not bothering with anything else but his wallet and took off jogging to his truck.

The drive to the hospital took almost three hours although there was little traffic and Casey didn’t stop anywhere. When he walked through the door of his twin’s hospital room, his heart broke when he saw the vacant look in Cassie’s eyes when she looked at him. Not stopping until he had her in his arms, they cried together for her and Jim, and the loss of the child they’d wanted for so long. Nothing could be said to ease the pain when it was so raw so they clung to each other like they’d done so many time as children trying to find comfort.

***

Casey tried to stretch out on the small couch in Cassie’s room. He’d sent Jim home to get some rest, assuring him that he’d stay the night. He picked up his phone to see what time it was and noticed he had a message. Opening it, he cringed and felt sick when he saw that it was from Grey.

You blew me off w/0 even an excuse. WTF!

Not blaming the other man for his anger, Casey wrote back.

Emergency! Cassie lost baby

Not knowing anything else to say, Casey hit send and hoped Grey understood. He glanced back at the phone to see that it was almost midnight. Turning over, he once again tried to sleep.

When the nurse came in the next morning around seven, Casey got up and went in the bathroom to wash his face. He then traipsed downstairs to the gift shop in search of a toothbrush and toothpaste. Finding things he needed, he went back to Cassie’s room and found that she’d fallen back asleep. He went into the bathroom and brushed his teeth, borrowing Cassie’s brush that lay on the sink to run through his hair. Washing his face, he thought of the text from Grey. Obviously, he had nothing else to say since he didn’t reply to the explanation for his sudden departure.

When he came out of the bathroom, he was greeted with a huge bouquet of flowers on Cassie’s sliding table next to the bed. Looking around them, he saw Grey sitting awkwardly in a chair beside Cassie’s bed looking like he wasn’t sure if he should wake her or not.

“Did you leave any flowers in the gift shop for anyone else to enjoy?” Casey felt his heart swell when Grey looked up and smiled like he hadn’t seen him in two years instead of a little over twenty-four hours.

Cassie stirred and the two men turned their attention to her.

“Grey? What are you doing here?” Rubbing her eyes, she pushed the button to raise her bed. “Is everything ok at the ranch? Do you need Case to go back right now?”

Grey hurriedly assured her. “Nothing is wrong at the ranch. I just came when Casey told me what happened.”

The confused look on Cassie’s face told both men that they were going to have to do better than that for an explanation.

“Grey and I have been kind of, you know, uh…

“Spit it out, Casey. We’ve been moving toward shaking the sheets and making a relationship. Now, that’s why I’m here. I thought Casey might need me.” Grey’s face was pink, but his voice never wavered. He’d meant every word he said and would’ve probably said more if prompted.

“I see. So, you two finally came out of your corners and began the match? That’s what I always thought would happen anyway. To tell you the truth, I’m happy to see it. Now, you two can stop avoiding and prickling each other and act like grown-up men.”

“Oh, he’s been a man alright. We went to the lake the other day and…”

“Don’t you dare!” Casey’s words echoed in the quiet hospital room.

Cassie and Grey laughed at him and he realized that he was being played. Smiling sheepishly, he walked over and kissed Grey shyly. “I’m glad you came.”

Grey stood up and pulled him into his arms and then kissed him like he always did…like a man hungry for him. “I’m glad I came too.”

Jim walked through the door, surprised to see the two men in a full-blown embrace in his wife’s hospital room.

“Glad you made it, honey. I was beginning to feel a little left out.” Cassie smiled for the first time in forty-eight hours.

“Well, let me remedy that.” Jim leaned over and gently kissed his wife.

Casey and Grey looked at the couple both thinking that they couldn’t believe how each seemed to draw strength from the other.

“I think we’re going to go down and grab some breakfast since Jim is back, if that’s ok.” Casey leaned over and kissed Cassie’s cheek.

“I’m fine. You two go ahead. I’ll see you a little later.” Cassie turned her attention to her husband, dismissing the two men.

