Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Moonlight Shadows - 1. Act 1 Scenes 1-6

Act 1

Prologue – A Blank Canvas

The play opens with the house lights still in operation. This scene should introduce the characters in the play with only a few words spoken. A Central Spotlight appears. No one is present on stage, there is a desk and a lamp beside it. B/O. Three Spotlights Appear. Two seats on the spotlights on the left and right. B/O. The Central Spotlight appears and this contains a man in a black suit , his name is The Writer. The writer is sat writing at his desk with a quill at his hand and his lamp off. His lamp remains off till the end of the scene. B/O. The Left Spotlight appears with the character called Rita stood in it. She is looking very young and energetic. She stares at the writer’s space , which is in darkness. B/O. The Right Spotlight appears with the character called Jacob sat in it. Jacob is sat on the side of the chair with the front of his body facing the writers space which is blank. He as with Rita , looks youthful. B/O. The Central Spotlight appears with just the writer sat in it , He has a glass of water. He takes a drink and picks up this time a biro pen. B/O. The left spotlight appears with Rita looking quite a bit older and is now wearing old “granny” glasses. B/O. The Right spotlight appears with Jacob looking older with an old man’s cardigan on and old man’s glasses. B/O.

The Central spotlight appears with the Writer, this time having a laptop or modern notebook. B/O. The left spotlight appears , Rita appearing much older now , with her granny stockings on and walking with a walking stick or walking aid , she looks into the writers space. She looks angry. B/O. The right spotlight appears. Jacob appears much bolder or with white hair , he is stood like a cripple. He stares angrily at the writer’s space. B/O. The 3 Spotlights appear. The writer is still writing. Rita and Jacob approach the table. B/O. The writer turns his lamp on. He places his notebook or laptop in one of the drawers of the desk and stands. Rita and Jacob see him stand ( they are currently stood in the central spotlight ) and slowly but surely flee. The writer walks around the table and sits on the front of it. The stage is only lit by the lamp ( the lamplight can be represented by the houselights ) , giving us an idea of solitude and that the writer creates his own light. Which he can turn off at any time.

Writer

The wondering nature of life. I would sigh but I haven’t the breath. I hear you asking what just happened. Are you expecting me to explain

It will explain itself in this process we call theatre. I am not here to entertain you. I am merely here to watch. To keep the house clean, to keep it in order by doing things

like turning a lamp off.

He turns the lamp off and the house lights fade. We hear a bus parking noise.

Scene 1 – The Bus

The writer boards the bus, he ignores the driver who doesn’t see him and sits in the front side seat on the right. Another man was already sat on the bus is sat at the back of the bus in the corner.

A Wispy but affectionate old man called Jacob half boards the bus. He waves stage right to Rita, an old woman who is standing just off the bus.

Jacob

See you later my dear, I hope you enjoyed our time together.

Rita

You know I always do. Will see you at some point, I will visit soon!

Jacob

I look forward to it, so long.

Rita

Farewell.

Rita exits stage right. Jacob walks past the driver.

Driver

Morning.

Jacob

Oh sorry, didn’t realise. Single, Daventry.

Driver

Long way mate. Well, four hours. Depends on timing. Ah well, long bus routes take long time. £9.90 please.

Jacob

Wonderful, I’ve always wanted a bus journey that long.

Jacob sits down on the first seating facing forward on the left. He smiles and waves outside the window at Rita who is offstage. B/O

Scene 2 – The Bus

The Fashionable Girl ( FG ) Enters. She is constantly pouting and giving evil glances at people she is on her phone.

FG

You what I mean! I mean! He was so wonderful. Errrr.. Single To Northampton please. No Darling I was talking to the bus driver.

Driver

£7.80 please.

FG

Anyway, Talk to me darling! Oh my god you lucky…

The Driver Deliberately Coughs

FG

Oh hang on. What!

Driver

£7.80 please.

FG

Oh sorry , I wasn’t listening! (Into her phone) Four times in one night?

He prints her ticket

Thanks Darling

Driver

Don’t call me darling.

Writer

I wouldn’t call him darling because he has anger management issues. Its best not to annoy those who are controlling your mode of transport. But what am I to say, I’m not even here. Really.

She obviously doesn’t hear him and the driver doesn’t hear him either. No one can hear him. Except Jacob.

FG

(Back on phone) Ok. What!? Monoglian Cluster? No way…

Writer

I sometimes wonder if this is the epiphany that everyone is waiting for. A drunken young woman moaning about sexual positions. Can I really write about this?

FG

Like , Oh my god!

She puts the phone down. B/O

Scene 3

A Nurse boards the bus. She is anxious. The Driver gives her evils.

Driver

Where you off to.

Nurse

Earls Barton. Single.

Driver

Clock on my machine isn’t working. What’s the time.

Nurse

4.20

Driver

Great, already 10 minutes late. Have you got the money or not?

Nurse

How much?

She rummages through her purse.

Driver

£5.80

Nurse

I only have a £5 note. Bugger. Can you just let me on? I’m visiting my brother he only just got out of hospital. Can anyone lend me 80p

An awkward silence. Jacob stands. Hands her a £1 coin.

