Jump to content
    K.C.
  • Author
  • 1,844 Words
  • 7,344 Views
  • 43 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shepherd's Crook - 2. Chapter 2

“Wake up! Wake up! Wake up, sleepy head!” Jonathan shouted from the bottom step as his voice carried up to Gibby’s bedroom.

There was shuffling, followed by a thump, and then a loud groan from upstairs. “Oh my god, Dad, really? It’s not even eight o’clock yet.” Gibby grumbled from over the banister, glaring down at his father.

Gibby’s t-shirt and boxer shorts were crumpled and his hair stuck out in every direction, making a halo around his head in the morning light.

“I told Dr. Warner that I would meet him at the hospital this morning.”

“You’re getting started really early. I thought you didn’t have to report to work until I started school on Monday?” Gibby asked between muffled yawns.

While all of Gibby’s friends were heading off to college, he was starting his senior year of high school for the second time. The fire stole more than just the last ten months of his life.

“The doctor wants me to meet the staff and get acquainted with the hospital’s protocol before throwing me to the wolves on Monday.” Jonathan shook his head and chuckled when Gibby scratched at his stomach before stumbling back to his bed. “Hey, I’m not finished with you…” He waited for Gibby’s head to appear at the top of the stairs again. “Why don’t you meet me in town for lunch today?”

“Sure, Dad, text me the address and the time,” Without waiting for Jonathan’s response, Gibby went back to bed for a few more hours sleep.

****

Becker Street Grill was busy for a small town café. Four of its five sidewalk tables were already filled, but only three of the inside booths had customers. The warm summer day was pleasant, but a little too hot for sitting outside in the direct sunlight. The thought wasn’t very appealing to Gibby, so he opted to find a table inside.

Admiring the corny decor, Gibby chuckled as he read the quirky slogans written on antique tin signs that covered the restaurant’s walls while he waited to be seated.

“Is this your first time here?” The deep voice jerked Gibby back to reality. Startled by the question, Gibby jumped as he whirled around on his heels. Swallowing a nervous chuckle when he noticed the good looking guy standing just inches away from him, Gibby’s tongue darted out, licking his lips that were suddenly too dry.

The name on the waiter’s plastic nametag said, ‘Scott.’

Too nervous to face him, Gibby glanced from Scott, back to the humorous signs, before nodding his auburn head. He closed his eyes for a brief second, trying to compose himself, but when he glanced over his shoulder again; the guy was intensely watching him.

The sudden rush of blood pumping through Gibby’s body wasn’t only pounding in his ears, it had his groin stirring to life. The waiter was the same height as him as they stood there looking into each other’s eyes. When Scott tilted his head and lowered his voice, “C’mon, I’ll take care of you,” Gibby almost groaned.

The images that flashed through Gibby’s mind had nothing to do with lunch or food or anything else you could order off the menu.

As Scott walked the few steps to an empty table, Gibby’s eyes dropped down to the guy’s tight black jeans. “How’s this look to you?” The waiter held out his hand indicating the booth in the center of the restaurant, but Gibby knew the other meaning behind his question.

“Yep, looks good to me.” Gibby suddenly blushed. It had been a while since he flirted with anyone.

Scott placed a bundle of silverware wrapped inside a napkin on the table beside a large vinyl menu. “So, what can I get you?”

Gibby glanced at the single setting and frowned, “You can get me another place setting.”

The waiter raised an eyebrow and placed another bundle on the table. “Do you want to start with a soda while you wait?” Scott gave Gibby a wink. He wasn’t much older than Gibby, but sporting a few days stubble over the sharp angles of his jaw made the guy look older than he was.

“Can you bring me a Coke and he’ll take an ice tea.” Gibby bit at his lower lip to keep from grinning.

“Coming right up,” Scott gave him another quick wink before going to fill his drink order.

Stirring his soda with his straw, Gibby watched Scott tend to the other tables while he waited for his dad to show up. Scott’s long legs moved quickly as he carried trays, refilled drinks and cleared away used dishes. Every few minutes Scott glanced over to see if Gibby was still watching him, which he was.