The cafeteria of the hospital was busy so Grey and Casey walked a couple of blocks to a small diner.

“I thought you were upset when you didn’t answer my text last night.” Casey stared at Grey where they sat across from each other in the small booth.

“No, all I could think about was getting where you were. I know how close you and Cassie are.” Grey stated this so matter-of-factly that it left Casey speechless for a moment.

Grey studied Casey’s expression. “Is something wrong? Am I assuming too much here?”

Weighing his response, Casey replied, “I thought you didn’t hang for long. You’ve quite the reputation with men.”

“Do tell.” Grey propped his elbow on the table resting his chin on the palm of his hand, intent on what Casey had to say.

Casey was still hesitant to say what he’d been told. “You’re known to not date; you just sleep with someone and leave.” He looked down at the table, dreading Grey’s response.

“Ok, I’ll say it like this. After we eat breakfast, I’m going to get in my truck and go back to the ranch. Before you come back, you decide if you believe that of me. If so, you’ll come back as my chef for the guests only or you’ll come back to see if you can change me if you believe I’m that man, if you think we’re worth it. The ball’s in your court.” Grey starting eating the food the waitress sat in front of him, ending the conversation.

Casey almost choked on every bite of his meal. When he saw Grey push back his chair and throw some bills on the table, he got up and followed the other man out of the diner.

“It’s obvious you don’t think very highly of me Case, although we’ve had our share of intimacy over the last few weeks. I’ll see you back at the ranch.” Grey walked a few steps and turned to look back at the forlorn figure. “By the way, I think the exact words were, ‘fuck and flee’.” He didn’t turn back again.

***

Casey stayed until the next day when they released Cassie He’d spent the night at his apartment since Jim stayed at the hospital. After taking a long hot shower, he’d fallen into bed exhausted, but unable to sleep with Grey’s words running around in his head. He knew he’d insulted Grey and although it was unintentional, it had affected their blossoming relationship a lot. After tossing and turning for most of the night, he fell into a restless sleep.

The rumble of thunder woke him the next morning. After dressing and checking that everything was turned back off, he got in his truck and drove over to Cassie and Jim’s house. He’s gotten the key from Jim so he could straighten up a bit before he arrived with Cassie. After running the vacuum and lightly dusting, he decided to call their restaurant and have food prepared for Jim and Cassie for the next couple of days. He spoke to the manager, instructing them to prepare and deliver two meals daily for the next three days. As soon as he got off the phone, he heard the sound of a vehicle. He greeted the couple who looked ready to drop in their tracks from tiredness.

“Hi, guys. I tidied up a bit before you got here. Cass, you need to go straight to bed. You look exhausted.” Casey took his twin’s arm, surprised when she jerked away from him.

“I’m not a baby. I don’t want to go to bed. Just grab me a throw so I can lie on the couch and watch some television. Being cooped up in that hospital for four days was enough without having to stay in the bedroom.”

Jim took a throw off the back of the couch and draped it over his wife after she’d settled onto the leather couch, two pillows supporting her back. “Do you need anything else, hon?”

“No, go do what you need to do. I don’t need a babysitter.” The tone of her voice told the two men that her emotions were on overload and they understood why.

“I’ll be glad to stay another night if you need me...”

Cassie interrupted her brother before he could finish. “Go back to the ranch and look after things. I’ll be fine. Jim will be close by. Now give me a hug and hit the road. Looks like rain has set in for the day.”

The no-nonsense tone convinced Casey that the couple probably needed time alone to grieve. As he leaned over and pulled his twin into his arms he murmured sweetly, “Love you, Cass. You know where I am if you need me and if you need to talk; I’m the click of a button away.” As he felt a light shudder go through his sister’s body, he knew if he didn’t leave, he’d break down and not be capable of leaving his twin.

Casey turned to Jim as he walked toward the door. “I’ve instructed the restaurant to deliver the both of you two meals a day for the next three days. If you want them at a certain time, just call them. Take care.” He shook his brother-in-law’s hand and hesitating for just a split second, pulled the other man into an embrace trying to give him some of his own strength and patience, feeling that the other man was in for some rough days and nights ahead.

