Jump to content
    K.C.
  • Author
  • 1,754 Words
  • 6,501 Views
  • 50 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Shepherd's Crook - 5. Chapter 5

Walking in the front door, Gibby was greeted by the delicious aroma of tangy tomato and cheese that filled the house. The smell tingled his nose bringing a loud growl from his teenage stomach. He wasn’t hungry until now. That sandwich had done little to keep his hunger at bay and the thought of his dad’s twice baked spaghetti had his mouth watering.

“Wow, you’re home early.” Gibby shouted towards the kitchen as he pulled out the small bundle of back-to-school paperwork that had to be completed before tomorrow, and carried it to the breakfast bar.

“I wanted to be here when you got home.” Jonathan glanced up from the vegetables he was chopping on the countertop. “Soooo…how was your first day?”

Gibby hid his frustration behind a fake smile, “It was fine.”

Jonathan watched him for a moment, “What’s wrong? Did something happen?” There was no fooling his father.

“No, Dad, it was fine, I promise. This place is going to take a little getting used to, that’s all.”

“Just give it a chance.” Jonathan’s tone suddenly softened. The move was harder on his son then him. The last thing Gibby needed was Jonathan making things more difficult. “What are the kids like?”

There was no way in hell that Gibby was going to tell his father about the kindergarten incident, so he shrugged his shoulders and picked a cucumber out of the salad bowl. “I met a girl at lunch. Her name’s Shelby and she was kind of cool.”

Jonathan’s eyebrows quickly shot up bringing a giggle from Gibby. “Don’t get your hopes up, old man. Just because Shepherd’s Crook doesn’t have a GLBT welcoming committee, I’m not changing teams that fast.”

“What about the other kids, did anyone feel like they were gay friendly?”

Gibby thought for a second. The boys had given him lots of curious glances during the day, but he wouldn’t call any of them hopeful. “Don’t worry, Dad. I’m not interested in dating anyone any time soon.”

Noticing the stack of papers, Jonathan nodded his head towards the pile, “Did they assign homework on the first day of school?”

Gibby let out a chuckle, “Oh, it’s homework alright, but it’s not for me.”

“That’s all for me?” Jonathan’s mouth dropped open as he stepped closer, reading the paper on top. “What kind of institution is Grady running?”

Shaking his head tumbled auburn locks around Gibby’s forehead and ears. “Welcome to public education 101. If it happens at school, there’s a form for it…and in color-coded triplicate too.” Gibby continued to laugh at his father’s reaction.

“Lockner didn’t have all that crap to complete each year--”

The smile disappeared from Gibby’s face, “Yes, they did! You just didn’t see it.” He stopped himself before adding that his mother had always filled out his paperwork, but letting the unsaid words hang in the air.

***

The rest of the week passed without any unexpected run-ins with Amanda. With the pep rally being scheduled for next Friday, the following week she had something else to focus her evil attention on other than trying to make Gibby’s life miserable. The first game of the season between Shepherd’s Crook and their biggest rival, Mt. Jackson, was the highlight of the entire season.

The game was important and, as the girlfriend of the captain of the football team, Amanda designated herself as the head organizer of the pep rally committee which left Gibby alone to settle into life in Shepherd’s Crook.

***

“Can anyone name a metal that remains liquid at room temperature?” Ms. Stein asked, perched from the corner of her big wooden desk in the front of her classroom. A hush fell over the room. Several students nervously flipped through their textbook, searching for the answers that they wouldn’t find. It wasn’t in the book.

With a mischievous glint in her eyes, she glanced around the room, waiting for someone to attempt to answer the question. Several students lowered their eyes, not wanting to meet her gaze.

“Come on…anyone?” She jumped up and walked between the aisles trying to engage her students, encouraging them to try.

“Mercury,” Tanner spoke without looking up from the notebook he was covering with doodles.

“Very good, Mr. Mitchell,” she praised her student, but continued to look at his other classmates, “but there’s more than just one. Does anyone else have any ideas?” Ms. Stein asked the silent classroom. She liked to challenge her students to think and waited to see if someone would attempt to answer.

Gibby watched them twisting uncomfortable in their seats, “Francium.” He answered while everyone else stayed quiet.

Ms. Stein’s face lit up. “Yes! Good job Gibby, and can you name the others?”

She was putting him on the spot. The few times she had spoken to Gibby, she quickly realized that he was a very intelligent boy. Now, in front of his new peers, she hoped her question didn’t backfire and embarrass him.