On the second refill, Scott gave Gibby a sympathetic smile. “Maybe he changed his mind?”

“I really don’t think he stood me up,” Laughter lit up Gibby’s handsome face. “Maybe I should go ahead and order since I’m sure that he’ll be here at any moment.”

Disappointment briefly flashed across Scott’s face, but he pushed it aside and opened his notepad and held his pencil, ready to take their orders.

“I’ll take the grilled chicken sandwich with fries and he wants tuna on wheat.”

“Fries for him too?”

Gibby looked up from the menu and laughed. “Fries, no, bring him a side salad with vinaigrette dressing on the side.”

“Sounds like you know what he likes.” Scott forced a smile.

“I know him pretty well.”

Just after Scott disappeared into the kitchen to prepare their order, Jonathan came rushing through the front door. “Sorry I’m late.”

Shrugging his shoulders, Gibby glanced towards the back room to see if Scott had noticed his dad come in. “Don’t worry about it. The one thing that I learned about having parents that are doctors is that you guys are always late.”

Jonathan handed Gibby a small white bag across the table. “I stopped by the pharmacy and got your prescription filled.”

Anger flashed in Gibby’s eyes. “You said I could stop taking the meds. Dad, they make me feel like a zombie!”

Gibby snatched the bag from Jonathan’s hand and dropped it onto the bench beside his leg.

“I said that we would talk about it--”

“But Dad--”

“Gibby,” Jonathan’s voice was stern, “you were screaming in your sleep last night, again.”

“Then I’ll take them before I go to bed, but I’m not going to a new school in a psychotic daze.”

Jonathan opened his mouth, prepared to continue their argument when Scott arrived with their food. Noticing the family resemblance between Gibby and Jonathan, the waiter chuckled at himself for feeling jealous. “If there’s anything else I can get you guys, please just give me a shout.”

Steam rose off Gibby’s grilled chicken when he lifted the bun off the sandwich to add some ketchup to the center. Since his food was still too hot to start eating, his gaze drifted to the patrons outside. Jonathan followed his son’s longing gaze.

“We could have sat outside if you wanted.” Jonathan said softly.

“It’s too hot out there.”

“It’s pretty warm in here too.” Jonathan noticed the pink flush in Gibby’s cheeks. “You could take your sweat-jacket off.”

Gibby glanced nervously around the nearly empty restaurant. A young couple came into the restaurant while he was waiting for Jonathan. They sat in the back, lost in conversation. Scott had returned to the kitchen leaving Jonathan and Gibby in the dining room; the only other customers near them were three little old ladies, but the women giggled and chatted among themselves.

Picking at his fries, Gibby blew on them before popping a few into his mouth and immediately gasped. “Ooooh hot!” Grabbing his soda, Gibby downed half of the glass.

Jonathan watched Gibby while he ate. No amount of pills or therapy was going to ever make his son whole again, but Gibby needed to learn how to deal with his scars, not just pretend like the fire never happened.

Gibby’s scars were far more extensive then the burns marring the side of Jonathan’s face. He had spent nearly six months in the hospital recovering from second and third degree burns over forty percent of his body. Gibby had lost more than just his home, he almost lost his life.

“I also talked to Dr. Warner about you using the therapy pool at the hospital--”

“Not happening!” Gibby mumble with a mouth full of chicken.

“The pool closes to the patients at six o’clock. He said that you could use it after hours to work on loosening the scar tissue”

Gibby listened while he ate.

“C’mon, Gib, I know you’re dying to get back in the water again.” Jonathan hoped the prospect of swimming would be enough to cheer up his son.

“Maybe,” Gibby shrugged his shoulders out of his jacket, letting the soft cotton material drop behind him onto the bench seat. His dad was right. Gibby had been hiding behind his long sleeves as if they were a security blanket.

Jonathan smiled. He tried not to react to Gibby letting down his guard. “A maybe is better than a flat out no. This is a chance for a new start. Speaking of new starts, are you ready to start school on Monday?”