“Bye, guys.” Casey shut the front door behind him before allowing his tears to trickle down his face as he cried for them and for himself too.

***

The rain was coming down in torrents by the time Casey pulled up behind the kitchen at the ranch. He told himself he just didn’t want to get wet by parking at the back door, but he knew he was hiding until he got the courage to face Grey.

Casey jumped out of his truck and ran through the back door of the kitchen coming face to face with the man he was hoping to avoid for at least a few hours. “Oh, hey. Didn’t expect to see you here.”

“Obviously, you were hiding your truck so I wouldn’t know you were back.” Grey didn’t give Casey a chance to deny the statement before continuing. “Everyone is up at the house playing cards and some are even dancing. The older folks are a lot easier to entertain than the young ones. Miriam sent me after more snacks and beer.”

Wanting to throw himself into the older man’s arms, Casey moved away from Grey, opening the cabinet above his head to reveal boxes of crackers, bags of chips, nuts, and mints. He sat several items on the cabinet before opening a big stainless steel pot that sat on the cabinet. Sure enough, the smell of homemade sugar cookies filled the air. Reaching under the counter, he got a big container and filled it with cookies.

“How’d you know those were there?” Grey reached over in the pot and got several cookies, stuffing one in his mouth.

Casey laughed knowingly. “Miriam is never without emergency food. I’ll bet there’re a couple of fresh dips and cheese cut in the refrigerator.” Sure enough, he opened the refrigerator and there were two bowls of dip and a plastic container full of slice squares of cheese ready to go on a tray. After arranging the cheese on a tray a serving dish, he covered it carefully with wax paper and looked for something to put the chips and things in, to make them easier to carry.

As if reading his thoughts, Grey walked into the pantry area and brought out a large plastic tote. The two men made short work of filling the tote with the goodies.

“Take that out front to Dean’s truck, and I’ll grab a couple of cases of beer.” Grey pushed the tote toward Casey and walked over to the cooler at the back of the large kitchen.

Casey put the tote in the backseat of the truck realizing that if Grey had been in his own truck, he’d probably not have stopped at the cafeteria but went straight to his cabin. Resolving himself to the situation, he climbed into the passenger seat knowing it would be rude not to go to the main house and help with the guests.

Grey stowed the beer away in the back of the truck, not caring if it got wet, and got in the driver’s seat. “You don’t want to hide out for a while?” He couldn’t help himself; he was hurt that Casey didn’t want him to know he’d gotten back.

Feeling his face grow red, Casey spoke honestly, hoping to make Grey understand how he felt about things. “I’m sorry for what I said yesterday. When I came here, I’d prepared myself for a ‘fuck and flee’ kind of thing. That’s what you’re reputed for… but then you kept spending time with me and I started getting my hopes up for more. I’m not good at talking about feelings but I’ve got feelings for you and frankly, I’m scared.”

Grey hadn’t even cranked the truck. When Casey started talking, he gave the young man his undivided attention, wanting to understand what was happening, if anything, between the two of them. When Casey stopped talking Grey stayed quiet for a moment, mulling over the confession of feelings and fear.

“Jace told me it would come to this if I didn’t cut ties the first night you were here. He told me that I changed overnight, that I was a different man. Things that I’d never noticed became important to me and I showed my emotions more than I’d ever done before, even to him. Since you’ve been honest about you feelings, I’ll try to do the same. First, I deny the ‘fuck and flee’ rumor. I wasn’t celibate, but Jace and one other person were the only men I ever had sex with and sex was it, not love.”

Casey turned, placing his jean-clad knee on the seat between them, intent on what Grey was saying. “You and Jace must also be good friends to be able to handle that kind of relationship, no strings attached.”