“Others? They might be liquid on a blazing hot July day, but I wouldn’t call it a comfortable room temperature,” Gibby snorted, trying to hide his grin. He really liked Ms. Stein and didn’t want to contradict her in front of her class.

Once she knew that Gibby had the answer, she went for broke. “Since you obviously know the answer, Mr. Robinson, why don’t you enlighten the rest of the class?”

Ms. Stein smiled, waiting for him to wow his classmates.

"Rubidium, Cesium, and Gallium.” The students started to buzz as soon as he answered. Tanner stopped drawing to glance over his shoulder at Gibby sitting the next row over and two desks back. "A lot of people think Bromine is one too, but technically, it's not a metal."

Tanner’s mouth was hidden behind his shoulder, but Gibby could tell by the crinkle of his bright blue eyes that he was smiling.

“Excellent, Mr. Robinson. Just for that, you get first pick at the lab tables in the back.” She beamed at him as if he had won the lottery, but Gibby continued to look confused. The big black tables in the back of the room displayed test-tube racks and glass beakers, but until now the students had sat at the individual desks at the front of the classroom.

“Today is lab partner day.” As soon as the words were in the air, Amanda’s face beamed as she glanced over to Ethan, making sure he understood that they would be each other’s partner.

Gibby’s heart started to race. There were twenty-two students in the class, but what if nobody wanted to be his partner. Looking around the room, all eyes were on him. They all stared at him, but there wasn’t a friendly smile among their faces.

“Go on, pick a table and take your things with you.” Ms. Stein encouraged him.

Slowly easing out of the comfort of his desk, Gibby slung his satchel over his shoulder and walked to the back and picked a table near the window with a view of the overgrown oak tree in front of the school.

“Who’s next?” Amanda demanded.

A coy smirk glided over their teacher’s face. “That would be Ms. Blackfeather.”

Sunshine glanced up and smiled.

“Why does Sunny get to choose next?” Amanda whined in a high nasally tone.

“Because,” Ms. Stein smirked as she walked back to her favorite spot on her desk, “Blackfeather is the first name in the alphabet.”

Gibby enjoyed watching the frustration wash over Amanda’s face as Ms. Stein called students according to their last names to pick a lab table. When Mark Butler tried to squeeze into the chair beside Sunshine, Ms. Stein shook her head and told him to pick an empty table. The teacher had a plan, one that Amanda wasn’t going to like.

Once all the tables held a single student, Ms. Stein pulled out a small blue box and walked around the room. Each of the remaining students drew a card labeled one through eleven. Glancing at the tables beside him, Gibby noticed they were all numbered and his was number eight.

“Number eight! Go have a seat, Tanner.”

Gibby’s head shot up in time to see Tanner walking right toward him. His blue eyes were kind and warm as he approached the table. For a moment, Gibby forgot to breathe.

As Tanner sat down, the warm scent of his designer cologne filled the space between them.

“Looks like we’re partners.” Tanner’s voice washed over Gibby, bringing a strange mixture of tingling chills and hot flush that peppered his skin. He wanted to answer him, yet Gibby had suddenly forgotten how to talk.

***

Just when Gibby thought the day couldn’t get any better, Tanner looked up from his book and smiled at him when he walked into the busy cafeteria. It wasn’t a masked grin, but a genuine smile. Tanner’s eyes gazed over Gibby, taking in his long denim covered legs and gray hoodie before the blond boy quickly returned his attention back to his book. Gibby tried to make out the title, but it was too far away to read the small print.

The usual tables were already filled, so Gibby made his way to the far corner where a few students appeared to be studying. Gibby hadn’t seen Shelby again since that first day. She looked younger than his other classmates, so she might be assigned to a different lunch schedule. That was too bad because Gibby had really wanted to talk to her. Nobody at the table looked up when he plopped down onto a chair warmed by the noon sunshine streaming into the cafeteria.

Gibby fought the urge to look over at Tanner, seated at the center table surrounded by his popular friends, but he didn’t want anyone to catch him ogling the gorgeous teen dream. Instead he dug out the sandwich and Cheetos from his satchel and started to eat his lunch to keep his mind off Tanner.

“Incoming!” The frantic shout was echoed by a squeal of laughter.

Trying to ignoring the chaos behind him, Gibby never saw the pudding missile until the plastic cup hit and exploded on the table in front of him, splattering butterscotch across his face and hair.