Gibby rolled his eyes and groaned, bringing a smile to Jonathan’s face. He liked to see his teenage son acting like a kid again. It was too often that Gibby acted more like a crabby old man instead of the carefree teen that he should be.

“Yeah, I’m ready.”

“Good, I think that--”

“Oh my star!” A woman shrieked inside the restaurant.

One of the old ladies was standing near their table, staring at the massive scars covering Gibby’s bare arms. Her raised voice drew the attention of the other patrons inside and a few of the ones outside stood up to glance in to see what was going on.

The color drained from Gibby’s face before being quickly replaced by searing hot anger. “Well, Dr. Robinson, have you found a cure for this flesh eating bacteria that I contracted?” He spoke loud enough for everyone to hear him.

“Gibby!” Jonathan hissed at his son before facing the growing crowd. “No, he doesn’t--”

“Aaaand I wonder if I’m still contagious?” Now Gibby’s face was on fire. His body trembled as he fought to pull his jacket back on. Before the sleeves covered his arms, Scott appeared, ready to take control of the situation until he got a good look at Gibby’s burned skin.

“Oh god, what’s wrong with him?” Scott balked at the sight of Gibby’s severe scars.

Gibby pushed his way through the people gathering to gawk at him, fleeing the restaurant.

“There’s nothing wrong with him!” Gibby heard Jonathan shout as he hit the door at a flat out run. Jonathan’s eyes flashed to the small minded town folk of Shepherd’s Crook. “He survived a fire that should have killed him…it would have killed any one of you!”

strong>Thanks for reading, I hope you are liking it so far. Let me know what you think. http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/34479-shepherds-crook/
KC
Copyright © 2012 K.C.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 46
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



On 04/10/2012 07:26 AM, carringtonrj said:
Building up nicely. Hint of possible romance in the air; dark issues to deal with too. Expert storytelling. :)
Jeez you're quick, I literally just hit post! :P Hints? I gave hints? :lol: I think you are going to like Gibby. He's awesome. Thanks for reading!
Link to comment

Only the second chapter but I already love Gibby, with his scars and insecurities and all. Looking forward to seeing where you go on from here. Keep up the great work! :)

Link to comment
On 04/10/2012 07:33 AM, EmDee said:
Only the second chapter but I already love Gibby, with his scars and insecurities and all. Looking forward to seeing where you go on from here. Keep up the great work! :)
Thanks EmDee, Gibby is a great character, flaws and all. I hope everyone loves him as much as I do. There is a lot in store for him. Thanks so much for reading. :D
Link to comment

Gibby is so funny! I re-read the first chapter and his humor and good personality shine through in both chapters. It's amazing he didn't lose his sense of humor after being through what he's been through. I think most other teens (probably adults too) who have lived thru losing his mother, his home and almost his life, would still be in a deep depression. I'm assuming that's what the meds are supposed to help with? I think Gibby's very brave.

 

I especially loved him teasing Scott, lol, that was fun to read. But his outburst and the old lady's outburst was really uncalled for. Even though they were shocked to see his scars, just don't say anything.

 

Awesome chapter KC! :) And everytime I read Gibby's name I think of Gibby from "ICarly". Go figure! lol

Link to comment
On 04/10/2012 11:51 AM, Lisa said:
Gibby is so funny! I re-read the first chapter and his humor and good personality shine through in both chapters. It's amazing he didn't lose his sense of humor after being through what he's been through. I think most other teens (probably adults too) who have lived thru losing his mother, his home and almost his life, would still be in a deep depression. I'm assuming that's what the meds are supposed to help with? I think Gibby's very brave.

 

I especially loved him teasing Scott, lol, that was fun to read. But his outburst and the old lady's outburst was really uncalled for. Even though they were shocked to see his scars, just don't say anything.

 

Awesome chapter KC! :) And everytime I read Gibby's name I think of Gibby from "ICarly". Go figure! lol

Gibby is an amazing kid. I hope he wins everyone over :) Even with the bad things that he has lived through he is a surviver. I'm glad you're like it so far.
Link to comment

Wow. This chapter was heartbreaking. I really feel for Gibby. This chapter made a lot of things clear. I hope things start looking up for him.