Jacob

I have a pound coin.

Writer

Random acts of human kindness.

Jacob

Keep the change for yourself my dear. You look like you need it.

Nurse

Thanks, I owe you one. What's your name and address, I’ll pay you back.

Jacob

Just forget about it. Okay?

Writer

She needs the money. She intends to pay it back.

Nurse

Wow… erm thank you.

She sits behind the writer and opposite Jacob. B/O

Scene 4 – The Bus

The Writer scribbles a lot faster than usual. The fashionable girl takes a phone call.

FG

Hello?

No Answer

What’s up? Kamal! What is it?

A man appears in a spotlight. It’s Kamal. He is dressed in his funeral suit. He is sad.

Kamal

Minerva. Minerva. It’s a bit hard to say. Mum passed , No that’s not the way to say it.

Writer

You do realise that she’s as thick as two short planks. People these days.

FG

Kamal … What?

Kamal

Mum’s crossed over the border.

FG

Oh no! What … To France?

Writer

Oh for god’s sake woman!

Jacob laughs.

Kamal

No… to the afterlife…

FG

Err... What?

Writer

No wonder you failed GCSE English four times!

FG

Oh! She …?

Kamal

Yes.

FG

Oh…

She cries. Kamal Exits. The spotlight is removed.

Jacob

Are you ok my dear?

FG

Oh I’m just fine , thanks.

Jacob

Are you sure?

Man

May I be of any assistance.

Everyone jumps , no one realised he was there except the driver and the writer. The writer knows all.

Writer

Driver, intervene.

Driver

Oh , he was on here before you all. He boarded at the station. Meh, if he’s willing to pay more money then I have no problem.

Man

Yes I did , Do you have a problem with that.

Jacob

Young man. That is hardly the attitude to have.

Man

I think not , in the words of the late great Arthur Conan Doyle , elementary , My dear Wattson.

Jacob

Jacob.

Man

Jacob. Whatever. You have an argumentative nature possibly caused by an unhappy and beaten childhood with a broken heart. Yes that’s correct. Am I correct.

Writer

By George, This man may be even more philosophical than I am. Good Lord, I must stop myself. But its so delicious!

He scribbles madly.

Jacob

Why you , you are quite right.

FG

Ok first of all this is my dilemma and I don’t want anyone butting in with it ok!

Man

But you see. I can. I’m a PhD Psychiatrist. Do you need someone to talk to?

FG

No! I don’t have a mental problem.

Man

Ok. If that’s what you want, I won’t stand in your way.

Writer

That sorted that problem out. I love it when a plan comes together.

B/O

Scene 5 – The Bus

The writer is busy scribbling his writings.

Jacob

Excuse me sir.

The writer ignores. Jacob walks and sits next to the writer. The other passengers are looking very strangely at Jacob.

Excuse me , I’m trying to talk to you.

The writer scowls.

Writer

What.

Jacob

Who are you?

Writer

You can’t see me , I am a figment of your imagination.

Jacob

I can certainly see you and you are certainly not a figment. And I ask you again. Who are you?

Writer

Ok can you see. Now can you leave me alone.

Jacob

Who...

Writer

(Interrupting) Just leave me alone! Can’t you leave me alone , can’t you see I’m working. I’m the writer. Now go away!

Jacob

Thanks. That is all I wanted to know.

He walks back to his seat. B/O.

Act 1 Scene 6 – A Bus

Driver

Next stop, Northampton.

Nurse

Thanks.

Driver

You’re welcome.

A group of 5 yobs board the bus.

Yob A1

How long till Northampton.

Driver

Hang on.

Yob A2

Come on we don’t want to wait here all day!

Yob A3

You’ll be late!

Yob A4

And you don’t want that.

Yob A5

Do you?

Driver

I’m only one man! About an hour. Direct route.

Yob A1

Well. That’s not quick enough.

Yob A2

Yeah! Not quick enough.

Yob A3

Can’t you speed?

Driver

No I can’t. I can’t speed for you.

Yob A4

Why not!

Driver

Because It’s illegal.

Writer

I’ve had enough of these so called yobs.

He stands up and walks to the front of the bus. He enters a surreal world which only The Writer, the yobs and Jacob can see it.

Writer

Turn around and look at me boys.

They do so.

You have two choices. One, I leave you alone and you get on and nothing has to go wrong. Two, I kill you all by removing you from existence itself. Your choice.

Yob A5

What if we don’t choose?

Writer

Then I shall remove you anyway. Everybody knows that everybody dies.

All A Yobs

Yeah right!

Writer

I did not want to do this. But you have pushed me too far…

He takes out an eraser and for the first time he rubs something out of his notebook. He is mind controlling the A yobs.

All A Yobs

Life tells us to kill ourselves.

Jacob

No don’t do that to them. They are only children.

Writer

Oh yes I forgot. Humans show compassion. I was looking forward to that.

He takes out a pencil and writes out something.

All A Yobs

Life tells us to go home and stay safe.

Writer

I was going to enjoy that.

Jacob

Well it was inhumane.

B/O

Writer

I’m not human.

Jacob

Right. Sure you're not...

Copyright © 2010 Johnathan Colourfield; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..