“What the fuck?” Gibby muttered as the other students sharing the table jumped up and away from him and the sticky mess. The sickening sweet stench made his stomach churn. He didn’t have to see it happen to know that Amanda Grady was behind the attack.

The drama at Shepherd's Crook continues. Let me know what you think about it, Like it? Hate it? Want Amanda to get bitch-slapped? :lol: I love to hear from the readers.  
Thanks so much for reading guy!
KC :D 
Copyright © 2012 K.C.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Bitch-slap Amanda NOW pleaseeee!!! Ugh I can't wait until something bad happens to her. When it does, can you make her embarrassment as public as possible? :evil: Anyhoo~ Tanner, eh? :D He sounds like a cool guy. Care to tell me what his intentions are towards our Gibby? :P

Link to comment
On 05/01/2012 05:58 AM, EmDee said:
Bitch-slap Amanda NOW pleaseeee!!! Ugh I can't wait until something bad happens to her. When it does, can you make her embarrassment as public as possible? :evil: Anyhoo~ Tanner, eh? :D He sounds like a cool guy. Care to tell me what his intentions are towards our Gibby? :P
quick quick quick! Amanda...what can I say? there is so much more to come :whistle: Tanner is a great character. I think everyone will like him. Thanks for reading, you speed-reader! :P
Link to comment

Do I want to see Amanda bitch-slapped? ABSOLUTELY! ...and often. ...and publicly. ...and by someone who can really put her in her place -- or at least a notch or two down. I was disappointed that the lab partner assignments didn't explain partner she got: someone not in her court, I hope. Enjoyed the chapter but looking forward to more!

Link to comment

Ooooooh, I love Tanned already... maybe a future relationship or at least a new friend? That would be nice, oh, and about Amanda getting bitch-slapped....LET'S DO IT! :D

That would make my day if something bad happened to her! Oh, and I love the science teacher, too. Poor Gibby, though, life is tough for the little man right now :(

Thanks for writing, as always! :)

Link to comment

Do I want to see Amanda bitch-slapped? First I'm not familiar with the expression,huh.png but think I get the overall meaning of it. Secondly I'm not a believer of revenge, yes, it feels good for the wronged person to see their bully hurting, but most likely it would just back fire. To humiliate her, especially publicly, would only cause more hatred and worsen the problem. (Hey, maybe that's just what you should do then?!evil.gif It would only make matters worse for Gibby - and that's fiction; make sure you torment your characters, especially the good guys) But in real life the problem would just move. She would find someone else to take out her anger on if she no longer had Gibby or who ever was before him.

 

What I really want to know is why she is acting the way she is! So far it doesn't make sense to me. (Which is good, because it makes me want to read more.) What motivates her actions towards Gibby? The first day she didn't even know him, she had never met him before. Yes, there are a lot of people who like to make life difficult for others, but still something motivates their actions. Had she heard something about Gibby before he began school? Was she trying to impress her friends with a mean joke on Gibby's expense? I want to see if there is something in Amanda's history and/or in her character that has made her to this nasty person. What is she afraid of? Is Gibby a threat to her? And if so, in what way?

 

As long as you give me some explanation (before the end of the story) to who and what she is, I guess you can ... 'bitch-slap' ... her all you want.thumbsup.gif It will make an interesting story.

 

As for the Tanner guy, I'm getting interested in what book(s) he is reading, and what it will say about his character. And will this last event in the cafeteria make him look up from his book and maybe show some support for poor Gibby? Let Gibby make at least some acquaintances or even better, friends before you and Amanda keep tormenting him. biggrin.png

Link to comment
On 05/01/2012 06:58 AM, hillj69 said:
Do I want to see Amanda bitch-slapped? ABSOLUTELY! ...and often. ...and publicly. ...and by someone who can really put her in her place -- or at least a notch or two down. I was disappointed that the lab partner assignments didn't explain partner she got: someone not in her court, I hope. Enjoyed the chapter but looking forward to more!
:) I think that as long as Amanda is unhappy with the lab partner assignment, that makes everyone happy :D much more to come. I'm glad you like it Hillj96
Link to comment
On 05/01/2012 08:06 AM, MuddyRiverGirl said:
Ooooooh, I love Tanned already... maybe a future relationship or at least a new friend? That would be nice, oh, and about Amanda getting bitch-slapped....LET'S DO IT! :D