Link to comment
On 04/10/2012 12:19 PM, Rebelghost85 said:
Wow. This chapter was heartbreaking. I really feel for Gibby. This chapter made a lot of things clear. I hope things start looking up for him.
Gibby is a tough kid, but he's still a kid. His dad was right that he survived what most people wouldn't have. Thanks for reading! :)
Link to comment

OMG... poor Gibby... i hope things get

much better... i can't wait when he start school

next monday...

Link to comment
On 04/10/2012 02:03 PM, unlikelyu said:
OMG... poor Gibby... i hope things get

much better... i can't wait when he start school

next monday...

Thanks Unlikeyu, Gibby is a tough kid but he's still just a kid. Back to school will be posted on Monday. Thanks for reading :)
Link to comment

This chapter made my train ride to work this morning so much better.laugh.png I was grinning through most of it (I wonder if any other passengers noticed?). The dialogue between Gibby and the waiter/Scott was wonderful. I especially enjoyed Gibby's inner monologue and the flirting, and I'm glad you have kept the humor I recognize from Mr. Anonymous.

 

This Scott, will he be a love interest? He seemed like he could take on the part. Unfortunately he didn't seem to react all that well to Gibby's scars. But burn scares can be pretty severe looking and it might take a while to get used to see if he has never seen any. And he has auburn hair - is that a 'thing' of yours? I hope he will return, yeah I think he will - next chapter?

 

More background info in this chapter too. Since I'm not completely familiar with the US school system, how old is Gibby? 18? And we found out it's been ten months since the fire, and that he is suffering mentally as well as physically from it. But I still want to know more.

 

Oh, and old ladies should know when to keep their mouths shut! They should be old enough to know not to stare and definitely not to shout out like that - rude! Gibby wasn't overreacting. He must be so tired of all people looking and acting strange around him when they see his scars. No wonder he prefers to hide them.

 

(One more thing - this chapter was too short. It didn't last all the way to work. I had to stare out the window for ten minutes with nothing more to read.tongue.png )

Link to comment
On 04/10/2012 11:12 PM, Gulab Jamun said:
Gibby is FUNNY! I wonder what he was like before the fire...He is still awesome though!thumbsup.gif
Gibby is a good kid. I think everyone is going to like him and root for him. :D
Link to comment
On 04/11/2012 02:28 AM, sorgbarn said:
This chapter made my train ride to work this morning so much better.laugh.png I was grinning through most of it (I wonder if any other passengers noticed?). The dialogue between Gibby and the waiter/Scott was wonderful. I especially enjoyed Gibby's inner monologue and the flirting, and I'm glad you have kept the humor I recognize from Mr. Anonymous.

 

This Scott, will he be a love interest? He seemed like he could take on the part. Unfortunately he didn't seem to react all that well to Gibby's scars. But burn scares can be pretty severe looking and it might take a while to get used to see if he has never seen any. And he has auburn hair - is that a 'thing' of yours? I hope he will return, yeah I think he will - next chapter?

 

More background info in this chapter too. Since I'm not completely familiar with the US school system, how old is Gibby? 18? And we found out it's been ten months since the fire, and that he is suffering mentally as well as physically from it. But I still want to know more.

 

Oh, and old ladies should know when to keep their mouths shut! They should be old enough to know not to stare and definitely not to shout out like that - rude! Gibby wasn't overreacting. He must be so tired of all people looking and acting strange around him when they see his scars. No wonder he prefers to hide them.

 

(One more thing - this chapter was too short. It didn't last all the way to work. I had to stare out the window for ten minutes with nothing more to read.tongue.png )

Sorgbarn I love your reviews! Glad to help your commute go a little quicker (even if it didn't make it all the way to work) ;)

 

Gibby is 18 and because of the fire he didn't finish his last year of school. There will be some more backstory on him but I didn't want to overload the readers...just sprinkle it along like pixie-dust :P

 

The auburn hair :whistle: My hubby is auburn and that seems to find it's way into a lot of my stories...don't know how that happens 0:)

 

Surprising some of the worst things I've heard have come out of the mouths of little old ladies who should know better! I cringe when they say: I don't mean to be rude...that means "I'm going to say something very stupid, rude and probably inappropriate" :lol:

 

Thanks for reading!