“Jace and I tried. We thought it was going to be more until one night by the lake; I kissed a college kid and knew Jace wasn’t the one. Instead of leading him on, I told him the truth. He chose to stay in the sexual part of the relationship of his own accord. It eventually fizzled out after he got tired of me calling him ‘college boy’ in the throes of passion.” Grey reached out on the seat between them to gently squeeze Casey’s knee. “That’s why he told you when he met you up at the house that night, that he’d only heard you called ‘college boy’. We argued later outside at the ranch before you showed up.”

“I heard you.” Casey said the words softly.

“You heard us? Why didn’t you say so? Then why do you think I just want sex? If you heard what was said, you know I’ve carried a torch for years, even came to the restaurant just to get a glimpse of you or exchange a few words. I was at your college graduation.”

“What? You’ve got to be kidding. How were you there and I didn’t see you?” Casey was shocked.

“I sat toward the back. Didn’t you ever wonder where the large bouquet of wildflowers came from that had the rainbow ribbon around the vase?”

“That was you? I just thought the ribbon was coincidence. The only thing that even jarred me was the card. No longer a college boy, but a man. I convinced myself it wasn’t you.”

“Yeah, it was me, and I was so proud.” Grey trailed off, embarrassed for revealing so much.

“So, do you think a cowboy and a cook can make a relationship work?” Casey leaned closer to Grey, waiting for his answer.

“No doubt. Let’s start working on it right now.” Grey leaned into Casey their lips saying what their hearts already knew. They were meant to be joined.

 

One Year Later

“What’s wrong with you? You’ve burned three gravies and messed up two batches of rolls. Get your head out of your ass. We leave for the ranch tomorrow. Grey wants us there for the party he’s having for his guests.” Cassie looked at her twin with genuine concern.

Casey plopped down on a stool in the kitchen of the restaurant. “I think it’s finally happened.”

Sitting down next to him, Cassie asked, “What?”

“He’s cheating. I missed two weekends in a row seeing him and when I went to the ranch last week, he acted all funny, like he was hiding something. He went out to the barn one morning and he told me he’d be back in a moment, he had to talk with his foreman. I didn’t even know he’d hired a foreman. Grey’s always ran things himself. I started to follow him. I stood on the porch and watched him walk toward the barn and the foreman walked out to meet him.”

“So, what’s so about that?” Cassie was confused.

“He’s gorgeous Cass, and he’s a cowboy just like Grey. He even saddle broke Mercury for Grey and Grey doesn’t let anyone near Mercury but Chief and me, and of course himself.” Casey was plainly upset.

“Looking down at her hands, Cassie said, “Don’t fret over anything until you know it to be the truth. You know better. Anyway, I’ve seen no signs of his affection for you waning. He’s crazy for you.”

“I thought so too. Now, I’m not so sure. I think I’m going to head home. The thought of a drink and television sounds inviting.”

“Oh no you’re not!” Cassie shouted louder than she intended. “Go wash your hands and we’ll go out into the restaurant and have a drink before Jim comes to get me. We deserve it.” She waited anxiously for Casey to agree.

“Ok, just one, and then I’m going home.” Casey noticed Cassie looking at her watch before taking her apron off, pulling her hair net off, and then fluffing up her hair.

Ten minutes later, the two sat at a small table for four in the back of the restaurant, nursing a drink. “You know you’re wrong. He loves you. I can tell.”

“Cass, he’s never told me that. I’m the idiot that said it. I shouldn’t have confessed my love so soon like some lovesick teen. We were barely six months into our relationship. Then at Christmas, I gave him that ring. I moved too fast for him. I just know it. Maybe we’ll have a chance to talk tomorrow. I hope so.”

Casey noticed people in the restaurant murmuring and some of them even getting up from their tables, moving toward the side of the restaurant closer to the bar. His mouth dropped open when he saw Grey walking toward the back of the restaurant, cowboy hat on, leading Mercury by his bridle. “What the hell? Has he lost his mind?” Casey looked at his twin whose eyes glittered with tears.

Leading the horse as close to Casey as he could, Grey stopped. He looked at Casey and then Cassie. “Will he do for a husband price?”