That would make my day if something bad happened to her! Oh, and I love the science teacher, too. Poor Gibby, though, life is tough for the little man right now :(

Thanks for writing, as always! :)

What can I say about Tanner :whistle: We are going to see a lot more of him. Ms. Stein's character was a teacher from when I was in school, she was an amazing person. Gibby is a tough kid. Thanks for reading! :)
Link to comment
On 05/01/2012 08:55 AM, sorgbarn said:
Do I want to see Amanda bitch-slapped? First I'm not familiar with the expression,huh.png but think I get the overall meaning of it. Secondly I'm not a believer of revenge, yes, it feels good for the wronged person to see their bully hurting, but most likely it would just back fire. To humiliate her, especially publicly, would only cause more hatred and worsen the problem. (Hey, maybe that's just what you should do then?!evil.gif It would only make matters worse for Gibby - and that's fiction; make sure you torment your characters, especially the good guys) But in real life the problem would just move. She would find someone else to take out her anger on if she no longer had Gibby or who ever was before him.

 

What I really want to know is why she is acting the way she is! So far it doesn't make sense to me. (Which is good, because it makes me want to read more.) What motivates her actions towards Gibby? The first day she didn't even know him, she had never met him before. Yes, there are a lot of people who like to make life difficult for others, but still something motivates their actions. Had she heard something about Gibby before he began school? Was she trying to impress her friends with a mean joke on Gibby's expense? I want to see if there is something in Amanda's history and/or in her character that has made her to this nasty person. What is she afraid of? Is Gibby a threat to her? And if so, in what way?

 

As long as you give me some explanation (before the end of the story) to who and what she is, I guess you can ... 'bitch-slap' ... her all you want.thumbsup.gif It will make an interesting story.

 

As for the Tanner guy, I'm getting interested in what book(s) he is reading, and what it will say about his character. And will this last event in the cafeteria make him look up from his book and maybe show some support for poor Gibby? Let Gibby make at least some acquaintances or even better, friends before you and Amanda keep tormenting him. biggrin.png

I love your reviews. You are such an insightful reader. You come up with some great questions 0:) I wish I had some awesome answers...more to come :P
Link to comment
On 05/01/2012 09:45 AM, Billy Martin said:
Good chapter KC. Can't wait until the next one :)
Thanks for reading Billy, more will be up on Monday :D
Link to comment

lol, I remembered Mercury and Bromine, but none of the others I even remembered. I like Gibby.

Link to comment

Ok, Gibby is way too intelligent than I was at his age, I only knew about mercury, not the rest.

And bitch slapping Amanda!! Hell Yeah!!!devilsmiley.gif

Link to comment

Nah leave Amanda alone for now, I'm sure there will be payback at some point.

I would like to point out Bromine isnt a metal, it's in the Halogen group, and can be quite volatile at room temperature. That's what I got from my scientist bf :P

Great chapter KC, and I'm kind of liking Tanner more now. Blondie is growing on me :) Nice work :hug:

Link to comment

Bitch-slap Amanda, tar and feather her and tie her to a post in the middle of the school yard, naked, (already tarred and feathered, mind you) to humiliate her, see if she likes it! The bitch! lol But no....no one would do that b/c omg, she's the principal's daugher. She must be exempt from any abuse. Too bad. She needs to be knocked down a few pegs there.

 

I wonder if anyone will come to Gibby's rescue. I would like it to be Tanner, but will he leave the safe confines of the popular table to help the new kid who the bitch of said popular table threw the pudding at? (ha, did that even make sense? lol)

 

I wish Shelby was there; she seemed pretty cool and a good person to vent to.

 

Great job KC, anxiously awaiting Monday's installment. :)

Link to comment

I so wanna bitch slap Amanda.. too bad there is no icon for that tongue.png hahaha...

so far that is the life of Gibby.. have to wait until next chapter to see more drama

if lucky more Gibby and Tanner whistle.gif

Thxs KC, another great chapter thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Link to comment

Another well-worked chapter. I'm with sorgbarn about amanda. i want to see into her twisted soul a little, rather than have her develop (or not develop, perhaps) into a mere bully and nothing else. it will be interesting to see how you work with her. oh, and bring on the romance KC - foreplay is all well and good, but ... :) Really, it's a great story, carefully put together and subtle. Wish i could write so well.