Link to comment

I'm totally hooked..

Gibby..I like the name a lot..just his name tells you that he is a good person...it suits him just prefectly..

:)

Link to comment
On 04/12/2012 10:16 AM, rogi24g said:
I'm totally hooked..

Gibby..I like the name a lot..just his name tells you that he is a good person...it suits him just prefectly..

:)

Thanks, there is still more to come. I'll be posting a chapter every Monday. Gibby is awesome. I think the readers are going to really like him. :D
Link to comment

Sorry it's took me so long to get round to this.:hug: It's an awesome story. I have already said that. Poor Gibby, in a lot of ways, he's like me. I dont want the drugs, I dont necessarily want the therapy and I have the horrible scars too. I liked his reaction to the people staring. But I just want to hug him :hug:

Excellent KC :) Will read the next tomorrow :):hug:

Link to comment
On 04/16/2012 03:45 AM, Mark92 said:
Sorry it's took me so long to get round to this.:hug: It's an awesome story. I have already said that. Poor Gibby, in a lot of ways, he's like me. I dont want the drugs, I dont necessarily want the therapy and I have the horrible scars too. I liked his reaction to the people staring. But I just want to hug him :hug:

Excellent KC :) Will read the next tomorrow :):hug:

Thank you Marky, I'm glad that you're taking the time to read it. I know that the farm keeps you so very busy. Gibby is a complex character. I hope the readers connect with him like I have. :hug: Hugs to you too. There is still a lot more to come.
Link to comment
On 04/30/2012 12:18 PM, Foster said:
The writing is excellent, you create great rapport with the reader.
Thank you Sam, I'm working very hard on this story. I really want the readers to love it as much as I do. Thanks for reading :)
Link to comment

Oh poor guy! He has been through a lot. People can be so rude sometimes..

Very well written, KC.. reading the next now :)

Link to comment
On 05/03/2012 10:08 PM, SidLove said:
Oh poor guy! He has been through a lot. People can be so rude sometimes..

Very well written, KC.. reading the next now :)

Some of the rudest things I've heard are out of the mouths of people who should have known better! :huh:

 

Replying to the next :P

Link to comment

WOW, what a great chapter. I love these two and the relationship they have. It's like it's only them against the world father and son. This chapter was wonderfully written and I loved the playful thing going on with Scott, then the stupid *bleep bleep* woman, Really lady how old are you? GWAD!!!!! Poor Gibby...

Link to comment
On 05/11/2012 10:42 PM, Naptowngirl said:
WOW, what a great chapter. I love these two and the relationship they have. It's like it's only them against the world father and son. This chapter was wonderfully written and I loved the playful thing going on with Scott, then the stupid *bleep bleep* woman, Really lady how old are you? GWAD!!!!! Poor Gibby...
The relationship between Gibby and his dad is special. They've been through a lot. Some of the worst things I've ever heard are out of the mouths of little old ladies who should have known better! (my grandmother ranked right up there with them! :P ) Thanks for reading
Link to comment

Great chapter! First of all i love Gibby and Jonathan's relationship. You can tell that Jonathan loves his son, and that Gibby loves his dad despite how he lashes out sometimes. It really is like them against the world, just the two of them trying to move past the tragedy that altered their lives. I love again the small little clues into what's going on here. It's sad to think that Gibby could have died in this fire, and that he's got scars over 40% of his body. KNowing that Jonathan almost lost him just further cements to me how much JOnathan loves his kid, and i have no doubt he's going to do whatever it takes to protect Gibby.

that was very apparent in the restaurant when Jonathan stares down the patrons in the diner. poor gibby, is it any wonder he's self conscious about his scars? I did love him flirting with Scott. That whole scene worked out so well. Gibby very easily could have been talking about a hot date lol thus giving validity to Scott's jealousy ha! nicely done. off to read the next chapter

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..