Leaving his seat, Casey walked to Grey, and hugged him tightly before putting his arms around Mercury’s neck and murmuring into the warm fur of the beautiful animal. “He’ll do just fine.”

 

finis

A big thanks for the time and effort put forth by Cole and Lisa.  Their suggestions and work made my words the story it is now.  Thanks guys.  smile.png
Copyright © 2014 joann414; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

What a sweet and heartwarming story. I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Terrific story, Jo Ann! I loved reading it! I just love the stories that have a HEA. :2thumbs:

 

Loved the play on the names Cassie and Casey! lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/06/2014 07:36 AM, Valkyrie said:
What a sweet and heartwarming story. I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)
Thanx Val. WAs actually for the next antho but realised I was a month earlier. :P. So sweet of you to read aond review:)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/06/2014 07:42 AM, Lisa said:
Terrific story, Jo Ann! I loved reading it! I just love the stories that have a HEA. :2thumbs:

 

Loved the play on the names Cassie and Casey! lol

Thanx girl. Hugs to you for all of your hard work and support.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

This story has so much heart and a beautiful setting. The characters are so vulnerable and yet strong willed. It was a joy to read and see the poignant, deliberate pacing creating such tenderness. Great job crafting this Jo Ann. Brava!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/06/2014 12:46 PM, Cole Matthews said:
This story has so much heart and a beautiful setting. The characters are so vulnerable and yet strong willed. It was a joy to read and see the poignant, deliberate pacing creating such tenderness. Great job crafting this Jo Ann. Brava!!!
Thanks for such a sweet review Cole and thanks for all your help.:)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/06/2014 10:35 PM, avidreadr said:
Loved this story. Sad about Cassie losing the baby, but that was the only down note.
I'm so glad you enjoyed it avid. I love happy endings, but sometimes a throw in a little sadness just to remind myself all is not perfect in life, even when we're happy ourselves. Thank you!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Guest Arazon

Posted (edited)

.

Edited by Arazon
Link to comment
On 05/06/2014 11:52 PM, Arazon said:
Awesome, great blend of everything. Really liked Grey’s character, as well as the bond between the twins. I particularly enjoyed the build up between C & G (especially Grey’s admissions towards the end) :-)
Thank you so much for your thoughts and reading and reviewing. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

There's nothing I like better than a good old fashioned love story. And this was a good one! Great characters, good storyline, and just a little bit of a reminder that not everything has a happy ending. I kind of wish the last part didn't involve losing the baby, but it's certainly real life. When you told me I had to read your antho story I thought you were a bit early, but I'm glad you went ahead and put it out now. And it just means that we get to look forward to another story coming up soon! Good work as always, Jo Ann, and a high-five to Cole and Lisa for their help!

Link to comment
On 05/07/2014 12:01 PM, mickey1952 said:
There's nothing I like better than a good old fashioned love story. And this was a good one! Great characters, good storyline, and just a little bit of a reminder that not everything has a happy ending. I kind of wish the last part didn't involve losing the baby, but it's certainly real life. When you told me I had to read your antho story I thought you were a bit early, but I'm glad you went ahead and put it out now. And it just means that we get to look forward to another story coming up soon! Good work as always, Jo Ann, and a high-five to Cole and Lisa for their help!
Ho sweet Mickey. I need to write more, and this gave me an opportunity. I'm a sap for a love story. You're right about Cole and Lisa. They're a great team. Hugs
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another heartwarming love story from you. It was, as usual, amazing. I loved the conversations between college boy and Grey. But the best thing I felt about this story was the romantic ending. It was damn cute. Great Job Jo Ann. Keep writing such great love stories. They are actually fun to read:)

Link to comment
On 05/19/2014 12:42 AM, sacredlove said:
Another heartwarming love story from you. It was, as usual, amazing. I loved the conversations between college boy and Grey. But the best thing I felt about this story was the romantic ending. It was damn cute. Great Job Jo Ann. Keep writing such great love stories. They are actually fun to read:)
Thanx hun. Your nice reviews make my day!!!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..