Link to comment
On 05/01/2012 01:32 PM, Foster said:
lol, I remembered Mercury and Bromine, but none of the others I even remembered. I like Gibby.
:D I like Gibby, too. he's a good kid and a fun character. Thanks so much for reading, Sam.

:D

Link to comment
On 05/01/2012 02:32 PM, Gulab Jamun said:
Ok, Gibby is way too intelligent than I was at his age, I only knew about mercury, not the rest.

And bitch slapping Amanda!! Hell Yeah!!!devilsmiley.gif

He's a smart kid! :P (smarter than me too) Maybe I should put poll up on who wants to see Amanda bitch-slapped :lol: I'm glad you're still liking it.
Link to comment
On 05/01/2012 08:13 PM, Mark92 said:
Nah leave Amanda alone for now, I'm sure there will be payback at some point.

I would like to point out Bromine isnt a metal, it's in the Halogen group, and can be quite volatile at room temperature. That's what I got from my scientist bf :P

Great chapter KC, and I'm kind of liking Tanner more now. Blondie is growing on me :) Nice work :hug:

Haha :lol: that will teach me for writing without dusting off my old science textbooks to research...I'm not as smart as I thought I was! :P As soon as I read your post, that I remembered that it's the only non-metalic element that is liquid at room temp and oh yeah, very volatile! Thank Suby for me, I'll have to change that. :D
Link to comment
On 05/02/2012 01:21 AM, Lisa said:
Bitch-slap Amanda, tar and feather her and tie her to a post in the middle of the school yard, naked, (already tarred and feathered, mind you) to humiliate her, see if she likes it! The bitch! lol But no....no one would do that b/c omg, she's the principal's daugher. She must be exempt from any abuse. Too bad. She needs to be knocked down a few pegs there.

 

I wonder if anyone will come to Gibby's rescue. I would like it to be Tanner, but will he leave the safe confines of the popular table to help the new kid who the bitch of said popular table threw the pudding at? (ha, did that even make sense? lol)

 

I wish Shelby was there; she seemed pretty cool and a good person to vent to.

 

Great job KC, anxiously awaiting Monday's installment. :)

Amanda is one of those evil girls that think they can get away with everything, throw in that her daddy is Principal and she thinks she's untouchable...take her down a few pegs? :whistle: we'll have to wait and see :P

 

Gibby will have some ups and downs as he adjusts to his new life and new school. Thanks so much for reading! :D

Link to comment
On 05/02/2012 02:15 AM, unlikelyu said:
I so wanna bitch slap Amanda.. too bad there is no icon for that tongue.png hahaha...

so far that is the life of Gibby.. have to wait until next chapter to see more drama

if lucky more Gibby and Tanner whistle.gif

Thxs KC, another great chapter thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Ooooh I like that! Let's send Myr a message asking for a bitch-slap icon! :D Glad you like. The countdown has begun to next Monday :P
Link to comment
On 05/02/2012 04:31 AM, carringtonrj said:
Another well-worked chapter. I'm with sorgbarn about amanda. i want to see into her twisted soul a little, rather than have her develop (or not develop, perhaps) into a mere bully and nothing else. it will be interesting to see how you work with her. oh, and bring on the romance KC - foreplay is all well and good, but ... :) Really, it's a great story, carefully put together and subtle. Wish i could write so well.
I'm trying to add little bits of back story as we go. Now that we have the main characters, there is going to be a lot more story, but I'm still taking a much slower pace. I'm trying to set a more enjoyable pace then my fast and frantic style that I'm known for. The encouragement from readers and authors on GA have helped me fine a nice even pace and grow as a writer. Thanks so much for reading. :D (And my editor keeps tying my fingers together to make me slow down :P)
Link to comment

Great chapter. I second the requests for character development with Amanda and a bit of a jump start to the romance. Unless you have a plan. In that case, ignore us all because the story is really great.

Link to comment
On 05/02/2012 10:52 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
Great chapter. I second the requests for character development with Amanda and a bit of a jump start to the romance. Unless you have a plan. In that case, ignore us all because the story is really great.
Thanks for readin Rebelghost, there is more but as far as having a plan? I better get one of those before someone figures out that I don't know what I'm doing :P JK

 

More is coming, things are...developing 0:)

Link to comment

I am soooo liking this story. Normally a fast frantic pace? You? No! :P It shows that you are taking your time and developiing the characters. Very nice, babe. Can I jump on the 'is it monday yet' bandwagon?

Look forward to more :)

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..